vs. Big South 1-1
vs. CAA 0-5
vs. Ivy 9-7
vs. MEAC 1-0
vs. MVFC 0-1
vs. NEC 5-0
vs. PFL 3-0

STANDINGS:
(Patriot League W-L is listed first, followed by overall W-L)
(These are not the “official” standings because Fordham is included.)

Holy Cross 2-0, 4-3
Lehigh 2-0, 6-1
Georgetown 2-1, 6-2
Lafayette 1-1, 3-4
Bucknell 1-2, 4-4
Colgate 1-2, 4-4
Fordham* 0-3, 1-6

*Ineligible for League championship and auto-bid.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Fordham's remaining games:
at Army
at Georgetown
Bucknell
Holy Cross

Is 1-10 out of reach for the "scholarship" Rams? I think it's eminently doable. I would have never guessed that before this season.

carney2
October 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Fordham's remaining games:
at Army
at Georgetown
Bucknell
Holy Cross

Is 1-10 out of reach for the "scholarship" Rams? I think it's eminently doable. I would have never guessed that before this season.

They don't look very...uh...scholarshippy. The Allentown Morning Call's Paul Reinhard had a blog this morning that included lots of quotes from Masella. It all sounded as if good times are just around the corner. In fact, one could infer that the breakout could be that very afternoon. Lafayette did a lot of things today that they have not been able to do all year. I doubt if Tavani waved his magic wand and created a football team in the past 7 days. At least part of the explanation for the Leopards' seeming metamorphosis has to have been in those white shirts.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Barring a snow/rain storm of some kind that grounds the air attack, Lehigh should be coming to Hamilton breathing fire. They should smell blood in the water. Colgate reeling after poor showing in D.C. However, will they have last year's debacle at Goodman on their minds? Is that enought to light the fires of revenge? Unlikely. Lehigh 45-17.

After struggling past Bucknell, can the Crusaders hold of the Hoyas? Actually, when you look at it, any team that can turn the ball over 6 TIMES and still win a game, has a lot of skill players and is alot better than the score. Hoyas will be smellling opportunity, but that's really Worcester's air. Holy Cross wins the battle for the Jesuit Cup, 31-21.

Army receives the wounded lambs of Fordham. This will not be pretty. Black Knights of the Hudson roll big time, 49-21.

Bucknell is pathetic on offense. Plus 6 turnovers against Holy Cross and still could not win. Poor defense must be exhausted by now. Lafayette feeling good about themselves and still in their crib. Lafayette, 27-10.

Doc QB
October 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Lehigh...well rested, focused, looking at conf crown as pathway to playoff run.
G'town...rolling well, and despite playing UNH tough, still not sold on HC.
Army
Lafayette...more problems in Bison-land than 'Pardville, Leopards win.

RichH2
October 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Lehigh close game, I assume Gate will actuaaly show up at home
CROSS
aRMY
pARDS

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ Army
BUCKNELL @ LAFAYETTE

Agreed.

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I wonder what amazing and other worldly feat all-universe and best ever QB Chris Lum did this weekend!! Did he throw for 867 yards and 8TDs against LSU as himself on EA's NCAA football for XBox?? Here comes another national weekly award for the the glorious Chris Lum of the magnificent Brown and White! He deserves to be the Payton Award winner, Heisman Trophy winner, Maxwell winner, NFL MVP, and Super Bowl MVP all in the same season. In fact there is no need to play anymore games. Stop the season! Chris Lum is the Patriot League champion!

Fordham
October 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
They don't look very...uh...scholarshippy. The Allentown Morning Call's Paul Reinhard had a blog this morning that included lots of quotes from Masella. It all sounded as if good times are just around the corner. In fact, one could infer that the breakout could be that very afternoon. Lafayette did a lot of things today that they have not been able to do all year. I doubt if Tavani waved his magic wand and created a football team in the past 7 days. At least part of the explanation for the Leopards' seeming metamorphosis has to have been in those white shirts.
What's worse - our OL or our D? I think both could be in contention for worst in FCS.

RichH2
October 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
I wonder what amazing and other worldly feat all-universe and best ever QB Chris Lum did this weekend!! Did he throw for 867 yards and 8TDs against LSU as himself on EA's NCAA football for XBox?? Here comes another national weekly award for the the glorious Chris Lum of the magnificent Brown and White! He deserves to be the Payton Award winner, Heisman Trophy winner, Maxwell winner, NFL MVP, and Super Bowl MVP all in the same season. In fact there is no need to play anymore games. Stop the season! Chris Lum is the Patriot League champion!

Geez, P4L what is wrong with you other than pure envy. Has he not done exactly that all season. Will he do it again at Gate? have no idea but I am going to guess he will do OK. behappy that pardshave turned it around and enjoy it.

RichH2
October 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
I wonder what amazing and other worldly feat all-universe and best ever QB Chris Lum did this weekend!! Did he throw for 867 yards and 8TDs against LSU as himself on EA's NCAA football for XBox?? Here comes another national weekly award for the the glorious Chris Lum of the magnificent Brown and White! He deserves to be the Payton Award winner, Heisman Trophy winner, Maxwell winner, NFL MVP, and Super Bowl MVP all in the same season. In fact there is no need to play anymore games. Stop the season! Chris Lum is the Patriot League champion! Geez, guy. why dont you enjoy pards turn around rather than reveling in some distorted world of envy. Lum, so far, has been super. Hope it continues.

van
October 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
P4L must really be surfer dude in disguise with that kind of envy.

Engineer86
October 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
It is getting that time of year when certain fans struggle with Lehigh envy!

RichH2
October 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
It is getting that time of year when certain fans struggle with Lehigh envy! Seems with Pardvillians the condition lasts all year ( justifiably)

Bogus Megapardus
October 23rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
This weekend, Bucknell travels to Lafayette as the two play yet another game in their storied rivalry. A poster on the Lafayette Board suggested recently that Bucknell has not experienced significant football accomplishment over the years against Lafayette. Let's examine some of the history.

Bucknell University was founded in 1846 in the bucolic Buffalo Valley of the wilds of central Pennsylvania. Stretching deep and wide from Marts Hall to Mifflinburg, the Buffalo Valley itself is the inspiration for Bucknell's nickname, the "Bison."

Lafayette College is Bucknell's oldest and most often played football rival. The two have met 88 times in 130 years. Bucknell is 32-50-6 against the Pards in that time. Seventeen of those games have been Leopard shutouts, such as the 47-0 loss in 1905 and the 31-0 loss in 2006. The very first game was in 1883; the Bison lost that one, too, 59-0.

Some have implied that Bucknell football itself is the ultimate benchmark of gridiron futility. That is hardly the case. The Bison have recorded some historic successes, such as successive wins over the Harry Hillman Boys' Academy of Wilkes-Barre, PA, in 1912-13. And let's not forget Bucknell's record of service to the less fortunate - wins of substantial margin in 1924-25 over Gallaudet University stand to this day at the zenith of the Bison football experience.

It is only fair that we take a moment to pay tribute to the Lewisburg eleven. So, as an adjunct to the world-renowned historical site (http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-photo/mady142/1/1247028016/head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump.jpg/tpod.html) of the same name in Canada, the Department of Fine Arts at Lafayette has constructed a permanent exhibit recognizing Bucknell's prized history of football mediocrity at Fisher Field:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8743/bucknellbisonjump480.png

Patrons at the Interpretive Centre may re-live historic contests such as the 37-0 defeat in 1981 as well as that 47-0 drubbing in 1985. An interactive display permits our guests from Lewisburg to gain academic credit by smashing their own heads repeatedly against an authentic stone precipice. This provides participants with a real-time experience of what it's like for the Bison to play on College Hill, and allows them to re-create first-hand Bucknell's prospect of long-term gridiron success.

Open Saturdays Noon to 8:00; children under 12 smash free. For more information about the original Interpretive Centre at Fort Macleod, Alberta, please visit http://www.head-smashed-in.com ( http://www.head-smashed-in.com).

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Bogie, you missed your calling!xlolx

ngineer
October 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
This weekend, Bucknell travels to Lafayette as the two play yet another game in their storied rivalry. A poster on the Lafayette Board suggested recently that Bucknell has not experienced significant football accomplishment over the years against Lafayette. Let's examine some of the history.

Bucknell University was founded in 1846 in the bucolic Buffalo Valley of the wilds of central Pennsylvania. Stretching deep and wide from Marts Hall to Mifflinburg, the Buffalo Valley itself is the inspiration for Bucknell's nickname, the "Bison."

Lafayette College is Bucknell's oldest and most often played football rival. The two have met 88 times in 130 years. Bucknell is 32-50-6 against the Pards in that time. Seventeen of those games have been Leopard shutouts, such as the 47-0 loss in 1905 and the 31-0 loss in 2006. The very first game was in 1883; the Bison lost that one, too, 59-0.

Some have implied that that Bucknell football itself is the ultimate benchmark of gridiron futility. That is hardly the case. The Bison have recorded some historic successes, such as successive wins over the Harry Hillman Boys' Academy of Wilkes-Barre, PA, in 1912-13. And let's not forget Bucknell's record of service to the less fortunate - wins of substantial margin in 1924-25 over Gallaudet University stand to this day at the zenith of the Bison football experience.

It is only fair that we take a moment to pay tribute to the Lewisburg eleven. So, as an adjunct to the world-renowned historical site (http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-photo/mady142/1/1247028016/head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump.jpg/tpod.html) of the same name in Canada, the Department of Fine Arts at Lafayette has constructed a permanent exhibit recognizing Bucknell's prized history of football mediocrity at Fisher Field:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8743/bucknellbisonjump480.png

Patrons at the Interpretive Centre may re-live historic contests such as the 37-0 defeat in 1981 as well as that 47-0 drubbing in 1985. An interactive display permits our guests from Lewisburg to gain academic credit by smashing their heads repeatedly against an authentic stone precipice. This provides participants with a real-time experience of what it's like for the Bison to play on College Hill, and allows them to re-create first-hand Bucknell's prospect of long-term gridiron success.

Open Saturdays Noon to 8:00, children under 12 smash free. For more information about the original Interpretive Centre at Fort Macleod, Alberta, please visit http://www.head-smashed-in.com ( http://www.head-smashed-in.com).

