PDA

View Full Version : A&M-CC Hires Company to Perform Football Study

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 08:55 AM
If you recall on I-AA Waves a few weeks ago, the head of the SLC stated that no expansion is needed as several institutions within the conference that do not sponsor football (UTSA, UT-Arlington, Lamar and A&M-CC) have taken or are in the process of taking looks at football. Here's the latest from the university on the island...

------------
A&M-CC taps firm for opinion on football
Consultant's study estimated to last at least six months

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
May 5, 2006

The next step in Texas A&M-Corpus Christi's look into football is to put the ball in someone else's hands.

A&M-Corpus Christi, examining whether football could be a possibility on campus, has decided on NACDA Consulting to conduct a thorough report on the feasibility of fielding a football team. Arthur Haas, the university's chairman of the football consulting committee, said NACDA had everything needed in a football consultant.

"They had everything from experience to price to the overall proposal," Haas said. "Their proposal was the best proposal we had seen."

Haas said NACDA was selected from among six companies that pitched proposals to the university, and said the company estimated its study would take at least six months.

http://www.caller.com/ccct/islanders/article/0,1641,CCCT_820_4675819,00.html

walliver
May 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Usually, these consultants tell you what you want to hear. Any hint on what they are looking for,

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Usually, these consultants tell you what you want to hear. Any hint on what they are looking for,

A&M-CC's now resigned AD said that he wanted to give football a serious look for 2010, when the institution is set on hitting the 10,000 student mark...

I still think that's the intent of the program, to position themselves to have football sometime between 2010 and 2012. I think they'd add womens' soccer for Title IX purposes which would be great for the SLC, where soccer is a relative new sport, which picks up UTSA for soccer this coming year along with UCA...

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2006, 07:02 AM
A big part of this process is getting an AD on board. A football-background AD could definitely signal something to the Islander faithful...

South Texas Report: 05.16.06

By from staff and correspondent reports
May 16, 2006

Committee gives date for A&M-CC finalists

As the search for an athletic director continues at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, the committee charged with finding a replacement for Dan Viola has set May 22 as its target to deliver the names of finalists to the university president.

Ann DeGaish, who chairs the search committee, said she is hopeful the committee will present president Flavius Killebrew with eight to 10 names next week. She added that candidates might be brought in for visits as early as June 5.

DeGaish stressed that, technically, none of the 50-plus who have applied have been eliminated. The committee has been going through and evaluating and double-checking credentials.

"My goal is to present something to Dr. Killebrew next Monday, and we hope to have candidates on campus as early as June 5," DeGaish said. "This is all tentative."

http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_878_4702348,00.html

Tealblood
May 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Is A&M CC already in your conference

GeauxLions94
May 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Officially joins July 1, 2006 along with Central Arkansas :hurray: Hello Islanders, Bears ... Goodbye Louisiana-Monroe :rolleyes:

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Was an affiliate member prior to getting full status in the conference. Played mens' tennis. Definitely will add to our conference in both MBB and WBB...

Freightliner
May 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Was an affiliate member prior to getting full status in the conference. Played mens' tennis. Definitely will add to our conference in both MBB and WBB...

I just came back from visting some friends of my wife in Corpus. The Husband is a archetict and the wife works at A&M-CC.

The campus (located right across the street from the beach) has a LOT of new buildings except for one...their gym...BUT the arena they play in (located on the other end of the seawall) is top notch and their baseball/softball fields are good...if they can only build stadium seating for them. They also have the AA affiliate field there so large baseball games are not a problem for them. They have a VERY large practice field for soccer which could also be expanded once football comes online there. They are scheduled to begin building an athletic complex in June...supposed to be very large, but didnt get any exact numbers on space/rooms/etc.

Football in 2010 is going to be a stretch for them IMHO. I dont think they have the land to build a stadium on campus so they will probably have to build off campus or renovate one of the high school stadiums.

I think by 2012 they might be ready to go.

Green Cookie Monster
May 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
6 month study, year long internal review, years long monetary fundraising, decade long facility construction. They might get football at CC, but it won't be any time soon.

If they are located right on the seawall, another Katrina and the campus is toast. Texas is predicted to receive up to three hurricanes this year.

paytonlives
May 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I just came back from visting some friends of my wife in Corpus. The Husband is a archetict and the wife works at A&M-CC.

The campus (located right across the street from the beach) has a LOT of new buildings except for one...their gym...BUT the arena they play in (located on the other end of the seawall) is top notch and their baseball/softball fields are good...if they can only build stadium seating for them. They also have the AA affiliate field there so large baseball games are not a problem for them. They have a VERY large practice field for soccer which could also be expanded once football comes online there. They are scheduled to begin building an athletic complex in June...supposed to be very large, but didnt get any exact numbers on space/rooms/etc.

Football in 2010 is going to be a stretch for them IMHO. I dont think they have the land to build a stadium on campus so they will probably have to build off campus or renovate one of the high school stadiums.

I think by 2012 they might be ready to go.

Hey Freighliner-

Im new here, whos the dude with the freeky eyes as your signature?

Sly Fox
May 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I believe the plan is to play at Buc Stadium on an interim basis. It would be adequate at the outset.

The campus is actually right on the bay and not the beach. Would a catastrophic hurricane wreak havoc on campus? Of course. But what coastal school along the lower Atlantic or Gulf doesn't have similar concerns?

