PDA

View Full Version : Maine schedule released, still short one game

ccd494
May 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Horribly written article, and doesn't even give the complete schedule! It's not posted on goblackbears yet either...

---EDIT: Found it at the A-10 website----

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=133237&z=221%20class=

*A-10 game

9/2: OPEN (looking for home game)
9/9: @ Youngstown State
9/14: @ William and Mary*
9/23: OPEN
9/30: @ Boston College
10/7: @ Towson*
10/14: VILLANOVA*
10/21: HOFSTRA*
10/28: @ Rhode Island*
11/4: NORTHEASTERN*
11/11: @ UMass*
11/18: NEW HAMPSHIRE*

th0m
May 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Damn, even with the 10 games that they have now, Maine has a solid schedule. Good luck to the Black Bears.

Pard4Life
May 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
You are about three months too late. Lafayette had an open week for 9/2 once Columbia dropped 10/7. We scheduled a road game for 9/2 at Sacred Heart instead. I'd be much more interested to see Lafayette-Maine though. It'd give us a solid test off the bat.

bluehenbillk
May 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Not an easy start for the Black Bears, they will probably be playing for pride by the mid-part of October. How you don't have 11 games scheduled yet is a shame, your AD is actually worse than ours.

mainejeff
May 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
If anyone read the article, the school that Maine's interim AD did not want to mention was D-2 Lock Haven who signed a contract to play at Southern Illinois. Someone dropped the ball at Maine....plain and simple. Verbal agreements do not equal signed agreements. Maine agreed to play at Youngstown long ago (with no return game which still baffles me). They've known about the Sept.30th game at BC for a longtime as well. I assume that the A-10 schedule has been set for a while too (I'm not sure why the league made Maine's first league home game on Oct.14th though :confused: :confused: :confused:). Anyway, this is what happens when you go an entire school year with an "Interim AD".:mad:

I say just take the revenue hit and play 10 games. Lock Haven certainly wasn't going to help you make the playoffs. This will go down as one of Maine's toughest schedules ever, but also one of their lamest home schedules ever.

henfan
May 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM
With a competitive schedule like that UMaine doesn't necessarily need a game verus a competitive I-AA program. They just need a home game for the revenue. There's got to be a team at some level willing to play in beautiful Orono.

BTW, whatever happened to the schedule helper that used to be on the NCAA's website?

DTSpider
May 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Maine definitely needs a home game. Having a home opener on Oct. 14th is tough enough, but even more difficult if you're 1-3 or 0-4.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
What about a NEFC team (division II)?

Curry College
Worcester State
Plymouth State
Coast Guard
UMass-Dartmouth
Maine Maritime

Are all of these schools indisposed?

PapaBear
May 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Maine definitely needs a home game. Having a home opener on Oct. 14th is tough enough, but even more difficult if you're 1-3 or 0-4.

Yeah. Might as well cancel the whole season now. No sense even trying to win those first four games if we have to do it on someone else's field.

Why don't you tell us the outcome of our other games, too, and spare us the indignity of having to go play them?xidiotx

bandl
May 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM

I don't see why they couldn't be 3-1. Youngstown State, despite all the chest-banging, hasn't won a meaningful game since....??? Mary & Bill is very beatable, as is Towson. But put in your 2nd/3rd stringers against BC...save the 1st stringers.

mainejeff
May 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I agree that the early schedule may not be devestating record wise. The biggest hit is in revenue (probably $50-75K) and just the overall perception of the program from a fan point of view. I still don't understand how an AD and coach can allow a schedule like this to be develop. It's not like football schedules are done just a few months ebfore the season starts.

DTSpider
May 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah. Might as well cancel the whole season now. No sense even trying to win those first four games if we have to do it on someone else's field.

Why don't you tell us the outcome of our other games, too, and spare us the indignity of having to go play them?xidiotx

Easy there PapaBear, just saying playing on those games on the road is tough on the fans. It's always harder to get fans to games if you don't get them early in the season. Plus, if you have a losing record it's harder as well. The best part about the off-season and early season is that hope springs enternal for the home team.

Without looking I don't think that Maine has been good on the road the last 2 or 3 years. W&M should be a good team (they're tough to beat at Zable), Towson is rapidly improving and Youngstown has a soild track record. Going 1-2 against those teams is probably what most people would estimate.

Last year Richmond suffered the same fate. We had to move the schedule around (thank you UMass) to get an early season home game. Even then, we played at home on Sept 2 but not until Oct 20th I think. By the second game we were 1-3 and attendance was way down.

mainejeff
May 4th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Easy there PapaBear, just saying playing on those games on the road is tough on the fans. It's always harder to get fans to games if you don't get them early in the season. Plus, if you have a losing record it's harder as well. The best part about the off-season and early season is that hope springs enternal for the home team.

Without looking I don't think that Maine has been good on the road the last 2 or 3 years. W&M should be a good team (they're tough to beat at Zable), Towson is rapidly improving and Youngstown has a soild track record. Going 1-2 against those teams is probably what most people would estimate.

