PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-31

JALMOND
November 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Maybe we can hit 100 posts on this thread this week. A big shock hit the middle of the conference last week and what is left is only two teams with a realistic shot at the playoffs. Eastern Washington's shot at returning, gone. Sacramento State's dream season, over. Weber State, out. Pretty clear for just the end of October. But there are still games to be played and maybe still some surprises out there. Here are this week's power rankings for the Big Sky (last week). All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. Have at it.

1. Montana State (1)---As the good sports that the Bobcats are, they let Idaho State with the Bobcats' old coach hang around for, say, half of the first quarter. Then they turned on the jets and let the Bengals have it. Now, they head on the road to the always tough Weber State. Can the Bobcats finish what they've started?

2. Montana (2)---Judging from the game last week against Weber State, the Grizzlies finally found their offense, while the defense kept up their superior ways. This has to be good news for the Grizzly faithful. This week, a slight break from the rigors of conference play as they welcome DII's Western Oregon to Missoula. Easy one perhaps, probably a chance to fine tune a few things?

3. Portland State (6)---Things looked down for the Vikings as they brought a two game conference losing streak into the defending champs, Eastern Washington's, home turf and played against the Eagles four game conference winning streak. Yet, when the dust settled, the Vikings headed home victorious, with a big road win in hand. Now they get to stay home and face a reeling Sacramento State team.

4. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles quest for the playoffs after a disappointing start to the season took a definite nosedive with a home loss to Portland State last week. Now, the quest is pretty much done. This week, the Eagles finally get an off week to get healthy but nothing to play for except pride.

5. Sacramento State (4)---Possibly feeling the effects of Eastern Washington stealing the game a week before, the Hornets gave up a tough loss at home to Northern Arizona, pretty much sealing their fate is year unfortunately. Now, having to play the role of spoiler which isn't what they were hoping for, they get a chance to salvage part of the season this weekend with a road game at Portland State.

6. Northern Arizona (7)---Trying their hardest to get a big conference win, the Lumberjacks finally came through on the road last weekend at Sacramento State. Now the confidence is back and they are looking to improve this week with a home contest against the lowly Northern Colorado team. Are they on their way?

7. Weber State (5)---While people may have given the Wildcats a slight chance last weekend at Montana, that thought was gone in a hurry as the Wildcats put up very little fight. All shot at a great season went by the wayside and the Wildcats need to regroup. However, not much time to do that as Montana State is coming to town. Not too easy.

8. Idaho State (8)---Surely the Bengals were hoping for a better showing last weekend in their coach's return to Montana State. But, with little to no effort, the Bengals were dismissed fairly early and this season is becoming more of a rebuilding year. This week may be the best week in awhile as the Bengals have it off.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Even with pretty much nothing to play for, the Bears almost got their elusive first win of the season last weekend against a good North Dakota team. No wins usually mean no hope, but it is clear that this Bears team has improved tremendously since the beginning of the year. This weekend, a good test to see where they are as they go on the road to Northern Arizona.

veinup
November 1st, 2011, 09:36 PM
as usual, 100% agree with your rankings. the fact that both montana teams seem to be on fire right now is incredibly exciting.

Grizo406
November 1st, 2011, 09:59 PM
Terrific perspective, JALMOND!

Strong work...thanks for the effort!!xthumbsupx

veinup
November 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Excellent work Jalmond

however

Montana should be ranked ahead of Montana State,

but that is only my opinion, of course

just out of curiousity.. why do you say that?

MTfan4life
November 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM
Jalmond, when you sum it up so well, I don't know how we can get to 100 posts! xthumbsupx

MTfan4life
November 1st, 2011, 10:56 PM
Kavanaugh shattered the Big Sky single season record for rushing yards by a QB by eclipsing 800 for the season. The old record was in the upper 600's. He still has a few games left to reach the thousand yard mark.

