PDA

View Full Version : Asheville's Keith Jarrett: Is this the end of the ASU football dynasty?

Appaholic
October 27th, 2011, 08:47 AM
No. 1 Ga. Southern comes to Boone on Saturday

ASHEVILLE – Having the top-ranked FCS program in the country playing at Kidd Brewer Stadium is nothing new for Appalachian State football, which has spent 83 consecutive weeks in the Top 10, many of those as No. 1.

But it’s a new twist when the visiting team arrives as the best in the country, a rare event that happens Saturday when Georgia Southern comes to Boone for a 3 p.m. kickoff on ESPN3 and UNC-TV.

The Eagles (7-0, 5-0) vs. No. 5 ASU (5-2, 3-1) features two programs that have dominated Southern Conference football the past quarter-century, with a combined 19 regular-season championships in 25 years and nine national titles since 1985.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111027/SPORTS/310270048/College-football-picks-end-ASU-football-dynasty-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

jmu_duke07
October 27th, 2011, 09:08 AM
No. 1 Ga. Southern comes to Boone on Saturday

ASHEVILLE – Having the top-ranked FCS program in the country playing at Kidd Brewer Stadium is nothing new for Appalachian State football, which has spent 83 consecutive weeks in the Top 10, many of those as No. 1.

But it’s a new twist when the visiting team arrives as the best in the country, a rare event that happens Saturday when Georgia Southern comes to Boone for a 3 p.m. kickoff on ESPN3 and UNC-TV.

The Eagles (7-0, 5-0) vs. No. 5 ASU (5-2, 3-1) features two programs that have dominated Southern Conference football the past quarter-century, with a combined 19 regular-season championships in 25 years and nine national titles since 1985.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111027/SPORTS/310270048/College-football-picks-end-ASU-football-dynasty-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

It is easy to stay #1 when you suffer no injuries through a bushleague conference. Try playing in the CAA where gimmies are a pipe dream. ASU gets their @$$ pounded. Can you say... OVERRATED!

theasushow
October 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
" a loss would likely end the run of SOCON titles and endanger the streak of six straight seasons of postseason play"....a loss would hurt yes, (and would probably all but eliminate any chance of winning the SOCON) but to say a loss would endanger the chance of making the playoffs is just crazy...ASU would make the field at 8-3 and might even have a shot with a 7-4 record.

SpeedkingATL
October 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM
It is easy to stay #1 when you suffer no injuries through a bushleague conference. Try playing in the CAA where gimmies are a pipe dream. ASU gets their @$$ pounded. Can you say... OVERRATED!

Just check App's record against the mighty CAA...and that's only against playoff caliber teams.

theasushow
October 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Well ASU is 5-2 against the CAA in the playoffs the past 6 years (which would be the top caa teams)...I don't think they would dominate the CAA the way they did the SOCON, but would still have a few CAA titles.

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Haha, colonial is weak son, a bunch of slow white boys :)

jmu_duke07
October 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Haha, colonial is weak son, a bunch of slow white boys :)

Did you think that in 2004?

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Did you think that in 2004?

No JMU was decent that year, about the only good team you have ever had though.

jmu_duke07
October 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
No JMU was decent that year, about the only good team you have ever had though.

CAA will win the champ this year... take it to the bank.

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM
2004 JMU vs. FU boxscore:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=243390231

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Maybe, we will see soon enough :)

asumike83
October 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM

You do realize that 2 of our 3 National Championships came against CAA teams, right? We won those two games by a combined score of 77-38.

5-2 against CAA competition in the playoffs since 2005 and we also own the JMU head-to-head series 12-4.

theasushow
October 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
You do realize that 2 of our 3 National Championships came against CAA teams, right? We won those two games by a combined score of 77-38.

5-2 against CAA competition in the playoffs since 2005 and we also own the JMU head-to-head series 12-4.

