PDA

View Full Version : Conference Previews...

Pard4Life
May 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Well spring ball is over with... I guess we all have a pretty good idea how each team will look once summer practice starts.

That being said, anybody willing to post some conference previews and predicted order of finishes? The more conference posts, the better of an idea we will all have on how I-AA looks this fall.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Well spring ball is over with... I guess we all have a pretty good idea how each team will look once summer practice starts.

Up in the North Country Spring Ball is still ongoing! UNH and IIRC Maine have their Spring Game this coming Saturday (May 6th)!! How about the other frozen tundra schools? Has Colgate finished yet?

Pard4Life
May 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Up in the North Country Spring Ball is still ongoing! UNH and IIRC Maine have their Spring Game this coming Saturday (May 6th)!! How about the other frozen tundra schools? Has Colgate finished yet?

Sorry UNH Alum.. forgot spring is later up there. On that note Colgate just combines spring and summer ball.. the non-winter seasons move too quickly. ;)

TheValleyRaider
May 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Sorry UNH Alum.. forgot spring is later up there. On that note Colgate just combines spring and summer ball.. the non-winter seasons move too quickly. ;)

What is this "sum-mer" of which you speak?

RabidRabbit
May 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
:) There was a young man about to get married the next day, who got cornered by his father-in-law-to-be, who then asks, well son! are you going to be a man and do it tonite? Or be a mouse and wait til after the ceremony?

The young man was soooo nervous, he gushes, Well, sir, I guess I'm rat, because we did that last nite!xlolx xlolx

So, us GWFC rats have been working this thru at

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9558

Long train of thought there!

Back to :read:

Umass74
May 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM

UMass plays its Spring Game this Saturday, May 6th.

Old joke about northern New England: Ten months of winter---- and two months of wicked poor skiing.

colgate13
May 2nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Colgate finished two weekends ago. And we're going to win the Patriot League by virtue of... how many in a row my Pard brethern? :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
My prediction is based on the fact that streaks will end. I think Colgate will get by Lehigh. I just can't see Lehigh beating Colgate 3 years in a row, just like in 2004 i couldn't see Colgate winning 3 straight in the series. With that said Lehigh beats Lafayette. I just can't see Lafayette beating Lehigh 3 years in a row, especially since Lafayette's favorite son is now at Elon. I think Lafayette finally gets over the hump and beats Colgate. The rest of the league i think will be hurting. HC will take a considerable step back and Bucknell, Fordham and Georgetown will have to progress leaps and bounds from last year to challenge any of the top 3.
1. Lehigh 10-1 (5-1), if they split with Colgate and Lafayette they have a good chance of winning the rest of their games. Villanova has been '"ehh" at best and should be no better or maybe worse then UD last year. Umass should be a tougher game for Colgate. These are the type of games Cohen is suppose to make the difference in. He has come very close the last couple of years at Penn at beating the wildcats and Lehigh the last couple years has had considerably better teams than Penn. The rest of the nonleague games they should be considerable favorites, even Harvard. Not that i think they're a Top 10 Nationally in the pre-season but their schedule sets up better than everyone else IMO, thus the 10-1 record. If Lehigh and Colgate switched schedules i'd switch the record as well.
2. Colgate 9-2 (5-1), My guess is the beat Lehigh and lose to Umass and Lafayette. I think the 'Pards will get over the hump this year. Colgate should run the rest of their non-league schedule, no Dartmouths or CCSU games this year.
3. Lafayette 8-3 (5-1) My guess is the 'Pards lose to either Princeton or Harvard in Cambridge and Penn at home. They've struggles in OOC games and have really struggled against Penn and Princeton. I've give them breaking the Colgate jinx, in Hamilton non the less, but also beating Penn and Princeton will be real tough and Harvard given Lafayettes recent trends.
4. Fordham 6-5 (3-3), Can;t get much worse and i can't believe Clawson left the cupboard this bare. I'll say they're the suprise team.
5. Holy Cross 5-6 (2-4) They lose just about everything and a winning record would be quite the accomplishment.
6. Bucknell 4-7 (1-4) Still have a long way to go.
7. Georgetown 3-8 (0-5)

cosmo here
May 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
1. Lehigh 10-1 (6-1)
7. Georgetown 3-8 (0-5)

Wow, Lehigh's good enough to play seven games in a seven team league, and Georgetown's so bad they'll only show up for five xlolx

Overall, the predicted order of finish seems about right. What happens in that tiebreaker then ? Does it come down to the AGS poll ranking ?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Wow, Lehigh's good enough to play seven games in a seven team league, and Georgetown's so bad they'll only show up for five xlolx

Overall, the predicted order of finish seems about right. What happens in that tiebreaker then ? Does it come down to the AGS poll ranking ?

Yeah i screwed up, i had everyone playing 7 league games. I kept trying to figure out the records if LU, LC and CU all went undefeated against everyone else.

blur2005
May 2nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but the tie-breaker would obviously be the head to head matchup, which would give the title to Colgate (in Go Lehigh TU owl's prediction), unless the Patriot Leage does something different from the rest of the conferences.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but the tie-breaker would obviously be the head to head matchup, which would give the title to Colgate (in Go Lehigh TU owl's prediction), unless the Patriot Leage does something different from the rest of the conferences.

I think it would go to Lehigh since they have the better overall record and they've "gone the longest without the auto bid". But in the end it wouldn't matter, as both would be going.

The Gadfly
May 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
With no reasoning at all, because one does not need it this early, my Big South picks are:

1 - Liberty

2 - Gardner Webb & Coastal Carolina

4 - Charleston Southern

5 - VMI

cosmo here
May 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM

In that scenario, Lafayette, Lehigh and Colgate would all have wins against each other (all three at 5-1). I know this almost happened a couple years ago but Colgate lost at Bucknell ( :confused: ) . . but I can't remember how that would have broken down with the tiebreakers.

cosmo here
May 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
page 90 of the Patriot League manual has the football tiebreaker . . after comparing head-to-head records and records against the rest of the league, it goes to common out-of-league opponents for all three teams. Are there any this year ? Lafayette's are Sacred Heart, Penn, Princeton, Yale and Harvard. Then it goes to a committee that will consider strength of schedule, overall record and computer rankings to award the automatic bid.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/policy-manual.pdf

Yes, I was being facetious with the AGS poll. Although that might be useful for the committee if it gets there. After all, it's only May 2.

Sly Fox
May 2nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
With no reasoning at all, because one does not need it this early, my Big South picks are:

1 - Liberty

4 - Charleston Southern

5 - VMI

I agree. :smiley_wi

mainejeff
May 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
This year in Northern New England winter actually ended and spring actually started on time.

Atlantic 10: The Swan Song:

North:

1. UMass
2. Maine
3. UNH
4. Hofstra
5. URI
6. Northeastern

South:

1. Delaware
2. Richmond
3. JMU
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. Villanova

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM

1 - Liberty

4 - Charleston Southern

5 - VMI

are you drunk?

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
My predicted order of finish for the SLC

1) McNeese - Always dangerous and should be back in the hunt again. I think at the end of last year, lots of people were pointing to the return of the Pokes this coming year.

2) Northwestern St - They seem to play 2nd fiddle and lose a game that looks easy, but ends up not being the case.

3) SHSU - Not much lost from a team that took I-AA semifinalist Texas St to overtime. Home schedule is favorable with McN, TXST and Nicholls at home. I think HC is going to stick with one QB which will solve alot. A healthy OOC can lead to a solid SLC slate.

4) Texas St - Lost a lot including Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans, two players capable of making to the NFL. Lots of great talent, but we haven't seen or gotten familiar with these faces. Easy OOC schedule, have the tough roadies this year after easy trips last year.

5) SELA - Very dangerous team that can beat anyone, but I think they're still trying to find their way to the next level

6) Nicholls - This is a team that can be a sleeper any given year. That triple option provides headaches. We'll see what Nicholls does without their star QB from last year. If the new QB steps up, Nicholls may just stick around the upper echelon of the conference.

7) SFA - They're a lost one. Haven't done nothing under the new HC and they got spanked several times last year. Southall takes the reigns at the QB position full-time this year.

blukeys
May 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
This year in Northern New England winter actually ended and spring actually started on time.

North:

1. UMass
2. Maine
3. UNH
4. Hofstra
5. URI
6. Northeastern

South:

1. Delaware
2. Richmond
3. JMU
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. Villanova

Interesting, I agree with Nova in the South. I think Richmond is a little high and the other 4 teams could be in any order. (Laycock can always produce miracles). My choice for #1 would be JMU.

In the North I agree that Umass will be a force but why is UNH 3rd? I see the North as Umass and UNH with all the others being a close 3rd.

Close games will decide the order of both divisions.

Predicting the A-10 is as risky as predicting an early spring in New England. :nod: :nod: :D

carney2
May 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
Patriot League:

1 Colgate - 9-2 in the regular season with losses to UMass and a resurgent Cornell. Ousted in the first round of the playoffs after putting on a better show than in their last two playoff appearances.

2 Lafayette - Enters the Lehigh game at the same-old, same-old 7-3, with losses to Penn, Harvard and Colgate.

2a Lehigh - Makes it to the final game with an 8-2 record. Losses are to Harvard and Colgate.

Lafayette beats Lehigh - again. (Like you expected me to say something different.) Neither team gets a playoff bid

4 Bucknell - Will be better than anyone at this site expects.

5 Fordham - Cannot possibly be as bad as last year.

6/7 Holy Cross and Georgetown - Both desperately need someone to yell "Clear!" as those emergency room heart starting paddles are applied.

I want some of what mainejeff is smokin': Maine to finish ahead of UNH and a Tutt-less Richmond beating out JMU! On the back side of that sheet he has Elon winning the SoCon.

youwouldno
May 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
The SLC looks like the most balanced conference, just glancing over the above prediction. None of the teams stick out. Probably none of them are serious title contenders, either.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 3rd, 2006, 12:26 AM
The SLC looks like the most balanced conference, just glancing over the above prediction. None of the teams stick out. Probably none of them are serious title contenders, either.

agreed. anyone can win the conference. here's my guess at it.

1) SELA--so much talent it's scary. not a sleeper in my book--definite SLC title contender (given they escape their TOUGH OOC unscathed...)
2a) TxSt--switched emphasis on running game with a LOADED backfield..."winnable" OOC schedule and proved they could win on the road.
2b) SHSU--have their youngins back. coach will lose some key games for them.
2c) NwSt.--They can't have two "bad" seasons in a row...
2d) McNeese--Lots of talent from a young team last year.
6) SFA--poor ol' SFA. They will be improved though, but there's too many good teams ahead of them.

just my :twocents:

Lionsrking
May 3rd, 2006, 03:12 AM

1) SELA--so much talent it's scary. not a sleeper in my book--definite SLC title contender (given they escape their TOUGH OOC unscathed...)
2a) TxSt--switched emphasis on running game with a LOADED backfield..."winnable" OOC schedule and proved they could win on the road.
6) SFA--poor ol' SFA. They will be improved though, but there's too many good teams ahead of them.

I think it's great you have that much confidence in us but I'm not ready to stake claim to Southland supremacy just yet. There's no question we have a great deal of talent on both sides of the ball but we're young at key positions on offense and still have to demonstrate consistency from week to week in the league. And as you pointed out, we have a brutal non-conference slate. I do believe we'll be in the hunt and certainly a lot better than most think but I'd rather start the season as the darkhorse instead of the favorite. :smiley_wi Personally I think Nicholls will contend once again and Sam Houston should be much improved.

Lionsrking
May 3rd, 2006, 03:23 AM

1) McNeese - Always dangerous and should be back in the hunt again. I think at the end of last year, lots of people were pointing to the return of the Pokes this coming year.

2) Northwestern St - They seem to play 2nd fiddle and lose a game that looks easy, but ends up not being the case.

3) SHSU - Not much lost from a team that took I-AA semifinalist Texas St to overtime. Home schedule is favorable with McN, TXST and Nicholls at home. I think HC is going to stick with one QB which will solve alot. A healthy OOC can lead to a solid SLC slate.

4) Texas St - Lost a lot including Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans, two players capable of making to the NFL. Lots of great talent, but we haven't seen or gotten familiar with these faces. Easy OOC schedule, have the tough roadies this year after easy trips last year.

5) SELA - Very dangerous team that can beat anyone, but I think they're still trying to find their way to the next level

6) Nicholls - This is a team that can be a sleeper any given year. That triple option provides headaches. We'll see what Nicholls does without their star QB from last year. If the new QB steps up, Nicholls may just stick around the upper echelon of the conference.

7) SFA - They're a lost one. Haven't done nothing under the new HC and they got spanked several times last year. Southall takes the reigns at the QB position full-time this year.

