PDA

View Full Version : SSU To Get Visit from MEAC On Monday

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Big visit this coming Monday for multi-time MEAC applicant, Savannah State. Once more, the MEAC representatives are set to visit the university.The MEAC was supposed to make an announcement near the beginning of this year, but still nothing.

-------------

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference representatives are scheduled to visit Savannah State University Monday, SSU sports information director Opio Mashariki said Wednesday.

SSU has applied to become a member of the historically black NCAA Division I conference.

Winston-Salem (N.C.) State, a historically black college that was a member of the Division II Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association, recently joined the MEAC, commissioner Dennis Thomas told the Black Athlete Sports Network in an April 14 article that was posted on www.blackathlete.net. No announcement has been posted on the MEAC's Web site (www.meacsports.com).

Thomas, in August, 2005, and again in November, 2005, told the Savannah Morning News that the MEAC expected to announce its decision by late December, 2005, or early January, 2006, regarding SSU's request for membership. No announcement has been made by the MEAC.

SSU has competed as an NCAA Independent since leaving the Division II Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and moving to Division I (I-AA in football) in 2002.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/050406/3843022.shtml

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Savannah State courts conference representatives

Visit by MEAC officials marks next step in SSU's bid to join the league.

Noell Barnidge
(912) 652-0347
[email protected]

Savannah State University on Monday continued its pursuit of joining the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference by playing host to a campus visit by members of the historically black NCAA Division I conference.

MEAC commissioner Dennis Thomas and four other conference representatives, whom he would not identify, met with members of SSU's athletic department and toured the Tigers' athletic facilities.

SSU could be accepted as a conference member when the MEAC holds its spring meetings May 23-26 in Virginia Beach, Va. Expansion is expected to be among the topics discussed.

"We just have to wait it out now," SSU athletic director Robert "Tony" O'Neal said.

SSU paid the MEAC a $10,000 non-refundable application fee last year. The campus visit was the next step in the process.

"This is our normal process, a site visit," Thomas said before returning to Virginia Beach, Va., Monday night. "It's a beautiful campus. And that's all I can say. It would not be appropriate to comment any further."

SSU has competed as an NCAA Division I Independent since leaving the Division II Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and moving to Division I (I-AA in football) in 2002. The Tigers are the only Division I-AA football team that is not a member of a conference.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/050806/3857007.shtml

RabidRabbit
May 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I hope that SOME conference that matches up for SSU will take them in. One of the most frustrating aspects of transition is to find a conference, and begin participating.

It's also :bang: :bang: feeling being in a division for a while then a neighboring school just starting transition gets invited, while you get turned down. Fortunately, in football, there are enough conferences available with expansion room AT THIS TIME.

Good luck, SSU in finding a conference home!

eaglesrthe1
May 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I'd like to see SSU get accepted in the MEAC, but it's a long shot IMO. There athletics are in chaos. The football team didn't even have a spring camp, and about the only bright spot in the major sports is baseball.

Entry into the MEAC would go a long ways towards stabilizing their program, just from the standpoint of getting better opponents to come to their site.

NoCoDanny
May 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
A conference bid would go a long way towards creating stability for the institution. Hopefully the MEAC presidents can see that and feel like they can help. I'd like to see them get in. Being a Denver Broncos fan I have a soft spot for SSU.

HIU 93
May 10th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I'd like to see SSU get accepted in the MEAC, but it's a long shot IMO. There athletics are in chaos. The football team didn't even have a spring camp, and about the only bright spot in the major sports is baseball.

Entry into the MEAC would go a long ways towards stabilizing their program, just from the standpoint of getting better opponents to come to their site.

I hope they are not invited. However, since their President is a Hampton product, and was very close to Dr. Thomas when they were both at Hampton, I think they will eventually get in.

bosshogg
May 10th, 2006, 07:37 AM
you don't take a school to stabilize them....You take a school because they fit with what you confernce strategic plans are.....lets call this what it is....SSU needs help, and the MEAC is looking to bring them in to "help them out" because they are a HBCU.....other than their baseball team, what do they add. Their facilities (except basketball) don't compare, their revenue adn spending is clearly below even teh bottom schools in the conference, and they won't all of the sudden get money to improve them......SSU is homecoming bait for us....it weakens our schedule, adn onlty makes it harder for usto get out of conference games....I am against it.....they should drop to division 2.