No, he doesn't recognize that. ha

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Are you related to chattownmocs?

boonedocks
October 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM

boom.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Another Alexale-type. Trollin is fun, and I think it's hilarious. xlolx

ElonFirefighter
October 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Just because you have a "s" on the end of your name doesn't mean you’re the same caliber of the teams in that league. But you do have the same arrogance as the ACC. JMU is not fit to drink ASU shower water.

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Proud to be 1 of those 2 :)

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM

I'm proud that JMU is not 1 of those 2. :)

ElonFirefighter
October 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Is this JMU's Bank were taking it too. Looks like it's been closed for a long timexchinscratchx

http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasPanhandleTowns/RobertLeeTexas/RobertLeeTxClosedBank1209BG.jpg

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM

With the somewhat topsy turvy nature of the CAA this, that is with Towson and Maine surging again, Nova and Richmond hurting, and W&M and UDel stumbling somewhat, I would not say that the CAA is gauntlet it was a year or two ago. Like in 2009 when Nova, W&M, Richmond, and UNH were all with in the top 7.

Maybe I'm just desensitized to how good the rest of the CAA is this year because we are so bad, and maybe its because power coming from different places then I'm used too, but I wouldn't say the CCA is any better than the SOCON. The SOCON appears to beating up on eachother just as much as the CAA is doing. Look at Chattanooga, they are the prime example. They are a good team, most likely playoff caliber. They play their way out of games against APP and the Citadel and lose by 1 at GSU. This is the same Chattanooga team that pounded Jacksonville State. The SOCON seems to have no gimmies except maybe WCU. This year Nova is the WCU of the CAA and in the past it has been Towson.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Chattanooga can play with anyone in the country. They are not only the best 4-4 team in the SOCON, they are the best 4-4 team in FCS and in a long time in FCS football.

jmu_duke07
October 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I do NOT believe SOCON is that good this year... If anything they are average. Appy is WAY WAY overrated. Wofford has a stubborn offense after about 3-4 games can easily be figured out. GaSouthern is good but they haven't played their "tougher" opponents yet. Many look down on the CAA because it's been flipped, however, top to bottom, the CAA could go 9-0 against the SOCON and that wouldn't be surprising. Like I said before, it's easy to go through the playoffs when you can coast through a cupcake conference. Sorry, but we actually have to play EVERY week instead of scrimmaging D2 caliber teams during the regular season.

HailSzczur
Chattanooga can play with anyone in the country. They are not only the best 4-4 team in the SOCON, they are the best 4-4 team in FCS and in a long time in FCS football.

My point exactly. Their 4-3 record in FCS play is misleading because they are the victim of a good conference beating the hell out of each other. As a Nova fan I'm used to seeing this happen with both CAA football and BE basketball

ASUG8

Well you're one of two 4-4 teams in the SoCon, so I'll concede that you're the best of that group. Moral victories don't get you in the playoffs. Either way, you'll be watching other teams in December.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Well you're one of two 4-4 teams in the SoCon, so I'll concede that you're the best of that group. Moral victories don't get you in the playoffs. Either way, you'll be watching other teams in December.

No actually they wont be.

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I do NOT believe SOCON is that good this year... If anything they are average. Appy is WAY WAY overrated. Wofford has a stubborn offense after about 3-4 games can easily be figured out. GaSouthern is good but they haven't played their "tougher" opponents yet. Many look down on the CAA because it's been flipped, however, top to bottom, the CAA could go 9-0 against the SOCON and that wouldn't be surprising. Like I said before, it's easy to go through the playoffs when you can coast through a cupcake conference. Sorry, but we actually have to play EVERY week instead of scrimmaging D2 caliber teams during the regular season.

Your just blowing smoke up your own rear dude :)

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 01:04 PM

After Saturday you guys might be the best 4-5 team in the country :)

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM
After Saturday you guys might be the best 4-5 team in the country :)

Could happen, but I doubt it.

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Chattownmocs brother?

theasushow
October 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM
UTC is going to go down as the best 4-7 team in the history of college football.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
UTC is going to go down as the best 4-7 team in the history of college football.

