PDA

View Full Version : ETSU President Search.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 31st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Recently, ETSU hosted a final round of interviews for the President's position. The three finalists are:

- Robert Frank, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at Kent State University in Ohio

- Brian Noland, chancellor of the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

- Sandra Patterson-Randles, chancellor of Indiana University Southeast

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Living/article.php?id=95386

When asked about football, they gave the following responses:

Frank - “There’s a lot of advantage to a football program,” Frank said. “If I become president, I think it’s a worthy conversation that should continue. I’m entirely sympathetic to it but you got to take it on in a way the university can manage.”

Read more: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Living/article.php?id=95341#ixzz1cPcqeiSA

Noland said any discussion of football should involve campus and community.

“I need to see the feasibility study,” Noland said. “I need to get a sense of the cost. We can do anything if there’s community support.”

Read more: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Living/article.php?id=95360#ixzz1cPd3MVRQ

“First of all that is very much a campus decision,” Patterson-Randles said. “I am not opposed to football necessarily, but you have to be practical about it.”

Read more: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Living/article.php?id=95376#ixzz1cPdDQtwP

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Frank being the guy (as far as football returning to campus is concerned) with Noland being a strong second. A decision will be made by mid-November.

GaSouthern
October 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM
I hope they bring back football!

SideLine Shooter
October 31st, 2011, 08:50 PM

Ditto!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM
As an alumnus of ETSU, I cannot agree with you anymore on this.

dgtw
October 31st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Here's how I translated their statements.......

Frank.....I'm all for it, if we can find the money. I'll do what I can to find the money.

Noland...I'm for having a team, but it will tick off all the pointy headed types and I don't want to make them mad.

Patterson-Randles-I'm as woman. My last name is hyphenated. Do you really think I'm going to let you have a football team?

apaladin
October 31st, 2011, 10:09 PM

Only if they don't play in that d*** dome.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM
I think this is something just about everyone in the SoCon can agree on...we miss our long lost brethren from Johnson City and would like to see ETSU bring back football

(and personally, I would love to see them back in the SoCon)

I vote for Robert Frank!

T-Dog
November 1st, 2011, 05:05 AM

When ETSU had a student vote on it 2-3 years ago, there were renderings for a new, outdoor stadium.

The whole situation is a giant wrong that needs to be righted.

terrierbob
November 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
When did they drop football?

dgtw
November 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
When did they drop football?

http://www.bucfootball.com/history.html

After the 2003 season.

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Here's how I translated their statements.......

Patterson-Randles-I'm as woman. My last name is hyphenated. Do you really think I'm going to let you have a football team?

That's pretty funny, and probably pretty accurate, based on her response (not her hyphen). Cue all the sex discrimination claims.

dgtw
November 1st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Not to generalize, but a hyphenated last name, to me, says the woman is something of a woman's libber. Now, there is nothing wrong with having the hyphen or being a libber. Yes, my comment was supposed to be funny, but her remarks indicated she would not want football back.

TheRevSFA
November 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM
The dome!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/ETSU.jpg

OL FU
November 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM

ditto

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 12:37 PM
If you play GSU, make sure you hire a President that can bob and weave... :)

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM
The dome!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/ETSU.jpg

They would have to build a new stadium...the "far side seats" are condemned because of fire code laws. Basketball can now only use one side of the stadium because of it. A retro-fit would be every expensive...easier to just start over.

Of course, that is actually a good thing, but they need to replace the Mini Dump asap.

I remember going to a basketball game up there in the early 90's (at the height of the UTC/ETSU basketball rivalry)...they were sponsored by US Air...I joked that the sponsorship including the storing of planes in the off season. :)

dgtw
November 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Why did they leave the SoCon? Were they forced out after dropping football? If football is revived, would they go Pioneer League or try to get back in the SoCon or OVC?

Right now, according to Wikipedia, they have seven men's and eight women's sports. They have volleyball along with basketball, golf tennis, soccer, baseball/softball, track and cross country. I suppose that would be 8/9 if they have indoor track. Anyway, they'd have to add a couple of women's sports if they bring back football.

Maybe if they revive the program, Johnson City native Steve Spurrier could be the coach.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
Why did they leave the SoCon? Were they forced out after dropping football? If football is revived, would they go Pioneer League or try to get back in the SoCon or OVC?

Right now, according to Wikipedia, they have seven men's and eight women's sports. They have volleyball along with basketball, golf tennis, soccer, baseball/softball, track and cross country. I suppose that would be 8/9 if they have indoor track. Anyway, they'd have to add a couple of women's sports if they bring back football.

Maybe if they revive the program, Johnson City native Steve Spurrier could be the coach.

