PDA

View Full Version : Official Youngterrier eating crow thread.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'm only posting this here...not CS.com, not Terrierfans, and certainly not UFFP.

Furman humbled us today. No excuses, officiating was horrible but it went both ways (phantom holding calls, "bounce-passes" in our favor, bad spots everywhere), so honestly I don't think that was a factor. Furman dominated the LOS when they had the ball. We stopped the pitch, but not the dive. We couldn't defend the pass and defending the play action may in fact be the weakness of the defense. We're getting banged up pretty bad injury wise this year but we have a lot of depth so it's not an issue yet.

Offensively.....that was the worst game we've played this year. By far. Playcalling was predictable and uncreative after the first drive. Their linebackers lined up 5 yards off the LOS asking us to dive on some plays and instead we went to the pitch. Blocking on the perimeter needs work. We put the ball on the ground 3 times and threw 2 picks.

Furman did all it needed to to beat us. No turnovers, burned clock when they needed to, playaction kept our guys off balance to where we weren't as aggressive with run D. I don't know if they played so well defense because it's the third time they've played the TO or if it's because we played so poorly offensively. Probably a little bit of both. Credit to BF for a good game and his Dins are tough.

With all that being said....we still had an opportunity to win the game at the end. I'm still an optimist. Are we head and shoulders above the FCS? No. Are we still a top team to beat in the Socon? I still think we're top 2, and could still go to Frisco IMO or at least it's in us, but we have a long way to go. I would not want to be Elon next week, or any more of our opponents for that matter. You're going to see a very focused Wofford team from here on out. We can only afford to lose one more game, and now there's probably a sense of urgency. I personally hope Furman makes the playoffs. We didn't look up in this game by any stretch of the imagination and Furman wanted it more. The real question for Wofford the rest of the year is which team will show up, the team that played Clemson/App/The Citadel or the team that played PC/Furman. Time can only tell

Go Terriers!

PS: We'd still beat the hell out of Lehigh

eaglewraith
October 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Chattownmocs take note.

This is how real men roll.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Wofford=can lose a game in the Socon and make the playoffs
Lehigh=cannot lose a game in the Patriot
Wofford=would probably win every game in the Patriot
Lehigh=would probably lose 2 games in the Socon.

I rest my case. You're pathetic

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
spoken like a true high school wimp that is supporting a team that might not make the playoffs this year, Wofford

you say through a computer screen. Tough Guy.

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
You might as well give it a rest, YT. For a while at least. You won't get the last word (post).

TheFan was prepared to stay up all night, waiting for you to post.

matfu
October 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Youngterrier......I would LOVE to play you guys again in the playoffs!! But we would have to beat UTC, App and ELON. Tough but possible.

heath
October 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
You might as well give it a rest, YT. For a while at least. You won't get the last word (post).

TheFan was prepared to stay up all night, waiting for you to post.

Both Ladies have nothing better to do but bicker back and forth and stay up all night,think they need counseling? If I were a Wofford fan that has talked smack for weeks, I would become invisible and start to pray.Focus on the season not The Fan.............starting to wonder about you 2

blueballs
October 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Just to inject something into the fray but I wonder how Lehigh would do having to play a full SoCon schedule which would include a road game against an SEC team... there are some places in the SoCon (Statesboro and Boone in particular) that are most inhospitable, and as we have seen, the middle tier soCon teams (Chatty,Furman) are a tough out.

Instead of having one or two tests a year (one of which is home) let's try 7 tests with 3 or 4 being road games and see how it plays out.

Don't I remember Furman just destroying a one loss Lehigh team in the playoffs a few years ago and thinking somebody just got introduced to big boy football?

boonegoon
October 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Furman played well no doubt. But, I think this is the problem with Wofford. Once you get up on Wofford, I feel they start to make really bad decisions. They aren't good coming from behind. Maybe Ayers tends to feel uncomfortable and makes his Offense try to pass. Don't get me wrong, I think Wofford is a great team and one that will drive you batty when you are trying to stop them. I just think they have a harder time coming back than other teams may.

Horseshoe App
October 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Furman played well no doubt. But, I think this is the problem with Wofford. Once you get up on Wofford, I feel they start to make really bad decisions. They aren't good coming from behind. Maybe Ayers tends to feel uncomfortable and makes his Offense try to pass. Don't get me wrong, I think Wofford is a great team and one that will drive you batty when you are trying to stop them. I just think they have a harder time coming back than other teams may.

Wofford is a really good team, but their offense is not made to score quick. Their passing game feeds off of runs. When they have to pass, it gets hard on them. When they get ahead of you, it is a slow death. They just run on you perpetually. They don't know how to punt on anything under 4th and 5.

Engineer86
October 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Let's just enjoy, some great FCS football over the next few weeks. As a Lehigh alum, I would love to see a scholarship Lehigh in a conference like the SoCon where almost ever league game is a huge game, but we are where we are and i think this years team continues to get better, and will be competetive with most playoff teams.

First we have to get there, because on AGS, we could lose one and likely would be out given the huge hit we would take for it.

gasoutherneagle
October 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Wofford is going into that Lehigh game pi$$ed-on and pi$$ed-off. It's gonna be brutal, nasty and a blow-out! Wofford by 21!

gasoutherneagle
October 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Lehigh DID have a chance. Right up until Wofford lost this week. That chance is now desolved in acid laced with razor blades!

youwouldno
October 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Match-ups are often the key in any sport, so even though GSU and Wofford are both option teams, there are a lot of differences in plays and personnel. GSU's perimeter speed killed the Paladins but Wofford doesn't really have that. The most surprising aspect was probably Wofford's inability to stop the run, since they've been pretty good at it until yesterday.

crusader11
October 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
PS: We'd still beat the hell out of Lehigh

From an objective observer, no, you would not. It would be a great game.

crusader11
October 23rd, 2011, 11:42 AM

If Lehigh loses one game in the PL and finishes with a 9-2 record, they would absolutely receive an at-large bid (assuming they did not with the Patriot League).

RichH2
October 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Nice admit YT. The problem with being one dimensional. FAN aside, no one seriously argues that Lehigh , w/o scholarships could win consistently in Socon or CAA. Does not mean LU can win in playoffs. We,ve done it before.

heath
October 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;1703827]Wofford=can lose a game in the Socon and make the playoffs

you basically said the teams are equal-
Wofford=will probably lose 2 games in the Socon
Lehigh=would probably win every game in the Patriot
The only difference is that if Wofford were in the Patriot they'd have to get used to playing in front of 4-6,000 very quiet fans.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;1703827]Wofford=can lose a game in the Socon and make the playoffs

you basically said the teams are equal-
Wofford=will probably lose 2 games in the Socon
Lehigh=would probably win every game in the Patriot
The only difference is that if Wofford were in the Patriot they'd have to get used to playing in front of 4-6,000 very quiet fans.

Lehigh could lose at least 2 games in the Socon. I don't think Wofford will lose more than 2. We've had issues with perimeter blocking and that was apparent yesterday. We have speedsters in Nocek and Boyce who can block decently, but Boyce was hurt for some/most of the game. We need to give the ball to Donovan Johnson more on the pitch, and he needs to hold on to the ball more too. We still have a lot of potential and I still think we're a top 10 team with the potential to be a top team. There's no reason we can't beat GSU and there's no reason they can't beat us. Lots of teams have dropped a game and still made it to the NC. I watched Oklahoma lose last night, and I think if they played their best game they could beat any team in the country. It's why we have the playoffs.