Hey! Cool story bro!

asumike83
October 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Like I said before, it's easy to go through the playoffs when you can coast through a cupcake conference. Sorry, but we actually have to play EVERY week instead of scrimmaging D2 caliber teams during the regular season.

So, let me get this straight: playing in a horrible conference like the SoCon made it easier for us to beat the almighty CAA when it counts?

ASUG8
October 27th, 2011, 02:05 PM
So, let me get this straight: playing in a horrible conference like the SoCon made it easier for us to beat the almighty CAA when it counts?

We were well rested going into the playoffs, I guess.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM

How many yards rushing did Wofford have against you in 2008 xcoffeex heck, how many TOTAL yards did they have. I'd bet no less than 400. I hope you're trolling, but the Socon is head and shoulders higher than the CAA.

eaglemachine
October 27th, 2011, 02:11 PM

You do realize that GSU and Wofford run a variation of the same offense: The Triple Option.

Teams have been trying to "figure out" GSU's offense for years...I will let 6 championships speak for itself.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
JMU couldn't stop Wofford's offense
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283340256

a good spot saved them in that game

blueballs
October 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM

GSU was 4-4 last year and turned that 4-4 into 10-5 and a semifinal run in the playoffs. Unless Chatty equals or surpasses it- which would mean playing in Frisco in January- GSU 2010 is the best 4-4 team EVER in FCS.

blueballs
October 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
A quick tabulation shows that GSU is 17-7 all-time against the A-10/CAA...

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2011, 03:18 PM

And the hits keep on coming...good work Chattown Jr. I like it.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2011, 03:29 PM
GSU was 4-4 last year and turned that 4-4 into 10-5 and a semifinal run in the playoffs. Unless Chatty equals or surpasses it- which would mean playing in Frisco in January- GSU 2010 is the best 4-4 team EVER in FCS.

Yeah, highly possible.

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 04:15 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm

SoCon: 12
CAA: 14

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Wow, and by 4.71. Guess this is a down year for the CAA

boonegoon
October 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Not to give credence to the troll that started this but, I think it would be cool if the conferences would schedule other conferences every year. For example, the CAA and the SOCON play a home and home over two years. Kind of like the Big Ten ACC challenge. Use the conference standing to set the field.

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM

SoCon only 1 point behind WAC and MAC, and since I-A independents is not really a conference, given a good week this week for the league it could potentially be rated as the 9th best conference in all of College football after this week.

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM

A hierarchy is a hierarchy and Nova becoming the Western Carolina of the CAA is a big reason why. Face it, you've been usurped. And it's not like you were head and shoulders above the SoCon anyway. The difference now is roughly the same as is has been in recent years, only reversed. Get over Yosef. There's always BBALL season champ.

T-Dog
October 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Damn you Szczur!

And amazingly enough, the other is Maine. xscanx xcrazyx

JMU couldn't stop Wofford's offense
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283340256

a good spot saved them in that game

I still remember that. A very generous spot indeed.

Dignan
October 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Let's be serious here. The SOCON's good. The CAA's good too. We can both be good, it's allowed.

App State is very good, and has been for quite a few years. And to respond to the initial premise of this thread, I don't know why GaSo being #1 this year means that ASU is no longer a dynasty. It's not like GaSo and ASU being top teams is mutually exclusive.

Also, don't generalize JMU or any other school just because of what one person says. I don't think think the comments from the one JMU fan in this thread are particularly indicative of the opinions of JMU fans in general.

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Let's be serious here. The SOCON's good. The CAA's good too. We can both be good, it's allowed.

App State is very good, and has been for quite a few years. And to respond to the initial premise of this thread, I don't know why GaSo being #1 this year means that ASU is no longer a dynasty. It's not like GaSo and ASU being top teams is mutually exclusive.

Also, don't generalize JMU or any other school just because of what one person says. I don't think think the comments from the one JMU fan in this thread are particularly indicative of the opinions of JMU fans in general.

Thanks for the warm and fuzzies. And well written too