PDA

View Full Version : Elon RB Jamal Shuman has epic public Twitter meltdown

Umpire
October 31st, 2011, 04:28 PM
The account has since been deleted. NSFW

http://deadspin.com/5854783/the-sad-saga-of-a-college-football-player-who-didnt-understand-how-twitter-works/gallery/

youwouldno
October 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hilarious.

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM
lmfao

Twentysix
October 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Wow.

danefan
October 31st, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wow is right. There's a reason why most DI schools have social media training for their athletes.

This kid just became a classroom example.

phoenixphanatic21
October 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Yea, wow is about all I got for that.

james_lawfirm
October 31st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hmmm ... he represents Elon well. Just kidding. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

blueballs
October 31st, 2011, 05:08 PM
Well, one thing's for sure... they teach 'em how to spell f--k correctly at Elon.

dgreco
October 31st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Sadly, the kid is frustrated and he didn't think this out. I am sure players say this stuff all time, except he made a big mistake. I feel bad blaming the kid, because he is a kid... But he will regret ever doing it; and rightfully so.

GaSouthern
October 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Pretty good use of English there

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2011, 06:39 PM
They appear to have some low admission standards. Even so, I be the old United Church of Christ will have a problem with all the profanity.

I-16Bandit
October 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
U mad bro?

SideLine Shooter
October 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
I guess he is ready for the Dallas Cowboys now!

Bogus Megapardus
October 31st, 2011, 09:07 PM
The account has since been deleted. NSFW

His MySpace account is active, however. It contains the same content - followed by an attempt to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

http://www.myspace.com/weezy32

Note to Patriot League fans - be careful what you wish for.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2011, 09:26 PM
His MySpace account is active, however. It contains the same content - followed by an attempt to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Yes, the tone definitely changed after he figured out what was going on. The messages after his realization became a whole lot less "curse curse n-word curse curse" and a whole lot more like he was in church.

AppinATL
October 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM
As much as I love the black eye this gives E-Loan, I actually feel sorry for this kid. I don't know how anyone can possibly not know that what you Tweet is gonna be private, but he seems genuinely sorry and has apparently been taking a lot of heat.

phoenixphanatic21
October 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM

People still use Myspace?

phoenixphanatic21
October 31st, 2011, 09:39 PM
As much as I love the black eye this gives E-Loan, I actually feel sorry for this kid. I don't know how anyone can possibly not know that what you Tweet is gonna be private, but he seems genuinely sorry and has apparently been taking a lot of heat.

I think he is genuine and feel awful for him. At the same time, you got to be smarter than that. Unfortunately for him and most likely Elon, this will be a black cloud that follows him no matter where he goes. He really seems like he would take it all back if he could.

NoCoDanny
October 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah the best way to hide something like this is to post it to myspace, I think the govt. is now using myspace to hide people in the witness protection program.

But if he really was all conference 2 years ago he's hot a point.... If you weren't a senior I'd say come here you'd play all day, heck Stephen Hawking could start in our secondary.

superman7515
October 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM
People still use Myspace?

Haha. That was my first thought as well.

I-16Bandit
October 31st, 2011, 11:19 PM
I think the best thing for him to do now is just to STFU and leave it all alone.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2011, 02:05 AM
I think he is genuine and feel awful for him. At the same time, you got to be smarter than that. Unfortunately for him and most likely Elon, this will be a black cloud that follows him no matter where he goes. He really seems like he would take it all back if he could.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking (or reading). H. Jackson Browne, Jr.

I think he is genuinely sorry...that he got caught...especially now that he a national punchline (err, headline)

I particularly like this one...

Wit our p**** a$$ coaches... Dumb s**t yea I said it dey all ******in p****... Lik how da ****** can u let me sit on da sideline each ******in game

I feel sorry for Elon.

MSUBobcat
November 1st, 2011, 02:34 AM
Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking (or reading). H. Jackson Browne, Jr.

I think he is genuinely sorry...that he got caught...especially now that he a national punchline (err, headline)

I particularly like this one...

Wit our p**** a$$ coaches... Dumb s**t yea I said it dey all ******in p****... Lik how da ****** can u let me sit on da sideline each ******in game

I feel sorry for Elon.

