PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 11.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I was 2-2 this past week, pushing my overall record to 43-8. Furman's effort against Appalachian shows that they need one win to get themselves in. Chattanooga decided to take their frustrations out on Samford since they weren't going to the playoffs this year. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Wofford (1 of 2) - Is now in a win and they're in situation.
2) Georgia Southern (IN) - Can thank they lucky stars this week.
3) Furman (1 of 2) - enhanced their playoff chances this week
4) Appalachian State (1 of 2) - Could not get the job done in Greenville
5) The Citadel (Eliminated) - Had nothing to be ashamed of against GSU.
6) Chattanooga (Eliminated) - Eliminated Samford this week.
7) Samford (Eliminated) - Saw their playoffs chances ended this week.
8) Elon (Eliminated) - Is Shuman feeling better now?
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - Who's next to lose his job this week?

Predictions with the score
Western Carolina 7 @ Appalachian State 79 (Beatdown of the week) - Frustrated Mountaineers annihilate Catamounts to retain possession of the Old Mountain Jug.
Elon 14 @ Furman 35 - Paladins roll to yet another victory as they position themselves for the playoffs
Samford 20 @ The Citadel 28 - Would this qualify as an upset?
Georgia Southern 34 @ Wofford 38 (Game of the week) - Terriers takedown the Eagles to clinch a share of the SoCon championship.

FurmanWins!!
November 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Go Paladins, Beat Elon!

CID1990
November 5th, 2011, 11:51 PM

No. Even without a passing game, we are clicking, and our defense is a monster. If we do not have to rely on our kicker, we will likely win this game, and it is in Charleston.

One busted coverage on GSU's first play from scrimmage was the difference yesterday. Other than that, Seantaylor's predicted 60+ points would have been just 7.

If we can install even the most basic passing game next year, we will be a contender. Heck, i am still thinking that we have a shot at sneaking up on the Coots in two weeks. Would love to see the Ol Ball Coach throw his visor a few times.

Wofford 28 GSU 17
ASU 54 WCU 10
Furple 35 Elon 9
The Citadel 27 Samford 12 (we block one punt in this game to tie the NCAA season record)

tractorapp
November 6th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I was 2-2 this past week, pushing my overall record to 43-8. Furman's effort against Appalachian shows that they need one win to get themselves in. Chattanooga decided to take their frustrations out on Samford since they weren't going to the playoffs this year. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Wofford (1 of 2) - Is now in a win and they're in situation.
2) Georgia Southern (IN) - Can thank they lucky stars this week.
3) Furman (1 of 2) - enhanced their playoff chances this week
4) Appalachian State (1 of 2) - Could not get the job done in Greenville
5) The Citadel (Eliminated) - Had nothing to be ashamed of against GSU.
6) Chattanooga (Eliminated) - Eliminated Samford this week.
7) Samford (Eliminated) - Saw their playoffs chances ended this week.
8) Elon (Eliminated) - Is Shuman feeling better now?
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - Who's next to lose his job this week?

Predictions with the score
Western Carolina 7 @ Appalachian State 79 (Beatdown of the week) - Frustrated Mountaineers annihilate Catamounts to retain possession of the Old Mountain Jug.
Elon 14 @ Furman 35 - Paladins roll to yet another victory as they position themselves for the playoffs
Georgia Southern 34 @ Wofford 38 (Game of the week) - Terriers takedown the Eagles to clinch the SoCon championship.
Wofford would clinch a tie for the title by beating GSU, but would still have to beat Chatty to win it outright. Otherwise, very possible to have a 4 way tie for first in the SoCon with ASU, GSU, FU, and Wofford all 6-2. Hey, one can dream right?

asucrutch23
November 6th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Wofford would clinch a tie for the title by beating GSU, but would still have to beat Chatty to win it outright. Otherwise, very possible to have a 4 way tie for first in the SoCon with ASU, GSU, FU, and Wofford all 6-2. Hey, one can dream right?

I've looked at this scenario as well. Who gets the autobid if that happens?

I believe the first tiebreaker would be record against the other tied teams:

Wofford: 2-1
Furman: 2-1
GSU: 1-2
ASU: 1-2

Then with only 2 remaining tied teams, I believe it would go to head-to-head:

Furman beat Wofford, so the autobid goes to...... FU xeekx

GATA
November 6th, 2011, 06:50 AM
No. Even without a passing game, we are clicking, and our defense is a monster. If we do not have to rely on our kicker, we will likely win this game, and it is in Charleston.

One busted coverage on GSU's first play from scrimmage was the difference yesterday. Other than that, Seantaylor's predicted 60+ points would have been just 7.

Very true. You guys are much improved this year...but lets not forget...GSU had an unforced fumble in the redzone in the first half, which would have at least been a shot at a field goal attempt. Then, in the second half we fumbled the ball on the one yard line when we had a chance to go up by 9 and essentially end that game. The game certainly wasn't going to be a blowout by any means...but we had a change to wrap that thing up and we absolutely blew it. real choke job.

We basically played a very sloppy offensive game against a very solid defensive Citadel bunch (who also took care of the football) and it ALLLLLMOOOOSTTT killed us.

Hats off to you guys for gutting it out. Seems like you've been RIGHT THERE in a bunch of games this season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2011, 07:16 AM

I honestly don't believe the 4-way tie scenario is all that unlikely. UTC has two weeks to prepare for Wofford and is still dangerous (lost to GSU, App., and Furman by a combined total of 10 points) and is very capable of beating Wofford.

On the other hand, App. State certainly exposed a weakness in GSU's defense (trying to force Jaybo to make plays running the ball and IMO we are still trying to plug up that hole. I do not feel good about this game. Oh, and it doesn't mean jack that GSU played The Citadel the week before Wofford. It's not like we need the scout team to emulate the option offense.

My rankings.
1: Wofford
2: GSU
3: Furman
4: App. State
5: The Cid
6: Chatty
7: Samford
8: Elon
9: Western

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Feels good to have the big 3 back. Big difference now is the rest of the conference is much better than it used to be.

Which team has had the biggest road win of the year? Furman over UTC? Samford over Furman? Every team has been pretty stalwart in protecting their homefield.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Well I have absolutely no clue which Wofford team will show up Saturday. And everyone needs to shut up about the big 3, because it's the big 4 if anything.

GSU EAGLES
November 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM
GSU 45 Wofford 7 -
Wofford is distracted by the Presidential debate on their campus later that evening and moved the game up to 1:00. They sent an announcement out that the parking lot must be cleared 30 minutes after the game. They are really nervous as we brought 5,000 fans to the playoff game last year. Will it be possible for all 2,500 of our 1978 Ford and Chevy pickups to fire up after a 3 hour drive from the Boro? A lot to be worried about for Wofford. How embarrasing would it be to hear a bunch of old pickups getting jumped off and backfiring during the debate? Wofford better move this game up to 11:00 or just go ahead and concede the game to be safe. Let's just say I may adjust the timing a little on old Bessie before I go into the game to make things interesting. Oh and you better pray it is above 50 degrees as anything below that she gets real fussy...... coughing, sputtering and shooting fire out her arse. It can get really loud and could start a grass fire. There will be a convoy of 70 in my group and I will be bringing my towable dunking booth as well. Only $5 dollars to get a chance at dunking me......gotta make enough for motor oil and gas to get back to the Boro. I did bring my siphon just in case. Bessie loves that 93 Octane out of one of those Wofford alum's Mercedes.

Go Eagles...Git'R Done. Oh, and one more thing. If any Wofford fans have some spare tickets for the debate, let me know. I gotta few things I need to get off my mind about that Joseph Smith fellor to Mitt Romney. I will even wear a Wofford sweater to blend in since you are hosting the debate.

ASU 55 WCU 13
Furman 31 Elon 14
The Citadel 27 Samford 21

GATA_Eagles
November 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Well I have absolutely no clue which Wofford team will show up Saturday. And everyone needs to shut up about the big 3, because it's the big 4 if anything.