MTfan4life
November 1st, 2011, 11:04 PM
i don't want to go back and read your (probably) twenty posts on the subject. just three quick points would be easier.

I'll give you a summary. Because MSU narrowly defeated Northern Colorado, Montana is deemed better.

veinup
November 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM
I'll give you a summary. Because MSU narrowly defeated Northern Colorado, Montana is deemed better. However, because Lehigh did the same thing against an equally weak Princeton team, Lehigh is still the greatest team in the world.

ah, so Lehigh somehow figures into it.. interesting.

@ TheFan: doing my work for me? this is a messageboard for discussion, not work. i ask you a question and you tell me to go research your past posts. i'd just prefer an answer. i don't think that's alot to ask.

veinup
November 1st, 2011, 11:12 PM
i said;

QUESTION: why do you say that?

you said

GO REVIEW MY POSTS FROM THE PAST WEEK.

you call that an "answer"? you running for president or something?

Ginsbach
November 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM
I have no objections to this at all. Great ranking!

I think ISU has officially declared this a rebuilding year. Next year should be better - Eastern Washington and Montana State are off the schedule in favor of UC Davis and Cal Poly. Even the FBS game (Air Force) could be potentially winnable. I'm not predicting a huge turnaround from this year, but I think the record next year will be better.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2011, 12:01 AM
I have no objections to this at all. Great ranking!

I think ISU has officially declared this a rebuilding year. Next year should be better - Eastern Washington and Montana State are off the schedule in favor of UC Davis and Cal Poly. Even the FBS game (Air Force) could be potentially winnable. I'm not predicting a huge turnaround from this year, but I think the record next year will be better.

With Kramer, you guys will improve every year, if his track record holds. That's what makes you the scariest team in the conference in the near future.

veinup
November 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
wait, wait... ISU doesn't have to play EWU or MSU next year? whaaaaat?

Squealofthepig
November 2nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
i said;

QUESTION: why do you say that?

you said

GO REVIEW MY POSTS FROM THE PAST WEEK.

you call that an "answer"? you running for president or something?

Be like an evergrowing population of AGS and just add him/her/it to your ignore list. It's amazing how much more productive your AGS browsing will be!

wapiti
November 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Here are my ranking. I do have a slight disagreement with Jalmond's rankings. I switch up NAU and BBQ.

1. Montana State---Having a great season. Did just as expected against ISU.

2. Montana---Also having a great season. Did better than expected against the BBQ grills. The Griz are only a smidgen behind the Cats. The Griz now get three weeks to prepare for Cat/Griz.

3. Portland State---PSU has shown much improvement over last year. The game against EWU showed that.

4. Eastern Washington---Having a disappointing season this year. EWU now has 2 L's on the red carpet.

5. Sacramento State---What started as a promising season has taken a swan dive.

6. Weber State---This season has been a struggle for WSU. Is BBQ still on the alternating every other year a good season and then a not so good season? Look out for Weber next year.

7. Northern Arizona---Nice road win at Sac state. I did not move NAU up because I am trying to look at the whole season up to this point and the win this past weekend was not quite enough to lift them, but it is close.

8. Idaho State---Got ran over and crushed in Bozeman.

9. Northern Colorado---Almost got the W, but the L keeps them in last.

Ginsbach
November 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
With Kramer, you guys will improve every year, if his track record holds. That's what makes you the scariest team in the conference in the near future.

That's what I'm hoping for. As more and more of his recruits come in and the existing players buy into his coaching more, I think we continue to improve every year. Hopefully the attendance of the games go up - Pocatello has a lot of pride for the Bengals but I don't hear anyone really talking about football games. I can foresee the excitement being back as Kramer continues his tenure.

wait, wait... ISU doesn't have to play EWU or MSU next year? whaaaaat?

