PDA

View Full Version : GSU/ASU --- Let the banter begin

Pages : [1] 2 3

GSU Eagle
October 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
I fully expect a war next Saturday in Boone. We usually struggle in Boone (as Appalachian does in Statesboro).

A #1 ranked Appalachian team came to Statesboro last year. Fast forward 1 year and a #1 Georgia Southern team now goes to Boone. Of course I am hoping the #1 team this time wins.

Looking forward to a great game.

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Would love to get some payback....this one will be a slobernocker and hopefully another App/GSU (the real one) classic!!! Game of the week for sure and hopefully in front of 30K+

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Your rank doesn't mean **** at the Rock. The Stink is getting it's first conference L in 7 days.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
I don't care what the records are in any given year, Kidd Brewer and Paulson are Kryptonite to GSU and App. We're both 3-7 at each other's place. The Eagles are also historically bad in cold weather and it'll be chilly on that Godforsaken pile of rocks the Hillbillies call home. We'll need our best effort to come out on top. Looking forward to my steak at Peddler's Friday night, thoughxnodx

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
If we have less than 32k I'm a monkey's uncle.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM

Probably right. Announced attendance (butts in seats) for our game today vs Presbyterian was 16,000: subtract the 3,000 students present and add the entire student body and we had 33K paid today. It was more like 38k last week for Furman. If both teams play their best, it'll be 5K by halftime.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I haven't seen either team play but I'll give the edge to App State being at home.

gomocs82
October 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
ASU wins, close but no cigar for the Eagles in Boone...both prepping for a deep run in playoffs

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Probably right. Announced attendance (butts in seats) for our game today vs Presbyterian was 16,000: subtract the 3,000 students present and add the entire student body and we had 33K paid today. It was more like 38k last week for Furman. If both teams play their best, it'll be 5K by halftime.

Ok...trying to make some sence of this. You're saying all of your home attendees, sans students, are coming to the App game? And that all but 5k of our fans leave before halftime? Please verify so that I may respond accordingly.

eaglewraith
October 22nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
**** App

That's all I have to say.

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
I don't expect a win next week as I'm not sure our offensive line can keep Jackson upright enough to match GSU's scores. I hope I'm surprised. The key for ASU will be containing GSU's dline. This game will either be a GSU blow by 21, or an ASU win by 3. Crazier things have happened at the Rock, I'd like to see a game like 1999 again.

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I don't expect a win next week as I'm not sure our offensive line can keep Jackson upright enough to match GSU's scores. I hope I'm surprised. The key for ASU will be containing GSU's dline. This game will either be a GSU blow by 21, or an ASU win by 3. Crazier things have happened at the Rock, I'd like to see a game like 1999 again.

Samford had 0 sacks today. Just saying. I believe they blitzed as well and are no slouches on defense.

apaladin
October 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM

Crazy/strange things happen in Boone? You're kidding!

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Crazier things have happened at the Rock, I'd like to see a game like 1999 again.

I'd like to see a game like '09 again.

http://vimeo.com/7345321

Doubt that it's going to happen.

I'll just be happy to get a "W."

eaglewraith
October 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
I'd like to see a game like '09 again.

http://vimeo.com/7345321

Doubt that it's going to happen.

I'll just be happy to get a "W."

Thank you for finding that video for me. I intend on forwarding this to the coaching staff so they can help remind our team of that travesty so that it won't be repeated.

Expect a VERY pissed off Eagle team. And **** Black Saturday.

semobison
October 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Would love to get some payback....this one will be a slobernocker and hopefully another App/GSU (the real one) classic!!! Game of the week for sure and hopefully in front of 30K+

Should be a great game in Boone next week, I know I would love to watch it! I think the game in Fargo between UNI and NDSU gives this a run for game of the week though!

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Black Saturday will also put Paulson into perspective for some first time Boone visitors. You're farther behind than you realize....

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Thank you for finding that video for me. I intend on forwarding this to the coaching staff so they can help remind our team of that travesty so that it won't be repeated.

Expect a VERY pissed off Eagle team. And **** Black Saturday.

You're welcome.

Watch it twice.

:)

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Samford had 0 sacks today. Just saying. I believe they blitzed as well and are no slouches on defense.

The oline is getting better each game, BUT I also didn't see Brent Russell line up for Samford. That guy is a game changer. ASU is going to have to play much better game next week. The energy from the crowd should carry the team through the first quarter, we'll need GSU to put the ball on the ground a couple times to pull out the win though.

I said about 4 games into the season this ASU team has a ton of talent and will be a very dangerous team come playoff time. Unfortunatley for us we play GSU about two weeks to early.

GSU Eagle
October 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
App struggled to stop Wofford's offense so that gives me hope that we can move the ball vs. App. as well. Last year in Statesboro we pretty much stuffed App's running game which allowed Russell and our DLine to get after the quarterback.

It never is easy for the Eagles in Boone and I don't expect it to be next Saturday. Playing in weather in the 30s or 40s has not been real kind to us either.

I could easily see this game coming down to a couple of critical special teams plays

tractorapp
October 22nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
We are thin on defense and our kicking game has some serious issues. Certainly the offense has come alive since the QB change. Hope we can clean up the loose ends and make a game of it vs. East Georgia. Forecast is high in the mid-40's and rain showers so bundle up!

CropDuster
October 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
You're welcome.

Watch it twice.

:)

Watch this one too while you're at it. xrotatehx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUx5rFgzd0

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Here's the way I see it...GSU is going to attack App. State's 3-man front early. If App. State panics and sells out to stop the dive like Furman did, IMO we will run away with it. But, if App. State is patient and forces GSU to grind it out on the ground, eventually we will make mistakes that App. can capitalize on.

GSU's new DC doesn't like to blitz as much as our DC from last year, which IMO won't work as well for us in this year's App. game as last year's. I think JJ won't have as much pressure on him as DP did last year, and will probably be able to get outside the pocket more easily than he was.

