PDA

View Full Version : If Southern Utah makes 7-4, are they in the playoffs?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
* Win over FBS (UNLV)
* Contingent over win at UNI this weekend (nationally ranked)

But...
* Loss to South Dakota State early in year
* Three losses in conference (North Dakota, South Dakota, Cal Poly)
* Another game vs. transitional team (Texas-San Antonio)

Can they make it in if they win? Or does scheduling UTSA make them ineligible?

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I think they could but they would need a lot to go right for them. IMO, they'd need all but one of the following to occur:

1) Lehigh beats Georgetown
2) Northern Iowa beats Illinois St
3) NDSU beats Youngstown St
4) JMU loses one of their last two
5) Indiana St loses one of their last two
6) UCA loses their season finale

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM
If they beat UNI and NAU, they finish 7-4 with wins over UNI (duh) and UNLV, and their four losses would be by a combined 16 points. Also, three-game win streak at that point. I think that's a pretty strong resume, but as PC said, got to see what happens elsewhere. Not to mention that beating UNI on the road will probably not happen.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
If they beat UNI I would think so. As long as the Patriot and Big South each only get one bid.

nwFL Griz
November 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I think they could but they would need a lot to go right for them. IMO, they'd need all but one of the following to occur:

1) Lehigh beats Georgetown
2) Northern Iowa beats Illinois St
3) NDSU beats Youngstown St
4) JMU loses one of their last two
5) Indiana St loses one of their last two
6) UCA loses their season finale

I would say the first four are almost a certainty. (Sorry JMU, I think UMass gets ya)

The last two, however....Texas St could beat UCA, but I don't think they will. I doubt ISU-B loses either of those.

joecooll6
November 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
A number of people have asked if the UTSA win is a non-counter but nobody has an answer. Anyone know?

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
probably not....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
A number of people have asked if the UTSA win is a non-counter but nobody has an answer. Anyone know?

Yes, that is crucial.

youwouldno
November 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Has a team with a losing conference record ever made the playoffs? Maybe since it's only 5 teams the committee wouldn't look at it the same but I'm sure it would be a problem, assuming the 7 D-I win thing.

BisonBacker
November 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I don't think so either. Outside of Montana State and Montana the conference is way down.

van
November 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
No.

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I don't think so either. Outside of Montana State and Montana the conference is way down.

SUU is not in the Big Sky Conference.

344Johnson
November 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM
SUU lost to SDSU, USD, and UND. 'Nough said.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
SUU lost to SDSU, USD, and UND. 'Nough said.

Two Top 25 teams xlolx

McNeese75
November 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM

I think they count.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM
What would be the difference between a 7-4 S Utah and a 7-4 Delaware?

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2011, 06:27 AM

West Chester

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2011, 08:54 AM

West Chester
This ^^^^^^. Technically, Delaware is 6-4.

danefan
November 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Why wouldn't they count?

They're transitioning to FBS, but they are a DI school otherwise. Its not like a DII school transitioning to FCS.

They may not be eligible for the playoffs (like UMass right?), but they should count as a DI win.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Why wouldn't they count?

They're transitioning to FBS, but they are a DI school otherwise. Its not like a DII school transitioning to FCS.

They may not be eligible for the playoffs (like UMass right?), but they should count as a DI win.

I thought last year games against Lamar didn't "count", and like UTSA this year, they were a first-year program.

THE HERD
November 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
They will not win at UNI, so it won't matter after that game.

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2011, 10:07 AM
They will not win at UNI, so it won't matter after that game.

Wish I was as confident as you are.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
West Chester

West Chester of course, S Utah played UTSA..... I was hoping they were Div 2 but no they just play a Div 2 sked xoopsx

BisonBacker
November 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
SUU is not in the Big Sky Conference.

LOL I'm a year ahead of myself xoopsx

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I think the reason no one has a definite answer on UTSA is that there isn't one. The committee chooses the playoff at-large teams and that's that.

There may be a guideline that 7DI should be a requirement, but in a nuclear scenario I believe the comittee has the power to give an at-large to a team with 6 wins (or 6 FCS wins and a DII/DIII/transitional/Pioneer win).

As for SUU, the only team they should get in ahead of is Georgetown.

It doesn't matter if UTSA wants to go to FBS, they don't have 85 scholarships this year and I doubt they have 63 either. This is their first year so they probably only have something like 20-40. That's not an impressive win, but better than the Pioneer wins of Georgetown.

nwFL Griz
November 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM
http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=315549&SPID=34919&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=205238891

According to paragrapfh three of the link, UTSA started the season with 57 scholly players. I highly doubt they lost nearly 20 players to fall into your range of 20-40.