PDA

View Full Version : Big South Championship game 11/19

knucklehead
November 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
11/19 (15/16) Liberty 7-3 (5-0) at Stony Brook 6-3 (4-0)

Liberty is on a bye on the 12th, while Stony Brook plays @ Gardner Webb. I expect Stony Brook to keep it simple though because the outcome does not change the fact that 11/19 will be winner take all on Long Island for the Big South Auto Bid. So it's the playoffs the week before the playoffs!

knucklehead
November 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Some good preview on this game from Chris Lang: http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2011/nov/07/monday-liberty-football-wrap-117-ar-1441646/

… I think there will be a lot of pressure on Liberty’s cornerbacks to be strong in man coverage because they’ll be on an island quite a bit. Stony Brook’s strength is clearly running the ball, and the Flames will probably throw a lot of run blitzes at SBU and play the safeties up to keep the run game under control. But Kyle Essington is capable of throwing the football, and the play-action game could end up being big. That’s where it helps having a guy like Brent Vinson at linebacker. He’s played safety. He can cover running backs and tight ends over the middle if needed. But I can’t imagine LU will throw a ton of soft Cover 2 at the Seawolves knowing how well Miguel Maysonet and Brock Jackolski can run the ball. Another positive: cornerbacks Walt Aikens and Kevin Fogg are both very strong tacklers and excel in run pursuit.

Meanwhile, Stony Brook has been strong against the run but weak against the pass. The Seawolves rank 95th in the FCS in pass defense. UTEP threw for 365 yards against Stony Brook. Brown tossed for 292. Lafayette for 400. VMI threw for 299 and Charleston Southern threw for 342. Take away the Coastal game which was played in brutal conditions where passing was close to impossible, and the Seawolves would probably be ranked worse than 100th in pass defense.

knucklehead
November 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Bump. (Current #16) LU 7-3 (5-0) vs SBU (sure to be ranked tomorrow) 7-3 (5-0) both teams gunning for the big south title and their first ever playoff berth. Shout be an epic battle. SBU Huge on the run with a limited passing game. LU Huge on the pass with a surging running game.

knucklehead
November 14th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Another great preview article from Chris Lang. http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2011/nov/14/liberty-stony-brook-delving-numbers-ar-1458363/
What’s on the line? Obviously, a spot in the FCS playoffs. The winner gets in, the loser goes home. To reiterate, neither team will get to seven Division I wins without winning this game, so neither will be in play for an at-large berth. I know, I know. It’s a suggestion, not a requirement. Well, I’m suggesting that no FCS team has ever received an at-large bid without getting to seven DI wins, and that won’t change this year.

Sly Fox
November 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Anyone who enjoys the playoff experience should be down with this matchup in Long Island THIS Saturday. Winner moves on and the loser is done. Oh yeah, there's a conference title at stake. But this really is a playoff game first & foremost.

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hope to see as many Liberty Fans as possible make the trip. This game couldn't have been scripted any better. And you right 100% right this is a playoff game plain and simple. Winner take all.

knucklehead
November 14th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'm psyched to be there!

knucklehead
November 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Here are the regional/national TV/radio options for the game:

ESPN3.com - National Coverage
(Web-based internet stream from ESPN)
Game Will be Carried Live

MASN - Local/Regional Coverage
Game Will be Carried Live
Direct TV - Channel 640