One more note, I think KBS is going to be absolutely crazy. When you are at home and are an underdog against your rival, the atmosphere will always be electric. It was wild the last time App. State was a clear underdog at home (and no, I don't count App as an underdog against Richmond in 2008) when we played in Boone in 2001, and back then I don't think App. was even averaging 16,000 a game back then. Hope we're ready for it.

straightshooter
October 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
GSU starting O got a good rest today, as they played only the first half of the game. The only starter who played a single down in the second half was TE Tyler Sumner, and he didn't play many snaps. JJ Wilcox was cleared to play, but was held out to have him healthy for next week. GSU is bigger, faster and more experienced than in 2010 and App State seems to be finding some offensive rhythm, so this one should be a barnburner in Boone.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
I'm going to say Go GSU simply because Wofford and GSU control their own destiny :P No one wants App to win conference

Doc QB
October 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM

This makes no sense. Your stadium has two equivalent sides, holds maybe 16,000. One endzone now has a building in it. The other, the grassy hill, would therefore have to hold TWICE the stadiums full capacity to even reach 33,000 at Paulson. Not possible. Nor is 38,000 in that stadium for Furman. You must be high or I am reading your thread thru a haze similar to your cannabis induced one...

Could you clarify? You guys have long exaggerated the filling of your stadium, but this takes the cake.

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'm going to say Go GSU simply because Wofford and GSU control their own destiny :P No one wants App to win conference

I'd say we control our own destiny. We win out, we're conference champs no matter what happens with other teams.

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM

To say that NO ONE wants App to win the conference might be a bit off....

GSU EAGLES
October 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Your rank doesn't mean **** at the Rock. The Stink is getting it's first conference L in 7 days.

You ladies need to be more respectful towards the six-time champs!

Gringer1
October 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
This makes no sense. Your stadium has two equivalent sides, holds maybe 16,000. One endzone now has a building in it. The other, the grassy hill, would therefore have to hold TWICE the stadiums full capacity to even reach 33,000 at Paulson. Not possible. Nor is 38,000 in that stadium for Furman. You must be high or I am reading your thread thru a haze similar to your cannabis induced one...

Could you clarify? You guys have long exaggerated the filling of your stadium, but this takes the cake.

He was making a comment on App exagerating attendance. You missed the point of his statement which is that App juices their attendance my including all students that pay athletics fees. This is a rumor of uncertain validity. Georgia Southern doesn't inflate attendance much. In fact, they under-count more than they over-count.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Mr. C is looking forward to seeing his first Georgia Southern-Appalachian State game in person since the double-overtime game in Statesboro in 2006. This has the makings of one of the best games in a classic series. I can't wait for Saturday.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
I don't care what the records are in any given year, Kidd Brewer and Paulson are Kryptonite to GSU and App. We're both 3-7 at each other's place. The Eagles are also historically bad in cold weather and it'll be chilly on that Godforsaken pile of rocks the Hillbillies call home. We'll need our best effort to come out on top. Looking forward to my steak at Peddler's Friday night, thoughxnodx

Godforsaken pile of rocks? The view from KBS is one of the prettiest of any in the country. About the only other place I can think of that is better is La Playa Stadium, home of Santa Barbara City College. It is across the street from the Pacific Ocean and you have a view of the beautiful Channel Islands from the press box.

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
You ladies need to be more respectful towards the six-time champs!

On the next episode of "I <3 the 80's"....

GATA
October 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
This one isn't even gonna be close guys...App state STILL has a ton of talent. no doubt about that in my mind. Problem is...they now suffer from the same problem William & Mary had last year...they've become soft. Those championship-caliber ASU teams were tough...this team is not. That's why they lost to Wofford and that's why they'll lose next week.

They're still gonna make a playoff run because their talent level is that much better than the rest of the conference.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
This one isn't even gonna be close guys...App state STILL has a ton of talent. no doubt about that in my mind. Problem is...they now suffer from the same problem William & Mary had last year...they've become soft. Those championship-caliber ASU teams were tough...this team is not. That's why they lost to Wofford and that's why they'll lose next week.

They're still gonna make a playoff run because their talent level is that much better than the rest of the conference.

As happy as I am that you are saying something positive, have you not payed any attention to App. State's last 2 games?

T-Dog
October 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hello rednecks, **** you.

asumike83
October 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
He was making a comment on App exagerating attendance. You missed the point of his statement which is that App juices their attendance my including all students that pay athletics fees. This is a rumor of uncertain validity.

It is a rumor of no validity. ASU has 17,000 students and if they were all added into the attendance every week, the figures would be in the high 30's. I'd say roughly half the student body shows up on game day. Plus, how could we have 15,000 at a playoff game if they include all 17,000 students in the attendance figures?

gsueagle02
October 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM
As a GSU fan I tend to get caught up in home attendance as well. The one thing no one ever seems to bring up is ROAD attendance. You can ALWAYS count on a great turnout by the traveling eagle nation. I hope your attendance record is broken at this game due to 7,000+ GSU fans squeezing in. Should be a great game!

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
Lets go appy! :D

AppMAN04
October 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM
I cannot wait for next Saturday!! Gonna be a good one and GSU always a good game. I have no doubt in my mind that they attendance record will be broken.. I hope Eagles can handle cool weather and a see of black

GO APPS!!

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 02:00 AM
As a GSU fan I tend to get caught up in home attendance as well. The one thing no one ever seems to bring up is ROAD attendance. You can ALWAYS count on a great turnout by the traveling eagle nation. I hope your attendance record is broken at this game due to 7,000+ GSU fans squeezing in. Should be a great game!
Haha wow really? But seriously, you're coming to the Rock. If there's >5k white shirts there I'll buy you a beer.

AppMAN04
October 23rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
Haha wow really? But seriously, you're coming to the Rock. If there's >5k white shirts there I'll buy you a beer.

Yeah I totally agree!! I think 5K will be pushing it, especially since we are pretty stingy with our tickets.. Like to keep them ish for ourselves..lol

Baldy
October 23rd, 2011, 03:34 AM
There won't be anything close to 7,000 GSU fans there, but one thing is for sure, we will have 5X the number of fans in Boone on Saturday than what Appy has ever brought to Statesboro. For having such 'wonderful' 'dedicated' fans, Appy fans don't travel worth a isht. xsmhx

seantaylor
October 23rd, 2011, 03:37 AM

Crazy talk. GSU is way more talented across the board than Appy. We'll see who wins with the big home field advantage.

I know you are red-boned and owe me cash, and of course have never played the game, but come on.

