PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Football in the future

blur2005
May 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM
So here I am staring in a crystal ball, trying to make sense of all the possible conference moves that could occur over the next half-decade or so in I-AA football (or whatever it will be called). With the A-10/CAA mess, the growth of the Southland possible, and more schools probably moving up, things will probably change every year.

But anyway, this is one possible result.

*School in conference creating football program or D-II school moving up.
(A) - Affiliate Member

America East/Atlantic East/Whatever the hell you want to call it- Auto
Albany
Massachusetts
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

One of the NEC schools (CCSU) could possibly fit in here, or if the CAA could manage to stay together with 12 teams, this could never happen.

Big Sky - Auto
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Sacramento State

Big South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian*
VMI

Adding Presbyterian would give them six, but it’s still pretty weak.

CAA - Auto
Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion*
Richmond (A)
Towson
Villanova (A)
William & Mary

It’s not a given that George Mason or Georgia State are going to add football, so I could see this. On the other hand, ODU’s addition might force the CAA to kick out Rhode Island or something, then the current A-10/CAA could stay at twelve teams.

Gateway - Auto
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky (Headed to the MAC as well? Or the Sun Belt?)
Youngstown State (if their threats are plausible, could be sitting at the bottom of the MAC instead)

If Western Kentucky leaves, and even Youngstown, you could see Eastern Illinois and/or Eastern Kentucky moving in here.

Great West
Cal-Poly
North Dakota*
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UC Davis
(San Diego – have to upgrade scholarships)

Adding North Dakota and possibly San Diego (if they man up) could put the Great West over the six team mark (with Northern Colorado in the Big Sky) and give them an auto possibly.

Ivy League
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Pennsylvania
Princeton
Yale

Hopefully the Ivies will come to their senses and play some playoff football.

MAAC
Duquesne
Iona
La Salle
Marist
St. Peter’s

MEAC - Auto
Bethune Cookman
Delaware State
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central*
Norfolk State
South Carolina State
Winton-Salem State*

With Florida A&M possibly looking to the SWAC, I thought that would work well enough with NCCU and Winston-Salem State coming up. It could split into divisions considering there are ten teams.

NEC
Central Connecticut
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Wagner

Ohio Valley - Auto
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Samford
SE Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

Could the HBCU(s) here possibly move?

Patriot League - Auto
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh

Pioneer
Austin Peay
Butler
Davidon
Dayton
Drake
Jacksonville
Morehead State
Valporaiso
(San Diego)

Again, the question is what the hell to do with San Diego if it doesn’t go full schollie with its program?

Southern Conference - Auto
Appalachian State
Elon
Furman
Georgia Southern
The Citadel
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Wofford

Could add Coastal, I guess, but I don’t know. Maybe even Jacksonville State.

Southland Conference - Auto
East
Central Arkansas
Lamar*
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana

West
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
Texas-Arlington*
Texas-San Antonio*
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi*
Texas State

I take my greatest liberties here. With all the talent and money in football in Texas, I know A&M-CC is going to do it and UTA, UTSA, and Lamar are looking at it.

SWAC
East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Florida A&M (moved from MEAC)
Jackson State
Tuskegee*

West
Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Grambling
Mississippi Valley State
Prairie View A&M
Southern
Texas Southern

Florida A&M moving and Tuskegee moving up make this work

So if this were to happen, what about the playoffs. There could be as many as 11 autobids in here (even 13 if the Ivy and SWAC joined in), so that would probably lead to a growth in the playoffs.

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I could nine auto-bids, how you going to pull that off??

Southland Conference - Auto
East
Central Arkansas
Lamar*
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana

West
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
Texas-Arlington*
Texas-San Antonio*
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi*
Texas State

I take my greatest liberties here. With all the talent and money in football in Texas, I know A&M-CC is going to do it and UTA, UTSA, and Lamar are looking at it.

Not sure I'd like the conference that big! I wouldn't mind ten teams where each team plays nine games (five SLC games each week), but that'd be if we got a 12-game schedule.

I think in the next five years, we could very well get atleast two of the four non-FB schools to play football. From my seat, I want to say Lamar is a sure-fire bet hearing all the stuff coming from them. As long as they bounce back strong in the next year financially and FEMA pays up as they said they would, they'll get football by 2010, 2012...

A&M-CC, UTSA or UT-Arlington. One of those schools could get football. I think the big issue in Arlington is replacing Texas Hall with a legitimate arena/convocation center. UTSA has it's sights on I-A football and A&M-CC, we'll see what the new AD brings in. If he has a football background, we may just see football on the Island if they hit 10,000 as quick as they'd like...

blur2005
May 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM

If you mean how'd I count, any conference with six teams that are no longer in the process of moving up can receive an auto-bid eventually (I'm not certain how long). I was jumping ahead of myself on the total number (as some conferences will still have longer to wait), but eventually I guess it could be that many.

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
If you mean how'd I count, any conference with six teams that are no longer in the process of moving up can receive an auto-bid eventually (I'm not certain how long). I was jumping ahead of myself on the total number (as some conferences will still have longer to wait), but eventually I guess it could be that many.

Opps, meant "count" instead of "could"...

I'll avoid going further into it, just wanted to bring it up. I want to avoid that whole "expand the playoffs" debate again...:nonono2:

FYI, you forgot Winston Salem State...to the MEAC and what about Savannah St? They may end up in the MEAC, but nothing is certain...

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 09:39 PM
There will be no America East Football if there are only 6 members (or even 7). IMO, there will need to be at least 9 members, 6 of which will have to be all-sport members for this new football conference to form.