But what do I know, I still think SCSU should leave the MEAC anyway....

HIU 93
May 10th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I hope they are not invited. However, since their President is a Hampton product, and was very close to Dr. Thomas when they were both at Hampton, I think they will eventually get in.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
their revenue adn spending is clearly below even teh bottom schools in the conference, and they won't all of the sudden get money to improve them

I think you underestimate the power of winning.

If SSU can get some winning season under their belts, I could see their spending go up.

Mr. Tiger
May 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I think you underestimate the power of winning.

If SSU can get some winning season under their belts, I could see their spending go up.

It takes money to win. And if Savannah State doesn't have it now then the program will not win so spending can't go up. I just don't see the benefit for the conference to take in SSU right now.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
The classic chicken before the egg scenario.

I understand that it takes money to win.

It's just going to have to be that SSU will have a breakout season to get the ball rolling with the money they have.

If that happens then you never know.

bosshogg
May 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM
The classic chicken before the egg scenario.

I understand that it takes money to win.

It's just going to have to be that SSU will have a breakout season to get the ball rolling with the money they have.

If that happens then you never know.

break out season....there is not one team in the MEAC that SSU would have beaten last year.....not one.....and evey team pretty much is improving, even Norfolk state, who for the past few years hasn't been all that, has improved their coaching staff, adn already have great facilities....

lets be real......unless that kid is from savannah, there is no kid out there that will turn down a scholly from SCSU/FAMU/HAMPTON/BCC/HOWARD/A&T/DSU/NSU to go to savannah state...so their talen will still be down, which is why they don't do well now.

you think they, because they are in the meac, will all the sudden "break out"

please....look at their schedule last year......and their ecord...now look at who they would be playing in the meac

please....

look at the kids they sugned this spring....not one of them had offers to any other 1-AA schools...all jucos and division 2 schools...half their team has quit or transfered, adn their best players recently dropped out (family issues)
then they had no spring practice to learn any oftheir new coaches schemes, and the coaches had no opportunity to recruit....

yep, they are primed to bust out......SCSU look out

only good thing about this is by playing in savannah now SCSU will get even more exposure there, and since we'll be winning, we will egt even more recruits from the area than we already do...so now that i think about it....come on in SSU :bang: :(

Baldy
May 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Savannah would be a great market for the MEAC and IMO, would be the deciding factor in SSU gaining membership. But still, SSU athletics are in horrible shape.

bosshogg
May 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
like I said before...SCSU is expanding its recruiting footprint into the savannah area...playing/beating them there will do nothing but help us

MplsBison
May 10th, 2006, 02:50 PM
At least now SSU would be able to tell recruits that they're in the MEAC which means they'll be able to play top notch competition.

So that right there could change things. You never know.

They just need something to get the ball rolling.

bosshogg
May 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
yeah, they could tell them"you can play in the meac"

so can we

but we can tell them, " come play withus, and we 'll crush SSU"

SSU can say "come join us as we try to win more than 1 game this year"

OL FU
May 10th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I am going with boss hog on this one. Other than Savannah St being a HBCU, I cannot think of a good reason for the MEAC to invite them to join. Good for Savannah maybe but not the MEAC.

R.A.
May 10th, 2006, 04:50 PM
-I'm on the fence with this one. Some days I feel like they should be in, other days I feel they shouldn't. I just don't know... can they at least start by getting a better looking mascot logo? That's something small and cost effective that can add something positive to their athletic program.

DEX
May 10th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I'm positive they'll get in but I'm against it. They almost certainly are about to go on NCAA sanctions for the 2nd time in the last ten years. To have two programs (FAMU & SSU) on NCAA probation will really give the conference a black eye. Also consider that SSU has operated at a budget smaller than most D-II programs and you'll see that the smart thing for them would be to move back to D-II.

