PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League: And Then There Were Two...

DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Your 2011 Patriot League Championship: Georgetown at Lehigh.

xdizzyx

colorless raider
November 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM

xdizzyx

Who would have thought??

Engineer86
November 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
After this weeks power outage let down, I expect LU to be ready for next week. I look forward to it. Great crowd today on parents weekend!

LehighU11
November 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
After this weeks power outage let down, I expect LU to be ready for next week. I look forward to it. Great crowd today on parents weekend!

Great size crowd, but dead silent considering there were over 9k in attendance. Hopefully the student body will be more rambunctious next week without mommy and daddy on hand.

After dismal 2007-2009 seasons for both schools, Lehigh-Georgetown is a great matchup next week. Pretty amazing that the Patriot League championship has been decided at this game 2 years in a row!

LehighU11
November 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Who would have thought??

I remember at the '07 GU-LU game, the Lehigh QB's mother was screaming "courtesy score" throughout the entirety of the second half. Final score was 45-0 in what was a down year for the Mountain Hawks. Great to see that Georgetown is finally playing great football and competing with the rest of the league.

TheValleyRaider
November 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM

xdizzyx

LSU-Bama's got nothing on us

Let the hype commence! xrotatehx

MplsBison
November 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM

xdizzyx

G-town president must be sweating bullets "damnit I can't afford for them to win! I can't have people expecting and wanting G-town football to be good, I don't want to pay for that!"

LehighU11
November 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
LSU-Bama's got nothing on us

Let the hype commence! xrotatehx

I hear once the PL expands to 12 teams from the influx of CAA defectors, the conference championship game will be held at the Carrier Dome xlolx xrotatehx

hebmskebm
November 5th, 2011, 04:46 PM
G-town president must be sweating bullets "damnit I can't afford for them to win! I can't have people expecting and wanting G-town football to be good, I don't want to pay for that!"

Georgetown President=Owner of the Cleveland Indians in the film Major League

ColgateTD
November 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Gotta congratulate DFW HOYA for hanging in there all these years! Your day has finally arrived....Yay! :)

Go...gate
November 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Gotta congratulate DFW HOYA for hanging in there all these years! Your day has finally arrived....Yay! :)

Ditto that - LB POP, too! Congratulations to both of you and all Hoya fans. Like Fordham, it was just a matter of time and hard work and the results are showing.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM

LOL! Nice post.

ngineer
November 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
DFWHoya--Are flying up the THE BIG ONE?! Let us know.xnodx

RichH2
November 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Absolutely and for LBPop also and all the rest of Hoya fans. Andy knew something when he picked them to finish 2nd

colorless raider
November 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Another me too shot. I don't know if I cold have hung in like DFW and LB Pop did. However, I survived the Sweeeny era. Congrats to them!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Im going to miss the game on Saturday which has me a lil depressed. The only positive is i will be in fargo for the ndsu-ysu game. Maybe i can do a little early scouting for Hawks!

van
November 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Who would have thought??

Andy Coen.

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm pleased for the Hoyas - they worked hard and deserve it. It's gratifying to see someone other than Lafayette, Fordham and Holy Cross be playing for the PL championship.

BisonFan02
November 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Im going to miss the game on Saturday which has me a lil depressed. The only positive is i will be in fargo for the ndsu-ysu game. Maybe i can do a little early scouting for Hawks!

Be sure to let the folks over at Bisonville know (if you haven't already) and I would imagine someone will have a few beverages available for ya.

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Your first time in Fargo? I had a great time indeed. Make sure you hit OB bar on Old Broadway. The tailgating is awesome. I stayed at the Settle Inn which is relatively new and nice and is near the Interstate crossroads there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Your first time in Fargo? I had a great time indeed. Make sure you hit OB bar on Old Broadway. The tailgating is awesome. I stayed at the Settle Inn which is relatively new and nice and is near the Interstate crossroads there.

Im staying at the expressway suites near 94 i believe. Ive already talked to a couple ndsu fans and will be participating in the pregame festivties. Ill be decked out in my lehigh gear. Hopefully a playoff spot will have been already secured by the time the ndsu game kicks off. A lehigh loss will really put a damper on the whole thing.

Go Hawks!!

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Im staying at the expressway suites near 94 i believe. Ive already talked to a couple ndsu fans and will be participating in the pregame festivties. Ill be decked out in my lehigh gear. Hopefully a playoff spot will have been already secured by the time the ndsu game kicks off. A lehigh loss will really put a damper on the whole thing.