I think that's a very fair prediction for us though I personally think we'll finish a notch or two higher, if not contend, depending on several factors. We have to stay healthy through a rough non-conference schedule and our young players have to play to their ability level. If they do, it could be a great year but you have to take into account that young players make mistakes and we're still trying to get over the consistency hump. I love the direction we're headed in however and 2007, 2008 look very, very promising indeed.

RabidRabbit
May 3rd, 2006, 06:54 AM

Just Curious, but isn't Nicholls Supposed to be in this list somewhere?:bang:

DTSpider
May 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

North:

1. UMass
2. Maine
3. UNH
4. Hofstra
5. URI
6. Northeastern

South:

1. Delaware
2. Richmond
3. JMU
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. Villanova

The A10 will always be up in the air. Injuries can take you from 1 to 5 easily. As far as prediciting teams, the normal course is to rate UMass & Delaware high. I'm worried about Richmond since we never seem to put together two good years in a row, but last year's consensus was that we were one year away. The top four of the south could finish in any order and all have a chance to win the conference. Towson is close, but I don't see them jumping above 3rd this year due to depth issues. Nova really has fallen and appears a lock for the cellar. I just don't want Richmond to be predicted to win the conference...that always spells doom.

colgate13
May 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Patriot League -

1 - Colgate. Guys, we're not losing to Cornell or Lafayette. You'll have to wait for Biddle to retire before that happens. UMass will be our toughest OOC test and it's the first game no less. I'm not crazy about our chances but we can win.
2 - Lafayette. You've got Lehigh's number and this year is no different. Plus, I think you're hitting the point of 'reloading' as opposed to 'rebuilding. There has been some solid recruiting going on Easton. This is the 'turn a corner' year that establishes the Pards and Tavani as year in year out contenders.
3 - Lehigh. Don't jump down my throats Mountain Hawks but I'm smelling a 'down' year (by Lehigh standards) in Bethlehem. New coach that everyone is hyped about, sure. But lets look at what's going on: you've got Threatt who everyone (including me) is high on. He's a great talent that could become a great PL QB. He's still largely unproven IMO. The Colgate win stands out, but so does the Lafayette loss at home. After him, you've got to find a new offensive threat. New WR's and Marquis at TB isn't good enough to carry the team. You've got to put your marbles in your unproven transfers. I also think there could be a situation brewing kind of like Fordham when Clawson left. Lembo doesn't leave IMO if he thinks there's a shot to make another good run in 2006. 2005 was his baby and he saw the future, so he bailed.
4 - Georgetown. Again, don't choke on your food here. This place has been crying for a shake up and finally got it. There IS talent in D.C. and while it won't compete for the title (yet), remember they finished 5th last year.
5 - Holy Cross. I agree with some above sentiments. They lost a good senior class and a winning record would be a huge accomplishment.
6 - Fordham. They will need a few years of Masella before they're 'back'. I didn't see much there last year, and even with Prydatko and Taylor returning, they still are relying on Daniels at QB, and I don't think he can do it.
7 - Bucknell. Without a serious unknown to step it up on offense, this is going to be another long season for Bucknell, and it might cost Landis his job.

OL FU
May 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM

Let me ask you, mainly because you are blowing one of my top 25 teams out of the water. I saw Nichols one time last year. I don't think Furman played their best by anyshot but Nichols was a very good team. They lose their QB but not much else on offense. QB is important but did they have no one that could step up and do the job? My biggest concern with Nichols is they lost about half the starters on defense (and I was very impressed with the D). Asking because I don't want to start the poll season with that big of an error. (And I have a few bubble teams just waiting to slide in the top 25)

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Just Curious, but isn't Nicholls Supposed to be in this list somewhere?:bang:

Good point! :)

A Bobcat shouldn't forget the team that beat them and would not allow them an outright conference title, especially considering the great game they played last yera...

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Good point! :)

A Bobcat shouldn't forget the team that beat them and would not allow them an outright conference title, especially considering the great game they played last yera...

haha...u're right. i shouldn't have forgotten them....what a great game.

Ummm, let's make them 2e. I think there's going to be a dogfight for 2nd place (a 5-way race), but I think SELA will win the autobid.:twocents:

exbearkat
May 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Let me ask you, mainly because you are blowing one of my top 25 teams out of the water. I saw Nichols one time last year. I don't think Furman played their best by anyshot but Nichols was a very good team. They lose their QB but not much else on offense. QB is important but did they have no one that could step up and do the job? My biggest concern with Nichols is they lost about half the starters on defense (and I was very impressed with the D). Asking because I don't want to start the poll season with that big of an error. (And I have a few bubble teams just waiting to slide in the top 25)
In most cases the qb is very important. However, in Nicholls case the qb makes or breaks their offense. With Vannoy gone I think the Colonels take a dive in '06.

Fordham
May 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Colgate - I thought last year would be the down year. To have Biddle pull off last season makes them the odds on favorites to win it this year, particularly considering that they lose less than Lafayette (I believe).

Lafayette - Some very strong recruiting classes, coaching stability and a winning attitude put them as the clear 2nd imo, in a two horse race for the title.

Lehigh - The coaching change is a prime reason to put them a notch below their regular seeding in the clump at the top but it could clearly also be a reason that they'll elevate to compete with 'gate and the pards for the title if things break right. They're the only other team, imo, capable of elevating into the top of the rankings along with those 2 schools.

Holy Cross - Big losses to graduation but coaching stability and finally a bit of a winning attitude make me give them the nod of the bottom tier of teams in the PL.

Georgetown - I'll believe it when I see it. Coaching change could be a very good thing and I think they had a great recruiting class overall. Getting used to the new staff & systems along with the real problem of shaking off a losing attitude are what makes me put them below HC ... but they have the talent to finish above them and possibly break into the top 3 if Lehigh has more trouble with the new staff than anticipated.

Fordham - Can't say I was too impressed at the Spring game overall. We lack a playmaker on offense and don't have much of a gamechanger on D. Not to mention that we still have big questions at QB. Our o-line will be much improved over last year and this could bode well for our running game that got a boost with Prydatko's return. That, in turn, could have a ripple effect on the QB (likely Daniels again). The new staff seems great but there will be an adjustment period just like what Gtown and Lehigh are going through. It's a favorable schedule overall and a strong start could get our guys enough confidence to compete well once the meat of the PL skid starts. Conversely, a rough start against Columbia and several mid-majors (a strong possibility given last year's results), would be devastating as we get to the league games. The possibility exists as well that we could have a .500 overall record and still be at the bottom of league standings. Hope I'm wrong. Lord, I hope I'm wrong.

Bucknell - we beat them last year and will be a better team overall, so I'm putting them behind us, given some of their losses. They were my surprise team last year, but not for the reasons that they ended up surprising us all.

Pard4Life
May 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Colgate finished two weekends ago. And we're going to win the Patriot League by virtue of... how many in a row my Pard brethern? :D

:mad: :bang: : flamemad

Ok I admit that got me steamed when I first read it. :rotateh:

All streaks come to an end Mr. 13.

McNeese75
May 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM

We have SELA, TxSt and Nicholls at home this year. I have to believe that will be worth something in the conference race. NwSt is always a tough game for the Pokes but our record in their stadium and at SHSU is pretty good so we should be competitive there as well.

This is a going to be a very balanced and dangerous conference this year and I do believe there will be one or two very serious contenders when the smoke clears. :nod:

Pard4Life
May 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Patriot League -

1 - Colgate. Guys, we're not losing to Cornell or Lafayette. You'll have to wait for Biddle to retire before that happens. UMass will be our toughest OOC test and it's the first game no less. I'm not crazy about our chances but we can win.
2 - Lafayette. You've got Lehigh's number and this year is no different. Plus, I think you're hitting the point of 'reloading' as opposed to 'rebuilding. There has been some solid recruiting going on Easton. This is the 'turn a corner' year that establishes the Pards and Tavani as year in year out contenders.
3 - Lehigh. Don't jump down my throats Mountain Hawks but I'm smelling a 'down' year (by Lehigh standards) in Bethlehem. New coach that everyone is hyped about, sure. But lets look at what's going on: you've got Threatt who everyone (including me) is high on. He's a great talent that could become a great PL QB. He's still largely unproven IMO. The Colgate win stands out, but so does the Lafayette loss at home. After him, you've got to find a new offensive threat. New WR's and Marquis at TB isn't good enough to carry the team. You've got to put your marbles in your unproven transfers. I also think there could be a situation brewing kind of like Fordham when Clawson left. Lembo doesn't leave IMO if he thinks there's a shot to make another good run in 2006. 2005 was his baby and he saw the future, so he bailed.
4 - Georgetown. Again, don't choke on your food here. This place has been crying for a shake up and finally got it. There IS talent in D.C. and while it won't compete for the title (yet), remember they finished 5th last year.
5 - Holy Cross. I agree with some above sentiments. They lost a good senior class and a winning record would be a huge accomplishment.
6 - Fordham. They will need a few years of Masella before they're 'back'. I didn't see much there last year, and even with Prydatko and Taylor returning, they still are relying on Daniels at QB, and I don't think he can do it.
7 - Bucknell. Without a serious unknown to step it up on offense, this is going to be another long season for Bucknell, and it might cost Landis his job.

Daniels could be better at QB if the OL offered him some protection. He was a respectable rookie but seemed to crash last year, and I know they had some new players on the line last year.

GannonFan
May 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
I did this back in January, still don't see too much to make me change my mind on the A10:

Teams that were good and will stay good:
New Hampshire - The only team I would feel sure about would be New Hampshire. As long as Santos and Ball are healthy they'll be plenty good. Even though they rotate into perhaps the harder part of the A10 South this year (playing JMU/UD/and Richmond rather than W&M/Towson/nova) they can't seem to beat W&M to save their lives and Towson isn't bad so it's only a marginal upgrade. They'll win at least 8 and probably more.

Teams Moving Up:
James Madison - After being the first defending champ since 1997 to not make the playoffs, things should get better for the Dukes. They weren't bad last year, they just lost too many bad games. I can understand the UMass loss in the mud, but they got manhandled by a depleted Delaware team, they found a way to lose to a Coastal Carolina team that couldn't even win their own conference (well, they tied with the team that beat them - co-champs officially), and they lost a put-up or shut-up game at home against a Richmond team that was, granted, pretty decent. But that's a home game that a good team should win. The schedule, if it's right, should be easy - two games where they have to just show up against VMI and Bloomsburg and Appalachian St, minus a lot of keys from this year's NC, on the road. They should be able to get another win to get to 8 and the playoffs.

Delaware - They don't lose a whole lot and were getting better as the year finished. Too many inujuries last year to key people had a lot of young guys starting all at the same time. While that hurt them last year this year it should be a plus as these guys got their noses wet last year and should be a lot better this year. Still questions around the defensive line, but if those get answered things look good. Schedule is easy (like the rest of the conference, maybe the schedule's are getting too easy - at the most it seems teams will play one tough team OOC - doesn't give a lot of chances for a high number of good OOC wins) and if the new QB (Moyer or Flacco) is decent enough, it should be a return to the playoffs for the Hens.

William and Mary - I'm not sure I see them getting to the playoffs, but they can't be as bad as they were when they lost 3 of 4 to finish the year (and a terrible loss to nova thrown in there to boot). But I don't think you see that many losing W&M teams so I think they'll be better this year. But they are still going to have defensive line issues and their defensive backfield loses a lot. Phillips and the offense will have to get better because they may have to outscore people. Schedule is the same as normal - 2-1 in OOC is almost guaranteed but they have to travel to UD and JMU this year. Like I said, probably no playoffs, but should be back over .500 .

Northeastern - Again, I don't see them making the playoffs, but I can't imagine they'll be as bad as the 2 win season they had last year. The offense was very young but has all the makings of a tough team. Defensively they weren't very good and that will still be a problem this year. They also kill themselves with a crazy OOC schedule - I certainly think a lot of teams can improve their OOC schedule, but I think NE takes it too far - playing YSU, GSU, and NW St last year was killer. I think it's a little better this year (not sure if it's finalized) but it's still pretty hard.

Teams Standing Still:
Richmond - I'm not entirely sold on Richmond yet, but hey, I was wrong on them this year so maybe that's good for Spider fans. The big problem is replacing Tutt, who I think was the linchpin for that offense. Without him they looked terrible on offense, with him under center they looked like a steamroller. Neither of the two young guys last year looked good so either they'll need to improve a lot or they need to find somebody new. They have some losses on offense and defense but not enough that they'll slide back. They get UD and JMU at home and they still have Clawson as a coach. They'll be in the race for a playoff spot come November, not sure they'll get in though.

