PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Battle for the Old Mountain Jug - Predictions, banter, etc.

asumike83
November 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
ASU has played on a higher level at home all season, figures to be plenty angry after laying an egg in Greenville last weekend and is facing a Western Carolina team that is still without a Division I win this season.

You never how things will go (who expected such a close game in '09?) but I think this one could get ugly. It will be Senior Day for Brian Quick, DeAndre Presley, Matt Ruff, Orry Frye, Travaris Cadet, Ben Jorden and Dan Wylie (among the starters). I think WCU will come out fired up and may keep it respectable early, but way too much ASU in the end.

49-14 Appalachian

What do y'all think?

Go Apps
November 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Better be a blood bath

ASU 56 - WCU 24

And the same at Elon

ASU 42 - Elon 17

ASU needs to win impressively over the last two weeks - believe it or not a top seed is within their reach - why

-Sam Houston - I think they lose once - when they do they will fall behind App in polls
-ODU - think they lose this weekend -
-Mont st I believe will beat Mont - they fall behind
- GSU or Wofford will lose and GSU will lose next week for sure and Wofford can still lose at UTC one or both will fall behind ASU and the pollsters dont like Wofford
-N Hamp loses again
-Maine will lose again
-Towson could lose again
-Lehigh could lose this weekend
-I believe UNI loses again -

possible to grab a 3 or 4 seed based on the above someone or two socons team could snag a top seed - not impossible and the top conference will shine through they really look at scedules and GPI for seating and yes they want games at ASU and GSU and montana if possible - this is still a business - ASU is only 8 in the coaches poll

cbarrier90
November 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
ASU needs to win impressively over the last two weeks - believe it or not a top seed is within their reach - why

Won't happen. Even if ASU was able to grab a share of the SoCon title, in that situation, Furman gets the autobid and most likely the seed.

ASU needs to hope for what amounts to a minor miracle. Wofford over GSU I can very well see happening. I cannot say the same for UTC over Wofford.

asumike83
November 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM
We have to count on about 6-7 teams to fall in the next two weeks to even be in the conversation for a seed. Seems like it is out of the question at this point, all we can do is win the next 2. If that happens then we will be in the playoffs, seed or not. Once your'e in, anything can happen.

Smitty
November 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Scores around 40-50 sound about correct for App and 17-25 for WCU.

Would love for it to be closer but our defense make it a little difficult.

Appaholic
November 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I think JJ lights WCU up like Armanti circa 2007 Richmond playoff game...I think App drops 80+ this weekend....Wagner loses his job next week just like Briggs...

MasonJar
November 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Won't happen. Even if ASU was able to grab a share of the SoCon title, in that situation, Furman gets the autobid and most likely the seed.

ASU needs to hope for what amounts to a minor miracle. Wofford over GSU I can very well see happening. I cannot say the same for UTC over Wofford.

If I remember correctly, we have finished behind the conference title winner and still received a seed in the past (might have been a Wofford SoCon Championship and we got the higher seed, can't remember the year). I don't see Furman getting a seed this year as they have had to come from "too far behind" to earn their ranking. The teams from the SoCon that will have an opportunity for a seed are ASU, Wofford and GaSouthern. Odds are it will be GaSouthern from the SoCon as a top 4 seed. Wofford has minor hope. ASU can wish this year along with Furman.

ASUG8
November 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I predict a 3rd quarter exodus with people trying to get to dinner early. I don't usually predict, but I'll say 45-10 and the jug (dusty as it is) stays in Boone.

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I predict a 3rd quarter exodus with people trying to get to dinner early. I don't usually predict, but I'll say 45-10 and the jug (dusty as it is) stays in Boone.

You going to be there this week? And if so, are you going to actually stop by. HA!

Apphole
November 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
We should win by at least 100 points. Western is not looking so hot, even by their standards.

ASUG8
November 10th, 2011, 03:51 PM
You going to be there this week? And if so, are you going to actually stop by. HA!

We'll be there, but with two other couples. Sorry about missing you guys at GSU, but the wife overcommited us. xoopsx

gasoutherneagle
November 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
OH PU-LEEZE! CrAppy State lost a game they shouldn't have Saturday. They are gonna be RAGING MAD going into a traditional rivalry game. This game is gonna be so damn ugly there's gonna be crime-scene body-outline tape all over the field to mark the areas where WCU players were butchered where they stood.

THAT GEORGIA TECH LOPSIDED VICTORY RECORD COULD BE IN JEOPARDY!
Chew your food APPY, and don't eat the bones!

GaSouthern
November 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Appy rolls by 45 points IMO

Eaglesrus
November 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM
ASU has played on a higher level at home all season, figures to be plenty angry after laying an egg in Greenville last weekend and is facing a Western Carolina team that is still without a Division I win this season.

You never how things will go (who expected such a close game in '09?) but I think this one could get ugly. It will be Senior Day for Brian Quick, DeAndre Presley, Matt Ruff, Orry Frye, Travaris Cadet, Ben Jorden and Dan Wylie (among the starters). I think WCU will come out fired up and may keep it respectable early, but way too much ASU in the end.

49-14 Appalachian

What do y'all think?

I hope that they all graduate and go out and have great careers and lives. To answer your question about what I think; I think it will be great not to see them on the other side of the ball any more.

asumike83
November 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Glad to see all the confidence from Statesboro on our behalf! We need to finish the regular season strong.

Any of the ASU/Western AGS folks making the trip up tomorrow?

biggie
November 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I will be there as usual. Hope everything goes to plan this week.

Chili cookoff for tailgate tomorrow, always tastey.

Smitty
November 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to go, not real keen on driving a distance to watch another team run up and down the field.

Also I've got a cat that has some issues with a cut paw that I will be watching instead.

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Glad to see all the confidence from Statesboro on our behalf! We need to finish the regular season strong.

Any of the ASU/Western AGS folks making the trip up tomorrow?

We'll be there on the West Side as always!

asumike83
November 11th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Excellent. I will also be there on the West Side, doubt I will get much tailgating in though. Probably just a quick day trip up from Charlotte.

AppStsGr8
November 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I'll be there with our usual tailgate crew of 20 or so. Looks like we're going to have to App-tastic weather with lots of sunshine and cool-ish temps.

Apphole
November 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'll be playing flip cup in Raley until 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Standing in the student section. Western Sucks. That is all.

SpeedkingATL
November 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I can't make it up the mountain this weekend but am sending proxies from Atlanta, Salisbury and Ft. Mill. Apps roll.

Apphole
November 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Western Carolina is about to get Sanduskied

cbarrier90
November 12th, 2011, 08:45 AM

xeekx Way way way too soon...

The fact that an ASU-related thread has just now reached its third page tells you all you need to know about this game.

asumike83
November 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Game day! Heeere kitty, kitty xtroublex

About to head up the mountain from Charlotte right now, looks like we should have a beautiful day for football in Boone.

GaSouthern
November 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Western...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/74286_769437803641_33001666_41158387_4183622_n.jpg

AppChicago
November 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Jesus Christ. Save the shock comedy for open mic night.

Horseshoe App
November 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Please do not mention that child molester in any breath with reference to ASU or WCU. I don't like WCU, but I would never bestow that terrible rank to them.

boonegoon
November 12th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Deandre?

boonegoon
November 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Looks like we are having the same redzone problems.

ericsaid
November 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Am I listening to a 2010 John Fox coached Panthers game. Run up the middle, run off tackle, run up the middle run up the middle. FUGIT lets just run up the middle. Maybe it is time to ask JM to step down and begin talks with Satterfield about assuming the head coach position.

Apphole
November 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Red zone play calling? Time for a change. No more Jr.