It all started when ETSU dropped the football program. My understanding of it was that there was a discussion among SoCon schools about ETSU remaining in the league but then the OVC became a possibility. A few months later, Stanton and Mullins decided that the Atlantic Sun, a league that lost a number of teams to FBS and FCS conferences since the Bucs joined, was the best fit for ETSU.

As far as adding women's sports, the only ones I see happening would be swimming/diving and bowling if football came back. I am very sure that would go down well in Columbia if Spurrier came home to coach the Bucs, since I figure it would be awhile before Spurrier leaves USC.

I offered up a proposal to ETSU leadership a few years ago that proposed a return as a non-scholarship entity at a bare minimum only to get a response from Mullins saying that I was full of crap.

TheBisonator
November 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM
I REALLY hope ETSU brings back football. The type of school ETSU is does not belong in the A-Sun. It's like if NDSU was in the DII Northern Sun Conference. If they built a new 10-12,000 seat outdoor stadium and maybe a new 5,000-seat BB arena, the SoCon would welcome them back with open arms.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 1st, 2011, 08:54 PM
After visiting the ETSU bbs (which I am not a member), the buzz is that Frank and Noland are the favorites. Speaking of facilities, if an outdoor stadium is what ETSU is looking for, I would suggest Summers-Taylor Stadium. Yes, it is configured for soccer but it would be interesting to see if the field can also be used for football with little effort. If that can be done, the next step would be to add seating with eventual expansion to 30k.

TheBisonator
November 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
After visiting the ETSU bbs (which I am not a member), the buzz is that Frank and Noland are the favorites. Speaking of facilities, if an outdoor stadium is what ETSU is looking for, I would suggest Summers-Taylor Stadium. Yes, it is configured for soccer but it would be interesting to see if the field can also be used for football with little effort. If that can be done, the next step would be to add seating with eventual expansion to 30k.

http://www.atlanticsun.org/media/2011-12/images/asun-msoc-champ686.jpg

Build a huge 8-10,000 seat grandstand on the right side and a nice jumbotron, and I think you're all set!!

The grass even looks nice. You may not need turf.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM
The latest on the ETSU President Search, it could be a week or so before a new leader is named as the TBR Chancellor is reviewing the input.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Living/article.php?id=95594

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Meeting has been scheduled for Monday for a full Board vote on who the next ETSU president will be.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=95912

Check out the comment, if it's Patterson-Randles, fuggedaboutit when it comes to football coming back.

T-Dog
November 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I went to the ASU/ETSU hoops game last night. The Mini Dump is still the same. Tiles peeling off the roof, one side of bleachers is condemned, indifferent student fan base. Their hardcord fanbase is aging every year as there's no new blood. It won't be too much longer before the entire Dome is condemned at this rate. ETSU needs some new life pumped into it and football can be the answer.

olejack
November 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM
A subject near and dear (well maybe not dear) to my heart. I became a UTC Moc (and damn proud of it) because my beloved alma mater allowed a dumba$$ like Stanton to kill the football program. As is the case in all of these situations, it was all about money....or rather prioritizing where the money went. I encourage all to check out (website to follow) the amount of money spent and where it was spent since the death of the football program. New library, 3 new dormatories, 2 new soccer facilities, new womens softball facility, the purchase of commercial property that was/is joined to the campus for $300,000.00 that had no planned use when purchased but was good for the university for future use, expansion of med school, new pharmacy school (and by the way, trying to keep 2 other med and pharmacy schools from starting up in the area) and a total budget that is double what it was when the football program was still around. As again is the case in these situations, all athletic programs could always need and use more money, but the money was always there for the football program at ETSU. Bottom line, much disingenuineness from Stanton and Co. as to why the program had to die and there is a lot of info to support and identify that but I won't get into all that. But what is the greater shame of it all....the Tri-Cities community, Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol and surrounding area stood by with their thumbs up their butts and watched, no allowed it to happen. As a former Buccaneer alum I hope the football Bucs make it back. If the new incoming president doesn't make it happen....to hell with ETSU. GO MOCS!

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My grandfather-who loved sports, and from whom my love of sports was fostered-lived his whole life in Mitchell county, NC (aside from WWII). Johnson City was the closest urban area to his home and he used to take me over there often when I stayed with him as a boy. Because of this, I have fond memories of the ETSU mini-dome (even though, as an adult, I know it is a dump). I was saddened when ETSU dropped football and left the SOCON.

I have worked in East Tennesee, in the Tri-Cities area, several times and know lots of fine people from over there. Even though most of them are rabid Vols fans, I still think that ETSU could attract a solid following if they revived football and returned to the SOCON. Heck, it's only another hour or so from Boone. When they hosted ASU they would probably get an additional 10,000 Black and Gold visitors.

Blue Eagle
November 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I certainly hope ETSU restarts their football program & would support them rejoining the SoCon 100%.

