PDA

View Full Version : A Strong Case for Video Review in FCS

GSU 25+yrFan
November 1st, 2011, 06:43 AM
If a FCS game is carried on TV should we have Video Review? This makes a good case for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqyH_wRyh-g&feature=youtu.be

AppStsGr8
November 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM
Do you also have video of the GSU fumble and App recovery in the 4th? The refs said the runner was down by contact, yet the video seemed to show otherwise.

I'll agree with you that SoCon refs aren't anything amazing by any stretch of the imagination. They made mistakes both ways.

App held the FCS leader in scoring (44.6 per game) and rushing (369.7 yards per game) to 17 points and 135 yards rushing (201 yards of total offense). It wasn't the refs who lost the game for GSU.

eaglewraith
November 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM
Do you also have video of the GSU fumble and App recovery in the 4th? The refs said the runner was down by contact, yet the video seemed to show otherwise.

I'll agree with you that SoCon refs aren't anything amazing by any stretch of the imagination. They made mistakes both ways.

App held the FCS leader in scoring (44.6 per game) and rushing (369.7 yards per game) to 17 points and 135 yards rushing (201 yards of total offense). It wasn't the refs who lost the game for GSU.

I agree it was a fumble. You might have been able to say his forward progress was stopped but that's pushing it. Even if he was down they had the wrong spot as well since he was at the first down marker when everything happened. However that play occured after the "touchdown" and the score would have been tied.

That game should have gone to OT.

Not saying we didn't get beat all over the field cause we did. However the refs did make a tremendous impact on that game.

AshevilleApp2
November 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Well now you have your excuse. You should feel better approaching your next game now.

pike51
November 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
However, if you add video review, you'd have to do it for all FCS games... not just the ones on TV. I'm not sure all FCS schools would be able to supports this move. I guess if they had to they could but some FCS schools just wouldn't be able to do it with enough camera angles, equipment, etc.

ElonPride
November 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM
Wow. One of the biggest games of the year and this was how it was won?

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2011, 07:37 AM
Wow. One of the biggest games of the year and this was how it was won?

Yep, it was won on AGS. Play on the field was irrelevant.

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2011, 07:39 AM
If a FCS game is carried on TV should we have Video Review? This makes a good case for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqyH_wRyh-g&feature=youtu.be

I've watched that replay a number of times here & on my DVR'd version. Looks like a catch to me. But, if you fellers want to argue otherwise, carry on.

straightshooter
November 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Well now you have your excuse. You should feel better approaching your next game now.

No excuses. Football is a game that is determined by a score, not statistics. It is a three phase game - offense, defense and special teams. There are many, many games where the best team statistically wound up losing the game. GSU clearly won the special teams and pretty much broke even on defense. They certainly lost the offense phase of the game. Now, did the refs miss some calls that most certainly affected the outcome of the game? Video replay shows that they most certainly did. What is sad is that what really happened on the field was not reflected in the outcome. I can accept the loss to the Mountaineers. They played really well on defense and capitalized on coverage breakdowns by GSU in the passing game. Those things are coachable and can be fixed.

The world didn't come to an end for GSU because of this game. It was frankly the wake up call they needed. We're moving on to the Citadel. Let's just hope we're not revisiting incorrect on field calls that really affect the outcome of a game next week too.

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM

You shouldn't question the "experts" from Statesboro. Haven't you figured out yet that they are never wrong?

GSU 25+yrFan
November 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM

This tread was about video replay not who won or loss. Most of the blown calls would not be reviewable anyway.

Re: A Strong Case for Video Review in FCS
However, if you add video review, you'd have to do it for all FCS games... not just the ones on TV. I'm not sure all FCS schools would be able to supports this move. I guess if they had to they could but some FCS schools just wouldn't be able to do it with enough camera angles, equipment, etc.

If the video is there us it, both teams could be affected. Just don't review the games that are not on TV especially HD quality. SoCon refs suck anyway, GSU vs APP total 5 flags GSU vs Elon total 23-204yds.

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Can we make a special sub-forum where the Georgia Southern whining can occur?

However that play occured after the "touchdown" and the score would have been tied.

You have to assume quite a bit to say that the game would be tied at the end of regulation. If they ruled the Quick catch incomplete... we probably would have kicked a field goal. Not guaranteed... but, a pretty good chance it's good.

asumike83
November 1st, 2011, 10:29 AM
I am not for video review in the regular season, and not just because of one call that went our way. It disrupts the flow of the game and very rarely is the outcome determined by the referees. In the playoffs, it is worth a second look but not every game.

If you look at all the missed calls in this game, of which there were many, I think they just about even out. Quick was bobbling the ball on this TD, GSU very clearly fumbled on a play that would have set us up with good field position and the long Laron Scott kick return was broken by a blatant hold. The Quick catch is the most scrutinized and whined about but the game was won on the field.

SoCon refs are terrible and that does not appear to be changing any time soon. I do not want to sit at a game for 4 hours as they take time to watch video of every call they're unsure of.

StorminASU
November 1st, 2011, 10:57 AM
I agree it was a fumble. You might have been able to say his forward progress was stopped but that's pushing it. Even if he was down they had the wrong spot as well since he was at the first down marker when everything happened. However that play occured after the "touchdown" and the score would have been tied.

Not saying we didn't get beat all over the field cause we did. However the refs did make a tremendous impact on that game.

