PDA

View Full Version : New FCS news site: College Sports Journal

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Just wanted to let everyone in the FCS community know of a new website that will be devoted to FCS news and commentary: College Sports Journal. The address for our home page is:

www.college-sports-journal.com

It is brought to you by a pair of respected names in the FCS writing world, David Coulson and Chuck Burton.

David Coulson, a graduate of Fresno State, has been covering college football for 35 years and is in his 19th season of covering FCS. His background includes work for the Los Angeles Times, The Sports Network, College Sporting News and many other publications.

Chuck Burton, a graduate of Lehigh, has been writing about FCS for nearly a decade and is best known for his work with his blog, Lehigh Sports Nation, and as the former associate editor with College Sporting News.

We are just in the initial stages of developing the site, so pardon the way things look at the beginning. There will be plenty of developments in the future, including columns on other sports, such as college baseball, mid-major basketball and other things.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Here are a pair of early links to stories on the new site

Jamal Jackson's Big Decision by David Coulson
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/70-jamal-jacksons-big-decision

Projecting the FCS Playoff Field, Week 9 by Chuck Burton
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/69-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-9

Check back later today for articles about Georgia Southern's trip to Boone this weekend and a feature on Appalachian State quarterback-turned cornerback DeAndre Presley and important headlines from around FCS.

van
October 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Nice!

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Van. Please give us feedback on what types of things you would like to see on the new College Sports Journal website. We will be adding historical features, poll information, players of the week, etc. as we move along. I think people will be real interested in some of the historical stuff we will have on the site.

RichH2
October 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Nice site, nice to have you back C. The C & C boys. I'll have mine with a twist, if you please. Chuck has always been an excellent reporter of FCS scene and he certainly has his own distinctive viewpoint. It' going to be a fun read.

SideLine Shooter
October 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds good!!!

danefan
October 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Congrats and good luck guys.

National Players of the Week would be a good feature. It gives us all a chance to see a player that we otherwise might not.

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wow. Very interesting article on Jackson.

I certainly wouldn't hold it against him having thoughts about transferring last year. Doesn't seem like the best thing in the world to call up the coach that just whipped your team, though. Something about him talking to Talley about transferring Nova right after they beat us rubs me the wrong way.

asknoquarter21
October 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Nice article

I am surprised to hear about the transfer talk, but I really doubt he was seriously considering the transfer.

He had to know he was going to be the starter for two years at ASU and their wasn't much competition(at the time).

This seems a little bit to me like a parent wanting to see their child playing more and doing things to try to get that taken care of. Jamal calling coach Talley may have had a lot to do with his mom requesting it. The ASU coaches and JJ both denying the transfer talk almost reaffirms my suspision that he wasn't all too serious about it.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Nice article

I am surprised to hear about the transfer talk, but I really doubt he was seriously considering the transfer.

He had to know he was going to be the starter for two years at ASU and their wasn't much competition(at the time).

This seems a little bit to me like a parent wanting to see their child playing more and doing things to try to get that taken care of. Jamal calling coach Talley may have had a lot to do with his mom requesting it. The ASU coaches and JJ both denying the transfer talk almost reaffirms my suspision that he wasn't all too serious about it.

No one from ASU denied anything. They just didn't know he was considering it.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Sounds good!!!

We look forward to working with you Mr. Shooter. Talk to you more on Saturday at the Rock.

asknoquarter21
October 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
No one from ASU denied anything. They just didn't know he was considering it.

I must have misunderstood then.

It still sounds a lot more like his mom wanting him to transfer than him, but that is my opinion of course. Great work.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
The College Sports Journal doesn't only have Dave and Chuck's columns on there.

It is also the home to the FCS ScoreCenter, where you can get live scoring updates on all the FCS games in progress:

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/ScoresMenu.html

It also has the most up-to-date FCS standings (including Overall PF/PA and Conference PF/PA, which can be used in championship and autobid tiebreakers):

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/fcs-standings-2011

And conference schedules as well for every FCS conference (and independents):

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2011

Look for more FCS information soon - including links to NCAA statistics, future conference schedules, week-by-week schedules, and more!

veinup
October 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
wa griz on the front page? i'm on board.

Grizo406
October 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Great job, Mr. C!

Best of luck, and continued success with CSJ!!xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I hope that the College Sports Journal will recognize at least the existence of traditional northeastern private college athletics. Good luck with the new venture!

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I hope that the College Sports Journal will recognize at least the existence of traditional northeastern private college athletics. Good luck with the new venture!

Mr. Coulson and Mr. Burton (even if he is Lehigh scum) have always been friends of the Patriot League and other scholarship-deprived conferences/teams. Mr. Coulson even covered the PL basketball tournament championship game a couple of years back.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Wow, that looks great guys! Nice work!

Much success to ya fella's.xthumbsupx

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
wa griz on the front page? i'm on board.

A rather nice photo. We hope to show everyone some of the other great venues of FCS in the future.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, that looks great guys! Nice work!

Much success to ya fella's.xthumbsupx

As the Bartles and James guys used to say, we appreciate your support.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Great job, Mr. C!

Best of luck, and continued success with CSJ!!xthumbsupx

It wouldn't be the same if our buddy Grizzo wasn't on board.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Lehigh scum.

Now there's a sentiment I can appreciate. Carry on.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Now there's a sentiment I can appreciate. Carry on.

Just for you, Bogus (how am I going to explain this to Chuck?).