With the addition of Cal Poy, UC Davis, SUU, and UND next year there's a change in conference games. Each team will play a total of 8 conference games - 4 home and 4 away. Since there are now 13 members in the conference, each team will only play 8 out of the other 12 teams each year. Each team also has two designated rivals that they play every year (ISU's are Weber State and Portland State) but the others rotate. ISU does not play Eastern Washington, Montana State, Southern Utah, or North Dakota next year.

For the list of the rivals/press release:
http://bigskyconf.com/news/2011/4/28/FB_0428110957.aspx

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
1. Montana State (1)---As the good sports that the Bobcats are, they let Idaho State with the Bobcats' old coach hang around for, say, half of the first quarter. Then they turned on the jets and let the Bengals have it.

xlolx Wasn't ready for the sarcasm to start off the rankings. Almost made me spit coffee on my laptop.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Here's my take on it. A little different than some other opinions so far.

1. MSU (1) - dominating performance against a bottom feeder keeps the Bobcats atop the conference.

2. UM (2) - steamrolled Weber. Both MT teams seem to be firing on all cylinders, setting up what looks to be an epic Brawl of the Wild. xthumbsupx

3. PSU (6) - took it to the defending champs on their own field last week. The Vikings' potent offensive attack doesn't seem to be slowed much by the absence of McCaffrey.

4. EWU (3) - the Eagles' playoff dreams have officially ended at the hands of the Vikes. Surprising season for the defending champs.

The next 3 get a bit muddled for me and therefore differ from some other opinions.

5. WSU (4) - it was hard for me to keep them this high after getting shellacked by the Griz, but they have beat 3 of the 4 teams below them, including a beat down of Sac St. early on in the year. The team they haven't played yet, NAU, hasn't done enough to show they belong higher.

6. NAU (7) - I guess I'm the only one that has NAU over Sac St. I give them the nod due to the head-to-head victory @ Sac St., but they are neck and neck in my book.

7. Sac St. (5) - while Sac does have signature wins over the Griz and a pretty bad FBS team in OSU, one has to wonder if it was a fluke (and cajones going for 2 in OT). If they were able to beat the Griz at home back in Sept., how did a lowly NAU come to their house and squeak out a victory? They are on a slide and going to PSU doesn't figure to be where they stop it.

8. ISU (8) - After getting throttled by the 'Cats, I was tempted to drop them into the basement. But they still have 2 wins, including beating the Bears.

9. UNC (9) - The Bears are much improved lately and came oh so close to getting that 1st win over a decent Fighting Sioux team. Unfortunately, I can't reward moral victory, so until they get that win, they stay in the cellar.

Catbooster
November 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
That's what I'm hoping for. As more and more of his recruits come in and the existing players buy into his coaching more, I think we continue to improve every year. Hopefully the attendance of the games go up - Pocatello has a lot of pride for the Bengals but I don't hear anyone really talking about football games. I can foresee the excitement being back as Kramer continues his tenure.

In my opinion, this is Kramer's greatest strength and an important part of getting the program turned around - getting the fans/boosters fired up.

I wish the charter members of the Big Sky were all going to continue to play each other.

bobcathpdevil56
November 2nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
So is PSU gonna be able to get eligible for the playoffs, if not does any one why they scheduled two sub DI schools instead of getting one more game that would have helped them qualify? Did they just want to get a few more wins in the column, were they not anticipating being as tough as they are?

Ginsbach
November 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
In my opinion, this is Kramer's greatest strength and an important part of getting the program turned around - getting the fans/boosters fired up.

I wish the charter members of the Big Sky were all going to continue to play each other.

That would be fantastic to see. My undergraduate school had a very strong football tradition, so it was a bit of a change coming out here for my masters and seeing very little excitement about the football team. I hope you're right on that. It would be great for not only ISU but for the Big Sky as a whole - the less bottom feeders the better.

I agree with you on the last point - at least Idaho State/Weber State and Montana/Montana State play each other every year.

Squealofthepig
November 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
So is PSU gonna be able to get eligible for the playoffs, if not does any one why they scheduled two sub DI schools instead of getting one more game that would have helped them qualify? Did they just want to get a few more wins in the column, were they not anticipating being as tough as they are?

