PDA

View Full Version : UNH-Lehigh "The Play"

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
OK, I've stayed out of the discussion because I didn't want to be labeled as a poor winner. Because numerous Lehigh posters continue to whine about this play, I figured I'd post this so maybe we could put it to rest before the playoff selections are made.

I was at the game on the other side of the field and frankly not sure of everything that happened. But I did wonder why something viewed as being such a horrendous call wasn't rectified by the 4-5 zebras who conferred for some time before making an announcement. I mean refs make bad judgement calls, but this was one that was discussed and reviewed by multiple referees. If it was so bad, then why wasn't the call changed and the ball returned to the 25 for 2nd and ten for UNH? So, when I got home and had access and time, I researched the NCAA rules looking for anything about getting two feet back in play and found the following:

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds during a
down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while
airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I-II).
[Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts
to return inbounds immediately after going out of bounds due to contact by an
opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)].

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR12.pdf

Note, how there is no mention of having to re-establish yourself in bounds just that he must immediately come back into play, which Joey Orlando did. Is that feet back in play an NFL rule? Reading this, Orlando could come back into play if the force out was by contact. I clearly heard the referee announce the receiver was forced out of bounds. BTW, if that's true then shouldn't it have been pass interference since that ball was in the air over 30 yards and had to be airborne when he was forced out by contact? And if he didn't need to "re-establish" himself, then he had every right to catch the ball which he did. Since he dove and was parallel to the ground when he caught it, I assume the ref thought his arms and shoulders hit the ground before his knees/feet which is what I saw from my vantage point at about the 25 yard line at that end of the field from the other side. He was definitely diving back toward the center of the field, the ball was within play in the end zone and it was a good catch (controlled by Orlando and the ball didn't touch the ground).

I don't claim to be a rules expert and I'm often wrong because I'm thinking about NFL rules. I wonder if anyone of the Lehigh boosters got a similar explanation at their weekly meetings that week. ngineer? I assume the Lehigh AD demanded an explanation from the officials. Were they Patriot League officials where he would have a good line of communication? Unfortunately, I'm not privy to any such meetings at UNH.

Can anyone find a different explanation of the rules? All the complaining that I recall was about being out of bounds than coming back in to make the catch rather than whether contact forced Orlando out of bounds. From what I found in the rule book, I understand why the call was made, but I'm open to others who are rules experts. If undeniable rules misinterpretation can't be documented, can we put this issue to bed?

Mattymc727
November 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Bingo

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The rule, as explained by the official at the time of the play, is the rule. He can catch the ball again and doesn't need to "establish" himself in bounds again. However when Joey Orlando caught the ball, he never was in bounds at any time. As a matter of fact, his entire leg was down out of bounds when he caught the ball. WFMZ 69's recap of the game (and this picture, captured from that) shows this clearly.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296181_10150289719622684_25866092683_8137142_12360 05458_n.jpg

Block-A
November 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
As a matter of fact, his entire leg was down out of bounds when he caught the ball.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't tell if the receiver is even on the ground in your picture.

OxSoxUNH05
November 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
So a reasonable person is supposed tell where the field begins and the player ends in that 8-bit video game you dug that pic out of?

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
The rule, as explained by the official at the time of the play, is the rule. He can catch the ball again and doesn't need to "establish" himself in bounds again. However when Joey Orlando caught the ball, he never was in bounds at any time. As a matter of fact, his entire leg was down out of bounds when he caught the ball. WFMZ 69's recap of the game (and this picture, captured from that) shows this clearly.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296181_10150289719622684_25866092683_8137142_12360 05458_n.jpg
Did they use the same camera that guy put in the keyhole of Erin Andrew's hotel room?

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I think they are still upset because the receiver was actually out of bounds when he touched or caught the ball. LFN's avatar shows such. I still have a hard time believing the referee actually missed this if it did happen because it was in front of him... but on the other side, to me, it looked like the UNH guy was pushed out.