Horseshoe App
October 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Crazy talk. GSU is way more talented across the board than Appy. We'll see who wins with the big home field advantage.

I know you are red-boned and owe me cash, and of course have never played the game, but come on.

You said GSU was more talented when we won 3 titles in a row. From the games I watched, the talent looks pretty even. We are light butted and young in the offensive line, which could really hurt with your stout d line. We are sort of like your team last year. We are really young, but maturing fast. Hopefully, we can make a game of it.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
There won't be anything close to 7,000 GSU fans there, but one thing is for sure, we will have 5X the number of fans in Boone on Saturday than what Appy has ever brought to Statesboro. For having such 'wonderful' 'dedicated' fans, Appy fans don't travel worth a isht. xsmhx

I was at the game in Statesboro when App won in OT, 2006 I think, there may have been 5k App fans there. Of course, I did not count them, not sure how to get anything other than a wild guess anyway. There's no way there were less than 3k there. If y'all bring more than 3k to Boone, I'll be more than surprised. Isht.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM

Soft? Nah. I saw some pretty hard licks given yesterday afternoon.

Young, maybe. Inexperienced, maybe.

But, we're getting older & more experienced with every game. You'll see. I cannot WAIT for next Saturday. It's gonna be hard to get much done this week.

asumike83
October 23rd, 2011, 07:14 AM

We've sold all the tickets allotted to us every time we have played in Statesboro in recent years. How many fans do you expect to drive 5 hours with no ticket? We can only bring as many fans as there are available seats. The regular ASU traveling crowd is about the same as the GSU contingent I've seen in Boone. Both programs travel about as well as anyone at the FCS level.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 07:23 AM

One more point. I checked the GaSo schedule & am reminded that y'all have yet to play Wofford. Except for Chatty & Furman, you really haven't played anybody.

Tusculum?
Presby?
Western?

Really? It's gonna be fun Saturday.

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM

If y'all only count the white shirts as being GSU fans, then we'll probably only have about 100 there. I don't even have a guess at how many we'll have, but I can say that my group of 6 is one of many who weren't confident that we would get tickets from those allotted to GSU, so we bought them through App's ticket office months ago. Not every GSU - ASU game is a barnburner, but this certainly has all the makings of one and I wouldn't miss it.

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
This is going to be my first trip to boone, i'm pretty nervous about how the ASU fans will treat my group, hopefully there will be some mutual respect and nobody looking for a fight, i'm really excited to see the atmosphere at KBS.

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM

must you really post this garbage, Appy is no pushover

asumike83
October 23rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
This is going to be my first trip to boone, i'm pretty nervous about how the ASU fans will treat my group, hopefully there will be some mutual respect and nobody looking for a fight, i'm really excited to see the atmosphere at KBS.

Nah, it is nothing like that. I would expect a healthy amount of boo's if you walk through the student tailgate but I've never seen a fight on game day. I will be there as well and am expecting a GREAT crowd, enjoy the game!

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2011, 08:29 AM

Nah, it is nothing like that. I would expect a healthy amount of boo's if you walk through the student tailgate but I've never seen a fight on game day. I will be there as well and am expecting a GREAT crowd, enjoy the game!

This will be my 5th or 6th visit to the rock. We've experienced worse than boos on a couple of the trips, but I've never seen any physical confrontations. Heck, even though they are all wearing App State shirts, all the merchants in town seem to like us.:)

asu70
October 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM

App will be missing 3 of their best defensive player in Tanyai, Gainey, and Brewery who are all star type players as well as a starting safety in Blalock. All of these missed the Stamford game, but as Taylor says, with the vast difference in talent that GSU has and the loss of such talented D players for App....I can see why he thinks App has no chance. Also, I'm sure eagle fans will take over "The Rock" as they did at Wofford in the playoffs.

straightshooter
October 23rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
The 2011 GSU team is much better than the 2010 team ASU faced in Paulson - bigger, faster, stronger, more experienced in the offense and experienced in big games on the road (see 2010 playoffs). The question is whether or not the 2011 ASU team is better than the 2010 team. The new wrinkles in the GSU offense (think Wofford only much faster) could give ASU some problems, just as the mobility of JJ could give GSU problems. GSU is throwing the ball more effectively this season with faster WR and A-backs in the lineup than in 2010. The home field advantage is real in Boone, just as it is in Statesboro, but GSU has proven it can win in Boone, just as ASU proved it could win in Statesboro during the GSU dark period (2006-2009).

This will be a great game and both teams know what's at stake. It may come down to which defense steps it up the most. Both teams have lots of offensive firepower. If the game comes down to special teams, GSU most likely has a decided advantage. Punter Charlie Edwards is one of the best in FCS and PK Adrian Mora probably is the best in FCS - a record 135/135 in career PAT and 10/10 this season in FG with a long of 49. GSU has blocked three kicks in the past two games and KR Laron Scott is one of the top returners in the nation.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Black Saturday will also put Paulson into perspective for some first time Boone visitors. You're farther behind than you realize....

There should be a plaque on your new facilities thanking President Bruce Grube and RB Baker Construction for hiring Brian Van Gorder at GSU and sending Armanti Edwards to App. That one decision cost Ga Southern 4 years of football allowing App to temporarily replace us as the premier program in FCS. 2010 and 2011 are just previews of what GSU will be. We're just pretty good right now and vulnerable to anyone. I won't be the least bit surprised if App wins, but I won't be impressed by a bunch of bandwagon Hillbillies who just started coming to games 5 years ago.

boonegoon
October 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
This will be my 5th or 6th visit to the rock. We've experienced worse than boos on a couple of the trips, but I've never seen any physical confrontations. Heck, even though they are all wearing App State shirts, all the merchants in town seem to like us.:)

The idiots are the exception, not the rule. Just like every other hyped up fan base. Boone is a town full of nice people and I think the vast majority of the students are level headed individuals and know that this is just a sport. The problem is the obnoxious fans everywhere are the squeaky wheel. Best of luck, hope you lose but have a great time.