Maine - Unfortunately for Maine, Cosgrove remains. He's a decent enough coach, and has brought in a good number of talents, but his teams never seem to get over the hump. Maine was just okay last year, having seemingly written off the season half-way through only to play solid ball late in the year. But I don't see them being able to take the next step and be consistently good over the course of a season. They'll be a tough team on some weeks and bad on others.

Teams Moving Down:
Towson - No disrespect towards Towson, and actually I think this is a compliment, teams aren't going to take Towson for granted next year. I think Towson has shown that they're getting better, as most people expected they would. Last year they managed to beat a lot of teams that really, they should beat, but didn't really beat any of the top teams in the league. In fact, they got blown out a few times against those teams (Richmond, W&M, JMU, UNH). They have a decent enough offense, and against teams with a poor pass defense they will create problems, but their defense is not capable enough yet to have them win week in and week out. I'm not a Combs fan either, but to his credit he had the team ready to play every week last year. I think Towson takes one more step back now before really starting to get better. Watch out for them 2-3 years down the road.

UMass - They had a golden chance for a great season in 2005 and saw it crumble in the last few weeks. They never won the big game last year - sure they beat JMU, but even a UMass fan has to acknowledge the field played a part in that. Close games against UNH and Hofstra didn't go their way and the Colgate debacle came back to haunt them. Now they lose a lot of key players on both sides of the ball, especially on the defensive side which carried them most of the year until they struggled at the end too. They have a good QB in Coen, and the schedule moves to the easier part of the A10 South, but I don't see them improving on last year's 7-4.

Hofstra - They won't be down for long, but they lose a ton of people to graduation and will have to get used to a new coach. Hofstra still has some talent and Clarkson will be a senior, so they won't be bad, but I don't think they'll be on the cusp of the playoffs as they ended up this year.

Teams That Will Continue to be Bad:
Rhode Island - Stowers pulled the wool over URI's eyes last year getting the contract extension before his team hit the skids. A lot of guys need to be replaced, including the vital cog that the QB is in that offense. Plus the schedule gets tougher with JMU, UD, and Richmond on the schedule. Equaling last year's 4-7 mark will be a challenge.

nova - Not that I'm upset about this, but nova is in trouble. They lose a lot of skill guys and the good guys on defense, and they still weren't good with these guys last year. Their offensive line is a sieve so even having Burroughs back may not be enough. And their defense isn't any better and they couldn't stop the run at all last year (except against W&M, which still makes to sense to me how they crushed them). The schedule is a bit daunting, with road trips to UD and W&M, not to mention Central Florida, and I just think they are in a rut talent-wise right now. As 2002 showed, with a stellar QB they can rise about that, but I think even if they had Gordon back at QB he would get killed behind that offensive line. In a toughening A10 South, nova's looking like the cellar dweller for another year.

WMTribe90
May 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Predicting an order of finish in the A10 is nearly impossible, so I will simply break down the teams into three categories.

North Division:

Front Runner (UNH)
Contenders (UMass, Maine, Hofstra)
Spoilers (NU, URI)

South Division:

Front Runner (JMU)
Contenders (UD, WM, UR)
Spoilers (VU, Towson)

Once again there will be no gimmies in the A10 this year. UNH and JMU are loaded at the skill positions and have no glaring weaknesses. UD has as much talent as anyone, but is breaking in a new QB and needs to find an identity after a rough offseason. WM should score plenty of points and is loaded at LB. We'll need to develop quickly at DL and safety positions to have a shot though. Schedule is also not particularly favorable with trips to Maryland, UD and JMU. UR will have the same issue as at the start of 2005; can someone not named Tutt generate offense for the Spiders from the QB position. VU, NU, Towson, and URI capable of pulling an upset on AGS, but either lack the depth or have real weaknesses that will prevent consistent winning. Hofstra, UMass and Maine all lost some big time talent (see FA signings), but all have enough remaining talent and a legit chance of putting it together and making a run for the north title.

OL FU
May 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Georgia Southern
4. Western Carolina
5. Chattanooga
6. Wofford
7. Citadel
8. Elon

1-3 have some questions but the advantage has to go to Appalachian. I, like others, think that there will be some fall off from Williams to Elder which is not a knock on Elder. Williams was the leader of the team and always performed even when the team had difficulties (2004). They lose their offensive and defensive leaders but there is no reason why some one will not step up and fill those roles.

Furman, in the same spot as ASU, lost their QB and leader on defense. Additionally, Furman lost the middle of their o-line, a couple of receivers and two of the three "starting" tailbacks. This year will look more like the typical FU offense, a lot more running, a lot more option. Questions are the QB and and the middle of the line. Defense was the problem in 2005 mainly due to youth. The Defense improved at the end of the year. Experience and a new D-Line coach should have the D back to normal. The only reason I have Furman above GSU is GSU has even more questions than Furman.

GSU, They have been discussed often here so we don't gain alot from discussing again. We all know they have the talent, the question is does the talent match the new offense. The bigger question may be the defense. They did not stop too many people last year.

4 Western Carolina. Last year they had some really good games and some really bad games. I think they have the potential for some additional upsets, the question is can they play consistently enough not to be upset. If they can play consistently, WCU could very well be a top 25 team.

5-6, Teams are interchangeable.

Chattanooga, Same old problem. They appear to have lots of talent and usually bring in what appears to be talented transfers. It just never seems to work. Chattanooga also had some decent games and I may be judging too much from the Furman game. The score last year wasn't horrible, but it was also never in doubt. My comment with Chattanooga is always the same, seeing is believing.

Wofford, They could sneak up to number 4 but I think there are too many questions from last years team. Defensively they started strong and ended badly. The offense will improve with the return of Kevious Johnson ( he is returning right) but their big question QB.

7-8 Citadel and Elon, both have new coaches, Citadel second year and Elon first year ( Patriot League moves south). I do believe both coaches will improve their respective teams, but this year is still too soon.

colgate13
May 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Ok I admit that got me steamed when I first read it. :rotateh:

All streaks come to an end Mr. 13.

Yup. Biddle's contract is through 2011. ;)

colgate13
May 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Daniels could be better at QB if the OL offered him some protection. He was a respectable rookie but seemed to crash last year, and I know they had some new players on the line last year.

Nope, I disagree. He's a good athlete but he's not a QB.

HensRock
May 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
My take on the A-10:

North
1. UNH
2. NU
3. UMass
4. Hofstra
5. Maine
6. URI

South
1. Delaware
2. W&M
3. JMU
4. Towson
5. Richmond
6. Villanova

South is up for grabs IMO. UD could be stellar or they could be average or anywhere in-between. I do think that most are over-rating JMU because they lose some talent in the trenches. Jimmye will find a way to position W&M to win. Richmond loses Tutt. Towson is improving. Agree with all that Nova is in trouble especially at OL.

bluehenbillk
May 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Richmond 5th? Ouch, I don't see them that low.

Thumper250
May 3rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Big South

1. CCU (should be a good year for senior laden team) 7-4, 3-1 BSC
<i>Not an easy schedule though, and installing a new offense in August won't be easy. GSU will be better, Wofford at Wofford is tough and Furman will be plenty good. Likely more physical than the Beach Boys anticipate.</i>
2. LU (expect this should be a surprise team) 6-5, 2-2 BSC
<i>Lots of I-A transfers if you read this board, so they've gotta be better.</i>
3. G-W (good offense, actually great if all those guys are indeed back) 6-5, 2-2 BSC
<i>Tough schedule with App State and SELA out of conference. Not sure if TTech will be good, but they do have Jax and a DII I think to balance. Defense was awful at times last year according to their stats.</i>
4. CSU (could go higher, but I'm not convinced) 4-7, 1-3 BSC
<i>Colin Drafts may be the most overated player in I-AA football. Need a rushing attack.</i>
5. VMI (no idea, they could be much better than last year, but who knows) 3-8, 0-4 BSC
<i>No idea how they'll be. Always seem to play teams close through even a bad year.</i>

As we've seen the past few years, the league isn't separated by much ... even with Coastal's success out of conference. Judging from last year alone, GWU and VMI are two of the worst defensive teams in the league, but so was Liberty for that matter. Heck, there aren't many good defensive teams ever in the BSC.:read:

Thumper250
May 3rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Big South

1. CCU (should be a good year for senior laden team) 7-4, 3-1 BSC
<i>Not an easy schedule though, and installing a new offense in August won't be easy. GSU will be better, Wofford at Wofford is tough and Furman will be plenty good. Likely more physical than the Beach Boys anticipate.</i>
2. LU (expect this should be a surprise team) 6-5, 2-2 BSC
<i>Lots of I-A transfers if you read this board, so they've gotta be better.</i>
3. G-W (good offense, actually great if all those guys are indeed back) 6-5, 2-2 BSC
<i>Tough schedule with App State and SELA out of conference. Not sure if TTech will be good, but they do have Jax and a DII I think to balance. Defense was awful at times last year according to their stats.</i>
4. CSU (could go higher, but I'm not convinced) 4-7, 1-3 BSC
<i>Colin Drafts may be the most overated player in I-AA football. Need a rushing attack.</i>
5. VMI (no idea, they could be much better than last year, but who knows) 3-8, 0-4 BSC
<i>No idea how they'll be. Always seem to play teams close through even a bad year.</i>

As we've seen the past few years, the league isn't separated by much ... even with Coastal's success out of conference. Judging from last year alone, GWU and VMI are two of the worst defensive teams in the league, but so was Liberty for that matter. Heck, there aren't many good defensive teams ever in the BSC.:read:

Pard4Life
May 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
1-Lafayette: We finally get over the Colgate hump after being very close the past several seasons. At this team, Lehigh is still a question mark personnel and cohesion wise. Mauer will be healthy, the OL is solid, same with WRs. The defense has lost some players, but I think we fill the vacated holes nicely. I'd say the CBs are still a question performance wise. However, we lose two OOC games and go 9-2. Curse Harvard and Yale... and yes we beat Penn and Princeton in the same season.

2-Colgate: Sacraceno is back, Jordan Scott is going to be a monster. But what about that OL? Only two starters are returning from last season. And the defense? Only four players returning. But, these returning players are huge impact players. Colgate always reloads, and they are very deep. I don’t think the quality of their team will be much of an issue. Those returning defenders are in the secondary, and one at LB. It looks like their entire DL will be new though. It might be an issue early, but likely not once the PL schedule rolls around.

3-Lehigh: Too many questions right now. Threatt can play but what about big games? Yeah they beat Colgate with him at QB, but how many times did Colgate cough up the ball in their territory? Many starters are back. They can either finish first or third.

4-Georgetown: Finally earn their breakthrough year. New coaching staff will energize an already talented defensive team. Offense just needs to pull it together.

5-Holy Cross: I’d pick them higher but they lose nearly everything from their offensive unit. Their defense returns many but they were pourous last season. I think the lack of offense will compromise their year… odd for HC no doubt.

6-Fordham: Still a lot of work to do. An experienced OL should help Prodyatko and Daniels be more effective. FU could finish high as fourth but they are also an unknown.

7-Bucknell… Um, they have nothing without Dante Ross.

blur2005
May 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
I'd say I generally agree with GannonFan's points. I think JMU will get to 8 or 9 wins, as will Delaware, and New Hampshire will continue to be good.

So I see it like this:

North
1.New Hampshire
2.UMass
3.Northeastern
4.Maine
5.Hofstra
6.Rhode Island

South
1.Delaware or JMU
2.Delaware or JMU
3.William & Mary
4.Richmond
5.Towson
6.Villanova

I see New Hampshire, Delaware, and JMU as the A-10s playoff squads.

kats89
May 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
From top to bottom, I think the Southland Conference is a VERY balanced league. It really depends on how you play on the road in this conference. You have to be on your game when conference play arrives. Here is my take for what it is worth......

McNeese St... Say what you want, this team will be back. Hurricane Rita really rocked their world last year. Look for this program to be on a mission this year.

Northwestern St.. I think the Demons will be a contender again. They play well at home. Just depends on how they play on the road. Stoker will have them ready.

SE Louisiana.. I am gonna put them here for now. This team will sneak up on some people and could finish anywhere from 1 to 4.

Sam Houston... Return 16 of 22 starters. Again, it depends on how we play on the road early and if HC can decide on a QB. First 4 of 5 games of the season are on the road with stops at Missouri St, SMU, Texas and NW St. 2-2 road trip could put us in the hunt. Anything less and it could be a tough season.

TX State... Who knows, but with the loss of 28 seniors including Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans to name a few, it could be a long season. The home schedule will give them the wins they need, but road sked could be the downfall.

Nicholls St... They can ruin anyone's season with that triple option, but with Vannoy gone, I think they will sputter a bit.

SFA.. Who knows with this bunch. Start off strong early in the season and will probably fold up like a cheap tent again. I look for another crappy season for the Lumberjacks.