Anyhow, if Lehigh can't beat Georgetown and Lafayette to close the season, they better not complain they were left home over the UNH game.

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't tell if the receiver is even on the ground in your picture.

Ha! You're right! Lehigh's grassy knoll moment.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I've been called Oliver Stone before... where's carney? xlolx

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hijack alert:

Does an 8-3 Lehigh get into the playoffs and does the grassy knoll moment affect selection?

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM
What is it about the fact that you had 60 mins + to win the game, and when given the chance to continue the game, Lehigh threw an INT. Nevermind the fact that UNH still had chances to score a TD again.

heath
November 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
OK, I've stayed out of the discussion because I didn't want to be labeled as a poor winner. Because numerous Lehigh posters continue to whine about this play, I figured I'd post this so maybe we could put it to rest before the playoff selections are made.

I was at the game on the other side of the field and frankly not sure of everything that happened. But I did wonder why something viewed as being such a horrendous call wasn't rectified by the 4-5 zebras who conferred for some time before making an announcement. I mean refs make bad judgement calls, but this was one that was discussed and reviewed by multiple referees. If it was so bad, then why wasn't the call changed and the ball returned to the 25 for 2nd and ten for UNH? So, when I got home and had access and time, I researched the NCAA rules looking for anything about getting two feet back in play and found the following:

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds during a
down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while
airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I-II).
[Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts
to return inbounds immediately after going out of bounds due to contact by an
opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)].

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR12.pdf

Note, how there is no mention of having to re-establish yourself in bounds just that he must immediately come back into play, which Joey Orlando did. Is that feet back in play an NFL rule? Reading this, Orlando could come back into play if the force out was by contact. I clearly heard the referee announce the receiver was forced out of bounds. BTW, if that's true then shouldn't it have been pass interference since that ball was in the air over 30 yards and had to be airborne when he was forced out by contact? And if he didn't need to "re-establish" himself, then he had every right to catch the ball which he did. Since he dove and was parallel to the ground when he caught it, I assume the ref thought his arms and shoulders hit the ground before his knees/feet which is what I saw from my vantage point at about the 25 yard line at that end of the field from the other side. He was definitely diving back toward the center of the field, the ball was within play in the end zone and it was a good catch (controlled by Orlando and the ball didn't touch the ground).

I don't claim to be a rules expert and I'm often wrong because I'm thinking about NFL rules. I wonder if anyone of the Lehigh boosters got a similar explanation at their weekly meetings that week. ngineer? I assume the Lehigh AD demanded an explanation from the officials. Were they Patriot League officials where he would have a good line of communication? Unfortunately, I'm not privy to any such meetings at UNH.

Can anyone find a different explanation of the rules? All the complaining that I recall was about being out of bounds than coming back in to make the catch rather than whether contact forced Orlando out of bounds. From what I found in the rule book, I understand why the call was made, but I'm open to others who are rules experts. If undeniable rules misinterpretation can't be documented, can we put this issue to bed?

If not pushed out of bounds the receiver needs one foot inbounds for a legal catch.If pushed out and one foot and one knee are not in play when he catches the ball,and the receiver attempts or falls back into fair territory,say the end zone,its a good catch? Really?I think the rule means if a player is chucked out of bounds during press coverage,but returns to the field immediately and finishes his pattern down field,touches the ball first,makes a catch,there would be no penalty. The call was horrible,but was not the last play of that game.Maybe UNH wins,maybe not............

UNHWILDCATS05
November 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
What about this picture shows that he was out of bounds... If anything it makes it look like his front half landed in bounds first...

heath
November 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
What is it about the fact that you had 60 mins + to win the game, and when given the chance to continue the game, Lehigh threw an INT. Nevermind the fact that UNH still had chances to score a TD again.

Is this a question or a statement from someone who didn't see the game.......?Lehigh threw the INT on 4th down because UNH had scored on the bad call and like in most OTs,you have to score if they scorexrolleyesx

heath
November 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
What about this picture shows that he was out of bounds... If anything it makes it look like his front half landed in bounds first...