Horseshoe App
October 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
There should be a plaque on your new facilities thanking President Bruce Grube and RB Baker Construction for hiring Brian Van Gorder at GSU and sending Armanti Edwards to App. That one decision cost Ga Southern 4 years of football allowing App to temporarily replace us as the premier program in FCS. 2010 and 2011 are just previews of what GSU will be. We're just pretty good right now and vulnerable to anyone. I won't be the least bit surprised if App wins, but I won't be impressed by a bunch of bandwagon Hillbillies who just started coming to games 5 years ago.

You guys didn't know what Armanti was at that point. Our coaches thought Coco Hillary would be the better quarterback when we recruited them. While Armanti was really good in high school, a guy like B.J. Coleman at UTC was more of a sure bet and we see how that worked out. Recruiting at out level is a crap shoot some times. Jayson Foster comes to mind. A little guy fast as lightning who made a difference at this level. We just got lucky and got Armanti. We knew he was a good player, but who could have dreamed a skinny guy from Greenwood, SC, who Clemson wanted to make a db, would turn out like he did. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Doc QB
October 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
He was making a comment on App exagerating attendance. You missed the point of his statement which is that App juices their attendance my including all students that pay athletics fees. This is a rumor of uncertain validity. Georgia Southern doesn't inflate attendance much. In fact, they under-count more than they over-count.

Thx, G1...i clearly missed the sarcasm and showed my ignorance as an outsider to the rivalry. Should be a whale of a game, with huge national implications, wish it was televised here in baltimore. Best of luck to all.

Baldy
October 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
I was at the game in Statesboro when App won in OT, 2006 I think, there may have been 5k App fans there. Of course, I did not count them, not sure how to get anything other than a wild guess anyway. There's no way there were less than 3k there. If y'all bring more than 3k to Boone, I'll be more than surprised. Isht.

Since the stands on that side of the field hold a little over 7K and Appy fans filled only a fraction of 1 section, your 5K estimation is probably a little too high. :D xlolx

Gringer1
October 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thx, G1...i clearly missed the sarcasm and showed my ignorance as an outsider to the rivalry. Should be a whale of a game, with huge national implications, wish it was televised here in baltimore. Best of luck to all.

It will be on ESPN3. Also PBS in southern states, but that's a whole other can of worms not fit for this thread.

Baldy
October 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
We've sold all the tickets allotted to us every time we have played in Statesboro in recent years. How many fans do you expect to drive 5 hours with no ticket? We can only bring as many fans as there are available seats. The regular ASU traveling crowd is about the same as the GSU contingent I've seen in Boone. Both programs travel about as well as anyone at the FCS level.
You might need to have a discussion with your administration and request an allotment increase because Furman and The Citadel bring way more fans than App does. Besides, everyone knows this already, we have plenty of room, don't 'sell out', and will sell tickets to everyone who walks up and asks for one.

Baldy
October 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
One more point. I checked the GaSo schedule & am reminded that y'all have yet to play Wofford. Except for Chatty & Furman, you really haven't played anybody.

Tusculum?
Presby?
Western?

Really? It's gonna be fun Saturday.
As compared to Savannah State and North Carolina A&T? Seriously? xeyebrowx xlolx

asu70
October 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM

You might be surprised that those bandwagon fans averaged 21,636 including playoff games in 2005 before we won our first NC....wonder how many GSU averaged that year? Also, to give you a little more App attendance history, App averaged 15,584 fans from 1990 to 2005 which include home playoff games. During this period the largest crowd was over 26k against FU. Now I know these averages don't hold a candle to GSU during this period because App had no NC and GSU won several...but still pretty good for a little old hillbilly school hidden way back up in the mountains. Also, for fans that are so concerned about Apps attendance figures, App uses a scanning system which to me means errors would come from missing scans which would translate to a smaller attendance figure.

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
I think ASU will be leading at halftime and GSU will pull out the victory by 9 points.

Mr. C
October 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM

I was just talking with one of the senior administrators about attendance this morning. She told me that the count is reached by actual tickets sold, plus a count of all the workers, university personnel, media, etc. just like it is done most places. Only students walking in the gates are counted.

Now where figures for playoff games are concerned, we all have wondered if everyone fudges on those figures to keep more money from the NCAA ...

Mr. C
October 23rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
The 2011 GSU team is much better than the 2010 team ASU faced in Paulson - bigger, faster, stronger, more experienced in the offense and experienced in big games on the road (see 2010 playoffs). The question is whether or not the 2011 ASU team is better than the 2010 team. The new wrinkles in the GSU offense (think Wofford only much faster) could give ASU some problems, just as the mobility of JJ could give GSU problems. GSU is throwing the ball more effectively this season with faster WR and A-backs in the lineup than in 2010. The home field advantage is real in Boone, just as it is in Statesboro, but GSU has proven it can win in Boone, just as ASU proved it could win in Statesboro during the GSU dark period (2006-2009).

This will be a great game and both teams know what's at stake. It may come down to which defense steps it up the most. Both teams have lots of offensive firepower. If the game comes down to special teams, GSU most likely has a decided advantage. Punter Charlie Edwards is one of the best in FCS and PK Adrian Mora probably is the best in FCS - a record 135/135 in career PAT and 10/10 this season in FG with a long of 49. GSU has blocked three kicks in the past two games and KR Laron Scott is one of the top returners in the nation.

Bigger, faster, stronger ... Are they bringing back the Six Million Dollar Man?

SideLine Shooter
October 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
You might need to have a discussion with your administration and request an allotment increase because Furman and The Citadel bring way more fans than App does. Besides, everyone knows this already, we have plenty of room, don't 'sell out', and will sell tickets to everyone who walks up and asks for one.

Well, maybe some people just don't like to go to Statesboro. I can certainly understand why.

straightshooter
October 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM

No, but GSU's off season weight/speed program showed remarkable results from 2010 to 2011. The GSU strength coach is a certified speed specialist, and the speed times of virtually every GSU player improved - some markedly so. There were also big improvements in strength and player size, especially the skill players. For instance, QB/A-back Jerrick McKinnon has put on about 15 pounds since he got to GSU as a freshman last year. His 40 time went from 4.55 in August 2010 to 4.41 this season, and you can see the difference on the field.