The CAA will most likely add some members depending who (if any) members they lose. If they only lose the New England schools, then they will likely stay at 8 members until Old Domion takes the field to make 9. If they lose more, then they will most likely be searching for new conference members (Appalachian State? Western Carolina?) Also, don't assume that Villanova will be staying in the CAA for football no matter what Delaware fans tell ya.;)

89Hen
May 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Also, don't assume that Villanova will be staying in the CAA for football no matter what Delaware fans tell ya.;)
I couldn't care less if Nova left. :nod:

Pard4Life
May 5th, 2006, 10:19 PM
There is always outside speculation of the PL bringing in an eighth team. I doubt it would ever happen, but Duquesne and Marist are always casually mentioned due to speculation of the MAAC dumping football. Just thought you should know.

mainejeff
May 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I couldn't care less if Nova left. :nod:

I hear ya. I don't think that the long term prospects for that program are very bright IMO. I don't think that Nova will be associate member of America East Football......they will most likely stay associated with the CAA although I don't think that it is written in stone.

OL FU
May 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
If the GWFC gets and keeps six teams and continues to play as strong as they have the past couple of years, it would seem conceivale that they would take the auto bid from a conference that currently has an auto.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
If the GWFC gets and keeps six teams and continues to play as strong as they have the past couple of years, it would seem conceivale that they would take the auto bid from a conference that currently has an auto.

Which conference would that be? OVC? MEAC? Patriot?

I don't think you can take away a berth from the SLC, SoCon, A10, Big Sky and Gateway...

89rabbit
May 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
So here I am staring in a crystal ball, trying to make sense of all the possible conference moves that could occur over the next half-decade or so in I-AA football (or whatever it will be called). With the A-10/CAA mess, the growth of the Southland possible, and more schools probably moving up, things will probably change every year.

But anyway, this is one possible result.

(A) - Affiliate Member

Gateway - Auto
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky (Headed to the MAC as well? Or the Sun Belt?)
Youngstown State (if their threats are plausible, could be sitting at the bottom of the MAC instead)

If Western Kentucky leaves, and even Youngstown, you could see Eastern Illinois and/or Eastern Kentucky moving in here.

Great West
Cal-Poly
North Dakota*
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UC Davis
(San Diego – have to upgrade scholarships)

Adding North Dakota and possibly San Diego (if they man up) could put the Great West over the six team mark (with Northern Colorado in the Big Sky) and give them an auto possibly.

If Western Kentucky and Youngstown State move on (and especially if they both move) you could see NDSU and SDSU get invites to join the Gateway.

OL FU
May 6th, 2006, 04:18 PM

I don't think you can take away a berth from the SLC, SoCon, A10, Big Sky and Gateway...

That is a good question. There would definitely be political ramifications, not to mention hurt feelings. At present the GWFC is better than the OVC and MEAC and maybe the Patriot. But if the auto was taken from the MEAC then the SWAC MEAC championship game is a no-brainer.

Maybe I should have said the GWFC would deserve an auto.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
That is a good question. There would definitely be political ramifications, not to mention hurt feelings. At present the GWFC is better than the OVC and MEAC and maybe the Patriot. But if the auto was taken from the MEAC then the SWAC MEAC championship game is a no-brainer.

Maybe I should have said the GWFC would deserve an auto.

I could see the Heritage Bowl coming to reality for sure if they lose the auto-bid. I think it would definitely cause a big stink. GWFC would definitely be deserving of an auto-bid if they qualify for it...

May 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I think the Heritage Bowl will happen regardless. But it seems a non-playoff MEAC would be representing in that game.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I think the Heritage Bowl will happen regardless. But it seems a non-playoff MEAC would be representing in that game.

So the #2 MEAC team (possibly #3 MEAC team) vs the #1 SWAC team?

That stinks...the game would have absolutely no meaning...even more so the case, if they throw the tag of HBCU National Championship on it...because as we know, Div II teams would be left in the dark (despite being HBCU national champs before) and you wouldn't even have the MEAC champ or #2 team in some years in the game...

May 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
HBCU National Championship is silly if it is just D-I teams. But let's not sidetrack this thread.

McTailGator
May 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Not sure I'd like the conference that big! I wouldn't mind ten teams where each team plays nine games (five SLC games each week), but that'd be if we got a 12-game schedule.

I think in the next five years, we could very well get atleast two of the four non-FB schools to play football. From my seat, I want to say Lamar is a sure-fire bet hearing all the stuff coming from them. As long as they bounce back strong in the next year financially and FEMA pays up as they said they would, they'll get football by 2010, 2012...

A&M-CC, UTSA or UT-Arlington. One of those schools could get football. I think the big issue in Arlington is replacing Texas Hall with a legitimate arena/convocation center. UTSA has it's sights on I-A football and A&M-CC, we'll see what the new AD brings in. If he has a football background, we may just see football on the Island if they hit 10,000 as quick as they'd like...

Just because there are 12 teams in a conference, does not mean you need to play all of them every year.

I don't ever see UTSA playing football, and I see TxSU moving to 1-a (little a on purpose).

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Just because there are 12 teams in a conference, does not mean you need to play all of them every year.

I just don't want division play. The way things are in BKB and VB with 12 teams, we won't play SFA twice each year. I wouldn't want to not play SFA in football considering the Lamar/SFA swap every two years..

Don't want that chance to present itself with divisional play...

TheValleyRaider
May 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Let's try it a little differently, with added schools only being the ones we know reasonably are coming.

