PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Question

bluehenbillk
November 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Posed this question elsewhere & haven't got an answer:

Are teams from the SWAC eligible to participate in the FCS playoffs?

I know the IVY isn't, what about the SWAC?

I realize there is a SWAC Championship Game their divisional winners play in & that Southern & Grambling b/c of their NBC game wouldn't play either.

But it's possible that Alabama St or Alabama A&M could be sitting at 9-2 come regular season end - one of those teams would play on the SWAC game, the other, that's my question.

superman7515
November 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
The top team from each division goes on to play the SWAC Championship game. Although they've declined to apply for their automatic qualifier back, the teams that do not play in the SCG are playoff eligible as at-large teams. How far down the list they are or aren't is a different story, but they are eligible.

dgtw
November 1st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Alabama State plays a game on Thanksgiving every year against Tuskegee, so they can't go because of that. I don't think A&M has any late season games, but if they won out, they'll be in the SWAC title game after beating ASU.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Southern and Jackson State are ineligible from SCG and NCAA postseason play this year in football due to penalties associated with APR. You already acknowledged Bayou Classic interference for Southern...