Last year Richmond suffered the same fate. We had to move the schedule around (thank you UMass) to get an early season home game. Even then, we played at home on Sept 2 but not until Oct 20th I think. By the second game we were 1-3 and attendance was way down.

You're definitely right about the attendance thing. It's even more pronounced at Maine where even if you're winning attendance drops off dramatically after mid-October. Add to that the fact that Maine televises EVERY game locally xidiotx......and this makes the upcomng season a recipe for disaster at the gate. Maine's best hope is to go 2-2 with one of those losses being to Boston College. That would at least keep them in the running for the playoffs and keep the fans interested coming into their game vs. Villanova on Oct. 14th.

PapaBear
May 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=DTSpider]Easy there PapaBear, just saying playing on those games on the road is tough on the fans.QUOTE]

I have no "easy" gear with guys who try to predict outcomes under any circumstances -- let alone five months before kickoff. Besides, you could easily make your point -- that road games are tough on fans who have to wait until mid-October for their first home game -- without "forecasting" what Maine's record will be at the first home game. For future reference, here are the words you could use:

"Maine's performance on those first four games could have a real bearing on attendance at their first home game. If they win more than they lose, home attendance on Oct 14 could be great. If they lose three or four of those games, the home stands could be awfully empty when Nova comes to town."

See? No disparaging forecasts and I still said the same thing you were trying to say.

No charge for the editing.

mainejeff
May 4th, 2006, 07:45 PM
At times, Maine has done better on the road under Cosgrove (although they were horrible last season......excluding the Nebraska game). At least that provides some hope that they can survive life on the road.

On a side note, there are rumors that Maine is playing at Penn State in 2008.

Papa Bear or others......know anything about that one?

DTSpider
May 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to lock in that you'd be 1-3 or 0-4, but I can understand how you could interept my post that way.

89Hen
May 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Curry College
Worcester State
Plymouth State
Coast Guard
UMass-Dartmouth
Maine Maritime
Hey, the Hens used to play the Merchant Marines. :nod:

PapaBear
May 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
On a side note, there are rumors that Maine is playing at Penn State in 2008.

Papa Bear or others......know anything about that one?

Nope. I hear it's UCONN next year. I'd give almost anything for the Penn State rumor to be true.

On another note, I hear they've got three solid possibilities for an 11th game. Two on 9/2 and one on 9/23. Nothing definite, yet. Hope to fisj around this weekend when I'm there for Spring Game.

DTSpider
May 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM
UConn would be an interesting matchup. Would be great for someone in the A10/CAA to play our old conference mate. On the other hand, playing in Happy Valley is a once in a lifetime experience. That would be huge.

mainejeff
May 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
UConn would be an interesting matchup. Would be great for someone in the A10/CAA to play our old conference mate. On the other hand, playing in Happy Valley is a once in a lifetime experience. That would be huge.

It would be $$$huge$$$ alright!:nod:

I wonder how Blue Hen fans would feel about a Maine/Penn State game?

blukeys
May 4th, 2006, 09:38 PM
The biggest hit is in revenue (probably $50-75K) and just the overall perception of the program from a fan point of view. I still don't understand how an AD and coach can allow a schedule like this to be develop. It's not like football schedules are done just a few months ebfore the season starts.

Maine fans have every right to gripe about the schedule situation. The A-10 schedule was set last year so the only games the AD needed to line up were the 3 OOC games. An early season home D-2 matchup (and there are plenty of D-2 teams in the Northeast who would have been glad to go to Maine) would work fine and give Maine the 50-75K they will lose.

This is about as bad as ignoring problems with a football field that costs a team a home game. Are you sure the Maine AD is not Edgar Johnson?

mainejeff
May 4th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Funny thing is that Maine isn't the first and only A-10 school that has had football scheduling issues. I'm not sure why this seems to be an annual problem for anyone in the A-10. There are plenty of schools around the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic to play.

ccd494
May 4th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I don't blame Nero for the Lock Haven fiasco. Teams like Southern Illinois can offer more money. It's really no one's fault. Maybe Lock Haven a little for backing out for more money, but not really.

Hell, they should play Husson. That would be close to a sell out and play everyone.

GoGuins
May 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Youngstown State, despite all the chest-banging, hasn't won a meaningful game since....???

There's only one YSU fan doing any "chest-banging" on here :rolleyes: I for one admit YSU hasn't won a meaningful game since the '99 playoffs.

YSU will get early season tests with Maine & UC Davis, both at home.

henfan
May 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Since Penn State has never been a rival of UD's, I'm not sure many UD fans would care much one way or another. It's certainly not a game UD needs.

However, we hardcores could hope the Bears could pull off a huge upset and make the CAA look good, I suppose. It would be great that our conference partner is getting a nice payday and a high visability game. Best of luck.

