PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Georgetown beats Lehigh?

UNH Fanboi
October 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Does Lehigh get an at-large (assuming they win their other games of course)?

If Lehigh does lose, they better hope Liberty wins out (which does not look guaranteed after their performance vs. Presby yesterday) since that is their "signature win."

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2011, 09:33 AM

If Lehigh does lose, they better hope Liberty wins out (which does not look guaranteed after their performance vs. Presby yesterday) since that is their "signature win."

At 9-2, with their only loss to the PL champion and New Hampshire (who still could be the CAA champs), I'd say they are a lock for the playoffs, though they would probably be playing on Thanksgiving rather than entertaining things like seeds and first round byes.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Does that mean Georgetown would be in the playoffs?

Sounds like a nightmare scenario for GT's president. "I just want us to have a football team, I don't want them to win G-D!! I can't afford a winning team! They'll want more support and a real stadium....UGHHH...fire the head coach after this season. I don't care, make something up."

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Georgetown getting into the playoffs with Lehigh at 9-2 would *pop* someone's bubble, probably one from a 7-4 MVFC squad.

Pard4Life
October 30th, 2011, 10:08 AM
It's not happening... move along... read other threads... nothing to see here... move along, move along...

MarchingMountaineer
October 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Liberty has only VMI left to play. Bucknell should win both of their remaining games as well. So Lehigh will have at least 3 wins against winning teams (maybe more) and that should be enough given where they currently are in the polls.

RichH2
October 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
It's not happening... move along... read other threads... nothing to see here... move along, move along...

xrolleyesx:D:D
Funny line. Great with my AM coffee.

Hoyas did not so much beat HC as HC self destructed and Hoyas did not. 5 fumbles. That said GU team playing with confidence. D is better than average and O while not very productive has been making fewer mistakes. LU takes them lightly who can say what will happen. If Hoyas are PL champ and LU ends at 9-2, there will be any number of 7-4 hopefuls that will be mighty p*ssed.xsmileyclapx

UNH Fanboi
October 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Liberty has only VMI left to play. Bucknell should win both of their remaining games as well. So Lehigh will have at least 3 wins against winning teams (maybe more) and that should be enough given where they currently are in the polls.

Liberty still has to play Stony Brook and they have a history of choking.

Lehigh currently has the second softest schedule in the top 25 after SHSU. Sagarin has them at 15-16 right now. If they lose to Georgetown, they will probably be in the low to mid 20s.

TheValleyRaider
October 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM
If the Hoyas take the title, and Lehigh wins out otherwise, I don't see how both don't get in. A 9-2 record in an autobid conference, plus being ranked all season long in every poll? Lehigh is definitely in with that scenario

Hoyas did not so much beat HC as HC self destructed and Hoyas did not. 5 fumbles. That said GU team playing with confidence. D is better than average and O while not very productive has been making fewer mistakes. LU takes them lightly who can say what will happen. If Hoyas are PL champ and LU ends at 9-2, there will be any number of 7-4 hopefuls that will be mighty p*ssed.xsmileyclapx

The wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments would certainly be worth watching xlolx xcoolx xlolx

gasoutherneagle
October 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM

We need a picture of Lesley Nielsen (God rest his soul) in Naked Gun with the fireworks factory blowing up in the background.

van
October 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM
We need a picture of Lesley Nielsen (God rest his soul) in Naked Gun with the fireworks factory blowing up in the background.

No doubt, Bogie can take care of that for u.

Sader87
October 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Holy Cross is going to arise from its October swoon, defeat Lehigh at Goodman and then beat the Pards at Fitton to win the PL making this all a moot point.

van
October 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Holy Cross is going to arise from its October swoon, defeat Lehigh at Goodman and then beat the Pards at Fitton to win the PL making this all a moot point.

I have this bridge I'd like to sell u.

JMUNJ08
October 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Liberty also has the Seawolves of Stony Brook left which may decide the Big South...that could really hurt Lehigh and Liberty!

JMUNJ08
October 30th, 2011, 11:20 AM

LOL, better be looking for a Gtown loss to Lehigh then too...

Sader87
October 30th, 2011, 11:28 AM
LOL, better be looking for a Gtown loss to Lehigh then too...

I am...laugh now gentlemen, but if we win at Lehigh (admittedly a big if at the moment)....HC would be the odds on favorite to win the PL.

ColgateTD
October 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I can guarantee you that G'town is not going to beat Lehigh.....no one is.

DJOM
October 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
It would officially mark the beginning of the end of times. No offense G'town--its not going to happen.

LUHawker
October 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
While transitive property does not apply in football, something to keep in mind is that Gtown got beaten easily by Yale, which was handily dismissed by Lehigh. Georgetown is having a banner season for itself, but Lehigh should top them.

hawkineer
October 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hill-to Hill Bridge!:D

Sader87
October 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
We shall see....HC will be a very dangerous opponent this weekend imo....they are very due to snap out of their funk....just sayin'

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM
People tend to forget that last year Georgetown was leading Lehigh at halftime last year at MSF. That was a much more difficult game for Lehigh than folks tend to give credit for.

