PDA

View Full Version : Will UMaine ever get the respect they deserve?

umaine21
October 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
The way they wont that game today shows how gutsy this team is and also shows that they deserve more respect from everyone around the country especially the FCS coaches poll. When will UMaine get the respect that it deserves??

UIWWildthing
October 22nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
They earned it! Great comeback to beat Richmond today. I'm really looking forward to the battle for the CAA title soon between Towson & Maine

GATA
October 22nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
The way they wont that game today shows how gutsy this team is and also shows that they deserve more respect from everyone around the country especially the FCS coaches poll. When will UMaine get the respect that it deserves??

How much respect does Maine deserve? A top 3 ranking? What lack of respect are they suffering from? Aren't they the highest ranked team in their conference?

UNHFan
October 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
RESPECT RESPECT!!!!!!! They are hands down top 10 team if not top 5! I watched every second of the Pitt game and I started to get scared how much athletic talent is on this team... trust me so did Pitt!

And to that moronic poster who said... Maine was never in the game check that stats..... well we on this board never heard from him again cause stats backed up how close that game was.

OK... back to hating Maine!!! :-P

umaine21
October 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Two teams that UMaine has beaten are still ranked ahead of them in the coaches poll. If thats not lack of respect I dk what is.

dunbar
October 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
If theres any respect that UM hasn't earned yet it would be from the fans instate. There were many people from Maine who doubted Maine's accomplishments to date. I think today's comeback should eliminate all doubt that this team, with the performances they've put on, is THE favorite to win the CAA.

Who would of thought the biggest CAA game of the year would be Towson at Maine on November 5th? This game will be huge and hopefully will draw well on gameday (UMaine November crowds usually are mediocre). Let's get past Villanova next week though.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
The Black Bears have had my attention since the near-win against Pittsburgh. Most of the CAA coaches think Maine is the best team in the league right now. And the Black Bears seem to have the magic working, just like Towson. I can't wait to see those two teams face off on my first trip to Orono in a couple of weeks. It's funny in retrospect that both Jack Cosgrove and Rob Ambrose told me their teams would be a lot better than people realized at the CAA media day in Baltimore.

BTW, think there is any correlation to the fact that Maine had its best turnout for summer workouts EVER?

UNIFanSince1983
October 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Two teams that UMaine has beaten are still ranked ahead of them in the coaches poll. If thats not lack of respect I dk what is.

Well the first problem is you are basing it on the Coaches Poll which everyone knows is the least quality poll for FCS.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Don't put much credence in the Coaches' poll. There are only 28 people voting and most of them are not even coaches. The coaches don't see anyone that they are not watching on game film, or playing on Saturday.

Srdnaty
October 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Maine will probably drop in the coaches poll this week. Its a joke.

spdram
October 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Great job today Maine. Work on that running game and you'll make some real noise in the PO's. Bid huge and get all of your PO games in Maine if not seeded. Heck just keep winning you may be seeded #1 and not have to worry about it.

mainejeff
October 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
How much respect does Maine deserve? A top 3 ranking? What lack of respect are they suffering from?

The type of respect that Georgia Southern gets for beating no one???.......

xcoffeex

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM

The coach's poll has fewer than 30 SID's voting, so there's not nearly enough knowledge or voting members to make it anywhere close to valid. Just keep doing it on the field and, if you win out, I can't imagine you not getting a seed, unless SHSU, GSU, NDSU and Lehigh all win out and bid aggressively.

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
The type of respect that Georgia Southern gets for beating no one???.......

xcoffeex

Elon, Chattanooga and Furman are not nobodies. While I will quickly acknowledge Maine's schedule is an order of magnitude tougher than Georgia Southern, I would also point out GSU is absolutely dominating, winning on average about 44-19, and only Chattanooga was close.

I have Maine at 6 and GSU as 3 in my poll this week, if that is any help.

UNH Fanboi
October 22nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
If Delaware or JMU had an identical resume to Maine at this point in the season they would probably be ranked 3rd or 4th.

umaine21
October 22nd, 2011, 10:36 PM
If Delaware or JMU had an identical resume to Maine at this point in the season they would probably be ranked 3rd or 4th.

THANK YOU! thats exactly my point!

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
THANK YOU! thats exactly my point!

So... you're worried about a ranking, of like two or three points? Why? Rankings don't matter. Hell, if anything, being ranked highly consistently puts a huge bullseye on your back, and robs you of the very valuable ability to motivate your team with the "disrespected" card. I always prefer Montana to be ranked lowly and be playing with something to prove than be ranked highly and get everyone's best game every week.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2011, 11:16 PM

Agreed there. Pedigree tends to color may pollsters' views.

ngineer
The only thing the could blow up Maine would be if they played a game in Havana, Cuba! (;-)

ODUsmitty
Until you vote out Olympia Stowe and Susan Collins, you get no respect, whatsoever.

Eat some e-coli laced lobsters, beeeeatches.

BTW, great comeback vs, the Ticks! Looking forward to UM v, TU. Who would have thunk it???