Oh stop the whining. What about the blatant holding penalties
That holding was in the fourth right before the GSU caught the ball in the endzone (an ASU player knocked it loose). Do you think that didn't effect the outcome? This is ridiculous. You got beat. If you were truly #1, a ref shouldn't be able to decide the game. Deal with it. 24-17. It's history. If your team deserved to win, they would've. If anything, most refs call against App usually. Grow a pair.

pike51
November 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
As a GSU fan... Allow me to say that if the catch had been ruled incomplete, we would have lost anyways. App out played us all day long, period. No whining here. You've got to take the good with the bad. The pass interference call was bogus too (although defensive holding did occur). Catch or not... GSU should have been able to drive back down and score again. Heck, we had all the momentum at that point... they shouldn't have been that close... our defense had held them the entire 2nd half. We were not able to do either and we didn't deserve to win.

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
As a GSU fan... Allow me to say that if the catch had been ruled incomplete, we would have lost anyways. App out played us all day long, period. No whining here. You've got to take the good with the bad. The pass interference call was bogus too (although defensive holding did occur). Catch or not... GSU should have been able to drive back down and score again. Heck, we had all the momentum at that point... they shouldn't have been that close... our defense had held them the entire 2nd half. We were not able to do either and we didn't deserve to win.

Rep for you for redeeming your fanbase.

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Just wanted to ask about the school's president. I hope he is ok and doesn't have any problems. I was about 5 feet away from him when he got hit. Has anybody seen a replay of that particular play?

asumike83
November 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM

Well said. Good luck the rest of the way, please beat Wofford!

eaglemachine
November 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM

+1

GSU 25+yrFan
November 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM
Just wanted to ask about the school's president. I hope he is ok and doesn't have any problems. I was about 5 feet away from him when he got hit. Has anybody seen a replay of that particular play?

Scroll over to the 4:10min. mark of the video. Two GSU players rolled over his legs.
http://www.statesboroherald.com/multimedia/3624/
He had surgery for a broken ankle.

trusty
November 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM

I think we were also in the red zone twice and did not score any points. ASU had our number all day. Next year we will have our revenge.

GSU EAGLES
November 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
This is Brian quick preparing for next weeks game and the SoCon Refs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkWHfgRKni0

superman7515
November 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM

There is already a FCS conference that uses video replay only for televised games.

blueballs
November 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM

That call was hilarious. I never thought it was possible for the refs to screw BOTH teams on the same call but one must remember that we're talking SoCon refs here and they actually managed to do that.

First, they missed the obvious fumble, then they spotted the ball where the "non-fumble" was recovered...ergo they screwed both teams on the same play.

Classic!!!!!

boonegoon
November 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
There is already a FCS conference that uses video replay only for televised games.

I think it really can be terribly limited given the number of cameras in use. I don't think its fair to the teams that aren't on tv that week.

asumike83
November 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bFvnKKINDHs/To-Ui4By_bI/AAAAAAAAJjA/ep_u9M2gtTM/s1600/Crying%2BBaby%2BNatural%2BHigh%2Bfor%2BSome%2BMoms .jpg

You've got to be embarrassing the rest of your fans at this point. I know I'd be embarrassed if some ASU fan was still whining about the officials 3 days after a loss where we were clearly out played. Move on and stop crying about it. Seems like every GSU fan but you has already said that you were beaten by ASU last weekend, not the refs.

tingly
November 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
NCAA Basketball had a tv-only review rule. It was changed to allow a review system for non-tv games, but those systems aren't required.

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
They're crying like Chattownmocs. Bad calls on both sides people. I'm sorry you weren't good enough to win. Better luck next year.

appfan2008
November 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM

positive rep for you... that is called using your head!

appfan2008
November 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think we were also in the red zone twice and did not score any points. ASU had our number all day. Next year we will have our revenge.

another GSU fan with a head on his shoulders!

appfan2008
November 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM

and then the idiots from statesboro... what a loser...

cannonballgsu
November 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
They're crying like Chattownmocs. Bad calls on both sides people. I'm sorry you weren't good enough to win. Better luck next year.

Come on...that's below the belt! The majority of GSU fans know that we got beat up and down the field. That was a huge play, and yes, the ref screwed it up, but what's done is done. We should have been able to regroup, storm down the field, and tie the game, but we didn't (couldn't). Props to your D for playing the way they did - we didn't have any answers.

I agree that the fumble play was a little comical. We OBVIOUSLY fumbled, they spotted the ball at the fumble, but said the runner was down (still standing). I honestly think that is the worst officiated game I have ever seen - for both teams.

As for implementing instant replay in the FCS - there is no way it would be possible with the budgets. Most games are lucky to have more than one or two camera views.

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
I honestly think that is the worst officiated game I have ever seen - for both teams.

No way. I've seen MUCH worse. Scary thought.

LehighU11
November 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Lehigh could have still been undefeated right now, had it not been for a controversial TD catch in overtime where a UNH receiver was ruled in bounds when he was visibly not. The call was obviously incorrect to those in the stands, as well as from a number of replays from the live broadcast.

All of Lehigh's home games are televised on at least 1 station, as are Lafayette's. However, I'm not sure the same can be said throughout the conference, which is likely the case throughout FCS.

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
I used to complain about the SoCon refs then I went to the App vs Delaware National Championship game in 07. You could have picked up 6 drunks in the parking lot of the local Chatty strip club and they would have been better than that crew.