GSU has some players this season that weren't on the field last year. Starting AB Jonathan Bryant was injured in game one last year and missed the season. He is very fast and is a great receiver. A-back JJ Wilcox has added weight and is a step or two faster. WR Kentrellis Showers adds a speed component to that group that wasn't there last season and highly touted true freshman WR Zach Walker is getting open more and more as he learns the offense. At B-back, starter Robert Brown has added about 10 pounds to his frame and is a step faster. His backup, true freshman Dominique Swope has proven to be very effective between the tackles. He has good enough speed to be one of the Eagle's punt returners.

I'm sure that all teams can boast of strength and speed improvements from year to year, but the difference with GSU is truly noticeable on the field.

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
This will be back and forth all afternoon. I see GSU winning by 3 or 4 on a late score after an ASU turnover.

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
I would expect we don't bring as many fans, though I've never been to Stinkboro. Our school is an a beautiful tourist destination and theirs is next to a smelly creek in BFE.

Mr. C
October 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
I would expect we don't bring as many fans, though I've never been to Stinkboro. Our school is an a beautiful tourist destination and theirs is next to a smelly creek in BFE.

Every FCS fan should make a sojourn to Paulson Stadium at least once. It is a great atmosphere for a game, one of the best in FCS. Just remember the insect repellent for those sand gnats.

Baldy
October 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
That's a shame, I follow my team everywhere to support and see it play. That even includes ****holes like Athens AND Boone. xchinscratchx

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Athens and Boone are two classy, fun college towns. Thanks for lumping us with them

Skjellyfetti
October 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Athens and Boone are two classy, fun college towns. Thanks for lumping us with them

Seriously. xlolx

Athens and Boone are both awesome towns. And far better places in every way than Statesboro, GA. xrotatehx

asu70
October 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
That's a shame, I follow my team everywhere to support and see it play. That even includes ****holes like Athens AND Boone. xchinscratchx

I agree with your second sentence, but I would never trade ASU and Boone for GSU and Statesboro. I've only missed one game in Statesboro that App's played over the years. I've met some rude GSU fans and App has a few of their own, but both fan bases have many more great fans that see a great rivalry each year whether in Boone or Statesboro.

seantaylor
October 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Seriously. xlolx

Athens and Boone are both awesome towns. And far better places in every way than Statesboro, GA. xrotatehx

If you like homosexuals, Athens is great. Gay capital of the south

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2011, 01:16 PM

http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/25-news/273-football-and-gay-tailgating-in-the-blue-ridge-mountains

If you can handle a grill, I could care less if you also handle cock.

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/25-news/273-football-and-gay-tailgating-in-the-blue-ridge-mountains

If you can handle a grill, I could care less if you also handle cock.
Yeah but they have to wash their hands

SideLine Shooter
October 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM

I thought Chapel Hill had that title.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Wofford's pitch game killed App. think about that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2011, 02:03 PM

Biggest thing I noticed about that game is that Breitenstein rushed for ~170 yards. Don't know if Robert Brown is quite as good as him, but I think we're going to run them at App's 3-man front all day.

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM

Your defense beat us. We should/can now score more than 28 points. We usually play poorly in high school stadiums.

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Biggest thing I noticed about that game is that Breitenstein rushed for ~170 yards. Don't know if Robert Brown is quite as good as him, but I think we're going to run them at App's 3-man front all day.

Assuming we run a 3 man front... We have multiple sets. I think the Stink will eventually start to throw the ball. And they might be pretty successful.

gseagle
October 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
is app still using that "No Equal" slogan?

Skjellyfetti
October 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM

yes

Gringer1
October 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM

The shelf life on that slogan isn't as obviously limited as G-State's "undefeated" one was...

Skjellyfetti
October 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Also, we've improved drastically in every phase of the game since Wofford. I wouldn't put too much stock in those results.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'd say that offensively App State is a better team now than they were against Wofford. Defensively we'll just have to see in terms of defending the triple option. Furman played the TO for the third time this season and played it very well, can App do the same? they'll need to

straightshooter
October 23rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
GSU runs a lot more counter option stuff out of the gun than Wofford does and the Flexbone Option from under center still demands a defense to cover all three phases of the offense. These added wrinkles to the GSU attack have given teams lots of trouble so far. GSU doesn't throw it much, but they have been very effective in doing so when needed.

AppStsGr8
October 23rd, 2011, 02:55 PM

If you're polite and enjoy talking good football, you won't have any trouble. As in every crowd of football fans, there will be some horse's behinds. There will also be plenty of exceptionally polite folks willing to share their tailgate with you. Travel safely. See you at The Rock!

I-16Bandit
October 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Will be my first time to Boone as well, and I'm excited as hell.

eaglesrback
October 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Will be my first time to Boone as well, and I'm excited as hell.

For the most part, they are a bunch of pretty cool goat humpers!Safe travels, should be another classic in Boone!

GATA
October 23rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
I went to Boone one time...

still trying to get the smell of rotten crotch off of my clothing. The women up there smell like ****. The town is cute though.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Your defense beat us. We should/can now score more than 28 points. We usually play poorly in high school stadiums.

Considering we had a 10 minute drive cut off by a dumb pass, I'd say we could have scored more than 28 points. It could have been a lot worse for the Apps

Horseshoe App
October 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Considering we had a 10 minute drive cut off by a dumb pass, I'd say we could have scored more than 28 points. It could have been a lot worse for the Apps

Same one way comment. I thought we already had this conversation. Yes, you won but it was not the thrashing you want everyone to think it was. Do you remember, we missed three field goals(two of them short) and turned it over on downs inside your 40. Mistakes go both ways. As I said earlier, I hope we get another chance to play Wofford. By the way, I sort of like your stadium. It is a lot warmer there this time of year rather than being in Boone:)

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 05:25 PM

I understand your post. I had the same concerns on my trips to GaSo. My advice is that if you go looking for a fight, you'll probably find one; but, if you don't, you won't. Be prepared for some ribbing. And, I hope all you find are good sports.

Good luck, and may the best team win on Sat.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM

This thread just took a turn to the weird. Let's get back to football.

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Every FCS fan should make a sojourn to Paulson Stadium at least once. It is a great atmosphere for a game, one of the best in FCS. Just remember the insect repellent for those sand gnats.

Agreed.

HighCountry
October 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Black Saturday Eave Eave Eave Eave Eave Eave...cannot wait for this game. We've got a really great fan base but with this being BLACK SATURDAY and against GaSo I expect the fans to raise all sorts of hell come game time.

