PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette vs Delaware, mid-2010s?

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Lafayette fans have a very strong reason to believe that a series was scheduled with Delaware.... two games in Newark and one in Easton, through 2014-2016. We currently have ten games on our 2014 schedule with an open date in week one and November 16.

Didn't the Delaware fans see it in a newspaper and/or have heard about it on their end?

Do you think this series would generate some interest and excitement in your fan base? Especially if we are a scholarship program by then?

We have already scheduled William and Mary for 2012, 2013.

RichH2
October 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Nice schedule upgrades. Do hope your Admin doesn't sabotage it byslowing down $$$ even more.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Nice schedule upgrades. Do hope your Admin doesn't sabotage it byslowing down $$$ even more.

It will probably be resolved by 2013. Our Morning Crawl writer says something even might happen this December.

RichH2
October 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
That would be great P4L Wish we knew half as much about LU future schedules

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
That would be great P4L Wish we knew half as much about LU future schedules

Just to clarify, I was referring to the schollies... LU will have them too by that point.

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Just to clarify, I was referring to the schollies... LU will have them too by that point.

Do you know something we as fans don't? (And will you still be allowing Georgetown in the league by then?)

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Lafayette fans have a very strong reason to believe that a series was scheduled with Delaware.... two games in Newark and one in Easton, through 2014-2016. We currently have ten games on our 2014 schedule with an open date in week one and November 16.

Didn't the Delaware fans see it in a newspaper and/or have heard about it on their end?

Do you think this series would generate some interest and excitement in your fan base? Especially if we are a scholarship program by then?

We have already scheduled William and Mary for 2012, 2013.

We've heard rumblings about it maybe a year or so ago, but like this...it came from Lafayette sources, all quiet in Newark on the schedule front.

We're supposed to be hosting Bucknell next year and that went over like a dud with UD fans. The majority of UD fans don't really have much interest in PL or NEC opponents. Lehigh creates some of a buzz still because of their history with UD but honestly not much of one except with the older crowd. I will say Lehigh probably brings more fans to Newark than any of the CAA teams have.

I'd congratulate you if the format is true, UD hasn't played a non-conference FCS OOC on the road since Furman last decade. Maybe they figured this was close enough for Hens fans to travel en masse?

RichH2
October 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Do you know something we as fans don't? (And will you still be allowing Georgetown in the league by then?)

He isreferringtoBlog in local paper which strongly hintedthat the scholarship votewouldbe in favor and done this Dec as opposed to dec 2013

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Well the Hens will be getting rid of West Chester soon, and it will be hard for them to find FCS OOC games if they insist they are always in Newark. You can get a team to do it once, but not year after year like WCU.

Go...gate
October 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Based on Georgetown's present success, it is clear that they (along with Villanova and Fordham) will all be playing in the Big East by then.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Well the Hens will be getting rid of West Chester soon, and it will be hard for them to find FCS OOC games if they insist they are always in Newark. You can get a team to do it once, but not year after year like WCU.

Next September, 2012, is the final game of the West Chester series.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM
16212....FO' FRANKS TANKS POST#9....AH'M GUESSIN'.....NO TROUBLE GETTIN' OOC'S..TA VISIT....ALBANY'S BEEN HERE TWICE.....BUCKNELL'S COMIN'......AS LONG AS DUH DELAWARE FAN-BASE...DOESN'T UNRAVEL....TA FEES/TICKETS/PARKIN' COSTS....DUH GEEZERS KEEP KICKIN'.....AN' STADIUM MOST-LAH FULL......xnodx...AWQ!

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
16212....FO' FRANKS TANKS POST#9....AH'M GUESSIN'.....NO TROUBLE GETTIN' OOC'S..TA VISIT....ALBANY'S BEEN HERE TWICE.....BUCKNELL'S COMIN'......AS LONG AS DUH DELAWARE FAN-BASE...DOESN'T UNRAVEL....TA FEES/TICKETS/PARKIN' COSTS....DUH GEEZERS KEEP KICKIN'.....AN' STADIUM MOST-LAH FULL......xnodx...AWQ!