I would rather not have replay because it slows the game down so much and they still make the wrong call half the time. Just my opinion. Most of the refs screwups are not reviewable anyway.

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM

Yeah, it seems like flags overall in the SoCon are WAY down this year. I'd rather have far fewer flags and a few "missed" calls than way too many ticky-tack calls. Let 'em play.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
16218.....UH...WHERE WERE YA'LL.....WHEN DUH CHICKENS WERE HOSED.......IN FRISCO.....xconfusedx......NOW WHEN DUH ZEEBS...BLOW ONE AGIN' YER SQWAD...DUH SKY IS....FALLIN'.....AWQ!

soweagle
November 1st, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah, it seems like flags overall in the SoCon are WAY down this year. I'd rather have far fewer flags and a few "missed" calls than way too many ticky-tack calls. Let 'em play.

Agree with both statements.

Mikeyosef
November 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM
I used to complain about the SoCon refs then I went to the App vs Delaware National Championship game in 07. You could have picked up 6 drunks in the parking lot of the local Chatty strip club and they would have been better than that crew.

I would rather not have replay because it slows the game down so much and they still make the wrong call half the time. Just my opinion. Most of the refs screwups are not reviewable anyway.

Those were MEAC refs and yes, that was by far the worst officiating I have ever seen at the college or even high school level. Fortunately, that NC game was very one sided and I don't believe better officiating would have made any difference in the outcome. I was sitting with three friends from Chattanooga (all of whom went to UT), as we watched the game they kept asking me how anyone beat us that year. We played light out that night, never letting off the gas.

Nova09
November 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
wow, first time i'm seeing any video from this game and that call was horrible. obviously haven't seen anything else so i fully believe there were bad calls both ways, maybe crucial, awful calls that went southern's way, but...the ref doesn't even watch the play to the end! he comes in signaling td while quick is still falling to the ground. when i first watched, i was trying to freeze it where he bobbles the initial catch bringing it in to see if he kept that one foot down. then i realized that wasn't even an issue, because he lost control so obviously when he hit the ground. it doesn't matter that he kept the ball off the ground the whole time, the rule says he has to fully control it and maintain control while still being in bounds.

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Come on...that's below the belt! The majority of GSU fans know that we got beat up and down the field. That was a huge play, and yes, the ref screwed it up, but what's done is done. We should have been able to regroup, storm down the field, and tie the game, but we didn't (couldn't). Props to your D for playing the way they did - we didn't have any answers.

I agree that the fumble play was a little comical. We OBVIOUSLY fumbled, they spotted the ball at the fumble, but said the runner was down (still standing). I honestly think that is the worst officiated game I have ever seen - for both teams.

As for implementing instant replay in the FCS - there is no way it would be possible with the budgets. Most games are lucky to have more than one or two camera views.

If your fellow fans shared this conception, I would never have made that comment. Great to see reason amongst the stink faithful

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Lehigh could have still been undefeated right now, had it not been for a controversial TD catch in overtime where a UNH receiver was ruled in bounds when he was visibly not. The call was obviously incorrect to those in the stands, as well as from a number of replays from the live broadcast.

All of Lehigh's home games are televised on at least 1 station, as are Lafayette's. However, I'm not sure the same can be said throughout the conference, which is likely the case throughout FCS.

I agree it was a bad call, but it was on 1st down. Are we sure Lehigh would have stopped them on 2nd and 3rd?
The ref's ruling was because the receiver had been forced out of bounds he could be the first to touch the ball.
The correct call IF the receiver had re-established himself in bounds, which he did not.
What it was is pass interference.

What did Lehigh do with the ball when they got their try that makes you so sure they would have won the game.

I felt it might have come down to FGs.
How many kicks did Lehigh miss that day?

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
I agree it was a bad call, but it was on 1st down. Are we sure Lehigh would have stopped them on 2nd and 3rd?
The ref's ruling was because the receiver had been forced out of bounds he could be the first to touch the ball.
The correct call IF the receiver had re-established himself in bounds, which he did not.

What did Lehigh do with the ball when they got their try that makes you so sure they would have won the game.

I've learned in the last couple of days that when a grown man wants to cry on the internet... he's going to do so. No sense trying to reason with the folks that want a good cry about officials.

LehighU11
November 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM

Yeah, special teams have been our Achilles heel all season. We likely wouldn't have been in overtime had it not been for a blocked PAT and missed PAT.

I agree that there is no guarantee we would have won and don't claim that it alone decided the game. We had our chance on our possession and didn't make anything of it. However, Lehigh might have had a chance to stop UNH on 2nd and 3rd down. That call and the lack of video replay did have some impact on the game.

soaring eagle
November 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Ok folks been reading this thread for a few days and decided to post. Im as true of an Eagle as they come and wouldn't say i hate App State as they have never done anything personally to me but Im a realist. Brian Quick's catch was not a Td he came no where near having control of the ball and it hit the ground at the end of his fall. Now on to our Eagles we fumbled and they gave the ball back to us when App clearly recovered. App State beat us on the field period. We failed to put up points with two redzone trips, Jaybo throws two interceptions and our blocking on the corners was suspect the whole game. I admire Jaybo but when a team like App State takes away the pitch, pass and dive and you don't have the necessary speed at Qb to effectively execute a qb keeper your going to get beaten by teams with excellent defensive speed. Now put a Jason Foster, Greg Hill or Chaz Williams style QB under center and you have a completely different situation, i.e 2007. Bottom Line and bad as i hate to admit it App State beat us in nearly every aspect of the game Saturday. You cant continue to play one half of football and expect to beat good teams. Yes i said it App State is a very talented and well coached football team. Hope to see them again in Frisco!! Good Day!!