However, Bucknell should be given its due of being invited to the first Orange Bowl ever played...(;-)

Bogus Megapardus
October 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
However, Bucknell should be given its due of being invited to the first Orange Bowl ever played...(;-)

Details. If you Drinker Twinkies want to construct your own monument to the Blundering Nerd, go right ahead. I'll stand by the interpretive accuracy of ours.

ngineer
October 23rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Details. If you Drinker Twinkies want to construct your own monument to the Blundering Nerd, go right ahead. I'll stand by the interpretive accuracy of ours.

I actually lived in Drinker Hall my freshman year...Section 3B. However, no Twinkies to be found. Some "excellent" brownies, though, back then (1970)(;-)

Pards Rule
October 23rd, 2011, 08:40 PM

And indeed they won that New Year's Day 1935 contest by blanking the Miami Hurricanes 26-0. I do have a soft spot for the Bison as thats where my parents met (BU '61s) and my brother went there ('86) and I spent a week every summer from 1977-83 in the Mods golfing at Bucknell Golf Course with the family (sans mom who much rather preferred the barn sales!). Most recently we went back for four days in July of this year but alas couldnt get a tee time so played over in Milton PA at Wynding Brook GC.

Bogus Megapardus
October 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
And indeed they won that New Year's Day 1935 contest by blanking the Miami Hurricanes 26-0. I do have a soft spot for the Bison as thats where my parents met (BU '61s) and my brother went there ('86) and I spent a week every summer from 1977-83 in the Mods golfing at Bucknell Golf Course with the family (sans mom who much rather preferred the barn sales!). Most recently we went back for four days in July of this year but alas couldnt get a tee time so played over in Milton PA at Wynding Brook GC.

Bollocks. You're going soft here, Pards Rule. My dad went to Hahvahd, but that doesn't mean I have to like the place. The aim here is to defeat your beloved Bison, and defeat them soundly.

The new Interpretive History Centre has consulted several experts in the field of factual expedience. Those experts have concluded that the only requirement for an invitation to the Orange Bowl in those days simply was to be "a small eastern college." Bucknell, like Manhattan College, Catholic U. and Duquesne, fit the bill and all became Orange Bowl participants. The Bison simply weren't doing anything better at the time, so they took a little trip south to Miami.

Keeping a united front against the Bison means we all have to misstate our facts in a consistent, uniform fashion. Any deviation could spell defeat.

carney2
October 23rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE – The preseason game of the year is suddenly a dud. The early weather forecast for Hamilton, NY is fog – the fog that gathers around Dick Biddle whenever he is asked for an injury update. In a late breaking development, Biddle has cleared Charlie Manson to play in this game. Oh yeah, Lehigh sux!

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS – The Hoyas continue to dazzle and amaze, but not expecting either of these teams to repeat last week's performances – neither good Hoyas nor inept 'saders. More than this game however, I'm looking forward to next week's Fordham @ Georgetown encounter when the Patriot League award for coaching incompetence, the Soiled Bedpan, will be awarded to the losing coach. The trophy presentation will be taped by Georgetown's FIOS affiliate for rebroadcast in Latvia sometime in 2014.

FORDHAM @ Army – After acknowledging that this game is a joke, Fordham's President, Fr. Joseph McShane, checked with the bank to see if this second of two “money game” checks for playing FBS opponents had been deposited. (The Rams had previously cashed a check from UConn.) He then dashed off an email to his fellow Patriot League prexies extolling the virtues of scholarship football. In part he said “Scholarship football doesn't cost, it pays. You don't have to be any good. They send the check even if you put total garbage on the field.” After hitting the “send” key, Fr. McShane was off to peek in on a committee that is planning a gala celebration of 20 years of Fordham's post-Patriot League basketball excellence.

BUCKNELL @ LAFAYETTE – Ken_Z guaranteed a Buffalo win back in August, and Kenny wouldn't lie. There ya go, I admit it - I'm making this pick with insider information, so it isn't really fair. (Tried to insert a photo of me with my fingers crossed behind my back, but... You'll just have to use your imagination.)

JSUBison
October 23rd, 2011, 09:44 PM
If Lafayette wins out, do they win the conference?

carney2
October 23rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
If Lafayette wins out, do they win the conference?

No worse than a tie.

If Lehigh wins all games except Lafayette, it's a tie with Lehigh, but the Pards get the autobid because of the head-to-head win. Ditto for Holy Cross. Difference is that the Squawks would almost certainly get a playoff invite; the 'saders almost certainly would not.

If Pards win out and Georgetown wins out, then it's a tie with Georgetown, but the Hoyas get the autobid because of the head-to-head win.

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
If Pards win out and Georgetown wins out, then it's a tie with Georgetown, but the Hoyas get the autobid because of the head-to-head win.

. . . . but Lafayette would NOT get an at-large despite being conference co-champions. The only way the PL gets two bids is if Lehigh takes an unexpected fall, either to the Leopards or the Hoyas.

crusader11
October 24th, 2011, 08:51 AM
. . . . but Lafayette would NOT get an at-large despite being conference co-champions. The only way the PL gets two bids is if Lehigh takes an unexpected fall, either to the Leopards or the Hoyas.

+ Holy Cross.

What brown wearing fellow will allow a young HC alum to have some of their lager on Nov. 5th?

TheValleyRaider
October 24th, 2011, 12:16 PM
2-1 last week, each loss means more in the grand scheme as we get down to the end. 34-8 for the year, with a full half of those coming from the Chenango Valley :(

Lehigh at Colgate Colgate If there is a saving grace to this season, it's that Colgate has actually performed well at home. At least, they are winning at home. Lehigh is a different kettle of fish from what we've dealt with so far, really only Albany might compare out of our home opponents. With a relatively poor national TV record recently, this is not shaping up to be a great Saturday. Still, with Eachus and McCarney's health improving, and the defense having been better in recent weeks, well, that...is why they play the games

Georgetown at Holy Cross Holy Cross Hoyas are coming off a big win against Colgate, locking up their first winning season since 1999. Well done on the turnaround Georgetown, but this is a test of a different sort. The Crusaders are coming off an unimpressive win at Bucknell, but still a victory, and looking to firmly establish themselves as chief contender to Lehigh's throne. I'll take the home team for whom winning 6 games does not represent rarified air, setting up the League title showdown for the following Saturday

Fordham at Army Army Admittedly, there is a twinge of jealousy in this posting, as I would love to see Colgate head back to the banks of the Hudson for a showdown with the Black Knights. Not this year's Colgate team, but you get the idea. As for Saturday, I wouldn't really want to do it with this year's Fordham team either, so I can be thankful for that

Bucknell at Lafayette Lafayette The Leopards in the week's most difficult game to pick? Go figure, right? Most of that probably stems from their ability to suck you back in right after you are convinced they should be dead and buried. Meanwhile, Bucknell continues to show similar signs of competency. The difference here is that Lafayette's have turned into recent wins, while the Bison struggle to pay attention with basketball tipping off soon

carney2
October 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
+ Holy Cross.

What brown wearing fellow will allow a young HC alum to have some of their lager on Nov. 5th?

Don't drink with them. Don't talk to them. Don't correspond with them. They are lower than whale's stuff at the bottom of the Marianas Trench - under a rock. For a free beer you would risk the necessity of a painful decontamination? I think not.

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Don't drink with them. Don't talk to them. Don't correspond with them. They are lower than whale's stuff at the bottom of the Marianas Trench - under a rock. For a free beer you would risk the necessity of a painful decontamination? I think not.

True. And with all the fair-weather Lehigh fans crawling out of the woodwork here, I think we're going to have to spray.

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Very true. Though we do kind of have to live with LFN and his talking head... blah-blah-blah FCS this, FCS that... Maine and UNH to the Patriot League blah blah blah... I love the New Orleans Saints because I just got used to wearing turd brown to school, so wearing a paper bag at NFL games until 2007 was no big deal blah blah blah...

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM
True. And with all the fair-weather Lehigh fans crawling out of the woodwork here, I think we're going to have to spray.

What's the avatar this week?

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
What's the avatar this week?

The avatar is "Roger the Shrubber" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It commemorates the finest shrubberies in the Patriot League, to be found in the endzone at Bucknell. The signature is the Buffalo Jump, details of which are located in a previous post. You may click on the signature for those details.

I was going to use a picture of the Addison Federal Prison Camp in West Virginia, which was modeled after the Bucknell campus, but that would have been a bit obscure. Locating anything funny having to do with the "Buffalo Valley" is a chore.

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
The avatar is "Roger the Shrubber" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It commemorates the finest shrubberies in the Patriot League, to be found in the endzone at Bucknell. The signature is the Buffalo Jump, details of which are located in a previous post.

I was going to use a picture of the Addison Federal Prison Camp in West Virginia, which was modeled after the Bucknell campus, but that would have been a bit obscure.

Ah yes, they do have nice shrubbery at Christy Matthewson. They must reward credit to whomever can arrange the bushes to spell 'Bucknell' each year.

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM
The leopards were the only big game saved in Ohio this week and Col. Qaddaffi, a Lehigh fan, was killed on Thursday... an omen?

carney2
October 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
The leopards were the only big game saved in Ohio this week and Col. Qaddaffi, a Lehigh fan, was killed on Thursday... an omen?

I knew, of course, that the good Colonel had the fashion sense, sophistication, morals and general all around ambiance of a Lehigh grad, but did not know that he was an actual FeatherHead. It all fits though, doesn't it? Will the Lafayette-Lehigh TV party in Tripoli now be canceled?

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Ah yes, they do have nice shrubbery at Christy Matthewson. They must reward credit to whomever can arrange the bushes to spell 'Bucknell' each year.

Now you have me thinking. Were I back at the ol' (no-longer-existing) fraternity, it might have been a perfect futile and stupid gesture to take a little road trip to Lewisburg with some hedge trimmers. I can think of several ways in which the existing shrubberies could be re-spelled.

colorless raider
October 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Clearly too much time on your hands.

van
October 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Now you have me thinking. Were I back at the ol' (no-longer-existing) fraternity, it might have been a perfect futile and stupid gesture to take a little road trip to Lewisburg with some hedge trimmers. I can think of several ways in which the existing shrubberies could be re-spelled.

Never been to Christy, is there actually enough shrubbery to spell Lafayette Sucks?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Very true. Though we do kind of have to live with LFN and his talking head... blah-blah-blah FCS this, FCS that... Maine and UNH to the Patriot League blah blah blah... I love the New Orleans Saints because I just got used to wearing turd brown to school, so wearing a paper bag at NFL games until 2007 was no big deal blah blah blah...

