PDA

View Full Version : UT Arlington

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 11:00 AM
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/1065/uta4po.png

Someone explain this to me.

They have a football stadium there, all ready to go.

But they have no team?

I'm confused.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
yah, they use to have football but dropped it (sometime in the 80s i think). but, oddly enough, they have one hell of a marching band that performs exhibitions all over the state! LOL.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Hmm.. and the Southland can use more football teams right?

And we're talking about the state of Texas, right? And it's the Dallas area, so I'm sure there are some good recruits.

Still confused.

jmuroller
May 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
"If you build it, they will come?"

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Hmm.. and the Southland can use more football teams right?

And we're talking about the state of Texas, right? And it's the Dallas area, so I'm sure there are some good recruits.

Still confused.

they have recently talked about the possibility of starting football back up at UTA...here's the article (a letter from their president):

http://www.uta.edu/president/about/memos/2005_0120.php

maybe TexasTerror (since he knows knows more than I do about this) can help.

exbearkat
May 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Lamar (Beaumont, TX) is discussing the possibility too. As a matter of fact, I think Lamar is farther along in their discussions than UTA. Lamar, too, dropped football in the eighties ('89 I believe), and already have a decent stadium as well.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/6364/lu6hq.png

You're right, it's also pretty good.

I guess that's their arena to the north?

89Hen
May 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I guess that's their arena to the north?
That's a strange pic Bison, where did that come from? I was trying to find info and it says the stadium is still used by local high schools, but that pic makes it look like it's completely vacant.

Green Cookie Monster
May 10th, 2006, 01:50 PM
yah, they use to have football but dropped it (sometime in the 80s i think). but, oddly enough, they have one hell of a marching band that performs exhibitions all over the state! LOL.

1985 RIP Maverick football

UTA and TXSt, then SWTSU, played each other in conference; the Lone Star Conference. TXSt moved to the Southland and UTA dropped the sport. Lamar followed shortly thereafter.

UT San Antonio should also add football.

UT Arlington competes against North Texas, in Denton and a burb of Little D. So with TCU, SMU, North Texas and many Texas, A&M, Baylor, OU alums, UT Arlington felt it was too expensive and not enough support.

Freightliner
May 10th, 2006, 01:56 PM
That's a strange pic Bison, where did that come from? I was trying to find info and it says the stadium is still used by local high schools, but that pic makes it look like it's completely vacant.

Both pics are off of Google Earth.

Lamar dropped football back in December of 1989 (I should know...I was working there when it happened)

89Hen - That is Cardinal Stadium. The large building on one side is the Montange Center (Basketball/Volleyball Gym). The smaller building on the other end is the Higgins Fieldhouse (where I worked).

Cardinal Stadium is used only for large High School games in the area, a few SWAC contests and thats about it. UTA uses their stadium on a regular basis for UTA Track & Field, High School Football Regular Season and playoff games and also band contests.

Hands down UTA's stadium is in WAY better condition than that of Cardinal stadium.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Both pictures are from Google Maps (http://maps.google.com).

I would guess that the picture of Lamar's stadium was taken sometime in the winter judging by the grass.

walliver
May 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM
My hope is that we can add women's golf and women's soccer in the next two or three years. We will begin exploring those possibilities in the next few months. I am asking Athletic Director Pete Carlon to prepare a report by the end of the semester that will include several options for accomplishing this goal. With respect to football, by far the most expensive and complex of any intercollegiate sport, I will defer any decision for now; however, I am committed to taking a fresh and comprehensive look at football for UTA within five years.

The above quote from UT Arlington's president suggests that Southland fans should not hold their breath waiting for a new football school.

GeauxLions94
May 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Both pictures are from Google Maps (http://maps.google.com).

I would guess that the picture of Lamar's stadium was taken sometime in the winter judging by the grass.

Stadium is also next to a refinery. That picture could have been taken last week xlolx

89Hen
May 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM
89Hen - That is Cardinal Stadium. The large building on one side is the Montange Center (Basketball/Volleyball Gym). The smaller building on the other end is the Higgins Fieldhouse (where I worked).
Ahhhh, that makes sense. I thought they were both pictures of Arlington, one before they dropped football and one current day. They are eerily similar, but not quite exact.

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM
UT-Arlington is hosting the SLC track meet there this coming weekend...at that stadium! Wish I could be there as I'm big into T&F!

UT-Arlington is going to need to add womens' soccer and womens' golf if they want to talk football...

SLC could use another womens' soccer team for sure...

