PDA

View Full Version : Who would you nominate for preseaon to be up for the BUCK and Walter Payton

Stang Fever
May 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM
BUCK: Kyle Shotwell 156 tackels, he really fills up that stat sheet

Payton: Santos New Hampshire

Stang Fever
May 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM
BUCK: LB Kyle Shotwell Cal POLY156 tackels, he really fills up that stat sheet

Payton: QB Santos New Hampshire

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Offense: David Ball, the best I-AA reeiver I've ever seen

Defense: Don't know

JaxStateManager
May 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Payton: Clay Green, Jax State

Buck: Clint Sellers, Eastern Illinois

eagleskins
May 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM
My homer picks.

Jayson Foster for Payton and John Mohring for Buchannon.

jmuroller
May 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
We have a Top 5 pick in Tony LeZotte at FS. Will be a 4 time 1st Team All American before he is done.

Alvin Banks would be a Payton one but only get 60% of the carries. Fenner gets the rest.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Lehigh's got a legit threat for ther Payton in QB Sedale Threatt and i guess a longshot for the Buchannon in Royce Morgan.

grizband
May 9th, 2006, 05:24 PM
We have a Top 5 pick in Tony LeZotte at FS. Will be a 4 time 1st Team All American before he is done.

Alvin Banks would be a Payton one but only get 60% of the carries. Fenner gets the rest.
According to Sportsnetwork.com, LeZotte was a 3rd team All American in 2004. Did someone else give him a first team nod that year?

blur2005
May 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
According to Sportsnetwork.com, LeZotte was a 3rd team All American in 2004. Did someone else give him a first team nod that year?
I also thought LeZotte was not a first-teamer his freshman year, but a first-team all-freshmen team obviously. He might've meant LeZotte has always been first team, no matter what team he's on.

nmatsen
May 9th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Sanders = Payton
Sanders = Payton

slostang
May 9th, 2006, 05:57 PM
BUCK: Kyle Shotwell 156 tackels, he really fills up that stat sheet

Payton: Santos New Hampshire
I agree with you on Shotwell but I think the voters might not be willing to give it to a Cal Poly player three years in a row.

As far as the Payton award I would think any list should include David Ball from UNH. He is about to break some long standing I-AA career receiving records. If I am not mistaken, records that are held by Jerry Rice.

jmuroller
May 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
LeZotte was 1st team AP in 2003

-edit..i'm almost positive...

PDXCat
May 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Lex Hilliard - Montana
Ryan Force - Montana State

UNH 40
May 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM
My homer picks,

Payton- Santos
Buchanon- CB Corey Graham

bandl
May 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM

I'm fairly certain LZ was still in high school in 2003.

2nd team AP all-american in 2004 as a freshman

1st team AP all-american in 2005 as a sophomore

mikebigg
May 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/henrytolbert.htm

Henry Tolbert (but it's gonna be tough to duplicate last years numbers... Junior Clyde Edwards (a three year starter who lead us in receptions as a true freshman in 2004) returns as does Tim Abney (2003 starter who sat out 2004 until making all SWAC as a TE in 2005). Abney has completely healed from his groin problems and has now shed 25lbs with a return to his 4.4 forty speed. Also, Georgia Tech transfer LaKendrick Bridges has looked impressive with his 4.3 speed and catching skills.

CatFan22
May 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
From MSU:
Payton: Michael Jefferson, Evin Groves
Buchanon: Ryan Force, Epi King

Freightliner
May 9th, 2006, 09:10 PM
well...im going out on a limb here.

TxState Bobcat possibles:
Payton Award - Chase Wasson QB, Daniel Jolly RB

Buchanon Award - Jeremy Castillo LB, Daniel Varvel DB, Mark Washington DL

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 9th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I think Ricky Santos has a good shot.

Jayson Foster will be deadly for anybody who plays GSU this year at WR and punt/kickoff returner.