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Ok folks been reading this thread for a few days and decided to post. Im as true of an Eagle as they come and wouldn't say i hate App State as they have never done anything personally to me but Im a realist. Brian Quick's catch was not a Td he came no where near having control of the ball and it hit the ground at the end of his fall. Now on to our Eagles we fumbled and they gave the ball back to us when App clearly recovered. App State beat us on the field period. We failed to put up points with two redzone trips, Jaybo throws two interceptions and our blocking on the corners was suspect the whole game. I admire Jaybo but when a team like App State takes away the pitch, pass and dive and you don't have the necessary speed at Qb to effectively execute a qb keeper your going to get beaten by teams with excellent defensive speed. Now put a Jason Foster, Greg Hill or Chaz Williams style QB under center and you have a completely different situation, i.e 2007. Bottom Line and bad as i hate to admit it App State beat us in nearly every aspect of the game Saturday. You cant continue to play one half of football and expect to beat good teams. Yes i said it App State is a very talented and well coached football team. Hope to see them again in Frisco!! Good Day!!

xthumbsupx

Post more!

soaring eagle
November 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
jelly actually i enjoy reading some of the post but rarely post due to the fact i really don't enjoy or arguing with some of the non sense some of the posters put on messages boards. I know a lil bit about option football :) but id rather just read.

blueballs
November 1st, 2011, 05:08 PM
I've learned in the last couple of days that when a grown man wants to cry on the internet... he's going to do so. No sense trying to reason with the folks that want a good cry about officials.

Who said anything about "grown" men???

GSU EAGLES
November 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM

I learned in the last couple of days that when someone wins on a clear bad call, they will do anything they can to hopefully sweep the bad call under the rug and try to get everyone to immediately move on so that nobody sees what a terrible call it was which had a huge impact on the outcome.

I love how every impartial person says it was clearly a bad call, yet you stick by the call saying it was correct. Then, because you know it was a terrible call, you default to the old "what a bunch of crybabies" tactic.

Jelly, you need to step your game up. You are using all of the " I am in clear denial" tactics.

Time to move on. Officially we will call this game a tie. Georgia Southern 7-0-1 so far in 2011.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
being purely objective, this replay would "stand" IMO. not enough clear video evidence IMO

cannonballgsu
November 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM
being purely objective, this replay would "stand" IMO. not enough clear video evidence IMO

I didn't know the SOCON refs were board members...

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
No call can be as bad as a 2 of the holding calls called on Wofford against Furman. Under further review, those calls are still wrong. But it didn't cost us the game

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
You are using all of the " I am in clear denial" tactics.
WHO is in clear denial?

Officially we will call this game a tie. Georgia Southern 7-0-1 so far in 2011.
xlolxxlolxxlolx

I love how every impartial person says it was clearly a bad call, yet you stick by the call saying it was correct.

When did I say that?

Time to move on.

You said the same thing a couple of days ago. Let's see if you can follow through this time. xrolleyesxxlolxxbawlingx

GSU EAGLES
November 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
WHO is in clear denial?

xlolxxlolxxlolx

When did I say that?

You said the same thing a couple of days ago. Let's see if you can follow through this time. xrolleyesxxlolxxbawlingx

I am just glad you finally admitted it was a bad call and that you clearly would have lost the game as a result. Now I can move on. You are not such a bad guy afterall jelly.

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
No we just would have kicked a field goal and won by 3 instead of 7.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah, special teams have been our Achilles heel all season. We likely wouldn't have been in overtime had it not been for a blocked PAT and missed PAT.

I agree that there is no guarantee we would have won and don't claim that it alone decided the game. We had our chance on our possession and didn't make anything of it. However, Lehigh might have had a chance to stop UNH on 2nd and 3rd down. That call and the lack of video replay did have some impact on the game.

Correct, we have no way of knowing for sure what the out come of that would have been.
I was growing tired of all the "we would have won" posts by some Lehigh posters

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
I learned in the last couple of days that when someone wins on a clear bad call, they will do anything they can to hopefully sweep the bad call under the rug and try to get everyone to immediately move on so that nobody sees what a terrible call it was which had a huge impact on the outcome.

I love how every impartial person says it was clearly a bad call, yet you stick by the call saying it was correct. Then, because you know it was a terrible call, you default to the old "what a bunch of crybabies" tactic.

Jelly, you need to step your game up. You are using all of the " I am in clear denial" tactics.

Time to move on. Officially we will call this game a tie. Georgia Southern 7-0-1 so far in 2011.

Good luck with that petition...

tractorapp
November 1st, 2011, 08:28 PM

He obviously did not watch the '07 championship game with ASU defeating Delaware. MEAC crew of officials. Simply terrible, worst I've ever seen.

I-16Bandit
November 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
He obviously did not watch the '07 championship game with ASU defeating Delaware. MEAC crew of officials. Simply terrible, worst I've ever seen.

Got any examples? I'm curious.

WUTNDITWAA
November 1st, 2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
Got any examples? I'm curious.