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM
It would be $$$huge$$$ alright!:nod:

We talked about this before - sure, we'd like to play at Nebraska like you guys did, and playing at Penn St would be nice too (especially since Penn St has big tim problems against teams with Delaware's uniform! ) but I wouldn't want to take Maine's road where they play a guaranteed loss game every year - yes, I know you got fortunate with catching Miss St at a low point, but playing Nebraska, Penn St, even BC every year is pretty much a loss. I wouldn't mind having these games every now and then, and especially in years where there are 12 games, but to do it every year with only 11 games on the schedule is overdoing it a bit. UD's got Maryland coming up in 2008 so that works for me for now. I still prefer getting the elite in IAA to come to Newark in December rather than a yearly tour of who's who in IA - maybe once every 4-5 years, just not every year.

Oh - and I've been to Penn St as well - great place to watch a game (although so big it feels like a pro game), a horrible place to try to get out of after the game - while I'd love to see UD play them, I would still cringe at the thought of getting on the road after the game - you'd think they could solve that issue but I'm no traffic engineer.

DTSpider
May 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Funny thing is that Maine isn't the first and only A-10 school that has had football scheduling issues. I'm not sure why this seems to be an annual problem for anyone in the A-10. There are plenty of schools around the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic to play.

I haven't heard of Richmond or W&M having scheduling problems...unless you count hurricanes :D

WMTribe90
May 5th, 2006, 09:47 AM
We talked about this before - sure, we'd like to play at Nebraska like you guys did, and playing at Penn St would be nice too (especially since Penn St has big tim problems against teams with Delaware's uniform! ) but I wouldn't want to take Maine's road where they play a guaranteed loss game every year - yes, I know you got fortunate with catching Miss St at a low point, but playing Nebraska, Penn St, even BC every year is pretty much a loss. I wouldn't mind having these games every now and then, and especially in years where there are 12 games, but to do it every year with only 11 games on the schedule is overdoing it a bit. UD's got Maryland coming up in 2008 so that works for me for now. I still prefer getting the elite in IAA to come to Newark in December rather than a yearly tour of who's who in IA - maybe once every 4-5 years, just not every year.

To each there own, but I love that WM plays a IA every year. Even with the IA we are going to go 2-1 in our OOC most years, which means we can still lose two games in conference. Once every decade or so the IA game might keep us out of the playoffs, but I accept this trade off for the other nine years of exciting IA games that have no bearing on our playoff status. In fact the majority of teams that make the semi of the IAA playoffs played a IA game in the regular season. The last three champs all played a IA game if I'm not mistaken.

The IA games are great for the players and the fans. The games I remeber most (besides OT thrillers and playoff games) are the IA matchups and the opportunity to measure up to IA talent. Laycock likes starting the year against a IA and exposing an weaknesses early so they can be worked on before starting conference play. The IA games are great recruiting tools as well and one used heavily during recruiting weekends. While the money is beneficial and welcome, WM's situation does not require an annual IA game to keep the program afloat and Laycock would still play these games even if we were in UDs or Montana's shoe economically speaking.

There's no right or wrong approach to IA games, but sometimes I feel like some fans believe any school that plays an annual IA game is simply whoring themselves out for the payday. That shoe doesn't fit WM or a lot of other programs I imagine. Now playing two or three IA games makes no sense unless your program needs it to stay afloat and will seriously hurt your playoff chances.

Fordham
May 5th, 2006, 09:47 AM
We both have an open spot on 9/23 but I doubt you want anything getting in the way of what will be a 2 week preparation for BC.

Anyone know what your Nebraska and Miss St. payouts were? Just curious what a big time BCS school/conference team pays out.

faxjusfax
May 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I heard Monmouth has a spot open in early September. Why not invite them up?

With the already challenging schedule, this would still be a IAA game, and I suppose with Monmouth starting to give out scholarships, this is exactly the type of "up" game they need.

Cap'n Cat
May 5th, 2006, 10:25 AM
There's only one YSU fan doing any "chest-banging" on here :rolleyes: I for one admit YSU hasn't won a meaningful game since the '99 playoffs.

YSU will get early season tests with Maine & UC Davis, both at home.

The only YSU fan with any semblance of sense.....................

:bow:

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM
To each there own, but I love that WM plays a IA every year. Even with the IA we are going to go 2-1 in our OOC most years, which means we can still lose two games in conference. Once every decade or so the IA game might keep us out of the playoffs, but I accept this trade off for the other nine years of exciting IA games that have no bearing on our playoff status. In fact the majority of teams that make the semi of the IAA playoffs played a IA game in the regular season. The last three champs all played a IA game if I'm not mistaken.

The IA games are great for the players and the fans. The games I remeber most (besides OT thrillers and playoff games) are the IA matchups and the opportunity to measure up to IA talent. Laycock likes starting the year against a IA and exposing an weaknesses early so they can be worked on before starting conference play. The IA games are great recruiting tools as well and one used heavily during recruiting weekends. While the money is beneficial and welcome, WM's situation does not require an annual IA game to keep the program afloat and Laycock would still play these games even if we were in UDs or Montana's shoe economically speaking.

