PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot League Championship Game, Georgetown at Lehigh

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2011, 12:04 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/game-preview-patriot-league.html

The breakdown comes tomorrow, but the preview comes late this evening.

RichH2
November 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM
How fragile is Hoya confidence? LU this season has not geared up early in games. That wouldbe a mistake vs Hoyas.Best to deflate them early.If not a tough nailbiter just like last year

van
November 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'm usually a nervous neely about these type of games, but this week I really think the guys take care of business and win going away.

Engineer86
November 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I agree. I think last week was due to 4 days with no power and the complete disruption. I expect Lehigh to come out strong, but it is great to have another big game!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/breaking-down-georgetown-11122011.html

Breakdown, LFN's Keys to the Game, and Fearless Prediction.

RichH2
November 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Nice analysis, if hoyas play same D as at FU, Lum will rack up huge yards. Tough to score on them inside the 20 via pass. Barket,Fitz et al must factor

dcf
November 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I think the analysis is a fair one. One element that you didn't look at is turnovers. I think Lehigh is a very good team, but the game Georgetown can win is if they get turnovers. They're plus 17 in turnovers this year. They turned over Fordham 4 times, Holy Cross twice and Colgate 3 times. McCabe, Schaetzke and Moore are real playmakers on D. Aside from them, they start 3 seniors (with a lot of starts) in the secondary (Heimuli, Quintero, Kaisamba).

The Hoya offense lacks star power, but has made enough plays to win games.

I'm not saying that Lehigh won't win, as I think that overall they have more talent. But if Georgetown can (i) not give up big plays in the running game, (ii) contain the passing game and get QB pressure and (iii) get Lehigh to turn the ball over, that's a game they can win. They've done all three of those things before.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I think the analysis is a fair one. One element that you didn't look at is turnovers. I think Lehigh is a very good team, but the game Georgetown can win is if they get turnovers. They're plus 17 in turnovers this year. They turned over Fordham 4 times, Holy Cross twice and Colgate 3 times. McCabe, Schaetzke and Moore are real playmakers on D. Aside from them, they start 3 seniors (with a lot of starts) in the secondary (Heimuli, Quintero, Kaisamba).

The Hoya offense lacks star power, but has made enough plays to win games.

I'm not saying that Lehigh won't win, as I think that overall they have more talent. But if Georgetown can (i) not give up big plays in the running game, (ii) contain the passing game and get QB pressure and (iii) get Lehigh to turn the ball over, that's a game they can win. They've done all three of those things before.

Welcome dcf. I think you make some great points. Since I'm writing from the Lehigh perspective, I'd say that I agree 100% that the turnover battle will be critical and that one of Lehigh's keys was to run the ball in an effort to not turn over the ball via the interception. And I agree, they've forced turnovers from everyone they've played. Where G'Town has struggled (and they haven't struggled much) is when they've gone down early, and needed to play catch-up.

dcf
November 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Welcome dcf. I think you make some great points. Since I'm writing from the Lehigh perspective, I'd say that I agree 100% that the turnover battle will be critical and that one of Lehigh's keys was to run the ball in an effort to not turn over the ball via the interception. And I agree, they've forced turnovers from everyone they've played. Where G'Town has struggled (and they haven't struggled much) is when they've gone down early, and needed to play catch-up.
Agreed. If Lehigh gets up by two TDs early, that would be a tough row to hoe for Georgetown. Although I do not expect them to play like they did at Bucknell.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM
31-21 Lehigh.

UNH Fanboi
November 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Go Hoyas!

ngineer
November 11th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Weather forecast is bright sunshine with a high of 55 F. Not too much wind. Perfect weather this time of year. Lehigh will come out and take control early. I really sense a strong feeling of "finishing the job". Georgetown's record has the team's attention. The key is going to be turnovers. If Lehigh takes care of the ball, we will win going away. My fearless prediction, Lehigh 31-13.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Go Hawks!!

Pains me to miss this one!

DerHoya
November 12th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Go Hawks!!

Pains me to miss this one!

It pains me to miss this program milestone too. Get 'em Hoyas!

21-20. DC is our playground.

RichH2
November 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
It pains me to miss this program milestone too. Get 'em Hoyas!

21-20. DC is our playground.

May well be young fella but we are playing in our house. Go Lehigh!!