I agree a team will come once, maybe even a few times over a period of years, but nobody will come to Newark year after year like WCU without a return game. Even if it is a 3 to 1 ratio, the Hens may need to play some FCS OOC games on the road.

superman7515
October 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM
http://images.buyitsellit.com/2807537.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Lafayette and Delaware played home-and-home yearly between 1949 and 1972. Since then, they've met only once, in the 2004 playoffs.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
He isreferringtoBlog in local paper which strongly hintedthat the scholarship votewouldbe in favor and done this Dec as opposed to dec 2013

Right... actually the decision was tabled until December 2012, and the Pards writer Paul Reinhart has a feeling that something will happen this December... what the something is, who knows. We can infer though that Lehigh and Colgate were ready to award them last year... posters on the Lafayette board have information that scholarships will get done and funding is lined up; women's sports is just an issue as is timing. It will be resolved in the PL by 2013.

Either way we need to have scholarships to face Delaware three years in a row, with a legit shot at winning each game. They are perennial title contenders. You could even argue that a scholarship Lafayette could be stronger than Delaware if we have the same academic standards.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I agree a team will come once, maybe even a few times over a period of years, but nobody will come to Newark year after year like WCU without a return game. Even if it is a 3 to 1 ratio, the Hens may need to play some FCS OOC games on the road.

That's why our record vs. Penn is so bad... we played at Franklin for 80 years without a return game. A program of Delaware's caliber should not be playing West Chester, especially if we rail on San Diego for playing Azusza Pacific each year.

carney2
October 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Sabotage? I think not. The only sabotage that the Lafayette administration fears is the introduction of intellectual diversity.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
We've heard rumblings about it maybe a year or so ago, but like this...it came from Lafayette sources, all quiet in Newark on the schedule front.

We're supposed to be hosting Bucknell next year and that went over like a dud with UD fans. The majority of UD fans don't really have much interest in PL or NEC opponents. Lehigh creates some of a buzz still because of their history with UD but honestly not much of one except with the older crowd. I will say Lehigh probably brings more fans to Newark than any of the CAA teams have.

I'd congratulate you if the format is true, UD hasn't played a non-conference FCS OOC on the road since Furman last decade. Maybe they figured this was close enough for Hens fans to travel en masse?

Wow... that would be interesting. I know I heard it from a source that is nearly as reliable as you can get, but I really thought the UD fans saw something about it as well.

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM
We can infer though that Lehigh and Colgate were ready to award them last year... posters on the Lafayette board have information that scholarships will get done and funding is lined up; women's sports is just an issue as is timing. It will be resolved in the PL by 2013.

By how many teams? I can't imagine all these schools are all ramping up to hit the recruiting trail of 2012 with grants in hand. I'll tell you one that won't have (m)any.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
WHAT AH'M TRYIN' TA SAY....IS...DAT DELAWARE DOESN'T NEED...ANY ONE SQWAD.... TA COMMIT TA...OOC....DELAWARE HOMERS....FO'EVERAH.....'NUFF NEC'S...ETC....TA SUPPLY...UH STEADY STREAM...WHO WOOD COME TA NEWARK...FO' DUCATS....&...DUH DREAM O' UPSET..FAME.....LONG AS OURAH....PHAN BASE KEEPS IT TA-GETHERAH.....AWK!

Doc QB
October 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Either way we need to have scholarships to face Delaware three years in a row, with a legit shot at winning each game. They are perennial title contenders. You could even argue that a scholarship Lafayette could be stronger than Delaware if we have the same academic standards.

While I am a huge proponent of a full scholarship PL, our goals need be realistic, and that we should only argue that we could continue to build each program to compete nationally and aspire to a level currently enjoyed in Newark. Being stonger out of the gate with just a few classes of full scholarship athletes is not going to happen. That level is still about building depth and using those athletes well with excellent coaching.

