PDA

View Full Version : SportsNetwork.com Bracket projection: Nov. 6th

kdinva
November 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

James Madison and Jacks. St. out, Furman and E. Kentucky in........they predict Liberty will win at Stony Brook in 13 days......4 ea. from CAA & SoCon.....Norfolk St. w/an exhausting 5 mile drive to ODU.

strike00
November 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
they have 4 in from the MVFC also.

cbarrier90
November 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
App @ NDSU potentially in the quarterfinals. NICE!

Twentysix
November 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
They are sending montana to UNI. Why put Montana in the playoffs if you arent even gonna let them host a game?

If they sent lehigh or towson to montana and then taken the odd man out and sent them to UNI would make more sense imo.

Twentysix
November 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM
App @ NDSU potentially in the quarterfinals. NICE!

I agree that would be a fantastic game. I assume app would bring several thousand.

Mountaineer#96
November 6th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I agree that would be a fantastic game. I assume app would bring several thousand.

You would assume a bit too high. Maybe more like 500-1000.

Due to the playoff process and short notice for people to make adequate plans, traveling to North Dakota is off the table in this economy for most App fans.

Twentysix
November 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM
You would assume a bit too high. Maybe more like 500-1000.

Due to the playoff process and short notice for people to make adequate plans, traveling to North Dakota is off the table in this economy for most App fans.

:( How many went to montana? Nashville to fargo is a little under $500 round trip. App fans fly from where, charlotte? That would be really expensive.

TheDancinMonarch
November 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
.....Norfolk St. w/an exhausting 5 mile drive to ODU.

Have you seen or experienced Norfolk traffic recently? xeekx

Drblankstare
November 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Is it just me, or is the top part of this bracket absolutely stacked. Wow

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
They are sending montana to UNI. Why put Montana in the playoffs if you arent even gonna let them host a game?

If they sent lehigh or towson to montana and then taken the odd man out and sent them to UNI would make more sense imo.

This was the same guy who last week had an unseeded Montana team traveling to an unseeded Georgia Southern. There would be no way in hell GSU would outbid Montana. Montana puts in whopper bids because they know they can out-attend everyone.

Squealofthepig
November 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
This was the same guy who last week had an unseeded Montana team traveling to an unseeded Georgia Southern. There would be no way in hell GSU would outbid Montana. Montana puts in whopper bids because they know they can out-attend everyone.

Everyone except ASU, to be fair. But agree on your point.

kdinva
November 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
they have 4 in from the MVFC also.

Sorry for the oversite......

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Everyone except ASU, to be fair. But agree on your point.

Look at the history of the playoffs. Even ASU does not outdraw Montana. On average, Montana outdraws App by 6K in the playoffs.

Last time Montana was in the playoffs (2009) they drew:
SDSU - 19,197
SFA - 22,438
APP - 24,207

2008 first round for Montana 19,489

First round last three years for App: 13,716 (2008), 12,216 (09) and 13,322 (10)

kdinva
November 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Have you seen or experienced Norfolk traffic recently? xeekx

I didn't estimate the TIME of the drive.. :D

Mountaineer#96
November 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
:( How many went to montana? Nashville to fargo is a little under $500 round trip. App fans fly from where, charlotte? That would be really expensive.

Charlotte would be most likely, Nashville is about a 5--6 hr drive from the Boone area. Hard to really say how many folks could shake it now days.

The trip to Montana had a pretty good App showing, roughly 1000-2000. What I know of that is from a friend who made the trip and estimated although. The economy was looking pretty good at that time though.

I would say that no more than 1000 went to that game.

BisonFan02
November 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Charlotte would be most likely, Nashville is about a 5--6 hr drive from the Boone area. Hard to really say how many folks could shake it now days.

The trip to Montana had a pretty good App showing, roughly 1000-2000. What I know of that is from a friend who made the trip and estimated although. The economy was looking pretty good at that time though.