Guess you didn't see the game either therefor the picture doesn't make sense.Watch the re play and then get backxthumbsupx

CAAruler
November 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
This guy loves to take shots at everyone!! You can tell he never played the game!! UNH 13 Lehigh 2 all time-- sorry to my Lehigh friends but this guy deserves it..
The Patriot League- Really talking smack, I ve seen it all now...........

UNIFanSince1983
November 7th, 2011, 08:36 PM
and what is it about the fact that this bogus ref call completely and totally killed Lehigh's momentum therefore leading to the UNH win?

Had the correct call been made, UNH would have failed to score and Lehigh, together with its momentum, would have scored and won the game...

period

seriously, go back to Iowa and farm some corn or something...the Lehigh win over UNI was about a year ago and, based on your recent posting history, it is still bothering you, isn't it?

You cannot guarantee that Lehigh would have scored and won the game.

But from this picture I cannot tell whether he was out of bounds or not when he caught the ball. Maybe if someone could show me footage of the play in a video I would be able to tell. Right now, having not seen the game, I cannot tell if it was a good or bad call. It could very well have been a bad call, but I cannot tell and it really sucks there is not replay in FCS. Refs are human, and bad calls happen it just really sucks if they happen to your team.

The thing about this is though, none of our arguing is going to change the fact that UNH beat Lehigh.

SumItUp
November 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM

I's clear as mud. He was levitating. xlolx

Mattymc727
November 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM
and what is it about the fact that this bogus ref call completely and totally killed Lehigh's momentum therefore leading to the UNH win?

Had the correct call been made, UNH would have failed to score and Lehigh, together with its momentum, would have scored and won the game...

period

How is it a fact that if it was called incomplete that UNH would not have scored and Lehigh would have won? If it was incomplete than UNH would have had the ball on the 25 with 2nd and 10. I liked Lehigh before you came along, now I have a sour taste in my mouth. I cant wait to see you disappear when Lehigh loses in the playoffs.

UNIFanSince1983
November 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
so let me see if I can understand this

you never saw the game live

you have yet to see a video of the game

and you come on a thread about the play at the UNH/Lehigh game and start attacking the Lehigh supporters for absolutely stating that the receiver was out of bounds when he caught the ball?

again, was that loss to Lehigh by your team, UNI, that awful that you continue to attack the Lehigh fans almost a year later?

geesh

Did you read what I wrote at all? I said I cannot say whether it was a bad call or not. I just said you cannot guarantee Lehigh would have scored and won whether this play happened or not.

And I came on this thread with hopes of someone actually having footage of this terrible disservice to Lehigh.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM

period

xlolx xlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Is this a question or a statement from someone who didn't see the game.......?Lehigh threw the INT on 4th down because UNH had scored on the bad call and like in most OTs,you have to score if they scorexrolleyesx

Oh, so they threw an INT instead of scoring, right xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

MTfan4life
November 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I don't see Delaware fans talking about last seasons playoffs in nearly every single post of theirs...why do you continue to bring up Lehigh's surprise win over UNI, a 7-5 team? You might as well mention their second round game too.

MTfan4life
November 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
so are you asking me why I am bringing up a Lehigh/UNI game when I post to a UNI supporter?

is this what you are asking?

This is a public forum. Any poster is able to post anywhere.

hawkineer
November 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Geez, let it go. xrolleyesx It was two months ago. LU is ranked in front of UNH and if we take care of business the next two weeks, it's a mute point. As Coen said at the time, these things have a way of evening out over a season. They probably already have.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM
oh my, you said "Interception"

speaking of Interceptions, would be like the 5 big time interceptions that UNI has thrown in two of its biggest games of the last 12 months - 3 against Lehigh and 2 against NDSU?

is that what you mean by "Interception"?