This list is (I think):
ODU
NC Central
Winston-Salem State
Presbyterian
Campbell
Anyone else, esp. the SLC schools, is hearsay and rumor at this point. For arguments sake, we'll keep anyone from jumping to I-A.

(A) - Affiliate Member

America East/Atlantic East/Whatever the hell you want to call it
Albany
Massachusetts
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Big Sky
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Sacramento State

Big South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian*
VMI

CAA
Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion*
Richmond (A)
Towson
Villanova (A)
William & Mary

Gateway
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State

Great West
Cal-Poly
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Ivy League
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Pennsylvania
Princeton
Yale

MAAC
Duquesne
Iona
La Salle
Marist
St. Peter’s

MEAC
Bethune Cookman
Delaware State
Florida A&M
HamptonHoward
Morgan State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central*
Norfolk State
South Carolina State
Winton-Salem State*

NEC
Central Connecticut
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Wagner

Ohio Valley
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Samford
SE Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

Patriot League
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh

Pioneer
Butler
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Jacksonville
Morehead State
Valparaiso
San Diego

Southern Conference
Appalachian State
Elon
Furman
Georgia Southern
The Citadel
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Wofford

Southland Conference
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas State

SWAC
East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Mississippi Valley State
Jackson State

West
Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Grambling
Prairie View A&M
Southern
Texas Southern

This leaves two teams without homes in Campbell and Savannah State.

I've bolded a few of what I'd say are the more key programs.
-The Dakota States could potentially find themselves in the Big Sky or Gateway. In either case, leaving would irrepareably damage the GWFC, probably killing it all together. Their best shot at continued survival is the arrival of UND and possibly USD and St. Cloud. The return of old rivals could continue to make the GWFC an attractive home.
-Duquesne and Marist have made or are making steps towards being more competitive. I know Marist wants to begin to step up its national profile, and bigger football could be part of that. I wonder about the other teams in the MAAC, and if Marist or Duquesne (or both) decided to upgrade, possibly merging with the NEC, getting invites to the PL (well, Marist at least) or jumping up to the new "America East", I think it's possible St. Peter's, Iona and LaSalle could just drop football, sad as that sounds. This is NOT a rumor, just really wild speculation on my part.
-DSU, FAMU and Hampton are names I've heard bandied about for possibly leaving the MEAC. SC State might be part of that too, but I'm not sure. Could their stop possibly be the Big South? That suddenly becomes a more viable conference playoff-wise.
-It's interesting that you left CCSU and Monmouth in the NEC when they've been making the same stepped up committment of Albany and Stony Brook. I could easily see them joining a new Eastern Conference, giving it a large enough membership to be stable while adding some decent teams. This could lead to a merger of the remaining NEC teams and the MAAC as described above.
-San Diego remains a mystery in the PFL, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to step up to the GWFC, or if they freeze and just remain where they are. Either way, they become another big piece in the puzzle of Western conferences.
-Until I see UTA or TAMU-CC or Lamar or whoever say they're starting football, then we can talk about splitting the SLC. Until then, that's a solid 8 team conference.
-Something about the SWAC expanding just does not seem possible to me. I have no basis to back that up, just a feeling, but I don't seem them taking anyone new anytime soon. Nor do I see too many suitors.
-If there's a home for Campbell, it's either the PFL or the Big South. I have a hard time picturing them anywhere else.
-SSU I believe was recently visited by MEAC officials. If they're taken in there, I can see the MEAC splitting into divisions like the SWAC, unless of course the schools I mentioned above leave.

:dizzy:

blukeys
May 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Let's try it a little differently, with added schools only being the ones we know reasonably are coming.

This list is (I think):
ODU
NC Central
Winston-Salem State
Presbyterian
Campbell
Anyone else, esp. the SLC schools, is hearsay and rumor at this point. For arguments sake, we'll keep anyone from jumping to I-A.

(A) - Affiliate Member

Albany
Massachusetts
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Big Sky
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Sacramento State

Big South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian*
VMI

CAA
Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion*
Richmond (A)
Towson
Villanova (A)
William & Mary

Gateway
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State

Great West
Cal-Poly
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Ivy League
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Pennsylvania
Princeton
Yale

MAAC
Duquesne
Iona
La Salle
Marist
St. Peter’s

MEAC
Bethune Cookman
Delaware State
Florida A&M
HamptonHoward
Morgan State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central*
Norfolk State
South Carolina State
Winton-Salem State*

NEC
Central Connecticut
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Wagner

Ohio Valley
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Samford
SE Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

Patriot League
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh

Pioneer
Butler
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Jacksonville
Morehead State
Valparaiso
San Diego

Southern Conference
Appalachian State
Elon
Furman
Georgia Southern
The Citadel
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Wofford

Southland Conference
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas State

SWAC
East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Mississippi Valley State
Jackson State

West
Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Grambling
Prairie View A&M
Southern
Texas Southern

