PDA

View Full Version : UMass spring game

umassfan
May 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
UMass had their spring game today. Some things of note have to be the passing game as our returning QB Coen finished the day 9-9 passing. Our backup QB was 3-3 also. The first team won 21-0 but thats no shocker. Both London and Moore had 4 and 3 receptions.

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/050606aaa.html

If people come into the season looking at our offense as being weak again this year they will be mistaken. Coen no longer is a freshman and JJ Moore comes back from his injury. Moore and London will prove to be one of the top WR threats in the A10 this season. You add that with Baylark, Nelson and Lawrence in the backfield... they will be hard to stop... look out!

henfan
May 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM
What's the status of the new artificial surface at McGuirk? I thought UMass had intended to install it in time for the '06 season.

Delaware State announced that they were getting a new surface at about the same time as UMass. DSU's surface is in at Alumni Stadium and it looks fanstastic. A new filed at UMass would really help, considering the drainage situation there.

saint0917
May 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
What's the status of the new artificial surface at McGuirk? I thought UMass had intended to install it in time for the '06 season.

Delaware State announced that they were getting a new surface at about the same time as UMass. DSU's surface is in at Alumni Stadium and it looks fanstastic. A new filed at UMass would really help, considering the drainage situation there.

The new surface should be done before the start of the season, but when they start it I don't know.

henfan
May 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the update, Saint.

Umass74
May 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
The new surface should be done before the start of the season, but when they start it I don't know.

As I understand it, construction starts the day after commencement, May 29th. :)

umassfan
May 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
As I understand it, construction starts the day after commencement, May 29th. :)

Yes it starts then because graduation is still held at the stadium.

GannonFan
May 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
How'd the two lines (off and def) look? IMO, that's been the downfall for UMass recently - not good enough line play. Day caught a lot of heat for his picks but Coen even saw that there was way too much pressure getting in when they played good defensive teams. In addition, Blaylark is a very, very good back (he's no Cuff, but second best isn't bad) but I think he's limited at times as he's forced to shred tacklers behind the line of scrimmage too often. Losing Caldwell to graduation is significant. And as good as UMass's defensive backfield has been, they don't get enough push up front to pressure and shorten the passing game - without James and Costello back there it may get more exposed. And half of that defensive line graduated, including the best player in Williams. Again I think that will be the difference for UMass - how well they play on the lines - if it doesn't get better, they'll still not beat the better teams.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM
UMass had their spring game today. Some things of note have to be the passing game as our returning QB Coen finished the day 9-9 passing. Our backup QB was 3-3 also. The first team won 21-0 but thats no shocker. Both London and Moore had 4 and 3 receptions.

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/050606aaa.html

If people come into the season looking at our offense as being weak again this year they will be mistaken. Coen no longer is a freshman and JJ Moore comes back from his injury. Moore and London will prove to be one of the top WR threats in the A10 this season. You add that with Baylark, Nelson and Lawrence in the backfield... they will be hard to stop... look out!

Breaking news - In a shocking development, Umassfan is optimistic about the up coming season - warns all prospective opponents of the imminent dominance that will be displayed Minutemen... xlolx

umassfan
May 9th, 2006, 04:11 PM
How'd the two lines (off and def) look? IMO, that's been the downfall for UMass recently - not good enough line play. Day caught a lot of heat for his picks but Coen even saw that there was way too much pressure getting in when they played good defensive teams. In addition, Blaylark is a very, very good back (he's no Cuff, but second best isn't bad) but I think he's limited at times as he's forced to shred tacklers behind the line of scrimmage too often. Losing Caldwell to graduation is significant. And as good as UMass's defensive backfield has been, they don't get enough push up front to pressure and shorten the passing game - without James and Costello back there it may get more exposed. And half of that defensive line graduated, including the best player in Williams. Again I think that will be the difference for UMass - how well they play on the lines - if it doesn't get better, they'll still not beat the better teams.

Well the player who is taking Keron Williams sat out Sat due to having both his knees scoped. That is Patrick Powell, the transfer from Maryland a year ago. I still say DT is our weakest possition currently. John Hatchell sat out the spring game as he got his knee scoped as well. Jason Leonard will take over for Justin Schweighardt at the DT poss. Leonard was slated to start last year but Burris played so well at DE they moved Schweighardt to DT.

On the OLine... we only had 7 OLinemen in for spring. Two of our starters sat out the game so we dont know how it will look quite yet. From what im told, we are looking for a left tackle transfer to step in right away. We have 7 olinemen joining the team in the fall. One of them may step up for that spot but left tackle is our only hole on the line.

Our LBers will be the major strength as im told we go 12 deep at LBer. SS backup Brandon Smith(who saw alot of time last year) will take over for shannon james at FS. Also Sean Smalls or Brandon Freeman will take over for Costello. Both Smalls and Freeman played alot for our D last year. Brown likes to play alot of guys for different packages so holes on defense wont be as visable as expected. If our offense matures like expected this season, it will be a long year for A10 teams. Rancher, Moore(returned from a broken ankle) and London(returned from a broken wrist) will be a hard threat to stop. You add Baylark and Matt Lawrence(sat out last year with an injury), on top of Coen having a year under his belt.... The offense should be near the top of the A10.