May 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
good to see the SLC out in force! i see the league being balanced, but at the end of season you will see a fight for first from mcneese, selu, & nicholls. nicholls is not the only one who lost a qb last year, most of the leagues best teams revolved around the qb, especially texst. last time i checked the shotgun pretty much depends on QB. northwestern, selu, textx, thats 3 out of the 7. i am sure nicholls fans dont mind being overlooked. i am looking forward to awesome season.

kats89
May 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
good to see the SLC out in force! i see the league being balanced, but at the end of season you will see a fight for first from mcneese, selu, & nicholls. nicholls is not the only one who lost a qb last year, most of the leagues best teams revolved around the qb, especially texst. last time i checked the shotgun pretty much depends on QB. northwestern, selu, textx, thats 3 out of the 7. i am sure nicholls fans dont mind being overlooked. i am looking forward to awesome season.

I am going to say that there will be a Southland team competing in the I-AA semi-finals for the third year in a row.

eagleskins
May 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Georgia Southern
4. Western Carolina
5. Chattanooga
6. Wofford
7. Citadel
8. Elon

1-3 have some questions but the advantage has to go to Appalachian. I, like others, think that there will be some fall off from Williams to Elder which is not a knock on Elder. Williams was the leader of the team and always performed even when the team had difficulties (2004). They lose their offensive and defensive leaders but there is no reason why some one will not step up and fill those roles.

Furman, in the same spot as ASU, lost their QB and leader on defense. Additionally, Furman lost the middle of their o-line, a couple of receivers and two of the three "starting" tailbacks. This year will look more like the typical FU offense, a lot more running, a lot more option. Questions are the QB and and the middle of the line. Defense was the problem in 2005 mainly due to youth. The Defense improved at the end of the year. Experience and a new D-Line coach should have the D back to normal. The only reason I have Furman above GSU is GSU has even more questions than Furman.

GSU, They have been discussed often here so we don't gain alot from discussing again. We all know they have the talent, the question is does the talent match the new offense. The bigger question may be the defense. They did not stop too many people last year.

4 Western Carolina. Last year they had some really good games and some really bad games. I think they have the potential for some additional upsets, the question is can they play consistently enough not to be upset. If they can play consistently, WCU could very well be a top 25 team.

Chattanooga, Same old problem. They appear to have lots of talent and usually bring in what appears to be talented transfers. It just never seems to work. Chattanooga also had some decent games and I may be judging too much from the Furman game. The score last year wasn't horrible, but it was also never in doubt. My comment with Chattanooga is always the same, seeing is believing.

Wofford, They could sneak up to number 4 but I think there are too many questions from last years team. Defensively they started strong and ended badly. The offense will improve with the return of Kevious Johnson ( he is returning right) but their big question QB.

7-8 Citadel and Elon, both have new coaches, Citadel second year and Elon first year ( Patriot League moves south). I do believe both coaches will improve their respective teams, but this year is still too soon.

Furman was worse than GSU defensively last year, and they lost their best defensive player. GSU's returns our best John Mohring, who is one of the top defensive players in the conference. It would seem that Furman has more questions on defense than GSU does.

Fordham
May 3rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
alright, screw this. I revised mine. It's pre-season for God's sake.

Fordham - Can't say I was too impressed at the Spring game overall. We lack a playmaker on offense and don't have much of a gamechanger on D. Not to mention that we still have big questions at QB. Our o-line will be much improved over last year and this could bode well for our running game that got a boost with Prydatko's return. That, in turn, could have a ripple effect on the QB (likely Daniels again). The new staff seems great but there will be an adjustment period just like what Gtown and Lehigh are going through. It's a favorable schedule overall and a strong start could get our guys enough confidence to compete well once the meat of the PL skid starts. Conversely, a rough start against Columbia and several mid-majors (a strong possibility given last year's results), would be devastating as we get to the league games. The possibility exists as well that we could have a .500 overall record and still be at the bottom of league standings. Hope I'm wrong. Lord, I hope I'm wrong.

Colgate - I thought last year would be the down year. To have Biddle pull off last season makes them the odds on favorites to win it this year, particularly considering that they lose less than Lafayette (I believe).

Lafayette - Some very strong recruiting classes, coaching stability and a winning attitude put them as the clear 2nd imo, in a two horse race for the title.

Lehigh - The coaching change is a prime reason to put them a notch below their regular seeding in the clump at the top but it could clearly also be a reason that they'll elevate to compete with 'gate and the pards for the title if things break right. They're the only other team, imo, capable of elevating into the top of the rankings along with those 2 schools.

Holy Cross - Big losses to graduation but coaching stability and finally a bit of a winning attitude make me give them the nod of the bottom tier of teams in the PL.

Georgetown - I'll believe it when I see it. Coaching change could be a very good thing and I think they had a great recruiting class overall. Getting used to the new staff & systems along with the real problem of shaking off a losing attitude are what makes me put them below HC ... but they have the talent to finish above them and possibly break into the top 3 if Lehigh has more trouble with the new staff than anticipated.

Bucknell - we beat them last year and will be a better team overall, so I'm putting them behind us, given some of their losses. They were my surprise team last year, but not for the reasons that they ended up surprising us all.[/QUOTE]

Killtoppers90
May 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
1) Youngstown State - Killer D
2) UNI - solid across the board
3) WKU - a few questions but Lerron and Haddix back
4) Il. State - came on strong all season but a question or two
5) SIU - Starting QB gone but still stud runners
6) In. State - They are gettting better
7) Missouri St. - Still in a tough conference but also getting better
8) WIU - Someone has to finish last

I think if things go well, the gate will get 4 teams in the playoffs.

NSUDemon98
May 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM

You do realize how young we will be in SEVERAL key areas, don't you?

We should be EXCELLENT at WR with many experienced players but we will have a QB who has never started a college game, regardless of who wins the spot.

We have lots of talent, but most of it is Junior/Sophomore...I do appreciate the respect that you showed my alma mater though.

NSUDemon98
May 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
I think it's great you have that much confidence in us but I'm not ready to stake claim to Southland supremacy just yet. There's no question we have a great deal of talent on both sides of the ball but we're young at key positions on offense and still have to demonstrate consistency from week to week in the league. And as you pointed out, we have a brutal non-conference slate. I do believe we'll be in the hunt and certainly a lot better than most think but I'd rather start the season as the darkhorse instead of the favorite. :smiley_wi Personally I think Nicholls will contend once again and Sam Houston should be much improved.

Nicholls will always contend b/c of their offense. Who in the hell runs the option anymore besides Navy??? Even when they are terrible they still manage to keep games close b/c of the offense they run...

I, for one, hope they do away with the option...then we will all see the talent difference between them and the rest of the SLC.

But until then, my Demons will continue to prepare for the option and continue to look like they didn't prepare at all...:bang:

Tribe4SF
May 4th, 2006, 06:56 AM
A-10, with the exception of UNH, is as tough to call as ever.

I think the South is anyone's guess.

-JMU looks like a favorite, but their defense took a step down last year, and they lose some key people again. When JMU is good, the defense drives the boat. If Mickey can bring himself to change the offensive strategy (doubtful), they may be able to win it even with a deteriorating defense.

-Delaware also looks like a favorite, but it's predicated on promise. The passing game folks are mostly new, and talent does not always equal performance. Their defense got better through the Fall (Marcorelle is a rising star), and will need to carry them if Cuff is the whole offense again.

-Richmond will have the best defense in the South again. The offense is a huge question mark. They could be losing games as they did early last year to Lafayette (7-0), or they could be right back at the top. Important to remember that they beat JMU, Delaware and W&M last year. This year we find out how good Clawson is.

-W&M is all question marks. Great skill people will not matter if the O-line plays like it did down the stretch last Fall. Jake Phillips looked ordinary with DEs whispering in his ear after a three-step drop. New defensive schemes will have to successfully emphasize the LB talent to cover for an unproven DL, and a razor thin safety crew.

-Most have Towson taking a step back, but they've got a good young QB, and their appetite for winning has been wetted. Probably not enough talent to contend just yet.

-Villanova looks to be down again, but they still managed to beat the tar out of the Tribe last year. Probably lost too many keys to be anything but a spoiler.

slostang
May 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM
The race for the Great West Football Conference Championship is a four horse race between last years co-champs UC Davis and Cal Poly and the Dakota schools, North Dakotat State and South Dakota State. I think all four teams are going to be stronger this year and have a legit shot at the tittle.

Southern Utah is the wild card in the conference. I do not think they will contend for the tittle, but they might knock off one of the top four if they look past them.

bluehenbillk
May 4th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Nothing is sure in the A-10 South this year. I think JMu may be a tad over-rated this season but if you put a gun to my head & asked for a lock I'd say Nova in the basement.

OL FU
May 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Furman was worse than GSU defensively last year, and they lost their best defensive player. GSU's returns our best John Mohring, who is one of the top defensive players in the conference. It would seem that Furman has more questions on defense than GSU does.

I don't think that was the case. We gave up four more points per game and twenty less yards per game than GSU. The difference as I see it is, the last few games we seemed to get better. ASU 29 points 400+ yards, Richmond 20 points 350 yards, Nichols 270 yards and 12 points. GSU finished the year giving up 42 and 50(?). to SDSU and Texas ST.

There are lots of questions, and it should not be surprising that we see things differently. :smiley_wi

JoshUCA
May 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
The only thing I know for certain in the SLC is that UCA has no chance of winning a conference title this year!!:D

HensRock
May 4th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Agree with your lock, billk (so of course it won't happen xlolx )

I also see the A-10 South being wide open. UD has talent but will it gel and can they avoid the injury bug? I see a 3-horse race. UD, JMU, W&M. Wouldn't be surprised to see any of those take the A-10 south title. Richmond loses too much in Tutt - remember how they looked when they had him out wide? Now imagine him completly absent. Towson's young QB Salisbury will have matured, but OL and DB are big question marks especially the departure of both Harrison and Telp at the corners.
Villanova may surprise us if they can address the weaknesses on the OL, but I still can't picture them finishing higher than 4th in the south.

South Any order:
1-3 UD/JMU/W&M
4-6 TU/UR/VU

VictorG
May 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Anyone notice that there is nothing about the Big Sky on this thread? I'm not going to be the 1st to post my projections either!:)

I think the lack of BSC posts here may be because people are still trying to figure out if the Griz are going to be as good as their coach and most of their fans think, or are we all just overally excited as usual?:rolleyes:

(Well, maybe I will give you the conference winner......DA Griz!)

GannonFan
May 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Anyone notice that there is nothing about the Big Sky on this thread? I'm not going to be the 1st to post my projections either!:)

I think the lack of BSC posts here may be because people are still trying to figure out if the Griz are going to be as good as their coach and most of their fans think, or are we all just overally excited as usual?:rolleyes:

(Well, maybe I will give you the conference winner......DA Griz!)

Yeah, the Big Sky is real tough to figure out...:rolleyes: - maybe Montana will win it this year? Come to think of it, is there even anyone else in that conference besides Montana? (relax, I know there are other teams, but apparently they have been banned from winning the conference, that is, unless Motana St wins it, although that's a recent phenomenon).

catbob
May 4th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been an outright BSC champion since like 99?

blur2005
May 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been an outright BSC champion since like 99?
Actually, it was 2001. But since the 2002 season, there has been at least one tie at the top of the conference standings.

2002 - Montana, Idaho State, Montana State (5-2)
2003 - Montana, Northern Arizona, Montana State (5-2)
2004 - Montana, Eastern Washington (6-1)
2005 - Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington (5-2)

RockyMtnGriz
May 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Here's how I see the Big Sky...

1. Montana – 05 Anemic offense has new trigger man, Swogger. Will put up points. Defense will again be tough. Question at o-line, will be fairly young.

2. Montana State – Questions at QB replacing Lulay, Receiver and defensive line. O-line will be one of best in BSC.

3. Weber State – Return most of offense. O-line will be young, as will the defense. McBride has the Cats headed in the right direction.

4. Idaho State – Michigan transfer Gutierrez is an improvement at QB. Questions at Defense.

5. Eastern Washington – Lost a ton of offense in Meyer and Kimble. Defense is always a question for the Eagles.

6. Northern Arizona – Last year injuries took their toll. Murrietta back for senior year. Whole team tough to gauge. 2 I-A games and playing @ ISU, UM and EWU will be tough.

7. Portland State – Brought in a bunch of JC and lose Joe Rubin. 3 I-A games will get them beat up early.

8. Sacramento State – Defense will be experienced. Offense is a a big ? other than RB Mole. Not sure if coach Mooshagian has what it takes to make a winner as Sac St.

9. Northern Colorado – New coach. New Offense scheme. New QB. New Conference. Not a lot of experience at RB. No idea what they have returning on o-line or over all defense.