I knew, of course, that the good Colonel had the fashion sense, sophistication, morals and general all around ambiance of a Lehigh grad, but did not know that he was an actual FeatherHead. It all fits though, doesn't it? Will the Lafayette-Lehigh TV party in Tripoli now be canceled?

I'm sorry, I must have missed all of this interchange when I was looking over Chris Lum's Payton Award statistics and basking in the afterglow of our No. 6 ranking and 6-1 record. Were you saying something pertinent to the season at hand? xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Never been to Christy, is there actually enough shrubbery to spell Lafayette Sucks?

Yes, potentially there are enough shrubberies. But just like the sad chap who cleans my gutters, most of the Bucknell groundskeepers are Lehigh graduates, and they can't spell.

ngineer
October 24th, 2011, 04:49 PM
+ Holy Cross.

PM me as to your plans for coming down on the 5th. The Class of '74 "King of Tailgates" repaste is usually quite good. Not sure what the menu is as yet.

ngineer
October 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The avatar is "Roger the Shrubber" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It commemorates the finest shrubberies in the Patriot League, to be found in the endzone at Bucknell. The signature is the Buffalo Jump, details of which are located in a previous post. You may click on the signature for those details.

I was going to use a picture of the Addison Federal Prison Camp in West Virginia, which was modeled after the Bucknell campus, but that would have been a bit obscure. Locating anything funny having to do with the "Buffalo Valley" is a chore.

Bogie, your avatar reminds me of the time the Marching 97 in 'honor' of our guests from Lewisburg, played at old Taylor Stadium, the Bucknell fight song while spelling out the word, "Buck U." Unfortunately, some of the members were a little 'slow' in creating the 'B'....and, well, President Lewis had to send a note of apology to the Bison (though I know he chuckled the whole time he wrote it).

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Bogie, your avatar reminds me of the time the Marching 97 in 'honor' of our guests from Lewisburg, played at old Taylor Stadium, the Bucknell fight song while spelling out the word, "Buck U." Unfortunately, some of the members were a little 'slow' in creating the 'B'....and, well, President Lewis had to send a note of apology to the Bison (though I know he chuckled the whole time he wrote it).

See? - now that's funny. Nobody does stuff like that any longer. Penn used to do it, but some schools (including Columbia and my own Pards) got all indignant over it.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
See? - now that's funny. Nobody does stuff like that any longer. Penn used to do it, but some schools (including Columbia and my own Pards) got all indignant over it.

Didn't Lehigh leave some "special messages" in the turf at Fisher back in the days of grass fields? xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Didn't Lehigh leave some "special messages" in the turf at Fisher back in the days of grass fields? xlolx

Both schools did. I might have participated in one such endeavor myself, depending on who's asking.

van
October 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
PM me as to your plans for coming down on the 5th. The Class of '74 "King of Tailgates" repaste is usually quite good. Not sure what the menu is as yet.

Cross game is the annual clam bake, also family day at Goodman. King of Tailgates is better than quite good, it's the KING!

van
October 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM

That and painting the Leopard genitalia in pastels!http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/smilies/biggrin2.png

Sader87
October 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Cross game is the annual clam bake, also family day at Goodman. King of Tailgates is better than quite good, it's the KING!

A clam bake in Lehigh Valley? This Cape Codder will pass on that entree...but I'll drink the beer there.

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
A clam bake in Lehigh Valley? This Cape Codder will pass on that entree...but I'll drink the beer there.

Can't disagree. That's why, when we had a clam bake, we sent our fraternity pledges up to Cape Ann for clams and lobster directly off the boat.

ngineer
October 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Preliminary forecasts for this week are not good. Here in the Lehigh Valley the call for Saturday is rain showers. Similar forecast for Hamilton, NY, where Lehigh will do battle with Colgate, although their forecast also includes "snow showers". However, those, if they occur, will likely happen in the overnight hours as the "high" for Saturday is projected to be 45 F. Yes, "that time of year" has returned.

TheValleyRaider
October 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Preliminary forecasts for this week are not good. Here in the Lehigh Valley the call for Saturday is rain showers. Similar forecast for Hamilton, NY, where Lehigh will do battle with Colgate, although their forecast also includes "snow showers". However, those, if they occur, will likely happen in the overnight hours as the "high" for Saturday is projected to be 45 F. Yes, "that time of year" has returned.

Welcome...to the frozen tundra
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_ap/branch.jpghttp://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/_photos/2003-12-17-inside-colgate.jpg
http://www.yomets.com/images/football49.jpg
http://www.yomets.com/images/football45.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Fordham at Army - Army is playing the wrong Patriot League team. The Black Knights will run their option offense as always. The Rams will know exactly what's coming but they simply won't be able to do anything about it. Unless Army is willing to allow Fordham a couple of last-minute substitutions - say, replacing the Rams' entire roster and coaching staff with Lehigh's - this won't be quite the affair for which Fordham fans have pined for so long. Enjoy the ride up the Palisades and the nice fall foliage, though. Army 35-10

Bucknell at Lafayette - Meanwhile, back up there in Buffalo Jump, PA, the Blundering Nerd still subscribes to the notion that "almost" really IS good enough. That gives them hope, I suppose. But while Army will be running the option, Bucknell will be running the "try to force a turnover" game plan because it's the only thing it can accomplish with any degree of predictability these days. Like Fordham, Lafayette will know exactly what's coming but unlike Fordham, the Leopards (hopefully) WILL be able to do something about it, particularly if the ol' Sharp Shoopter can float a few downfield to a couple of untouched receivers. Pards will play well enough not to lose. Lafayette 20-13

Lehigh at Colgate - I remember last season when the highly-touted Red Raiders really screwed the pooch down there in the Squawkin' Valley. Payback really would be a b*tch, wouldn't it, Colgate fans? Those Fountain Fowl are all over the place predicting bye weeks and tournament seeds and Heisman trophies and such. They're really counting their feathers before they're plucked though, aren't they? It's been a tough season, but the Chenango Valley Leatherheads have the one thing going for them that they've always had - they really, really hate Lehigh - and that's a very good thing. Everyone should try it. If Mr. Eachus finds his groove, this one will be the upset special. Colgate 31-28, in overtime.

Georgetown at Holy Cross - Query: If both sides hold novenae cycles with equal fervor seeking an indulgence from Saint Sebastian for this game, which one counts? In the old days, leftover and/or unfulfilled prayers automatically inured to the benefit of Notre Dame, but who knows any longer? I guess the only thing that can be predicted with certainty is that no one will be able to watch this game live. Word from 37th and O is that Verizon executives have hired Jackie Chiles to sue anyone who even tries to post the score on AGS before the official tape-delay FiOS broadcast on Star Date 48315.6. I don't care what happened with Bucknell last weekend; the Crusaders beat Harvard already and have played a tougher schedule. They can slow down whatever tomfoolery the Hoyas are pulling with that new-fangled offensive play-calling thing they're doing. Holy Cross 21-16

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I don't know Bogie... Colgate is the sick man of the PL this season.

crusader11
October 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.yomets.com/images/football45.jpg

Just threw up a little bit.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Didn't the UMass bus almost go off a cliff getting to the game? And isn't that vs W. Illinois?

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Yeah I can see getting stuck in Hamilton turn out to be something out of the Shining... it's practically Ontario up there.

crusader11
October 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah I can see getting stuck in Hamilton turn out to be something out of the Shining... it's practically Ontario up there.

That too...but it was more the scoreboard that made me sick.

RichH2
October 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Both schools did. I might have participated in one such endeavor myself, depending on who's asking.

I vaguely recall a burning of LU on the grass over at LC . I, of course was not present , nor was I one of those that leftPardville and went for a panty raid ( yes children we bad boys actually did some of the pranks in Animal House)nor did I spendhours guesting with Bethlehom's finest until coach came to fix the misunderstanding.Nope, I wasn't one of those guys and the pictures in th GlobeTimes were blurrry! yup,thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM

I'm sure you and ng can arrange something - get those cherrystones off the docks in the AM for ng's tailgate! Show us how it's done! And there might be some beer in it for you ;)

RichH2
October 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I do think on a serious note that Gate is pointing to this game as a make or break for their year and payback for last yr.Biddle has dealt with enormous amt of injuries Bet McCaney and Nate healthy for Sat.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I will be surprised if Lehigh does not win by more than 3 TDs.

carney2
October 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Holy Cross at Georgetown

Sorry, Bogie, right church, wrong pew. If you, or anyone, shows up at MSF for this one you will be disappointed. On the other hand, with the game actually taking place in Woo, the score may leak out during the Obama administration.

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Sorry, Bogie, right church, wrong pew. If you, or anyone, shows up at MSF for this one you will be disappointed. On the other hand, with the game actually taking place in Woo, the score may leak out during the Obama administration.

xlolx:pxprayx

Right you are -thanks. I'll light a candle, slip a fiver in the po' box, and petition Our Blessed Mother of Geographical Dyslexia for forgiveness.

ColgateTD
October 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Holy Cross - Hoyas showed speed and athleticism vs 'Gate but believe Cross just has a bit more in the tank.
Army - season cannot end soon enough for Rams.
Pards - Lafayette a notch or two above Bison in the rebuilding process.
LU - it's a sin to pick agaist your alma mater, but perhaps reverse psychology will get the Biddlemen back on track.

22-11 so far (nothing to be proud of)

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Army (-31.5) vs Fordham o/u 52.5

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM

I wish I could get this Army/Over parlay.

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Army will run, run, run. Closer to 35-3 than some sort of 50+ effort.

TheValleyRaider
October 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Don't get too upset, that was from the Western Illinois game in 2003. The score is merely a delightful coincidence :D

Didn't the UMass bus almost go off a cliff getting to the game?

UMass decided they wanted to stay in a hotel further away from campus than the one Colgate was prepared to arrange for them. Their bus briefly slid off the road, though nothing serious, and they arrived shortly before scheduled kickoff. I believe there was a brief delay, but not too long. Without lights, we couldn't afford to wait. A little cheese for Whipple's whine, really

ngineer
October 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I fully expect 'gate to be revved up from last years beatdown, and fully expect a tough game..especially "up there". However, I think I detected more wishful thinking than actual prognostication in Bogie's pick. (;-)

ngineer
October 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Not to hijack this thread or anything...and perhaps we can have discussion in the Lounge, but what's up with the Lafayette BOT setting up the Greeks for complete abolition; which is the way I read the recent BOT decision that was subject of an article in the Morning Call today. Posting here so as to get the 'pards attention.