HIU 93
May 11th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I am going with boss hog on this one. Other than Savannah St being a HBCU, I cannot think of a good reason for the MEAC to invite them to join. Good for Savannah maybe but not the MEAC.

I agree 100%.

jstate83
May 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Can't they be invited and given a timeframe to get their act together?

Why not give them the invite based on how they improve the structure of their program's over a ....2 year period..........just tossing ideas.
This will give everyone a chance to see how thing will pan out because once they are in.............THEY IN AND EVERYONE HAS TO LIVE WITH IT.

When UAPB and Alabama A@M, (D2 AT THE TIME), joined the SWAC, they had 2 years to upgrade their facilities AND sport's programs all around before they became full members. I remember UAPB stadium was not ready during that 2nd year and they took another year to get things ready. They played a SWAC schedule and it help them in recruiting.

Don't know the MEAC situation though?

bosshogg
May 11th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Why not give them the invite based on how they improve the structure of their program's over a ....2 year period..........just tossing ideas.
This will give everyone a chance to see how thing will pan out because once they are in.............THEY IN AND EVERYONE HAS TO LIVE WITH IT.

When UAPB and Alabama A@M, (D2 AT THE TIME), joined the SWAC, they had 2 years to upgrade their facilities AND sport's programs all around before they became full members. I remember UAPB stadium was not ready during that 2nd year and they took another year to get things ready. They played a SWAC schedule and it help them in recruiting.

here is a thought...why don't they get their act together and then apply? why should the MEAC allow them to come in messed up, and then let them figure it out....just because they are an HBCU? Thats BS

jstate83
May 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM
here is a thought...why don't they get their act together and then apply? why should the MEAC allow them to come in messed up, and then let them figure it out....just because they are an HBCU? Thats BS

Man ...............I don't care if they a HBCU or full fledged members of the Micheal Jackson fan club.

And I didn't say INVITE THEM IN TODAY......................I said give them an invite, (SINCE YOUR CONFERENCE IS COURTING THEM ANYWAY), based on what the do in 2 YEARS.

If they can't get it together by then, so be it.
It don't stop ya'll from looking at other during this time frame.

Personally .................I don't care.
Just throwing IDEAS..................:eyebrow:

dbackjon
May 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM

that is similar to what the Big Sky did with Cal State Northridge, Sac St and Portland St - gave them two (maybe three) years to add sports, fully fund football, and improve facilities. Sac St and Portland St did, Northridge dropped out of the conference (and dropped football) because they couldn't meet the requirements.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
What's the deal with Portland State tennis and Montana State women's soccer?

Why do they get waivers?

jstate83
May 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM
that is similar to what the Big Sky did with Cal State Northridge, Sac St and Portland St - gave them two (maybe three) years to add sports, fully fund football, and improve facilities. Sac St and Portland St did, Northridge dropped out of the conference (and dropped football) because they couldn't meet the requirements.

That's all I was saying.

The MEAC is courting them, SSU is TALKING like they really want to be in, so give them something definite to shoot for ....................Based on guidlines the MEAC set out for them to accomplish during this time.
UAPB and Bamma A@M met every goal the SWAC set and THEN SOME on their own to become members.

If SSU can't comply, then they won't become members like your case with Northridge.

eaglesrthe1
May 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM

No doubt about it, at least for several years. It would be GREAT for SSU. Having certain home games against teams like BCC, FAMU, SCSU, NC A&T, and Hampton every other year would be great for their revenue production and recruiting.
For the other teams in the MEAC, it would just have to be considered an investment for the future... or charity:D

HIU 93
May 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
No doubt about it, at least for several years. It would be GREAT for SSU. Having certain home games against teams like BCC, FAMU, SCSU, NC A&T, and Hampton every other year would be great for their revenue production and recruiting.
For the other teams in the MEAC, it would just have to be considered an investment for the future... or charity:D

More like charity, and charity I don't feel we should give.

catdaddy2402
May 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I would hope that the MEAC is just being cordial here and is not seriously thinking of adding SSU. The MEAC has absolutely nothing to gain by adding them and everything, including and most importantly perception, to lose.