With the proper support from their administration and from the fans I think they could be very competitive in the SoCon.

Also, the SoCon should tell the College of Charleston & UNC Greensboro to remain in the conference they have to start football programs!

Finally, invite Marshall back into the conference! Who knows maybe they would accept. Their Glory days were when they were in the SoCon.

"WELCOME BACK BUCS"

cbarrier90
November 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
A subject near and dear (well maybe not dear) to my heart. I became a UTC Moc (and damn proud of it) because my beloved alma mater allowed a dumba$$ like Stanton to kill the football program. As is the case in all of these situations, it was all about money....or rather prioritizing where the money went. I encourage all to check out (website to follow) the amount of money spent and where it was spent since the death of the football program. New library, 3 new dormatories, 2 new soccer facilities, new womens softball facility, the purchase of commercial property that was/is joined to the campus for $300,000.00 that had no planned use when purchased but was good for the university for future use, expansion of med school, new pharmacy school (and by the way, trying to keep 2 other med and pharmacy schools from starting up in the area) and a total budget that is double what it was when the football program was still around. As again is the case in these situations, all athletic programs could always need and use more money, but the money was always there for the football program at ETSU. Bottom line, much disingenuineness from Stanton and Co. as to why the program had to die and there is a lot of info to support and identify that but I won't get into all that. But what is the greater shame of it all....the Tri-Cities community, Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol and surrounding area stood by with their thumbs up their butts and watched, no allowed it to happen. As a former Buccaneer alum I hope the football Bucs make it back. If the new incoming president doesn't make it happen....to hell with ETSU. GO MOCS!

If ETSU restarted football, would you support it?

olejack
November 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
If ETSU restarted football, would you support it?

Would I support it?! I know you don't know me and no way you could know how much I have participated in trying to get the program back but in a word....yes. I know I probably sounded a bit whiney in my previous post but a lot of BS went on behind the scene that gave the impression that the university was behind keeping football and then bringing it back after it died but nothing could have been further from the truth. When someone is lied to, to their face, it makes a difference in your perspective. There was no reason for ETSU to have killed their football program other than the fact that they have a president that was positively no friend of the Buccaneer football program. Now that I have ties to UTC I am a Moc, but if ETSU brings back Buc football I will be a Buc and a Moc.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Not to mention a new baseball stadium opening up this spring. ETSU also started a men's soccer program a few years ago (not many people go see a soccer game).

dgtw
November 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM
So a library, dorms, a pharmacy school, expanding a medical school and land acquisition are bad things?

olejack
November 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM
So a library, dorms, a pharmacy school, expanding a medical school and land acquisition are bad things?

Absolutely not! They are great things and I am proud of the fact that these things were accomplished. But they could have been done without killing the football program. Again, the lies and spin put out about trying to maintain the football program were astonishing. How does a university that supposedly has no money for the football program able to spend $300K on an approx 100 x 100 lot of property that when purchased the university said they had no plans for the property but because it ajoined the schools grounds it seemed like a good idea to own the property for future possibilities? I can't say for sure what the property is actually used for at present but if I'm not mistaken it is a nicely landscaped brick wall that serves one of the several attractive looking entrances on to the school grounds. They can afford to have that but not a football program that was around since 1920 and had survived the Great Depression, WWII and all other challenges in our history up until it couldn't survive P. Stanton in 2004. Also take a look at all the other Southern Conference schools endowment monies. While ETSU is certainly not at the top of the list, it's more than App St., WCU, Ga Sou and is very comparable to UTC. How is it that all of those I just listed have continued to have a football program but ETSU can't manage to? The answer, priority of other programs at the expense of the football program.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
It's official, the TBR Chancellor has recommended Dr. Brian Noland to be the next president. TBR vote will be Monday.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=95961

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
crap, so what percentage do y'all think there is of Football coming back under his command?

25%?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
crap, so what percentage do y'all think there is of Football coming back under his command?

25%?

Based on the vibe I have been seeing from the ETSUFans website, Noland is a good hire and may have to clean house on the athletics side. Mullins was unpopular among his SoCon counterparts as a tennis coach AND as an AD. The students and faculty like Noland and I believe he will grow ETSU. I have indicated that Noland would be a strong second as far as football returning was concerned. I believe football will return with Noland, the question is when? I am figuring within five years of Noland taking the wheel.

OL FU
November 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Finally, invite Marshall back into the conference! Who knows maybe they would accept. Their Glory days were when they were in the SoCon.

"

Excuse me, Invite "We Are Cheaters" back in the conferencexsmhx

ETSU is fine though

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Dr. Brian Noland has been approved by the TBR in an unanimous vote, he will take over on January 15.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Living/article.php?id=96059