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Are these teams really at the pinnacle of FCS football? Is this really the height of FCS football. If so I am extremely dissapointed that Chattanooga sucked so bad for so long. A bunch of Freshman and Sophomores and a few Rodney Allison leftovers can lose by a combined 3 points on the road to these teams without even playing well.

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
ASU's home record versus #1.

1994 – W vs Marshall 24-14
1996 – L vs Marshall 24-10
1999 – W vs GSU 17-16
2001 – L vs GSU 27-18
2011 - ? vs GSU

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2011, 06:03 PM

I agree with your second sentence, but I would never trade ASU and Boone for GSU and Statesboro. I've only missed one game in Statesboro that App's played over the years. I've met some rude GSU fans and App has a few of their own, but both fan bases have many more great fans that see a great rivalry each year whether in Boone or Statesboro.

I understand your post. I had the same concerns on my trips to GaSo. My advice is that if you go looking for a fight, you'll probably find one; but, if you don't, you won't. Be prepared for some ribbing. And, I hope all you find are good sports.

Good luck, and may the best team win on Sat.

Thanks to all of you guys for trying to bring some reason to the conversation, though I don't know if that's possible when we're talking GSU - ASU. I made a trip to the Bass Pro Shop today, so I think I'm prepared for whatever the weather may be; I hope that our boys are, too. See y'all Thursday, and more importantly, Saturday!

Gringer1
October 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Are these teams really at the pinnacle of FCS football? Is this really the height of FCS football. If so I am extremely dissapointed that Chattanooga sucked so bad for so long. A bunch of Freshman and Sophomores and a few Rodney Allison leftovers can lose by a combined 3 points on the road to these teams without even playing well.

Your trolling gig is past its expiration date. GSU and App are the two most recognized names in FCS football. The game between these teams is almost always a classic. I'm sorry that your team doesn't have any real rivalries and is an afterthought in the SoCon, but this thread is no place for you to go seeking attention. This is the game of the week across all of the FCS and if you can't see that, I invite you to join your true favorite team as they continue their SEC winless streak against South Carolina this weekend.

GSU EAGLES
October 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'd say that offensively App State is a better team now than they were against Wofford. Defensively we'll just have to see in terms of defending the triple option. Furman played the TO for the third time this season and played it very well, can App do the same? they'll need to

That is hard to believe considering how bad they looked against us the week before. They looked completely helpless against us.

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Your trolling gig is past its expiration date. GSU and App are the two most recognized names in FCS football. The game between these teams is almost always a classic. I'm sorry that your team doesn't have any real rivalries and is an afterthought in the SoCon, but this thread is no place for you to go seeking attention. This is the game of the week across all of the FCS and if you can't see that, I invite you to join your true favorite team as they continue their SEC winless streak against South Carolina this weekend.

Well the game of the week should be NDSU and UNI..So you fail

Saint3333
October 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah that NDSU/UNI rivalry is unbelievable no reasonable FCS fan would pick a matchup of two top five teams in GSU at ASU in front of 30K+ screaming fans on Black Saturday over that game.

I encourage all ASU and GSU fans to refer to chattownmocs as "EF" from now on. Every post he makes is an EPIC FAIL.

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah that NDSU/UNI rivalry is unbelievable no reasonable FCS fan would pick a matchup of two top five teams in GSU at ASU in front of 30K+ screaming fans on Black Saturday over that game.

I encourage all ASU and GSU fans to refer to chattownmocs as "EF" from now on. Every post he makes is an EPIC FAIL.

Whereas I would suggest that all ASU and GSU fans ignore chattown and truly drive him crazy. failing that, I'll go with your plan, however.

AppMan
October 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM

ASU has NEVER taken 5K to Statesboro and GSU has NEVER come close to bringing 5K to Boone. 5K is what the entire lower section of the East Stands holds and the most I've ever seen out of an Eagle crowd is about two sections. Of course if ASU had taken 5K to Paulson it would have taken roughly 35% of their seats since Paulson actually sits 14,000 (your AD Baker let it slip out a few years ago) and not the 18,000 they have always claimed. Kinda like ASU claiming old Varsity Gym sat 8,000 when it actually was a little less than 6,500. ASU & GSU get in more butts than the posted seating numbers primarily because students pack in so tight.

Georgia Southern Football Has No Need to Play Georgia State by Jason Cassels • Feb 17, 2011 6:14 PM EST

"Georgia Southern never sells out Paulson Stadium because there are plenty of grass seats. However, stadium capacity is officially 14,000, and the Eagles averaged over 20,000 in the 2010 regular season."

asu70
October 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all of you guys for trying to bring some reason to the conversation, though I don't know if that's possible when we're talking GSU - ASU. I made a trip to the Bass Pro Shop today, so I think I'm prepared for whatever the weather may be; I hope that our boys are, too. See y'all Thursday, and more importantly, Saturday!

Hope you have a great time in the High Country and I hope we all get to see another classic App vs Eagles matchup!

james_lawfirm
October 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM

Have fun! Weather is rumored to be high of 41 with snow, although I don't see how a forecast of more than 5 days in the future is reliable. I suggest going to Mast Gen. Store & buying one of those black North Face fleece jackets. You can wear it to the game. It'll be great.

gseagle
October 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
this rivalry is a great example of why i love college football....throw out the records and rankings cause those just dont matter. my guess is the game will be won by 3 points or less. also, a good friend of mine (app st grad and season ticket holder) has invited my family to come tailgate with thier app st crew....looking forward to that and having a great time.

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Have fun! Weather is rumored to be high of 41 with snow, although I don't see how a forecast of more than 5 days in the future is reliable. I suggest going to Mast Gen. Store & buying one of those black North Face fleece jackets. You can wear it to the game. It'll be great.

We're not relying too much on the forecast yet, but figure we need to be prepared for it. I don't think it's possible to make a trip to either Boone or Cullowhee with my wife without making a trip to Mast General. Thanks to you and asu70 for the good wishes, though I understand that doesn't extend to include the results of the game.

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2011, 07:44 PM

1999 – W vs GSU 17-16
2001 – L vs GSU 27-18
2011 - ? vs GSU

Pretty awesome, as far as I know, GSU has only hosted two #1's at home and we won them both.
Furman 2005
App St. 2010

asumike83
October 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Whereas I would suggest that all ASU and GSU fans ignore chattown and truly drive him crazy. failing that, I'll go with your plan, however.