VictorG
May 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM

1. Montana – 05 Anemic offense has new trigger man, Swogger. Will put up points. Defense will again be tough. Question at o-line, will be fairly young.

2. Montana State – Questions at QB replacing Lulay, Receiver and defensive line. O-line will be one of best in BSC.

3. Weber State – Return most of offense. O-line will be young, as will the defense. McBride has the Cats headed in the right direction.

4. Idaho State – Michigan transfer Gutierrez is an improvement at QB. Questions at Defense.

5. Eastern Washington – Lost a ton of offense in Meyer and Kimble. Defense is always a question for the Eagles.

6. Northern Arizona – Last year injuries took their toll. Murrietta back for senior year. Whole team tough to gauge. 2 I-A games and playing @ ISU, UM and EWU will be tough.

7. Portland State – Brought in a bunch of JC and lose Joe Rubin. 3 I-A games will get them beat up early.

8. Sacramento State – Defense will be experienced. Offense is a a big ? other than RB Mole. Not sure if coach Mooshagian has what it takes to make a winner as Sac St.

9. Northern Colorado – New coach. New Offense scheme. New QB. New Conference. Not a lot of experience at RB. No idea what they have returning on o-line or over all defense.

Looks good to me. I'll second that!:)

slostang
May 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM

The Bears will probably struggle in the Big Sky this year, but the running back position is one of their strong points. They return Andre Wilson who rushed for over 1,000 yards and averaged 5 yards a carry. His back up, Patrick Ealy, ran for about 300 yards and averaged 6.2 yards a carry as a Rfr.

ncbears
May 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM

What?? No experience at RB? Andre Wilson is the man! As far as offensive line, I believe we lost only senior and they were pretty solid.

eagle1
May 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM
1. Montana
2. Weber St.
3. Montana St.
4. Eastern Washington :hurray:
5. Idaho St.
6. Portland St.
7. Northern Arizona
8. Northern Colorado
9. Sacramento St.

EWU will surprise several teams in the conference next year. They have alot of good young talent that is stepping in on offense and their defense will be much improved. Montana is the team to beat as usual but I would not be surprised if Weber beats them in Ogden. This will be a big year for the EWU program to see if it has established itself as a contender year-in and year-out. Go Eagles!!!

catbob
May 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Here goes a quick, very little thought out nothing:

1. Montana - Although nearly all of the offensive skill players haven't played together, there simply is too much talent for that to be a concern for very long. They may struggle early, but the Griz gel at the right times. Defense will be strong again. Defense was very good at takeaways, and I see no reason they can't be again. And with how much they were on the field last year it made that accomplishment even more impressive (and even more necessary). As mentioned, OLine is the only concern I would have (although it is a big concern - no oline, no running or passing).

--------- teams 2-5 have no real distinction between them and is anyone's guess to the order (or possibility of winning the BSC) ---------

2. Montana State - Big question mark for the entire passing game (QBs and WRs included). But a solid oline and a talented backfield will make the transition in the passing game a smooth one. A very solid DL will anchor the defense, and a quick LB corp will be hard to run past. If the running defense improves from last year, the Bobcats should once again have the #1 rated defense in the Sky. Although losing our DC was a big blow, but only time will tell if Christoff (inside replacement) will be able to do that again.

3. Idaho State - Similar situation as the Cats in terms of offense, except with more proven receivers. If Gutierrez is as advertised, the addition of perhaps one of the most talented backfields in the BSC (Barnett and Cornist) will make for one explosive offense. Receivers have always been good in Poky, as Lacey returns for his senior season. Defense is the main concern for the Bengals, losing two top DEs to graduation.

4. Weber State - Last years version of the Wildcats was a surprisingly decent one. Coach McBride should improve off of that campaign in his 2nd season. Pizzaro is a proven QB, and again a talented backfield of Conway and Hall will be tough to stop. The loss of the McQuistan twins will be a blow, however, and there has to be some concern about the OL. Defense also lost Buchanan finalist Brady Fosmark. But I have to believe McBride could very well be the best coach in the BSC.

5. Portland State - Yes, three IA games may sound like suicide. But they are not all in a row. Sawyer Smith looks to be the man at QB, and will have to have a much better outting than he did a year ago. Key losses include Bodiford (WR) and all-american RB Joe Rubin. But a plethora of talented transfers may be the savior for this Viking squad. Ali may be one of the top rushers in the sky when all is said and done, and Ho'Okano is also having an impressive spring, as did WR transfer Tremayne Kirkland. The Vikings have always have a pretty good defense, and a host of transfers look to bolster this defensive corp.

6. Eastern Washington - No Kimble, no Meyer, no Cwik, thank God. But don't underestimate the Eagles lead by talented coach Paul Wulff. Ryan Cole had a solid season a year ago, and should be more of a focus this year with the loss of sooooo many offensive players. A good group of running backs may have to carry the load for awhile (possibly all season), as the Eagles don't have an official QB in place. Peerboom is the only player to have played at EWU (backing up Meyer), and is competing against two redshirt freshman. There is quite a bit of veterans on this Eagle squad, but I think the loss of Kimble, Meyer, McIntire, and Vijil is going to be too much to overcome, but the Eagles could still finish in the top half.

------------ It is my opinion that anyone below this line will not have a shot at the BSC crown --------------

7. Northern Arizona - I keep saying to myself - Murietta will get back on track. Well, it has become apparent that he is a one-hit wonder, although he should still be considered a talented QB. From reports on spring scrimmages/practices, the running game has been playing well for the Jacks. Xavier Newbill (listed as LB) has the best offensive output as a running back in the final scrim. Unfortunately, NAU does not look to be improved from last year. I don't see any reason why they will finish about .500. They should be 1-2 going into conference, but have a favorable conference schedule (have Weber, MSU and PSU at home).

8. Sacramento State - What can I say about Sac. I see no hope for this team. Ryan Mole had an injury-plagued sophmore season, but should be healthy for his junior campaign. No proven QB, no corp of receivers, a talented defense that will probably underacheive. Also the Hornets are too concerned about getting an invite to the WAC. I see another dysmal season for the Hornets, with a sting to a front-running club (UM, MSU, ISU Weber or PSU).

9. Northern Colorado - I know it is easy to put the newbies into last, but this is a lackluster ballclub that finished 4-7 (0-5 in conference) a year ago, and lost their most notable player to the NFL. They have a challenging OOC schedule (that impressively has no IAs on it) with games at home vs UC Davis and Western Illinois, and a trip to Texas State. Andre Wilson will probably lead the backfield, but a new offensive scheme and new head coach will make the transition into the Big Sky an ardous one. I believe the Big Sky did pick a quality program, but they will need time.

I think UM is ahead at this point, with a smatter of teams that will compete for 2nd or possibly catch UM.

On my blog I plan to release a team preview for each team, one per week, starting after all the spring games have been player.

RockyMtnGriz
May 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Slostag:

The Bears will probably struggle in the Big Sky this year, but the running back position is one of their strong points. They return Andre Wilson who rushed for over 1,000 yards and averaged 5 yards a carry. His back up, Patrick Ealy, ran for about 300 yards and averaged 6.2 yards a carry as a Rfr.

I stand corrected, but still agree that they will struggle in the BSC this year and end up in the basement at the end of the year.

The Gadfly
May 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
are you drunk?

Yeah....so what? xprost2x

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 12:37 AM
SWAC West.
1. ICON
2. su
3. UAPB
4. TxSU
5. PV

SWAC East.
1. Ms. Valley
2. AAMU
3. JSU
4. Alcorn
5. Alabama St.

R.A.
May 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
-Mach, I think JSU might be better then you predict.
-As for the MEAC, 1.)Hampton 2.)SCSU. Afterwards... who cares.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah....so what? xprost2x

bravo:bow:

biobengal
May 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Machiavelli, in the inter-mountain west we don't get the coverage of HBCU's that other regions enjoy. So..... what is the relationsip between Grambling and THE ICON?

Madison04
May 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=bluehenbillk]Nothing is sure in the A-10 South this year. I think JMu may be a tad over-rated this season.QUOTE]

Sadly, I agree with you. Everyone in Harrisonburg is looking at Rascati and the RBs and thinks that another Championship is in the bag, but aside from Tony Lezotte, the secondary is ATROCIOUS. They weren't even that good last year, and now they'll be without Clint Kent. Furthermore, Akeem Jordan was supposed to be the answer at LB, but his play was erratic last season. They'll have to step it up. JMU won't have any trouble scoring points, but I'm skeptical if they'll be able to stop anybody. They'll basically be the 1-AA equivalent of the 2000 St. Louis Rams....but hopefully, unlike that team, JMU will make the playoffs this year!

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Man....I love that senario, but in order for us to finish #2....there's just a few, slight problems we need to address.

#1 --- The RBs (as usual) will carry the team but they can't run with a patchwork O-line. hopefully, that gets cleared up soon (even if we have to play the Freshmen).

#2 --- The passing game HAS to step up. In a way this involves the O-line but when U have time to pass...you have to make the throws and the WRs could help a little more.

#3 --- Confidence --- The early schedule may damage our confidence. BUT...If we pull one out or start 2-2 (most likely)...this could spring board us to a decent season.

#4 --- Did U mention the one game we lose that we shouldn't every year??? Hmm....Sam Houston may be that game??? NAH. This yrs game will be to the Other NSU. Thibidoeaux (sp) is cursed...lol.

#5 --- McNeese (Need I say more??)

If we survive those we may finish #2 or even Win the Southland (I can be optimistic also).

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM
SWAC West.
1. ICON
2. su
3. UAPB
4. TxSU
5. PV

TxSo over PVA&M? That would mean a good season for the Tigers, getting back on the winning road against their rivals from PV...

carney2
May 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Ohio Valley Conference: does anyone have any thoughts?

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
-Mach, I think JSU might be better then you predict.

Keep in mind that the majority of these players have never played together. These will be new players with a new system. They don't even know who will be starting. Now the SWAC East is up for grabs. I believe based on returing talent Valley is the favorite, they've had a depth problem in the past. AAMU basically returns their team, even though they were not a match for the ICON, they will have to get out of the SWAC East. I can't put them, JSU from worst to first, they have a lot of improvements and adjustment to make before that will happen. That is why I put them in the middle of the pack. JSU, may be in a position, talent wise to win a title in 2009.

2 Paul Quinn .........................W
16 Tennessee State...............W
23 Mississippi Valley State.......L
30 Texas Southern.................L

OCTOBER
7 Alabama State...................W
14 Southern University ..........L
21 Grambling State.................L
28 Arkansas Pine Bluff.............L

NOVEMBER
4 Alabama A&M......................L
11 Prairie View.......................W
18 Alcorn St..........................W
5-6 or 6-5 for JSU in 2006 an improvement from 2-9 in 2004.

Tod
May 5th, 2006, 08:48 PM

1. Montana - Although nearly all of the offensive skill players haven't played together, there simply is too much talent for that to be a concern for very long. They may struggle early, but the Griz gel at the right times. Defense will be strong again. Defense was very good at takeaways, and I see no reason they can't be again. And with how much they were on the field last year it made that accomplishment even more impressive (and even more necessary). As mentioned, OLine is the only concern I would have (although it is a big concern - no oline, no running or passing).

--------- teams 2-5 have no real distinction between them and is anyone's guess to the order (or possibility of winning the BSC) ---------

2. Montana State - Big question mark for the entire passing game (QBs and WRs included). But a solid oline and a talented backfield will make the transition in the passing game a smooth one. A very solid DL will anchor the defense, and a quick LB corp will be hard to run past. If the running defense improves from last year, the Bobcats should once again have the #1 rated defense in the Sky. Although losing our DC was a big blow, but only time will tell if Christoff (inside replacement) will be able to do that again.

3. Idaho State - Similar situation as the Cats in terms of offense, except with more proven receivers. If Gutierrez is as advertised, the addition of perhaps one of the most talented backfields in the BSC (Barnett and Cornist) will make for one explosive offense. Receivers have always been good in Poky, as Lacey returns for his senior season. Defense is the main concern for the Bengals, losing two top DEs to graduation.

4. Weber State - Last years version of the Wildcats was a surprisingly decent one. Coach McBride should improve off of that campaign in his 2nd season. Pizzaro is a proven QB, and again a talented backfield of Conway and Hall will be tough to stop. The loss of the McQuistan twins will be a blow, however, and there has to be some concern about the OL. Defense also lost Buchanan finalist Brady Fosmark. But I have to believe McBride could very well be the best coach in the BSC.

