PDA

View Full Version : WCU Cats Uninspiring in Homecoming Debacle

Appaholic
October 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
When I first started covering Western Carolina’s football team in 2000, excitement was in the air.

Every Saturday, whether the opponent was a Division II squad or the No. 1 team in all of Division I-AA, WCU looked not only capable of winning — the Catamounts seemed to believe they could.

That squad went 4-7 overall and 3-5 in the Southern Conference but would have easily thumped the Catamounts who showed up Saturday by four touchdowns or more.

In 12 years of covering this program, I have never seen the Catamounts play so poorly at home as they did in a 35-7 loss to The Citadel — not even when D-II Tusculum chopped the Cats up like firewood last fall.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111023/SPORTS/310230069/Goode-column-Cats-uninspiring-homecoming-debacle?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

Appaholic
October 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
The vultures are circling.....sounds like a uniform update is in order.....maybe black jerseys....

Appaholic
October 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Bulldogs dominant on ground

CULLOWHEE — Long after most of the homecoming crowd left Whitmire Stadium Saturday evening, a young Western Carolina fan jumped on an inflatable thunderstick lying on the concrete stands.

The resulting explosion was louder than any roar the Catamounts inspired their backers to make during their game against The Citadel.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111023/SPORTS/310230075/Citadel-clobbers-Cats?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

gasoutherneagle
October 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe they oughta go back to the U of Washington "lookalike" uniforms. At least, then they'll LOOK like the winning WCU teams of old.

Cats4life
October 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
It was a very bad game yesterday and i got the sense that it would be ugly as soon as The Citadel returned the opening kickoff to their side of the field (he had one man left to beat for a touchdown). Major changes are coming and it is clear now more than ever that its time to bag the wag. That being said I will be with this team all the way to the end. Hopefully we see more disciplined football when we travel to Samford this weekend and from there who knows what could happen.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Is it really not possible that WCU's admin is part of the problem? A good coach can't do much without a supportive administration and from what I hear the admin. at Western isn't very supportive.

gasoutherneagle
October 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Is it really not possible that WCU's admin is part of the problem? A good coach can't do much without a supportive administration and from what I hear the admin. at Western isn't very supportive.
...or boosters willing to pony up some dough when needed for facilities improvement projects, etc.

Cats4life
October 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
We have a new chancellor this year and he seems to be very interested in turning the football program around. He said at the beginning of the year that he would be evaluating the program at the end of the season and that if there wasn't at least improvement then changes would be made. It is clear that on the field we have not improved but Wagner has done a decent job of improving off the field issues and the overall gpa of the team, that being said it comes down to wins and losses on the field and to that extent its been a horrible tenure for him. As for the boosters giving the dough I believe that the money is being put into to the program our latest addition was the video board which looks great but in my opinion the next thing that will need to be renovated is the press box, maybe we could put a few suites up there or something because it is getting old. I believe that if and when we get a new coach he could be coming into a decent situation. We have a young football team with some upside, pretty decent facilities, a fan base that wants a winner desperately and we are in a good location to recruit but we shouldnt be looking that far into the future we have to support our boys this upcoming weekend first and foremost.

catamount man
October 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
I just find it amazing that the OP has nothing better to do than to post, Oh I don't know, the 5th or 6th article this week about a team that he doesn't even consider a threat when he should be more interested in his own alma mater and how they are once again having a good year.

Then again this person would actually have to get off his *** and actually drive to Boone to actually watch his alma mater other than the one token time a year to actually have an opinion about them I guess.

But again, that's just my opinion and I won't say anymore than that. I could, but I won't.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
They need an identity....that doesn't have the term "suck" when describing them

GATA
October 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I remember watching WCU vs. Tech in the first game of the season and immediately turning to my brother and saying "THIS IS THE WORST WCU TEAM I'VE EVER SEEN."

...think about that. The WORST WCU team I've EVER seen.

Appaholic
October 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I just find it amazing that the OP has nothing better to do than to post, Oh I don't know, the 5th or 6th article this week about a team that he doesn't even consider a threat when he should be more interested in his own alma mater and how they are once again having a good year.

Then again this person would actually have to get off his *** and actually drive to Boone to actually watch his alma mater other than the one token time a year to actually have an opinion about them I guess.

But again, that's just my opinion and I won't say anymore than that. I could, but I won't.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

They are articles from the newspaper in the town I live in. I post all the FCS articles from that paper as I run across them...App's, Wofford's....any FCS. You can blame the messenger all you want, but the truth about your program cannot be denied even by the local cheerleading rag.

I wish you were as concerned about YOUR players showing up for the games as you are about me showing up for an App game.

Smitty
October 24th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Early reports are saying that Chip Smith was fired this morning.

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM
They are articles from the newspaper in the town I live in. I post all the FCS articles from that paper as I run across them...App's, Wofford's....any FCS. You can blame the messenger all you want, but the truth about your program cannot be denied even by the local cheerleading rag.

I wish you were as concerned about YOUR players showing up for the games as you are about me showing up for an App game.

I'm pretty sure he was meaning the writer of the article; he didn't bother going to WCU games, except the homecoming game and he based his article solely on that. I saw it as a critique of the article, that the author used his one experience this year at WCU to bash the program further, but I could be mistaken

kdinva
October 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Early reports are saying that Chip Smith was fired this morning.

http://www.catamountsports.com/genrel/102411aaa.html

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
hmmmm....If I was the new AD, I'd fire Wagner, keep the OC for the sake of continuity , and hire a defensive minded head coach

catamount man
October 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
He knows exactly what and who I was talking about. I'm a season ticket holder for WCU so I know exactly what's going on. My point is you run your mouth consistently about how bad our program is, trust me, we know how bad it is, yet are an alum of a team that sports 3 national titles and yet somehow never go to a game to support ASU for whatever reason, but let a WCU article come out and you're the 1st one on it. I could care less about the ACT, our chancellor took a good 1st step this morning. We'll be fine.