-The Dakota States could potentially find themselves in the Big Sky or Gateway. In either case, leaving would irrepareably damage the GWFC, probably killing it all together. Their best shot at continued survival is the arrival of UND and possibly USD and St. Cloud. The return of old rivals could continue to make the GWFC an attractive home.
-Duquesne and Marist have made or are making steps towards being more competitive. I know Marist wants to begin to step up its national profile, and bigger football could be part of that. I wonder about the other teams in the MAAC, and if Marist or Duquesne (or both) decided to upgrade, possibly merging with the NEC, getting invites to the PL (well, Marist at least) or jumping up to the new "America East", I think it's possible St. Peter's, Iona and LaSalle could just drop football, sad as that sounds. This is NOT a rumor, just really wild speculation on my part.
-DSU, FAMU and Hampton are names I've heard bandied about for possibly leaving the MEAC. SC State might be part of that too, but I'm not sure. Could their stop possibly be the Big South? That suddenly becomes a more viable conference playoff-wise.
-It's interesting that you left CCSU and Monmouth in the NEC when they've been making the same stepped up committment of Albany and Stony Brook. I could easily see them joining a new Eastern Conference, giving it a large enough membership to be stable while adding some decent teams. This could lead to a merger of the remaining NEC teams and the MAAC as described above.
-San Diego remains a mystery in the PFL, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to step up to the GWFC, or if they freeze and just remain where they are. Either way, they become another big piece in the puzzle of Western conferences.
-Until I see UTA or TAMU-CC or Lamar or whoever say they're starting football, then we can talk about splitting the SLC. Until then, that's a solid 8 team conference.
-Something about the SWAC expanding just does not seem possible to me. I have no basis to back that up, just a feeling, but I don't seem them taking anyone new anytime soon. Nor do I see too many suitors.
-If there's a home for Campbell, it's either the PFL or the Big South. I have a hard time picturing them anywhere else.
-SSU I believe was recently visited by MEAC officials. If they're taken in there, I can see the MEAC splitting into divisions like the SWAC, unless of course the schools I mentioned above leave.

This is as good a breakdown as I have seen. First, I think the CAA affiliates will give the league a few years to see if the new league helps their respective programs. No one can do worse than Linda Bruno at promoting A-10 Football. Depending on the expectations of the affiliates and the performance of the CAA, the CAA may be bigger and more stable than most expect. Hampton and DSU are keeping their options open with good reason. Their HBCU connection is one of their ties to the MEAC but both schools have a lot of options and in the Case of DSU they have an administration willing to explore the options.

Albany, Monmouth, and SBU have definitely changed the equation in the Mid Atlantic. Albany has the profile of a typical CAA school and they could also look into a new conference. In many ways the Northeast/MidAtlantic is inheriting an expansive situation that the folks out west can only envy. The Pl, CAA, and Ivies are starting to have a wealth of OOC opponents that can give all a competitive schedule that gives a team a leg up in getting a playoff slot.

I hope UND and some other Western Schools move up so that our I-AA West teams can benefit.

mainejeff
May 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
This is as good a breakdown as I have seen. First, I think the CAA affiliates will give the league a few years to see if the new league helps their respective programs. No one can do worse than Linda Bruno at promoting A-10 Football. Depending on the expectations of the affiliates and the performance of the CAA, the CAA may be bigger and more stable than most expect. Hampton and DSU are keeping their options open with good reason. Their HBCU connection is one of their ties to the MEAC but both schools have a lot of options and in the Case of DSU they have an administration willing to explore the options.

Albany, Monmouth, and SBU have definitely changed the equation in the Mid Atlantic. Albany has the profile of a typical CAA school and they could also look into a new conference. In many ways the Northeast/MidAtlantic is inheriting an expansive situation that the folks out west can only envy. The Pl, CAA, and Ivies are starting to have a wealth of OOC opponents that can give all a competitive schedule that gives a team a leg up in getting a playoff slot.

I hope UND and some other Western Schools move up so that our I-AA West teams can benefit.

At this point, I think that CAA Football will have the current line-up of schools though 2008. Things will probably change for 2009.

blukeys
May 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM
At this point, I think that CAA Football will have the current line-up of schools though 2008. Things will probably change for 2009.

I hope the CAA affilliates give the CAA a decent chance to promote the football product which, in my view, helps all of I-AA. If for some reason the affliates believe there is a better offer out there I would not begrudge a move. Personally, I hate any move that ends a Maine - UD rivalry or a UD - UNH rivalry. :(

mainejeff
May 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I hope the CAA affilliates give the CAA a decent chance to promote the football product which, in my view, helps all of I-AA. If for some reason the affliates believe there is a better offer out there I would not begrudge a move. Personally, I hate any move that ends a Maine - UD rivalry or a UD - UNH rivalry. :(

All good things must come to an end. All I know is that America East Football will be at least 8 or 9 teams if it happens at all. I have to laugh at those that think there will be only 6 members. That just won't happen.....it would be too risky.

ccd494
May 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM

I don't think that any move would be precipitated by the AE/New England teams. It would be the CAA having allsports members add programs, creating a dearth of space.

chrisattsu
May 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Remember TT, according the crap passed by the student body this last month, within 10 years will be D1-A or risk losing that money.

blur2005
May 7th, 2006, 02:28 AM

This list is (I think):
ODU
NC Central
Winston-Salem State
Presbyterian
Campbell

(A) - Affiliate Member

Albany
Massachusetts
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Big Sky
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Sacramento State

Big South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian*
VMI

CAA
Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion*
Richmond (A)
Towson
Villanova (A)
William & Mary

Gateway
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State

Great West
Cal-Poly
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Ivy League
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Pennsylvania
Princeton
Yale

MAAC
Duquesne
Iona
La Salle
Marist
St. Peter’s

MEAC
Bethune Cookman
Delaware State
Florida A&M
HamptonHoward
Morgan State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central*
Norfolk State
South Carolina State
Winton-Salem State*

NEC
Central Connecticut
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Wagner

Ohio Valley
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Samford
SE Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

Patriot League
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh

Pioneer
Butler
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Jacksonville
Morehead State
Valparaiso
San Diego

Southern Conference
Appalachian State
Elon
Furman
Georgia Southern
The Citadel
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Wofford

Southland Conference
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas State

SWAC
East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Mississippi Valley State
Jackson State

West
Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Grambling
Prairie View A&M
Southern
Texas Southern

A little clearer than what I did. There were some things I wasn't aware of or sure of that are changed in here.