RichH2
October 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
n

If you go over to Lafayetteforum . there is a whole thread detailing historyof the "greek" purge by the LC administration. They seem bent on homogenizing the school so much it will have no identity left at all.

Franks Tanks
October 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
n

If you go over to Lafayetteforum . there is a whole thread detailing historyof the "greek" purge by the LC administration. They seem bent on homogenizing the school so much it will have no identity left at all.

The "stance" on the issue in writing may be new, but Lafayette has been out to get frats for 2 decades. I believe we have 4 left, and the greek presence on campus is already dead. We have sorority's, but they are useless and really do nothing to drive social life at Lafayette. The arguement is that frats add to the "homogenizing" as they think they only attrcat rich white males. The issue of course is that when most males at the school are very simialr, who excatly are the frats able to attract to create diversity.

The lack of diversity is BS anyway. Frats at Lafayette are more diverse than most organizations at the school.

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
We all got the email. It sucks, and that's why I no longer recommend Lafayette to many college-bound high school students.

They'll never touch Zete. Never. What's-his-name Kirby was a member when I was at Lafayette.

RichH2
October 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The "stance" on the issue in writing may be new, but Lafayette has been out to get frats for 2 decades. I believe we have 4 left, and the greek presence on campus is already dead. We have sorority's, but they are useless and really do nothing to drive social life at Lafayette. The arguement is that frats add to the "homogenizing" as they think they only attrcat rich white males. The issue of course is that when most males at the school are very simialr, who excatly are the frats able to attract to create diversity.

The lack of diversity is BS anyway. Frats at Lafayette are more diverse than most organizations at the school.

Agree that fraternities ,in actuality, provide diversity , in an otherwise static environment. Not big on many aspectsof some frats but they do on thewhole more good than ill for most schools. As I said above, the complete removal of an entire social order seems a bit like 1984. I must admit I do not understand the reasoning behind the slow abolition of the frats.
What is it the school is trying to accomplish. You to can be a Phoenix.

colorless raider
October 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Agree that fraternities ,in actuality, provide diversity , in an otherwise static environment. Not big on many aspectsof some frats but they do on thewhole more good than ill for most schools. As I said above, the complete removal of an entire social order seems a bit like 1984. I must admit I do not understand the reasoning behind the slow abolition of the frats.
What is it the school is trying to accomplish. You to can be a Phoenix.

How about the fact that most faculty never belonged to a fraternity hence they must be discriminatory and thus abolished by we "wise" men. disgusting!

van
October 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM
n

No identity might be an improvement for them?

RichH2
October 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM
No identity might be an improvement for them?

xchinscratchx Funny line but a sad situation for many LC alums. Think about it I know most of my remaining college friends were guys I lived with at Lehigh. Seems LC trying to become an anonymous commuter school , only difference is most of the commuting students live on campus.xsmhx

Franks Tanks
October 25th, 2011, 01:54 PM
xchinscratchx Funny line but a sad situation for many LC alums. Think about it I know most of my remaining college friends were guys I lived with at Lehigh. Seems LC trying to become an anonymous commuter school , only difference is most of the commuting students live on campus.xsmhx

Many schools do not have fraternities, including Fordham, Holy Cross, and Georgetown. In essense frats are already gone from Lafayette. The Greek culture is very weak at present. Totally eliminating them would be a terrible decision, but would not change the school much at this point since the damage has already been done.

Kids will always form cliques and drink. Frats actually provide safer outlets for parties, and actually expand cliques, but our admin does not get that. I was in one of the football frats, but joining the frat actually helped me meet new people. if I didn't join a frat I would've just hung out with guys on the team. Instead I hung out with my frat brothers as well who played a variety of sports, or were not involved in sports at all.

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Lafayette students actually are required to live on campus. There are no commuters, but I get the point. Lafayette doesn't seem to want separate identities within the homogeneous "brand" the school has created for itself. It's also likely the case that new-era helicoptering parents (who pay the tuition) don't want little Biff and Buffy exposed to the evils of self-reliance.

From another angle, though, Coach Tavani has mentioned, IIRC, that he doesn't like his players to join fraternities because he believes that they create divisiveness.

Franks Tanks
October 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Lafayette students actually are required to live on campus. There are no commuters, but I get the point. Lafayette doesn't seem to want separate identities within the homogeneous "brand" the school has created for itself. It's also likely the case that new-era helicoptering parents (who pay the tuition) don't want little Biff and Buffy exposed to the evils of self-reliance.

From another angle, though, Coach Tavani has mentioned, IIRC, that he doesn't like his players to join fraternities because he believes that they create divisiveness.

In my day about 80% of the team was in a fraternity. The team was pretty evenly split between Fiji and T-Delt, and a handful of guys in other frats. We ribbed and made fun of the guys in other frats, but more than anything we were teamates. Football players from the other house were always welcome at parties, even when it was closed for all other males. I understand why Frank may have felt that way, but it wasnt the case.

Those days are long gone however.

carney2
October 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Seems LC trying to become an anonymous commuter school

Actually, they seem more determined to become Bennington. The sooner that LFN recognizes who these people (The Lafayette version of the three blind mice: the Board of trustees, the administration and the faculty) are and what they want, the sooner we will hear the end of his ridiculous "Lafayette will not allow Lehigh to do things to tip the rivalry out of balance" chant. These people would flush THE Game in a heart beat if (a) it furthered their immediate goals (which it ultimately will), and (b) they had the stones to face the storm it would cause. IMO, their long term goals are to move athletics to D-3, with euthanizing the 2,000 pound gorilla - football - a more than welcome add on. They have substituted indoctrination for education and do not recognize the difference.

van
October 25th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Actually, they seem more determined to become Bennington. The sooner that LFN recognizes who these people (The Lafayette version of the three blind mice: the Board of trustees, the administration and the faculty) are and what they want, the sooner we will hear the end of his ridiculous "Lafayette will not allow Lehigh to do things to tip the rivalry out of balance" chant. These people would flush THE Game in a heart beat if (a) it furthered their immediate goals (which it ultimately will), and (b) they had the stones to face the storm it would cause. IMO, their long term goals are to move athletics to D-3, with euthanizing the 2,000 pound gorilla - football - a more than welcome add on. They have substituted indoctrination for education and do not recognize the difference.

Not to put words in LFN's mouth. But I think his position is that the alums can (for now at least) counter the "three blind mice." You guys owe the rivalry for combating the establishment! See I always knew you owed us!

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I always knew you owed us

Let us never forget that Lehigh owes its entire existence to the religious bigotry of a disgruntled Lafayette professor. It is Lehigh that owes, and always will owe, Lafayette.

carney2
October 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Not to put words in LFN's mouth. But I think his position is that the alums can (for now at least) counter the "three blind mice." You guys owe the rivalry for combating the establishment!

Staying serious while all others produce folderol: the "Three Blind Mice" have stacked the deck against the alumni. The Board of Trustees, for instance, is a closed club with the entrance controlled by the administration. The administration, in turn, is largely controlled by the faculty. There is no alumni organization of any kind. The Alumni Association, you say. Hah, I spit upon this idea. The "Alumni Association" is organized by and for the administration, and its primary purpose is to empty the pockets of robotic graduates who have no idea what is going on but feel a false sense of dutiful "giving back" when they are extorted via snail mail or land line. I am an alumnus and I am alone howling into the wind. Bogie is an alumnus, and ditto. Franks Tanks, the same. There is no means of organizing, there is no means of getting representation on the Board of Trustees, and any moves in this direction would be quashed.

ColgateTD
October 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Staying serious while all others produce folderol: the "Three Blind Mice" have stacked the deck against the alumni. The Board of Trustees, for instance, is a closed club with the entrance controlled by the administration. The administration, in turn, is largely controlled by the faculty. There is no alumni organization of any kind. The Alumni Association, you say. Hah, I spit upon this idea. The "Alumni Association" is organized by and for the administration, and its primary purpose is to empty the pockets of robotic graduates who have no idea what is going on but feel a false sense of dutiful "giving back" when they are extorted via snail mail or land line. I am an alumnus and I am alone howling into the wind. Bogie is an alumnus, and ditto. Franks Tanks, the same. There is no means of organizing, there is no means of getting representation on the Board of Trustees, and any moves in this direction would be quashed.

Why does this all sound so familiar! As for frats, you can add 'Gate to the list of PL schools where they are being *eliminated* by the administration buying up the properties and running them so little Johnny doesn't have more than two beers a weekend.
Very sad.

Sader87
October 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM
We never have had frats per se, but many lived in houses off campus in their Jr and Sr years much to the chagrin of the HC administration (and Worcester residents). Many of these homes have bought and/or demolished by HC over the last few years.

ngineer
October 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ironically, although Lehigh has gone through some rough storms over the past 15 years viz the Greek societies, I can say, having been involved in the Greek Alumni Council, that there is a real effort now at Lehigh to strengthen the system. Yes, there are 'accredidation' standards that must be met, but having seen such a hearing this past spring , I came away quite impressed with my own fraternity's presentation and told the Brothers that the power point presentation they had just completed was a great educational experience for what they will be doing in the real world before a management committee. It's not perfect, but with everyone being on the same page and reading in the same direction, I can see it working. In fact, Lehigh has opened to door to one of the former residential fraternities that was suspended a few years ago to return to "The Hill". Two others have reconstructed themselves as non-residential fraternities.

The non-objective criteria noted by the Lafayette BOT seems like a set up for a final fall. What is to say whether a group's academics are "comparable" to the rest of the student body, and if ONE frat or sorority 'fails' the test the entire system gets tossed? Under that thinking, if the football team's GPA is less than the student-wide GPA will they abolish football? Based upon the school faculty's antipathy toward athletics, this might not be as far-fetched as it sounds, but shows the lack of consistency in the BOT's thinking. Anyway, sorry to divert the thread...be on the look out for an interesting lawsuit being filed shortly against the College. I think a lot of 'natives' are on the warpath.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Not to put words in LFN's mouth. But I think his position is that the alums can (for now at least) counter the "three blind mice."

1. Mr. Bourger did not make that palatial gymnasium and that state-of-the-art field house to play in the D-III basketball tournament.