16219.....YA'LL DIDN'T WATCH IT....xconfusedx....ESPN NATIONALLY.....AH WAS DERE.......DUH PLACE WAS CRAWLIN' WHIFF...MOUSEKETEERS......TICKET SNAFU......APPALACHIAN STATE PLAYED DUH SEMI...ON UH FRIDAY...DELAWARE ON SATURDAY....THUS...GIVIN'....DUH BOONERS....24 HOURS..HEAD START...TA HOG UP DUH TIX/HOTELS/LIQUOR......OURAH AD....OL' EDGAR....SCREWED UP DUH TICKET DEMAND....WE WERE..LIKE 3-4K...AGIN'....ALL O' NORFF CAROLINA......DERE WAS AS MANY BLACK N' GOLD CLAD....OUTSIDE DUH STADIUM...AS INSIDE.....DUH MEAC..ZEEBS.....WERE CLEARLY...OUTTAH DEY'RE ELEMENT......FAT AN' OUTTAH BREATH STRIPES.....WHO WEEZED EVERAH CALL....SCARED TA THROW DUH POPCORN...ON ANY....APPALACHIAN...MISDEED....HEY...WE WOODAH LOST ON OURAH OWN.....ANY-HOO......DUH CHICKEN & ENTOURAGE..SLINKED OUTTAH FINLEY...WHIFF 8+...MINUTES...ON DUH MICKEY.....AH'VE NEVERAH LEFT UH DELAWARE GAME....TIL DUH FINAL...GUN...PRIOR.....BUT DUH APPS.....WERE THUNDEROUS.....CAUGHT DUH FINAL HALF O' 4TH Q...ON DUH BUS...INTERCOM...NCAA..EQUAL OPS..FO' REFS.....RESULTED IN.....POORLY CALLED GAME.......NOT COMPLAIN'...'CAUSE WE TANKED......EVEN DUH "ROCK" FANS....WILL BACK...DIS ACCOUNT.....xnodx...........DOODLE-DOO!

Cleets
November 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
I think that perhaps the only thing on this entire thread we can all agree on is that: SoCon officiating is terrible - across the board just plain crap officiating all the way around
The only valid question is: Where do they find these guys (seriously) I mean, you'd have to seek out the worst of the worst to build a group of officiating crews as consistently bad as the SoCon

xconfusedx

Poly's Brutality
November 2nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
Hey, after being victims of bad calls, you realize, anything we can do to help keep the refs honest has got to be good thing. The more information, the better - even if they goof up the replay calls. Lay it out there for more to see, and guess if they will. Players and coaches work way too long, way too hard, to have some clown mess it up with the wrong call, however good-intentioned.

Baldy
November 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM

Not with your sorry azz kickers. xlolx

seantaylor
November 2nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
This is really not even about replay, even though FCS is garbage and should have it. With 7 officials on the field, and the back judge looking right at the fking play, this call should NEVER be missed. Appy's screaming about holding calls are funny. You can't review a judgement penalty call. Just goes to show you how small time a league the Socon is, not even getting into the PBS TV ish.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
16219.....YA'LL DIDN'T WATCH IT....xconfusedx....ESPN NATIONALLY.....AH WAS DERE.......DUH PLACE WAS CRAWLIN' WHIFF...MOUSEKETEERS......TICKET SNAFU......APPALACHIAN STATE PLAYED DUH SEMI...ON UH FRIDAY...DELAWARE ON SATURDAY....THUS...GIVIN'....DUH BOONERS....24 HOURS..HEAD START...TA HOG UP DUH TIX/HOTELS/LIQUOR......OURAH AD....OL' EDGAR....SCREWED UP DUH TICKET DEMAND....WE WERE..LIKE 3-4K...AGIN'....ALL O' NORFF CAROLINA......DERE WAS AS MANY BLACK N' GOLD CLAD....OUTSIDE DUH STADIUM...AS INSIDE.....DUH MEAC..ZEEBS.....WERE CLEARLY...OUTTAH DEY'RE ELEMENT......FAT AN' OUTTAH BREATH STRIPES.....WHO WEEZED EVERAH CALL....SCARED TA THROW DUH POPCORN...ON ANY....APPALACHIAN...MISDEED....HEY...WE WOODAH LOST ON OURAH OWN.....ANY-HOO......DUH CHICKEN & ENTOURAGE..SLINKED OUTTAH FINLEY...WHIFF 8+...MINUTES...ON DUH MICKEY.....AH'VE NEVERAH LEFT UH DELAWARE GAME....TIL DUH FINAL...GUN...PRIOR.....BUT DUH APPS.....WERE THUNDEROUS.....CAUGHT DUH FINAL HALF O' 4TH Q...ON DUH BUS...INTERCOM...NCAA..EQUAL OPS..FO' REFS.....RESULTED IN.....POORLY CALLED GAME.......NOT COMPLAIN'...'CAUSE WE TANKED......EVEN DUH "ROCK" FANS....WILL BACK...DIS ACCOUNT.....xnodx...........DOODLE-DOO!

Yep. I was there. Refs were really bad & clueless. Only thing I would add is if Flacco's receivers had actually caught his passes (especially those that hit them in their hands), this would have been a MUCH closer game. And then, there was that goal line play that just took the wind out of Delaware's sails.