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Remember TT, according the crap passed by the student body this last month, within 10 years will be D1-A or risk losing that money.

The ASG (Associated Student Government) has no legitimate say in what happens at their institution.

They can suggest that all the want, but there's no chance that within the next five years (it was five, not ten), that the Bobcats move up unless there's lots of changes that occur. I don't think anyone in San Marcos wants a Sun Belt invite...

Saint3333
May 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM

That should be just about the time all the athletic improvements will be completed for ASU hmmmmm.... talk about great timing.

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
That should be just about the time all the athletic improvements will be completed for ASU hmmmmm.... talk about great timing.

I think that there is a VERY good chance that you'll see Appalachian State in the CAA eventually and yes, possibly by 2009.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Agree 100%!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM
All good things must come to an end. All I know is that America East Football will be at least 8 or 9 teams if it happens at all. I have to laugh at those that think there will be only 6 members. That just won't happen.....it would be too risky.

I know I'm one of the people you're referring to, so I'll ask again who are the other members going to be that allows AE Football to have those 8 or 9 teams?

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Agree 100%!!!

The Delaware/UNH rivalry will likely continue no matter what happens. UNH has demonstrated its willingness to play in Newark with no return game. I would imagine that type of set-up will continue if the 2 schools are not in the same conference.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I know I'm one of the people you're referring to, so I'll ask again who are the other members going to be that allows AE Football to have those 8 or 9 teams?

Jeff, did you miss this post? Can you name even some serious candidates for AE Football beyond the six always mentioned?

mainejeff
May 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I can name them, but I'm not going to for fear of being ripped a new........we'll all know soon enough.;)

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Jeff, did you miss this post? Can you name even some serious candidates for AE Football beyond the six always mentioned?

The whole reason there is a CAA football conference is thanks to the fact that the America East Conference let the Hartfords, Vermonts and Binghamtons dictate to the football schools that the AE should not sponsor football. We could have the same conference lineup that the CAA will have in 2007 had the AE stood up to the Basketball schools of the AE back in 2000. That didn't happen.

The America East Conference could have had the premiere football conference in the nation and they kicked it away as if it was a diseased dog. Is it any wonder that schools such as W&M, JMU, UD, Hofstra, and Northeastern started to look at other options. As long as conferences have non-football playing programs dictating what sports will be sponsored and played there will be problems.

As I have already been on record as saying, the current A-10/CAA football programs need to look long term at all-sports arrangements and not just geographic convenience. I would rather see Maine in basketball then VCU, a team that I have no idea where they are from.)
Rivalries work when you know something about another team. The current AE move is counterproductive to the excellent Yankee/A-10/CAA rivalries that have developed over 20+ years. Will UNH fans still get the same excitement when playing Albany and SBU instead of Delaware, Nova, Hofstra, and JMU?

I don't think so.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Blu,

No doubt that AE screwed the pooch when they didn't sponsor football. But in fairness I don't think Binghamton was on the scene at that time. Feel free to insert Boston University into that argument though, they were involved!!

Even though that 15 team AE that would have resulted from the merger with the CAA remaining after they lost American and Navy (IIRC) was too big, my first reaction was "great, we'll get to play W&M, Richmond and JMU in all sports" (recognizing that playing UMass, URI and Villanova was not feasible). I agree with you 100% that playing all sports with your football league partners really develops rivalries.

UNH fans might get some level of excitement when playing Albany and SBU instead of Delaware, Nova, Hofstra, and JMU because of five years together now in AE and because they are like minded public institutions within the Northeast footprint, but the long term football fans like me won't. I'll grow into playing football against UA and SBU, but it's the other three teams that I really worry about! I don't view the collection of schools being mentioned as like minded, just geographically closer. There's no way they can match playing Northeastern, Delaware, Nova, Hofstra, Richmond, Towson, W&M and JMU! And I've already pontificated my views about maintaining a high level of play at UNH. And I worry about UMass staying onboard with an AE scenario for football.

I'm with you 100% Blu and I sure hope a bunch of folks in Durham are too!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I can name them, but I'm not going to for fear of being ripped a new........we'll all know soon enough.;)

Maybe if your earlier posts had some better supporting arguments rather than "we'll all know soon enough" type comments and winking emoticons, then you wouldn't get ripped a new one. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your previous posting of Northeastern and Hofstra as potential all sports AE members was offset by multiple replies from members from those two schools and other schools who gave very strong arguments why it wouldn't happen. Without something more detailed and substantial in response, how is anybody supposed to believe that a quality AE Football Conference is feasible? :confused: :confused:

Feel free to email me with details, I won't rip you a new one. I won't guarantee that I'll see your AE conference is in UNH's best interests, but I'll listen and be open-minded. Until that happens, I'll keep the opinion that CAA Football is the best option for UNH.

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Blu,

No doubt that AE screwed the pooch when they didn't sponsor football. But in fairness I don't think Binghamton was on the scene at that time. Feel free to insert Boston University into that argument though, they were involved!!

Even though that 15 team AE that would have resulted from the merger with the CAA remaining after they lost American and Navy (IIRC) was too big, my first reaction was "great, we'll get to play W&M, Richmond and JMU in all sports" (recognizing that playing UMass, URI and Villanova was not feasible). I agree with you 100% that playing all sports with your football league partners really develops rivalries.