GSU is also getting some transfers from I-A schools. We are getting a RB from Florida St. who Bobby Bowden said was good even @ FSU and will do wonders @ GSU, a QB from Southern Miss. who is supposed to be pretty nasty, and a few other transfers including a LB from GT.

I think it will be interesting to see how they will fill the gap @ GSU coming from sucessful I-A programs to us. They certainly will be in the consideration for the awards.

R.A.
May 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Justin Durant
Sr.
Linebacker
Hampton University Pirates

-I think Justin Durant, the linebacker from Hampton is a preseason lock for the Buck Buchanan award. This year is his final season.

An excerpt from MEACSPORTS.com.
http://www.meacsports.com/artman/publish/article_1827.shtml

Durant’s third place finish in the Buchanan Award voting solidifies this Florence, South Carolina native as one of the top defensive players in the country. The 2004 and 2005 MEAC Defensive Player of the Year led a Hampton defensive unit that was second in the country in scoring defense (14.0), third in pass defense and sixth in total defense. He recorded 124 tackles on the season, including 61 solo stops, 15 tackles for loss, five sacks, an interception and two fumble recoveries. In addition, had seven games with 10 or more tackles which helped garner all-american honors from the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), The Associated Press, The Sports Network and the Walter Camp Football Foundation.

From the Hampton Pirates Football website.
http://www.hamptonu.edu/athletics/football/2005%20Football/sbn%20all%20americans.htm

Justin Durant, Hampton University, SBN Sports Mel Blount Defensive Player of the Year Durant was the captain of a Pirates defense that was second in the country in scoring defense, third in pass defense and sixth in total defense. The junior from Florence , South Carolina , recorded an MEAC season high with 124 tackles including 61 solo stops, 15 tackles for loss, five sacks, an interception and two fumble recoveries. Durant was also a repeat finalist for the Buch Buchanan Award presented annually to the top defensive player in 1-AA football.

ucdtim17
May 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I'll go out on a very short sturdy limb and nominate Tony Kays (93 catches, 1213 yards last year - 2nd team AP AA). He'll be right there with Ball and Robinson as far as receivers go

Tod
May 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I'll go out on a very short sturdy limb and nominate Tony Kays (93 catches, 1213 yards last year - 2nd team AP AA). He'll be right there with Ball and Robinson as far as receivers go

Just my humble opinion, but I don't think anybody is going to be in Ball's category. There will be other great receivers, but I think Ball is just one of those guys who is above and beyond the rest. If he was a RB, I'd hope that Hilliard could take second place.

Just my :twocents:

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Payton - Clyde Edwards of Grambling...a helluva WR for sure who played prep ball at Westbury HS. He gets in the open field, he's gone!

Kill'em
May 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I think Murrell from App St and Andrew Jones from Furman are serious Buchanon candidates.

grizband
May 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out with that correction. Still, 3rd team all american is pretty impressive as a freshman.
(he was second team AP in 2004)

Payton - Ricky Santos, UNH
Buchanan - Tony LeZotte, JMU (if he wins, it would be the second time a player in the secondary won the award)

By the way, Ball would have to have a monstrous year to win the award (which we all know is possible). There has only been one WR to win the award (Ball did have a better season, though):

1997 Brian Finneran Villanova
96 catches for 1,389 yards and 19 touchdowns (17 regular season)

2005 David Ball UNH
87 catches 1551 yards 24 touchdowns

Tod
May 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out with that correction. Still, 3rd team all american is pretty impressive as a freshman.
(he was second team AP in 2004)

Payton - Ricky Santos, UNH
Buchanan - Tony LeZotte, JMU (if he wins, it would be the second time a player in the secondary won the award)

By the way, Ball would have to have a monstrous year to win the award (which we all know is possible). There has only been one WR to win the award (Ball did have a better season, though):

1997 Brian Finneran Villanova
96 catches for 1,389 yards and 19 touchdowns (17 regular season)

2005 David Ball UNH
87 catches 1551 yards 24 touchdowns

And with Ball coming back with a phenomenal QB to throw to him again...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

It's Ball's to lose, IMHO.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM
LeZotte was selected to the I-AA.org team (I-AA.org only picks one team)as a freshman in 2004, but failed to repeat last season (one of the final cuts as a safety).

eagleskins
May 10th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I think Ricky Santos has a good shot.