Right, or like the one that lost you the UNH game.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Geez, let it go. xrolleyesx It was two months ago. LU is ranked in front of UNH and if we take care of business the next two weeks, it's a mute point. As Coen said at the time, these things have a way of evening out over a season. They probably already have.

Moot point. Sorry, that kills me. xlolx

hawkineer
November 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Moot point. Sorry, that kills me. xlolx
Good catch. I'm sitting in a hotel room in St. Louis and I'm tired. Glad I could brighten your day.:)

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Good catch. I'm sitting in a hotel room in St. Louis and I'm tired. Glad I could brighten your day.:)
As long as it never happens again. xlolx

I'm not a stickler for English and grammar, but for some reason those phrases drive me crazy. The other day I saw a facebook status where someone felt like they had been "taken for granite". xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
As long as it never happens again. xlolx

I'm not a stickler for English and grammar, but for some reason those phrases drive me crazy. The other day I saw a facebook status where someone felt like they had been "taken for granite". xlolx

I'm surprised that typo hasn't shown up on this thread before. New Hampshire, y'know. xlolx

ngineer
November 7th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm surprised that typo hasn't shown up on this thread before. New Hampshire, y'know. xlolx

Aren't they all "stoned" in NH? (;-)

UNHFootballAlum
November 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
If you are saying that there was one bad call with Joey orlando being out of bounds you also have to say that there was a second bad call with pass interference. He was clearly pushed out of bounds and the ball was in the air during contact. That would have have given the ball to UNH at the 12 yard line and a 1st down...BTW, I did see the game.

MSUBobcat
November 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
First, I've tried to find video of this play and no one here has provided it, so apparently there is none. Since that photo was taken with a 1974 Polaroid and converted to digital, it gives me no evidence about the call, whether it was a catch, incomplete, or PI. But since it was 1st down, UNH had 2 (or 3) plays to go 10 yards to keep their drive alive, meaning it is fairly conceivable that they end up in the endzone or at a minimum, with a FG. Good call, bad call, Lehigh had the advantage of the 2nd possession, knowing they have to get in the endzone on their DRIVE, not 4 plays. They couldn't get 10 YARDS in 4 plays. Claiming that a bad call took the wind out of their sails, making it impossible to get a matching TD from 25 yards out is either making excuses for your team or shows the team's mettle. For Lehigh's sake, I hope it's the fans making excuses. xtwocentsx

Wildcat80
November 8th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Great play! TD UNH! UNH won the game! Good luck to both in playoffs--assuming we both get there!

Engineer86
November 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
This thread is assinine. Anyone who saw the play knows he was out of bounds when he caught the ball. Did it change momentum absolutely it had in impact, but UNH won. The game is over I accept it. You should accept the fact that the call was horrible and we all move on. Maybe there will be a rematch.

OxSoxUNH05
November 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM
To boil it all down the argument is pretty silly. Teams have to overcome bad calls all the time. Good teams do, bad teams don't. Good luck to Lehigh for the rest of the season and in the playoffs. Maybe the teams will meet again.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2011, 05:55 AM

period

How come you don't have a problem with the ridiculous offensive pass interference call that happened as UNH was driving to end the 4th quarter? If UNH scores there, which is as much of an assumption that UNH would not score in OT with 2nd and 10 at the 25, what do you say then? Why couldn't Lehigh score with 1st and 10 on the 25 after UNH scored? Are they so vulnerable to momentum? Probably shouldn't be ranked in the top 5 then, no?

And I'll take another opportunity to say it here. There is nothing about Lehigh's resume (no quality wins) or performance to indicate they should be ranked higher than UNH, who has played a far tougher schedule and who has the same amount of FCS losses.