I have no idea which GSU team will show up either, only time will tell. As for rankings:
1: Wofford
2: Georgia Southern
3: Furman
4: Appalachian State
5: The Citadel
6: Chattanooga
7: Samford
8: Elon
9: Western Carolina

Gaterrier
November 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
"GSU 45 Wofford 7 -
Wofford is distracted by the Presidential debate on their campus later that evening and moved the game up to 1:00. They sent an announcement out that the parking lot must be cleared 30 minutes after the game. They are really nervous as we brought 5,000 fans to the playoff game last year. Will it be possible for all 2,500 of our 1978 Ford and Chevy pickups to fire up after a 3 hour drive from the Boro? A lot to be worried about for Wofford. How embarrasing would it be to hear a bunch of old pickups getting jumped off and backfiring during the debate? Wofford better move this game up to 11:00 or just go ahead and concede the game to be safe. Let's just say I may adjust the timing a little on old Bessie before I go into the game to make things interesting. Oh and you better pray it is above 50 degrees as anything below that she gets real fussy...... coughing, sputtering and shooting fire out her arse. It can get really loud and could start a grass fire. There will be a convoy of 70 in my group and I will be bringing my towable dunking booth as well."

I don't care who you are...that's funny. Not to mention, if the GA Southern faithful bring pots and are trying to cook boiled peanuts coupled with the backfiring El Caminos, they may be mistaken for a redneck militia and cause all kinds of problems.

On a more serious note, I think a strong argument can be made that the SoCon now has the Big 4. Furman can join the party again now. The BIG 3 has been App, Wofford, and Southern for the last several years.

SC-T-Dogg
November 6th, 2011, 07:40 AM
This Big 3 thing is really out of date. ie...over a decade!

The Eagle's Cliff
November 6th, 2011, 07:50 AM
On a more serious note, I think a strong argument can be made that the SoCon now has the Big 4. Furman can join the party again now. The BIG 3 has been App, Wofford, and Southern for the last several years.

The last several years Furman and GSU have been wayyy down. GSU is on the way back and Furman has had a couple of good wins this year. Time will tell if these two teams make it back. Meanwhile, App made it to the next level with a change in offensive and recruiting philosophy and they've reaped the rewards beyond expectations and jumped over everyone. Wofford is a good solid program benefiting from one of the best coaching staffs in the country being there a long time.

The "Big 3" is always GSU, Furman, and App, but it's an expression that refers to a bygone era. The SoCon of the next few years will probably be pretty solid 1-7.

Chatty may get it together if Huesman stays there long enough. Samford and The Citadel will at least be teams that can beat you if you don't play well. The jury is out on Elon, but it doesn't look good and Western is utterly hopeless.

GSU EAGLES
November 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM
The SoCon of the next few years will probably be pretty solid 1-6.

Assuming App State and possibly GSU are still in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM
The last several years Furman and GSU have been wayyy down. GSU is on the way back and Furman has had a couple of good wins this year. Time will tell if these two teams make it back. Meanwhile, App made it to the next level with a change in offensive and recruiting philosophy and they've reaped the rewards beyond expectations and jumped over everyone. Wofford is a good solid program benefiting from one of the best coaching staffs in the country being there a long time.

The "Big 3" is always GSU, Furman, and App, but it's an expression that refers to a bygone era. The SoCon of the next few years will probably be pretty solid 1-7.

Chatty may get it together if Huesman stays there long enough. Samford and The Citadel will at least be teams that can beat you if you don't play well. The jury is out on Elon, but it doesn't look good and Western is utterly hopeless.

I'm not sold on Chatty. This was billed as their big "coming out year." Still can't beat App, still can't beat Furman, still can't beat Georgia Southern.

GaSouthern
November 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM

If WC gets a National Championship this year then i'll start calling it the Big 4, promise.

FurmanWins!!
November 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
2011 FCS Passing Efficiency Leaders:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/1005

OL FU
November 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I've looked at this scenario as well. Who gets the autobid if that happens?

I believe the first tiebreaker would be record against the other tied teams:

Wofford: 2-1
Furman: 2-1
GSU: 1-2
ASU: 1-2

Then with only 2 remaining tied teams, I believe it would go to head-to-head:

Furman beat Wofford, so the autobid goes to...... FU xeekx

that is what I thought about yesterday. Not sure if that is the way the tie breaker works. but it is certainly the only sure what that FU gets a bid. With all the optimism about 4 SoCon teams, I am very worried, even with the last three games, that FU gets left out.

Of course, lose to Elon and it matters none.

OL FU
November 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
This Big 3 thing is really out of date. ie...over a decade!

I think you are right, but more like 6 years:p

Oh wait I forget about 2003. Of Course that year it was more like the big 1

chattownmocs
November 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?id=811197&oemid=17700&SPSID=&CLIP_FILE_ID=811197&type=vod&DB_MENU_ID=&DB_OEM_ID=17700&CLIP_ID=797081&SPID=

Chattanooga at Samford extended Highlights.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm not sold on Chatty. This was billed as their big "coming out year." Still can't beat App, still can't beat Furman, still can't beat Georgia Southern.

Just because of a couple of over boisterous fans made wild claims doesn't mean that is was supposed to be a coming out year for the Mocs. Matter of fact, I stated in the pre-season that the Mocs would be much better this year, but still might finish 5-6 (I am look pretty smart on that comment)...and most knowledgeable Mocfans agreed with the assessment (and that was before BJ Coleman got injured). Smart fans knew this team would be much younger (more 70% of the team are underclassmen) than the last two and there could be growing pains.

The Mocs have played the toughest schedule in the SoCon this year with no off week for 10 games and the loss of a Payton nominee QB...they have lost to the top 4 by a total of 11 points.

Coming out year? Hardly. But with about 40% of the starters being freshmen and sophomores, I would definitely consider this year as a warning shot across the bow.

A little history refresher...

4 years ago (Allison's last year) the only team the Mocs could beat was Cumberland...and they were getting blown out by any half decent IAA program.

3 years ago (Huesman's first team), the team made it to 6-5, but they played a weak OOC (Glenville St and Prebysterian) and were still struggling against good programs (15 point loss to ASU, 35 to Elon, 18 to Furman, 10 to GSU).

Last year the Mocs again got to 6-5 with a tougher schedule, but struggled on defense and still had lopsided losses to Elon (14 points) and Wofford (31 points).

This year, so far, the Mocs record might not be any better, but they have gone toe to toe with every team they have played and had a 4th quarter chance to win every (FCS) game. And, of course, it should be pointed out this is being done with a team that is much younger than any of it predecessors.

(on a related note, in the 3 previous seasons, the Mocs gave up 30 points or more 19 times in 33 games...this year, it has given up over 30 once...and it was to Nebraska)

For the record: Next year I could see the Mocs finally getting 7 wins and maybe making the playoffs. But I think it will be 2013 before they really come into their own...their "coming out party". :)

SCPALADIN
November 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Just because of a couple of over boisterous fans made wild claims doesn't mean that is was supposed to be a coming out year for the Mocs. Matter of fact, I stated in the pre-season that the Mocs would be much better this year, but still might finish 5-6 (I am look pretty smart on that comment)...and most knowledgeable Mocfans agreed with the assessment (and that was before BJ Coleman got injured). Smart fans knew this team would be much younger (more 70% of the team are underclassmen) than the last two and there could be growing pains.

The Mocs have played the toughest schedule in the SoCon this year with no off week for 10 games and the loss of a Payton nominee QB...they have lost to the top 4 by a total of 11 points.

Coming out year? Hardly. But with about 40% of the starters being freshmen and sophomores, I would definitely consider this year as a warning shot across the bow.

4 years ago (Allison's last year) the only team the Mocs could beat was Cumberland...and they were getting blown out by any half decent IAA program.

3 years ago (Huesman's first team), the team made it to 6-5, but they played a weak OOC (Glenville St and Prebysterian) and were still struggling against good programs (15 point loss to ASU, 35 to Elon, 18 to Furman, 10 to GSU).

Last year the Mocs again got to 6-5 with a tougher schedule, but struggled on defense and still had lopsided losses to Elon (14 points) and Wofford (31 points).

This year, so far, the Mocs record might not be any better, but they have gone toe to toe with every team they have played and had a 4th quarter chance to win every (FCS) game. And, of course, it should be pointed out this is being done with a team that is much younger than any of it predecessors.

(on a related note, in the 3 previous seasons, the Mocs gave up 30 points or more 19 times in 33 games...this year, it has given up over 30 once...and it was to Nebraska)

For the record: Next year I could see the Mocs finally getting 7 wins and maybe making the playoffs. But I think it will be 2013 before they really come into their own...their "coming out party". :)

Your story has become tiresome...;)

OL FU
November 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM

I will disagree with my Paladin friend.

gasoutherneagle
November 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'd REALLY like to know if El Cid would have scored anything had MANBEARPIG played.

I-16Bandit
November 6th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'd REALLY like to know if El Cid would have scored anything had MANBEARPIG played.

Let's not go there. Don't dwell on the past. We won, move on.