It obviously has not changed Fordham's fortunes very positively (yet), correct?

henfan
October 27th, 2011, 08:12 AM

It's never been hard to entice cash-strapped FCS programs to visit the Tub. Money talks.

DSU is hooked up for several games and there always seems to be a steady supply of teams willing to travel to Newark return free. That doesn't preclude UD from doing a 2-for-1 here and there but I don't think you'll see a lot of that in the immediate future, especially with Navy & Pitt already on the books.

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I thought there was talk of that 2013 Navy game being scrapped.....

Pard4Life
October 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
While I am a huge proponent of a full scholarship PL, our goals need be realistic, and that we should only argue that we could continue to build each program to compete nationally and aspire to a level currently enjoyed in Newark. Being stonger out of the gate with just a few classes of full scholarship athletes is not going to happen. That level is still about building depth and using those athletes well with excellent coaching.

It obviously has not changed Fordham's fortunes very positively (yet), correct?

Right, I agree that we are not going to have three PL teams in the top ten right away, but scholarship players could have an impact right away. Depth is a major issue for LC and we have seen what has happened when even a few equivalencies are cut. But if you have a Lehigh team that is as strong as it is now, or LC or HC in 2009, and you add a scholarship player who may have chosen Navy or Delaware instead, he could make a major impact right away or as a soph. At this level and this league, it could be significant. Coaching is a major issue, like Fordham, but I think LU, LC, HC, and CU are going to really benefit immeadiately with depth and skill. They are the most stable and core four teams. BU will still have to build their program, as will Gtown.

van
October 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Right, I agree that we are not going to have three PL teams in the top ten right away, but scholarship players could have an impact right away. Depth is a major issue for LC and we have seen what has happened when even a few equivalencies are cut. But if you have a Lehigh team that is as strong as it is now, or LC or HC in 2009, and you add a scholarship player who may have chosen Navy or Delaware instead, he could make a major impact right away or as a soph. At this level and this league, it could be significant. Coaching is a major issue, like Fordham, but I think LU, LC, HC, and CU are going to really benefit immeadiately with depth and skill. They are the most stable and core four teams. BU will still have to build their program, as will Gtown.

Agree with the premise, but the real target should be those top talented guys that chose and Ivy over a PL. That's where schollies would help the most.

crusader11
October 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM
The majority of UD fans don't really have much interest in PL or NEC opponents.

I can understand why this is the case...but I do recall Holy Cross giving UD all they could handle several years ago down in Newark.

Pard4Life
October 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Agree with the premise, but the real target should be those top talented guys that chose and Ivy over a PL. That's where schollies would help the most.

Right... we still can't compete on brand name and their aid policies gaurantee free rides or nearly free for many of them, but we will definetely snag some of them instead of zero right now.

RichH2
October 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Right... we still can't compete on brand name and their aid policies gaurantee free rides or nearly free for many of them, but we will definetely snag some of them instead of zero right now.

Agree they would be a bonus. The brand name however will still guarantee more IL gets than PL. The main area formost recruits will be the same as now ,I expect we will improvemarkedly with the non IL kids. Fordham'sexperience with schollies is deceptive. true that merit aid is not a magic wand. It will benefit PL overall more IMHO to differentiate us from IL. Also,Fordham'sreal issue is inconsistent coaching and poor recruit selection. by that I mean chasing kids who get schollies from BCS teams. FU has taken a shotgun approach across the country.I think staff was more impressed with their new schollies and thought the rest of the world would be also. Not so much. They have brought in some very talented recruits but their classes overalldo not match Gate, lehigh or Lafayette for quality and those classes must improve to better PL competitiveness nationally

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
FAR MO' INTERESTIN'...OOC'S.....ALBANY/DUQUESNE....HOLY COW/LAUGH-FAYETTE.........DEN WEST CHESTER.....GUARANTEED.....SPECIALLY WHEN ALBANY...CLEANED US OUT ONCE....AWK!

WHAA?......WE'RE SUPPOSED TA PLAY MONTANA/APPALACHIAN/GA.SO.......ON TOPPAH OURAH KILLER CAA.......BRAWK!