5. Portland State - Yes, three IA games may sound like suicide. But they are not all in a row. Sawyer Smith looks to be the man at QB, and will have to have a much better outting than he did a year ago. Key losses include Bodiford (WR) and all-american RB Joe Rubin. But a plethora of talented transfers may be the savior for this Viking squad. Ali may be one of the top rushers in the sky when all is said and done, and Ho'Okano is also having an impressive spring, as did WR transfer Tremayne Kirkland. The Vikings have always have a pretty good defense, and a host of transfers look to bolster this defensive corp.

6. Eastern Washington - No Kimble, no Meyer, no Cwik, thank God. But don't underestimate the Eagles lead by talented coach Paul Wulff. Ryan Cole had a solid season a year ago, and should be more of a focus this year with the loss of sooooo many offensive players. A good group of running backs may have to carry the load for awhile (possibly all season), as the Eagles don't have an official QB in place. Peerboom is the only player to have played at EWU (backing up Meyer), and is competing against two redshirt freshman. There is quite a bit of veterans on this Eagle squad, but I think the loss of Kimble, Meyer, McIntire, and Vijil is going to be too much to overcome, but the Eagles could still finish in the top half.

------------ It is my opinion that anyone below this line will not have a shot at the BSC crown --------------

7. Northern Arizona - I keep saying to myself - Murietta will get back on track. Well, it has become apparent that he is a one-hit wonder, although he should still be considered a talented QB. From reports on spring scrimmages/practices, the running game has been playing well for the Jacks. Xavier Newbill (listed as LB) has the best offensive output as a running back in the final scrim. Unfortunately, NAU does not look to be improved from last year. I don't see any reason why they will finish about .500. They should be 1-2 going into conference, but have a favorable conference schedule (have Weber, MSU and PSU at home).

8. Sacramento State - What can I say about Sac. I see no hope for this team. Ryan Mole had an injury-plagued sophmore season, but should be healthy for his junior campaign. No proven QB, no corp of receivers, a talented defense that will probably underacheive. Also the Hornets are too concerned about getting an invite to the WAC. I see another dysmal season for the Hornets, with a sting to a front-running club (UM, MSU, ISU Weber or PSU).

9. Northern Colorado - I know it is easy to put the newbies into last, but this is a lackluster ballclub that finished 4-7 (0-5 in conference) a year ago, and lost their most notable player to the NFL. They have a challenging OOC schedule (that impressively has no IAs on it) with games at home vs UC Davis and Western Illinois, and a trip to Texas State. Andre Wilson will probably lead the backfield, but a new offensive scheme and new head coach will make the transition into the Big Sky an ardous one. I believe the Big Sky did pick a quality program, but they will need time.

I think UM is ahead at this point, with a smatter of teams that will compete for 2nd or possibly catch UM.

On my blog I plan to release a team preview for each team, one per week, starting after all the spring games have been player.

Excellent! My opinion is that is will all come down to the Griz and the Bengels, although there are several other teams that can pull it off.

Killtoppers90
May 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Ohio Valley Conference: does anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah......Get Out while You can!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

elkmcc
May 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Excellent! My opinion is that is will all come down to the Griz and the Bengels, although there are several other teams that can pull it off.

The info you are basing your prediction on is solid Todd but I've seen ISU "bungle" their hopes of winning the BSC and a playoff spot too many times to put my money on them. It could happen, especially if Montana were to end up soft like they were last season, but I don't see that happening either.

The bobcats are going to find replacing Lulay very difficult, especially when you consider he was the leading passer, rusher, punter, and of course play maker for the bobcats. All those things aside, Lulay had a toughness about him that is very rare in football. The kid never got hurt in spite of playing out of his mind week in and week out. If Kramer uses his replacement qb's like he did Lulay, they will be digging deep from the bench early in the season.

PSU or Weber St. might surprise everyone. Ron McBride totally turned around a hapless 2004 Wildcat team, and that scares me. If the boat load of I-A transers work out for Vikings they could give fits to the rest of the BSC.

All the BSC teams will once again build their season around beating the Griz and for most of them that will once again prove folly. The team that does get the best of the Griz still will not win the BSC as history shows that BSC teams that beat the Griz follow the next week with a huge let down. The program that figures out how to avoid that could win the BSC, maybe.

R.A.
May 5th, 2006, 10:53 PM
-Well you're probably right. I see them as a 5 or 6 win team.

GOKATS
May 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Just my thoughts.

UM is really questionable. They picked up couple of dropdowns and all their problems are solved.:eyebrow: I don't think so. Swogger hasn't been under center other than spring ball in what the griz admit is a complex offensive scheme w/ a drop down WR. It is also reported that Swogger with good size and apparent arm strength is not very mobile.

The Griz have Hilliard and a transfer RB, both of whom have great potential.

The potential flaw I see is the 'O' line. If they can't do their job, Swogger, et al might not even be a factor after the opener against Iowa (I certainly hope that isn't the situation).

MSU also has questions after the loss of Lulay, Gatewood, Bolton, et al. Carpenter and Rolovich (drop down) looked good this spring and the QB battle will only get better this fall. At WR Jefferson is definitely the real deal and we haven't seen Wheaton yet due to surgery, have another coming in the fall in addition to returnees Brown, Toliver, etc. 'Cats' 'O' line looks solid.

'Cats strength will be 'D'. Good depth all the way thru, will probably be the best in the BSC again.

ISU will be tough as always. Kinda the same situation as the Griz w/ a drop down QB w/ potential depending on how things fit together. I don't have enough info on the 'O' line to figure out how it will fit together. Same with their 'D', but they did make things interesting last year (but lost a couple key players). ISU coud be very tough.

Weber St., PSU (really tough schedule) and EWU are probably in the running as well, and NAU usually comes up with a surprise or two.

No offense intended, but I just don't see Sac or UNC in the running this year.

Overall, I think the BSC is up for grabs this year.

Tod
May 6th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Just my thoughts.

UM is really questionable. They picked up couple of dropdowns and all their problems are solved.:eyebrow: I don't think so. Swogger hasn't been under center other than spring ball in what the griz admit is a complex offensive scheme w/ a drop down WR. It is also reported that Swogger with good size and apparent arm strength is not very mobile.

The Griz have Hilliard and a transfer RB, both of whom have great potential.

The potential flaw I see is the 'O' line. If they can't do their job, Swogger, et al might not even be a factor after the opener against Iowa (I certainly hope that isn't the situation).

I can't comment on MSU, other than they should be really tough on D this year.

It's not just picking up a couple of drop downs. While we predict and hope for big results from the drop downs, if nothing else we still have all of our QBs and WRs from last year, minus Jon Talmage, who was an excellent receiver, but not the entire arsenal. If the "drop down" doesn't work out, we'll still be ok at WR. If Swogger doesn't work out, at the least we have both starters from last year, who, if nothing else, should be better than last year based on age and experience.

To say that Hilliard has potential is selling him short. If he decided not to return, he'd still be one of the most prolific runners in UM history. It's not potential at this level, it's greatness. And he has it.

Although I'll agree with you that the O line if our biggest (no pun intended) area to worry about, if you look back at the last 15 years or so, the years that UM has been good, the O line has been our most consistent area, I think. We've had skill players everywhere, but our O line has always been at least adequate, if not a strength of the team.

While I am concerned, I think we'll be OK on the O line, because we've always been at least OK.

umassfan
May 6th, 2006, 02:44 AM
GannonFan... you say we lost alot on both sides of the ball... do you really know what we lost? By that statement it proves you are as clueless about UMass as you say i am about Delaware. We lost a TE, OL, and WR(3rd best) on offense. On D we lost our FS, CB LB, and two DL. DT and Shannon James will be the only key losses and hard to replace. We have a TE transfer from UConn. Had injury probs on the oline last season that caused depth, and have a JUCO WR who will step in as our 3rd WR without loosing a step. Also we had a transfer RB last season who got hurt in the first game and redshirted the year. He will take over for Cobbs as backup running back. He has looked really impressive this spring.

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
1. Lehigh 10-1 (5-1), if they split with Colgate and Lafayette they have a good chance of winning the rest of their games. Villanova has been '"ehh" at best and should be no better or maybe worse then UD last year. Umass should be a tougher game for Colgate. These are the type of games Cohen is suppose to make the difference in. He has come very close the last couple of years at Penn at beating the wildcats and Lehigh the last couple years has had considerably better teams than Penn. The rest of the nonleague games they should be considerable favorites, even Harvard. Not that i think they're a Top 10 Nationally in the pre-season but their schedule sets up better than everyone else IMO, thus the 10-1 record. If Lehigh and Colgate switched schedules i'd switch the record as well.
2. Colgate 9-2 (5-1), My guess is the beat Lehigh and lose to Umass and Lafayette. I think the 'Pards will get over the hump this year. Colgate should run the rest of their non-league schedule, no Dartmouths or CCSU games this year.
7. Georgetown 3-8 (0-5)

Six years in the PL and you can't think of anything to add?

LBPop
May 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM

As difficult as this is for me to write, I think you are being too kind to the Hoyas. I have often observed that the talent differential between Georgetown and the "Big Three" in the PL was not nearly as great as the performance differential. Well, so what? Until they win, the Hoyas should be highly suspect.

Of course, when you believe as I do, the obvious solution is to make a coaching change which, of course, Georgetown did. So, if the team doesn't improve substantially it will be for one of the following reasons:

1. The new coach doesn't have the goods. (I can tell you that this will NOT be the reason.)

2. This observer doesn't know diddly about football talent. (Much more likely)

3. The rest of the league improved greatly. (Sure some teams have, but not everyone)

Three of the Hoyas' first four games are winnable (I'm assuming Brown was more than just Nick Hartigan). We should know a lot about this "new" team when they travel to Hamilton. I already have my tickets and they're non-refundable, so I'll be there whether Georgetown is 0-4 or 4-0. :nod:

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM

This place was not "crying" for a shake up, unless you've confused football with basketball. The problem Bob Benson faced is the same one Kevin Kelly will deal with first hand--depth. When you're offering a fourth of what every other PL team is offering for grants, you lack the depth at key positions to contend.

Last season (Elliott Uzelac's offensive strategies notwithstanding), Georgetown lost their #1, #2, and #4 running back options before game one. It's backup QB quit the team to focus on baseball, and didn't even make that team. The offense failed to score a point in the first quarter all season. The fact that the team won four games at all, averaging just over ten points a game speaks to Benson's significant defensive abilities, but it still takes offense to win games.

Kelly's chief task, even above the lack of movement on the home facility (and don't expect any changes at the MSF this season), is to get depth, and that takes money. If Bob Benson had 50 equivalencies, I have no doubt, none, that he would not have had a 7-8 win team in the PL, and the same goes for Coach Kelly. When or if that happens, however, the staff has to work with what they've got.

Georgetown's chief problem this year will again be offense. The running game has one returning back with more than 40 yards last season, and no WR prospect is clearly at the top of any PL list. The defense will be there as usual, but it takes both sides of the ball. When your defense is averaging 34-35 minutes on the field, and the offense clocks in with a 24%third down conversion, bad things follow. Old coach or new, those are stats to watch carefully.

HPCAT
May 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
From top to bottom, I think the Southland Conference is a VERY balanced league. It really depends on how you play on the road in this conference. You have to be on your game when conference play arrives. Here is my take for what it is worth......

TX State... Who knows, but with the loss of 28 seniors including Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans to name a few, it could be a long season. The home schedule will give them the wins they need, but road sked could be the downfall.

This is really getting strange, but I believe I may have found a point to agree with a Sam fan about. xlolx

TXST may indeed have a long season, as I foresee the Bobcats playing once again in front of a national ESPN audience Thanksgiving weekend.

TXST lost about 13 Seniors (11 Starters) that saw quality playing time, some never hardly saw the field. Most of these starters have already been replaced in the Spring game, for example, our leading rusher didn't even start last year, and we return 4 of our top 7 receivers. The starting QB has valuable experience, almost won against Baylor in his first start as a FR two years ago, I would not be suprised if he has more rushing yards this year than Nealy did last year.

I actually like our road SLC schedule, I can tailgate with my buddies from McNeese, by far our toughest road game, except for maybe Kentucky. If we come away with our first 3 game win streak against MSU, drinks are definitely on me.

IMHO, NSU's program is having a few down years in which they will not compete for the title, and I believe they lost as many seniors as TXST did, and more starters, not sure on that one. And I can finally take out to a steak dinner the fine folks that helped my family during the Rita evacuaton.

The glaring thing I see about Sam, is not who they have coming back but who they lost, as in their top offensive player/rusher and probably their 2 best defensive players, and that is off a bad team. So, unless you have some diamonds in the rough you are hiding I see another losing season, and a long one in that you can not wait for it to be over, and you hope Bailiff takes a knee to run out the clock to show mercy in Huntsville this year. ;) But, that is just IMHO.