Smitty
October 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM
hmmmm....If I was the new AD, I'd fire Wagner, keep the OC for the sake of continuity , and hire a defensive minded head coach

That is what I am hoping for. We would be more competitive this year if our defense didn't allow 400+ yards every game.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm surprised the AD is gone like that. I figured they would just not renew him after this year and fire Wagner. I know football is the front porch but WCU has had some good Olympic sports teams recently.

Smitty
October 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised the AD is gone like that. I figured they would just not renew him after this year and fire Wagner. I know football is the front porch but WCU has had some good Olympic sports teams recently.

Men's baskeball and Olympic team were good hires, but Chip had a lot more bad hires than good unfortunately. I figure they will find an AD then let him do the search for his own coach. That way you don't have an old coach with new AD or vise versa...

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM
That is what I am hoping for. We would be more competitive this year if our defense didn't allow 400+ yards every game.

At one point this year WCU was third in the league in total offense xnodx

Appaholic
October 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
He knows exactly what and who I was talking about. I'm a season ticket holder for WCU so I know exactly what's going on. My point is you run your mouth consistently about how bad our program is, trust me, we know how bad it is, yet are an alum of a team that sports 3 national titles and yet somehow never go to a game to support ASU for whatever reason, but let a WCU article come out and you're the 1st one on it. I could care less about the ACT, our chancellor took a good 1st step this morning. We'll be fine.

Come on over & be an App fan....it's not like you went to Western, so your allegiance should be fleeting at best....I'm sorry you have to go through this every 3 years....but look on the bright side, you get some new uniforms out of the deal....

Appaholic
October 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure he was meaning the writer of the article; he didn't bother going to WCU games, except the homecoming game and he based his article solely on that. I saw it as a critique of the article, that the author used his one experience this year at WCU to bash the program further, but I could be mistaken

No, he meant me...he's upset because the media is finally wrting what all of us already knew...

catamount man
October 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
not upset about the media it all. I could tell TNG a few more things worthy of the paper it's printed on. Why so concerned about WCU as an app alum? That's what I don't get?!

Appaholic
October 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
not upset about the media it all. I could tell TNG a few more things worthy of the paper it's printed on. Why so concerned about WCU as an app alum? That's what I don't get?!

I'm not...there's nothing to be concerned with....it just happens to be the most local school for our paper to cover....they usually cover any dumpster fires reported in the Asheville area....

Gringer1
October 24th, 2011, 01:30 PM
His contract expired this year, but they fired him? Why couldn't they just let him retire or move on after his term?

Mntneer
October 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM
His contract expired this year, but they fired him? Why couldn't they just let him retire or move on after his term?

It's conceivable that they want him gone sooner so that they can hire a new AD who can then fire Wagner in time to get someone else hired for next season.

gasoutherneagle
October 25th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Do you want to do that for Sam? Or, do you want him gone NOW... before the AD's office blows it on another playoff snafu?

The Cats
October 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I'm not...there's nothing to be concerned with....it just happens to be the most local school for our paper to cover....they usually cover any dumpster fires reported in the Asheville area....

I'm glad that WCU's athletic problems bring so much joy to a miserable lonely life of a hillbilly. We can only wait until ASU's assent to FBS paradise (Sun Belt) and then their assured slide into FBS oblivion (re:Marshall). Enjoy the ride.

Skjellyfetti
October 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
We can only wait until ASU's assent to FBS paradise (Sun Belt) and then their assured slide into FBS oblivion (re:Marshall).

Hasn't WCU been in FCS oblivion for a good many years now?

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'm glad that WCU's athletic problems bring so much joy to a miserable lonely life of a hillbilly. We can only wait until ASU's assent to FBS paradise (Sun Belt) and then their assured slide into FBS oblivion (re:Marshall). Enjoy the ride.

Insulting Western football almost makes me feel guilty at this point so instead, I will just state that there is zero chance that ASU goes Sun Belt.

appfan2008
October 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Insulting Western football almost makes me feel guilty at this point so instead, I will just state that there is zero chance that ASU goes Sun Belt.

Its not fun to insult WCU... they suck.. move on... I am hoping for CUSA or better...

Smitty
October 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Its not fun to insult WCU... they suck.. move on... I am hoping for CUSA or better...

I don't know CUSA will be full when they merge with Mountain West.

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I don't know CUSA will be full when they merge with Mountain West.

Yeah, that is true. Honestly, I think it will be about a year or so before we know anything. I would not be surprised to see Houston, UCF, and/or SMU get poached out of Conference USA, opening up a few spots. At that point, the issue would be whether C-USA poaches the Sun Belt or extends an offer our way.

If it does not work out, I expect the move will be put on hold until something can be figured out with other regional FCS schools looking to make a move. In any event, Sun Belt is VERY unlikely.

OL FU
October 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM

ah come on, you like tweaking CM a bitxsmiley_wix

Appaholic
October 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
ah come on, you like tweaking CM a bitxsmiley_wix

Of course! If he pulled for Wofford, I'd....well, never mind.....

Appaholic
October 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Insulting Western football almost makes me feel guilty at this point..........

No doubt....it's like throwing rocks at a flightless Auk....