PDA

View Full Version : 20 Fordham players missed the Army game

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Is this true? From what I gather one of the team buses broke down which caused 20players to miss the game.

I've never heard of anything like this happening.

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2011, 06:24 PM
The Fordham board said it is true. I wonder if they were guys that would've actually got in the game, or just a bus of injured and young guys who normally wouldn't travel.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2011, 06:34 PM
The Fordham board said it is true. I wonder if they were guys that would've actually got in the game, or just a bus of injured and young guys who normally wouldn't travel.

Glancing at the depth chart, there did seem to be a number of missing players on Fordham, compared to who played against Lehigh a few weeks ago, though I wouldn't have noticed it as unusual, probably, on a team that's struggling.

ngineer
October 31st, 2011, 10:11 PM
Masella memo to AD...more money for decent buses, less for scholarships...

crusader11
October 31st, 2011, 10:25 PM
What an embarrassment this Fordham team has been this year.

Pard4Life
November 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Ha ha!! That's outrageous! Tavani learned his lesson about hoteling at Princeton... precisely because of this!

Too bad Bucknell didn't breakdown.

Pard4Life
November 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM
The Lafayette and Colgate people lament how bad we are, but at least we are not Fordham... they have scholarships and are awful, have nothing to play for, and behave like they don't want to be in the PL. They don't even recognize Lafayette as an opponent and instead advertise Army tickets as the number one story... we can see how that turned out.

Bogus Megapardus
November 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM
The Lafayette and Colgate people lament how bad we are, but at least we are not Fordham... they have scholarships and are awful, have nothing to play for, and behave like they don't want to be in the PL. They don't even recognize Lafayette as an opponent and instead advertise Army tickets as the number one story... we can see how that turned out.

I thought that was interesting - Fordham's athletics web site made no mention of the fact that Fordham was playing Lafayette in a football game. Whether it was an oversight, whether Fordham somehow no longer recognizes Lafayette as its academic or athletic peer, or whether Fordham simply no longer recognizes the Patriot League itself - I don't know. But the great thing is that Lafayette kicked Fordham's arse, and the Pards are so bad that we lost to both Georgetown and Bucknell.

Note to Fordham - if you're going to dis your former league-mates, at least try to make it look like you have something to back it up.

appfan2008
November 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM
could they not get them to the game any other way?

that just sounds outrageous...

Pard4Life
November 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
They probably had three busses so it would have been tight, plus equipment etc on a snowy and slick hilly road is not the best idea. They should have just taken the train!

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM

Fordham was down 42-0 with 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

jimbo65
November 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Three or four buses left Fordham and, believe it or not, stopped at the Marriott Tarrytown,for lunch. Tarrytown is about 20 miles from Fordham with West Point about another 50 miles. Why this stop, who knows. At any rate , one bus broke down. The seats were redistributed with the injured players etc. left at the hotel to await a replacement.By the time the replacement bus arrived the roads were a mess and the people got back to campus about the same time as the players.

The entire day became a fiasco. Rams sold 4000 tickets plus many more thru west Point. Fordham had a pre game tent reception which had to be stopped about 1 hour after it started due to snow piling up on the tent top. With the exception of the cadet corps, virtually nobody showed up for the game although it was Army's only sellout this yr.

The "game" if you can call it that, was worst of all. The team didn't quit, they never showed up. Truly a shameful performance. The coach should be replaced immediately. Frankly, I went to last year's game v. Colgate where the team did quit.

Unfortunately, this awful performance will get covered by the snow angle, no pun intended.

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
I might be out of the loop, but is Fordham leaving the Patriot League? If so where are they going? Also is it correct on the ESPN website that they only have 4 home games this year?

van
November 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM
I might be out of the loop, but is Fordham leaving the Patriot League? If so where are they going? Also is it correct on the ESPN website that they only have 4 home games this year?

Agree, you are out of the loop.

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Agree, you are out of the loop.

Thanks for the help!

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM

Fordham may be leaving, but no direction is forthcoming from either side. Assuming PL teams are scheduling Fordham in 2013, and what hapens if they move quickly elsewhere?

Four home games is not unusual for the PL. Georgetown only had four this year (with only one non-conference game), but with the MSF it's not a surprise.

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM

Fordham is still "officially" a member of the PL. However since they are not following a core league rule, and offer merit rather than need based scholarships, they are ineligible to win the PL championship and games involving Fordham do not count in league standings. So technically they are in the PL, but have none of the rights of a league member. It is essentially a scheduling arrangement.

Where will Fordham go? We don't know. They want the CAA, but the CAA wants all sports members. Unless there is a large shake-up in NE FCS football conference alingment, their best option appears to be the Big South. They are most likley the only full scholarship FCS league anywhere near them that will accept a new football only member.

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you.

And that is very weird that a whole bus didn't even make it to the game, but with the weather out that way this weekend it isn't terribly surprising. After the game I am sure the kids on the other buses wished they hadn't made it there either.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM
I think the real story here is why Fordham didn't arrange to stay in a hotel closer to West Point. It's surprisingly rural up there, and someone ought to have known by Wednesday that the snowfall might have a big effect on the team travelling to the game.

Had they simply traveled on Friday and stayed at West Point, it wouldn't have become an issue at all.