PDA

View Full Version : Are I-AA Games Too Long?

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I-AA games got two minutes longer this past season. Will they continue to get longer or will these new NCAA rule changes help speed up the process? Not really sure what will happen.

What factors do you think are making the games longer from year to year? What further do you think the NCAA can do?
-----------

College football in need of speed
By RON MORRIS
Columnist

LET ME FIRST admit that addressing the issue of college football games lasting longer than “Gone With the Wind” is purely selfish. On two counts.

First, it is becoming increasingly difficult to meet deadlines when night college football games end sometime around breakfast the next morning. And, second, few college football games keep my interest for more than three hours.

The subject comes to mind only because the NCAA Football Rules Committee recently took a few baby steps toward trimming the length of college games. The rules changes are mere window dressing, but at least the committee has recognized there might be a problem.

NCAA Division I-AA regular-season games averaged 3 hours, 21 minutes in 2005, an increase of two minutes over the previous season.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/14495387.htm

DaGriz
May 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
And, second, few college football games keep my interest for more than three hours.

I never understand that argument when it comes to football. Baseball or golf or something that has a lot of down time, okay, maybe, but football? What would he rather watch, Wife Swap, the Nanny? There is so much scheming and trying to out duel and out think your opponet in football, I'm bummed when it's over. It's not long enough. They need to tack on a 5th quarter and lengthen them.

May 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
... It's not long enough. They need to tack on a 5th quarter and lengthen them.:nod::hurray:

DTSpider
May 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I can remember the game between Richmond & Rhoide Island when both run the triple option. The first half felt like it took about 40 minutes.

I'm surprised 1AA is under attack. I hate when games are on TV and you have to wait for commercials. Otherwise there seems to be little downtime if you have a halftime performance of some sorts.

blukeys
May 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Another whiny spoiled pain in the *ss reporter who is getting paid to watch a football game and then is upset because on average it takes 2 minutes per game longer to watch the game. Yet another reason to be totally suspect about anything written by a sports reporter. (Including their I-AA Polls!!)

ngineer
May 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I never understand that argument when it comes to football. Baseball or golf or something that has a lot of down time, okay, maybe, but football? What would he rather watch, Wife Swap, the Nanny? There is so much scheming and trying to out duel and out think your opponet in football, I'm bummed when it's over. It's not long enough. They need to tack on a 5th quarter and lengthen them.

RIGHT ON! What's another two minutes when you're watching your favorite pastime??? As Ernie Banks used to say, "Let's play two!":D

Mr. C
May 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
It seems like the games have been getting longer in recent years. The biggest culprit is those long TV timeouts. I hate it when some dude is standing on the field, holding up play, while we wait for the game to start back. Cut TV timeouts in half to one minute, instead of two, and that will make a big difference.

Kill'em
May 5th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Just when I thought the NCAA could get no dumber, behold! They pull out the motherload of stupidity!

MR. CHICKEN
May 5th, 2006, 06:15 AM
INJURIES.......PENALTIES.......PLAY CLOCK MALFUNCTIONS......OFFICIAL SCOREBOARD CLOCK PROBLEMS.........MORE PASSING....MORE INCOMPLETES = MORE STOPPED CLOCKS........REFEREE HUDDLES.....DISCUSSIN' CALLS........OVERTIME PERIODS......&...MASCOT DROPPIN'S HAVE TA BE CLEANED UP!....(TALKIN' 'BOUT MONTE...LADS).....:nod:....AWK!

Ronbo
May 5th, 2006, 06:29 AM
INJURIES.......PENALTIES.......PLAY CLOCK MALFUNCTIONS......OFFICIAL SCOREBOARD CLOCK PROBLEMS.........MORE PASSING....MORE INCOMPLETES = MORE STOPPED CLOCKS........REFEREE HUDDLES.....DISCUSSIN' CALLS........OVERTIME PERIODS......&...MASCOT DROPPIN'S HAVE TA BE CLEANED UP!....(TALKIN' 'BOUT MONTE...LADS).....:nod:....AWK!

Bears take one good dump a day. Birds on the other hand crap every 15-20 minutes. :D

walliver
May 5th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Games take longer on average because more teams are running spread-type offenses with lots of short passes to the sidelines where the receiver if frequently knocked out of bounds.

At the I-A and NFL level, endless videotape reviews contrribute greatly to the problem.

You can complain about long TV time outs, but reality is ... it's long TV time outs or NO TV!

Mr. C
May 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Bears take one good dump a day. Birds on the other hand crap every 15-20 minutes. :D
It isn't often that someone gets the best of Mr. Chicken (LOL).

MR. CHICKEN
May 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :p BRAWK!

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I wait all year for football season to start again, and then some blowhard pops up and says that we should make the games shorter - come on, my fall Saturday's are about watching football - the games are fine they way they are - trying to shorten them only robs me of my enjoyment on those Saturdays (well, I could add time to the tailgate but I'd still rather watch the game).

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Who gives a crap about the time, the focus should be on the game. The only time I even look at the clock is close to halftime and the final few mins of the 4th

ButlerGSU
May 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM
They still play 60 total minutes right? I don't see what the problem is.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Just people looking for something to bitch about.

Uncle Buck
May 6th, 2006, 06:19 AM

They do play sixty minutes, but I cringe at the thought of losing time no matter how little when the clock runs even at a change of possession once the ball is spotted. Football season is too short as it is, I like the 5th quarter idea that someone brought up.

Tealblood
May 6th, 2006, 06:41 AM
In this day where every game means something I think coaches are working overtime to make every play count, for a golf analogy it is the guy who ain't hitting the ball the way he wants to so he begins grinding--making sure that everything is perfect for every shot--lining up the putt from every conceivable angle. Football coaches are doing more grinding earlier in games and in posessions due to the importance of every single play and every single game.

Tealblood
May 6th, 2006, 06:43 AM
and I am sorry I forgot to mention that yes I remember that App St. beat the crap out of us 30-3

bluehenbillk
May 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
There is no problem with length of 1-AA games. My only point/question is are the HBCU "Classic" games a 20-minute halftime or are they extended like the Grambling-Southern game?

ngineer
May 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM

True, but I'm glad the bear doesn't do it on my windshield! Spending a glorious night in Rocky Mount NC transporting my son back from college in Florida. But I got free wireless connection!:nod:

ngineer
May 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. C]It seems like the games have been getting longer in recent years. The biggest culprit is those long TV timeouts.

Working at cross-purposes. Be glad your team is getting TV coverage and the revenue those timeouts are generating. The great sacrifice for not having state-owned TV is to suffer through the commercials.

MR. CHICKEN
May 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM
WHAT 'BOUT ALL DEM PARACHUTERS....FLY-OVERAHS.....TRIBUTES....TA SENIOR DAY..........HALL O' FAME INDUCTEES.....ALUMNI BAND PERFORMANCES.......IT'S I-AA PIGGY LADS.......WHY WOULD YA WANNA SHORTEN IT??......:confused:.......BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!