2. The money was not shelled out to renovate Fisher Field for Liberty HS/Freedom HS games.

3. Mr. Bourger and a cadre of well-connected alums, cannot totally control what goes on at the school, but they can make a gigantic impact. Drop everything to D-III, and they won't see a cent of money from them ever again. Is it too much to say that Lafayette could be ruined over it? I don't think so.

Faculty are faculty. They kvetch about a lot of things. But I have to believe when it gets down to it, the whole Lafayette administration has to listen to the rich guys that want D-I athletics. Even Mr. Weiss.

And carney, even if you go by your thesis:

These people would flush THE Game in a heart beat if (a) it furthered their immediate goals (which it ultimately will), and (b) they had the stones to face the storm it would cause.

The truth is they don't have the stones to piss off the guys donating the money. And it's debatable whether destroying a crucial piece of Lafayette's identity as a learning institution is furthered by that idea, too. After all, dropping to D-III isn't just about conceding defeat to Lehigh, it's also admitting that they can't be an Ivy League-ish school, either. I really don't think Lafayette wants to be Swarthmore - they want to rub elbows with Yale and Harvard, and to do that, they need to be D-I.

ngineer
October 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
ngineer, if I am not mistaken, both the GPA's and the graduation rates of the frat/sorority students at Lehigh are higher than those that are not in frats/sororities

You are correct. This past year both Greek system's gpa's were higher than the non-Greek student residential students. The problem is overcoming the stereotypes that have been ingrained for decades.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
1. Mr. Bourger did not make that palatial gymnasium and that state-of-the-art field house to play in the D-III basketball tournament.

2. The money was not shelled out to renovate Fisher Field for Liberty HS/Freedom HS games.

3. Mr. Bourger and a cadre of well-connected alums, cannot totally control what goes on at the school, but they can make a gigantic impact. Drop everything to D-III, and they won't see a cent of money from them ever again. Is it too much to say that Lafayette could be ruined over it? I don't think so.

Faculty are faculty. They kvetch about a lot of things. But I have to believe when it gets down to it, the whole Lafayette administration has to listen to the rich guys that want D-I athletics. Even Mr. Weiss.

The truth is they don't have the stones to piss off the guys donating the money. And it's debatable whether destroying a crucial piece of Lafayette's identity as a learning institution is furthered by that idea, too. After all, dropping to D-III isn't just about conceding defeat to Lehigh, it's also admitting that they can't be an Ivy League-ish school, either. I really don't think Lafayette wants to be Swarthmore - they want to rub elbows with Yale and Harvard, and to do that, they need to be D-I.

The faculty are going to have to live with the fact that we are Division I and will be for a long time to come. Weiss has made public statements to that effect. Walter Oeschle, who resigned from the BOT in 2004 over the appeasement of Arthur Rothkopf and not awarding scholarships, recently donated a boat load of money for a new global studies center. Oeschle is a smart man... do you think he did not donate a new center without conditional strings attached? Division I athletics and scholarships being among them?

It's a trade-off... faculty receive new academic center and building, plus Mikhail Gorbachev... alumni and athletics receive scholarships and commitment to Division I... think about... I speculated about this in the spring and I am standing by it...

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM

My goal is the open election of BOT members by the alumni. Donation without representation.

van
October 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
... and puppet shows!

Pards Rule
October 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Bollocks. You're going soft here, Pards Rule. My dad went to Hahvahd, but that doesn't mean I have to like the place. The aim here is to defeat your beloved Bison, and defeat them soundly.

The new Interpretive History Centre has consulted several experts in the field of factual expedience. Those experts have concluded that the only requirement for an invitation to the Orange Bowl in those days simply was to be "a small eastern college." Bucknell, like Manhattan College, Catholic U. and Duquesne, fit the bill and all became Orange Bowl participants. The Bison simply weren't doing anything better at the time, so they took a little trip south to Miami.

In my old age...Interesting I do recall reading an article about that game and the Bison railroading down the coast almost didnt play because their promised payout was short. I believe a last minute scramble soliciting business donations by the Orange Bowl folks saved that first game.

carney2
October 26th, 2011, 12:19 AM

Believe this or not, but at this point Mr. Bourger has only slightly more influence than me. As for THE Game, the powers that be are not out to torpedo it, but they certainly don't care about it as much as they should. The strategy appears to be gradualism - chipping away a little here and a little there. Right now fraternities are the target. They're "too white, too male and too exclusionary." That phrase is in quotes because it came from a faculty member in a public lecture. Rest assured that athletics in general, and football in particular, are on the "to do" list. Can a school with a student population of less than 2,500 which has just implemented a "Women's and Gender Studies" major (translation: gay studies) long co-exist with the 2,000 pound gorilla in their midst?

carney2
October 26th, 2011, 12:24 AM
The faculty are going to have to live with the fact that we are Division I and will be for a long time to come. Weiss has made public statements to that effect. Walter Oeschle, who resigned from the BOT in 2004 over the appeasement of Arthur Rothkopf and not awarding scholarships, recently donated a boat load of money for a new global studies center. Oeschle is a smart man... do you think he did not donate a new center without conditional strings attached? Division I athletics and scholarships being among them?

It's a trade-off... faculty receive new academic center and building, plus Mikhail Gorbachev... alumni and athletics receive scholarships and commitment to Division I... think about... I speculated about this in the spring and I am standing by it...

We agree to disagree.

Engineer86
October 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM
You are correct. This past year both Greek system's gpa's were higher than the non-Greek student residential students. The problem is overcoming the stereotypes that have been ingrained for decades.

This is because you can't join any fraternity with less than a 2.3 and many fraternities require a 2.6. You can always have a higher cum, if your restrict membership to those with a higher cum to start with. With a minimum of 2.6, your average will be much higher. It is sad that this hurdle is a key part of any membership other than the student body membership and clubs that truly claim to be purely academic based.

I am sure I am not alone in being barely eligible for some and not eligible for may Lehigh frats, but I learned enough there to do quite well. When was the last time you looked at a GPA in an interview. It is too bad that it plays such a key role in social memberships today.

van
October 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
100% last week again, here goes this week:

Lehigh should handle the Gate, although weather has me a bit concerned
Georgetown loses a close one to the Crossers, home field the edge
Army, but much closer than everyone thinks
Shoop due to go back to his old self, Bucknell in the upset at Fisher

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
100% last week again, here goes this week:

Lehigh should handle the Gate, although weather has me a bit concerned
Georgetown loses a close one to the Crossers, home field the edge
Shoop due to go back to his old self, Bucknell in the upset at Fisher

Shoop goes back to his old self? Apparently you have not seen the last two games... once Shoop became the permanent starter, he has been given more short plays (ie O'Neil's playbook) instead of verticals all the time. He still throws the long ball but is now a much more effective QB than the Stony Brook game.

RichH2
October 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Gate weather at gametime low 40s, 4-5 mph wind ,10% chanceof precip

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Gate weather at gametime low 40s, 4-5 mph wind ,10% chanceof precip

The weather really isn't going to be an issue. Quite frankly, for late, late October in Hamilton, it's going to be pretty nice. Lum and Co should be able to put up big numbers.

Where I live, about 15 minutes north of Scranton, the local weather guys are calling for a coating to an inch tomorrow night. Hamilton might get 3-4 inches.

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm getting an excellent feeling about this Colgate-Lehigh game. Good things could happen.

crusader11
October 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM

What has Fordham done at all this season to make you believe this?

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2011, 12:21 PM
What has Fordham done at all this season to make you believe this?

They have pretty uniforms.

(Actually they are dreadful- really a downgrade for the Rams)

carney2
October 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm getting an excellent feeling about this Colgate-Lehigh game. Good things could happen.

Exactly what is your definition of "good things?" Why is a Lehigh loss (my assumption as to your "good things") always a good thing for the Pards? Would you rather beat a 9-1 Squawk ranked 5 or 6 in the polls or an 8-2 Brownturd ranked somewhere around 17-20? THINK!

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Exactly what is your definition of "good things?" Why is a Lehigh loss (my assumption as to your "good things") always a good thing for the Pards? Would you rather beat a 9-1 Squawk ranked 5 or 6 in the polls or an 8-2 Brownturd ranked somewhere around 17-20? THINK!

It's important not only to beat Lehigh, but to keep the Shout n' Bawks out of the playoffs completely. A narrow Pard victory might still allow them to slip in as an at-large at 9-2.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
They have pretty uniforms.

(Actually they are dreadful- really a downgrade for the Rams)

Ugh yeah... my thoughts exactly when I first saw them from the top of the stands.

RichH2
October 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
It's important not only to beat Lehigh, but to keep the Shout n' Bawks out of the playoffs completely. A narrow Pard victory might still allow them to slip in as an at-large at 9-2.

For the sake of your sensitive egos wouldn't it be more of a positive to beat a 9-1 LU that goes to the playoffs and wins a game or 2.

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
For the sake of your sensitive egos wouldn't it be more of a positive to beat a 9-1 LU that goes to the playoffs and wins a game or 2.

Duly noted. I do not, however, wish to meet Lehigh at any time in the playoffs. That would mean that the 150th game would move from Easton to Bethlehem. Unacceptable under any circumstances.

RichH2
October 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Duly noted. I do not, however, wish to meet Lehigh at any time in the playoffs. That would mean that the 150th game would move from Easton to Bethlehem. Unacceptable under any circumstances.

Had not thought about that, interesting thought. I think i would agree on your side of the fence ( soon to be loaded with barbed wire )

carney2
October 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
is something wrong with you?

every Patriot League team benefits from having the most teams into the playoffs from the Patriot league

Are you new at this, Mr. Fan? Do you not know the meaning of disgust, revulsion, HATE?

van
October 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Or, would losing to a 9-1 team ranked top 5 be a moral victory?

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Are you new at this, Mr. Fan? Do you not know the meaning of disgust, revulsion, HATE?

Let's not pick on Mr. TheFan. He's learning. In fact, I'd like to help.

Mr. TheFan, I know that you're a Lehigh fan, but I couldn't help noticing that your avatar uses the Princeton University shield. Here's the actual Lehigh shield:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/607/lehighshield.png

In fact, just to show that I'm a good sport, I've re-sized it for you to fit AGS avatar dimensions. Here's a link to the re-sized version - just copy it right into your User Controls.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4259/lehighshield160.png

Feel free to use it as your avatar, and good luck with the rest of the season!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Army 49 Fordham 21 - The Black Knights will be without out their starting QB, it won't matter....

Lafayette 20 Bucknell 10 - The Bison's D is pretty good but their offense is horrendous.