There's no right or wrong approach to IA games, but sometimes I feel like some fans believe any school that plays an annual IA game is simply whoring themselves out for the payday. That shoe doesn't fit WM or a lot of other programs I imagine. Now playing two or three IA games makes no sense unless your program needs it to stay afloat and will seriously hurt your playoff chances.

That's not what I was referring to - I don't believe W&M overschedules themselves like Maine does when they play a IA team - rarely does W&M play a top 25 IA team, as Maine has started to do with regularity (Nebraska wasn't when they played them but certainly has the capability, BC does, as does Penn St). W&M's list of IA opponents over the past 8 years has been: Marshall, North Carolina, Western Michigan, Indiana, East Carolina, Central Florida, North Carolina St, and Temple. Outside of the North Carolina schools, the others are not strong IA teams and not legit top 25 contenders (even UNC is not typically a top 25 contender but they do have some good years here and there). That's different, and more realistic IMO, than playing teams like Penn St every year. I have no problem with playing IA teams every year, I just wouldn't want it to be a top 25 team every year.

WMTribe90
May 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
That's not what I was referring to - I don't believe W&M overschedules themselves like Maine does when they play a IA team - rarely does W&M play a top 25 IA team, as Maine has started to do with regularity (Nebraska wasn't when they played them but certainly has the capability, BC does, as does Penn St). W&M's list of IA opponents over the past 8 years has been: Marshall, North Carolina, Western Michigan, Indiana, East Carolina, Central Florida, North Carolina St, and Temple. Outside of the North Carolina schools, the others are not strong IA teams and not legit top 25 contenders (even UNC is not typically a top 25 contender but they do have some good years here and there). That's different, and more realistic IMO, than playing teams like Penn St every year. I have no problem with playing IA teams every year, I just wouldn't want it to be a top 25 team every year.

Agreed, but who can say whether a team will be top 25 or not when you schedule three to four years in advance unless your talking Ohio St., Michigan, Florida Schools, USC, etc... Heck before last year Maine could have scheduled Penn State and probably given them a game. I wouldn't intentionally want WM to schedule top 25s either, but who knows where a team will be by the time you actually play the game. MSU and Nebraska weren't top 25, BC might be, and no deal with Penn State is done as far as I know. At any rate, I doubt Maine is attempting to play top 25 teams.

Just an FYI, but WM's future IA tilts include MD (2006), VT, and UVA (twice). Doubt any of these will be winnable, but still looking forward to the opportunity to matchup.

DTSpider
May 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Just an FYI, but WM's future IA tilts include MD (2006), VT, and UVA (twice). Doubt any of these will be winnable, but still looking forward to the opportunity to matchup.

Don't underestimate yourself. UVA could be winnable. They are moving towards the bottom of the ACC.

I agree that W&M does it the "right way" with 1A games. Richmond follows a similar model in that we're playing a 1A every year, but teams like Vanderbilt, Duke, UVA, NC State, etc. where there is some mutual appeal. Those games pay very well (important) and definitely help with recruiting. Since they're close to home as well its good for the fans since many end up traveling.

WMTribe90
May 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hard to say where UVA will be in a couple years, but I agree that the seem to be losing ground in the ACC at present. We have beaten them before, it would be great to do it again. I would love to see Navy, Duke, Wake, or Vanderbilt on the schedule. Kudos to your AD for lining up some good matchups for the Spiders. What's your QB situation heading into the fall?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah, JMU is jumping on board the ACC train, playing Duke in 2007, and UNC in 2008 and 2011 I believe... (Please correct me, just off the top of my head) 98% of our fans are very pleased, especially after taking on top 10 I-A schools VT and WVU in the recent past.

Also, to reiterate the sceduling woes of the A-10, being that we have a strong conference, many teams don't want to schedule games with us, especially in our house.

Many of us at JMU were about to explode with anger prior to the ASU game, but even at that, we have the best team we have ever had (on paper - keep that in mind - still only on paper), and we can't get even get 6 home games! Of the 5, one is a D2!!! :bang:

ASU is dealing with the same issues in the SoCon, but somehow their AD got NC State and a home game vs. JMU. Much of this is luck - the bulk of the schedules are made well in advance. Still, getting that one game to make your schedule sell season tickets really is a big key to the AD's job.

The best thing we can do is win OOC games for our conference and begin to demand some home games for our track record.

If only we could afford to play the BigSky conference - I think we'd see some great matchups!

DTSpider
May 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
What's your QB situation heading into the fall?

I apologize for high-jacking this thread, but it's a lengthy asnwer.

Not surprisingly it's still up in the air. During spring practice everyone was pretty hush-hush about it. Rumor was that Levi Brown (the kid who started the the 2 games last year as a true freshman) was ahead. At the spring game Eric Ward (redshirted last year as a true freshman) performed well above the other two in terms of pocket poise, timing of throws, accuracy, etc. So, not sure how it'll turn out, but it appears to be between those two right now although the third kid (Will Healy - rising redshirt sophomore) played well enough in spring practice. The coaches all said that each of the three quarterbacks had days in practice where they were rated the best. All that is known is that it'll be either a freshman or sophomore starting next year.

