PDA

View Full Version : The first domino to fall?

The Cats
October 24th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Chip Smith fired as AD at WCU.

WCU Chancellor Announces Change in Leadership of Athletics Department

Western Carolina University Chancellor David O. Belcher announced today (Monday, Oct. 24) that C. Joseph "Chip" Smith will no longer serve as WCU's director of intercollegiate athletics effective Tuesday, Oct. 25.

"I want to thank Chip for his hard work on behalf of Catamount student-athletes since he came to WCU in September 2004," Belcher said. "The athletics program has achieved some significant accomplishments over the past seven years, both on the fields and courts of play and in the classroom. Nevertheless, upon careful consideration, I have reached the conclusion that a change in leadership is needed at this time."

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

james_lawfirm
October 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Chip Smith fired as AD at WCU.

WCU Chancellor Announces Change in Leadership of Athletics Department

Western Carolina University Chancellor David O. Belcher announced today (Monday, Oct. 24) that C. Joseph "Chip" Smith will no longer serve as WCU's director of intercollegiate athletics effective Tuesday, Oct. 25.

"I want to thank Chip for his hard work on behalf of Catamount student-athletes since he came to WCU in September 2004," Belcher said. "The athletics program has achieved some significant accomplishments over the past seven years, both on the fields and courts of play and in the classroom. Nevertheless, upon careful consideration, I have reached the conclusion that a change in leadership is needed at this time."

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

With all due respect to WCU, I say it's about time. You fellers have suffered from inept administrative support for a long time (like 20 years). My sons, ages 16 & 18, are not old enough to recall a good WCU team. I just hope your Chancellor/President guy makes the right decisions so that WCU can once again field teams that compete. I'm not sure the firings are complete up there before improvements are seen.

Good luck! It's been tough having a rival that we beat every year (well, except for when Brad Hoover ran for 200+ yds. in the "Whee that year.)

Appaholic
October 25th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Football coach Wagner expected to follow Smith out the door

It’s a start.

Phase 1 of Western Carolina’s process of attempting attempt to clean up its football mess was implemented Monday with the firing of athletic director Chip Smith.

New chancellor David O. Belcher moved quickly and decisively in removing the guy who cost the university what will end up being more than $600,000 in salaries paid to football coaches not to coach.

WCU had to eat $220,000 in the 2008 and ’09 seasons when Smith fired football coach Kent Briggs in 2007, 15 months after giving him a three-year contract extension.

And the Cats will be saddled with a $390,000 payoff for another bad hire and unwarranted extension when they divorce current football coach Dennis Wagner, an event expected to happen within three to four weeks.

Letting Smith go immediately, with eight months left on a contract that pays $138,982 annually, sends the message to frustrated alumni and potential recruits that Belcher is paying attention to angry e-mails and isn’t accepting the status quo of a football program as bad any any FCS team in the country.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111025/COLUMNISTS12/310250018/Catamounts-begin-rebuilding-process-by-firing-AD?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

Apphole
October 25th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Now all they have to do is fire the coaching staff, expel all the students, fire the Chancellor and all teachers, level the University, rename the school, change the mascot and rebuild somewhere else. That's the only way they're turning that place around.

Appaholic
October 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
With all due respect to WCU, I say it's about time. You fellers have suffered from inept administrative support for a long time (like 20 years). My sons, ages 16 & 18, are not old enough to recall a good WCU team. I just hope your Chancellor/President guy makes the right decisions so that WCU can once again field teams that compete. I'm not sure the firings are complete up there before improvements are seen.

Good luck! It's been tough having a rival that we beat every year (well, except for when Brad Hoover ran for 200+ yds. in the "Whee that year.)

Agree. I know The Cats & CMan think I hate WCU and revel in this situation. I don't....I hate incompetence and WCU admin has been poster child in recent years. SoCon football is a better product with a good WCU football program. It has a rich history with success and produced NFL-caliber players. This is a step in the right direction and I welcome an improved WCU in the coming years (hope i don't regret those statements). Good job, Belcher!

CharlotteApp
October 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Now all they have to do is fire the coaching staff, expel all the students, fire the Chancellor and all teachers, level the University, rename the school, change the mascot and rebuild somewhere else. That's the only way they're turning that place around.

Now that is funny right there.... I don't care who your are!

Smitty
October 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I think it has been long overdue. The AD should be responsible for results of all the athletic teams, if he does not hire a good coach it should be on him. This is definitely a start and hopefully they find a AD that will actually lead each team.

asknoquarter21
October 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
The Chancellor called members of the booster club yesterday morning before the decision was announced.

A meeting between Smith and Wagner shortly after apparently happened with Smith telling Wagner to prepare for the same. It is happening, just give it the end of the season.

appfan2008
October 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
This needed to happen a long time ago... sad down there in the sw mountains...