Go Hawks!!

Wow - I checked out Expressway Inn & Suites and went to look at the rates vs Settle Inn and everything is booked that weekend! Is it the last home game before playoffs or what? Lehigh TU Owl - check your PM too!

BisonFan02
November 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Wow - I checked out Expressway Inn & Suites and went to look at the rates vs Settle Inn and everything is booked that weekend! Is it the last home game before playoffs or what?

Yes, last regular season home game. Last game is on the road against Western Ill.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Another me too shot. I don't know if I cold have hung in like DFW and LB Pop did. However, I survived the Sweeney era. Congrats to them!!

Memories of the hopeless state of Colgate Football during that time remain very vivid and sad. I hope we never go back there.

DerHoya
November 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
A large NYC GU contingent is expected since it's only 1:30 away. The game is competing with basketball's home opener but many of the faithful will be making the trip. I heard rumor of a bus or two being organized. Hopefully the weather is wonderful like this past weekend!

anyone have a video link for the game? i'll be half way around the world for work and will be missing this unfortunately!

Bogus Megapardus
November 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
anyone have a video link for the game?

Seriously??? xlolxxlolxxlolx

bjtheflamesfan
November 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Id hate to be him should Georgetown win and qualify for the playoffs...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM
The game is competing with basketball's home opener but many of the faithful will be making the trip. I heard rumor of a bus or two being organized.

Yes, Savannah State will be such a rough home opener for the basketball Hoyas.

Seriously, it's nice to hear that a potential Patriot League football championship and first-ever autobid to the FCS playoffs beats a home cupcake in basketball. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
For comparison purposes, Lehigh's home opener is vs. Quinnipiac... and it's on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
geesh, don't wear the Lehigh gear!

all the fans at the FargoDome were told that The Fan would be attending the game in Lehigh gear.

it might not be safe for you if they think that it is The Fan

By whom?

Fordham
November 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Congrats to both programs but obviously a little extra thrown in there for the Hoyas due to the futility they've had to deal with for so long.

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Will this game be televised on Service Electric? I've noticed WFMZ televised stupid MAC games instead of last week's HC game. Will be watching the Pards on TV...

And yes the crowd demeanor was poor Saturday. Lot was full and no noise?

Think: if this game was at MSF, there could have been a secondary market for tickets and outrageous prices since you can't even watch it on TV!

RichH2
November 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Nice weather again , I would think a good crowd.Think it was Family weekend . Quiet crowd. maybe some students will show up this week besides us old fogies

LUHawker
November 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Nice weather again , I would think a good crowd.Think it was Family weekend . Quiet crowd. maybe some students will show up this week besides us old fogies

Most of the game was played between the 35s and there wasn't much to get jazzed about until the 4th quarter. Lehigh came out blase and I think the fans sensed that.

PopsLB
November 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Think: if this game was at MSF, there could have been a secondary market for tickets and outrageous prices since you can't even watch it on TV!

I was thinking about that this week too and really, really wishing it was at MSF. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled I'll be watching Georgetown compete for its first PL title in a great stadium instead of the Middle School Field, but I think the ticket situation would have actually really helped put pressure on the school to upgrade the field... Well, maybe not...

Anyway, thanks to DFW, LBPop, and others for sticking it out while we struggled, and I can't wait for this weekend!

MplsBison
November 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I was thinking about that this week too and really, really wishing it was at MSF. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled I'll be watching Georgetown compete for its first PL title in a great stadium instead of the Middle School Field, but I think the ticket situation would have actually really helped put pressure on the school to upgrade the field... Well, maybe not...

Anyway, thanks to DFW, LBPop, and others for sticking it out while we struggled, and I can't wait for this weekend!

If ESPN Gameday crew were at the MSF in front of a raging crowd of around 17, the president of Gtown would be there personally to tell the world "suck it! I don't want to pay to support this program so this is all you're going to get!"

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
If ESPN Gameday crew were at the MSF in front of a raging crowd of around 17, the president of Gtown would be there personally to tell the world "suck it! I don't want to pay to support this program so this is all you're going to get!"

Methinks MplsBison reads too many Lafayette posts.

Remember, Georgetown's president actually played football at Georgetown (1975,76)--the only PL president to do so and one of a handful in I-AA that actually lettered in the sport. He supports the program and does not hesitate to say so.