Viola's replacement will be key to whether or not football could be a reality by 2010. I'd love to see it happen and I believe the Corpus community would really get behind it.

Freightliner
May 16th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Hey Freighliner-

Im new here, whos the dude with the freeky eyes as your signature?

Dont know exactly...buddy of mine clipped it out of a mag and sent it to me stating...."wouldnt you love to see a guy like this walking down a dark alley?"

I was like UHHH...NO! xlolx

Duck_Mav
May 16th, 2006, 04:52 PM

The more the merrier. We could have a pretty good football conference if 2 or 3 of the schools talking about football ever fielded teams. It's still not a high priority at UT Arlington, but that could change quickly if/when we get our arena project funded. I wonder if TAMU Corpus Christie has considered talking to Frank Pergolessi, the former AD who brought football back to Southeastern Louisiana. He did a heckuva job there.

Tealblood
May 17th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I asked about the conference affiliation because A&M CC plays softball as an associate member of the Big South. In fact won the conference a couple of times. Overall they were not that good but had girl I think her name was Pauly who was an awesome pitcher. Come tournament time would pitch all games and was unhittable.

Tealblood
May 17th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I point this out because I wondered why your conf did not have Softball

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM
I point this out because I wondered why your conf did not have Softball

Our conference has softball. In fact, we've had two teams get into the NCAA from the SLC from time to time...

A&M-CC was independent, just had affiliate in the SLC for mens' tennis (so we had enough to get the auto bid). Nothing else. I do not believe they applied for SLC admission before, but I do not think we've had an open process as we did when UCA, Tarleton St, A&M-CC, Centenary and UTPA applied this past year...

Tealblood
May 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I wonder why A&M CC played softball in the big south then if they were already an affiliate in other sports

Sly Fox
May 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM
A few years back, the Islanders were trolling for any league they could find that would accept them for softball in order to get an auto bid. The Big South agreed on the basis that no travelling to South Texas would be necessary. That's why there has been that screwy weekend where the islanders would play all of their league games against everyone over a couple of days. They would then return for conference tourney.

Now that they are full members of the Southland, they have no need for the Big South.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I wonder why A&M CC played softball in the big south then if they were already an affiliate in other sports

Just for one sport...

And that was the SLC making an attempt to get an auto-bid for men's tennis. We didn't need them in softball and that was a pretty wacky deal they had with the Big South. Did them well as they had a fair amount of success...

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM
With football on the mind, here's the four who will interview for the Islanders' AD job...all, coming from football playing institutions...

Four will interview to be new Isles AD

List already was narrowed from 56 to six finalists

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
May 27, 2006

Flavius Killebrew didn't exactly trim the list of candidates for Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, but he did select four candidates to interview for the athletic director's position.

Killebrew, the university president, announced at a Friday afternoon news conference that Baylor's Bill Chaves, North Texas' Hank Dickenson, Scott Farmer of Troy (Ala.) and Cincinnati's Brian Teter were picked to interview for the job in June.

The four were selected by Killebrew from among six finalists, pared down by a search committee that started with 56 applicants. Killebrew said he did not remember "off the top of my head" the names of the other two candidates. Rice's Mike Pede said earlier this week that he was one of the final six.

http://www.caller.com/ccct/islanders/article/0,1641,CCCT_820_4732291,00.html

Dallas Demon
May 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM

The more the merrier. We could have a pretty good football conference if 2 or 3 of the schools talking about football ever fielded teams. It's still not a high priority at UT Arlington, but that could change quickly if/when we get our arena project funded. I wonder if TAMU Corpus Christie has considered talking to Frank Pergolessi, the former AD who brought football back to Southeastern Louisiana. He did a heckuva job there.

Are the students at UTA upset with the president for saying no to bringing back football (put on hold at least) after the students voted to raise fees to support bringing back football?

chrisattsu
May 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Are the students at UTA upset with the president for saying no to bringing back football (put on hold at least) after the students voted to raise fees to support bringing back football?

My Brother, who attends UTA, said he is furious that they are not bring back football after the student body voted to raise the fees.

Currently, the University is trying to market itself to the students in the metroplex and develop its own identity rather than some fallback or commuter school. Their current message is "Be a Maverick!" basically we are just as good as the other options in the metroplex (TCU, SMU, UNT) and yes we are part of the UT system, but we are Arlington

Dallas Demon
May 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
My Brother, who attends UTA, said he is furious that they are not bring back football after the student body voted to raise the fees.

Currently, the University is trying to market itself to the students in the metroplex and develop its own identity rather than some fallback or commuter school. Their current message is "Be a Maverick!" basically we are just as good as the other options in the metroplex (TCU, SMU, UNT) and yes we are part of the UT system, but we are Arlington

IMO, UTA is doing a very poor job in this area as UNT is whipping them big-time. Yes, they need a basketball arena but they haven't taken action on that forever anyway. UTA has a fine football stadium, it's a shame not to see a big university enrollment-wise (25,000?) with a football history not playing football. : smh :

Purple Pride
August 15th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I heard TAMU-CC's AD was fired, and the NCAA came in and slapped the university with a lack of institutional control tag, along with 8 major violations.

What's up with that mess?

TexasTerror
August 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
You are a few weeks late... ;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44660