UNH fans might get some level of excitement when playing Albany and SBU instead of Delaware, Nova, Hofstra, and JMU because of five years together now in AE and because they are like minded public institutions within the Northeast footprint, but the long term football fans like me won't. I'll grow into playing football against UA and SBU, but it's the other three teams that I really worry about! I don't view the collection of schools being mentioned as like minded, just geographically closer. There's no way they can match playing Northeastern, Delaware, Nova, Hofstra, Richmond, Towson, W&M and JMU! And I've already pontificated my views about maintaining a high level of play at UNH. And I worry about UMass staying onboard with an AE scenario for football.

I'm with you 100% Blu and I sure hope a bunch of folks in Durham are too!

Personally, I have no problem with Albany and/or SBU in an expanded CAA or America East. I really don't care what you call it!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with the America East was the basketball schools. The same problem could occur in the CAA although currently the football schools have the momentum. (To the benefit of all of I-AA in my view.)

Our Buddy MaineJeff is totally dissing the CAA before a single CAA game is played. He didn't diss Linda Bruno and the A-10 incompetents while they were running the A-10, but he has passed judgement on the CAA before a single game is played. I don't get this. Why is the CAA inferior to the A-10 for football playing schools?

For the record "How Many 2006 A-10 teams were in the basketball Final Four vs. the CAA????"

How did the America East's representative do in the 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament???

I have been on record many times to say that an all sports conference that matches the current a-10/CAA football schools is in the best interest for all the schools involved. The only way this happens is if the New England affiliates stay involved in the CAA. Albany and SBU also make sense in a long term scenario.

No football school should sacrifice anything to the likes of Hartford, Vermont, VCU, or UNC- Wilmington.

Why not let these guys have their own basketball only conference?

That is what they want!!! Let them have it!!!

An all sports conference of the current CAA teams makes a lot of sense and would get fannies in the stands in all sports. The talk of dumping Northern teams from the CAA needs to end and the talk about dumping the basketball only teams from the CAA needs to commence. Let them join the AE!!!! (They would kick ass!)

In the Long term all schools are looking for affilations in ALL SPORTS. I think for football schools their football rivals should be the beginning point for all Conference Affiliations in all sports.

That is the way it is done in the ACC, Big 10, Pac10, etc,,,,,,,,,,

May 8th, 2006, 06:21 AM
...In the Long term all schools are looking for affilations in ALL SPORTS. I think for football schools their football rivals should be the beginning point for all Conference Affiliations in all sports...
X _______________ Co-sign :nod:

Pard4Life
May 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM

The Patriot League auto-bid is not going anywhere. The quality of play and league rankings are too high. If anything, at-larges are going to decrease. The NEC recently instituted scholarship football so it will likely be a matter of time before they recieve an auto-bid.

aceinthehole
May 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
The Patriot League auto-bid is not going anywhere. The quality of play and league rankings are too high. If anything, at-larges are going to decrease. The NEC recently instituted scholarship football so it will likely be a matter of time before they recieve an auto-bid.

No one (PL, MEAC, or OVC) is losing an auto bid. Also, the current NCAA rules don't allow the addition of autobids at the expense of at-larges. So...

When the time comes due to the the NEC, Ivy, Great West, CAA split, or something else - the playoffs will have to expand. IMO - its not a question of if, but when, and how many (20, 24, 32?).

The format and structure of the playoffs will have to change in the future (as well will some conference memberships).

89Hen
May 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
When the time comes due to the the NEC, Ivy, Great West, CAA split, or something else - the playoffs will have to expand. IMO - its not a question of if, but when, and how many (20, 24, 32?).

The format and structure of the playoffs will have to change in the future (as well will some conference memberships).
Agreed. The only thing that would prevent this is if a lot of teams moved to I-A and teams like CCSU, SBU, AU, etc... got swallowed up by existing conferences.

89Hen
May 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM
In the Long term all schools are looking for affilations in ALL SPORTS. I think for football schools their football rivals should be the beginning point for all Conference Affiliations in all sports.

Something I've been begging for the Hens for a long time. And it's closer than ever. :nod:

henfan
May 8th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I would not bet money on any of the above 3 statements and certainly not #2. According to NCAA D-I Bylaws, the number of at-large births cannot possibly decrease unless the total number of playoff bids also decrease. By rule, at-large slots must be at least 50% of the field.

Because of the number of weeks involved in the I-AA regular season, the possibility that a 12th game might yet still be added, the length of the post-season as it is and the timing with the BCS Bowl schedule, an increase in the number of teams eligible for the I-AA playoffs is unlikely unless the NCAA begins awarding bye for the first round.

I would not assume that every eligible conference will always receive an auto bid. There's no guarantee of that, as far as I'm aware. At some point the number of eligible conferences might exceed 8 and it could require the NCAA to more clearly define the criteria for conferences being awarded auto bids. (Hope that's the case.)

There no reason to assume that any one conference will always and forever continue receiving an auto bid. Auto bids are awarded on an annual basis.

colgate13
May 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Not exactly. Maybe in the 'major' sports, but the Big 10 isn't all sports at all schools across the board. For example, there is no Big 10 ice hockey, and Big 10 men's gymnastics consists of 6 schools (women's has 7).

The ACC is also only 3 (4 if you count the one in trouble) lacrosse schools.