Ward appears a little more athletic with his footwork. Brown appears to have the strongest arm. Both are big guys, in the 6-3, 6-4 range carrying 210-220 pounds.

The hope is that the offensive line plays better. Last year they were freshman & sophomores and were awful in the beginning of the year. They improved and were decent at the end. Hopefully as sophomores & juniors they'll be better. In spring practice they were dominated by the d-line, but not sure what that shows. The running backs & receivers will have to step it up as well. Some good young guys who the coaches are excited about, but who need to play well. At the end of the year a few of them started to play well (Tim Hightower & Arman Shields) but they are going to have to really get a lot better. If the rest of the offense can improve, I think the young QB's will be ok. They aren't going to replace Tutt in production (it's not fair to ask anyone to do that), so the other guys will have to.

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I don't blame Nero for the Lock Haven fiasco. Teams like Southern Illinois can offer more money. It's really no one's fault. Maybe Lock Haven a little for backing out for more money, but not really.

Hell, they should play Husson. That would be close to a sell out and play everyone.

Husson......Maine's West Chester.:hurray:

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I hate to agree with a W&M fan, but I also like the I-A game every year for Maine, and the $$$ guarantee is just an added bonus. Yes, the games are almost always an automatic loss......but it those games are definitely a recruiting advantage and get the fans more excited and interested in the program. The I-A games raise the profile of the program.....no doubt about it. And finally, Maine is doing it right......Mississippi State, Nebraska, Boston College, UConn, and possibly Penn State in consecutive years......those ain't no MAC or Lousiana directional also-rans.

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I heard Monmouth has a spot open in early September. Why not invite them up?

With the already challenging schedule, this would still be a IAA game, and I suppose with Monmouth starting to give out scholarships, this is exactly the type of "up" game they need.

If Monmouth has the opening, then that would be my bet for Maine's 11th game.

aceinthehole
May 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
If Monmouth has the opening, then that would be my bet for Maine's 11th game.

Sorry, all NEC teams have fnished their schedule. Here is Monmouth's:

2006 MONMOUTH UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

09/02 at Fordham tba
09/09 LA SALLE 1 p.m.
09/16 ST. PETER’S 1 p.m.
09/23 at Colgate 1 p.m.
09/30 ^ STONY BROOK 1 p.m.
10/07 ^ SACRED HEART 1 p.m.
10/14 ^ at Wagner tba
10/21 ^ at Robert Morris tba
10/28 ^ CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE 1 p.m.
11/04 ^ ST. FRANCIS (PA.) 1 p.m.
11/11 ^ at Albany tba

faxjusfax
May 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I believe La Salle pulled out of the Monmouth game. Maine would be a good test!

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I hate to agree with a W&M fan, but I also like the I-A game every year for Maine, and the $$$ guarantee is just an added bonus. Yes, the games are almost always an automatic loss......but it those games are definitely a recruiting advantage and get the fans more excited and interested in the program. The I-A games raise the profile of the program.....no doubt about it. And finally, Maine is doing it right......Mississippi State, Nebraska, Boston College, UConn, and possibly Penn State in consecutive years......those ain't no MAC or Lousiana directional also-rans.

If fans are getting excited and interested about the program, they must be doing so in ways other than coming out for the football games - Maine's average attendances over the past 3 years, with the first year being the only one without a DIA game:

2003: 6606
2004: 6746
2005: 5415

And don't blame the 2005 schedule either - the home schedule included playoff bound Richmond, near-playoff team UMass, and Delaware. Strangely enough, the highest attended home game all year was the game against NAIA William Penn. Maybe they were just curious about NAIA meant? ;)

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Sorry, all NEC teams have fnished their schedule. Here is Monmouth's:

2006 MONMOUTH UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

09/02 at Fordham tba
09/09 LA SALLE 1 p.m.
09/16 ST. PETER’S 1 p.m.
09/23 at Colgate 1 p.m.
09/30 ^ STONY BROOK 1 p.m.
10/07 ^ SACRED HEART 1 p.m.
10/14 ^ at Wagner tba
10/21 ^ at Robert Morris tba
10/28 ^ CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE 1 p.m.
11/04 ^ ST. FRANCIS (PA.) 1 p.m.
11/11 ^ at Albany tba

I knew that but had forgotten about it.:(

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
If fans are getting excited and interested about the program, they must be doing so in ways other than coming out for the football games - Maine's average attendances over the past 3 years, with the first year being the only one without a DIA game:

2003: 6606
2004: 6746
2005: 5415

And don't blame the 2005 schedule either - the home schedule included playoff bound Richmond, near-playoff team UMass, and Delaware. Strangely enough, the highest attended home game all year was the game against NAIA William Penn. Maybe they were just curious about NAIA meant? ;)

What I failed to mention is that winning and weather trump all when it comes to actual game attendance at Maine. The opponent DOES NOT MATTER. I know that some will find that hard to believe, but it is true. However, when it comes to fan "buzz" and "chatter".......the games vs. the I-As definitely take the cake......they also get much more notice from recruits as well. The athletic store even had t-shirts printed after the Mississippi State victory and sold dozens of them!

faxjusfax
May 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I knew that but had forgotten about it.:(

I'm pretty sure about La Salle dropping the game on Sept. 9th. If it really interests Maine, a quick phone call to Monmouth would do it

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 01:34 PM
The athletic store even had t-shirts printed after the Mississippi State victory and sold dozens of them!