Sader87
November 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Lehigh is going to blow them out...the real PL championship game was played last week at Goodman.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Lehigh is going to blow them out...the real PL championship game was played last week at Goodman.

As opposed to two weeks ago at Fitton Field?

DetroitFlyer
November 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Lehigh should win but I will be pulling for Georgetown.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Agreed

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Kempf is having a poor game, not much on his throws.

DerHoya
November 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Jeremy Moore's kick returns are keeping us in this.

Pass TD to Waisseniegger, missed XP, 20-12

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Final, 34-12.

Georgetown's offense looked like something out of 2009.

colorless raider
November 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Final, 34-12.

Too bad, but still a terrific year for the Hoyas.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Feeling pretty down about the offensive effort--Hoya defense turned the ball over in the Lehigh red zone on the third play of the game and the offense managed no points for the effort.

Then again, I saved the $670 in air fare, so sitting through it would have really made it worse.

Pards Rule
November 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Good concept! At least you can travel ubercheap to Frisco for the NC game! See the NDSU Bison there!

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Nothing better than having the league title wrapped up going into Lehigh-Lafayette. Good overall game for the Mountain Hawks. Several mistakes carrying the ball, as the Hoyas stripped the ball on a couple occasions. Defense was very strong this week with Dokouslis having a big game on the D-Line. Special teams are still a bit of a mess, but that Divers punt to the 1 was a beauty. Hopefully Barket will be healed and set to play once playoffs begin in 3 weeks.

Awful crowd today. 6044. Barely any students.

LUHawker
November 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM

That is a real shame and the student body should be embarrassed if this was the case. I thought Coen and the university were making a big push for student attendance, so this is a real bummer.

hawkineer
November 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Agree with total lack of student support. I guess it was too cold ;) for them to show up. LU is lucky it has solid support from public and alumns because the students are AWOL.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM
They made a good effort, I felt. Two separate emails were sent out encouraging students to come and stating that this was "The Patriot League Championship Game." It was stressed that fans could go on the field and celebrate afterwards. A YouTube video of Lum imploring students to attend was attached. The ticket office mentioned the game to everyone who came to pick up Lafayette tickets. I was ashamed of how few students came. Those who did left before the 4th quarter.

What makes it worse is that probably 800-1000 of those 6k were Georgetown fans. They were a pretty vocal bunch early on. Hats off to them.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Agree with total lack of student support. I guess it was too cold ;) for them to show up. LU is lucky it has solid support from public and alumns because the students are AWOL.

A huge contingent from my class made the trip down to UDel last year for that freezing cold December game, so I don't even know if the temperature was much of a factor. Lehigh kids are just apathetic about our teams, in general. Maybe if they could start serving alcohol inside Goodman...xrolleyesx

RichH2
November 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Good game,perfectday. Very disappointing student crowd.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Because of then three days off from snow storm, classes are being made up on Saturdays. Last week was parents weekend and next weekend well... Just not happening. That may have had something to do with it, but still a pretty poor showing from students. Those that were there had no idea a game was going on.

hawkineer
November 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Because of then three days off from snow storm, classes are being made up on Saturdays. ... Just not happening.

Perhaps that was it. Let's hope the students make up for it next week against Laughing-at-it.

RichH2
November 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Agree tough turn aroundfor kids with makeup classes to show for 12;30 game.Anyone know extent of Barket's injury?Since I'm in car how about Bball score? Thanks.

hawkineer
November 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Agree tough turn aroundfor kids with makeup classes to show for 12;30 game.Anyone know extent of Barket's injury?Since I'm in car how about Bball score? Thanks.Bball lost 86-77. About to watch the Pitt - LU wrestling meet on the internet.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Because of then three days off from snow storm, classes are being made up on Saturdays. Last week was parents weekend and next weekend well... Just not happening. That may have had something to do with it, but still a pretty poor showing from students. Those that were there had no idea a game was going on.

Not many classes are being made up, especially today. Today was the optional makeup for Tuesday's classes, which only lost one day, unlike MW or MWF ones. Last Saturday was the optional makeup for Monday. Dec 3 is the optional makeup for Wednesday.