Lamar is in process of adding softball and could very well add soccer...hmmm...

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM
SLC Commish Tom Burnett on SLC schools in Texas that don't have football, adding football...atleast a blurb from my recap of Burnett's appearance on I-AA Waves...

About future expansion. Says SLC "wrapped up the member issue last summer" and that the SLC will stick at 12 members. Football-wise, said UTSA has commissioned a study with San Antonio the largest market in the USA without Div I football. "If you don't play football in Texas, people want to know why." Says 14 is a little big, but "you never say never" and said conference shakeups are bound to happen.

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2244

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Someone explain this to me.They have a football stadium there, all ready to go.But they have no team?I'm confused.

After years of drawing respectable I-AA sized crowds at Cravens Field, UTA trustees decided to build a new athletic facility in the early 1980's. It would be either a) a football stadium, or b) an arena for its basketball teams, which played on a makeshift floor atop the stage in the school's auditorium, Texas Hall.

They built Maverick Stadium, 15,000 seats and state of the art for I-AA schools at the time. A year later, the president dropped the program. Aside from high school track meets, it's hardly been used.

And the basketball team still plays on the stage. Amazing.

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2006, 08:18 PM
After years of drawing respectable I-AA sized crowds at Cravens Field, UTA trustees decided to build a new athletic facility in the early 1980's. It would be either a) a football stadium, or b) an arena for its basketball teams, which played on a makeshift floor atop the stage in the school's auditorium, Texas Hall.

They built Maverick Stadium, 15,000 seats and state of the art for I-AA schools at the time. A year later, the president dropped the program. Aside from high school track meets, it's hardly been used.

And the basketball team still plays on the stage. Amazing.

Question is a bit similar now as it was back then...

Do they build a facility that will function as an arena/multi-purpose venue or do they bring back football? Both are multi-million dollar investments related to athletics that could push the other back years and years...

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Do they build a facility that will function as an arena/multi-purpose venue or do they bring back football? Both are multi-million dollar investments related to athletics that could push the other back years and years...

Sixty second, off the cuff response:

1. Bring back football, leverage opportunities with Cowboys for enhanced recognition for UTA football. Recruit the heck out of DFW and build a local team that gets attention.
2. Get Arlington to float bonds for an expansion of the convention center. Play there and build a nice base. No need to spend $80 million for an on-campus arena with crowds of 2,100.
3. Try not to get merged into the Univ. of North Texas system (as has been rumored from time to time).

Duck_Mav
May 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM
"UTA and TXSt, then SWTSU, played each other in conference; the Lone Star Conference. TXSt moved to the Southland and UTA dropped the sport. Lamar followed shortly thereafter."

Not exactly correct. UT Arlington was a charter member of the Southland Conference, beginning in 1964, and won three SLC Football Championships in Division 1, 1966, 67 & 81. If they ever played SWT, it was when SWT was in Division II. The Bobcats were in the Lone Star Conference, along with Sam Houston and the others that eventually moved up, but as far as I know, Arlington was never a member. UTA Football was killed after the 1985 season. Lamar quit after 1989. UTSA has never had football, but they may start before Lamar and UTA.

The president of UTA wants to build an arena before he will consider football, despite the passage of a student referendum in April 2004, by which the students offered to pay the year-to-year operating expenses.

You're right about the stadium. It is ready, but we do not have enough other training facilities, offices, locker rooms, weight rooms, etc., so it will cost $3-5 million startup costs to bring back football, plus women's golf and soccer. Lamar's stadium needs a lot of work, but they already have a nice arena, Montagne Center. UTSA has no stadium, but has an arena, and could use the Alamo Dome if they want.

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2006, 09:02 PM
[You're right about the stadium. It is ready, but we do not have enough other training facilities, offices, locker rooms, weight rooms, etc., so it will cost $3-5 million startup costs to bring back football, plus women's golf and soccer. Lamar's stadium needs a lot of work, but they already have a nice arena, Montagne Center. UTSA has no stadium, but has an arena, and could use the Alamo Dome if they want.

UTA can do this, I have no doubt. The cost of not acting might cost them in the future if the SLC moves to an all-sport conference.

Couldn't UTSA play at Alamo Stadium as well?

kats89
May 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM
UTA could be further along than any other school looking at football. They would be a great football addition to the SLC. I sure hope Lamar can work things out to get back football. Lamar and SHSU was a great rivalry. I think they had a healthy rivalry with McNeese as well since McNeese picks up a lot of recruits from that area.

colgate13
May 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM
1. Bring back football, leverage opportunities with Cowboys for enhanced recognition for UTA football. Recruit the heck out of DFW and build a local team that gets attention.