MplsBison
May 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM
What perception is that? HBCUs?

catdaddy2402
May 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
That the team winning the MEAC had an easier slate than any of the other auto-qualifiers because of a weak in-conference slate. That perception is already a problem now....imagine if you add a program the caliber of SSU.

The Big South is desperate for a 6th member and even they aren't looking at SSU.

bluedog
May 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Man ...............I don't care if they a HBCU or full fledged members of the Micheal Jackson fan club.

And I didn't say INVITE THEM IN TODAY......................I said give them an invite, (SINCE YOUR CONFERENCE IS COURTING THEM ANYWAY), based on what the do in 2 YEARS.

If they can't get it together by then, so be it.
It don't stop ya'll from looking at other during this time frame.

Personally .................I don't care.
Just throwing IDEAS..................:eyebrow:

I thought that's what most conference did anyway, I know that's what the SWAC did when AAMU & UPAB applied. Basically they were put on two years probation to prove that they fit.

Tealblood
May 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Savannah is a fun road trip, a good market with no sports to speak of so a schedule full of MEAC could be a good relationship in a reltively big southern town

Kill'em
May 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM
That the team winning the MEAC had an easier slate than any of the other auto-qualifiers because of a weak in-conference slate. That perception is already a problem now....imagine if you add a program the caliber of SSU.

The Big South is desperate for a 6th member and even they aren't looking at SSU.
SSU won't consider them either.

Kill'em
May 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM

The big problem is the SSU athletic program is in serious debt. There is no money for upgrades. SSU made a big mistake in moving to D-I. The state of their athletic program is in such bad shape, especially the football program. Heck, we all know they cancelled their spring practice. I don't see the MEAC accepting them...yet.

jstate83
May 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
The big problem is the SSU athletic program is in serious debt. There is no money for upgrades. SSU made a big mistake in moving to D-I. The state of their athletic program is in such bad shape, especially the football program. Heck, we all know they cancelled their spring practice. I don't see the MEAC accepting them...yet.

OK...........................So why is the MEAC so set on courting them if this is the case. Why not Tennessee ST, (if they want to leave their conference), or Tuskeegee since they have "entertained" the idea of moving up to 1-aa.

Why waste time with SSU if they are in this bad shape?

Kill'em
May 15th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I've wondered this myself.

HIU 93
May 16th, 2006, 06:59 AM
OK...........................So why is the MEAC so set on courting them if this is the case. Why not Tennessee ST, (if they want to leave their conference), or Tuskeegee since they have "entertained" the idea of moving up to 1-aa.

Why waste time with SSU if they are in this bad shape?

The MEAC is not courting SSU. SSU is courting the MEAC. They have been begging to be let in since they became Div. I-AA. The ONLY reasons that SSU is even being considered are President Brown at SSU came from Hampton, and he was very close to Dr. Harvey (Hampton President) and Dr. Thomas (MEAC Commish, former Hampton AD).

Sly Fox
May 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
SSU won't consider them either.

You are misinformed.

IaaScribe
May 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Savannah is a fun road trip, a good market with no sports to speak of so a schedule full of MEAC could be a good relationship in a reltively big southern town

Well, give this guy (who will be traveling there in September for a game) some hot spots to hit up then. :nod:

Tealblood
May 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I went down during Coastals first season.
We stayed out on Tybee(sp) island--- pretty cool
All of the places down on the riverfront area are nice--lots of good restaurants and plenty of cool bars.
I remember one night eating supper in this fairly upscale little rest. and seeing this huge cargo ship sail by.
A large part of the port is upriver from downtown.

Kill'em
May 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM
You are misinformed.
Explain, please. The local paper said Savannah St was looking to join a conference of HBCU's. There was no mention of the BSC (although I think it would be more beneficial for them). What do you know that I don't?

Sly Fox
May 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Overtures were made to the Big South about a year or so ago according to sources in the conference headquarters ... but they were apparently met with indifference (Longwood also was reportedly blown off at the time).

Right now the MEAC is the only league that apparently will give them the time of day.