I could be wrong, but I actually think the Ivy is the best representation of schools playing all sports together, with ice hockey being strange without Penn or Columbia.

henfan
May 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
The Delaware/UNH rivalry will likely continue no matter what happens. UNH has demonstrated its willingness to play in Newark with no return game. I would imagine that type of set-up will continue if the 2 schools are not in the same conference.

Hasn't UMaine, UMass, Hofstra, and Rhody also played noncon road games in Newark for no return dates? It's not a bad deal if a school can get more money on the guarantee from UD than they could on a home gate. It's all about the dead presidents.

dbackjon
May 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Very much agree with this. That is the way the Big Sky is, and we are a much more stable conference because of it.

One thing I noticed this year was that many of the conferences that have mixed membership, the non-football schools did the best in basketball - probably because they can devote more resources to basketball. This creates an unlevel playing field within the conference.

dbackjon
May 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
2005-2006 I-AA schools in mixed conferences - basketball standings - full scholarship schools in bold:

America East
Albany (limited schollies)
Binghampton
Hartford
Boston U
UNH

Atlantic-10
Top 7 schools are non-football schools

Big South
Winthrop
Birmingham Southern
Coastal Carolina

Colonial
UNC-Wilmington
George Mason
Hofstra
Old Dominon
Northeastern
VCU
Drexel

4 of bottom 5 are I-AA members

Horizon
Only I-AA Schollie member, YSU, was last

Mid-Continent
SUU -- 5th
WIU -- last

Missouri Valley
Wichita State
Missouri State
Southern Ill
Creighton
Northern Iowa
Bradley
Drake
Evansville
Indiana State
Illinois State

Southern
North Divison
Elon
Chattanooga
South Division
Georgia Southern
Davidson
Charleston

Southland

One of the few mixed conferences where football schools dominated - taking top 4 spots.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I would not bet money on any of the above 3 statements and certainly not #2. According to NCAA D-I Bylaws, the number of at-large births cannot possibly decrease unless the total number of playoff bids also decrease. By rule, at-large slots must be at least 50% of the field.

I would not assume that every eligible conference will always receive an auto bid. There's no guarantee of that, as far as I'm aware. At some point the number of eligible conferences might exceed 8 and it could require the NCAA to more clearly define the criteria for conferences being awarded auto bids. (Hope that's the case.)

There no reason to assume that any one conference will always and forever continue receiving an auto bid. Auto bids are awarded on an annual basis.

A valid point, but who is going to go to the commissioner of the (say) OVC, MEAC, Patriot, or some other conference, stare in their face and say, "Sorry, you're not going to keep your autobid, because, quite frankly, your conference has done a crappy job and you don't deserre it?"

Folks are talking about yanking autobids from people as if it's going to be easy. It won't be. You try to yank an OVC bid away, then they will say, "Why us? Why not the MEAC/Patriot/Southland/Gateway?"

Personally, I don;t think you'll ever yank autobids away from anyone. It would take cohones that have hitherto never been displayed.

TheValleyRaider
May 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
2005-2006 I-AA schools in mixed conferences - basketball standings - full scholarship schools in bold:

America East
Albany (limited schollies)
Binghampton
Hartford
Boston U
UNH

Atlantic-10
Top 7 schools are non-football schools

Big South
Winthrop
Birmingham Southern
Coastal Carolina

Colonial
UNC-Wilmington
George Mason
Hofstra
Old Dominon
Northeastern
VCU
Drexel

4 of bottom 5 are I-AA members

Horizon
Only I-AA Schollie member, YSU, was last

Mid-Continent
SUU -- 5th
WIU -- last

Missouri Valley
Wichita State
Missouri State
Southern Ill
Creighton
Northern Iowa
Bradley
Drake
Evansville
Indiana State
Illinois State

Southern
North Divison
Elon
Chattanooga
South Division
Georgia Southern
Davidson
Charleston

Southland

One of the few mixed conferences where football schools dominated - taking top 4 spots.

You missed us. No schollies for FB yet, but still equivalencies. Don't remember the estimated #s, but the highest is Colgate and Lehigh at around 55.
Patriot League
Bucknell
Holy Cross
Lehigh
American (I-AAA)
Lafayette
Colgate
Navy (I-A FB)
Army (I-A FB)

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned that there is no way Eastern Illinois rejoins the Gateway. They left for a reason. Give us the dakotas.

dbackjon
May 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
You missed us. No schollies for FB yet, but still equivalencies. Don't remember the estimated #s, but the highest is Colgate and Lehigh at around 55.
Patriot League
Bucknell
Holy Cross
Lehigh
American (I-AAA)
Lafayette
Colgate
Navy (I-A FB)
Army (I-A FB)

I excluded the Patriot league because only American doesn't play football - not the case in the other leagues where multiple members don't play football.

blur2005
May 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned that there is no way Eastern Illinois rejoins the Gateway. They left for a reason. Give us the dakotas.
I didn't realize Eastern Illinois left. I thought about it when I originally wrote up the post that started this, but didn't do it.

henfan
May 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
A valid point, but who is going to go to the commissioner of the (say) OVC, MEAC, Patriot, or some other conference, stare in their face and say, "Sorry, you're not going to keep your autobid, because, quite frankly, your conference has done a crappy job and you don't deserre it?"

Personally, I don't think it'll ever come to that. The I-AA PSC eventually will be forced to more clearly define the criteria used to determine how it awards auto-bids to eligible conferences. That's a good thing.

In any case, that process will be much easier than trying to get buy-in for additional playoff slots/a longer playoff season.

blur2005
May 11th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Ohio Valley - Auto
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Samford
SE Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

I didn't realize Austin Peay was joining the OVC for football in 2007, so does this mean the OVC will operate as a 10-team league, or is someone leaving?