He understands football's unique role at Georgetown better than anyone, and he also understands in a 29 sport program largely funded by one sport, a 63 scholarship team isn't going to change that revenue dynamic. He wants Georgetown to compete at a level comparable to its academic peers (i.e., Ivy League) and football is funded thusly. There is zero groundswell at Georgetown to become the next Fordham.

And he's not standing in the way of the MSF. The MSF was approved by the president and the Board of Directors in 2004. (Yes, 2004...). The #22 million project was $10 million short when construction started and the former athletic director (now at Delaware) made the decision to halt construction and try to sell a much bigger project. He never made his case, left under short notice, and now a new AD is making that case all over again with a budget closer to the 2004 designs.

The MSF is part of the just announced capital campaign, and once that money is raised and zoning approval is re-ratified (it was approved in 2004 and 2007), the project can go forward. But like every building project at Georgetown, the money has to be there, which is why two nationally ranked basketball teams still don't have a practice facility to play on until the money is raised for them, too.

Sorry, no conspiracy here, Mpls. If Georgetown gets the money, they will build.

MplsBison
November 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Academic peers or academic idols?

I heard Stanford has pretty good academics too. Why not consider them a peer and follow their athletic roadmap? They have a large athletic department like G-town as well, am I right?

Or heck, for that matter - how about Lehigh? They have pretty good academics too, I heard. And a large athletic department.

And they give 50+ scholarship equivalencies of aid in football.

Why not follow that model?

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Academic peers or academic idols?

Georgetown's academic profile and applicant patterns closely match the Ivy League (excepting Cornell, which is more science-oriented.). It's not going to win a lot of battles with Harvard, but then, few do, but its holds its own against Penn, Brown, and Dartmouth.

I heard Stanford has pretty good academics too. Why not consider them a peer and follow their athletic roadmap? They have a large athletic department like G-town as well, am I right?

Stanford is a peer all its own. By campus size, Stanford has 8,000 acres, Georgetown 104. It has a $16 billion endowment versus Georgetown's $1.1 billion. Stanford sponsors 37 sports, most of any non-Ivy school. A $250 million endowment strictly for athletics doesn't exactly hurt, nor does a revenue producing football team that develops a future NFL QB star every generation (from John Brodie to Jim Plunkett to John Elway to Andrew Luck) and competes quite well in the Pac-12. The non-revenue sports alumni (from John McEnroe to Tiger Woods to about half of all U.S. Olympic Swimming Teams) aren't so bad, either.

Or heck, for that matter - how about Lehigh? They have pretty good academics too, I heard. And a large athletic department. And they give 50+ scholarship equivalencies of aid in football.

Lehigh's athletic department is somewhat smaller by the sheer fact that it plays in the Patriot League and is not committing scholarship funds across its Olympic sports. Owing to Lehigh's engineering tradition, the two schools do not share a common applicant pool.

ngineer
November 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Georgetown's academic profile and applicant patterns closely match the Ivy League (excepting Cornell, which is more science-oriented.). It's not going to win a lot of battles with Harvard, but then, few do, but its holds its own against Penn, Brown, and Dartmouth.

Stanford is a peer all its own. By campus size, Stanford has 8,000 acres, Georgetown 104. It has a $16 billion endowment versus Georgetown's $1.1 billion. Stanford sponsors 37 sports, most of any non-Ivy school. A $250 million endowment strictly for athletics doesn't exactly hurt, nor does a revenue producing football team that develops a future NFL QB star every generation (from John Brodie to Jim Plunkett to John Elway to Andrew Luck) and competes quite well in the Pac-12. The non-revenue sports alumni (from John McEnroe to Tiger Woods to about half of all U.S. Olympic Swimming Teams) aren't so bad, either.

Lehigh's athletic department is somewhat smaller by the sheer fact that it plays in the Patriot League and is not committing scholarship funds across its Olympic sports. Owing to Lehigh's engineering tradition, the two schools do not share a common applicant pool.

Not exactly right. Lehigh does give scholarships in various Olympic sports..the largest being wrestling wherein Lehigh grants the NCAA max of 9.9 (or whatever the rate is). Further, while Lehigh is best known for its engineering college, students majoring in engineering comprise only about 30% of the student body. The Business College and various departments in the Arts & Science College have become quite excellent over past years.

RichH2
November 8th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The essential issue, as most always so, is $$$$$. GU has a miniscule endownment compared to Lehigh. Much more of what they need or seek to do must be funde from current income.