CID1990
November 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Very true. You guys are much improved this year...but lets not forget...GSU had an unforced fumble in the redzone in the first half, which would have at least been a shot at a field goal attempt. Then, in the second half we fumbled the ball on the one yard line when we had a chance to go up by 9 and essentially end that game. The game certainly wasn't going to be a blowout by any means...but we had a change to wrap that thing up and we absolutely blew it. real choke job.

We basically played a very sloppy offensive game against a very solid defensive Citadel bunch (who also took care of the football) and it ALLLLLMOOOOSTTT killed us.

Hats off to you guys for gutting it out. Seems like you've been RIGHT THERE in a bunch of games this season.

Hey, you guys OWED us those fumbles, after our all time school record for fumbles in our game against you guys last year!

GSU Eagle
November 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Citadel impressed me yesterday. They played hard and on defense did a very good job. On offense Citadel is much improved over last year. They ran the option better than we did in my opinion. The 2 glaring weaknesses are 1. Kicking game and 2. Almost total lack of a pass threat. Give Citadel a decent kicker and they probably are looking at 6-3 right now rather than 4-5.

CID1990
November 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Citadel impressed me yesterday. They played hard and on defense did a very good job. On offense Citadel is much improved over last year. They ran the option better than we did in my opinion. The 2 glaring weaknesses are 1. Kicking game and 2. Almost total lack of a pass threat. Give Citadel a decent kicker and they probably are looking at 6-3 right now rather than 4-5.

We have improved over the course of the season. In the first game against Jacksonville, we played up to our potential, but then our lack of a passing threat killed us against Furman. There have been a lot of close losses this year. Next year I think the expectations will be higher. We also have a QB recruit coming in who looks like a stud and he can throw the ball (although we already have a stud at QB now... he doesn't have as much of an arm).

The bright spot is that we only need a little improvement in just a couple of spots on offense, because our defense will be stacked again next year and they will keep the scoring down (we might even find a way to figure out Wofford. They are our bugaboo.).

Now if we can find a couple receivers who can get open....

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'd really like an in-depth analysis as to how ASU/The Citadel shut down GSU's triple option

straightshooter
November 6th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I'd really like an in-depth analysis as to how ASU/The Citadel shut down GSU's triple option

It's not a secret. Stuff the dive and cover the pitch. Make the QB beat you. Now, there are times when that happens. Just as there are times when the right blocks are made on the pitch or dive and big plays happen. GSU has been nicked up a bit at A-back, especially JJ Wilcox. Had a concussion and missed the Presbyterian game. Had a knee dinged yesterday and only played a few minutes of the first quarter. Wilcox is a great blocker and has the size to run over people when given the ball. In many instances, GSU goes as he goes.

Wouldn't be surprised to see GSU throw the ball a bit more against the Terriers. Shaw has been pretty effective throwing the ball this season. He has good receivers who can get open, and my gut tells me that GSU has to keep Wofford from stacking the box like App State and Citadel did the past two weeks.

Obviously Wofford knows GSU's offense and vice versa. We're in for some smash mouth football with lots of defense on Saturday. Wouldn't be surprised to see the passing game make a big difference in the outcome. GSU throws it better than Wofford, but the Terriers always seem to get Bersin open once or twice for big gains every time they play.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
It's not a secret. Stuff the dive and cover the pitch. Make the QB beat you. Now, there are times when that happens. Just as there are times when the right blocks are made on the pitch or dive and big plays happen. GSU has been nicked up a bit at A-back, especially JJ Wilcox. Had a concussion and missed the Presbyterian game. Had a knee dinged yesterday and only played a few minutes of the first quarter. Wilcox is a great blocker and has the size to run over people when given the ball. In many instances, GSU goes as he goes.

Wouldn't be surprised to see GSU throw the ball a bit more against the Terriers. Shaw has been pretty effective throwing the ball this season. He has good receivers who can get open, and my gut tells me that GSU has to keep Wofford from stacking the box like App State and Citadel did the past two weeks.

Obviously Wofford knows GSU's offense and vice versa. We're in for some smash mouth football with lots of defense on Saturday. Wouldn't be surprised to see the passing game make a big difference in the outcome. GSU throws it better than Wofford, but the Terriers always seem to get Bersin open once or twice for big gains every time they play.

Wofford's problem has been A) an inconsistent passing game and B) the pitch game has been weak, but it's had it's bright spots and it could show Saturday. Wofford has a very aggressive front 7 as well, so it wouldn't surprise if they went for the strategy of making Jaybo beat us

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
To beat Georgia Southern you have to limit their inside game, and force Shaw to beat you with his legs. Furman tried to do that and failed. App succeeded.

Of all the options available, the one that makes GSU least dangerous is the QB keeper.

CID1990
November 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Stacking the box hurt us on you guys' very first play from scrimmage, obviously. After that, we played pretty good balanced D.

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Time to toast the little phoenix
http://s8.postimage.org/jg9escrzn/FElons.jpg

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
This weekend is gonna be crazy to see how things shake out, but I guess that is the norm in the SoCon these days :)

Smitty
November 7th, 2011, 10:09 AM
It's not a secret. Stuff the dive and cover the pitch. Make the QB beat you. Now, there are times when that happens. Just as there are times when the right blocks are made on the pitch or dive and big plays happen.

Maybe someone can teach that to Dennis Wagner...

cannonballgsu
November 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
GSU 45 Wofford 7 -
Wofford is distracted by the Presidential debate on their campus later that evening and moved the game up to 1:00. They sent an announcement out that the parking lot must be cleared 30 minutes after the game. They are really nervous as we brought 5,000 fans to the playoff game last year. Will it be possible for all 2,500 of our 1978 Ford and Chevy pickups to fire up after a 3 hour drive from the Boro? A lot to be worried about for Wofford. How embarrasing would it be to hear a bunch of old pickups getting jumped off and backfiring during the debate? Wofford better move this game up to 11:00 or just go ahead and concede the game to be safe. Let's just say I may adjust the timing a little on old Bessie before I go into the game to make things interesting. Oh and you better pray it is above 50 degrees as anything below that she gets real fussy...... coughing, sputtering and shooting fire out her arse. It can get really loud and could start a grass fire. There will be a convoy of 70 in my group and I will be bringing my towable dunking booth as well. Only $5 dollars to get a chance at dunking me......gotta make enough for motor oil and gas to get back to the Boro. I did bring my siphon just in case. Bessie loves that 93 Octane out of one of those Wofford alum's Mercedes.

Go Eagles...Git'R Done. Oh, and one more thing. If any Wofford fans have some spare tickets for the debate, let me know. I gotta few things I need to get off my mind about that Joseph Smith fellor to Mitt Romney. I will even wear a Wofford sweater to blend in since you are hosting the debate.

ASU 55 WCU 13
Furman 31 Elon 14
The Citadel 27 Samford 21

Whose turn is it to carry the jumper cables?

blueballs
November 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Straightshooter gave a pretty good breakdown but one has to remember that GSU left at least 10 points on the ground inside the Citadel's 10 yard line and had two empty trips inside App's 10 the week before.

Against the Citadel untimely penalties and the inexplicable decision of playing a kid who just came out of a hand cast at QB (you KNOW he hadn't practiced there in 5 weeks) played a part too. Ed Rhodes needs to go the way of Gerald Trexler, which is out of the SoCon and away from calling GSU games.

I fully expect Wofford to get GSU's best shot this weekend and vice versa... should be an "instant classic" along the lines of both meetings last eyar.

SpeedkingATL
November 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia Southern
3) Furman
4) Appalachian State
5) The Citadel
6) Chattanooga
7) Samford
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

Western Carolina 14 @ Appalachian State 34 - App runs Cadet on 40 consecutive dive plays in the first half just to piss off discontented App fans. Hopefully the "good" part of Team Sybil shows up at the Rock this week. The playoffs start this Saturday for App.

Elon 17 @ Furman 35 - I would have guessed 38 points for Furple but I saw their kicking game on Saturday.

Samford 14 @ The Citadel 21 - Citdogs playing pretty good football and Sammy continues to tread water for the third straight season. Citdogs block a punt for a TD late in the 4th quarter to win.

Georgia Southern 28 @ Wofford 31 - Terriers takedown the Eagles at home in spite of large number of loud, drunk Eagle fans in stadium.