Holy Cross 31 Gerogetown 21 - This should be a very telling game.

Lehigh 34 Colgate 13 - People always want to talk about Lehigh offense but their D is pretty darn good.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Lafayette and Lehigh could have met in the semi-finals of the 2004 playoffs... they were on the same side of the bracket... Lafayette would have had to beat Delaware and W&M, and Lehigh would have needed to beat James Madison and I think Furman for the showdown in Goodman and the right to advance to the national championship.

Sader87
October 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
HC 34 GTown 16 -- We've stumbled and bumbled as much as I did as a freshmen coming home from an off-campus keg party the last couple of weeks (yet still won both games)....look for the Saders to return to early season form.

Lehigh 21 Colgate 18-- Engineers eke one out in Hamilton...setting up the showdown next week.

Lafayette 31 Bucknell 14-- Bucknell's offense is, in a word, horrific...apt for Halloween weekend.

Army 38 Fordham 14-- A shame that Fordham is repping the league on the banks of the Hudson.

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Army 38 Fordham 14-- A shame that Fordham is repping the league on the banks of the Hudson.

And even more of a shame that the actual Patriot League member in this contest is Army, not Fordham!

crusader11
October 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
We've stumbled and bumbled as much as I did as a freshmen coming home from an off-campus keg party

Cool, you drank? Rep points!!!!

Sader87
October 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
A bunch of 87'ers are making the trek to Freshmen/Fitton this weekend crusader11, stop by for a libation if you're there.

crusader11
October 26th, 2011, 09:17 PM
A bunch of 87'ers are making the trek to Freshmen/Fitton this weekend crusader11, stop by for a libation if you're there.

Really wish I could. Living in Atlanta with little funds makes it hard to get back...50/50 for the Lehigh game though.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM
bogus, wow, thanks for the Lehigh shield, looks great

however, I will stick to the shield of my alma mater and will continue to be a hardcore Lehigh Football fan

the most fun part will be to see Lehigh beat Lafayette by about 54 points in the next game....

Very suspicious... this might be the first instance of an Ivy League alum rooting "down" the food chain.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Army 38, Fordham 10... these historic, old-time rivals meet for the fourth time ever! If Lafayette got their ground game going, think what Army will do.

Holy Cross 24, Georgetown 21... Holy war! HC had no ground game at Bucknell and really has me asking questions. I learned my lesson last week re: Hoyas, but this is just my gut pick here. Could go either way.

Lehigh 42, Colgate 14... Colgate gets pasted as the Engineers railroad their big time and primary rival. Gate has too many injuries and was really embarrassed last week.

Lafayette 28, Bucknell 7... I really think we are headed in the right direction and have a mission mentality. If we take care of the ball, our run D can contain the Bison. Their passing game should be contained and the Frankosaurus offense is finally called upon purposely to get the job done.

Is Lafayette really the last best hope to stop Lehigh?

Sader87
October 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Army 38, Fordham 10... these historic, old-time rivals meet for the fourth time ever! If Lafayette got their ground game going, think what Army will do.

Holy Cross 24, Georgetown 21... Holy war! HC had no ground game at Bucknell and really has me asking questions. I learned my lesson last week re: Hoyas, but this is just my gut pick here. Could go either way.

Lehigh 42, Colgate 14... Colgate gets pasted as the Engineers railroad their big time and primary rival. Gate has too many injuries and was really embarrassed last week.

Lafayette 28, Bucknell 7... I really think we are headed in the right direction and have a mission mentality. If we take care of the ball, our run D can contain the Bison. Their passing game should be contained and the Frankosaurus offense is finally called upon purposely to get the job done.

In a word, no. That would be Holy Cross.

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM
In a word, no. That would be Holy Cross.

I have to agree. The Holy Cross/Lehigh game is set the be the contest of the season. I'm annoyed that it won't be on WFMZ-TV locally. I don't know why - maybe the Hoyas are hawk-blocking it.

That said, prior records and season performance always have been tossed aside for the Lafayette/Lehigh game. One can only hope and pray that the Crusaders and the Pards both win. Defeat of Lehigh always is of paramount importance.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
What does Massey say for the HC-LU game? Can't check... but I remember seeing our odds increased from 10 to 12%! Watch out!

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2011, 10:26 PM
What does Massey say for the HC-LU game?

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/426/hcprobable.png

Sader87
October 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
**** Massey (sorry Father)....

CrusaderBob
October 27th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Cool, you drank? Rep points!!!!

Not only did we drink, Sader87 may be old enough to remember that every year back in the day a couple of upperclassmen would be selected to be the Campus Budweiser and Miller reps. That basically meant they were paid to take orders and deliver kegs for all parties on campus. A pretty sweet gig. I forget when the college decided to institute a policy that all kegs had to be procured through the college making the college the de facto campus rep. Sometime in mid to late 80's, I think.

MTfan4life
October 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Colgate
Georgetown
Army
Lafayette

Engineer86
October 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Colgate
Georgetown
Army
Lafayette

Chumming for a certain fan?

RichH2
October 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Not to jump past gate ( always a mistake), LU-HC game s/b close, thank God we are at Goodman. Taggert having a heck of a year. LU just a bit better across the board. Cross not bad anywhere but not great anywhere either.

crusader11
October 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Not to jump past gate ( always a mistake), LU-HC game s/b close, thank God we are at Goodman. Taggert having a heck of a year. LU just a bit better across the board. Cross not bad anywhere but not great anywhere either.

I agree. I think HC makes a good game of it, but Lehigh is 7-10 points better than we are. Although, the Holy Cross defense is probably the best Lehigh will have seen to date. Forcing some turnovers and baiting Lum into making bad throws/decisions will be integral to having a shot at winning.

carney2
October 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM

We'll know a lot more on Saturday after the "holy war," but I'm beginning to think that we might actually be looking forward to the 19th of November when Lum will be throwing into the strength of the Lafayette defense and Shoop will be throwing into the weakest part of Lehigh's. Both teams need to take care of business from here, and that will be a taller order for the Pards than for the Squawks.

Whodathunk even a few short weeks ago that this "conversation" would occur to anyone?!

van
October 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
We'll know a lot more on Saturday after the "holy war," but I'm beginning to think that we might actually be looking forward to the 19th of November when Lum will be throwing into the strength of the Lafayette defense and Shoop will be throwing into the weakest part of Lehigh's. Both teams need to take care of business from here, and that will be a taller order for the Pards than for the Squawks.

Whodathunk even a few short weeks ago that this "conversation" would occur to anyone?!

Hope springs eternal!

Pard4Life
October 27th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Not if we play zone D like we did last week! We lost last year on that very play... Ellis, back to the ball, LU on their goal line... third down... Lum lofts a pass, and I mean lofts one... a rookie duck hunter could have bagged that football from the top of the press box... reciever reels it in as Ellis realizes what's going on... LU scores like two plays later. We would have had great field position at the LU 40... that and the "Up the middle" part two... LU wins 20-13.

We gotta get to Lum if we want any chance of winning.

RichH2
October 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I agree. I think HC makes a good game of it, but Lehigh is 7-10 points better than we are. Although, the Holy Cross defense is probably the best Lehigh will have seen to date. Forcing some turnovers and baiting Lum into making bad throws/decisions will be integral to having a shot at winning.

Cross D solid, that db , forget his name , is very good. Problem is you cannot double both wrs .Also, Lum quite hard to sack, OL has settled down and is OK but Lum can run. That said I agree that Cross D will be the best we've seen this season .

crusader11
October 27th, 2011, 10:22 AM
You're thinking of Chandler Fenner, who is probably the best CB in the PL. Drawl and Spadola are a scary duo to cope with though...we will have our hands more than full.

carney2
October 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
We gotta get to Lum if we want any chance of winning.

There ya go bursting my balloon. This ain't happening. DE Mike Grimaldi is out for the year, further weakening a questionable defensive front, and DC John Loose will empty his gray matter reserves finding absolutely no way to stop Colgate's Nate Eachus (again). In any event, I think the Pards get past Bucknell and keep the dream alive for 9 more days.

TheValleyRaider
October 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Colgate
Georgetown
Army
Lafayette

xhighfivex

Pard4Life
October 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I really think we can stop Eachus because he and the rest of the team is not 100%... if their OL is not in top form we can shut them down. I also think we have a shot, though not great, at HC... every HC game since 2006 has been wacky and close, and I think every game since 2008 has been decided by less than a TD.

Bogus Megapardus
October 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm hoping just to get past Bucknell at this point. This is the first time in years - including last year - I can recall truly being concerned about this game.

RichH2
October 27th, 2011, 12:41 PM
One of the great aspects to PL. LU. GU,HC,LC and Gate all have a shot at title heck if the moons align Bison could be in it also. Spooky part for Lehigh is wecan win last 4games and in fact should easily win 3 of the 4. We could also lose3 of the 4. Doubtful but possible. Gate is always tough regardless of record.HC very good team . Hoyas weak schedule but they win and beat thehell out of a lame gate squad. Pards, heck records dont matter. Just trying to keep my stress level up to the correct level.

crusader11
October 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM
and there lies what is really scary about Lehigh

you cover Spadola, the top receiver in the FCS

and Lum goes to Drwal, a top 5 receiver in the FCS

you cover Drwal, and whamooooo

Lum goes to Barket out of the backfield, who proceeds to add another 10-20 yards after the catch

You are simplifying things a little too much here, big fella. It is not like HC will cover Spadola and leave Drawl to roam the field with no one around him. Holy Cross' linebacking core is top notch, as are the defensive line. I expect Lehigh to put up points, but they won't come easy. HC ranks close to the top 10 nationally in red zone defense.

Franks Tanks
October 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
and there lies what is really scary about Lehigh

you cover Spadola, the top receiver in the FCS

and Lum goes to Drwal, a top 5 receiver in the FCS

you cover Drwal, and whamooooo

Lum goes to Barket out of the backfield, who proceeds to add another 10-20 yards after the catch

Is there a new rule that states the defense can only cover one reciever at a time? Lum and Spadola are very good, but not unbeatable.

Fordhamanhattan
October 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I am going to say a prayer tomorrow on the Feast day of Saint Jude for the Fordham Maroon.

van
October 27th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Is there a new rule that states the defense can only cover one reciever at a time? Lum and Spadola are very good, but not unbeatable.

The FAN makes up the rules as he goes along!