Jayson Foster will be deadly for anybody who plays GSU this year at WR and punt/kickoff returner.

GSU is also getting some transfers from I-A schools. We are getting a RB from Florida St. who Bobby Bowden said was good even @ FSU and will do wonders @ GSU, a QB from Southern Miss. who is supposed to be pretty nasty, and a few other transfers including a LB from GT.

I think it will be interesting to see how they will fill the gap @ GSU coming from sucessful I-A programs to us. They certainly will be in the consideration for the awards.

I can tell you none of those transfers will even be on the ballot for the Payton or the Buchanon. The players we already have, will.

nlwwln
May 10th, 2006, 02:49 AM
buc- adam goloboski richmond, jeremy wiggins app state

bluehenbillk
May 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM
The Payton frontrunners have to be Santos & Ball, but don't overlook RB Omar Cuff from Delaware.

Umass74
May 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
For the Payton, you gotta include UMass' Steve Baylark.

3,373 career yards rushing and 29 TD's

If he runs for over 1,000 yards this season he will join only two other backs in I-AA history who have rushed for 1,000 yards four straight years.:hurray:

Hint: the other two played for UNH and Georgia Southern..

colgate13
May 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM
IMO Ball is the frontrunner for the Payton. Not sure about the Buchanon.

Colgate's two hopefuls would be Jordan Scott for the Payton and Geoff Bean for the Buchanon. Both longshots for sure, but who knows?

GannonFan
May 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Cuff from UD certainly gets a preseason nod to be on this list - and he's only a junior this year (that means 2 more years of tormenting JMU's defense).

DUPFLFan
May 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Scott Phaydavong of Drake for the Payton.

All he has done is finish second in rushing to Nick Hartigan in 2005 as a sophomore and sixth in the nation as a freshman in 2004 (according to NCAA Statstics)

Cocky
May 10th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Payton: Clay Green JSU
Buck: Marques Murrell App State

elkmcc
May 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Payton: Lex Hilliard RB Montana
Buck: Mike Murphy DE Montana

Pard4Life
May 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Offense: Santos UNH.. sick numbers, sick offense
Defense: Marques Murrell ASU.. finalist from last year, and no doubt a powerhouse

MYTAPPY
May 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Offense: Santos UNH.. sick numbers, sick offense
Defense: Marques Murrell ASU.. finalist from last year, and no doubt a powerhouse

Pard I agree with you on Santos and no question that Maques Murrell is definitly the front runner to win the Buck this year.

bcrawf
May 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Payton- Eric Sanders, UNI
Buck-- Marques Murrell, Appy

NYSigma
May 10th, 2006, 09:40 AM
For the Payton, you gotta include UMass' Steve Baylark.

3,373 career yards rushing and 29 TD's

If he runs for over 1,000 yards this season he will join only two other backs in I-AA history who have rushed for 1,000 yards four straight years.:hurray:

Hint: the other two played for UNH and Georgia Southern..

Add Alonzo Coleman of Hampton: If HE runs for 1,000 yards he will also have rushed for over 1,000 in four straight seasons!!

3613 Career yards rushing and 50 TD's

2003 1,137 yds 18 TD
2004 1,133 yds 13 TD
2005 1,343 yds 19 TD

UNHWildCats
May 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Its All About Ricky :)

Cocky
May 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Buck---Keep an eye on LaMarcus Rowell LB JSU, he had to sit out last year because of grades. He could be as good as anyone.