I love it summer football smack. :hurray:

I am reallly enjoying reading the opinions of everybody on the board, especially since no one predicted TXST to be a top 4 team last year, not even in the top 25, and no one gives them much of a chance this year. I like the odds, can lightening strick twice ? :)

:twocents:

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
The glaring thing I see about Sam, is not who they have coming back but who they lost, as in their top offensive player/rusher and probably their 2 best defensive players, and that is off a bad team. So, unless you have some diamonds in the rough you are hiding I see another losing season, and a long one in that you can not wait for it to be over, and you hope Bailiff takes a knee to run out the clock to show mercy in Huntsville this year. ;) But, that is just IMHO.

Two best defensive players? Who the heck is that? Mayhew was second-team All-SLC. Who was the other? Mikulec? Well, he didn't play all last year! Herron, maybe Griffin? I don't think Bearkat fans would agree.

Kats lose four total guys on the defensive two-deep. Four off the offensive two-deep, two of whom are RBs. SHSU came within one play of beating the Bobcats in San Marcos, knocking them out of the playoffs and we have a history as an awful road team. I was shocked by the result myself, but SHSU could've realistically won that game.

In fact, SHSU should've beat NW ST at home last year and McNeese on the road (lost by five after atleast two bad coaching decisions). McNeese, NW ST and TxSt were three of the top four teams last year. We have two of those games (McN, TxSt) at home this year as well as Nicholls. Very favorable.

Kats get anything less than three wins in SLC, it'll be dissapointing. No reason Kats don't go 3-3 in SLC. A play or two go the Kats way, they could end up 4-2.

I think this team is much improved over last year's. The defense should be fine if they stay healthy. Offense is a year older at WR where lots of young guys were starters (i.e freshmen Christian and Wells). TE will be sturdy with Martin, an all-SLC candidate for sure. OL is bigger than last year and they did pretty good last year, even with the youth. If Kats can have a consistent passer behind the center, they should be fine. That'll open up the running lanes for Audelin or Mays.

Pate, Allen and now Daughtery all have atleast a year of QB with the Kats. Daughtery struggled grasping the system, but now he has no excuse.

McNeese75
May 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I like the odds, can lightening strick twice ? :)

:nono:

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
This is really getting strange, but I believe I may have found a point to agree with a Sam fan about. xlolx

TXST may indeed have a long season, as I foresee the Bobcats playing once again in front of a national ESPN audience Thanksgiving weekend.

TXST lost about 13 Seniors (11 Starters) that saw quality playing time, some never hardly saw the field. Most of these starters have already been replaced in the Spring game, for example, our leading rusher didn't even start last year, and we return 4 of our top 7 receivers. The starting QB has valuable experience, almost won against Baylor in his first start as a FR two years ago, I would not be suprised if he has more rushing yards this year than Nealy did last year.

I actually like our road SLC schedule, I can tailgate with my buddies from McNeese, by far our toughest road game, except for maybe Kentucky. If we come away with our first 3 game win streak against MSU, drinks are definitely on me.

IMHO, NSU's program is having a few down years in which they will not compete for the title, and I believe they lost as many seniors as TXST did, and more starters, not sure on that one. And I can finally take out to a steak dinner the fine folks that helped my family during the Rita evacuaton.

I love it summer football smack. :hurray:

I am reallly enjoying reading the opinions of everybody on the board, especially since no one predicted TXST to be a top 4 team last year, not even in the top 25, and no one gives them much of a chance this year. I like the odds, can lightening strick twice ? :)

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

i wouldn't mind sneaking up on everyone again especially since everyone already has seemingly ridden us off. people tend to forget what we have coming back...but whatever. xlolx

FL connection
May 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I'll try a pre-season OVC prognostics:

EIU- Return 17 of 22 Starters....big game at EKU that should clear the sky in an improving OVC

EKU- host both EIU and JSU this year......schedule in their favor....good nucleus return

JSU- Will have a tough time winning at the two sites above but on any given Saturday.......

the rest fight it out for the remaining spots.........connection out!!

McNeese75
May 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

i wouldn't mind sneaking up on everyone again especially since everyone already has seemingly ridden us off. people tend to forget what we have coming back...but whatever. xlolx

Do you really think you are going to sneak up on anyone this year????: smh : Everyone will be waiting for you. It just goes with the territory :nod:

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Do you really think you are going to sneak up on anyone this year????: smh : Everyone will be waiting for you. It just goes with the territory :nod:

well, since everyone's riding us off, i'll consider it sneakin up on everyone if we do have a successful season (i.e. how nicholls tends to steal a few games every year). :nod:

i mean, it's not expected that we repeat as SLC champions (since we lost nealy and evans)...so i guess the only way we could repeat is if we sneak up on folks.xlolx

colgate13
May 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM
The offense failed to score a point in the first quarter all season... averaging just over ten points a game ....

That to me is crying! We've done this before DFW (were my style of writing comes off harsher than I mean), so please know I think good things of the Hoyas!

McNeese75
May 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM
well, since everyone's riding us off, i'll consider it sneakin up on everyone if we do have a successful season (i.e. how nicholls tends to steal a few games every year). :nod:

i mean, it's not expected that we repeat as SLC champions (since we lost nealy and evans)...so i guess the only way we could repeat is if we sneak up on folks.xlolx

Well, you better sneak really really low cause I don't think anyone is going to take the Cats lightly this year. :D

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Well, you better sneak really really low cause I don't think anyone is going to take the Cats lightly this year. :D

haha, ok. i'll take that as a compliment.

blackfordpu
May 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM

It is "write off" not ride off. There is that Tx State edumacation for ya.

No one is going to write you off this season. Everyone will be gunning to beat the defending SLC champs. Don't worry about the lack of respect you say you are getting. SHSU didn't get much after the 2004 season and heading into the 2005 one. Though it turned out to be much deserved, the lack of respect was there in the spring of 2005.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I am going to say that there will be a Southland team competing in the I-AA semi-finals for the third year in a row.

I doubt it'll be us...:(

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 7th, 2006, 11:38 PM
It is "write off" not ride off. There is that Tx State edumacation for ya.

No one is going to write you off this season. Everyone will be gunning to beat the defending SLC champs. Don't worry about the lack of respect you say you are getting. SHSU didn't get much after the 2004 season and heading into the 2005 one. Though it turned out to be much deserved, the lack of respect was there in the spring of 2005.

oh god...here we go again.:bang:xidiotx

sorry, i'm a musician, not a english major.

and i'm not wooried about the lack of respect. fact is that regardless of who you are, you have to prove yourself on the field.

May 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=TxState_GO_CATS!]well, since everyone's riding us off, i'll consider it sneakin up on everyone if we do have a successful season (i.e. how nicholls tends to steal a few games every year).

didn't nicholls beat txstate last year?

blackfordpu
May 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
oh god...here we go again.:bang:xidiotx

sorry, i'm a musician, not a english major.

and i'm not wooried about the lack of respect. fact is that regardless of who you are, you have to prove yourself on the field.

Hey, football season is coming fast. Just trying to get the rivelry going. :rotateh:

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 9th, 2006, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=TxState_GO_CATS!]well, since everyone's riding us off, i'll consider it sneakin up on everyone if we do have a successful season (i.e. how nicholls tends to steal a few games every year).

didn't nicholls beat txstate last year?

yah...what i meant by that was the fact that no one EVER expects nicholls to win the conference, but they are always in the hunt (mostly because of their "unique" offense), and tend to beat the teams at the very top when they are in the second tier of the conference race.

kats89
May 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM

You are going to say that the game in Huntsville will not be a tough road game?xlolx

We will be much improved this year. If we are not in hunt in 2006, Whitten better be out searching for a new gig because I don't forsee the AD putting up with another subpar season.:twocents:

Tx State is not going to sneak up anyone. :nono: You won conference last year. Bullseye on your backs now.

Brent
May 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Two best defensive players? Who the heck is that? Mayhew was second-team All-SLC. Who was the other? Mikulec? Well, he didn't play all last year! Herron, maybe Griffin? I don't think Bearkat fans would agree.

Kats lose four total guys on the defensive two-deep. Four off the offensive two-deep, two of whom are RBs. SHSU came within one play of beating the Bobcats in San Marcos, knocking them out of the playoffs and we have a history as an awful road team. I was shocked by the result myself, but SHSU could've realistically won that game.

In fact, SHSU should've beat NW ST at home last year and McNeese on the road (lost by five after atleast two bad coaching decisions). McNeese, NW ST and TxSt were three of the top four teams last year. We have two of those games (McN, TxSt) at home this year as well as Nicholls. Very favorable.

Kats get anything less than three wins in SLC, it'll be dissapointing. No reason Kats don't go 3-3 in SLC. A play or two go the Kats way, they could end up 4-2.

I think this team is much improved over last year's. The defense should be fine if they stay healthy. Offense is a year older at WR where lots of young guys were starters (i.e freshmen Christian and Wells). TE will be sturdy with Martin, an all-SLC candidate for sure. OL is bigger than last year and they did pretty good last year, even with the youth. If Kats can have a consistent passer behind the center, they should be fine. That'll open up the running lanes for Audelin or Mays.

Pate, Allen and now Daughtery all have atleast a year of QB with the Kats. Daughtery struggled grasping the system, but now he has no excuse.

If I was a SHSU fan, Id be worried about the QB position. I dont think Whitten is too happy about his situation at QB. I also heard Allen wont be around for the season. Guess we will see when August rolls around for practices.

Demon Fan
May 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I doubt it'll be us...:(
I beg to differ with you, fellow demon. We will be just fine this year; you can book it!

Brent
May 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I beg to differ with you, fellow demon. We will be just fine this year; you can book it!

Right now, who looks to be your QB?? Meeks?? Santos???

HPCAT
May 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
You are going to say that the game in Huntsville will not be a tough road game?xlolx

We will be much improved this year. If we are not in hunt in 2006, Whitten better be out searching for a new gig because I don't forsee the AD putting up with another subpar season.:twocents:

Tx State is not going to sneak up anyone. :nono: You won conference last year. Bullseye on your backs now.

Actually what I said was that I believe the MSU or Kentucky games would be the most difficult road games for TXST.

The SHSU game will be hard to judge as it will depend on how competitive both teams are at the end of the year.

TXST will not nut up this year as they have gotten the playoff monkey off their back, that IMHO was partially to blame for playing their worse game of the year, and giving Sam 5 fumbles last year.

Demon Fan
May 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
If it were based on performance in the Spring Game, it would be a red-shirt freshman from the Lafayette area (Broussard, La.) by the name of Richard (Rick) Charpentier (pronounced Shar-PON-shay) who put up some impressive numbers against a friendly force. But, he hasn't really been "under fire" yet. Meeks has the most experience and savy; Santos probably more raw talent. Bottom line--only time and Fall practice will tell. A nice problem to have, but a problem none the less.

ekufbfan
May 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah......Get Out while You can!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
While I agree with that and so do many EKU fans, isn't that smack and doesn't it belong somewhere else? Hey, I have been axed for "much less" (information) regarding what's going on with a certain frat down in topperland...you topper fans know what I am talking about!:D

But here goes with the OVC

1. EKU: If it doesn't happen this year, FIRE the Coach! Hope has been talking a return to "Glory" and it's now time to produce. Good home schedule. Returning 3rd year QB Greco, have a great receiver in Bugg, three strong RB's, including a highly touted running back transfer from NC State and veteran O line. I see a more balanced offense this year, something we have been lacking in the past. Our defense has been strong in the past couple of years, but spent too much time on the field trying to get us out of trouble the offense got us in. With a returning strong D and a more balanced attack I see EKU as THE TEAM in the OVC. We don't take the OVC this year, make the playoffs and make some noise, there will be some unhappy folks in Richmond!
2. JSU: Football is BIG in Alabama, but they come to Richmond this year!
3. EIU: Defending champs, but they play in Richmond too!
4. SEMO: Have been in the upper half the past couple of years
5. TSU: If they get their act together could be a contender (the game is in Richmond)
6. MSU: New Coach and a question mark regarding transfers which they have a history of depending on (game's in Richmond also)
7. Samford: Another Alabama school, could finish higher
8. TTU: I don't see them finishing last
9. Tenn-Martin: Made a tiny blimp on the radar last season, but their coach has left for Murray State
10. APSU: Can't compete this year for title and many people in Richmond are wondering what they add to the OVC and what were the conference leaders thinking when they let them back in !?!:confused:

GO EASTERN! BEAT western!!!

