PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Projecting the FCS Playoff Field, Week 10

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Chuck Burton's latest projections of the playoff field, going into Week 10:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/79-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-10

Not too many changes, though Sacramento State drops out... and .... ___ makes it in! xlolx

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
NDSU at #2 behind #1 Maine??

OK, that's a new one on me... I'm not bothered by it too much since NDSU is still in the top 2, just intrigued...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM

OK, that's a new one on me... I'm not bothered by it too much since NDSU is still in the top 2, just intrigued...

You may realize this already but in case you didn't...just because you are ranked #1 in the polls does not mean you will get the #1 seed. It is likely that you would but the playoff committee uses their own rankings and it is possible that NDSU is not #1 in that ranking.

TTUEagles
November 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
TTU @ Sam Houston St....
I don't care if "we" go to Mars...as long as TTU gets in, I will be unbelievably elated!

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hmm, suppose it depends on the field but I'd have a hard time seeing MSU in a play-in game at 9-2 with losses to a top 5ish Montana and a Pac-12 team

edit: unless he thinks Weber will beat them too

Ginsbach
November 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Missouri Valley Football Conference: With their big win over Northern Iowa this past weekend, North Dakota State would have to lose two of their next tree games to lose the conference title and autobid. The Bison, for all intents and purposes, will be getting the autobid.

Unintentional pun? I like it.

bojeta
November 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
There's an error in Burton's write up. Cal Poly is on track for an 8-3 record (7 D1 wins) if they win out, not 7-4.

Bearwitness
November 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM

Of course, he's presuming that Maine will win their last three, and if that's the case, there is a strong case to be made. 10-0 against FCS opponents, 4-0 against playoff teams and just a 6 point loss at Pitt. I'd love to see it happen...just not sure it will.

Squealofthepig
November 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Can someone explain why anyone prefers Montana over Montana State in the Brawl? We're playing in Bozeman, and I think it'll take an outstanding effort by the Griz to get the W. It should be a great game, but I can't see how anyone could not pick the Cats in that game. (I like our pass defense with Trumain and company, but think Kirk will be a beast; and while our O-line should help us mix up runs/passes and we should score, I have to give the edge to the Cats.)

appst97
November 2nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Chick's Nucking Futs! App as an 8 seed?!?!?! piss off! with the $ "prerequisites" of the FCS and a top 5 ranking? This chick needs to put down the pipe and step away from the keyboard!

mainejeff
November 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM

Don't forget that he is assuming that Maine wins the rest of their games and ends up 10-1.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Don't forget that he is assuming that Maine wins the rest of their games and ends up 10-1.

IMO, if NDSU wins out, they will be the #1 seed. But who knows......

CopperCat
November 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Can someone explain why anyone prefers Montana over Montana State in the Brawl? We're playing in Bozeman, and I think it'll take an outstanding effort by the Griz to get the W. It should be a great game, but I can't see how anyone could not pick the Cats in that game. (I like our pass defense with Trumain and company, but think Kirk will be a beast; and while our O-line should help us mix up runs/passes and we should score, I have to give the edge to the Cats.)

Past performance I guess, that's the only thing I can come up with. Unless he flat out just doesn't like them, just like another sports journalist who shall not be named.

tingly
November 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
He's a gambler, takes some chances.

BEAR
November 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
YAY! UCA made it in someone's bracket! xlolx

tingly
November 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
UCA and Cal Poly are battling to be the #5 West team. Both teams can be thankful that the other scheduled a D2 game, but UCA has a tough game this week.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 01:05 AM
There's an error in Burton's write up. Cal Poly is on track for an 8-3 record (7 D1 wins) if they win out, not 7-4.

Must be predicting a major Bobcat shutdown if they get a play-in game, and are basically seeded below Tennessee Tech.

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
I don't think his first round games make any sense. UCA with a bye?

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
Figure even Chuck and Dave will have to a sing a different tune if SHSU runs the table...

If SHSU runs the table, they will get no worse than a No. 3 seed, IMO - particularly if GPI holds steady.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I'm curious where the intrigue of Georgetown comes from if they finish 8-3? Unless if there isn't one other >7 win team.

AppAlum2003
November 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Chick's Nucking Futs! App as an 8 seed?!?!?! piss off! with the $ "prerequisites" of the FCS and a top 5 ranking? This chick needs to put down the pipe and step away from the keyboard!

Chuck has never cared for ASU... note he had to put "somewhat controversial win over Georgia Southern." Is that really necessary? Bad journalism.

Fear the Bird
November 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Figure even Chuck and Dave will have to a sing a different tune if SHSU runs the table...

If SHSU runs the table, they will get no worse than a No. 3 seed, IMO - particularly if GPI holds steady.

I doubt that - if the following teams run the table they will be seeded ahead of SHSU: NDSU, MSU, Maine, GSU (irrelevant of Bama), Wofford, possibly even App

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
See any of the other "bracket prediction threads" out there? The defense rests. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
I doubt that - if the following teams run the table they will be seeded ahead of SHSU: NDSU, MSU, Maine, GSU (irrelevant of Bama), Wofford, possibly even App

I thought I was generous with a 5 seed already! If they lose one of their last three games, I think they are definitely falling out of seeding, though I could see them hosting a second-round game.

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hmm.... This is a bold azz prediction I've got to give him credit. Can't wait to see how all his time and write up gets shot to he11 on Saturday.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hmm.... This is a bold azz prediction I've got to give him credit. Can't wait to see how all his time and write up gets shot to he11 on Saturday.

Bold?

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM

I have a good feeling that there will be atleast two, if not three of those teams that pick up a loss... not saying SHSU won't either, but there are some truly bumpy roads remaining more so for other institutions than Sam...

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Bold?

Haha, are you serious? You're questioning the assumption that your projection is bold?

bjtheflamesfan
November 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Liberty is gonna drop some serious coin to ensure a home date in the first round

clenz
November 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Is he assuming UNI loses out and just gets in? Can't be, he said in his write up that he has YSU losing to UNI, and from the looks of it has ISUr losing to UNI. That leaves only SUU to give UNI another loss.....that doesn't look like it will happen.

UNI "shouldn't" lost another game this year. That puts them at 9-2 (9-1 FCS) and second in the MVFC....maybe tied for first who knows.....and they get an opening round game, to get send to the #1 seed?

Am I the only one that saw that and was immediately confused as **** by his reasoning?