PDA

View Full Version : Bracket Projections, 11/6

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Since Texas Terror has repeatedly asked me to make my own bracket projections when I have a problem with his (and I admire his, as I know he works quite hard at it) here are my thoughts on the brackets:

Current Seeds:

1. North Dakota State (8-0, wins over UNI, Minnesota [FBS], Illinois State)
2. Sam Houston State (9-0, wins over UCA, New Mexico [FBS])
3. Towson (7-1 in FCS, wins over ODU, Maine)
4. Georgia Southern (7-1 in FCS, win over Furman)
5. Montana State (8-0 in FCS, lack of signature win to date)

I realize these seeds will come off as a bit controversial, but what matters to me is quality of wins. I prefer Towson's wins over Georgia Southern's and Montana State's, even though Towson's loss to Delaware is worse than Montana State's loss to Utah or Georgia Southern's loss to Appalachian State.

Automatic Qualifiers (presuming these 5 above all take AQ's):

Big South: Liberty (neither Liberty or SBU are very good, but maybe this is finally the year)
MEAC: Norfolk State (what a mess; praying they beat Morgan to avoid chaos)
NEC: Albany (though uh-oh if they lose to Monmouth)
OVC: EKU (shocker yesterday, 2 home games to finish the season)
Patriot: Lehigh (get GU at home)

That should leave ten at-large teams left:

1. Montana (7 DI wins, bad loss to Sac State, perhaps quality W over Cal Poly?)
2. New Hampshire (7 DI wins, bad loss to W&M, good wins over JMU, Lehigh)
3. Maine (7 DI wins, good win over JMU, no bad losses)
4. Old Dominion (8 DI wins, good win over JMU, but saying that a lot)
5. Northern Iowa (7 DI wins, good win over ISUb and YSU)
6. Illinois State (7 DI wins, win over ISUb -- play UNI to close season)
7. Wofford (7 DI wins, win over Appalachian State)
8. Appalachian State (6 DI wins, win over Georgia Southern, host WCU next)
9. Furman (6 DI wins, wins over Wofford and App. State, need to beat Elon)
10. Georgetown (8 DI wins, no quality wins, losses to Yale/Bucknell) [REPLACED by UCA if they beat Texas State in the finale, and Georgetown loses to Lehigh]

--

I think the first nine are fairly obvious choices. All are either already qualified or likely to qualify. Georgetown is a bit out of left field, but consider the other options: Indiana State (lost 3 of 4, no lock for 7 DI wins); Youngstown State (travel to NDSU next, if they lose, no 7 DI wins), JMU (lost 3 of 4, two tough games left including @ UMass), the MEAC is a complete mess, and frankly, not very good; Duquesne (can't imagine two NEC's get picked, even if the PL is not a huge step up); Jacksonville State (lost three in a row); Murray State (I mean, a 7-4 OVC team?); UCA (the Southland hasn't been very good either, and I don't know if UCA is going to get there, but they're the best team to possibly sub in).

---

First Round Teams:

Liberty, Norfolk State, Albany, EKU, Georgetown, Illinois State, Montana, Old Dominion

Matchups [I haven't done the mileage research here, so Norfolk State/ODU might make more sense, or Liberty/ODU, so feel free to compensate as such]:

Norfolk State @ Liberty
Georgetown @ Old Dominion
EKU @ Illinois State
Albany @ Montana

Big Bracket:

Norfolk State/Liberty winner @ #1 NDSU
Maine @ Northern Iowa

Georgetown/Old Dominion winner @ #4 Georgia Southern
Furman @ #5 Montana State

EKU/Illinois State winner @ #2 Sam Houston State
New Hampshire @ Wofford

Albany/Montana Winner @ #3 Towson
Lehigh @ Appalachian State

--

A couple of notes: if Lehigh/UNH is bussing distance, that matchup probably happens. I unfortunately don't see a tremendous amount of opportunity for regionalization, but did the best I could. Less concerned about the matchups than the selections, though. Let me know what you think.

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2011, 08:13 AM
FYI, NDSU win was over Minny this year, Kansas last year, and they are 9-0, and also beat ISU Blue

andy7171
November 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Montana coming to Towson! I like it! LOL

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Teams that get in for sure AT THIS POINT:
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota State
Georgia Southern
UNI
Maine
Old Dominion
Towson
New Hampshire
Sam Houston State

Teams that will get in for sure as soon as they get one more win/clinch conference title:
App State
Wofford
Patriot autobid (Lehigh)
Big South autobid (Stony Brook/ Liberty)
NEC autobid (?)
MEAC autobid (Norfolk state)
OVC autobid (Eastern Kentucky)
James Madison

That leaves 2 spots open, my bubble teams are:
Central Arkansas
Furman

FurmanWins!!
November 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Go FU, Beat Elon and we are in baby!!!