As for the catch itself, I think it's a weak argument to say that he was in bounds when the ball was caught (his elbows were PERHAPS down before either leg hit the ground?), but the picture above certainly does nothing to confirm or deny whether he was in bounds or not.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 8th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Aren't they all "stoned" in NH? (;-)

No, that's Vermont

bluehenbillk
November 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Being a UD fan I really have no stake in this argument. Looking at the still photo in this thread (which really isn't very clear) and not having seen a replay it's not really his feet that matter by the rules. Really what matters is what came down 1st. It looks in the still photo (again it's not very clear especially where the angle is) that the receiver's right knee may be down - in bounds. If that is the case then it's a catch - John Madden's book title of "One Knee equals Two Feet" helps out with the interpretation.

Can't really comment on going out of bounds without actually seeing the play.

Regardless, the game was In September and both teams will be in the playoffs, move on.

henfan
November 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
You Lehigh guys are acting like you just lost the National Championship on a bad spot or something. xlolx

It would be karma for UNH & LU to make the playoffs & get paired up for a rematch in Durham to settle the matter.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Guess you didn't see the game either therefor the picture doesn't make sense.Watch the re play and then get backxthumbsupx

Wrong... I was there... Orlando was pushed out of bounds then leaped from out of bounds towards the endzone to catch the ball. Whether he touched in bounds or out of bounds first is impossible to tell from that picture...

UNHWILDCATS05
November 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
http://www.wfmz.com/sports/Controversial-call-sinks-Lehigh-in-OT/-/121402/969668/-/odj8iiz/-/index.html

Best video I could find.

RichH2
November 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM
A fascinating play,but now a topic for alumni reunions not this season. Cannot be changed. it is irrelevant to this season. Myself, I am more interested in how we do vs Hoyas and if we can win the AQ again, not rehashing a ref's call back at the beginning of the season. For what purpose? Can we change the result? Will it help us beat GU? If we do will it get us a better or worse bracket matchup? NO, well then lets move on.

dwtime
November 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Moot point in this picture he is in the air, post the next frame and he is on the ground in the end zone. Catch.

molly
November 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Based on the video, it looks his arms come down in the end zone before his feet touch out of bounds. I'd call it a catch. Either way, it definitely wasn't an obviously bad call, as that local sports reporter and so many Lehigh fans have made it seem.

nwFL Griz
November 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I realize this thread is old, but based on some of the whining going on about the playoff selections, I wanted to check out this "alleged" horrible call.

There was a similar play in the Miami/Duke game this year. The Miami defender forced the Duke WR OOB around the two yd line. The receiver and defender got tangled up, and by the time the QB had thrown the ball, both WR and CB were OOB in the end zone area. The Duke WR was able to leap, catch the ball while mid-air and his foot was the first thing to touch the ground, in-bounds. He never re-established or anything like that. The play was reviewed and the referee gave Duke the TD. The head ACC official said the game crew properly applied the rule.

It is hard to tell from the picture, and even the video...but if the receiver touches down in-bounds when landing, it looks like a TD. A real tough call to get right without replay, but based on what is available here, I think the proper call was made.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Based on the video, it looks his arms come down in the end zone before his feet touch out of bounds. I'd call it a catch. Either way, it definitely wasn't an obviously bad call, as that local sports reporter and so many Lehigh fans have made it seem.

And that's FINAL.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
The receiver's feet were out of bounds when he made the catch, so it never should have been ruled a catch. The rule was misapplied and should have not have been a factor in the play.

LehighGuy
November 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I realize this thread is old, but based on some of the whining going on about the playoff selections, I wanted to check out this "alleged" horrible call.

There was a similar play in the Miami/Duke game this year. The Miami defender forced the Duke WR OOB around the two yd line. The receiver and defender got tangled up, and by the time the QB had thrown the ball, both WR and CB were OOB in the end zone area. The Duke WR was able to leap, catch the ball while mid-air and his foot was the first thing to touch the ground, in-bounds. He never re-established or anything like that. The play was reviewed and the referee gave Duke the TD. The head ACC official said the game crew properly applied the rule.

It is hard to tell from the picture, and even the video...but if the receiver touches down in-bounds when landing, it looks like a TD. A real tough call to get right without replay, but based on what is available here, I think the proper call was made.