He's a kid and had no idea what was in store for him by posting on Twitter. Should he have known? Duh... You see this on tv all the time (even politicians still don't understand email, twitter, text aren't private). He knows he messed up bad. Hopefully, worst case scenario, he doesn't play again but can still get his degree (whatever it may be, didn't look it up) and have a successful life outside of football. Obviously, clean up the language for the interviews:D

Cleets
November 1st, 2011, 02:47 AM
He's a kid and had no idea what was in store for him by posting on Twitter. Should he have known? Duh... You see this on tv all the time (even politicians still don't understand email, twitter, text aren't private). He knows he messed up bad. Hopefully, worst case scenario, he doesn't play again but can still get his degree (whatever it may be, didn't look it up) and have a successful life outside of football. Obviously, clean up the language for the interviews:D

It seems miraculous that a person this stupid is even able to attend college...
Never mind "get a degree"
What kind of a degree could there possibly be available for him..?
And I'm not just referring to his ridiculous use of English - the whole situation is remarkable - borderline retarded

Here's a question for you:
Could you imagine walking around in the world being that stupid..?
But it doesn't end there - he's also pompous, self inflated, and egocentric to go along with his sense of grand entitlement he includes disrespectful and thankless - a fine match for his below average intelligence...
The Pride of the American University Athletics System

seantaylor
November 1st, 2011, 04:33 AM
Straight thug. Needs to go transfer to Murray with Hatcher.

fc97
November 1st, 2011, 07:04 AM
you guys can hit the english all you want

look at your own students and the twitter and facebook pages, sms texts and you'll see the same slack use of english. it's nothing to do with college and everything to do with the laziness of this generation

look at the occupy wall street protesters. this guy is a prime example of this generation's self centeredness. this is the way the entire generation thinks

Bogus Megapardus
November 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Oh, stewardess! Perhaps I can help . . . .

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/1520-355.jpg

GSUEagles#1
November 1st, 2011, 09:00 AM

look at your own students and the twitter and facebook pages, sms texts and you'll see the same slack use of english. it's nothing to do with college and everything to do with the laziness of this generation

look at the occupy wall street protesters. this guy is a prime example of this generation's self centeredness. this is the way the entire generation thinks

You cannot use this one person as an example os the entire generation. Being 25, I consider myself the same generation and take this as an entirelly offensive comment! Our generation is one of the first to deal with graduating into a bad economy and not being able to find jobs, I do NOT at all agree with the occupy protesters, but I do somewhat understand the pressure new graduates are under.

His tweets were a CLEAR represenation of bad english which I think ALL athletes can get bad reputations from, but don't blame it or anything else on an ENTIRE generation being lazy.

It is one thing to text a friend and use shortened english like "JK" "LOL" "ur" "NP" and "K", but that is NOT the same as what his messages were, they were nearly impossible to read. To me a text message or quick message to someone is meant to be quick and short. Does it mean I talk that way or am lazy? NO!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM

Wrong, Dope.

This is a prime example of the heightened sense of self that has been present in athletes since the dawn of time. He thinks he is way better than he is. As for the language, look at what he says AFTER he realizes some people are watching. I never understood the vile language that most people use when they are on Twitter, n-this and f-that. I don't know about Elon but at NDSU, all freshmen have to take Speech Comm 101.

By the way.....NDSU BS in Speech Communication

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
The real question is if Gucci has a point? Should he have been playing and not "sidelining"?

The stupidest part is he thought no one would find out about this. Apparently he didn't realize he could protect his tweets. I mean I guess that kind of defeats the purpose as you have to accept all your twitter followers and no one can retweet you. I wish I could feel bad for him, but people who are that dumb I can never feel bad for. He brought this all on himself so he has to live with it.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
The real question is if Gucci has a point? Should he have been playing and not "sidelining"?

The stupidest part is he thought no one would find out about this. Apparently he didn't realize he could protect his tweets. I mean I guess that kind of defeats the purpose as you have to accept all your twitter followers and no one can retweet you. I wish I could feel bad for him, but people who are that dumb I can never feel bad for. He brought this all on himself so he has to live with it.