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 10:43 AM
SoCon Players of the Week:

Offense- Chris Forcier
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205329162&DB_OEM_ID=4000

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM

Offense- Chris Forcier
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205329162&DB_OEM_ID=4000

13 play drive consuming 7:30. That's how you put a team away right there. So much different than the Lamb years when you had to hold onto your seat until the clock hit 0:00 regardless of how far ahead a team was.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 2011 I think the only time Furman has relinquished a lead was against UTC, and that was only for about two minutes.

Woof
November 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Offense- Chris Forcier

....Barneys have Mike Ayers to thank for that award.....Any one of Wofford's backs (or fans for that matter) could have put up ridiculous numbers had they played more than a half. Even though it makes me throw up in my mouth to say it: I'm glad you won though, sort of.

appfan2008
November 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Wofford
Furman
GSU
ASU
Chattanooga
Citadel
Samford
Elon
WCU

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
....Barneys have Mike Ayers to thank for that award.....Any one of Wofford's backs (or fans for that matter) could have put up ridiculous numbers had they played more than a half. Even though it makes me throw up in my mouth to say it: I'm glad you won though, sort of.

With a nice performance against Eloan this Saturday Forcier will wrap up this seasons All SoCon QB award in style! :)

ElonPride
November 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm going out on a limb this week. Elon finally puts it together for 4 full quarters and spoils Furman's playoff hopes. xthumbsupx

I-16Bandit
November 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Wofford
Furman
GSU
ASU
Chattanooga
Citadel
Samford
Elon
WCU

Umm. I know that they are on a roll now and you are probably mad that they beat you, but let me remind you of our game with Furman: 50-20, EAGLES.

SpeedkingATL
November 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I'm going out on a limb this week. Elon finally puts it together for 4 full quarters and spoils Furman's playoff hopes. xthumbsupx

Elon has the chance to play the spoiler against both Furple and App (@ home). Just hope they don't put it all together until 2012.

kdinva
November 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Western Carolina @ Appalachian State
Elon @ Furman
Samford @ The Citadel
Georgia Southern @ Wofford

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Hope not :)

cbarrier90
November 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Umm. I know that they are on a roll now and you are probably mad that they beat you, but let me remind you of our game with Furman: 50-20, EAGLES.

Valid point, but in the three weeks since that game was played, Furman has been on fire while GSU barely beat a non-contender at home. Were the two teams to play again this coming week, the comparison of the two results would be night and day.

Mountaineer#96
November 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
ASU 62 / WCU 7 (Jug stays, Western coach goes)
FU 28 / Elon 13
El Cid 31 / Samford 17
WC 28 / GSU 24

UTC = L

GSU Eagle
November 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Seems most fans of other SoCon schools are not giving the Eagles much chance vs. Wofford Saturday.

It should be a great game that goes down to the last 5 minutes. Most GSU-Wofford games of late have been very close.

Sir William
November 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Bring it.

whoanellie
November 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Having had a that precious "bye" week to heal up and re-tool I feel Elon has the tools to play the last two games with enough
incentive to win and right the season. I'll be the first to admit We have a lot of self inflicted wounds that are unaccptable against top flight competition as our conference peers have shown.
We do have a solid core of tough football players so we shall see. staying positive.
Elon has the chance to play the spoiler against both Furple and App (@ home). Just hope they don't put it all together until 2012.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Bring it.

Furman should be heavily favored, but that and five cents buys you nothing.

Elon needs to have someone step up in this game. Furman will undoubtedly put Steed on Mallette and try to take him out of the game. Elon will have to beat Furman with someone else.

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Having had a that precious "bye" week to heal up and re-tool I feel Elon has the tools to play the last two games with enough
incentive to win and right the season. I'll be the first to admit We have a lot of self inflicted wounds that are unaccptable against top flight competition as our conference peers have shown.
We do have a solid core of tough football players so we shall see. staying positive.

I don't care how it plays out, as long as FU beats Eloan by 1 point I will be dancing in the streets!!!

FurmanWins!!
November 8th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Furman No. 8 In FCS Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Shawn Boone
GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The Furman Paladins climbed seven spots to eighth in this week's Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and top indicator of at-large playoff selection.

Furman's advance in the GPI, which followed Saturday's 20-10 takedown of Appalachian State, was the biggest of any ranked team. The Paladins have been ranked in the GPI for six consecutive weeks.

The Southern Conference, Missouri Valley Football Conference, and Colonial Athletic Association have five teams each in the Top 25; the Big Sky Conference has three; the Great West and the Southland Conferences plus the Ivy League have two each; and the Patriot League has one.

As conference average rankings the Southern Conference stays at No. 1 followed by the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

FurmanWins!!
November 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
This will be the main dude for Elon that we need to shut down on Saturday:
(Aaron Mellette)
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/fcsawards/file.aspx?p=pa,f=93040

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
This will be the main dude for Elon that we need to shut down on Saturday:
(Aaron Mellette)
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/fcsawards/file.aspx?p=pa,f=93040

I like our chances. Particularly because of Ryan Steed.

Steed has had duty on two of the conferences top offensive players the past two weeks. He shut out UTC's Bradford with zero catches. App State's Quick was almost as ineffective. I imagine Mellette will be looking across the line at #1 all afternoon, and Elon will have to find someone else to go to.

fc97
November 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
elon has other targets

mellette will get his 100 or more

wilson will turn it over 2 to 4 times in the process

game over elon

hoping for a better outcome

asumike83
November 8th, 2011, 09:58 AM
1/1A) Wofford/GSU: The top 2 teams in the conference, de facto title game this Saturday will determine the top spot.
3/3A) ASU/Furman: Will likely end with identical 6-2 conference records. FU has the head to head in Greenville, ASU will likely end with a better overall record.
5) Chattanooga
6) Samford
7) The Citadel
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

FurmanWins!!
November 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Steed has had duty on two of the conferences top offensive players the past two weeks. He shut out UTC's Bradford with zero catches. App State's Quick was almost as ineffective. I imagine Mellette will be looking across the line at #1 all afternoon, and Elon will have to find someone else to go to.

I hope you are right, looking forward to getting the W against Elon if we can pull it out, then we can discuss who Steed is going to be shutting down for the Florida Gators the next week haha :)

FurmanWins!!
November 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
SoCon Football Weekly Coaches Teleconference - Week 11

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205252349&DB_OEM_ID=4000

GSUhooligan
November 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
If I was a fan of an OOC team looking at the SoCon in order of teams I would least like to play RIGHT NOW it would be:\

1. Furman
2. Wofford
3. Appy
4. GSU
5. UT-C
6. Citadel
7. Samford
8. Elon
9. Western

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM
If I was a fan of an OOC team looking at the SoCon in order of teams I would least like to play RIGHT NOW it would be:\

1. Furman
2. Wofford
3. Appy
4. GSU
5. UT-C
6. Citadel
7. Samford
8. Elon
9. Western

I don't know. I'd still put GSU first on that list, merely because other non-conference opponents never see the option. You have to remember the SoCon schools see that offense a handful of times each season now a days.

Furman has been a tough cookie the past few weeks, but our kicking game is going to derail us soon enough. We simply cannot afford to continue to dodge the bullet of missing extra points and chip shot field goals.

fc97
November 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM
wilson is a threat, he can be good if he could control turnovers

mellete isn't his only target

youwouldno
November 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I mean GSU and Wofford are teams with option offenses and very good defenses. That's a scary combination for teams that don't have experience against the TO. But certainly App St and Furman are very dangerous as well. One thing that stands out to me is that all four are very well coached- something that can vary a bit at the FCS level.

phoenix3
November 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Bring it.

Apphole
November 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM
1. App/GaSo/Wofford/Furman

2. Citadel/Samford/UTC/Elon

3. ___________

4. ___________

98,867. WCU

OL FU
November 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Bring it.

Don't know how everyone else feels but I am extremely hopeful our players realize they are in for a fight. Otherwise (and maybe even then) all this optimism will be a waste of time.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Don't know how everyone else feels but I am extremely hopeful our players realize they are in for a fight. Otherwise (and maybe even then) all this optimism will be a waste of time.

I can't imagine our guys getting up for Wofford, then UTC, then App State, and then laying down against Elon.

Elon has enough talent to make it a long afternoon a la Samford. Furman needs to come out and play the same type of physical football they've played the past few weeks.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I can't imagine our guys getting up for Wofford, then UTC, then App State, and then laying down against Elon.

Elon has enough talent to make it a long afternoon a la Samford. Furman needs to come out and play the same type of physical football they've played the past few weeks.