I-16Bandit
November 2nd, 2011, 04:50 AM
.....YA'LL DIDN'T WATCH IT....xconfusedx....

Unfortunately, no. In '07, I wasn't very in-tune with football, much less the FCS.

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2011, 06:55 AM
Not with your sorry azz kickers. xlolx

Then it would have tied and gone into overtime.

Where your offense, that was dominated all day, would not have scored. xcoffeex

eaglemachine
November 2nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
Then it would have tied and gone into overtime.

Where your offense, that was dominated all day, would not have scored. xcoffeex

If the game went into overtime, GSU would have won. Sorry, better kicker, better special teams and I doubt your offense would have scored on our defense either in overtime. Don't forget our defense was just as dominant in this game as yours.

All this is besides the point. GSU didn't show up in the first half and refs made mistakes on both teams. The score is what it is. I hope to meet again in the playoffs.

Apphole
November 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
I am just glad you finally admitted it was a bad call and that you clearly would have lost the game as a result. Now I can move on. You are not such a bad guy afterall jelly.

A field goal would have won the game too jackass. Refs missed a ton of calls for your team too so I guess that means we definitely would have won by 3 TD's if not for those bad calls. You are an idiot and GaSo got an L on Saturday. As Forcier would say, FACT: GaSo lost.

StorminASU
November 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
If the game went into overtime, GSU would have won. Sorry, better kicker, better special teams and I doubt your offense would have scored on our defense either in overtime. Don't forget our defense was just as dominant in this game as yours.

All this is besides the point. GSU didn't show up in the first half and refs made mistakes on both teams. The score is what it is. I hope to meet again in the playoffs.

I hope we meet again too so we can shut you up a second time. Bunch of whiny GSU fans are a disgrace. We beat you, grow up.

StorminASU
November 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
If the game went into overtime, GSU would have won.

This is probably my favorite quote ever btw. Do you mind to give me some lotto numbers since you're so good at predicting the future? Did you bet on ASU to win too? Just seeing how good your psychic powers are.

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

Nobody has said that it was a good call. Although it was a lot harder call to make than you'd have us believe, it was a missed call. The point is that it was NOT why you lost.

The refs botched a clear GSU fumble in the 4th where the runner was nowhere near down and ASU recovered the ball but they ruled down by contact. If they review that and get it correct, ASU gets yet another possession with good field position. Your big kick return that set up a FG to get you on the board in the first half was sprung by a blatant hold. You know as well as I do that if the game had gone the other way and ASU fans were on here crying about those missed calls, you would have the same reaction to us as you are getting now.

SoCon refs suck. We all know this but it goes both ways. Your team was out played on Saturday and you lost. Get over it.

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM

Better special teams? Absolutely, but your defense was not as dominant as the ASU defense on Saturday.All of our points were scored offensively, while 10 of GSU's 17 points came as a direct result of kick returns.

Y'all put together just one scoring drive all day, had only 201 yards of total offense and lost the turnover battle 2 to 1. The GSU defense did not have a bad game by any means but they were out performed by the Appalachian defense. Every statistical measure would say the same: turnovers, yards allowed, yards per rush, yards per pass and most importantly, points allowed.

Apphole
November 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Better special teams? Absolutely, but your defense was not as dominant as the ASU defense on Saturday.All of our points were scored offensively, while 10 of GSU's 17 points came as a direct result of kick returns.

Y'all put together just one scoring drive all day, had only 201 yards of total offense and lost the turnover battle 2 to 1. The GSU defense did not have a bad game by any means but they were out performed by the Appalachian defense. Every statistical measure would say the same: turnovers, yards allowed, yards per rush, yards per pass and most importantly, points allowed.

Don't even worry about it Mike. They're just too butt hurt that their perfect Eagles that could do no wrong lost. No amount of rational discussion will convince them anything. In their minds, GaSo dominated every facet of the game and that one bad call cheated them out of a sure win. It's better just to hand them a Sylvia Plath novel and a bottle of Ambien and look the other way.

ASUMountaineer
November 2nd, 2011, 09:06 AM

Outside of kicking a field goal (which you mentioned first) how exactly would special teams come into play in OT? Do you know how OT works in college football?

I agree with GSU Eagles...let's move on (hopefully he can heed his own advice).

ASUMountaineer
November 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Yep. I was there. Refs were really bad & clueless. Only thing I would add is if Flacco's receivers had actually caught his passes (especially those that hit them in their hands), this would have been a MUCH closer game. And then, there was that goal line play that just took the wind out of Delaware's sails.

I just remember the MEAC official repeatedly calling Delaware, "Delaware State." HA!

ASUMountaineer
November 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx You sound like chattown.

Define, "we."

Eaglesrus
November 2nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Why did I look at this thread again? It's Wednesday, right? We both have a game Saturday, right? Bring on the Bulldogs and let's get back on track!

ASUMountaineer
November 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Why did I look at this thread again? It's Wednesday, right? We both have a game Saturday, right? Bring on the Bulldogs and let's get back on track!

FU, Furman!

KJ Eagle
November 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM

Had you kicked the field goal, then we would have been able to kick a field goal for the tie when we were inside the 10 or so in the 4th quarter instead of having to go for it on 4th down. All I'm saying is that one bad call affected the way the rest of the 4th quarter was played and the decisions that the coaches made.