SochorField
May 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Homer Picks:

Buck: James Amos (DE)

Payton: Tony Kays (this is the final year of the Grant-to-Kays combo, it will be fun for both)

Umass74
May 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Add Alonzo Coleman of Hampton: If HE runs for 1,000 yards he will also have rushed for over 1,000 in four straight seasons!!

2003 1,137 yds 18 TD
2004 1,133 yds 13 TD
2005 1,343 yds 19 TD

NYSigma:

Thanks for bring that up! I didn't know Coleman was in the running (pun there I guess) for four straight 1,000 yard seasons.

I'll have to keep an eye on his career. Hope they both make it! 50 I-AA TD's are impressive. :bow:

PantherMan
May 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Payton: Clay Green, Jax State

Buck: Clint Sellers, Eastern Illinois

Good Lord, is that the same Clint Sellers that started out at UNI before going to NIACC?? I could swear that I met that guy while I was in school...xcoffeex

After further research, it is him...interesting...

youwouldno
May 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Murrell is overrated, Hunter was much better last year and despite Murrell's obvious overall athleticism, he won't dominate the top tackles in I-AA.

mikebigg
May 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Payton - Clyde Edwards of Grambling...a helluva WR for sure who played prep ball at Westbury HS. He gets in the open field, he's gone!

TT, Did you see Edwards play in high school? I heard that his high school team didn't have a very good record and they had a stud receiver playing opposite him who went to UT. What do you know?

Clyde is a very brilliant student...I know he had a 4.0 his freshman year not sure how he followed up, but I'm told that he is a really smart kid.

mikebigg
May 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM

2003 1,137 yds 18 TD
2004 1,133 yds 13 TD
2005 1,343 yds 19 TD

Good running back...I remember seeing him as a freshman. He's nice!

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
TT, Did you see Edwards play in high school? I heard that his high school team didn't have a very good record and they had a stud receiver playing opposite him who went to UT. What do you know?

Sure did, George Walker. Edwards and Walker are speed demons! You may recall a WR that went through Westbury HS a few years before them.

Remember Bennie Brazell? All-American hurdler, Olympic hurdler and oh yes, LSU WR? He actually got drafted in the NFL draft. Won NCAA titles in track and field as well as football in one year. He went to Westbury HS. The QB just had to make it somewhat accurate and it was a score! Brazell had all these long TDs because he'd gain a few yards per every ten yards like none else!

WHS is known as a track and field school. Sometimes it translates over to football very nicely...

Kiss My Apps
May 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Its a real longshot for a receiver to win it... Fowlkes didn't win it with the absolutely ridiculous statistics he put up two years ago.

Santos and Murrell are my picks.

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Its a real longshot for a receiver to win it... Fowlkes didn't win it with the absolutely ridiculous statistics he put up two years ago.

Santos and Murrell are my picks.

I agree, and even more unlikely for a WR to win it if the man throwing to him is Ricky Santos. I expect after the late season sucess Santos had running we will see more of that all season and he may have a shot at 1000 rushing to go with his 3000+ passing and 40 TDs

nick9c
May 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Don't underestimate the chances of Furman's fullback Jerome Felton for the Payton award. This guy carries a load, and according to Coach Lamb, pro scouts (in to see Ingle Martin) have said he is already a cinch as a first day draft pick (and he is only a junior.)

ballin4life
July 2nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
who is pantherman that knows clint sellers?

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Don't underestimate the chances of Furman's fullback Jerome Felton for the Payton award. This guy carries a load, and according to Coach Lamb, pro scouts (in to see Ingle Martin) have said he is already a cinch as a first day draft pick (and he is only a junior.)

Normally I would say this is way too early to be talking first day but I have to agree that Felton will or has a chance to and I think LeZotte of JMU will as well. Felton could play TB or FB. He reminds me of a faster Jerome Bettis and a much better version of Nemehiah Broughton.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
After reading this thread and looking at the position rankings on TSN here are my picks to be on the list (I pretty much copied who I thought Matt would pick from his list) Who am I leaving off, besides the homer picks lol?