Dozens? Really? 36 maybe? Just teasing, but the miniscule amount that is "dozens" is just laughable on a Friday.

Umass74
May 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
MaineJeff:

Remember when you play B.C and UConn, the UMass faithfull are with you. Please pull another Mississippi State! Please! :bow: :bow: :bow:

ccd494
May 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM
As MJ said, it doesn't matter what the records are or who Maine plays. It is 100% weather related to determine attendance.

Look at the best attended games of the past few years, they are all early season games. And, not to insult I-AA, but there is no name recognition difference between James Madison and William Penn. I guarantee that if you polled 100 casual Maine fans, there would not be a significant amount who could tell you that JMU is a recent national champ and William Penn is NAIA. No one cares. They just want to go see the team before it's 10 below and dark at 3:30 pm.

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Dozens? Really? 36 maybe? Just teasing, but the miniscule amount that is "dozens" is just laughable on a Friday.

I could have said hundreds, but then I'd probably be lying. I bet that they actually sold a couple hundred......hence the "dozens" ;).

Lehigh Football Nation
May 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
It is 100% weather related to determine attendance.

:eyebrow:

If THAT is true, Maine must have the worst AD in the nation. Wouldn't you then want to front-load your home games, getting a couple in September?

Unless you Maine fans prefer a frozen field? ;)

In all seriousness, I know Lehigh likes to plan their schedule to have a decent amount of home games in September and October, where you can go see the great foliage around Murray Goodman or tailgate in summer-like weather. Of course, we have our share of "fair-weather" fans too... one of my pet peeves :nonono2:

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
As MJ said, it doesn't matter what the records are or who Maine plays. It is 100% weather related to determine attendance.

Look at the best attended games of the past few years, they are all early season games. And, not to insult I-AA, but there is no name recognition difference between James Madison and William Penn. I guarantee that if you polled 100 casual Maine fans, there would not be a significant amount who could tell you that JMU is a recent national champ and William Penn is NAIA. No one cares. They just want to go see the team before it's 10 below and dark at 3:30 pm.

So true ccd......:(. Looking at the 2006 schedule.......if I were Maine, I would only televise the homecoming game (Villanova?) and UNH game (last game of the season). The contract with WABI would probably prevent that however.

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM
:eyebrow:

If THAT is true, Maine must have the worst AD in the nation. Wouldn't you then want to front-load your home games, getting a couple in September?

Unless you Maine fans prefer a frozen field? ;)

In all seriousness, I know Lehigh likes to plan their schedule to have a decent amount of home games in September and October, where you can go see the great foliage around Murray Goodman or tailgate in summer-like weather. Of course, we have our share of "fair-weather" fans too... one of my pet peeves :nonono2:

In all fairness, Maine has had a pretty good early season home schedule over the last 6 or 7 years. I guess that it finally caught up with them.

ccd494
May 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Additionally, once you get into late October/early November, you're also talking hockey season. A lot of fans will opt to go to hockey, rather than football.

rcny46
May 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Curry College
Worcester State
Plymouth State
Coast Guard
UMass-Dartmouth
Maine Maritime

Are all of these schools indisposed?

I may be mistaken,but I believe the NEFC schools mentioned in your post are D-3.

blukeys
May 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
In all fairness, Maine has had a pretty good early season home schedule over the last 6 or 7 years. I guess that it finally caught up with them.

Wouldn't a smart AD at Maine suggest to Delaware, JMU and W&M that when they are at home that these teams would come in Sept. and Oct. and that when Maine is away they would go to the Southern sites in late Oct. and Nov. ?

I know there are restrictions due to the A-10 schedule but some serious lobbying and pointing out the obvious advantages to all the schools could get some more weather friendly games which helps all. I would like to see Maine in late Sept.. I have always been amazed that Delaware consistently travels to Maine late in the season. Let us travel to Maine early and then travel to Towson late in the season. If it helps attendance by a few thousand it will be worth it. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

ccd494
May 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't a smart AD at Maine suggest to Delaware, JMU and W&M that when they are at home that these teams would come in Sept. and Oct. and that when Maine is away they would go to the Southern sites in late Oct. and Nov. ?