Leopard Loyalist
October 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ Army
BUCKNELL @ LAFAYETTE

carney2
October 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
For those of you expecting a "close one" in Hamilton on Saturday, have you looked at the stats? Biddle's "defense" (in quotes for an obvious reason) has managed to hold only two opponents under 30 points this year - and even lost one of those. The Squawks will moidilate them, and possibly wear out the visitors' side of the scoreboard.

ColgateTD
October 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Squawks should be prepared for a snowfield. Heavy white stuff coming down now in central NY. Lousy conditions may even things up a bit...hopefully :)

Sader87
October 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Not only did we drink, Sader87 may be old enough to remember that every year back in the day a couple of upperclassmen would be selected to be the Campus Budweiser and Miller reps. That basically meant they were paid to take orders and deliver kegs for all parties on campus. A pretty sweet gig. I forget when the college decided to institute a policy that all kegs had to be procured through the college making the college the de facto campus rep. Sometime in mid to late 80's, I think.

One of my housemates was the Miller rep Jr and Sr year....good for the parties, not so good for the GPA.

van
October 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Squawks should be prepared for a snowfield. Heavy white stuff coming down now in central NY. Lousy conditions may even things up a bit...hopefully :)

Check your calendar, this is Thursday. The game is on Saturday. Geez, you gotta tell them Raiders everything!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM

The weather for Saturday continues to look pretty good, party cloudy with a high in the mid to upper 40's. All things considered, it should be a perfect late October afternoon for football in Hamilton, NY.

MTfan4life
October 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Chumming for a certain fan?

Nope, just attempting to pick an upset. Last road game of the season, ya never know.

carney2
October 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Check your calendar, this is Thursday. The game is on Saturday. Geez, you gotta tell them Raiders everything!

And I'm betting that rumors of invention of the shovel have reached even Hamilton.

van
October 27th, 2011, 08:33 PM
And I'm betting that rumors of invention of the shovel have reached even Hamilton.

Yeah, and they are very experienced with shovels!

Pards Rule
October 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping just to get past Bucknell at this point. This is the first time in years - including last year - I can recall truly being concerned about this game.

A trap game! STOP looking ahead to Colgate!! Dont get nixed in Saturdays mix!

TheValleyRaider
October 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, and they are very experienced with shovels!

The rest of you keep coming by, we have to be :D

Go...gate
October 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Lehigh 44, Colgate 14

Holy Cross 31, Georgetown 23

Army 38, Fordham 16

Bucknell 21, Lafayette 13

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2011, 10:04 PM
My game preview of Lehigh/Colgate:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/10/game-preview-lehigh-at-colgate-10292011.html

Incidentally - holy cow, Gaters. I thought the Colts had injury problems...

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 12:16 AM
You are simplifying things a little too much here, big fella. It is not like HC will cover Spadola and leave Drawl to roam the field with no one around him. Holy Cross' linebacking core is top notch, as are the defensive line. I expect Lehigh to put up points, but they won't come easy. HC ranks close to the top 10 nationally in red zone defense.

What we might also see emerge is the growin presence of Jamal Haggins the TE. He is very athletic and has done a nice job since Wickware went down. I understand Wickware is back, but it will be interesting to see how time is split between the two. Haggins could be a real force the balance of this year and next.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 07:26 AM
The weather for Hamilton, NY has certainly changed. Now they're saying pm rain with snow showers at night.

They're calling for 3-8 inches of snow in NEPA so travel could be very tricky for Lehigh fans.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM
What the bookmakers think:

Yale (-15½) at Columbia o/u 44½

Lehigh (-14) at Colgate o/u 55½

Brown (-9) vs Penn o/u 42½

Holy Cross (-7) vs Georgetown o/u 45½

Cornell (-6) at Princeton o/u 55

Lafayette (-6) vs Bucknell o/u 40½

Harvard (-21) vs Dartmouth o/u 47

Army (-31½) vs Fordham o/u 52

Other games of interest:

New Hampshire (-10½) vs Rhode Island o/u 61½

UMass (-1) vs Richmond o/u 52½

Maine (-17½) at Villanova o/u 46

Georgia Southern (-2½) at Appalachian State o/u 63

EDIT: and let's not forget those two recent, rascally PL foes . . . . North Dakota State (-4) vs Northern Iowa o/u 37

carney2
October 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Weather for Bucknell @ Lafayette is now 100% chance of snow.

RichH2
October 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Gametime in hamilton weather OK tough travel for today into tonight however.

Pard4Life
October 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
What's the NDSU-UNI line? I find it ironic we make fun of Fargo weather and it has not snowed there yet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 08:47 AM
What's the NDSU-UNI line? I find it ironic we make fun of Fargo weather and it has not snowed there yet.

It's crazy. I'm flying into Fargo next Sunday and have my fingers crossed the weather cooperates! It's actually been really nice out there the last few weeks.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 08:55 AM

North Dakota State (-4) vs Northern Iowa o/u 37

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
One other northeastern game; interesting not so much for the point spread but for the over/under:

Central Connecticut State (-5½) at St. Francis PA o/u 70½

This implies that both teams will score on pretty much every drive.

RichH2
October 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Pards ,a nite game this Sat? Looks like LV will get hit harder than Hamilton.

RichH2
October 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM
The FAN makes up the rules as he goes along!

Not to hop on Fan's loony mobile but you cannot cover Spadola or drwal with single man to man. Tough to double both which leaves rbs and Te with single coverage. Spadola speed deceptive as he is a long strider but he is a sub 4.4 / 40 wr.both are excellent at separation.

Gate D well geared for run not so much for pass. massive # of injuries. Starting lineup looks like a 4-6-1. 2ndary heavy and slow and inexperienced. 2nd string dbs much smaller and I assume faster. LU wrs 6'3", 6'1", 6'2" and 6'5".

Coming out of bye LU needs to get up to game speed quickly to put Gate behind, Gate will be dangerous if allowed to keep a lead for any length of time

colorless raider
October 28th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I agree Rich.

van
October 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
The weather for Hamilton, NY has certainly changed. Now they're saying pm rain with snow showers at night.

They're calling for 3-8 inches of snow in NEPA so travel could be very tricky for Lehigh fans.

Why would anyone want to travel to Hamilton? I'd rather go to Scranton.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Why would anyone want to travel to Hamilton? I'd rather go to Scranton.

Have you ever been to Scranton? xrolleyesx

RichH2
October 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Too true scranton is no carbondale

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Have you ever been to Scranton? xrolleyesx

LOL, exactly, although Scranton is still better than Wilkes-Barre. With that said, i'm glad I live about 15 minutes north of Scranton.

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Forecast now calls for rain/snow begining around 8 a.m. in Lehigh Valley. "They" are calling for a wet heavy snow, so with the leaves still on trees, could make for a lot limbs coming down ....and power lines. Still most think Valley only gets about an inch while Poconos get 3-4".

CrusaderBob
October 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Wow. This thread wandered more than usual this week.

Crappy week last week with only 1 correct, but if I had to be right on 1 it the 1 I want to be right on!

30 - 12 on the year.

LEHIGH @ COLGATE - Brownhawkineers have too much for the formerly Red Raiders

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS - Crusaders handle the WhatRocks!

FORDHAM @ Army - Black Knights barely touched by the Rams. Not even a flesh wound!

BUCKNELL @ LAFAYETTE - I have no idea how to read either of these teams. Home team gets the nod.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I knew Spadola was fast, but had no idea that he was a sub 4.4 runner - very impressed

He is fast, but I doubt he is sub 4.4 fast.

Justin Gatlin, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist in the 100 meter, ran a 4.42 in the 40 at the NFL combine. Other draft prospects have run sub 4.4's in recent years, so Gatlin may have not been in top form or perhaps had a slow start. Anyway the point is do we believe Spadola ran the 40 faster than an Olympic sprinting champion?

Ryan ran a 49.86 400 as a senior in HS,and finished 6th in his NJ group. Not bad at all, but not sub 4.4 40 speed. Spadola is a really good FCS wide reciever, and Lum is a really good FCS QB. However Mr. Fan needs to study a bit of history as neither guy may go down as the best in their position in the last 10-15 years at Lehigh.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Gee Franks, I somehow don't recall making this statement

Can you please find it and copy/paste it here?

thanks

Both guys are very talented, and deserve the credit and accolades they are recieving. However it isnt the first and wont be last time the PL had players of this caliber.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Looking way ahead, a question arises as to whether the Pards would dedicate their best CB/Safety combo (i.e. Ellis, Simmons) on Spadola and risk the big gain on the other side. Spadola is very good, but I'm not sure he's more of a threat than is Mitchell Bennett when Bennett is at full health.

carney2
October 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Forecast now calls for rain/snow begining around 8 a.m. in Lehigh Valley. "They" are calling for a wet heavy snow, so with the leaves still on trees, could make for a lot limbs coming down ....and power lines. Still most think Valley only gets about an inch while Poconos get 3-4".

The forecast is degenerating by the hour for the Lehigh Valley. There is now a "Winter Storm Warning" with forecasts of anywhere from 3-6 to 6-10 beginning in the afternoon and continuing through the Bucknell @ Lafayette 6:00 game.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
The forecast is degenerating by the hour for the Lehigh Valley. There is now a "Winter Storm Warning" with forecasts of anywhere from 3-6 to 6-10 beginning in the afternoon and continuing through the Bucknell @ Lafayette 6:00 game.

So much for Field Hockey, eh?

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM

carney, wear your long johns, you old coot!:p

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM

There's a joke about "long johnnies" in there somewhere, but I can't seem to come up with it.

van
October 28th, 2011, 07:54 PM
There's a joke about "long johnnies" in there somewhere, but I can't seem to come up with it.

I think long johnnies is a true oxymoron.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I think long johnnies is a true oxymoron.

There once was a Cantab named Donnie
Whose Johnnie was just a bit scrawnie
Crossed over the Chas
To a fine BU lass
And soon the coed was upon he

carney2
October 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM

"long johns" "old coot" Things are degenerating around here.

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM
There once was a Cantab named Donnie
Whose Johnnie was just a bit scrawnie
Crossed over the Chas
To a fine BU lass
And soon the coed was upon he

Sounds like,
She offered her honor,
He honored her offer;
And the rest of the night,
He was on her and off her.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hamilton is still in line for the best weather in the PL tomorrow.

The Weather Channel has 36-39*, 30% chance of flurries/drizzle
Accuweather has Partly Cloudy and 40-45* with no precipitation.