Payton
QB Ricky Santos, UNH
QB Eric Sanders, UNI
QB Justin Rascati, JMU
QB Jon Grant, UC Davis
RB Arkee Whitlock, SIU
RB Clifton Dawson, Harvard
RB Omar Cuff, Delaware
RB Kevin Richardson, Appy
RB James Noble, Cal Poly
RB Lex Hilliard, Montana
RB Alonzo Coleman, Hampton
RB Lerron Moore, Western Kentucky
RB Clay Green, Jax State
WR David Ball, UNH
WR Laurent Robinson, Illinois State
WR Tony Kays, UC Davis

Note: FB Jerome Felton of Furman is a top 16 player but with a stable of backs helping carry the load I don't see him getting 1,100+ plus yards to earn a spot on the final list. Remember the list is not an NFL prospect list, it's based on production in I-AA.

Buchanan
DE Marques Murrell, Appy
DE Martin Jackson, Alcorn State- he is really good, you guys have totally forgotten him
DE Mike Murphy, Montana
LB Chad Nkang, Elon
LB Justin Durant, Hampton
LB Clint Sellars, Eastern Illinois
LB Tyler Knight, MVSU
LB Kyle Shotwell, Cal Poly
LB Cameron Siskowic, Illinois State
LB Gian Villante, Hofstra
LB Zak DeOssie, Brown
LB John Mohring, Georgia Southern
CB Codera Jackson, Youngstown State
S Tony LeZotte, JMU
S Corey Lynch, Appy
S Tristan Burge, EIU

Note: My sleeper here is LB Epikopo King of Montana State. CB Corey Graham of UNH will end up on this list IMO. He is one of the most underrated players in the nation. I think that Keldrick Holman should be on the list too but he was rated 4th among safeties and I don't see that many safeties making the list.

GSUSpider
July 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Payton- Jerome Felton, FB, Furman

Buck- Adam Goloboski, LB, Richmond

TheValleyRaider
July 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Preseason Payton Final 3:
Lex Hilliard
Eric Sanders
Ricky Santos/David Ball (regardless of the #'s, only one of them will make the final 3, I would say)

MR. CHICKEN
July 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
PAYTON:...........DAVID BALL.............................NEW HAMPSHIRE
BUCHANON:.....MARQUES MURRELL.................APPALACHIAN STATE

cosmo here
July 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
PAYTON:...........DAVID BALL.............................NEW HAMPSHIRE
BUCHANON:.....MARQUES MURRELL.................APPALACHIAN STATE

Chicken, your syntax is too clean, I can't understand this post at all . . and where's the plug for your man Omar ?

MR. CHICKEN
July 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
COSMO......UNFORTUNATELY...OMAR...."DUH TOUCHDOWN MAKER"...IS BEHIND BALL..(WHO WILL OWN JERRY AFTERAH DIS SEASON)....AN' SANTOS......NEXT YEAR.........UNLESS........DUH....."CHICKENS"....PULL OFF 'NOTHERAH...2003............:( : smh : :( ..........BRAWK!

DID AH MENTION.......AH LOVE....HARMONICA FATS????

SYNTAX...(YES AH HAVE SYNNED.....HOW MUCH DO AH OWE?):confused:

fuEMO
July 3rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
I know they are juniors.

But Felton and A Jones will make alot of noise.

http://static.flickr.com/56/181241710_4b5cafc3ab.jpg?v=0

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Gateway homer picks.

Payton: Arkee Whitlock of SIU
Buck: Cameron Siskowic of Illinois State

ISUMatt
July 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
MORE HOMER PICKS...

Payton- Laurent Robinson-WR Illinois State
Buck- Cameron Siskowic-LB Illinois State

Spider
July 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM
buc- adam goloboski richmond, jeremy wiggins app state
I agree on your pick of Adam Goloboski, RICHMOND......he is one tough kid...