I rally wish I would have went down to the field and took a picture of where the turf was torn up where Orlando drug his feet try to make the catch. They started 3 feet away from the line and never made it in bounds.

hawkineer
November 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Geez! It was 10 weeks ago. Let it go. Time to focus on Towson. Whining about the UNH game serves no purpose.

nwFL Griz
November 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I rally wish I would have went down to the field and took a picture of where the turf was torn up where Orlando drug his feet try to make the catch. They started 3 feet away from the line and never made it in bounds.

So you're saying the receiver never went airborne? I wasn't there, and the video is really tough to tell. It looks like he lays out to make the catch...but that's just how it looked to me.

Engineer86
November 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Geez! It was 10 weeks ago. Let it go. Time to focus on Towson. Whining about the UNH game serves no purpose.

Agree, who cares. Let's focus on Towson!

ngineer
November 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
The receiver's feet were out of bounds when he made the catch, so it never should have been ruled a catch. The rule was misapplied and should have not have been a factor in the play.

What he said. Even Mr. Orlando confirmed after the game his feet were out. Regardless, it's done. Can't do a thing about it. Move on.

UNH72Plus
November 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
I think everyone agrees that because he was bumped out of bounds he was eligible to return to the field and be the first one to touch the ball. Therefore, if he was airbourne when he made the catch, he feet were not out of bounds (they hadn't made contact with the ground), and if his upper body touched down in-bounds before his feet hit the ground again, he is down by contact, and the result of the play is a touchdown. It certainly appears in the video that his feet are off the ground when he catches the ball!

nwFL Griz
November 21st, 2011, 10:40 AM
I think everyone agrees that because he was bumped out of bounds he was eligible to return to the field and be the first one to touch the ball. Therefore, if he was airbourne when he made the catch, he feet were not out of bounds (they hadn't made contact with the ground), and if his upper body touched down in-bounds before his feet hit the ground again, he is down by contact, and the result of the play is a touchdown. It certainly appears in the video that his feet are off the ground when he catches the ball!

Video is inconclusive in this regard, but that is how I would call it.

NHwildEcat
November 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
It was a TD...Lehigh fans should get over it and enjoy the chance to travel and play the CAA champs. Let your team prove yourselves there!

RichH2
November 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
It was a TD...Lehigh fans should get over it and enjoy the chance to travel and play the CAA champs. Let your team prove yourselves there!
Same for UNH fans, we're not the ones that brought this thread back

NHwildEcat
November 21st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Same for UNH fans, we're not the ones that brought this thread back

True...you didn't. But the Fan didn't take long to get his panties in a twist.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Why is this still being discussed?

-Orlando was pushed and clearly out of bounds when running down the sidelines. He caught the ball. His feet and lower body were out of bounds, and his upper body and the ball came down in bounds. He didn't get back into the field of play before catching the ball, but interference could easily have been called on the Lehigh DB.

-This was the first play of overtime. If it was called incomplete UNH would've had second down at the 25. This wasn't a 4th down that would've given Lehigh the win.

LehighGuy
November 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM
Why is this still being discussed?

-Orlando was pushed and clearly out of bounds when running down the sidelines. He caught the ball. His feet and lower body were out of bounds, and his upper body and the ball came down in bounds. He didn't get back into the field of play before catching the ball, but interference could easily have been called on the Lehigh DB.

-This was the first play of overtime. If it was called incomplete UNH would've had second down at the 25. This wasn't a 4th down that would've given Lehigh the win.

Finally, a Lafayette fan says something intelligent.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgbinlBeoY1qf8yek.gif

UNHFootballAlum
November 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Finally, a Lafayette fan says something intelligent.

Actually if they teh refs would have called pass interference then the ball would have been placed at the 12.5 and 1st down

Franks Tanks
November 22nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Actually if they teh refs would have called pass interference then the ball would have been placed at the 12.5 and 1st down

PI was probably the correct call here. It appears the Lehigh DB chucked him out of bounds when Orlando was well downfield.