MplsBison
November 8th, 2011, 09:20 AM

OK so in other words, you would do the same thing Stanford does if you could afford it.

So it does come down to simply not wanting to spend the money, so you can spend more money on bball.

Honestly, what would happen if G-town hired a new AD and he blurted out at a press conference "I want to G-town football to win national titles in the FCS!"?? In my mind, I picture wealthy basketball donors calling him to promise wraith and hellfire if he tries to divert any money in the athletic department to football, as G-town is a bball school and all money and energy should be going to the bball program.

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
OK so in other words, you would do the same thing Stanford does if you could afford it. So it does come down to simply not wanting to spend the money, so you can spend more money on bball. Honestly, what would happen if G-town hired a new AD and he blurted out at a press conference "I want to G-town football to win national titles in the FCS!"?? In my mind, I picture wealthy basketball donors calling him to promise wraith and hellfire if he tries to divert any money in the athletic department to football, as G-town is a bball school and all money and energy should be going to the bball program.

Again, yet again, you are mistaken. All money does not go to basketball. Men's basketball is 27% of the budget. The second largest sport by budget is football. The remaining 11 men's sports account for 15% of the budget combined.

Many schools would simply not have those sports and devote all that money to football, but Georgetown has always prided itself on a wide ranging, participatory athletics program. Growing the budget through alumni and donor support is the best way for football to grow, not by robbing baseball or lacrosse to do so.

MplsBison
November 8th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Again, yet again, you are mistaken. All money does not go to basketball. Men's basketball is 27% of the budget. The second largest sport by budget is football. The remaining 11 men's sports account for 15% of the budget combined.

Many schools would simply not have those sports and devote all that money to football, but Georgetown has always prided itself on a wide ranging, participatory athletics program. Growing the budget through alumni and donor support is the best way for football to grow, not by robbing baseball or lacrosse to do so.

I'm not talking about needing to get more money to spend on football.

I'm saying that there are certain unwritten rules in the G-town athletic department that an athletic director should not try to grow football, lest it takes attention and money away from basketball.

Think about this: lets say G-town football wins a national championship at the FCS level and in that same year the basketball team finishes dead last in the Big East. Now you have some G-town donor that is preparing to make a $1 million dollar gift to the athletic dept. With the recent success of the football team, he decides to split the gift between football and basketball 50/50 instead of giving all of it to basketball.

That's the kind of thing that the powerful elite in G-town athletics aren't going to allow to happen.

G-town football has to be suppressed so as not to attract too much attention. It's fine to have a team, in the Ivy League tradition, but not to even attempt to obtain the kind of support needed to be successful.

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Your theories defy basic reality. Using words like "powerful elite" betray a general misunderstanding of how things work at Georgetown and the suggestions are out of touch with how football works within a 29 sport framework.

No one is in the business of "suppressing" football. If you don't understand that, so be it.

MplsBison
November 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Your theories defy basic reality. Using words like "powerful elite" betray a general misunderstanding of how things work at Georgetown and the suggestions are out of touch with how football works within a 29 sport framework.

No one is in the business of "suppressing" football. If you don't understand that, so be it.

Think about this: lets say G-town football wins a national championship at the FCS level and in that same year the basketball team finishes dead last in the Big East. Now you have some G-town donor that is preparing to make a $1 million dollar gift to the athletic dept. With the recent success of the football team, he decides to split the gift between football and basketball 50/50 instead of giving all of it to basketball.

colorless raider
November 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
DFW,
Answer the numbers published by Princeton logo. Those numbers don't match yours.

van
November 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM

They must have just added a bunch, I can only find 23 on the athletics website. Hmmmm, same number as Lehigh.

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
DFW,
Answer the numbers published by Princeton logo. Those numbers don't match yours.

Those numbers were men's and women's basketball combined.

They must have just added a bunch, I can only find 23 on the athletics website. Hmmmm, same number as Lehigh.

Here are the 29. Rowing, track, and sailing have more than one roster but only one listing in the site navigation.

MEN'S SPORTS (13): Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Lightweight Rowing, Heavyweight Rowing, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track

WOMEN'S SPORTS (15): Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Lightweight Rowing, Open Rowing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Volleyball

COED SPORTS (1)
Sailing

van
November 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Here are the 29. Rowing, track, and sailing have more than one roster but only one listing in the site navigation.