Elon has the worst turnover margin in the FCS and they have absolutely no running game. This game has ugly written all over it. At this point I'd say Furman has an even better chance of reaching 7 DI wins than Wofford does, who has to win just 1 of the next 2.

asumike83
November 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Elon has the worst turnover margin in the FCS and they have absolutely no running game. This game has ugly written all over it. At this point I'd say Furman has an even better chance of reaching 7 DI wins than Wofford does, who has to win just 1 of the next 2.

After Wofford eliminated UTC from playoff contention in the last week of 2010, wouldn't it be something if they returned the favor this year?

I don't see it happening but that would be pretty wild. Oh, the perils of putting a D-II on the schedule...

youwouldno
November 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM

I agree. Massey- which has Wofford rated #5- puts their chances of losing both at 19%. Furman is given a 95% chance against Elon. The key aspect is really UTC- will Coleman play, and will they be really motivated.

asumike83
November 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM

To be clear, I think Furman wins the game and does so fairly easily. However, it is a little easier to get up for nationally ranked teams than it is for one of the bottom teams in the conference. Plus, Furman was really facing no expectations in any of those games, where as now they are the clear favorite, EXPECTED to win this game and head to the postseason. One of those two factors could trip them up, but I really do not see it happening.

GaSouthern
November 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Thats a good point and I agree.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
After Wofford eliminated UTC from playoff contention in the last week of 2010, wouldn't it be something if they returned the favor this year?

I don't see it happening but that would be pretty wild. Oh, the perils of putting a D-II on the schedule...

I honestly doubt they will though

chattanoogamocs
November 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I agree. Massey- which has Wofford rated #5- puts their chances of losing both at 19%. Furman is given a 95% chance against Elon. The key aspect is really UTC- will Coleman play, and will they be really motivated.

Coleman will play. And why wouldn't they be motivated? A chance to beat a team that absolutely embarrassed them last season? This is their playoff for 2011, they'll leave it all on the field. Does that mean they'll win? No clue...but after watching their gritty performance last week at Samford (a game they could have easily just mailed in with a 3rd string QB), I have no doubt they are still motivated to finish 2011 on a high note.

youwouldno
November 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Coleman will play. And why wouldn't they be motivated? A chance to beat a team that absolutely embarrassed them last season? This is their playoff for 2011, they'll leave it all on the field. Does that mean they'll win? No clue...but after watching their gritty performance last week at Samford (a game they could have easily just mailed in with a 3rd string QB), I have no doubt they are still motivated to finish 2011 on a high note.

Well I'm sure the Mocs will be motivated but Wofford will have a lot to play for- either a playoff bid (if they lose to GSU) or a seed (if they beat GSU). I do like UTC's chances though if Coleman is able to play effectively.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM

I can see this game one of two ways. I can see Furman's offense failing to click, and firing one round into our foot after another just like we did against Samford and coming up short. I can also see a scenario where Furman blows this game open, scores quickly and keeps forcing turnovers.

phoenix3
November 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Honestly, I don't expect us to pull this one off, although I'm hopeful. I've been saying this all year, no turnovers = we're dangerous, certainly ont of the top 5 teams in the SoCon. With turnovers, we can gain yards and and play decent D, but we can't score or prevent scoring on a short field. So far this year, I have seen no evidence of our ability to prevent turnovers, especially interceptions. I do, however, expect Mellette to have his typical game. With all due respect to Mr. Steed.

gsueagle2424
November 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Honestly, I don't expect us to pull this one off, although I'm hopeful. I've been saying this all year, no turnovers = we're dangerous, certainly ont of the top 5 teams in the SoCon. With turnovers, we can gain yards and and play decent D, but we can't score or prevent scoring on a short field. So far this year, I have seen no evidence of our ability to prevent turnovers, especially interceptions. I do, however, expect Mellette to have his typical game. With all due respect to Mr. Steed.

Not a single person has picked GSU. Interesting.

GSU-27
Wofford - 23

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Honestly, I don't expect us to pull this one off, although I'm hopeful. I've been saying this all year, no turnovers = we're dangerous. With turnovers, we can gain yards and and play decent D, but we can't score or prevent scoring on a short field. So far this year, I have seen no evidence of our ability to prevent turnovers, especially interceptions. I do, however, expect Mellette to have his typical game. With all due respect to Mr. Steed.

I certainly think Elon can create matchup problems, particularly because their biggest issue appears to be coughing the ball up. Makes you wonder how good they would be if they would play turnover free.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Not a single person has picked GSU. Interesting.

GSU-27
Wofford - 23

This will be a fullback kind of game. I don't think Wofford is going to let GSU just play pitch and catch, so Robert Brown needs to put his game shoes on. Georgia Southern has to be able to stop #7. As he goes, Wofford's offense goes.

asumike83
November 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Western Carolina 17 @ Appalachian State 49
Elon 10 @ Furman 28
Samford 21 @ The Citadel 24
Georgia Southern 24 @ Wofford 21

eaglewraith
November 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
This will be a fullback kind of game. I don't think Wofford is going to let GSU just play pitch and catch, so Robert Brown needs to put his game shoes on. Georgia Southern has to be able to stop #7. As he goes, Wofford's offense goes.

The thing about that which makes me feel better is that no one has really been able to run up the middle against us...except Citadel when we were missing Russell. He's back this week after having to watch the game from the sideline isolated from his teammates and watching his fellow DL give up those yards in the middle. I have a feeling he's going to want to correct that.

Blue Eagle
November 8th, 2011, 11:10 PM
The Citadel really impressed me against Ga. Southern. The Dogs have become a very competitive SoCon team.

I think the Eagles offense get its confidence back and wins by 14 over a very good Wofford team!

GO EAGLES
"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Southern Pigskin Week Eleven SoCon Power Poll:

http://www.Southernpigskin.com/SOCON/view/steaknshake-socon-power-poll

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 04:58 AM
(Facebook Event Page)

#17 Furman vs Elon, Must Win!
http://www.Facebook.com/event.php?eid=288518377838126

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 07:15 AM
FYI, Furman is shooting to make this run a 4 game winning streak this Saturday for the first time since 2005 :)

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
FYI, Furman is shooting to make this run a 4 game winning streak this Saturday for the first time since 2005 :)

2005 was a good vintage.

I'm going to be majorily annoyed if Elon upsets our apple cart.

ElonPride
November 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I certainly think Elon can create matchup problems, particularly because their biggest issue appears to be coughing the ball up. Makes you wonder how good they would be if they would play turnover free.

Turnover free ball. We've been harping on that one since NCCU. You read comments on the Elon board and it sounds like a broken record.

Agree with phoenix3, if this team corrects the turnover issue, they're dangerous. That means playing a full 4 quarters of ball. Thomas Wilson is a capable QB and sure can sling it, but 18 INTs to 17 TDS thrown is horrendous. I have faith in this young man's ability, so I still say Elon pulls it out this weekend.

Funny thing is, out of all the teams in the SoCon, Furman is the team I mind losing to the least.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Turnover free ball. We've been harping on that one since NCCU. You read comments on the Elon board and it sounds like a broken record.

Agree with phoenix3, if this team corrects the turnover issue, they're dangerous. That means playing a full 4 quarters of ball. Thomas Wilson is a capable QB and sure can sling it, but 18 INTs to 17 TDS thrown is horrendous. I have faith in this young man's ability, so I still say Elon pulls it out this weekend.

Funny thing is, out of all the teams in the SoCon, Furman is the team I mind losing to the least.

Yup. As a Furman fan, I think Elon and Samford have a tie for teams our fan base cares the least about.

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Yup. As a Furman fan, I think Elon and Samford have a tie for teams our fan base cares the least about.

Agree, but it still sucks when we lose to those teams with such small fan bases, ie. Elon & Samford.

SpeedkingATL
November 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
2005 was a good vintage.

I'm going to be majorily annoyed if Elon upsets our apple cart.

Would love to see a repeat of the 05 season with App winning rematch over Furple and a win over Northern Iowa in the NC game. Keep that thought!

OL FU
November 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Would love to see a repeat of the 05 season with App winning rematch over Furple and a win over Northern Iowa in the NC game. Keep that thought!

Shut yo mouth tooxlolx

OL FU
November 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Not for reasons of long term rivalry etc, but right now the Samford loss pisses me off pretty badly. Without that one we are 6-1 in the conference.

Woof
November 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Not for reasons of long term rivalry etc, but right now the Samford loss pisses me off pretty badly. Without that one we are 6-1 in the conference.

OL FU, we've got a loss like that which still sticks in my craw, too. Ugh. Of all the games to lay an egg in...it had to be the Barneys?