I know there are restrictions due to the A-10 schedule but some serious lobbying and pointing out the obvious advantages to all the schools could get some more weather friendly games which helps all. I would like to see Maine in late Sept.. I have always been amazed that Delaware consistently travels to Maine late in the season. Let us travel to Maine early and then travel to Towson late in the season. If it helps attendance by a few thousand it will be worth it. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Because it doesn't matter. William Penn or Delaware, the same x number of people will show up to the game. And its not like either amount of people effect the game. They cheer when Maine has the ball, and are silent on defense. They don't understand crowd football despite the attempts of the school with the scoreboard and stuff. Short of scheduling every home game in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season, there's nothing we can do.

mainejeff
May 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Because it doesn't matter. William Penn or Delaware, the same x number of people will show up to the game. And its not like either amount of people effect the game. They cheer when Maine has the ball, and are silent on defense. They don't understand crowd football despite the attempts of the school with the scoreboard and stuff. Short of scheduling every home game in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season, there's nothing we can do.

I agree with you. If it's Delaware, you get a couple hundred extra visitng fans......that's about it. Maine needs at least 2 September games to have a successful season at the gate. Ain't gonna happen this year.:(

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM
MaineJeff:

Remember when you play B.C and UConn, the UMass faithfull are with you. Please pull another Mississippi State! Please! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ditto for Wildcat Nation, especially when you play the UCH Beagles!!! Not sure they'd get as excited about that UConn matchup, but a certain UNH Alum will be! xlolx Depending on the UNH and work schedules, I'll even look into scoring a ticket for that game at the Rent. Sorry, but I don't like purchasing tickets and hence supporting my home state university. :p

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just will not ever understand New England football fans. :o

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. I guess I just will not ever understand New England football fans. :o

FWIW, I don't think that same syndrome exists in Durham. Last year, significantly more people showed up for the November game with Maine than the game a week earlier (also in November) against Iona. IIRC, it was the highest regular season attendance of the year (homecoming was during a monsoon). Yes, there were a good number of Black Bear fans in the stands, but playing the border rival in a meaningful game drew more UNH people to Cowell.

Winning and quality opponents increase attendance in Durham IMHO. I know a crowd almost 1-2K over capacity isn't going to show up in Durham in September (like happened against Maine, Colgate and Northern Iowa last November and December) just because the team has a winning record and the weather is good. Stony Brook will probably draw a good crowd this year because it is the only home game in September and people will want to see the team coming off last year's season, not because the opponent doesn't matter.

JMHO, but the quality of the opposition is a significant factor and the weather a less significant factor in Durham. I think that the Wildcat faithful proved that with the overcapacity crowds during winter conditions during the playoffs last season.

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
FWIW, I don't think that same syndrome exists in Durham. Last year, significantly more people showed up for the November game with Maine than the game a week earlier (also in November) against Iona. IIRC, it was the highest regular season attendance of the year (homecoming was during a monsoon). Yes, there were a good number of Black Bear fans in the stands, but playing the border rival in a meaningful game drew more UNH people to Cowell.

Winning and quality opponents increase attendance in Durham IMHO. I know a crowd almost 1-2K over capacity isn't going to show up in Durham in September (like happened against Maine, Colgate and Northern Iowa last November and December) just because the team has a winning record and the weather is good. Stony Brook will probably draw a good crowd this year because it is the only home game in September and people will want to see the team coming off last year's season, not because the opponent doesn't matter.

JMHO, but the quality of the opposition is a significant factor and the weather a less significant factor in Durham. I think that the Wildcat faithful proved that with the overcapacity crowds during winter conditions during the playoffs last season.

So the Hens could get a bigger than usual crowd?:confused:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM
So the Hens could get a bigger than usual crowd?:confused:

Regardless of how many UNH folks are on hand, I know the attendance will be 22K+ at the Tub. Therefore, the crowd couldn't be any larger than normal. :p

There will probably be a few more Wildcat faithful than two years ago at the Tub, but probably not much beyond the number of seats allocated to the visitors. I don't think we've come close to developing a traveling entourage like the Blue Hen faithful! There were a pretty good number of UNH folks at Towson last year, probably more than the ticket allotment to UNH. But that ticket is a lot easier to get than one at the Tub and I know I can't rely on a walk-up ticket like I did that day at Towson!

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Regardless of how many UNH folks are on hand, I know the attendance will be 22K+ at the Tub. Therefore, the crowd couldn't be any larger than normal. :p

There will probably be a few more Wildcat faithful than two years ago at the Tub, but probably not much beyond the number of seats allocated to the visitors. I don't think we've come close to developing a traveling entourage like the Blue Hen faithful! There were a pretty good number of UNH folks at Towson last year, probably more than the ticket allotment to UNH. But that ticket is a lot easier to get than one at the Tub and I know I can't rely on a walk-up ticket like I did that day at Towson!

Agreed, The UNH ticket will be hard to get this year. (This will be a really good game) Never underestimate the Hens!!!!

Let me know if you need a ticket or two. I can help out as can other Hen fans on this board.

This game will sell out VERY Quickly!!!!!!!!!!!