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM

Getting even worse.. Weather channel report has range from 7-11 inches through early Sun. a.m. Depends on how much comes down Saturday am/noon as rain before turning over to all snow around 6 p.m. 4-6 inches by 5 p.m., 3-5 additional inches by midnight. HOWEVER, HIGH WIND WARNINGS also no accompanying weather statement. 15-25 winds with sustained gusts of up to 45 mph. LV in the "expected power outage" band. I have no recall of such a snow storm this early in the year...ever. I do recall a few small snows of 1-2 inches that melted right away, but nothing like this.

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hamilton still in line for the best weather in the PL tomorrow.

The Weather Channel has 36-39*, 30% chance of flurries/drizzle
Accuweather has Partly Cloudy and 40-45* with no precipitation.

Maybe for the game, but they are going to get hit bad, too. Storm moving south to north. They may get stranded there after the game. Traveling south late afternoon into evening will be treacherous...especially for those buses.

MTfan4life
October 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Spadola is a little more than "very good"

he is the best wide receiver in the FCS at the moment

There is a difference between being the best wide receiver in the FCS and having the best statistics...It's pretty easy to rack up statistics when you're a talented athlete playing in the Patriot League. Edwards from Eastern Washington has proven to shine against quality competition and has comparable numbers to Spadola considering who Eastern has faced so far this season. He's faced Montana, Montana State, U of Washington, South Dakota, Sac. St., and Weber St. Spadola has faced Liberty and New Hampshire and had his worst game against UNH. Spadola has the best statistics, but is not necessarily the best wide receiver. Using your theory, you would have to say that Morehead State has the 4th best offense in the FCS, and they are 2-6 in the Pioneer.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe for the game, but they are going to get hit bad, too. Storm moving south to north. They may get stranded there after the game. Traveling south late afternoon into evening will be treacherous...especially for those buses.

Hamilton is going to be spared, less than an inch through Sunday A.M. They're not calling for much in Binghamton either. The Scranton/WB area seems to be the cutoff for the worst of the snow. The Poconos up through the Catskills and into the Berkshires are suppose to get crushed. CNY and the Southern Tier are going to luck out for the most part.

I can only imagine the ride in and out of West Point tomorrow.

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hamilton is going to be spared, less than an inch through Sunday A.M. They're not calling for much in Binghamton either. The Scranton/WB area seems to be the cutoff for the worst of the snow. The Poconos up through the Catskills and into the Berkshires are suppose to get crushed. CNY and the Southern Tier are going to luck out for the most part.

I can only imagine the ride in and out of West Point tomorrow.

Man, we must be looking at two different maps!

MTfan4life
October 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM
MT, gee, I don't remember talking about statistics for Spadola when I claimed that he was the best receiver in the FCS. In case you missed it, this is what I said:

What are you basing your claim off then? Is there any comparison whatsoever other than the fact you prefer Lehigh over other teams?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Man, we must be looking at two different maps!

There's no advisories or warnings from The National Weather Service for the Hamilton area. Since it's less than 12 hours until kickoff I have to believe that will hold true.

Hamilton is pretty far west, it's definitely Central NY.

Weather Channel
http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USNY0615:1:US

Accuweather
http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/hamilton/13346/forecast-details.asp?fday=2

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnews10_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 11:31 PM
There's no advisories or warnings from The National Weather Service for the Hamilton area. Since it's less than 12 hours until kickoff I have to believe that will hold true.

Hamilton is pretty far west, it's definitely Central NY.

Weather Channel
http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USNY0615:1:US

Accuweather
http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/hamilton/13346/forecast-details.asp?fday=2

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnews10_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

OK, I can see that Hamilton is further west than I envisioned. I picture it northeast of Scranton, but I guess it is more due north. I hope YOU are right!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM

Sigh.. this is why I've cancelled my plans to go to the game. I'm bummed about it.

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Sigh.. this is why I've cancelled my plans to go to the game. I'm bummed about it.

Hamilton doesn't have hotels or a hopping night life if the snow were to be bad?

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hamilton doesn't have hotels or a hopping night life if the snow were to be bad?

You got that right! One small 'quaint' hotel. Unless you can find a tube of Colgate coed to squeeze for the night! (;-)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 11:52 PM
You got that right! One small 'quaint' hotel. Unless you can find a tube of Colgate coed to squeeze for the night! (;-)

LOL

There's no doubt Hamilton is the outpost of the PL. I worked with a Colgate football alum and he even said it takes a different type of student to go there. He compared it to Dartmouth by saying only a certain type of IL caliber student considers it.

Go...gate
October 28th, 2011, 11:58 PM

No. Not much of either except the Colgate Inn. There are a couple of other places but not so hot.

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2011, 11:58 PM

If you're referring to the Colgate Inn, there's actually a second hotel there just outside of downtown, which will probably have spots. Even then, it's not too far to Sherburne or Morrisville. Or, if it's more your speed, Turning Stone is up the road in Oneida

Pards Rule
October 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
The weather for Saturday continues to look pretty good, party cloudy with a high in the mid to upper 40's. All things considered, it should be a perfect late October afternoon for football in Hamilton, NY.

What forecast do you subscribe to? Essentially, they are calling for rain changing to wet snow between 1-3PM today and accumulating to 6-10 inches in the Lehigh Valley this evening. I'll be looking for snow Leopards today - IM GOING TOO! PM me anyone else going!

Pards Rule
October 29th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Getting even worse.. Weather channel report has range from 7-11 inches through early Sun. a.m. Depends on how much comes down Saturday am/noon as rain before turning over to all snow around 6 p.m. 4-6 inches by 5 p.m., 3-5 additional inches by midnight. HOWEVER, HIGH WIND WARNINGS also no accompanying weather statement. 15-25 winds with sustained gusts of up to 45 mph. LV in the "expected power outage" band. I have no recall of such a snow storm this early in the year...ever. I do recall a few small snows of 1-2 inches that melted right away, but nothing like this.

Earliest recorded in Philly was about 4 inches of wet snow during the day on Oct 10, 1979. I was a senior in high school at the time. And I believe it was gone by the next morning.

Pards Rule
October 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Actually at 9AM just started to mix with freezing rain and Im seeing mixed in flurries too! Way earlier than projected and Im 10 miles due east of Philadelphia in Cherry Hill, NJ! Much earlier than predicted even down here - NWS was saying late afternoon for changeover. Yikes!

carney2
October 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Snow started in earnest in the Lehigh Valley at 9:00 AM. Roads are the question mark and the weather people state that it may or may not stick, depending on how hard it snows. That's a lot of help.

Southsider
October 29th, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's been snowing in Lower Saucon since 8:30 this morning! Just starting to lay on the grass.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Everything looks good along NY 12 enroute to Hamilton.

Bogus Megapardus
October 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Heavy, wet snow here just north of Princeton; about an inch on the car. Should not be trouble for Cornell/Princeton. As longs as the roads stay clear, I can't see much trouble getting to Easton for Bucknell/Lafayette, either.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Everything looks good along NY 12 enroute to Hamilton.

It's the way back I'm concerned about

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Don't forget about my Patriot League automated scoreboard, where you can follow the games, even in a snowdrift:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/p/football-live-scoreboard.html

Was 2-1 last week.

Lehigh
Georgetown
Army (by more than 35 points)
Lafayette

LehighU11
October 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
For those without CBS Sports Network, you can follow the game with Colgate's live game tracker here (http://www.sidearmstats.com/colgate/football/index.htm). It's very well designed and updated every play.
Looking forward to watching this Lafayette snow game later.

LehighU11
October 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Nate Eachus, what? Barkett already has 90 yards on 5 carries. This is looking like last year's route.

van
October 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Colgate radio coverage at http://www.teamline.cc

van
October 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Radio coverage quite a bit behind the game tracker!

Pard4Life
October 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
My power is having more trouble staying on than it did during the hurricane.

MTfan4life
October 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
MT, let me help you a little and maybe you might understand this:

Spadola is the best receiver in the FCS

I hope this helps

Haha, it's like talking football with a small child. In the real world, you use arguments to base your claims. You are simply saying that from watching this guy he is the best out of over a hundred other teams that you haven't seen. That's all you can say. If the kid wasn't hurt I'd give my vote to Kaufman from EWU, but Edwards is filling in superbly as their top receiver. However I will just say he is one of the best. No, not because I don't have the guts like you seem to. I just want to be logical. I'm sure you're reply will be just like the little kid argument of repeating exactly what you said the time before without any substance, but I have you pictured that way, so I'm fine with it.

Engineer86
October 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Georgetown 19 Holy Cross 0, late, all but over

ColgateTD
October 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Congrats to Hawks! Good game plan - good athletes - mistakes by 'Gate - no D from 'Gate. It all adds up to another blowout defeat for the Raiders :( Good luck in the tournament; hope you can go deep and give PL followers something to cheer about.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM

Army will run, run, run. Closer to 35-3 than some sort of 50+ effort.

Army 55, Fordham 0

I KNEW I should have become a betting man for a day! :P

Fordham
October 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Army 55, Fordham 0

I KNEW I should have become a betting man for a day! :P

wise words, LFN. Between the Oline and the D, this could be the worst Fordham team I've seen ... if not, ever, then certainly since the 90's. We weren't helped by trying to pass in the blizzard. Having our O rush off the field as quickly as they possibly could to let our D try to stop the Army running game was not a great strategy. Absolute embarrassment on the field today in what was otherwise an absolutely tremendous weekend.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM

wise words, LFN. Between the Oline and the D, this could be the worst Fordham team I've seen ... if not, ever, then certainly since the 90's. We weren't helped by trying to pass in the blizzard. Having our O rush off the field as quickly as they possibly could to let our D try to stop the Army running game was not a great strategy. Absolute embarrassment on the field today in what was otherwise an absolutely tremendous weekend.

The silver lining is that Michie in the snow is a memory that you and these kids will have for a lifetime. That is an awfully fun place to watch a college football game.

And I bet the paratrooper hit the 50 yard line xthumbsupx

ngineer
October 29th, 2011, 11:07 PM
The silver lining is that Michie in the snow is a memory that you and these kids will have for a lifetime. That is an awfully fun place to watch a college football game.

And I bet the paratrooper hit the 50 yard line xthumbsupx

They actually did that? With the lack of visibility, I would seriously doubt they did that. I've seen the Golden Knights and Leap Frogs cancel leaps at CBP because of weather conditions not as bad as I saw on tv.