Reading through the PSU Viking's board, it appears that they had two teams back out games and were left scrambling - hence why they're possibly the first FCS school to ever schedule a non-scholarship, Division III school (Wilamette).

Walkon79
November 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Jalmond, when you sum it up so well, I don't know how we can get to 100 posts! xthumbsupx

We won't unless someone starts repsonding the TheIdiot, er I mean TheFan :)

bobcathpdevil56
November 2nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Gosh, that is tough, cause I think they are definitely a playoff caliber team. Would be nice to have 3 BSC teams make it in

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM

PSU can't make the playoffs. The 7 D-I wins isn't a rule necessarily, but you it may as well be. And with PSU's resume, they won't be the 1st less than 7-win team to get an at large. Scheduling 2 sub d-I was a mistake.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Reading through the PSU Viking's board, it appears that they had two teams back out games and were left scrambling - hence why they're possibly the first FCS school to ever schedule a non-scholarship, Division III school (Wilamette).

Slow in my response. GF talking career changes and moving or something or other. She lost me.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
We won't unless someone starts repsonding the TheIdiot, er I mean TheFan :)

Won't be me this time xthumbsupx Though I have to admit, he was right. UM should be ranked above MSU, cause the new CSJ still figures the Griz to win the BSC AQ. With that kind of evidentiary support, who am I to argue.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2011, 10:48 PM

Based on our track record, we would have replaced Willamette with an FBS team. From what I'm hearing, we scheduled them as a replacement for Colorado when the Buffs went to the Pac-12. Since 2004 the only FCS team we've played outside the Big Sky, other than UC-Davis was McNeese State in 2007. For some reason we will not schedule the FCS out of conference. Given that, instead of beating the DIII team, we would have lost to an FBS team.

Tod
November 3rd, 2011, 01:54 AM
Based on our track record, we would have replaced Willamette with an FBS team. From what I'm hearing, we scheduled them as a replacement for Colorado when the Buffs went to the Pac-12. Since 2004 the only FCS team we've played outside the Big Sky, other than UC-Davis was McNeese State in 2007. For some reason we will not schedule the FCS out of conference. Given that, instead of beating the DIII team, we would have lost to an FBS team.

This wouldn't be the first time PSU has scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. I'm sure you remember, JALMOND, back in 2005 PSU scheduled three FBS (or I-A) teams in OOC play. Beat New Mexico and lost to Cal, Oregon (or Oregon State), Montana and Montana State and finished 7-4. MSU got in because they beat you.

Walkon79
November 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Scheduleing OCC has always been difficult with west coast FCS teams. Might be easier if we all start playing against BSC teams not on our 13 team schedule next year.

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
This wouldn't be the first time PSU has scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. I'm sure you remember, JALMOND, back in 2005 PSU scheduled three FBS (or I-A) teams in OOC play. Beat New Mexico and lost to Cal, Oregon (or Oregon State), Montana and Montana State and finished 7-4. MSU got in because they beat you.

It was 2006, but don't remind me. Walsh's last year. My beef back then was not only with MSU, but the idea that the committee somehow thought Coastal Carolina and the second place Ohio Valley team both were more worthy than us. The Bobcats proved they belonged after winning in the first round and I can now accept that. The Big Sky should have had three teams in, no question.

Walkon79
November 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM
It was 2006, but don't remind me. Walsh's last year. My beef back then was not only with MSU, but the idea that the committee somehow thought Coastal Carolina and the second place Ohio Valley team both were more worthy than us. The Bobcats proved they belonged after winning in the first round and I can now accept that. The Big Sky should have had three teams in, no question.

Agreed. You guys got hosed that year!!

veinup
November 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Scheduleing OCC has always been difficult with west coast FCS teams. Might be easier if we all start playing against BSC teams not on our 13 team schedule next year.

yup.