MEN'S SPORTS (13): Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Lightweight Rowing, Heavyweight Rowing, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track

WOMEN'S SPORTS (15): Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Lightweight Rowing, Open Rowing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Volleyball

COED SPORTS (1)
Sailing

Ah, I see. light and heavy, plus 4 track teams. why not 2 swimming and 2 diving?

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Ah, I see. light and heavy, plus 4 track teams. why not 2 swimming and 2 diving?

The NCAA views swimming and diving as one sport for championship purposes.

By contrast, the crew has 180 members (101 men, 79 women) and there are separate regatta schedules for the HW vs. LW teams.

ngineer
November 8th, 2011, 10:24 PM

I'm surprised. I thought they had a 'one track mind.'...(;-)

Tod
November 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM
What the hell is right with you Patriot League fans? I just read through this thread and had to give many reputation points because you guys are so damn civil. Knock it on!

Sader87
November 8th, 2011, 10:32 PM
What the hell is right with you Patriot League fans? I just read through this thread and had to give many reputation points because you guys are so damn civil. Knock it on!

Ummm, the PL sucks and has killed HC football and basketball. Do I get rep points??

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM

COED SPORTS (1)
Sailing

Of course! You've got to fund the sailing team at the same level as football!! It wouldn't be fair!

Don't forget about squash and sprint football!

If they aren't sponsored by the NCAA, you get zero sympathy. Rowing is one sport. Sailing is not a sport.

Respond to the point that I correctly made:

Non-response means that you can't think of a good way out and I've got you. I'll take the victory.

DFW HOYA
November 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Respond to the point that I correctly made:
Think about this: lets say G-town football wins a national championship at the FCS level and in that same year the basketball team finishes dead last in the Big East. Now you have some G-town donor that is preparing to make a $1 million dollar gift to the athletic dept. With the recent success of the football team, he decides to split the gift between football and basketball 50/50 instead of giving all of it to basketball. Non-response means that you can't think of a good way out and I've got you. I'll take the victory.

I didn't realize this was some sort of contest. xrolleyesx

Notwithstanding, a donor may certainly choose to split gifts. Happens all the time. A prominent donor associated with men's basketball made a recent gift to Georgetown and split it among five groups. Football wasn't one of the five but if he chose to do so it would certainly be accepted.

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I didn't realize this was some sort of contest. xrolleyesx

Notwithstanding, a donor may certainly choose to split gifts. Happens all the time. A prominent donor associated with men's basketball made a recent gift to Georgetown and split it among five groups. Football wasn't one of the five but if he chose to do so it would certainly be accepted.

Pretty clear avoidance on your part. You knew the point I was making and didn't have an answer for it.

Football is the only sport at Georgetown that is a potential threat to steal donor dollars from the bball program. People who donate to G-town rowing or sailing or whatever other made-up sport aren't donating to bball or football.

Therefore, the clear direction that has been handed down to the AD and President of G-town from above is this: do not pursue major gifts for G-town football, do not spend money on the sport or it's facilities to make it more successful, those resources rightfully belong to the basketball program.

TheValleyRaider
November 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Pretty clear avoidance on your part. You knew the point I was making and didn't have an answer for it.

Football is the only sport at Georgetown that is a potential threat to steal donor dollars from the bball program. People who donate to G-town rowing or sailing or whatever other made-up sport aren't donating to bball or football.

Therefore, the clear direction that has been handed down to the AD and President of G-town from above is this: do not pursue major gifts for G-town football, do not spend money on the sport or it's facilities to make it more successful, those resources rightfully belong to the basketball program.

Except DFW's example (an athletic gift earmarked only partially for basketball) disproves that quite clearly...

MplsBison
November 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Except DFW's example (an athletic gift earmarked only partially for basketball) disproves that quite clearly...

Of course it doesn't, not even close.

Bogus Megapardus
November 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I should create a nice MplsBison avatar. One that befits her creativity and intellect.

Suggestions, anyone?

November 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Bogus..what does an avatar of a moron look like?

PAllen
November 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I should create a nice MplsBison avatar. One that befits her creativity and intellect.

Suggestions, anyone?

An avatar of my bunghole might be hard to do.

The Last Engineer
November 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Bogus..what does an avatar of a moron look like?

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette_impact/photo/9919936-large.jpg

MplsBison
November 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Suggestions, anyone?

I'd just like to know why you think it's cute to use "her" when you clearly think I'm male.

I know, shame on me for finally acknowledging it -- now you're never going to stop.