Twentysix
November 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Teams that get in for sure AT THIS POINT:
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota State
Georgia Southern
UNI
Maine
Old Dominion
Towson
New Hampshire
Sam Houston State

Teams that will get in for sure as soon as they get one more win/clinch conference title:
App State
Wofford
Patriot autobid (Lehigh)
Big South autobid (Stony Brook/ Liberty)
NEC autobid (?)
MEAC autobid (Norfolk state)
OVC autobid (Eastern Kentucky)
James Madison

That leaves 2 spots open, my bubble teams are:
Central Arkansas
Furman

Illinois state has 7 wins already. And they are on a 5 game win streak.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I think the committee would put a team with zero FCS losses over those with one, so I think MSU would be #3 in your scenario. Good effort on the brackets though, I can't complain, for I haven't put one out.

joecooll6
November 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
How come no one mentions Portland State? You'd think if they got to 8-3 they'd be a candidate for last team in right?

joecooll6
November 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM
How come no one mentions Portland State? You'd think if they got to 8-3 they'd be a candidate for last team in right?

Nevermind I see they have 2 DII wins.

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM

PSU can't reach 7 DI wins.

Green26
November 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Montana has a reasonable shot at beating Montana St. If that occurs, then who gets the seeds?

Green26
November 6th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Nevermind I see they have 2 DII wins.

PSU has 3 losses, to TCU, Montana St by 2 points at home, and Montana by 6 points on the road. They still have to beat Weber at home. Southern Oregon and Williamette were their sub D-I games.

LEHIGH61
November 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Why wouldn't a 10-1 Lehigh get a seed and a home game?

FargoBison
November 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Why wouldn't a 10-1 Lehigh get a seed and a home game?

SOS is my guess.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Montana has a reasonable shot at beating Montana St. If that occurs, then who gets the seeds?

Exactly. Their only FCS loss would be Sac State. A team that beat FBS Oregon State. Say what you will about Sac State playing up and down all season, they would beat 95% of the teams out there when playing at the top of their game.

LEHIGH61
November 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
What is SOS? The only seeds that are definite would be North Dakota State, Sam Houston, and Montana State (if they beat Montana). Many other possibilities exist for the 2 remaining seeds.

BEAR
November 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
If UCA wins against Texas State that will put them:

7 DI wins in a row. Near win to La. Tech. Beat FBS transitional Texas State. Only losses to FBS and Sam. How could they not get in?!

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM
What is SOS? The only seeds that are definite would be North Dakota State, Sam Houston, and Montana State (if they beat Montana). Many other possibilities exist for the 2 remaining seeds.

Strength of Schedule.

Fear the Bird
November 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Strength of Schedule Lehigh hasnt beaten anybody to warrant a seed

LEHIGH61
November 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Well they should be Ranked in the top 5 at 10-1 before it's all over. The only blemish ended against UNH with a second and 10 at the 25 in overtime. That UNH out of bounds catch was a joke.

Fear the Bird
November 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Judging from what i have seen on AGS they wont be top 10 this week...that being said it isnt a relevant poll for seeding

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Illinois state has 7 wins already. And they are on a 5 game win streak.

but no big wins, unless they beat UNI next week

ursus arctos horribilis
November 6th, 2011, 02:45 PM
If anyone wants to do their own bracket projection on a spreadsheet I've got then check this link.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?98982-Make-Your-Own-Playoff-Projection-Bracket.&p=1716641&posted=1#post1716641

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Well they should be Ranked in the top 5 at 10-1 before it's all over. The only blemish ended against UNH with a second and 10 at the 25 in overtime. That UNH out of bounds catch was a joke.

No quality wins. UNH has a better resume.

Dallas Demon
November 6th, 2011, 03:12 PM
If UCA wins against Texas State that will put them:

7 DI wins in a row. Near win to La. Tech. Beat FBS transitional Texas State. Only losses to FBS and Sam. How could they not get in?!

UCA will get in with a win over Texas St. That was a playoff team I saw on the field yesterday, and Nathan Dick was very impressive at QB. UCA's only losses were in OT to an FBS team, another loss to another FBS team, and also a loss to a top 5 FCS team. If that is not enough to secure a playoff berth then we have playoff selection issues.

Engineer86
November 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
SOS is my guess.

What about the team that has a weaker strength of schedule yet no one questions their being seeded? If Lehigh had just a bit easier schedule without UNH OT loss I guess they get seeded no problem at 11-0? My point is not that LU should necessarily, but why is SHSU such a sure thing?

FargoBison
November 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
What about the team that has a weaker strength of schedule yet no one questions their being seeded? If Lehigh had just a bit easier schedule without UNH OT loss I guess they get seeded no problem at 11-0? My point is not that LU should necessarily, but why is SHSU such a sure thing?

They haven't lost and have left little in doubt in any of their games, if they drop a game though. They'd drop like a rock.

Woody Hayes
November 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
All of these brackets i have seen are shaping up to have a UNI ndsu rematch.... that would be deadly in the playoffs.

jmufan999
November 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I haven't done the mileage research here, so Norfolk State/ODU might make more sense, or Liberty/ODU, so feel free to compensate as such

Norfolk St. and ODU are both in Norfolk, fewer than 5 miles apart.

James Madison

Huh? Not only will JMU not make the playoffs with 1 win, they won't get in with 2 wins.

Fear the Bird
November 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM

I would seed SHSU 5 as i probably would Lehigh had they beat UNH and run the table i posted this somewhere else but i have NDSU, MSU, Woff/GSU winner, Towson/UNH winner, SHSU in that order