ElonPride
November 9th, 2011, 09:42 AM

That's not what I was inferring.....

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM

What did you mean then?

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Phoenix Football Team Visits No. 17 Furman in Final Road Contest of 2011
(From Elon Athletics website) Read on:
http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2011/11/9/FB_1109114126.aspx
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5176172707_6be8461fe7.jpg

OL FU
November 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM

I didn't think so. I rather took it as a compliment. That we really haven't done anything to piss you off. Or it could be that you have beat us three years in a row so.................

OL FU
November 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM
OL FU, we've got a loss like that which still sticks in my craw, too. Ugh. Of all the games to lay an egg in...it had to be the Barneys?

Yeah I know but here is the difference. Consider the way we are playing versus the way Samford is playing. Losing to us makes a little sense. Losing to Samford, after the last three weeks of our play compared to theirs, doesn't.

ElonPride
November 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I didn't think so. I rather took it as a compliment. That we really haven't done anything to piss you off. Or it could be that you have beat us three years in a row so.................

It was a compliment.

If we had to lose (which we've done a lot this season), I would rather it be to Furman than any other team in the SoCon. I had a friend who was a grad assistant trainer at Furman (he was an Elon grad). After getting torn to pieces by you guys a few years back, he gave us a tour of your facilities. We had a chance to meet a couple players, I believe Louis Ivory was one of those. Even though my brother and I were decked in Elon gear, all of the players we met were respectful....shook our hands, welcomed us to your campus, etc. Very classy guys. Since then, Furman has been my #2 team in FCS when they're not playing Elon.

youwouldno
November 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah I know but here is the difference. Consider the way we are playing versus the way Samford is playing. Losing to us makes a little sense. Losing to Samford, after the last three weeks of our play compared to theirs, doesn't.

The Paladins just weren't the same team at that point in the season. It's like a switch turned on before the Wofford game... Fowler has been asked about it but I don't think there's any easy explanation. Hopefully the Paladins keep playing well and don't look back.

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-2Z8uQ4BE

FurmanWins!!
November 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
"Message from Furman University President"
Dear Students:

I am writing to thank you for the strong turnouts this fall at so many of our academic, arts, and athletic venues. It is no secret that I am a strong champion of encouraging participation at these events, as we show support for one another and enjoy spirited good times.

I am writing today to especially encourage you to turn out en masse for the final home football game of the year, against Elon, this Saturday at 1:30. I am sure all your fellow students who participate-- the members of the Paladin Regiment Marching Band, the members of the Furman Dance Company, our ROTC students, our Cheerleaders, our many students who help with support, our students journalists from the The Paladin, and of course, the students on our Football Team, who have overcome adversity to climb this week to #17 in the nation in a national poll--will welcome a packed house, and a rocking house. With a victory our team will have a fighting chance to make the playoffs in football. Let's all rally to try to help send them on. As I 've said before to you, these exhortations on my part are all about building community and spirit here at Furman. I hope to see you there!

Rod Smolla
President

Student created Facebook Event page:
http://www.Facebook.com/event.php?eid=288518377838126

alvinkayak6
November 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM

If we can install even the most basic passing game next year, we will be a contender. Heck, i am still thinking that we have a shot at sneaking up on the Coots in two weeks. Would love to see the Ol Ball Coach throw his visor a few times.

Wofford 28 GSU 17
ASU 54 WCU 10
Furple 35 Elon 9
The Citadel 27 Samford 12 (we block one punt in this game to tie the NCAA season record)

I'm assuming you mean placekicker as Cass Couey is one of the nation's finest punters.

alvinkayak6
November 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Phoenix Football Team Visits No. 17 Furman in Final Road Contest of 2011
(From Elon Athletics website) Read on:
http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2011/11/9/FB_1109114126.aspx
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5176172707_6be8461fe7.jpg

Aaron Mellette is going to need another Vandy game, else this become a Furman route.

FurmanWins!!
November 10th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Furman vs. Elon (Facebook Gameday Preview Video)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150391861607728&set=vb.287438602096&type=2&theater

FurmanWins!!
November 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Via Sportsnetwork.com:

Elon Phoenix (4-5, 2-4 SoCon) at No. 17 Furman Paladins (6-3, 5-2), 1:30 p.m.

Series record: Furman leads, 10-4

Last meeting: at Elon 30, Furman 25 (Nov. 13, 2010)

What to know: Furman has been one of the hottest teams in the country the past three weeks. After a bad, 50-20 loss to then top-ranked Georgia Southern, the Paladins have won three straight, including victories against Wofford (26-21) and Appalachian State (20-10). Another victory should get the Paladins an at- large playoff berth.

Furman quarterback Chris Forcier has been the most efficient passer in the FCS ( 183.8 ), completing 67 percent (116 of 172) of his passes for 1,755 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Forcier's opposite number, Elon quarterback Thomas Wilson, also has been a threat this season, passing for 2,434 yards and 17 touchdowns. However, Wilson has struggled with interceptions, tossing a FCS-high 18.

Prediction: Furman 35, Elon 28

No. 4 Georgia Southern Eagles (8-1, 6-1 SoCon) at No. 9 Wofford Terriers (7-2, 5-1), 1:30 p.m.

Series record: Georgia Southern leads, 9-6

Last meeting: Georgia Southern 23, at Wofford 20 (Dec. 11, 2010)

What to know: The Eagles and Terriers met twice last season in a pair of close, hard-fought battles. Wofford won the regular season meeting, 33-31, while Georgia Southern picked up a playoff win, 23-20 in the national quarterfinals.

A game which could escalate the rivalry as the winner on Saturday will more than likely win the SoCon (Georgia Southern can clinch, Wofford has one more game).

Both known for running the option, Georgia Southern and Wofford are the best two rushing attacks in the country. Wofford leads the nation in rushing yards (374.2 ypg) and total offense (456.8 ypg), while Georgia Southern's rushing attack (323.8 ypg) also mixes in the passing attack to catch opponents off guard.

Prediction: Wofford 28, Georgia Southern 24

Western Carolina Catamounts (1-8, 0-7 SoCon) at No. 10 Appalachian State Mountaineers (6-3, 4-2), 3:30 p.m.

Series record: Appalachian State leads, 56-18-1

Last meeting: Appalachian State 37, at Western Carolina 14 (Oct. 23, 2010)

What to know: The "Battle for the Old Mountain Jug" may be a rivalry by name, but it has been dominated by Mountaineers. Western Carolina hasn't won since 2004 and has lost 24 of the last 26 meetings.

Western Carolina coach Dennis Wagner was in Iowa earlier this week to mourn the death of his father-in-law. During his absence, the staff worked as a unit to fill the void, but interim assistant coach Mark Rhea served as the figure head and made Wagner's weekly appearances with the media.

After a big win against then-No. 1 Georgia Southern, Appalachian State was cut down by Furman, 20-10, last week. In the loss, the Mountaineers struggled in the red zone and with turnovers, something they should fix against Western Carolina's porous defense (506.8 ypg).

Prediction: Appalachian State 31, Western Carolina 13

Smitty
November 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Wow they were gentle with the ASU vs WCU prediction

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Wow they were gentle with the ASU vs WCU prediction

Look at the scores the last 2 years. WCU has shown some fight in the ASU games that doesn't appear in there other SoCon games; gotta give the Kitties credit for that.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
The FCS leader in interceptions throwing to the SoCon's best turnover margin. Yikes.

FurmanWins!!
November 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
SoCon Football Game Day: Week 11

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205251562&DB_OEM_ID=4000

FurmanWins!!
November 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Furman Takes Aim At FCS Playoff Berth Saturday Versus Elon
Depth Chart:
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/2011_Furman_Football_Game_Notes_-_Stats.pdf

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Winners of three straight, including a 20-10 triumph over previously third-ranked Appalachian State last Saturday, the Furman Paladins are positioned to secure a bid to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoffs, but one big challenge remains in the form of the Elon Phoenix, which Furman will entertain this Saturday in the Paladins' home regular season finale. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. at Paladin Stadium.