I'm on board with this idea. The big boys should have no problem tuning out the kid's table.

Although games don't always live up to the hype, this has the potential to be another classic. ASU winning this past weekend was great, because the game is so much more meaningful now. Both teams control their own destiny (although ASU would only be guaranteed a share of the SoCon if we win out) and the atmosphere should be really special.

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2011, 08:30 PM

Well that will be a much better game. GSU will win this one BIG. Not to mention those teams are on a higher level than these teams. ASU for certain is not on the same level.

asumike83
October 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I won't be the least bit surprised if App wins, but I won't be impressed by a bunch of bandwagon Hillbillies who just started coming to games 5 years ago.

You can attribute the ASU rise in attendance to bandwagon fans if you like but the truth is, our large increase in attendance was largely due to the fact that our administration took the money and exposure we gained by winning championships and invested it into our facilities. Novel idea, huh?

ASU averaged more fans per game than GSU in 2 of the 4 seasons preceding our first national championship as well, so it's not like KBS was empty on Saturdays prior to 2006. It is a much different scene today than it was 5 years ago but that is a result of on-field success and having an administration that values our football program. Had Paulson been upgraded/expanded years ago like it should have, y'all would be in the same situation.

MaxASU'81
October 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just in case the facts get in the way. (Attendance averages are reported as: no playoff games for GSU and with playoff games for ASU...(Playoffs are usually less attended as the students have to pay))....but it is how the two media guides differ.

Since 1982 the year GSU posted their first attendance numbers in their Media Guide ASU has drawn more fans than GSU in 15 seasons vs. 14 for GSU. For the record ASU outdrew GSU in 2 of their 6 championship games.

In the last 12 years it has been split evenly with GSU averaging more attn from 1999 to 2004 and ASU averaging more from 2005 through 2010

Since 1982 GSU has averaged 14,960 while ASU has averaged 16,376.

I'd say the attendance argue should DIE! The record since 1982 is: ASU 10 wins and GSU 10 wins Both are 7-3 at home.

This should be a barn burner!

Let's play football!

Baldy
October 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
ASU has NEVER taken 5K to Statesboro and GSU has NEVER come close to bringing 5K to Boone. 5K is what the entire lower section of the East Stands holds and the most I've ever seen out of an Eagle crowd is about two sections. Of course if ASU had taken 5K to Paulson it would have taken roughly 35% of their seats since Paulson actually sits 14,000 (your AD Baker let it slip out a few years ago) and not the 18,000 they have always claimed. Kinda like ASU claiming old Varsity Gym sat 8,000 when it actually was a little less than 6,500. ASU & GSU get in more butts than the posted seating numbers primarily because students pack in so tight.

Georgia Southern Football Has No Need to Play Georgia State by Jason Cassels • Feb 17, 2011 6:14 PM EST

"Georgia Southern never sells out Paulson Stadium because there are plenty of grass seats. However, stadium capacity is officially 14,000, and the Eagles averaged over 20,000 in the 2010 regular season."

Actually, its never been a secret that Paulson only has 14440 actual seats

Accelerati Incredibilus
October 23rd, 2011, 10:08 PM

Then why do so many GSU fans get their feathers ruffled up when that fact is brought up and why does the school continue to perpetuate the 18,000 seat myth?

CC Eagle
October 23rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
Then why do so many GSU fans get their feathers ruffled up when that fact is brought up and why does the school continue to perpetuate the 18,000 seat myth?

I think it has less to do with the number of seats Paulson does or doesn't have and more to do with the blatant overestimation of the crowds at App. Even the reported numbers probably don't get to most GSU fans, but having to hear about it does.

apaladin
October 23rd, 2011, 11:26 PM

Have always thought it was 18,000. 14,440 puts it 5th(ASU, Citadel, Chatty, Furman) in the SoCon as far as capacity but what really matters is attendance. BTW, according to weather.com Saturday will be partly cloudy and 48. Sounds like perfect FB weather.

asumike83
October 23rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
I think it has less to do with the number of seats Paulson does or doesn't have and more to do with the blatant overestimation of the crowds at App. Even the reported numbers probably don't get to most GSU fans, but having to hear about it does.

For curiosity's sake, how much do you mean by 'blatant overestimation'? This is the best overhead shot I could find and it was taken in 2009. Reported attendance was 27,914 and reserved seating was for 21,650. How off do you really think that is?

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics21/800/RH/RHPDYAHLOHAHIGG.20100203183022.jpg

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 12:19 AM
For curiosity's sake, how much do you mean by 'blatant overestimation'? This is the best overhead shot I could find and it was taken in 2009. Reported attendance was 27,914 and reserved seating was for 21,650. How off do you really think that is?

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics21/800/RH/RHPDYAHLOHAHIGG.20100203183022.jpg

No guestimation off of pictures necessary. Just look at the numbers.

During the regular season, schools can take one of a number of means to report their own attendance. In the postseason, attendance figures are closely monitored (and many times even personally counted off at the gate) by NCAA personnel. I realize that in playoff games, there tends to be a drop due to students being on vacation, holidays, etc. That being said, the disparity of App's attendance numbers is alarming - especially for a town with such a hard-on for its team that should more than make up for the departure of students, right?

2010 avg. - 25,750
Playoff avg. – 14,519
Reg season avg. – 29,493
% difference = (-49.2)

2009 avg. – 24,003
Playoff avg. – 12,216
Reg season avg. – 25,967
% difference – (-47.0)

2008 avg. – 25,561
Playoff avg. – 14,463
Reg season avg. – 29,260
% difference – (-49.4)

Just about every school sees attendance drop in the postseason, but no one even approaches losing 50% of its regular season crowd on such a consistent basis. To get to the bottom of this anomaly, I'll get academic and cite Occam's razor. For the not-so academic of us out here, that fancy term simply states that the easiest and most likely explanation for something is usually the correct one rather than an explanation that requires many whatifs or cooincidences to be proven true.