RichH2
November 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks. If I get home in time also will watch match, s/b closer than I thought it would be a couple of weeks ago.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Meanwhile #1 NDSU loses to unranked team

Look for Lehigh to enter the top 5 in Coaches and TSN polls

That's quite surprising and probably worth a drop below Lehigh. Should be interesting to see if Lehigh could grab a seed with more upsets. UNI plays tonight and a loss by the Panthers would help our chances.

I'm guessing pitiful attendances at Goodman will hurt any chances of hosting a home game in the playoffs. 7519 (UNH), 6185 (Liberty), 6072 (YALE), 9217 (HC/Parent's weekend), and 6044 (Gtown) are just embarrassing.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Mountain Hawks outgained the Hoyas 517-199 with another solid game by the D. Lum threw for 393, but no TDs.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Mountain Hawks outgained the Hoyas 517-199 with another solid game by the D. Lum threw for 393, but no TDs.

I see a trip to Towson in our future.

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Congrats Lehigh on winning the League title xsmileyclapx

And congrats to Georgetown on a heck of a season xnodx I don't expect to see you guys in the playoff field, but I'm definitely rooting for it xthumbsupx

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Agreed. A matchup with the former Patriot League foe seems inevitable. At least it would be within driving distance for most. They do have that stupid track around their field, though.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Congrats Lehigh on winning the League title xsmileyclapx

And congrats to Georgetown on a heck of a season xnodx I don't expect to see you guys in the playoff field, but I'm definitely rooting for it xthumbsupx

Thanks Raider. As Lehigh fans crowded around the team following the trophy presentation, the entire Georgetown fan base congregated around the Hoyas outside of their locker room. Quite the sight. What a great season for them! xsmileyclapx

Bogus Megapardus
November 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Please do well in the playoffs, Engineers. Try not to embarrass the rest of us, will you? Next week would be a good time to kick back, relax, rest your starters and get ready for the first round.

van
November 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Please do well in the playoffs, Engineers. Try not to embarrass the rest of us, will you? Next week would be a good time to kick back, relax, rest your starters and get ready for the first round.

Good idea Bogie, we can probably still win with the 2 deep.

van
November 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Beats Maine, that's a shorter drive than Goodman for me.

CFBfan
November 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Final, 34-12.

the GU O Line was man handled by the LU D line

Bogus Megapardus
November 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Good idea Bogie, we can probably still win with the 2 deep.

Hell yea. Go with the 4 deep. Play all the frosh. Sounds good to me.

ngineer
November 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
The initial word I hear is not good on Barket. Suspect broken ankle, but waiting for x-rays when I left Grace Hall tonight. Even if sprained, I would not play him against Laughyette. Fitz is a tough quick runner and as a Senior should just love starting in The Game. Sherman did a nice job running today too.
Amazing how we dominated the game and yet did not play a good, complete game. Early turnovers had me worried as that has been Gtown's forte this year. But we got 3 ints back later. STs alway have a glitch, and this week it was KO coverage--horrendous. The only reason Gtown was able to get points was that several drives started at midfield. Lum could have had 500 yards passing today if they had put the metal down in the fourth. Defense played very well. Offense put them in some tough spots with the TOs, but they held well. Only Gtown TD was a pass deflected by our DB. Looked like a nice breakup at first in the endzone, but an alert Hoya come over and grabbed it. Gtown QB has a nice arm, but accuracy was poor. many over throws and some too hard that went through receiver hands. I was concerned about the size of the Hoya OL--huge, but quickly saw they were not very athletic. We had good pressure on QB all day. Anytime you control the clock for over 38 minutes, 517 yards to 199, one should be pleased. But I know these guys can play better. Good to see Jimmy Jefferson have a big da..8 or 9 catches. Hoyas played a very soft Cover 2 and we just took what they gave us early--a lot of short stuff. Then when they tightened up Lum to Drwal and Spadola caught fire. This is the first time since 2000-01 that a PL team has won the title outright in back to back years..and Lehigh did it then.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
The initial word I hear is not good on Barket. Suspect broken ankle, but waiting for x-rays when I left Grace Hall tonight. Even if sprained, I would not play him against Laughyette.

Tough to see him go down after such a great season. At least he'll most likely have 3 weeks to recover before our first playoff game.

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 12:18 AM
From Barket's Twitter, it sounds like its broken and he's having surgery this week. :(

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
My game summary:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/lehigh-34-georgetown-12-final.html

Barket injury sucks!