PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-7

JALMOND
November 9th, 2011, 12:37 AM
As the season draws to a close, these rankings seem to be getting easier to do. Maybe perhaps it has something to do with both Montana and Montana State having this week off, leaving the game chores to the non-Big Sky Country teams. Maybe that will make next week really easy. Or maybe the others will have a huge wreck behind the two frontrunners. Either way, here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky (last week). All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---Playing in the snow can have its drawbacks and playing at Weber State can be tough, too. But the Bobcats put both to rest with a strong second half, setting up a big game in two weeks against Montana. In between, a well deserved week off to get ready.

2. Montana (2)---The Grizzlies let DII's Western Oregon stick around maybe a bit longer than necessary, but they did thwart an upset bid. Now they head down to Montana State in two weeks for the annual rivalry game. But first, a week off to adequately prepare for the big game.

3. Portland State (3)---About the only good thing the Vikings did last weekend against Sacramento State was winning the game, as it was not pretty by both sides. Still, the object is to have more points at the end and the Vikings strong season continues on. This week they hit the road for the final time with a stop at Northern Colorado. Maybe a sure win but after last weekend, who knows.

4. Eastern Washington (4)---Others played last weekend but the Eagles took advantage of a week off to try to get healthy, something they've been trying to do all year. Whether they succeeded will be evident in a hurry as they play outside the conference and head to Cal Poly. Destroying the Mustangs playoff hopes would be a great way to feel better.

5. Northern Arizona (6)---In the recent past, the Lumberjacks would start folding the tents after losing to Montana and after mid-October. However, after ending Sacramento State's mystical run, they put a dent in the upstart Northern Colorado team last weekend. Now they hit the road and head up to Weber State. Can they continue the late charge?

6. Sacramento State (5)---Last weekend, the Hornets had every opportunity to steal a win at Portland State, yet they failed to capitalize on the Vikings mistakes. Have they packed it in or is there still a glimmer of life? Uncertainty may abound but this week they welcome reeling and rebuilding Idaho State. Consolation prize perhaps for the Hornets?

7. Weber State (7)---In a season full of promise, the Wildcats absorbed a bad home loss to Montana State in the snow and cold last weekend. Have they packed it in or are they still playing? Who is still playing? This weekend they play at home once again against Northern Arizona. Is this a consolation prize for the Wildcats?

8. Idaho State (8)---Reeling and rebuilding, the Bengals have pretty much given up on this season early and appear to be playing out the string. Last week, they took the week off to regroup. Did it change their focus to play for a win? This week, they go on the road to the upstart Sacramento State team. A win would go a long way towards next year.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---A bit of late season momentum and a charge to get at least one win went by the wayside last weekend at Northern Arizona. Playing the conference big boys close, one would have thought last week would have been close, too. But they still have one more chance to get that elusive first win and they get to stay home. The opponent, however, is Portland State.

wapiti
November 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Your rankings look great.
1 and 2 are real close.
Number 3 is alone on an island.
4 thru 7 could be shuffled around, but I like where you put them.
8 and 9 are bringing up the rear and holding down the confrence strength.

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
4. Eastern Washington (4)---Others played last weekend but the Eagles took advantage of a week off to try to get healthy, something they've been trying to do all year. Whether they succeeded will be evident in a hurry as they play outside the conference and head to Cal Poly. Destroying the Mustangs playoff hopes would be a great way to feel better.

I think UC-Davis already took care of those hopes.

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think UC-Davis already took care of those hopes.

This is correct, Cal Poly cannot get to seven DI wins now.

Ironically, the Great West bottom-dweller still has a shot at making the playoffs, as they could get to 7 DI wins if they somehow find a way to win at NAU (possible) and UNI (not so much). (I just find this amusing as hell).

Walkon79
November 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
It'll really get interesting next year with Cal Poly, UCD, SUU and UND all added to the mix. The Power Ranking will be much tougher this time of year when we all don't play each other.

Question: When we go to 13 teams, is it almost a lock that the BSC will get 3 teams in the playoffs every year?

Silenoz
November 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
It'll really get interesting next year with Cal Poly, UCD, SUU and UND all added to the mix. The Power Ranking will be much tougher this time of year when we all don't play each other.

Question: When we go to 13 teams, is it almost a lock that the BSC will get 3 teams in the playoffs every year?
Probably. Teams, that suddenly aren't playing UM and MSU every year will start reaching the 7/8 win thresholds

Ginsbach
November 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Probably. Teams, that suddenly aren't playing UM and MSU every year will start reaching the 7/8 win thresholds

ISU doesn't play MSU or EWU next year. I'm taking this post as a vote of confidence for the Bengals' turnaround next year, haha.

JALMOND
November 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM

We don't play Montana next year. But I don't think you have to worry because we probably will have three Pac-12 schools on the schedule next year, and then wonder why we are not going to the playoffs.

GoAgs72
November 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM
We don't play Montana next year. But I don't think you have to worry because we probably will have three Pac-12 schools on the schedule next year, and then wonder why we are not going to the playoffs.

Or even two FBS teams and a D2 team like UC Davis did this year. Same result - win or lose against D2, it's a loss if you're thinking about the playoffs.

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM

I'm just hoping you guys don't have another issue like you did this year, where a (presumably FCS) team pulled out of your schedule and the only game you could schedule was Wilamette. Better to take an FBS payout than a sub-FCS school.