I have no doubt that all three games (HC, G'Town, "that school in Easton" will not be easy for Lehigh, though playing at home will certainly help. But it's way too early to predict anything, especially because Holy Cross is equally as big for Lehigh as Georgetown, and the Crusaders play the Hawks this coming weekend. I agree with Sader87 that Holy Cross is indeed a dangerous opponent, and they're next up.

As for Sags having Lehigh at No. 14, if you choose to believe Lehigh isn't that great, that's your prerogative. You'll probably wallop us, even if Lehigh gets a home game, in the playoffs. Please, continue to believe that. We have no chance against mighty Wofford, Maine, Sam Houston State. :D

carney2
October 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
A 9-2 Lehigh is in. At 9-3, not so much.

98hoya
October 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Sader87, one thing we can say after Georgetown's dismantling of a very weak looking HC team: they still haven't beaten anyone of note. But they have beaten Holy Cross :)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Equally as interesting an outcome: if Georgetown loses, they'll be 8-3 with 8 D-I wins. They won't have an impressive win to show the committee, but in a scenario where the CAA/Missouri Valley knock each other out, you have to wonder if they'll get a serious look as a first-round opponent if enough happens elsewhere to open up a spot.

My big question is: at what point to 7 D-I win teams get consideration over 8 D-I win teams? Georgetown played a weaker schedule than, say, Illinois State, but if a 7-4 Ill State has a late season loss against, say, 3-8 Western Illinois, are they head and shoulders ahead of the Hoyas? I don't think so. I think it's even.

Bogus Megapardus
October 30th, 2011, 03:21 PM

No doubt, Bogie can take care of that for u.

Just got my power back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

youwouldno
October 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Equally as interesting an outcome: if Georgetown loses, they'll be 8-3 with 8 D-I wins. They won't have an impressive win to show the committee, but in a scenario where the CAA/Missouri Valley knock each other out, you have to wonder if they'll get a serious look as a first-round opponent if enough happens elsewhere to open up a spot.

My big question is: at what point to 7 D-I win teams get consideration over 8 D-I win teams? Georgetown played a weaker schedule than, say, Illinois State, but if a 7-4 Ill State has a late season loss against, say, 3-8 Western Illinois, are they head and shoulders ahead of the Hoyas? I don't think so. I think it's even.

If Ill St. goes 7-4 with a loss to WIU, that means they would have beaten UNI. I don't think that would be anywhere close to even with Georgetown. The better comparison would be if Ill St. beat WIU but lost to UNI.

The committee has always stressed the importance of quality wins. So look at the top 3 wins of each:

Team: Opponent (Sagarin)

Georgetown: Holy Cross (155), Lafayette (196), Colgate (202)
Illinois State: Indiana St. (115), South Dakota (135), South Dakota St. (165)

Doesn't look real close to me.

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2011, 03:49 PM
While transitive property does not apply in football, something to keep in mind is that Gtown got beaten easily by Yale, which was handily dismissed by Lehigh.

Yale won by 10, 37-27, the Elis led 21-20 at the half. Most wouldn't consider that "easily".

RichH2
October 30th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Yale won by 10, 37-27, the Elis led 21-20 at the half. Most wouldn't consider that "easily".

OK, perhaps not easy but we did beat them easily

ngineer
October 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I think that's what RichH2 meant...The Yale/G'town game was competitive. The Lehigh/Yale game was not.

I think this whole thread plays into my post early on about a possible Fordham upset. Georgetown looking ahead to their trip to Goodman may get sidetracked in their own 'palace.' (;-)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
If Ill St. goes 7-4 with a loss to WIU, that means they would have beaten UNI. I don't think that would be anywhere close to even with Georgetown. The better comparison would be if Ill St. beat WIU but lost to UNI.

The committee has always stressed the importance of quality wins. So look at the top 3 wins of each:

Team: Opponent (Sagarin)

Georgetown: Holy Cross (155), Lafayette (196), Colgate (202)
Illinois State: Indiana St. (115), South Dakota (135), South Dakota St. (165)

Doesn't look real close to me.

Try I as I may, I cannot overlook that loss to Eastern Illinois.

RichH2
October 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I think that's what RichH2 meant...The Yale/G'town game was competitive. The Lehigh/Yale game was not.

I think this whole thread plays into my post early on about a possible Fordham upset. Georgetown looking ahead to their trip to Goodman may get sidetracked in their own 'palace.' (;-)

Was I that ambiguous? The danger for us with GU is letting them stay around as we did last year. They are justifiably a confident bunch. Confidence can ,once in a while ,win you a game you shoudn't

youwouldno
October 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Try I as I may, I cannot overlook that loss to Eastern Illinois.