You guys deserved to win because you executed better than we did. Plain and simple. I'm not whining about we could have, should have, would have won. But you have to admit that even with your better execution it came down to a bad call altering the outcome of the game. In one of the biggest games in the country, it's SAD that the quality (or lack there of) of officiating affects the outcome of the game.

And by the way, for the ones calling the fumble a bad call. Wasn't that on 4th down anyway? They screwed up the spotting of the ball and gave you guys back possession anyway. So whether you got the ball due to a fumble or you got the ball due to turn over on downs, you still got the ball in the same spot. How did that affect anything?

AppinATL
November 2nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Have you guys had a big game lately? Just curious.

AppinATL
November 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry, but you can't play by a different set of rules just because your game is on TV. If all the FCS goes on replay, fine, but you can't have it just for televised games. That would create a whole 'nother set of problems.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Don't even worry about it Mike. They're just too butt hurt that their perfect Eagles that could do no wrong lost. No amount of rational discussion will convince them anything. In their minds, GaSo dominated every facet of the game and that one bad call cheated them out of a sure win. It's better just to hand them a Sylvia Plath novel and a bottle of Ambien and look the other way.

Well this tread was hijacked. Reviewable calls are what this was supposed to be about not “Non Reviewable” calls like holding, offside etc. The bogus ball spot no fumble call at the end was the cherry on top of sucking SoCON officials and a need for video review.

I’ll add after all the cap said about GSU crying: With the GSU bad offensive play calling and terrible play the entire game especially the first half why didn't APP blow GSU out (we only had 201yds)? A 7 point win is a win even if the 7 points scored where on a blown ref’s call is just luck for APP. I just hate it came down to that.

We still have the playoffs (remember 1999) and I’ll be the biggest FU fan for only 3 hours this Saturday.

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Well this tread was hijacked. Reviewable calls are what this was supposed to be about not “Non Reviewable” calls like holding, offside etc. The bogus ball spot no fumble call at the end was the cherry on top of sucking SoCON officials and a need for video review.

I’ll add after all the cap said about GSU crying: With the GSU bad offensive play calling and terrible play the entire game especially the first half why didn't APP blow GSU out (we only had 201yds)? A 7 point win is a win even if the 7 points scored where on a blown ref’s call is just luck for APP. I just hate it came down to that.

We still have the playoffs (remember 1999) and I’ll be the biggest FU fan for only 3 hours this Saturday.

I agree that the thread got way off topic but I think the point was that regardless of whether the calls were reviewable, bad calls were made on both sides. As for review, I am against it. Our officials are so bad that we'd be out there all day if they stopped and took a 2nd look at every call they were unsure of.

As for why ASU did not win convincingly, it comes down to one thing: special teams. 10 of GSU's 17 points came as a direct result of the return game. If ASU was better in their kick coverage, officiating would be the last thing on GSU fans' minds.

I also remember '99 and that is what makes football at the FCS level so great. The loss really doesn't hurt anything but pride, GSU still has the opportunity to win out and get into the playoffs with at least a game at home.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry, but you can't play by a different set of rules just because your game is on TV. If all the FCS goes on replay, fine, but you can't have it just for televised games. That would create a whole 'nother set of problems.

Why do you say that? I guess you can make the case game 1 refs are better than game 2 refs so game 1 teams are cheated. Review equals the calls for the 2 teams playing on TV and does not affect the other 80 or so teams playing that day. If another 2 teams are not on TV and without review they are equal and no other way to judge a bad call. But a game it is on TV especially HD there is an option for review so it should be used.

GlassOnion
November 2nd, 2011, 11:01 AM

Ignorant load of crap.

Average yards per Play:
App 5.4
GSU 3.2

The only ownage there is by the App D.

Red Zone Efficiency:
App 2 for 2
GSU 2 for 4

GSU with 4 downs to go inside the ASU 10, and go nowhere. Multiple times. That is ownage.

Rob Iola
November 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM

LET'S GO HORNETS! [clap clap clapclapclap]

But be careful what you wish for wrt instant replay - talk about clusterclucks, witness last January's ball-spotting misadventures coupled with repeated trips to the replay booth, only to get it wrong in the end...

boonegoon
November 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Had you kicked the field goal, then we would have been able to kick a field goal for the tie when we were inside the 10 or so in the 4th quarter instead of having to go for it on 4th down. All I'm saying is that one bad call affected the way the rest of the 4th quarter was played and the decisions that the coaches made.

You guys deserved to win because you executed better than we did. Plain and simple. I'm not whining about we could have, should have, would have won. But you have to admit that even with your better execution it came down to a bad call altering the outcome of the game. In one of the biggest games in the country, it's SAD that the quality (or lack there of) of officiating affects the outcome of the game.

And by the way, for the ones calling the fumble a bad call. Wasn't that on 4th down anyway? They screwed up the spotting of the ball and gave you guys back possession anyway. So whether you got the ball due to a fumble or you got the ball due to turn over on downs, you still got the ball in the same spot. How did that affect anything?

The only thing I'm going to say is that you can't say what might have happened. It could have been that we try the field goal, you guys block it run it back for a TD. Then, we return the kickoff for a td and win that way. You never know.

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Ignorant load of crap.

Average yards per Play:
App 5.4
GSU 3.2

The only ownage there is by the App D.

Red Zone Efficiency:
App 2 for 2
GSU 2 for 4

GSU with 4 downs to go inside the ASU 10, and go nowhere. Multiple times. That is ownage.