MplsBison
May 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I think the Big Sky could look like this in the future:

West:
Sac State
Portland State
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Idaho State
Northern Arizona

East:
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado

blur2005
May 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I think the Big Sky could look like this in the future:

West:
Sac State
Portland State
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Idaho State
Northern Arizona

East:
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado
I originally had that, but I decided that perhaps the Great West would stay intact.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Doubtful.

NDSU and SDSU aren't sticking around.

SUU, Cal Poly, and Cal Davis are going to be independants in I-AA, move up to I-A, or drop football.

I could see SUU dropping football to be like UVSC and other I-AAA schools. I could see Davis moving up to I-A with Sac State once both of those schools have their new stadiums done (and both schools are very close to each other, a good package deal for a conference).

As for Poly, it's tough because right now they're having so much success on the feild. However, they have a horrible stadium (though aparantly it's getting upgraded), low fan interest, and an inability to get quality opponents to play in SLO. I think they're going to be I-AA independants for a while. It hasn't hurt them the last two seasons when they made the playoffs last year and got robbed the year before.

RabidRabbit
May 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Doubtful.

SUU, Cal Poly, and Cal Davis are going to be independants in I-AA, move up to I-A, or drop football.

I could see SUU dropping football to be like UVSC and other I-AAA schools. I could see Davis moving up to I-A with Sac State once both of those schools have their new stadiums done (and both schools are very close to each other, a good package deal for a conference).

As for Poly, it's tough because right now they're having so much success on the feild. However, they have a horrible stadium (though aparantly it's getting upgraded), low fan interest, and an inability to get quality opponents to play in SLO. I think they're going to be I-AA independants for a while. It hasn't hurt them the last two seasons when they made the playoffs last year and got robbed the year before.

GWFC must obtain more than the current 5 members to continue. It would very much be to 1-AA/PCS benefit to have growth space in a conference out west. Big Sky, at 9 members is basically full. Could grow to 12 members (which is attractive in BB), but then there is zero space for additional football schools to have a conference west of the Rockies. Unfortunately, there's currently 15 schools out west playing football. U San Diego, non-schollies tho, so struggling because of travel to find competition. UC-Davis and Poly are happy with Big West for all but football.

If do not soon add a 6th or more members to GWFC, SDSU & NDSU would have to jump should either Big Sky or Gateway would invite for football. Get to 6 schools and start with auto-bid, then may be able to keep GWFC alive, but getting to auto-bid status needs to be addressed.

89rabbit
May 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM

That is what I am talkin' about! :hurray:

blukeys
May 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Personally, I don't think it'll ever come to that. The I-AA PSC eventually will be forced to more clearly define the criteria used to determine how it awards auto-bids to eligible conferences. That's a good thing.

In any case, that process will be much easier than trying to get buy-in for additional playoff slots/a longer playoff season.

I agree. I think this is a good idea, but most believe that the NCAA will postpone any clearly defined criteria as long as they can!!!:D

ucdtim17
May 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Doubtful.

Who is this "Cal Davis" you speak of?

UC DAVIS and CP are not dropping football under any forseeable circumstances. UCD is building a $30 mil new stadium and CP a $21 mil refurbishment. CP is in a beautiful location, but it's a bitch to get to from anywhere and there aren't many people in the area. We've both been independents before and probably will be again at some point - we'll survive.

MplsBison
May 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I see that Spanos has injected some money into the sub-high school football field at SLO.

If they keep winning like they have, they won't have to worry about having a team.

The problem for them will be that they'll be independants as long as they're I-AA.

Cal Davis is the common name (at least in Fargo) for UC Davis.

What do you think about you guys and Sac State teaming up to go I-A (maybe in the WAC if they get robbed by the MWC)?

R.A.
May 12th, 2006, 09:45 PM
1.)The MEAC isn't losing its automatic bid. There are too many schools in the MEAC that want to compete for a NCAA National Title, to let out bid be taken away, or let our commish give it away for the Heritage Bowl. The Heritage Bowl is just going to have to be whatever MEAC School qualifies for the Bowl and not the Playoffs, vs. The SWAC Champion.

2.)FAMU happens to be one of the schools that wants to compete for NCAA titles. Since the SWAC doesn't have an automatic bid, FAMU isn't moving over to the SWAC. Remember, FAMU's main overall objectives are to move up to 1-A in football, and win NCAA National titles. No 1-AA football conferences are 1-A conferences, so it would make no sense for FAMU to make a move to another 1-AA football conference. FAMU is a MEAC school, they'll play SWAC teams, but at the end of the day, if it isn't a 1-A conference, then the MEAC is the best fit for them. They know that, that's why they're here.

JDC325
May 13th, 2006, 12:08 AM
You better make room for three to four more 1-AA teams out of Georgia in the future.Kennesaw State has made some comments, Georgia State is doing a feasibility study and West GA and Valdosta State could go easily be 1-AA in the next five to ten years since they allready have good Div-II programs. With the explosion of student populations in the state the last twenty years it is becoming more of an option for alot of these schools.

blur2005
May 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Uh, I like this remarkable discussion of I-AA football in the future...:rolleyes:

blukeys
May 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Uh, I like this remarkable discussion of I-AA football in the future...:rolleyes:

I'm with you blur. Can a West Coast fan start a new and REAALY important thread on what UC Davis should be called? I have a personal interest in such a thread and don't want to be distracted by anyone wanting to discuss I-AA in the future!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: