PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Projecting the FCS Playoff Field, Week 11

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/88-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-11

Some new seeds - and a surprise addition - to the projected playoff field this week.

danefan
November 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/88-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-11

Some new seeds - and a surprise addition - to the projected playoff field this week.

Based on the Playoff Handbook, I'd flip the C.Ark/S. Utah game with the Liberty/UNI games, meaning the winner of CARK/SUU goes to Sam Houston and the winner of Liberty/UNI goes to NDSU.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Based on the Playoff Handbook, I'd flip the C.Ark/S. Utah game with the Liberty/UNI games, meaning the winner of CARK/SUU goes to Sam Houston and the winner of Liberty/UNI goes to NDSU.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

I think I might just do that. Thanks! Didn't know geography was such a big factor this go-around.

FanofFCS
November 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
TSN Bracket:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Mr. C
November 9th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Why would anyone give a rip what TSN has to say? The folks over there don't even understand how the process works (just read Craig Haley's latest column). That is a terribly done bracket, as all of their's seem to be.

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Why would anyone give a rip what TSN has to say? The folks over there don't even understand how the process works (just read Craig Haley's latest column). That is a terribly done bracket, as all of their's seem to be.

Legally, this could have just gotten interesting. Pardon me while I grab my popcorn!

Mr. C
November 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Legally, this could have just gotten interesting. Pardon me while I grab my popcorn!

Legally? What are you talking about?

UNIFanSince1983
November 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM
NDSU didn't clinch the Autobid last week. They still have two conference games left, and if they lose both and we beat Illinois State at the end of the year we win the autobid. Obviously, it is not likely since one of their games is WIU, but it is possible.

Not to mention I don't know if they like to match up conference foes in the second round.

I guess you are assuming SUU will beat us at home next weekend, and I guess in that case we may be in a play in game. I just don't see us getting a play in game at 9-2 or 8-3. I can see it at 7-4, but if we are 7-4 that means Illinois State would be 8-3, and we may get bumped from the playoffs altogether. Overall, pretty good job though.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
NDSU didn't clinch the Autobid last week. They still have two conference games left, and if they lose both and we beat Illinois State at the end of the year we win the autobid. Obviously, it is not likely since one of their games is WIU, but it is possible.

Not to mention I don't know if they like to match up conference foes in the second round.

I guess you are assuming SUU will beat us at home next weekend, and I guess in that case we may be in a play in game. I just don't see us getting a play in game at 9-2 or 8-3. I can see it at 7-4, but if we are 7-4 that means Illinois State would be 8-3, and we may get bumped from the playoffs altogether. Overall, pretty good job though.

Thanks - I'll fix this.

katstrapper
November 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Wofford #2 seed?

OL FU
November 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have some bad memories about going to Montana Stxsighx

Go Apps
November 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Wofford #2 seed?

not far fetched the conference GPI is so strong - good luck with attendance that will suck for the playoffs! I am sure they are hoping that Woffy loses again so they will be on the road they would rather replace them with GSU or ASU

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Which is what would make that game so great!

youwouldno
November 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Nothing wrong with an opportunity for revenge. Tough first game though.

UNH Fanboi
November 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM

I don't think they have any qualms about that. Their goal is to minimize travel costs, not promote interesting OOC matchups.

401ks
November 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
xcoffeex

Chuck,

Am I missing something? You state:

But if Albany dispatches Monmouth, the fourth contender, this weekend, the Great Danes will be playoff-bound.

Isn't it true that if Albany beats Monmouth this weekend, they could still be out of the playoffs if they lose to Sacred Heart the following week and Duquesne wins out?

Thanks!

tribefan40
November 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I don't think they have any qualms about that. Their goal is to minimize travel costs, not promote interesting OOC matchups.

Pretty sure this was an issue last year, and the bracket from 2010 would indicate that they are trying to avoid conference matchups in the 1st and 2nd round.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
xcoffeex

Chuck,

Am I missing something? Isn't it true that if Albany beats Monmouth this weekend, they could still be out of the playoffs if they lose to Sacred Heart the following week and Duquesne wins out?

Agreed, you're right. I'll fix it. The NEC playoff formula is so convoluted right now I don't even know if Sacred Heart is eligible for the autobid (i.e., every top team not named Bryant has three conference losses)- I think the answer is yes, but I haven't been able to determine that yet.

Catbooster
November 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM

For some reason, I have very fond memories of that game xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Wofford #2 seed?

The SoCon would have four teams in the bracket, so yeah.

MTfan4life
November 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM
The SoCon would have four teams in the bracket, so yeah.

No offense, but that is a ridiculously useless argument considering you also have four CAA teams in the bracket. Not a single one of them has a seed or even a home second round game. Maybe a little more defense for the 2 seed is needed.

Fear the Bird
November 11th, 2011, 07:38 AM
No offense, but that is a ridiculously useless argument considering you also have four CAA teams in the bracket. Not a single one of them has a seed or even a home second round game. Maybe a little more defense for the 2 seed is needed.

Allow me to defnd for him...he assumes a Montana win in the brawl. If thats the case NDSU is the only team in the country that can compete with 9-2 with wins over GSU and App and TD losses to a top 10 FBS squad and a FU squad that people are calling fringe top 10. I have Woff as the 3 seed should MSU win the brawl

AndrewFU21
November 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah, if Wofford is 9-2 with 2 wins over playoff teams and losses to Clemson and Furman close, and the outright SoCon champs, I think they'll be in the seed discussion.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, if Wofford is 9-2 with 2 wins over playoff teams and losses to Clemson and Furman close, and the outright SoCon champs, I think they'll be in the seed discussion.

More curious is the situation with the CAA teams. If one is 9-2 with an FBS loss, hard to keep them from a seed. But at 8-3, I don't think they get one.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 07:03 AM
More curious is the situation with the CAA teams. If one is 9-2 with an FBS loss, hard to keep them from a seed. But at 8-3, I don't think they get one.

If Maine is a seed, I just became an Stony Brook fan. :D

Kabooom
November 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM
comments to the article.....xlolx

2 comments collapsed

please explain why you think Montana will be victorious over Montana State. What is that based on? Offense? Defense? Special teams? Coaching? A wild hair up your ***? xbawlingx

Reply 2 days ago 1 Like F .
Mert 1 comment No..he just understands it is, what it is....Grizzlies are are Big Bad Bears, and the Bobcats...well they are Pussies...xbabycryx.........xlolx

Griz will roll...

F .

go Bears!xnodx