Well who someone beats is more important than who they lose to, but for the sake of completeness let's look at that as well.

Losses
Team: Opponent, margin (Sagarin)

Georgetown: Bucknell, 17 (171); Yale, 10 (178)
Illinois State: NDSU, 10 (59); YSU, 7 (114); EIU, 7 (189)

Looks like 2 bad losses for Georgetown and 1 bad loss for Ill St.

Note that, based on Sagarin's extremely accurate Predictor metric, Georgetown would be 4-5 with Illinois St's schedule.

van
October 30th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Just got my power back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

Glad I could count on you Bogie. Now, how about a Frankasaurus avatar?

Bogus Megapardus
October 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Now, how about a Frankasaurus avatar?

Have you ever seen the Weekly Frankosaurium Chalkboard on the Lafayette Board? That's where it lurks.

98hoya
October 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM

...And more than that, vs Yale, Georgetown's QB got hurt and didn't play the 2nd half and 2 of Yale's TDs came off kick returns. Change any of that and it's a VERY different ballgame. I watched the whole game and at the half, it was very much a feel that Gtown was in the driver seat. When Kempf got hurt, it was all over. He's back now, and doing great. I still think Gtown probably only wins vs Yale 3 times out of 10, but on that day, they very much could've won that game and anyone else who watched it would tell you the same.

I would not bet on the Hoyas vs. Lehigh - I'll be happy just to get past Fordham - but it's amazing how everyone has an excuse for their team's losses, yet attributes Georgetown wins to luck. Lafayette, Colgate and now Holy Cross...they just keep having "bad days" against Gtown. Amazing how that keeps happening to Georgetown's opponents.

ngineer
October 30th, 2011, 11:31 PM
...And more than that, vs Yale, Georgetown's QB got hurt and didn't play the 2nd half and 2 of Yale's TDs came off kick returns. Change any of that and it's a VERY different ballgame. I watched the whole game and at the half, it was very much a feel that Gtown was in the driver seat. When Kempf got hurt, it was all over. He's back now, and doing great. I still think Gtown probably only wins vs Yale 3 times out of 10, but on that day, they very much could've won that game and anyone else who watched it would tell you the same.

I would not bet on the Hoyas vs. Lehigh - I'll be happy just to get past Fordham - but it's amazing how everyone has an excuse for their team's losses, yet attributes Georgetown wins to luck. Lafayette, Colgate and now Holy Cross...they just keep having "bad days" against Gtown. Amazing how that keeps happening to Georgetown's opponents.

Yes, that's what happens after 12 years of futility. It takes awhile for people to give you the respect you earn, with many being dismissive over turnovers and flukes. Of course, on that given day, the team not making making turnovers and taking advantage of them, is the better team. As the World Series has shown, it's not the the team with the best personnel on paper that always wins the game. If the Hoyas keep winning, the respect will come. It's ironic that "earning" respect takes so long, while "losing" it can occur in a second. Lehigh's HC back in 2005 said that Georgetown could the a sleeping giant if they'd get sufficient support from the school. They obviously have some players. Keeping quality coaches and improving facilities will be a must for success to be sustained. But Georgetown is certainly one of 'feel good' stories of the year in FCS football.

CFBfan
October 31st, 2011, 07:24 AM
While transitive property does not apply in football, something to keep in mind is that Gtown got beaten easily by Yale, which was handily dismissed by Lehigh. Georgetown is having a banner season for itself, but Lehigh should top them.

I am not saying that GU will beat LU, HOWEVER how a team does against another versus how another team did against that team (your Yale scenario) is erelevant and means nothing.

RichH2
October 31st, 2011, 09:15 AM

No, GU deservest heir wins and should enjoy them. Cross , Hoyas showed very little O but a very good D.Cross TOs killed them.Some no doubt caused by Hoya D, but most ofthe fumbles were Cross' own doing. We had a very tough game with GU last yr for the 1st half. iexpect this game to be equally competitive

CFBfan
October 31st, 2011, 09:20 AM
No, GU deservest heir wins and should enjoy them. Cross , Hoyas showed very little O but a very good D.Cross TOs killed them.Some no doubt caused by Hoya D, but most ofthe fumbles were Cross' own doing. We had a very tough game with GU last yr for the 1st half. iexpect this game to be equally competitive

Please remember that HC had SIX turnovers against Bucknell ans still beat them!!
I was at the game and GU forced 3 of them. You can blame the conditions if you'd like for the other 2 BUT GU played on the same field in the same wet snow!!

ngineer
October 31st, 2011, 01:25 PM
No question each team plays in the same conditions, but some team's style is better suited to inclement weather than others; especially if you're overly dependent on the pass. It is why rain or snow is called "the great equalizer".