The contest will be broadcast over Furman Sports Network Greenville flagship station WOLT-FM 103.3, Upstate affiliate WGOG-FM 96.3, as well as stadium transmitter at FM 105.9. Audio will be presented online by StretchAudio through Furman All-Access at www.furmanpaladins.com. Live stats will also be provided through www.furmanpaladins.com and in-game twitter updates available at twitter.com/FurmanPaladins

Furman (6-3, 5-2 SoCon), ranked 17th in the latest Sports Network Poll, must defeat Elon (4-5, 2-4 SoCon) to nail down at least a second place finish in the SoCon and reach the seven-win NCAA Division I threshold that is required to qualify for playoff consideration. With a victory over Elon the Paladins, who are No. 8 in this week's FCS Gridiron Power Index (GPI), could also remain in the hunt for a share of this year's league crown, though for that to happen Wofford (5-1 SoCon) must defeat Georgia Southern (6-1 SoCon) on Saturday in Spartanburg, and the Terriers would then have to lose at Chattanooga on Nov. 19. Furman will conclude its regular season on Nov. 19 against Florida.

Consecutive wins over fourth-ranked Wofford (26-21), Chattanooga (14-7), and third-ranked Appalachian State (20-10) have made Furman one of the hottest teams in the FCS. First-year head coach Bruce Fowler's Paladins, tagged sixth in a preseason poll of SoCon head coaches, stood 3-3 on Oct. 15 before going on its impressive run that includes victories over two FCS Top 5 opponents. Furman's six victories marks improvement over last year's 5-6 finish, and the Paladins' 5-2 SoCon mark represents a significant jump from 2010's 3-5 league record.

Elon comes to Greenville with recent series history on its side, having beaten Furman three straight times, including a 30-25 triumph last year in Elon. Two years ago the Phoenix clipped the Paladins in Greenville, 19-12. Furman's last win in the series was a 52-49 shootout in Paladin Stadium in 2007. The Paladins own a 10-4 series advantage and are 8-2 all-time versus the Phoenix in Paladin Stadium.

Elon was idle last Saturday after dropping a 48-28 road decision to Wofford on Oct. 29.

With a playoff berth clearly hanging in the balance, Furman should have no trouble focusing on Saturday's game and trying to continue its late season surge. In knocking off Appalachian State last Saturday, Furman halted a nasty six-game series skid to the Mountaineers and, as an unranked team, took down its second highest ranked foe in program history.

A quick start, which included a pair of Chris Forcier touchdown strikes covering 4 and 79 yards, helped give Furman a 20-0 first half lead, which the Paladins were able to preserve with a defense that forced four Mountaineer turnovers and an effective fourth quarter running game that denied ASU the ball and time to mount any comeback.

Forcier, who continues to lead the FCS in passing efficiency (183.8 rating), has thrown 19 touchdown passes this year, but it was his fourth quarter running ability against ASU, which included third down dashes of 13 and 12 yards for first downs, part of a 13-play, 68-yard drive, that helped close out the Mountaineers. On the season Forcier, a three-time SoCon Offensive Player of the Week honoree, has passed for 1,755 yards and run for 223 yards.

Forcier's top receiving targets include the SoCon's top tight end, Colin Anderson (32 rec., 536 yds., 6 TDs) and wide receivers Tyler Maples (30 rec., 491 yds., 3 TDs) and Sedrrik Cunningham (16 rec., 293 yds., 3 TDs), who connected with Forcier on the 79-yard scoring strike versus Appalachian State.

Junior running back Jerodis Williams (166 att., 886 yds., 7 TDs), the SoCon's second leading rusher, leads an effective Paladin ground attack. He is bidding to become the first Paladin 1,000-yard rusher since 2003.

Furman's defense has played a significant role in the Paladins' current three-game winning streak, helping record a 10-2 advantage in turnovers with six interceptions and four fumble recoveries. Furman, which leads the SoCon in turnover margin (+1.11), also hasn't allowed a touchdown pass while notching 11 sacks during that span to up its season tally to 21. Last year the Paladins tallied a SoCon worst nine sacks.

The defensive stalwarts include senior linebacker Kadarron Anderson (SoCon leading 103 tackles), junior bandit Mitch McGrath (75 tackles, 12 tackles for-loss, 4 sacks, 4 INT), and senior cornerback Ryan Steed, who has recorded interceptions in each of the last three games to up his career total to 13.

Saturday's game will also mark the final regular season home game for 20 Paladin seniors, who will honored in pregame ceremonies.
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/photos/0009/AndersonK2011Wofford1_thumb_thumb.jpg?max_width=25 0

ElonPride
November 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Wow, that's 20 seniors that COULD go their entire collegiate career to never have beaten Elon. :)

FurmanWins!!
November 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
FU vs. Elon (Gameday Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58C4bueHH4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58C4bueHH4k

AndrewFU21
November 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Okay, so I've looked all over the SoCon's website to try to find out the tie-breaking procedures, and I'm convinced it's not on there. Here's my line of reasoning:

If Wofford beats GSU and loses to UTC, and if ASU and FU win out, we'll have a 4-way tie at 6-2. Since GSU and ASU would be 1-2 head-to-head, and FU and Wofford would be 2-1, it comes down to FU and Wofford; since FU beat Wofford, FU would get the AQ.

Does anyone know if this is actually the way it happens? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

eaglewraith
November 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Okay, so I've looked all over the SoCon's website to try to find out the tie-breaking procedures, and I'm convinced it's not on there. Here's my line of reasoning:

If Wofford beats GSU and loses to UTC, and if ASU and FU win out, we'll have a 4-way tie at 6-2. Since GSU and ASU would be 1-2 head-to-head, and FU and Wofford would be 2-1, it comes down to FU and Wofford; since FU beat Wofford, FU would get the AQ.

Does anyone know if this is actually the way it happens? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

As has been said a couple of times on this forum this week, this is correct.

AndrewFU21
November 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Okay, here's something from the Winston-Salem Journal, but it doesn't cite the rules specifically. http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/app_trail/

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Correct. To win the autobid, Furman will need Wofford to beat GSU and then Wofford lost to UTC (neither of which seems completely the thing of fantasy).

What I am more interested in is a potential tie for second. If three teams are tied for second at 6-2, would Furman be "first" among those teams by virtue of beating the other two? Does that matter when it comes down to playoff selection?

asumike83
November 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Correct. To win the autobid, Furman will need Wofford to beat GSU and then Wofford lost to UTC (neither of which seems completely the thing of fantasy).

What I am more interested in is a potential tie for second. If three teams are tied for second at 6-2, would Furman be "first" among those teams by virtue of beating the other two? Does that matter when it comes down to playoff selection?

I don't think the tie for 2nd would come into play as far as playoff consideration goes. Realistically, I think that all 4 teams would get a bid in that situation and none of the 3 tied for 2nd would receive a seed. In terms of the rankings and who would get a possible week off, I would think the rankings of the 3 2nd place teams would be Wofford, ASU and Furman in that order. Wofford would likely be one of the 'Top 12' and get a bye while FU and ASU may have to play on Thanksgiving weekend. Even though it has no effect on how the team is currently playing, that loss to Coastal could cost FU a week off. Who knows though, a lot of things have to happen before any of this comes into question.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Not alot went right for Chattanooga in 2010. Going 0-4 in games decided by one possession. But make no mistake about it, they are a quality team that will return 9 starters on both sides of the ball. The tide will turn sooner or later in close games. Or mabe more likely the Mocs will be so dominant that they dont have to play many close games.

biggie
November 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
FWIW, more than 2 tied at 1st place is a coin flip the last I remember. No a tie for 2nd really wouldn't matter.

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Not alot went right for Chattanooga in 2010. Going 0-4 in games decided by one possession. But make no mistake about it, they are a quality team that will return 9 starters on both sides of the ball. The tide will turn sooner or later in close games. Or mabe more likely the Mocs will be so dominant that they dont have to play many close games.

Preach man. No doubt the dominance of UTC is at hand.

blueballs
November 10th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Wish in one hand and s--t in the other and see which one fills up first...

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I didnt wish for anything. I maid a firm prediction based on facts.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Yes, we all remember the firm predictions from earlier this fall. None of them came true.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, we all remember the firm predictions from earlier this fall. None of them came true.

Yeah Chattanooga has sucked so bad this year. I just wish they were a competitive team. But hey, like manbearpig said.

Eaglesrus
November 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM

And I believe they were based on similar facts.

gasoutherneagle
November 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM

YEAH... YOU REALLY "CLEANED-UP" ON THOSE PREDICTIONS! HEY-OH!!!!xbowx

eaglewraith
November 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
FWIW, more than 2 tied at 1st place is a coin flip the last I remember. No a tie for 2nd really wouldn't matter.

First tie breaker is head to head in the tie. If it's even all the way around, I think it goes to record outside of the tie breaker. After that may be the coin flip.