Pards Rule
October 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
The only thing the could blow up Maine would be if they played a game in Havana, Cuba! (;-)

Maybe Black Bear fans could start wearing pins that say "Remember Maine"? Anyways, its ironic I know a starting OL, #50, on this team. And I was at the last game Lafayette played with Maine 28 years ago on Oct 8, 1983, a 39-38 loss with Maine coming back from a 38-14 deficit in the late 3rd quarter. Also saw the Oct. 3, 1981 game at Fisher Field, a 17-0 Pard shutout. So, congratulations on another great comeback a la 1983 win over the Spiders.

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have Maine 5 this week and i think thats fair

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM

You're showing your age, ng!xlolx

Mr. C
October 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
So... you're worried about a ranking, of like two or three points? Why? Rankings don't matter. Hell, if anything, being ranked highly consistently puts a huge bullseye on your back, and robs you of the very valuable ability to motivate your team with the "disrespected" card. I always prefer Montana to be ranked lowly and be playing with something to prove than be ranked highly and get everyone's best game every week.

Rankings matter when seeding for the playoffs are concerned. If Maine wins the CAA, I can't see the Black Bears being seeded less than fourth (hopefully a lot higher, considering what that would entail). Can you imagine playoff games in December in Orono? Considering how much I love snow games, I can't imagine how much fun that would be.

mainejeff
October 23rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have Maine 5 this week and i think thats fair

I think that's about right. Maine hasn't "blown out" anyone to warrant being ranked higher than that. If they keep winning, especially with Towson and UNH still on the docket.......everything will take care of itself.

Maroon&White
October 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
When will UMaine get the respect that it deserves??

When will "fans" stop magically appearing once their teams start winning?

bojeta
October 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Maine has been high on my list for several weeks and this week they moved up to #5

mainejeff
October 23rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
When will "fans" stop magically appearing once their teams start winning?

Or disappearing once they start losing.......;)

Engineer86
October 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Best part of the FCS. . . Just win baby! Only is FBS do the polls matter.

danefan
October 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Maine will move up to #7 in the AGS poll tomorrow

Have you gotten any of your poll predictions right yet this year? xlolx

danefan
October 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
actually

yes

I mean the week ou actually make them? Not 3 weeks later like your Lehigh top 10 calls.

Brad82
October 23rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Maine needs to be ranked in top 8

VaUNHfan
October 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Had a coach tell the team once. Respect is overated winning is everything.

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Maine needs to be ranked in top 8

Top 8? With wofford losing i would love to see a list of 7 teams that should be ahead of them

RichH2
October 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sure will move up, top 8 is a bit of a push

eaglesrback
October 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Respect? The only RESPECT you get is when the clock strikes 00:00 in Frisco.

mainejeff
October 23rd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Respect? The only RESPECT you get is when the clock strikes 00:00 in Frisco.

So I take it that you won't get upset if GSU drops from #1 to #10 this week???..........

mainejeff
October 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Sure will move up, top 8 is a bit of a push

Yeah, jumping up 1 spot would be a crime to other more deserving squads..............

Engineer86
October 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
You won on a defensive return of a blocked extra point against a team that has not yet won in the league. This is the week that you start to whine about respect? Count your blessings and just keep winning!

LEHIGH61
October 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
The Sports Network poll seems to me the most legitimate. Maine will problaly be ranked 8th behind Lehigh at the 7th spot. I certainly respect what Maine has done. They've been amazing this season and deserve a lot of credit. By the way, last week Maine was 1st in the Lambert Meadowlands poll ahead of No. 2 Lehigh. If that isn's enough respect at this stage of the season, I don't know what is. If there is some fear about not being recognized, forget about it . MAINE IS BEING RECOGNIZED! Now they have to continue their winning ways.

LEHIGH61
October 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
"PROBABLY" - I Hate typos

Engineer86
October 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
The Sports Network poll seems to me the most legitimate. Maine will problaly be ranked 8th behind Lehigh at the 7th spot. I certainly respect what Maine has done. They've been amazing this season and deserve a lot of credit. By the way, last week Maine was 1st in the Lambert Meadowlands poll ahead of No. 2 Lehigh. If that isn's enough respect at this stage of the season, I don't know what is. If there is some fear about not being recognized, forget about it . MAINE IS BEING RECOGNIZED! Now they have to continue their winning ways.

Speaking of a lack of respect, Maine will definitely jump Lehigh this week.

Squealofthepig
October 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Speaking of a lack of respect, Maine will definitely jump Lehigh this week.

If history is any indication, the Coaches' poll will have Lehigh drop 5 spots after their harrowing bye week (amirite NDSU fans?)

Tubby Raymond
October 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Never because of impudent douchies like MaineJeff. As long as he portays himself as the voice for all Black Bear fans, no love at all.

Bainsey, etall always been enjoyable

Maroon&White
October 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Or disappearing once they start losing.......;)

Win or lose I usually don't post. Just south of 650 posts in 6 years is pretty good proof. Plus, didn't UMass just lose?

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Never because of impudent douchies like MaineJeff. As long as he portays himself as the voice for all Black Bear fans, no love at all.

Bainsey, etall always been enjoyable

It takes a douche to know a douche.

eaglesrback
October 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM
So I take it that you won't get upset if GSU drops from #1 to #10 this week???..........

Georgia Southern will "SMOKE" the goat humping Hillbilly's this weekend. AND Georgia Southern will still be number one at this time next week!