Nobody who refers to themselves as "Gucci" has a point, ever.

fc97
November 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
i see it day in and out. no one in this generation knows how to deal with adversity. this entire generation is developed around no discipline and getting what you want

to add, your generation are the tweeters and smsers who have stopped using english because sms shorthand is much more convenient. not to worry, I use it too

all i am saying is you can walk around and hear your generation talk. you can see it in interviews with occupy protesters throughout the country. you see it at rallies for certain candidates. shuman's speech and grammer is the norm for a large porition of this generation

elon has a social media training class. notice he doesn't use his real name or email address so how would anyone trace it?

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2011, 10:30 AM
-

Terrierforlife
November 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Elon is actually a very good academic school.

oops, its those darn athletic scholarships

never mind

Typical post. "I see your true colors shining through!"

Terrierforlife
November 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Calm down fellas. The kid went nuts on twitter after a ball game, so what? He didn't understand that all would view or notice his tweets, obviously. He thought that he was venting to friends as this generation does, through texts, tweets, etc. To address the grammar, who cares. I'm sure his english papers don't look this way. Some of us live in more than one world, but can exist in all. Get over it.

ElonPride
November 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Calm down fellas. The kid went nuts on twitter after a ball game, so what? He didn't understand that all would view or notice his tweets, obviously. He thought that he was venting to friends as this generation does, through texts, tweets, etc. To address the grammar, who cares. I'm sure his english papers don't look this way. Some of us live in more than one world, but can exist in all. Get over it.

Since this cat is majoring in art, I'll give him a break for exercising his rights protected by the Constitution....not. Kick his @$$ off the team.

The school I attended taught a little more about global awareness than what we saw here. Obviously he needs to pay more attention in class than what happens on the field, because a career in football sure isn't in his future.

Terrierforlife
November 1st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Since this cat is majoring in art, I'll give him a break for exercising his rights protected by the Constitution....not. Kick his @$$ off the team.

The school I attended taught a little more about global awareness than what we saw here. Obviously he needs to pay more attention in class than what happens on the field, because a career in football sure isn't in his future.

I hate to have to use this phrase, but... if you've never played collegiate ball and cherished every game of your senior year, you wouldn't understand. I don't condone what he did, but this conversation happens after every college football game in America in someones' dorm room. He just used a vehicle (twitter) that is the new "dorm room." The kid is a student, don't murder him. The coaching staff should have counsel with the kid and if need be discipline him. It appears that the lines of communication on that team could benefit by opening up more to allow players to discuss their status with the coaching staff, helping to avoid explosive moments of venting like this. It's a teachable moment that leadership should utilize.

ElonPride
November 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM
I hate to have to use this phrase, but... if you've never played collegiate ball and cherished every game of your senior year, you wouldn't understand. I don't condone what he did, but this conversation happens after every college football game in America in someones' dorm room. He just used a vehicle (twitter) that is the new "dorm room." The kid is a student, don't murder him. The coaching staff should have counsel with the kid and if need be discipline him. It appears that the lines of communication on that team could benefit by opening up more to allow players to discuss their status with the coaching staff, helping to avoid explosive moments of venting like this. It's a teachable moment that leadership should utilize.

Fair enough. Want to make it a teachable moment? Kick him off the team. It's a real life lesson that he would learn from very quickly seeing what you cited about playing your "senior year." Because you know what? If you make an outburst like this on your PERSONAL Facebook/twitter account about your employer, you could easily be dismissed from your position. I've seen it happen. I have no tolerance for this kind of stupidity and use of language from someone in a position that will obviously garner more scrutiny(not that I condone his use of the "N" word anyway).

fc97
November 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
he's a senior

he's an adult at this point

Terrierforlife
November 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Fair enough. Want to make it a teachable moment? Kick him off the team. It's a real life lesson that he would learn from very quickly seeing what you cited about playing your "senior year." Because you know what? If you make an outburst like this on your PERSONAL Facebook/twitter account about your employer, you could easily be dismissed from your position. I've seen it happen. I have no tolerance for this kind of stupidity and use of language from someone in a position that will obviously garner more scrutiny(not that I condone his use of the "N" word anyway).

LOL. I don't condone what he did, but you don't use a sledge hammer to drive a nail. The punishment should fit the crime. This kid has been with your team for four years, does that count for nothing?

ElonPride
November 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
LOL. I don't condone what he did, but you don't use a sledge hammer to drive a nail. The punishment should fit the crime. This kid has been with your team for four years, does that count for nothing?

Again, make an outburst like this about your employer and you can get sacked....No matter your seniority.