Delaware fans are very knowledgeable and this will be the first real test of 2006.

blukeys
May 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Actually I was asking if UD gets a bigger crowd at UNH then other teams. I would not be upset if UMASS gets the biggest crowd, but I would hope that UNH fans would prefer us to Stony Brook!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Actually I was asking if UD gets a bigger crowd at UNH then other teams. I would not be upset if UMASS gets the biggest crowd, but I would hope that UNH fans would prefer us to Stony Brook!!!

Based on my unscientific observation, I'd say that Maine brings the most fans of any visiting teams with Delaware a fairly close second. UMass would be third. FWIW, I base that on the leaner years at UNH when it was pretty obvious how many vistors there were because they were virtually the only ones over at that side of the field.

For people in southern Maine and Greater Portland, UNH is actually a shorter drive than Orono. While the UMass alumni in Greater Boston also have a shorter ride than to Amherst, they don't seem to travel as well. And for the folks in the Pioneer Valley of MA, Durham is a long ride by New England standards which seems to keep them from making the trip. My experience has been to see more UNH fans in Amherst than UMass fans in Durham. Saint0917 and UMass74 can add their observations to help this study!!

It will be interesting to see how the season ticket sales goes this year. I'm anticipating fewer seats on sale on game day, but still plenty of SRO tickets sold in the general admission category. If 2006 is another successful season, then the Blue Hen travelling entourage in 2007 will probably have to buy tickets ahead of time and arrive reasonably early to ensure a seat. This past season only the Iona and monsoon games were under capacity IIRC.

GannonFan
May 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Let's not get crazy here - sure the UD/UNH game will be a sellout in Newark this year, but with only 12k-13k season ticket holders in a 22k stadium, that's 10k seats to be sold to the public, and UD rarely if ever sells out a game more than 3-4 weeks before the game - since tickets go on sale in early August for all games and the UNH game is at the end of September, I'm sure anyone who calls in early August, UNH fan or UD fan, will probably get a ticket. If you wait until the week of the game or walk-up (I don't think we even have walk-up anymore) then obviously you'll be out of luck - just buy early and all will be good.

ccd494
May 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM
It's just that Maine fans know nothing about I-AA as an entity.

The fact of the matter is, if the hockey team schedules a bad opponent like, say, Sacred Heart, they will still sell out because there is such a high demand for tickets it could be the only chance for the fan to get in the building. The fan knows Sacred Heart sucks though.

But if football schedules Sacred Heart, the name "Sacred Heart" means little to nothing to the fan compared to other I-AA opponents, even lower division opponents. It's a lack of exposure problem.

mainejeff
May 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
The only buzz that I've ever witnessed for an opponent in Orono was Montana in 2003. Yes, it was a September night game, but there was still an air of bigtime college football that I had never seen in Orono before or since. I believe that attendance for that game was about 9,500.

ccd494
May 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
The only buzz that I've ever witnessed for an opponent in Orono was Montana in 2003. Yes, it was a September night game, but there was still an air of bigtime college football that I had never seen in Orono before or since. I believe that attendance for that game was about 9,500.

That was a fun night and a good show. I think the athletic dept. learned a lot from the Montana series, but some of the things they're trying are good when you draw 20k, not 7k.

henfan
May 9th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think the athletic dept. learned a lot from the Montana series, but some of the things they're trying are good when you draw 20k, not 7k.

What sort of things could they have possibly learned that they didn't already know and what specifically has UMaine done to try to attract fans to Alfond?

mainejeff
May 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Doesn't matter. Other than allowing tailgating (which they finally did thank God), there is nothing Maine could do besides winning games and/or stop televising games locally that would significantly improve attendance.

ccd494
May 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
What sort of things could they have possibly learned that they didn't already know and what specifically has UMaine done to try to attract fans to Alfond?

Promotional stuff. Improving the mascot's "mobility" so that it could be more like the Griz mascot (the ability to jump around and do flips and stuff and not just walk and wave). In other words, improving stuff that did need improving, but that don't make a huge difference.

ccd494
May 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Here's one for MaineJeff: Husson College will have just as many I-AA non-conference games as Maine will.

Husson, an independent DIII in Bangor, ME, will travel to LaSalle on October 28.

In other news, Maine still only has 10 games, and I haven't heard anything about finding a game for 9/2. : smh :

faxjusfax
May 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Here's one for MaineJeff: Husson College will have just as many I-AA non-conference games as Maine will.

Husson, an independent DIII in Bangor, ME, will travel to LaSalle on October 28.

In other news, Maine still only has 10 games, and I haven't heard anything about finding a game for 9/2. : smh :

Would that Husson - La Salle game be on 9/28? That's a Thursday night, and La Salle will have new turf and lights this year. This is one of the games I know they tried to schedule at night. Is there anyway you can verify the date?

ccd494
May 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Husson will open the season against Pace at Pleasantville, N.Y., on Saturday, Sept. 2, and will play its home opener the following Saturday against Utica. The Eagles will visit Norwich on Sept. 16; the Springfield game will be at Husson on Oct. 7 and the La Salle game will be in Philadelphia on Oct. 28.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=134259&z=501%20class=