JDC325
May 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Georgia Southern
4. Western Carolina
5. Chattanooga
6. Wofford
7. Citadel
8. Elon

Great post. I think if Wofford, Chattanooga or Western are going to step up to challenge the big three this is the year for them to do it. They will not get the stars to line up for them like this to often. I think the big three are more at risk collectively than they ever have been with ASU and Furman losing the best QB's in the SoCon and with GSU going the biggest transition a program could go through in one year. The "lower" teams better take advantage because this window will not be open long. :nono:

Killtoppers90
May 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
While I agree with that and so do many EKU fans, isn't that smack and doesn't it belong somewhere else? Hey, I have been axed for "much less" (information) regarding what's going on with a certain frat down in topperland...you topper fans know what I am talking about!:D

Dude, that barely qualifies as smack as much as it does as fact! And if it chaps your ass THAT much, you really need to get thicker skin!

ekufbfan
May 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Dude, that barely qualifies as smack as much as it does as fact! And if it chaps your ass THAT much, you really need to get thicker skin!

Pretty touchy yourself. Of course, I would not expect anything less from wku "person". And did I not say I agree concerning the OVC. My point is what you wrote (excuse me) smacks as 'smack' and as does your "eku sucks". But I certainly understand your emotions regarding EKU, you guys aren't over EKU as much as you like to protest to the contray! One more thing Dude, have you ever thought this could be posted be "dudette"?

GOOOOOOOOO COLONELS!! WHIP western's azzzzzzzzzzz!:hurray:

Killtoppers90
May 14th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Pretty touchy yourself. Of course, I would not expect anything less from wku "person". And did I not say I agree concerning the OVC. My point is what you wrote (excuse me) smacks as 'smack' and as does your "eku sucks". But I certainly understand your emotions regarding EKU, you guys aren't over EKU as much as you like to protest to the contray! One more thing Dude, have you ever thought this could be posted be "dudette"?

Honestly wouldn't care what gender you are or if you agreed with me about the OVC. And it didn't smack of anything but honesty from me. My EKU tag has been here since I signed up several years ago. I hope we are NEVER over EKU - that the best game(hatred) in the southeast if you asked me. It wouldn't be football season without it

ekufbfan
May 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Honestly wouldn't care what gender you are or if you agreed with me about the OVC. And it didn't smack of anything but honesty from me. My EKU tag has been here since I signed up several years ago. I hope we are NEVER over EKU - that the best game(hatred) in the southeast if you asked me. It wouldn't be football season without it

THE RIVALRY LIVES!!:hurray:
GOOOOOOOOO COLONELS! WHIP western!:D

Killtoppers90
May 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
THE RIVALRY LIVES!!

I think this might even be EKU's year to get over on WKU - I hear you guys are bringing back a good amount of starters from last season. Should be another slobber-knocker! I am going to try to make it up for the game if I can. How's that for smack?

ekufbfan
May 15th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I think this might even be EKU's year to get over on WKU - I hear you guys are bringing back a good amount of starters from last season. Should be another slobber-knocker! I am going to try to make it up for the game if I can. How's that for smack?

It would make my day to put an old fashioned butt whipping on wku! Can't wait! Nothing is more fun than a good day against the toppers!

blur2005
May 21st, 2006, 03:19 PM
Any word on the Great West? I'm trying to do my preseason poll.

RabidRabbit
May 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM
Any word on the Great West? I'm trying to do my preseason poll.

Hey Blur! check out the whole section devoted to GWFC. This string has a lot of good projections and why.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9558 :bow:

colonelblitz
May 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM

Killtoppers90.... Hope you get paroled in time for the game.:) Blitz

igo4uni
May 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM

The up and coming rivalry game for WKU is vs. Northern Iowa. We beat WKU last year, and hope to do so again in the fabulous UNI-Dome!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
You do realize how young we will be in SEVERAL key areas, don't you?

We should be EXCELLENT at WR with many experienced players but we will have a QB who has never started a college game, regardless of who wins the spot.

We have lots of talent, but most of it is Junior/Sophomore...I do appreciate the respect that you showed my alma mater though.

Didn't Meeks start vs McNeese????

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM

Far as I know it's Meeks.... hands down.

Killtoppers90
May 22nd, 2006, 06:49 AM

If I cannot get paroled, I will just have to break out and get there. Any chance of you guys allowing a Topper to tailgate with you folks? I'd love a chance to meet some of you guys on here.

ekufbfan
May 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
If I cannot get paroled, I will just have to break out and get there. Any chance of you guys allowing a Topper to tailgate with you folks? I'd love a chance to meet some of you guys on here.

Sure, we would love to feast on some 'topper , come on over if you can take the heat! Just joking. Although we don't like wku one little bit, we are still pretty good folks and we would love a little tailgating with a 'top's fan!:nod:

Just don't show up AFTER the game, because there's going to be big time grief for someone.

GO EASTERN!! BEAT western!!

colonelblitz
May 22nd, 2006, 05:58 PM

Sure!! Come on up. We'll find some way of making a fool out of ourselves. Just leave the goats at home.:smiley_wi

Killtoppers90
May 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Sure!! Come on up. We'll find some way of making a fool out of ourselves. Just leave the goats at home.:smiley_wi

I'll do my best. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

CCUCheer
May 22nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
For the Big South... I think (and hope)

1. Coastal Carolina
2. Charleston Southern
3. Gardner Webb
4. Liberty
5. VMI

GO CHANTS!!!! :-) XoXo

McNeese75
May 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Didn't Meeks start vs McNeese????

Meeks Who????? Never been a Meeks here that I know of

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 22nd, 2006, 10:40 PM
Meeks Who????? Never been a Meeks here that I know of

The NSU Qb that started in place of the injured Vinson when we played yall last year....

McNeese75
May 22nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
The NSU Qb that started in place of the injured Vinson when we played yall last year....

xlolx , Oh, that Meeks

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
xlolx , Oh, that Meeks

:rolleyes: Glad U amused :nod:

Freightliner
May 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
:rolleyes: Glad U amused :nod:

We had a Meeks...played corner and on Special Teams

mebbe thats the one youre talking about?:smiley_wi :rotateh: :rotateh:

McNeese75
May 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
We had a Meeks...played corner and on Special Teams

mebbe thats the one youre talking about?:smiley_wi :rotateh: :rotateh:

Nope, he is talking about the one that wore purple and contributed to the MSU win last year :D

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Nope, he is talking about the one that wore purple and contributed to the MSU win last year :D

:rolleyes: Yeah....that one.

Hopefully that changes in Turpin this yr.

McNeese75
May 25th, 2006, 01:10 AM
:rolleyes: Yeah....that one.

Hopefully that changes in Turpin this yr.

:nono: We won't need him this year, we should be just fine on our own :D

Demon Fan
May 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM
:nono: We won't need him this year, we should be just fine on our own :D

I just hope that both teams are healthy for this one. Don't need, or want any excuses from either side; once the dust settles.

McNeese75
May 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I just hope that both teams are healthy for this one. Don't need, or want any excuses from either side; once the dust settles.

xprost2x

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Good point.

Jag4Life
May 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM
SWAC

*East*

1)Alcorn - Return alot of talent this year on both sides of the ball. They are going to have to snatch some road wins this year because of only having 3 HOME GAMES. If they can pick them up I can only see them winning the East.
2)MVSU - Well what can I say about them? If they win early & often they might be in a tie with Alcorn
3)JSU - They recruited well. They picked up a few of good quality transfers. The REAL QUESTION IS, how will JSU respond to having a good coach in Comegy, and how well will they play in the month of September.
4)AAMU - Always have had a MILLION DOLLAR DEFENSE, but the Offense is just worth a FOOD STAMP. They had best to start winning or they are gonna be right with their cousin Bama St.
5)Alabama St - The only thing I can say is that MIRACLES can always happen!!! :nod:

*West*

1)SU - Played a young team last year, Things are gonna be different.
2) GSU - It has always been about GSU & SU winning the West. Their team might be young, but it is NEVER good to sleep on them.
3)PV - I look forward to PV having a winning season this year.
4)TXSU - I think they can snatch 5 wins this season. Only if they quit losing @ the last minute.
5)UAPB - MICKEY DEAN can't do it all by his self!!!!!

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
SWAC

*East*

1)Alcorn - Return alot of talent this year on both sides of the ball. They are going to have to snath some road wins this year because of only having 3 HOME GAMES. If they can pick them up I can only see them winning the East.
2)MVSU - Well what can I say about them? If they win early & often they might be in a tie with Alcorn
3)JSU - They recruited well. They picked up a few of good quality transfers. The REAL QUESTION IS, how will JSU respond to having a good coach in Comegy, and how well will they play in the month of September.
4)AAMU - Always have had a MILLION DOLLAR DEFENSE, but the Offense is just worth a FOOD STAMP. They had best to start winning or they are gonna be right with their cousin Bama St.
5)Alabama St - The only thing I can say is that MIRACLES can always happen!!! :nod:

*West*

1)SU - Played a young team last year, Things are gonna be different.
2) GSU - It has always been about GSU & SU winning the West. Their team might be young, but it is NEVER good to sleep on them.
3)PV - I look forward to PV having a winning season this year.
4)TXSU - I think they can snatch 5 wins this season. Only if they quit losing @ the last minute.
5)UAPB - MICKEY DEAN can't do it all by his self!!!!!

Should the East side of the SWAC even matter anymore :D .

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Should the East side of the SWAC even matter anymore :D .

Last I checked, only Southern and Grambling mattered on the SWAC West side of things...:thumbsup:

Must admit, very interested in what Comegy is going to do...:hurray:

Jackluv
May 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
im biased but iv seen them all play so this is my view

1. Montana - too much talent and Swogger will be amazing
2. MSU - Loss of Lulay will take a toll/Can Rolovich take over? Running game was nothing super impressive. he was their team. They can stand on their defense tho.
3. Weber St. - will surprise every team they play. McBride has them going in the right direction
4. ISU - If Guttierez does what he should do. their offense wont stop.
5./6.- EWU - Their explosive offense is no more but Wuff is a good coach.
6./5. NAU - Injuries killed jacks last year especially on oline which destroyed any offensive production. Murrieta will have a much improved season
7. PSU - Oline is always strong but cant replace the bruiser Rubin.
8. UNC - they will be Sac because of their RB situation. Thats all they've got though
9. Sac - no wins in conference. Moosh is gonna get fired soon. he cant win.

i think NAU and EWU could switch easy.

Biggest Surprises of 06' season = Guttierez, UNC not being last place, WSU beating montana, Murrieta leading NAU too over .500 season.

i also think that Swogger will probably get MVP and Gutt Newcomer of the Year. im not sure about Defensive and off. tho

Jag4Life
May 28th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Last I checked, only Southern and Grambling mattered on the SWAC West side of things...:thumbsup:

Must admit, very interested in what Comegy is going to do...:hurray:
Its going to be all about the MS school this year in the East. Either JSU,Alcorn, or MVSU is gonna win the Eastern Division......NOT THE WHOLE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!

skinny_uncle
May 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM
1) Youngstown State - Killer D
2) UNI - solid across the board
3) WKU - a few questions but Lerron and Haddix back
4) Il. State - came on strong all season but a question or two
5) SIU - Starting QB gone but still stud runners
6) In. State - They are gettting better
7) Missouri St. - Still in a tough conference but also getting better
8) WIU - Someone has to finish last

I think if things go well, the gate will get 4 teams in the playoffs.
I'm glad someone had the nerve to predict what should be a wide open race in the Gateway. My thoughts:
1. Youngstown could be a playoff team this year, but I don't think they will win the league.
2. Indiana State could get better and still not win a game this year.
3. Illinois State needs more consistency than they showed last year to contend.
4. Barring multiple injuries, the Salukis should have the best running game in the league. They will need it to keep an inexperienced D off the field.
5. UNI looks like the early favorite to me, but in this league anything can happen.

ncbears
May 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
im biased but iv seen them all play so this is my view

1. Montana - too much talent and Swogger will be amazing
2. MSU - Loss of Lulay will take a toll/Can Rolovich take over? Running game was nothing super impressive. he was their team. They can stand on their defense tho.
3. Weber St. - will surprise every team they play. McBride has them going in the right direction
4. ISU - If Guttierez does what he should do. their offense wont stop.
5./6.- EWU - Their explosive offense is no more but Wuff is a good coach.
6./5. NAU - Injuries killed jacks last year especially on oline which destroyed any offensive production. Murrieta will have a much improved season
7. PSU - Oline is always strong but cant replace the bruiser Rubin.
8. UNC - they will be Sac because of their RB situation. Thats all they've got though
9. Sac - no wins in conference. Moosh is gonna get fired soon. he cant win.

i think NAU and EWU could switch easy.

Biggest Surprises of 06' season = Guttierez, UNC not being last place, WSU beating montana, Murrieta leading NAU too over .500 season.

i also think that Swogger will probably get MVP and Gutt Newcomer of the Year. im not sure about Defensive and off. tho

I can agree with much of that. ALthough,to say all we have is our running backs is stretching it.