DFW=Dallas/Ft.Worth? DFW Hoya=Dallas/Ft.Worth Hoya? JHC - I never figured that one out!!!!!!!!!!! :rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rota teh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh:

Am I the only one that slow? :(

89Hen
May 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Am I the only one that slow? :(
Do you really want an answer?

colgate13
May 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Do you really want an answer?

Only if it's from you big boy....

http://the-ds.com/kc/big-wet-smooch.jpg

chrisattsu
May 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM
"UTA and TXSt, then SWTSU, played each other in conference; the Lone Star Conference. TXSt moved to the Southland and UTA dropped the sport. Lamar followed shortly thereafter."

Not exactly correct. UT Arlington was a charter member of the Southland Conference, beginning in 1964, and won three SLC Football Championships in Division 1, 1966, 67 & 81. If they ever played SWT, it was when SWT was in Division II. The Bobcats were in the Lone Star Conference, along with Sam Houston and the others that eventually moved up, but as far as I know, Arlington was never a member. UTA Football was killed after the 1985 season. Lamar quit after 1989. UTSA has never had football, but they may start before Lamar and UTA.

The president of UTA wants to build an arena before he will consider football, despite the passage of a student referendum in April 2004, by which the students offered to pay the year-to-year operating expenses.

You're right about the stadium. It is ready, but we do not have enough other training facilities, offices, locker rooms, weight rooms, etc., so it will cost $3-5 million startup costs to bring back football, plus women's golf and soccer. Lamar's stadium needs a lot of work, but they already have a nice arena, Montagne Center. UTSA has no stadium, but has an arena, and could use the Alamo Dome if they want.

Damn Grubbs... Actually, I am glad that UTA does not have a football team, it lets d2 teams like Tarleton and TAMU-Commerce recruit nicely from the metroplex.

That image of the stadium reminds me of the Voorn Project--

"UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS - ARLINGTON
I go to UTA where we have a marching band, cheerleaders and drill team but no football team. We had one at some point and built them a really nice stadium but they sucked so much we just got rid of them but kept the half-time show. The only thing we're good at is engineering so Asians outnumber everyone else 3-1. This is the last resort for most Arlington students so my classmates are either Asian or too drunk to come to class. Since we don't have a football team (or any decent sports teams for that matter) we don't even have a mascot. Actually we do, it's the Maverick, but there's still no football team. In Texas, that doesn't cut it.
I am a Maverick!"

more schools attacked by Voorn is listed here -- http://voorn.tripod.com/schools.html

McTailGator
May 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
"If you build it, they will come?"

Not for them...

They built it, and then shut down their program about 2 years later.

Duck_Mav
May 17th, 2006, 09:15 PM
1806Let's see 1985 minus 1980 equals what? Not that it matters much 21 years later, but the Mavericks did play for 5 years in their new stadium before the former president made his stupid move. We, the few loyal fans, have grumbled continuously ever since. The AD has done a good job over the years building all the other teams into consistent winners, or at least contenders, and UTA has won more All Sports Trophies than any of the other 10 Southland Members, but face it - nobody gets any respect without football.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM
The AD has done a good job over the years building all the other teams into consistent winners, or at least contenders, and UTA has won more All Sports Trophies than any of the other 10 Southland Members, but face it - nobody gets any respect without football.

It's probably because UT-Arlington has continually had one of the bigger budgets in the SLC, despite not having football, a sport that really costs universities an ample amount of $$$...

UT-Arlington's budget is ahead of SHSU (which has won the Commish Cup the last two years) and Nicholls State. Northwestern St's budget was lower until the last few years, if my memory serves me right and ULM's budget is only $800,000 more and they have I-A football...

Texas State $9,535,861
SFA $8,754,210
UT-San Antonio $7,675,714 (non-football)
Louisiana-Monroe $6,647,569 (has I-A football)
Northwestern St $6,374,868
UT-Arlington $5,834,970 (non-football)
SHSU $5,718,825
Lamar $4,706,768 (non-football)
Nicholls St $3,636,882

No SELA or McNeese available...

MplsBison
May 18th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Why do SFA and Tx St cost so much?

Dane96
May 18th, 2006, 08:41 AM
It's probably because UT-Arlington has continually had one of the bigger budgets in the SLC, despite not having football, a sport that really costs universities an ample amount of $$$...