Doc QB
October 27th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Depth is a major issue for LC and we have seen what has happened when even a few equivalencies are cut. But if you have a Lehigh team that is as strong as it is now, or LC or HC in 2009, and you add a scholarship player who may have chosen Navy or Delaware instead, he could make a major impact right away or as a soph. At this level and this league, it could be significant.

Well stated, agree totally. Depth is critical. And it is that special player (or two or three) that has separated PL teams intra-conference, and made them competitive when reaching the playoffs. You can name each of them from the PL title teams each year. LU has three on the "O" this year for sure. Get a few more of them on the roster, and who knows, the playoffs get even more exciting for us.

Doc QB
October 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Kinda have to disagree...we beat the Ivies. Their difference makers should not be our targets, it should be the CAA, Southern, second choice Big Least schools wish list athletes with the grades to get it done with the books.

RichH2
October 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Kinda have to disagree...we beat the Ivies. Their difference makers should not be our targets, it should be the CAA, Southern, second choice Big Least schools wish list athletes with the grades to get it done with the books.

Those are the kids that will lift programs. LU lucky tohave 3 diference makers on O and 2 on D plus a solid basis of good players. just imagine if you could add 2 or 3 more. Wow.
Caveat ,of course is coaching and recruit selection. Even with merit aid tough to compete at top 20 level year in and year out we are still a small school with highest admission requirements.

HensRock
October 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Depth is a pretty major issue at just about all FCS programs.

I think a series with LC would be great. They brought quite a few fans to Newark in our playoff game in 2004.

Pard4Life
October 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Depth is a pretty major issue at just about all FCS programs.

I think a series with LC would be great. They brought quite a few fans to Newark in our playoff game in 2004.

Yes we did... and it was a holiday weekend too.

We always bring a lot of fans to the Penn game at Franklin and we have many living in the Delaware Valley... which is why I think it would be mutually beneficial for both schools to have some relevant alumni rooting interest in the area (aside from the Villanova game for UD fans)... Lehigh is an ideal fit too.

With scholarships, this won't be a reach game like it used to be, and is likely a reason why we avoided the Hens on the schedule for 40 years.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Yes we did... and it was a holiday weekend too.

We always bring a lot of fans to the Penn game at Franklin and we have many living in the Delaware Valley... which is why I think it would be mutually beneficial for both schools to have some relevant alumni rooting interest in the area (aside from the Villanova game for UD fans)... Lehigh is an ideal fit too.

With scholarships, this won't be a reach game like it used to be, and is likely a reason why we avoided the Hens on the schedule for 40 years.

I remember plenty of UD fans getting excited about games against Lehigh as recently as ten years ago when I was a student, and not just the old timers either. Lehigh and UD had a fairly bitter rivalry back in the day, so I don't know if the prospect of playing Lafayette will get the fans as riled up, but it could develop. I'm all for playing more regional FCS teams OOC, and with so much of the UD student body coming from eastern PA Lehigh and Lafayette both make great options.

Doc QB
October 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Pard4Life;1707520] We always bring a lot of fans to the Penn game at Franklin and we have many living in the Delaware Valley... which is why I think it would be mutually beneficial for both schools to have some relevant alumni rooting interest in the area (aside from the Villanova game for UD fans)... Lehigh is an ideal fit too.[QUOTE]

I would LU's OOC sched to have some combination of 'Nova, UD, UPenn each year...they are close, fans can get there for games, and building regional rivalry amongst those three would be very fun. Good alumni base all around those sites, could easily catch away games there. I think it would appeal to recruits from Eastern PA, South Jersey, Philly, Wilmington areas as well, playing around friends and family with some OOC match ups. Some may say is is too vanilla to keep the travel distances so close, but who cares? We'd still have room for one or two home/home series with a more distant school.

RichH2
October 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
well doc, being an old timer I would love to see home and homes with all 3 perhaps alternating. Given history Penn series does not seem likely to resume any time soon. It would be nice to get Woffrd or Elon, Citadel on some kind of regular basis