CID1990
November 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Yes, UTC is on the cusp of a breakthrough. Maybe next year we should just give you guys the SoCon title first and let you sit out the regular season while the rest of us scrap for the at large.

AndrewFU21
November 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Well, second place is second place. The only reason they break a tie for first is to determine the AQ- both teams are technically champions. I don't think the "ranking" of second place teams would matter much, if at all. I think a 4-loss FU would come behind a 3-loss Wofford and ASU as far as playoff selection.

apaladin
November 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well, second place is second place. The only reason they break a tie for first is to determine the AQ- both teams are technically champions. I don't think the "ranking" of second place teams would matter much, if at all. I think a 4-loss FU would come behind a 3-loss Wofford and ASU as far as playoff selection.

Like Coach Fowler said when asked about making the playoffs at 7-4. "I think we've only lost 3 games". Gotta love that,

SCPALADIN
November 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I think it is more an issue of wins than it is losses. Wofford (if they lose to GSU) would have 8 total wins but only 7 against D-I opponents.

FurmanWins!!
November 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Like Coach Fowler said when asked about making the playoffs at 7-4. "I think we've only lost 3 games". Gotta love that,

Love that statement by our coach indeed!!!

seantaylor
November 11th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Yeah Chattanooga has sucked so bad this year. I just wish they were a competitive team. But hey, like manbearpig said.

Best 5 loss team in the world. When will they make the playoffs again? LOL

FurmanWins!!
November 11th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Getting close to about 24 hours until kickoff, how about one more time for the good folks of AGS:

FU All The Time!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uu-1GPuKbQ

StorminASU
November 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Getting close to about 24 hours until kickoff, how about one more time for the good folks of AGS:

FU All The Time!!!!

Seriously? Can't we let it go already? I'm tired of seeing this stuff, haha. I guess I would be excited too if we beat a team we hadn't beaten in six years. You're making me really hate the fact we have a losing record against you guys.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Seddrick Cunningham is still wide open.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Seriously? Can't we let it go already? I'm tired of seeing this stuff, haha. I guess I would be excited too if we beat a team we hadn't beaten in six years. You're making me really hate the fact we have a losing record against you guys.

But it's too much fun! :)

Has it really been six years? Good grief.

StorminASU
November 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM
But it's too much fun! :)

Has it really been six years? Good grief.

I think I counted correctly, but you know that public education, haha.

asumike83
November 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I think I counted correctly, but you know that public education, haha.

Let's see, 2005... carry the one, yep. Six years.

Enjoy it Furmies, I'll see you at The Rock!

Mountaineer#96
November 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM

^ at least there we know we got it in the bag.......

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Really is a testament to how Furman dominated this series for a long time if App can win, what, 9 of the last 11 or some such and still trail by four or five games all time.

asumike83
November 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Really is a testament to how Furman dominated this series for a long time if App can win, what, 9 of the last 11 or some such and still trail by four or five games all time.

Oh yeah, the 80's and 90's were quite ugly for us in the series. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe y'all now have a 22-17-1 lead, which means it would have been 20-8-1 before this recent stretch.

LarryBoy
November 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM

We've learned now to not take anything for granted. Who knows for how long we'll have to hang our hats on that win?

But, I've got to tell you, I've get a good bit more confidence going forward with Coach Fowler at the helm. No offense, Bobby.

FurmanWins!!
November 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Ex-UCLA QB Forcier Leading Furman Turnover
By Pete Iacobelli, AP Sports Writer

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman quarterback Chris Forcier has rediscovered his game in a most unlikely place.

The UCLA transfer has persevered through a shoulder injury, a coaching change and the kind of anxiety that comes from not knowing where you stand in a program. But the former highly rated high school quarterback has fought through it all in a turnaround season for himself and the Paladins.

Forcier, the older brother of ex-Michigan quarterback Tate Forcier, leads the Football Championship Subdivision in pass efficiency. He's also helped Furman upset last year's Southern Conference co-champions Wofford and Appalachian State in the past three weeks.

"I wasn't going to quit," Chris said.

Although few would blame him if he did.

Chris threw for 5,241 yards and 60 touchdowns during his high school career, which he finished up at St. Augustine's near his San Diego home and led to a pair of state championships. Chris chose UCLA over Miami, Nebraska and Oregon, and figured it wouldn't be long before he'd be under center.

But the Bruins brought in Rick Neuheisel as coach in 2008 and Chris struggled to mesh with his system. When UCLA coaches asked him to move to wide receiver, Chris knew he needed to go elsewhere.

Chris looked to FCS schools so he could play without having to sit out a year and found Furman, which only a few years earlier had former Florida quarterback Ingle Martin leading the team to the NCAA playoffs. He transferred more than 2,300 miles East, feeling the Paladins and then coach Bobby Lamb were a perfect fit.

Chris appeared on track in 2010 until he suffered a fracture of the scapula, classified as a glenoid neck fracture, in Furman's loss at South Carolina just three games into the season. The good news was it was Forcier's left, non-throwing shoulder. The bad news: It cost him another season of action.

As Furman's year fell apart, Lamb resigned and Chris was left with more questions and anxiety about his future under new coach Bruce Fowler.

His father, Mike, said his son was depressed and barely wanted to leave his dorm room for rehab or workouts.

"That was a very difficult time for him," Mike Forcier said. He credited Chris' teammates, particularly, roommate receiver Tyler Maples, and Furman's football staff with helping his son cope.

Gradually, Chris felt better - physically and mentally.

Fowler retained Furman's quarterbacks coach Tim Sorrells, who had supported Chris while he was sidelined last fall. Chris also found a backer in Fowler, a former Furman player and longtime assistant.

"Maybe it's something about the South, but Chris couldn't have found a better place for him to go through this," said Mike Forcier, who traveled cross-country so his son would see another friendly face during spring practice.

Fowler and the Paladins began to see a healthy Chris' competitiveness during summer workouts. There was a confidence and assuredness, along with a joy of playing that Fowler knew could help Furman this fall.

"The thing with Chris is we all had to patient with each other," Fowler said.

That patience has paid off. Chris won the job from Dakota Derrick in the summer and went 9 of 9 passing in a 16-6 victory over Citadel in the second game of the season, then accounted for eight touchdowns (seven passing, one running) to beat Presbyterian 62-21 a week later.

Chris and the Paladins have continued their success and should Furman (6-3) beat Elon Saturday, the Paladins could return to the NCAA playoffs for the first time in five seasons.

It has been an amazing turnaround for the Forcier family.

Besides dealing with Chris' worries, Mike Forcier said he was also counseling Tate about his role at Michigan. Tate started as a freshman for then coach Rich Rodriguez, but fell behind Denard Robinson on the depth chart. Tate was declared academically ineligible for Michigan's bowl game last winter and in January decided to transfer. At first it was to Miami, but then he decided on San Jose State, where he's sitting out this season because of transfer rules.

Chris said Tate's brief fling with Miami was a case of "moving too fast and feeling like you didn't make the right decision."

Said Mike Forcier: "Last fall was hard on the family."

Now the brothers feel they've found schools that fit them well and Chris said they talk each week.

Mike Forcier said his all three of his sons have rebounded well from their football trials. Jason, the oldest, played for Lloyd Carr at Michigan in 2005 and 2006 before finishing school at Stanford.

None more so than Chris, the only one currently playing - and thriving.

He's completing 67.4 percent of his passes this season, throwing for 1,755 yards and 19 touchdowns. Chris has rediscovered the reason why he loves football; he likes being a contributor on a successful team.

"Honestly, I wouldn't care if I throw another touchdown this year," he said. "As long as we win games."
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/photos/0007/ForcierC2011Samford4_thumb.jpg?max_width=250

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Great writeup. Truly a "game manager" type quarterback -- makes plays when he needs to, but keeps the offense moving in the right direction.

AndrewFU21
November 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I think of him as more of a playmaker than a game manager. He plays the game manager role in a conservative offense, but he's come through with tons of big plays this year.

FurmanWins!!
November 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Gameday!!!!

GaSouthern
November 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Gameday!!!!

WHOOOOOO!

StorminASU
November 13th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Well the Furman traffic will certainly calm down around here, haha.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM
When we beat chattanooga you guys can kiss my *** xlolx

phoenix3
November 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Aaron Mellette 8 receptions, 144 yards, 2 tuchdowns...

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
This year was a very competitive one in the SoCon. The level of play was good and the bottom part of the conference was much better this year. There were numerous games that went down to the last 4 minutes of the game. Even the teams with lesser conference wins like Citadel was very close to having a much better record.