And you know our defense was in Monken's head... when on one of those 1st and goal situations... they tried to THROW the ball 3 out of 4 plays to try to get into the endzone. xeekx

eaglewraith
November 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Nobody has said that it was a good call. Although it was a lot harder call to make than you'd have us believe, it was a missed call. The point is that it was NOT why you lost.

The refs botched a clear GSU fumble in the 4th where the runner was nowhere near down and ASU recovered the ball but they ruled down by contact. If they review that and get it correct, ASU gets yet another possession with good field position. Your big kick return that set up a FG to get you on the board in the first half was sprung by a blatant hold. You know as well as I do that if the game had gone the other way and ASU fans were on here crying about those missed calls, you would have the same reaction to us as you are getting now.

SoCon refs suck. We all know this but it goes both ways. Your team was out played on Saturday and you lost. Get over it.

You forget about the horsecollar at the end of that one. Would have just been a rekick due to offsetting penalties if the hold had been called, with the strong possibility that Laron would bust free again. He's been doing that to a lot of teams this year.

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
You forget about the horsecollar at the end of that one. Would have just been a rekick due to offsetting penalties if the hold had been called, with the strong possibility that Laron would bust free again. He's been doing that to a lot of teams this year.

If we are just assuming that a re-kick would have resulted in him busting free without benefit of a hold, then let's just assume Quick would have caught the TD pass perfectly on 4th down. He's been catching TD passes on a lot of teams this year.

We can go back and forth all day about what might have happened but the game is over and that is what did happen. Quick was credited for the TD. You guys had an INT return inside the 10 after that and could not capitalize, which was the 2nd time you were shut out with goal to go in the 2nd half. The opportunities were there and the GSU offense really had no answer for the ASU defense.

Rekdiver
November 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Makes no difference. They' did or didn't. it's over. Should not have come down to a "no call" We won, you lost. I hope to hell we are focused on FU.

I-16Bandit
November 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM

xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

trusty
November 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
I can't believe there is still a discussion on this. You guys know we have Homecoming this weekend against THE Citadel right?

Blue Eagle
November 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
As I see it ASU outplayed us in the first half. We outplayed them the second half.

ASU deserved to win the game when they stopped us 3 times inside the 10 yard line.

We would have won the game the way we were playing in the second half if the ASU touchdown in the fourth quarter had been called correctly.

It was not even close to being a catch. Even the ASU announcers said it was a miss call!

There was not another game changing miss call!

GO EAGLES

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
ASU deserved to win the game when they stopped us 3 times inside the 10 yard line.

We would have won the game the way we were playing in the second half if the ASU touchdown in the fourth quarter had been called correctly.

No you wouldn't have. As you said in your first post-- y'all couldn't punch the ball into the endzone to save your damn life.

Y'all had your chances to win the game. With the ball in your hands DEEP in our territory.

But, y'all failed.

Repeatedly.

xrolleyesxxsmhx

SideLine Shooter
November 2nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
No you wouldn't have. As you said in your first post-- y'all couldn't punch the ball into the endzone to save your damn life.

Y'all had your chances to win the game. With the ball in your hands DEEP in our territory.

But, y'all failed.

Repeatedly.

xrolleyesxxsmhx

I like to think that ASU stuffed them inside the 10.

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
As I see it ASU outplayed us in the first half. We outplayed them the second half.

It was not even close to being a catch. Even the ASU announcers said it was a miss call!

There was not another game changing miss call!

GO EAGLES

GSU put together one scoring drive all day. 10 of your 17 points were direct result of punt/kick returns, which do not occur in college OT. You had one first down in the 4th Quarter, which was a result of a penalty. Even if you tied the game, what really makes you think GSU wins in OT? Just curious.

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I feel like I need to repost this in this thread:
http://oi43.tinypic.com/25rj9xe.jpg

xbabycryx

GSU EAGLES
November 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I feel like I need to repost this in this thread:
http://oi43.tinypic.com/25rj9xe.jpg

xbabycryx

I would repost the youtube clip of the young man juggling, but I have moved on. Unfortunately, Jelly you have not. Don't you guys have a big game on Saturday?

For the record though, if I have not been clear, it was clearly a juggle!

straightshooter
November 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
GSU put together one scoring drive all day. 10 of your 17 points were direct result of punt/kick returns, which do not occur in college OT. You had one first down in the 4th Quarter, which was a result of a penalty. Even if you tied the game, what really makes you think GSU wins in OT? Just curious.

I've long since moved on to the next game, but since you asked... Neither O did enough in the second half to make me think they could put one in the end zone, so there's a good chance that OT could come down to FG. I'd take GSU's Mora over any kicker the Mountaineers could run onto the field.

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'd take GSU's Mora over any kicker the Mountaineers could run onto the field.

Too bad your Messiah of a coach, who can do no wrong, kept going for it on 4th down instead of kicking field goals with your automatic FG kicker.

He makes three... y'all win... BQ touchdown or not.

Poor fellers. :(

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2nw3mgw.jpg

http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Neither O did enough in the second half to make me think they could put one in the end zone

You mean, other than when we put one in the end zone?

Sorry, couldn't resist. No need to continue beating this dead horse, game is over. Maybe we'll meet again this year, maybe not. Good luck the rest of the way, I really did enjoy your fans in Boone.

Beat Wofford. That is all.