PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Rankings for 11.5

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Furman pulls off another big win. GSU survives a big scare from Ciadel. Wofford runs wild on WCU and Chattanooga beats Samford.

Here is how I would rank the SoCon teams right now:

1. Wofford. Seem to have it rolling again now.
2. GSU. Last 2 weeks the offense has struggled but defense has played very well.
3. Furman. They are the fastest rising SoCon team right now.
4. Appalachian. 2 road losses to Furman and Wofford by more than a TD each.
5. Chattanooga. A season of 'what ifs"
6. Citadel. This team is much improved over last year, much improved.
7. Samford. Sort of falling off a good bit
8. Elon. A long season of turnovers.
9. WCU. Wonder what changes will come this week.

GSU will win the SoCon with win over Wofford Saturday. Wofford will win the SoCon with wins over GSU and Chattanooga. If GSU loses to Wofford and Wofford loses to Chatt. there could be as many as 4 teams tie for SoCON championship-- crazy year.

Playoffs:

GSU has 7 D1 wins now and is in, even if they lose to Wofford and Alabama (a given)
Wofford is in with 1 more win (over GSU or Chatt).
Appalachian: App. needs 1 more win (WCU and Elon left)
Furman: 1 more win and Furman is in. Elon and Florida left

So I think there is now a good chance of 4 SoCon teams in the playoffs.

SC-T-Dogg
November 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Pretty good summary!

bjtheflamesfan
November 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Wofford and GSU are the only ones who can get the autobid at this point yes?

The Eagle's Cliff
November 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Correct. The winner next Saturday is the outright SoCon Champ.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I am not sure. If Wofford beats GSU and Chatt beats Wofford, there could be 4 teams at 6-2 (GSU, Wofford, App, and Furman) GSU would be 1-2, Wofford 2-1, App. 1-2, and Furman 2-1 vs. the other 3). I guess in that situation Furman would get the autobid as they beat Wofford.

So I don't think App. can get the autobid now regardless, but Furman still has a chance along with Wofford and GSU.

youwouldno
November 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Correct. The winner next Saturday is the outright SoCon Champ.

But if Wofford wins and then loses to UTC, they are 6-2, along with Furman, who beat them head to head.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM

If Wofford beats GSU and loses to Chattanooga, then Furman will get the autobid via the head-to-head over Wofford and there will be a four-way tie.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Not sure Furman is in even with a win over Elon. Still, if they let a 7-4 GSU team in last season, seems like they'd do the same this go around.

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
No doubt Furman is in at 7-4 with wins over Wofford and Appalachian. Beat Elon and Furman is in-- almost 100% certainty

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM
No doubt Furman is in at 7-4 with wins over Wofford and Appalachian. Beat Elon and Furman is in-- almost 100% certainty

Yup. Furman would have more quality wins than we did last year when we got in.

youwouldno
November 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Furman would have to be in at 7-4. Actually if Wofford loses to GSU but beats UTC, they would probably be more on the bubble than Furman; both would have 7 D-I wins but the Paladins own the head-to-head, which the committee places significant weight on (based on past results).

GSU Eagle
November 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
If 4 SoCon teams get in it will be interesting to see our the pairings are set. I would assume 2 would be on 1 side and 2 on the other.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Yup. Furman would have more quality wins than we did last year when we got in.

Let us hope a toe is not stubbed against the Phoenix, then.

FurmanWins!!
November 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Go Paladins, Beat Elon!

CID1990
November 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Furman pulls off another big win. GSU survives a big scare from Ciadel. Wofford runs wild on WCU and Chattanooga beats Samford.

Here is how I would rank the SoCon teams right now:

1. Wofford. Seem to have it rolling again now.
2. GSU. Last 2 weeks the offense has struggled but defense has played very well.
3. Furman. They are the fastest rising SoCon team right now.
4. Appalachian. 2 road losses to Furman and Wofford by more than a TD each.
5. Chattanooga. A season of 'what ifs"
6. Citadel. This team is much improved over last year, much improved.
7. Samford. Sort of falling off a good bit
8. Elon. A long season of turnovers.
9. WCU. Wonder what changes will come this week.

GSU will win the SoCon with win over Wofford Saturday. Wofford will win the SoCon with wins over GSU and Chattanooga. If GSU loses to Wofford and Wofford loses to Chatt. there could be as many as 4 teams tie for SoCON championship-- crazy year.

Playoffs:

GSU has 7 D1 wins now and is in, even if they lose to Wofford and Alabama (a given)
Wofford is in with 1 more win (over GSU or Chatt).
Appalachian: App. needs 1 more win (WCU and Elon left)
Furman: 1 more win and Furman is in. Elon and Florida left

So I think there is now a good chance of 4 SoCon teams in the playoffs.

I agree with this ranking except i would flip El Cid and Chatty. We lost to ASU by 7, furple by 10, and GSU by 2. Only wofford whipped us. Chatty has not been that close to winning so many games against the top half of the conference, and we did beat them on their field after spotting them 4 scores.

Mocs123
November 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I don't know if I would say that. We lost to App by 2, El Cid by 1, to GSU by 1, and FU by 7. The difference between 9-1 and 5-5 is pretty small in the SoCon this year. That being said, we still lost those games, and it really doesn't matter if it is by 1 or 40, but it sure feels better to be in every game.

walliver
November 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
If there is a four-way tie. The tie-breaking procedure consists of:
1) Best record against other teams tied for the championship. FU and Wofford would both be 2-1, ASU and GSU 1-2
2) FU would win the head-to-head

I believe this is still the tie-breaking mechanism, but it is no longer posted on the SoCon website.

I'm pulling for Elon the rest of the season:D

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Wofford has won every game they've won by double digits and lost every game they've lost by 8 points are less :P

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM
We lost to ASU by 7, furple by 10, and GSU by 2. Only wofford whipped us. Chatty has not been that close to winning so many games against the top half of the conference

Did you actually look at the scores before you posted this? Chattanooga lost every game you mentioned by less than the Citadel did (and you guys got 2 of the 3 at home, while the Mocs played 2 of those 3 on the road).

Chattanooga has a better overall record (and conference record)

They played a lot tougher OOC
...Mocs played the scholarship version of Jacksonville (State) and EKU, while the Citadel countered with the non-scholarship Jacksonville and VMI

And you guys lost at Elon (the Mocs won at Elon 42-18).

But, you guys did win in Chattanooga...how about we split the difference and call it a T5 for now.

CID1990
November 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Did you actually look at the scores before you posted this? Chattanooga lost every game you mentioned by less than the Citadel did (and you guys got 2 of the 3 at home, while the Mocs played 2 of those 3 on the road).

Chattanooga has a better overall record (and conference record)

They played a lot tougher OOC
...Mocs played the scholarship version of Jacksonville (State) and EKU, while the Citadel countered with the non-scholarship Jacksonville and VMI

And you guys lost at Elon (the Mocs won at Elon 42-18).

But, you guys did win in Chattanooga...how about we split the difference and call it a T5 for now.

Yeah I thought for som reason you guys lost to GSU by a lot more.

But we did beat you so we'll call it a wash. I think if we played today we'd win again based on the late season trajectory of the two teams.