Best bet would be US airways from Charlotte to Minneapolis. The drive from the Twin Cities isn't too bad and the airfare wouldn't be too bad on a direct flight.

WileECoyote06
November 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Richmond, KY is closer to Greenville, SC than Terre Haute. Plus I think Indiana State will make the top 12. Towson hosts UNH who seem to be rounding into form. I think they'll be dropped back into the first round and host Illinois State.

I also think the CAA champion will receive a seed; #3 or #4.

Woody Hayes
November 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
UNI@NDSU rematch in the semis ohhh man.

Poly's Brutality
November 7th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Look at the history of the playoffs. Even ASU does not outdraw Montana. On average, Montana outdraws App by 6K in the playoffs.

Last time Montana was in the playoffs (2009) they drew:
SDSU - 19,197
SFA - 22,438
APP - 24,207

2008 first round for Montana 19,489

First round last three years for App: 13,716 (2008), 12,216 (09) and 13,322 (10)

Shoot man if the playoffs were nicer weather I might even go myself! Had great time there in September - lots to like there.

Go Apps
November 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Here is my take for now!

Bracket I:
Norfolk State @ Liberty winner at No. 1 NDSU
N. Iowa @ Montana

Albany @ N. Hampshire winner at No. 4 GSU
Lehigh @ No. 5 Towson

Bracket II:
EKU @ Furman winner at No. 3 Sam Houston State
ODU @ ASU

C. Arkansas @ Ill State winner at No. 2 Montana State
Wofford @ Maine

OL FU
November 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I know nothing about EKU attendance, but I wonder if we would outbid them for the first round. I know we have bid well in the past, but our attendance on thanksgiving weekend has been awful.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 7th, 2011, 08:43 AM
The Sports Network might want to consider hiring someone who's NOT 23 and fresh out of school to cover FCS. If that description doesn't fit the writer, he's just lazy and hasn't done his research. Geography and attendance are, unfortunately, huge factors in determining the bracket because the NCAA is footing the bill and wants to get by as cheaply as possible.

UNIFanSince1983
November 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I would love to see Montana come to The DOME. Of course I have a hard time seeing that happen anytime other than if we were seeded higher than them and it was like the Semis or so.

katstrapper
November 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Here is my take for now!

Bracket I:
N. Iowa @ Montana

Lehigh @ No. 5 Towson

Bracket II:
ODU @ ASU

C. Arkansas @ Ill State winner at No. 2 Montana StateWofford @ Maine

If C. Arkansas does get in playoffs, whoever has to play them better be ready. The Bears just may be peaking at the right time.

knucklehead
November 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Here is a projection from Chris Lang who is a great FCS beat writer:

NEW THIS WEEK: Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas
OUT FROM LAST WEEK: Jacksonville State, Indiana State

FIRST ROUND
Norfolk State (9-2) at Liberty (8-3)
Illinois State (8-3) at Maine (8-3)
Albany (8-3) at Furman (7-4)
Eastern Kentucky (7-4) at Central Arkansas (8-3)

SECOND ROUND
ISU/Maine winner at #1 North Dakota State (11-0)
Northern Iowa (8-3) at Montana (8-3)
NSU/Liberty winner at #4 Georgia Southern (9-2)
Towson (9-2) at #5 Lehigh (10-1)
Albany/Furman at #3 Sam Houston State (11-0)
Wofford (8-3) at Old Dominion (9-2)
EKU/UCA winner at #2 Montana State (10-1)
New Hampshire (8-3) at Appalachian State (8-3)