Look, I'm not saying kick him out of school. He obviously has to take more advantage of the fine education he can get from Elon.

Terrierforlife
November 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Fans cheer their teams and players for athletic feats of greatness, but never really know the person. As soon as that anonimity is gone so is the exulatation. Don't lift them up and you won't feel so angry when they fall. Coaches have an extremely tough job of forming young minds and positively influencing these kids. These are the promises made when coaching staffs enter living rooms and speak with parents. It's time to "break it down on family" Elon.

Terrierforlife
November 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Again, make an outburst like this about your employer and you can get sacked....No matter your seniority.

Look, I'm not saying kick him out of school. He obviously has to take more advantage of the fine education he can get from Elon.

Fair enough.

LehighU11
November 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM

Yeah, it was disconcerting how poorly prepared and unqualified for Lehigh academics a few of the football players were. This isn't a jab at the whole team, as many are on the honor roll for challenging engineering and business programs. However, there were several in some of my freshman intro classes 4 years back that were frighteningly grammatically challenged and just not ready for actual coursework. Of course, most dropped out of the program after a year or two. This makes me wonder how bad some of the FBS programs must be, as far as admission standards are concerned, if one top universities in the country has these issues.

Scholarships, though enticing, could put an end to what is great about the Patriot League: Student-athletes. Having been one myself, I think the PL ought to be careful with how they approach the issue. Smarter, more academically driven athletes can outperform those who may only accept an offer because of "scholies" (e.g. Fordham).

phoenix3
November 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
I just wanted to clear something up here. Jamal Shuman is no doltish thug. If you go back and look at his appologies, you'll see that his grammar improves dramatically. The poor grammar and excessive swearing seems to be somewhat of a fad these days, (much like wearing the pants too big so the underwear shows, hand signals and the stubble face even in formal situations). I don't understand it for my hair turneth gray, but I assume it's like when I had hair down past my shoulders, wore worn out bell bottom jeans, and spoke language my parents couldn't quite understand. I'm sure there are a few on this board that can identify.

Anyway, what I think we have here is a kid that let his frustration overcome his better judgement. He's not stupid, he's not a bad kid, he just made a bad, stupid mistake. Unfortunately, it was a public bad, stupid mistake. I hope he will learn from this and will not be impacted too negatively in the long run. I do, however, think that Coach Swepson has to deal with this to some capacity publically. Otherwise the whole program will be scrutinized as having poor discipline.

Finally, I do not care for the "N" word coming out of anyone's mouth for any reason. I agree with another old fogie on this - Bill Cosby. I think everyone should have more respect for others and themselves. It's one of those words I wish we could just delete from our history and our vocabularies.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Get a tumblr, it's damn near impossible to track that.....

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
i see it day in and out. no one in this generation knows how to deal with adversity. this entire generation is developed around no discipline and getting what you want

"When I was your age, a nickel would get you a cup of coffee, a slice of kidney pie AND a newsreel... Plus with the change left over, you could ride the trolley from Battery Park to the Polo grounds..."

You try entering this financial s**t the moment after you get your first college degree handed to you. This generation has it WAY tougher than you think.

I'm 29, working on my 3rd degree and I have $55,000 in student loans. I took a big gamble moving 1,000 miles away cause I thought someone would hire me in something different than what I was doing (that got me NOWHERE in the job market). I got robbed at gunpoint 3 months ago, the bastards took my flash drive with my portfolio in it (among many other things). I live in a single room in a basement with 3 other guys, cause it's all I can afford in the world's most expensive real estate/rental city. I'm living off of Kraft Mac and Cheez most nights. I don't think I'm getting everything that I want like you think.

boonegoon
November 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
I'm 29, working on my 3rd degree and I have $55,000 in student loans. I took a big gamble moving 1,000 miles away cause I thought someone would hire me in something different than what I was doing (that got me NOWHERE in the job market). I got robbed at gunpoint 3 months ago, the bastards took my flash drive with my portfolio in it (among many other things). I live in a single room in a basement with 3 other guys, cause it's all I can afford in the world's most expensive real estate/rental city. I'm living off of Kraft Mac and Cheez most nights. I don't think I'm getting everything that I want like you think.

I'm with you brother. Working on my 3rd degree myself. Good luck!

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM

He is only being apologetic because he got caught. And he's from Fayettevile. What do you expect?

Doc QB
November 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Oh, stewardess! Perhaps I can help . . . .

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/1520-355.jpg

Great memory Bogus..."knock yourself a pro, slick...i pray to J I get the same 'ol, same 'ol..."

Doc QB
November 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I just wanted to clear something up here. Jamal Shuman is no doltish thug...I don't understand it for my hair turneth gray, but I assume it's like when I had hair down past my shoulders, wore worn out bell bottom jeans, and spoke language my parents couldn't quite understand.

Yes, but unfortunately, your long hair and bell bottoms were seemingly the stylings of the Hippies, who were about peace, love, and weed. More unfortunate still, his is the language, attitude, and dress of a guy like this is associated with the "thug life," by most, like it or not.

No excuse for this. Kid does not belong on a college campus much less getting his education for free.

My favorite baseball player of all time, Don Mattingly, always ran in to dug out, every game, practice, work out, etc, no matter what. His reason? You NEVER know who is watching. Words to live by. Especially today.

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM

to add, your generation are the tweeters and smsers who have stopped using english because sms shorthand is much more convenient. not to worry, I use it too

all i am saying is you can walk around and hear your generation talk. you can see it in interviews with occupy protesters throughout the country. you see it at rallies for certain candidates. shuman's speech and grammer is the norm for a large porition of this generation

If you are going to make a blanket statement about an entire generation's character and ability to use the English language based on one kid's mistake, at least spell GRAMMAR correctly.

I have no idea how old you are or what generation you are a part of, but statements like this are exactly like the ones made by parents in the 60's and 70's.

I am not making any excuses for what Shuman did but to make this into some sort of indictment about all the young people in this country is ridiculous. Believe it or not, it is a tough time to be a college age kid and it would behoove all of us to give support instead of passing judgement.

The Moody1
November 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Running back suspended from Elon football team after rant on Twitter
November 01, 2011 7:41 PM
Adam Smith / Times-News
ELON — Jamal Shuman has been suspended indefinitely from the Elon University football team after venting on Twitter in a rant filled with frustration and expletives about his increasingly limited role.

Phoenix coach Jason Swepson told the Time-News of the disciplinary action Tuesday night.

“He’s still part of the family,” Swepson said. “He’s not kicked off the team. He’s suspended. We’ll just see how far the suspension goes.”

The punishment, barring Shuman from all team activities, effectively could bring an unfortunate end to the running back’s once-promising college career.

He’s a senior. Elon has two games remaining in its season following an open date on the schedule this weekend.

“I told him we’ll talk again in a couple weeks and see how it goes for Senior Day,” Swepson said.

After Elon lost 48-28 on Saturday at Wofford, Shuman fired off a series of Twitter posts minutes apart, airing dissatisfaction about his lack of playing time and ultimately calling into question decisions from the Phoenix’s coaching staff.

Curses were packed among the clearly exasperated tone of Shuman’s tweets, which weren’t locked for privacy protection and thus readily available to anybody who visited his Twitter timeline.

By Monday — as often can be the case with social media — the tweets had circulated to reach a broad audience, including the widely trafficked sports blog Deadspin.com.

Deadspin introduced Shuman’s posts under the header “Athlete Meltdowns.”

With nearly two weeks before Elon’s next game Nov. 12 at Furman, Swepson said he took plenty of time in researching the matter before concluding that Shuman warranted a suspension.

“I told him face to face,” Swepson said. “He took it like a man. He knows what he did was wrong. He didn’t try to sugarcoat it, say it was taken out of context or anything like that. He stood up like a man.”

Swepson, in his first year on the Elon job, said he had discussions with people who have known Shuman since 2008, when he arrived on campus.

Swepson also held a team-wide meeting on the subject Tuesday.

“Reminded them of the consequences that can happen if you do things the wrong way,” he said. “I think everyone’s on the same page with how to handle social networking.”

Shuman, who’s from Fayetteville, emerged as one of the Southern Conference’s more explosive weapons in 2009. He ranked third in the league with 677 rushing yards that year as Elon went 9-3 and advanced to the school’s only Football Championship Subdivision playoff berth.

A speedster with dreaded hair noticeably flowing out from beneath his helmet, Shuman ran for more than 1,000 yards combining his first two Elon seasons.