UT-Arlington's budget is ahead of SHSU (which has won the Commish Cup the last two years) and Nicholls State. Northwestern St's budget was lower until the last few years, if my memory serves me right and ULM's budget is only $800,000 more and they have I-A football...

Texas State $9,535,861
SFA $8,754,210
SHSU $5,718,825
Nicholls St $3,636,882

: retard :

OMG....LA-Monroe is IA in football and has a 6mm budget? No wonder they SUCK!. That is horrific. I think a majority of IA schools crap out 6mm for football after their morning coffees.

THEY NEED TO DROP...and NOW!

McNeeserocket
May 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Texas State $9,535,861
SFA $8,754,210
SHSU $5,718,825
Nicholls St $3,636,882

If I read the budget info. passed out to booster club members correctly, McNeese budget for 05/06 was $4,855,079. Of that amount, only about 1.5 million goes to football.

Freightliner
May 18th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Why do SFA and Tx St cost so much?

IMO the budgets are so high at these two universities due to the facility upgrades/maintenance (TXST's Endzone Complex and Athletic Annex, SFA's new training room/weight training area)

Also depending on the percentage of Student Service fees given to each departments.

might be wrong though.

Terror...you heard anything about Football Locker Room renovations at Bowers?

GeauxLions94
May 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM
: retard :

OMG....LA-Monroe is IA in football and has a 6mm budget? No wonder they SUCK!. That is horrific. I think a majority of IA schools crap out 6mm for football after their morning coffees.

THEY NEED TO DROP...and NOW!

It's due a spending cap that can be used to fund athletics in Louisiana (all schools except LSU - which funds itself) ... Buck or any of the McFans on this board can elaborate much better on this subject than I can, but you notice that all the La. schools are in the bottom half of the spending curve.

: flamemad

And even with a budget as low are theirs, ULM (and all other I-A programs in the state) will stink and remain poorly funded because LSU doesn't want the competition (hence why they'll play out-of-state I-AA teams instead of SLU, McNeese, Northwestern State, etc.). :nod:

MplsBison
May 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Would like to see the budgets of LA-Laf. and La Tech.

Also, I would think the cap couldn't possibly apply to Tulane?

GeauxColonels
May 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Also, I would think the cap couldn't possibly apply to Tulane?

I'm sure it doesn't since they're a private institution.

However, they do have an IDIOT for a President that almost cut the entire athetics program (and also thought about a drop all the way to D-II or D-III).

McTailGator
May 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
IMO the budgets are so high at these two universities due to the facility upgrades/maintenance (TXST's Endzone Complex and Athletic Annex, SFA's new training room/weight training area)

Also depending on the percentage of Student Service fees given to each departments.

might be wrong though.

You are correct. The La. Universitys can not add in Capital expendatures to it's budgets like the Tx schools can because of a state law.

The huricane cost McNees about 1.5 million, which will be made up for by booster money and next years budget. Plus McNeese is getting ready to spend about 7 million bucks for the construction of our new field house complex at Cowboy Stadium. None of that will show up in our budget figures because it is privately funded. The nubers you saw from the LA schools are state generated and ticket sales and guarantee money only.

Typically McNeese's budget is bigger than ULM's.

Green Cookie Monster
May 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM

La. Tech=$11,009,487 football $2,907,617 travel costs is killing them
ULL=$7,622,387 football $1,286,314

Amazing, playing IA ball with budgets like these.

kats89
May 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM

might be wrong though.

dont understand why SFA budgets are so high. Dont see any upgrades going on at that campus. That place is blah, blah, blah.

Tx State I think just likes to spend money to make them feel good. Hasn't done much for the football program for over 20 years until last year.xlolx

Just pickin' Freightliner!!!

I haven't heard anything on locker room renovations at Bowers, but with everything going on, I would bet it is on the list of things to get done.

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I haven't heard anything on locker room renovations at Bowers, but with everything going on, I would bet it is on the list of things to get done.

Too much going on right now.

Tough to oversee everything, but I'm sure that'll come after the two current projects, strength/conditioning facility and scoreboard are done as well as the turf project (summer 2007).

Seems the last few years, there's been a project every year whether it the new championship banners at each facility, baseball/softball complex, fixing up the tennis facility, etc, etc...

Freightliner
May 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
ok..I'll check with my buddy at SH to try to get this locker room stuff confirmed and let you know.

As for the quip about us spending so much in football and having little to show for it...I understand the joke :)