NOTES: JMU is going to have a really hard time getting in at 7-4 this season. Just don't see it. The Dukes needed to beat one of the top teams in the CAA and they whiffed against Maine, UNH and ODU. The best win on their schedule is at Liberty. Furman's win over App State is better than anything JMU has on its resume. Also, Albany and Maine is a natural fit as a first-round matchup, but the two teams met earlier this year and Maine is more than 400 miles from Albany (408 to be exact). So the NCAA won't be held to that regional matchup. Hard to believe that the CAA champ wouldn't get a seed, and I could see Towson sneaking in as the No. 5. If that happens, they'll probably still play Lehigh, but the game would be at Towson.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2011/nov/05/projecting-fcs-playoff-field-two-weeks-out-ar-1438320/

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I'd take Indiana St out and put UCA in (for now). A slip up by UCA could open the door for the Trees or another bubble team like JMU or the #2 from the MEAC/OVC.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Check this thread if you would like to do your own playoff projections ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?98982-Make-Your-Own-Playoff-Projection-Bracket.&p=1716641&posted=1#post1716641

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The Sports Network might want to consider hiring someone whose NOT 23 and fresh out of school to cover FCS. If that description doesn't fit the writer, he's just lazy and hasn't done his research. Geography and attendance are, unfortunately, huge factors in determining the bracket because the NCAA is footing the bill and wants to get by as cheaply as possible.

I'm willing to forgive him if Lehigh gets the draw he's describing (@ Towson, play either @ SHSU or bid against Furman or Indiana State for a home game)

I do believe if it comes between Towson or Lehigh hosting a second-round game, Lehigh out-bids Towson.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
FWIW I think UCA is in if they beat Texas State.

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Best bet would be US airways from Charlotte to Minneapolis. The drive from the Twin Cities isn't too bad and the airfare wouldn't be too bad on a direct flight.

Expedia shows around 400 a ticket roundtrip from Asheville to Minneapolis, Not too bad. How far a drive would it be? Add car and Hotel, beer, liquor, bail money it's probably a 1000, right?

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Here is my take for now!

Bracket I:
N. Iowa @ Montana

Lehigh @ No. 5 Towson

Bracket II:
ODU @ ASU

C. Arkansas @ Ill State winner at No. 2 Montana State
Wofford @ Maine

Not sure about the NIU at Montana in the first round. I'ds say NIU hosts that game and not that early. That would be a bear of a first round game IMO.

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Expedia shows around 400 a ticket roundtrip from Asheville to Minneapolis, Not too bad. How far a drive would it be? Add car and Hotel, beer, liquor, bail money it's probably a 1000, right?

Its about a 4hr drive from the airport to Fargo depending on the time of day (494 and 94). Can't put an estimate on beer/liquor and bail, but I would suppose that number may be a moving target. :D

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Its about a 4hr drive from the airport to Fargo depending on the time of day (494 and 94). Can't put an estimate on beer/liquor and bail, but I would suppose that number may be a moving target. :D

I should also note that drive time would also depend on weather....getting to that time of year.

SpeedkingATL
November 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
That bracket shows 3 second round match-ups are highly likely between the SoCon and CAA. That WOULD be fun. In the SoCon, Elon has the chance to be the spoiler and possibly knock Furple, App or both out of the playoffs.

unigriff
November 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
No way would UNI and Montana play in the first round. Both are high bidders and UNI would prob. be seeded. I could see a quarter final game between the two...but not a 1st round (2nd round really) game.

boonegoon
November 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I should also note that drive time would also depend on weather....getting to that time of year.

Is North Dakota like South Dakota where you have to take a jerry can of fuel in case you run out or are there some pushwater stations?

BisonFan02
November 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Is North Dakota like South Dakota where you have to take a jerry can of fuel in case you run out or are there some pushwater stations?

Plenty to stops on the interstate, non issue.

Twentysix
November 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
What the hell is a pushwater station? Damn hillbilly speak.

ND (and I assume western Minnesota) was settled by the railroad there is a town every couple miles along 94.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Class1rr.png

Reading what I wrote combined with looking at a picture should explain to you why ND is not like SD in this regaurd.

Choo choo.

bojeta
November 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM
It that's the way they set it up, here's my prediction: Montana vs Montana State in the championship.