But an ankle injury in training camp prior to last season derailed Shuman’s 2010 campaign. He appeared sparingly in three games and didn’t log any carries.

Shuman has gained a total of 81 yards on the ground this year while the Phoenix has become reliant on a two-headed combo at running back with fellow seniors A.J. Harris and Dontay Taylor.

Shuman’s season high of seven rushing attempts came Sept. 24 against The Citadel. In four games since carrying four times Oct. 1 against Georgia Southern, he has rushed for a total of 3 yards on five attempts.

He caught one pass for 5 yards Saturday at Wofford, but didn’t factor in any of Elon’s 24 runs.

“I understand he’s frustrated,” Swepson said. “But I’m disappointed with how he expressed it.”

phoenix3
November 3rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=Doc QB;1713297]Yes, but unfortunately, your long hair and bell bottoms were seemingly the stylings of the Hippies, who were about peace, love, and weed. More unfortunate still, his is the language, attitude, and dress of a guy like this is associated with the "thug life," by most, like it or not.[QUOTE]

Actually more akin to red neck car racing and duck hunting. But, I digress. The point is, to a great degree it's an act, not an actual lifestyle. To me the long hair etc. was harmless. I grew up to attain doctrate and become a reasonably productive member of society. I don't like the "thug life" appearance either. I think it is certainly a more harmful attitude than the old "peace/love" thing. But, if you talk to those presenting that former attitude, I bet most of them would say that is harmless as well.

phoenix3
November 3rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
I agree with you about Don Mattingly, by the way.

I'm not trying to justify Shuman's language, rant or general attitude. In fact, I agree with you on most if not all of what you said about the thug life attitude. My point is that Jamal based on my observation, is neither a dolt or a thug... although he certainly sounds like one in his original few posts. This is probably something he should consider as he graduates & starts job hunting.

AshevilleApp2
November 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
If you are going to make a blanket statement about an entire generation's character and ability to use the English language based on one kid's mistake, at least spell GRAMMAR correctly.

I have no idea how old you are or what generation you are a part of, but statements like this are exactly like the ones made by parents in the 60's and 70's.

I am not making any excuses for what Shuman did but to make this into some sort of indictment about all the young people in this country is ridiculous. Believe it or not, it is a tough time to be a college age kid and it would behoove all of us to give support instead of passing judgement.

Good post.

fc97
November 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
i'm part of this generation roughly. i am one of those who text using abbreviations for common english words. i don't type into the forum what capital letters on my phone. all i am saying is that this, and our generation, are roughly around using technology to make shortcuts. the grammar that is being criticized about him is what most of our generation does in tweets, facebook, texts and emails. i don't get what you people are bent out of shape at me saying this. it's true

the language. it's typical of generation x and y. people curse left and right

the point should be about how he posted, why and a team player shouldn't do it rather than about the content and wording of tweets

asumike83
November 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
i'm part of this generation roughly. i am one of those who text using abbreviations for common english words. i don't type into the forum what capital letters on my phone. all i am saying is that this, and our generation, are roughly around using technology to make shortcuts. the grammar that is being criticized about him is what most of our generation does in tweets, facebook, texts and emails. i don't get what you people are bent out of shape at me saying this. it's true

the language. it's typical of generation x and y. people curse left and right

the point should be about how he posted, why and a team player shouldn't do it rather than about the content and wording of tweets

That was kind of my point. The discussion should be about one player's mistake, not a sweeping indictment of his generation. I hope that he has learned from it and is able to play in his last home game on Senior Day. I will be there!

Doc QB
November 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I agree with you about Don Mattingly, by the way.

I'm not trying to justify Shuman's language, rant or general attitude. In fact, I agree with you on most if not all of what you said about the thug life attitude. My point is that Jamal based on my observation, is neither a dolt or a thug... although he certainly sounds like one in his original few posts. This is probably something he should consider as he graduates & starts job hunting.

Just read Derek Jeter's autobiography, good stories about the former Yankee captain, Donnie Baseball. His philosophy, simple and profound, applies eveyday.

Whether a dolt or thug, or not, fact remains, first impressions stick, outbursts like this stick. It can tattoo you. I feel bad for the kid some, but plenty of other people face real adversity and find a way to handle it with pride and poise.

alvinkayak6
November 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
darn those young people and their new generation. it should be the same as ours! ROAR!! xpissedx