App's situation is that the numbers reported for the regular season are inflated pretty highly. App gets to make it's own numbers for most of its games and consistantly reports numbers around 50% higher that what an independent third party consistantly measures. The easiest explanation is that App is probably inflating its attendance, and - even assuming that everyone else does - is doing it at a rate much more egregious than others.

No homerism, no bias, no hatred of the school... Just math and a little bit of logic.

Baldy
October 24th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Never...ever seen a GSU fan get their feathers "ruffled" when it's brought up that we only have 14,440 seats. If there is ever anything negative said, it has to do with the stadium being too small and needing expansion.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Pretty awesome, as far as I know, GSU has only hosted two #1's at home and we won them both.
Furman 2005
App St. 2010

We were #1 in 2006 when we won in double-overtime in Statesboro.

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 05:34 AM
We were #1 in 2006 when we won in double-overtime in Statesboro.

nuh uh, we did not play football in 06, you may be thinking about the Golf team that dressed out for that season though :D

seantaylor
October 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM
We are going to run rough shod all over them, and then 2 hole their trim in the buses

Horseshoe App
October 24th, 2011, 05:59 AM
We are going to run rough shod all over them, and then 2 hole their trim in the buses

You are having a Chattown moment. The classless one speaks again.

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM
You are having a Chattown moment. The classless one speaks again.

Yeah, and there is nothing reasonable GSU fans can do about him much like reasonable UTC fans and chattown.

To put it another way, he is banned from gsufans.com if that tells you anything.

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 06:02 AM
APP fans, who is going to be the QB against GSU this weekend, i'm guessing pressley will be riding the pine?

james_lawfirm
October 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
APP fans, who is going to be the QB against GSU this weekend, i'm guessing pressley will be riding the pine?

Not 'zactly. Jackson will be the QB; Presley will be playing DB. I'm not kidding. Against Sammy, Presley had one forced fumble & six tackles. Long story. Good ending.

james_lawfirm
October 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM

App's situation is that the numbers reported for the regular season are inflated pretty highly. App gets to make it's own numbers for most of its games and consistantly reports numbers around 50% higher that what an independent third party consistantly measures. The easiest explanation is that App is probably inflating its attendance, and - even assuming that everyone else does - is doing it at a rate much more egregious than others.

No homerism, no bias, no hatred of the school... Just math and a little bit of logic.

So, if I understand your post, you are saying we should not believe our eyes (see photo), rather we should believe your little bit of logic (very little). You have magically concluded that App is inflating its attendance figures. And, you base this conclusion on a review of three years comparison of reg. season figures & playoff figures. How many times did you fail Statistics ... or, as it is known at GaSo "Gozintas"?

I want to make three points: 1) KBS > Paulson; 2) There's a bunch more people in that photo than could crowd into Paulson; & 3) numerous factors explain the lower attendance at playoff games: i) students have to pay $5; ii) students are often taking exams or in some cases out of the dorms entirely; iii) attendees get less than one week to plan to attend a playoff game; iv) the weather is usu. worse, keeping away some fans; & v) visiting teams usu. bring only players' parents.

Now, you can take your theory that App is inflating its attendance back to Statesboro. BTW, you'll see a full house Sat. My guesstimate is 31k will be there.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 24th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Now, you can take your theory that App is inflating its attendance back to Statesboro. BTW, you'll see a full house Sat. My guesstimate is 31k will be there.

The KBS seat 21K+, so there are 8,000 people on the endzone hill?

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM

You're showing everyone how long it's been since you've been to KBS. If the rain/snow holds off, I say we might break the attendance record. If it doesn't, we still come close to/slightly over 30,000. People come to watch us win and they won't be disappointed.

Mntneer
October 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Well that will be a much better game. GSU will win this one BIG. Not to mention those teams are on a higher level than these teams. ASU for certain is not on the same level.

So I guess that places UTC in a distant 3rd tier?

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Just about every school sees attendance drop in the postseason, but no one even approaches losing 50% of its regular season crowd on such a consistent basis. To get to the bottom of this anomaly, I'll get academic and cite Occam's razor. For the not-so academic of us out here, that fancy term simply states that the easiest and most likely explanation for something is usually the correct one rather than an explanation that requires many whatifs or cooincidences to be proven true.

Reports numbers 50% higher than measured by an independent third party? I assume you do not have these 'independent third party' numbers handy. Are you seriously implying that there are only 19K present when the reported is 28K? That is absurd. With reserved seating 21,650 and a butt in every seat plus completely full end zones, that is impossible. How about you use a little logic.

As sad as it is, the playoffs really do drop off that much, it is a struggle to even fill 2/3 of the reserved seats.I know you aren't big on basing conclusions on photo evidence but just in case, here is a picture of the home side at the Villanova game last season. Visitor's side was also about 2/3 full and there were zero people braving the snow in the end zones. Announced attendance 15,706:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VZZAxeqisYw/TqVnsIQtzKI/AAAAAAAAABY/zJq7qnv2N-8/s800/nova.jpg

And again, 27,914:

Apphole
October 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It's not just the hill that gets us to 30k with <22k seats. The student section (bench seating) is a sardine can. There's 1.5 students per one "seat." Not that they ever sit down.

SideLine Shooter
October 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I can only say that from all the times I have been to Paulson for ASU games I have never seen anything close to half the attendance ASU has on a normal basis. It is amazing with all the rich tradition they say they have to still be in a high school size stadium. Go figure.

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
So, if I understand your post, you are saying we should not believe our eyes (see photo), rather we should believe your little bit of logic (very little). You have magically concluded that App is inflating its attendance figures. And, you base this conclusion on a review of three years comparison of reg. season figures & playoff figures. How many times did you fail Statistics ... or, as it is known at GaSo "Gozintas"?

I want to make three points: 1) KBS > Paulson; 2) There's a bunch more people in that photo than could crowd into Paulson; & 3) numerous factors explain the lower attendance at playoff games: i) students have to pay $5; ii) students are often taking exams or in some cases out of the dorms entirely; iii) attendees get less than one week to plan to attend a playoff game; iv) the weather is usu. worse, keeping away some fans; & v) visiting teams usu. bring only players' parents.

n
How exactly is going by the facts and figures less reliable that counting all of the dots in your picture?

As for the points you made:

1. I never stated that Paulson is a bigger or better venue.

2. KBS is certainly bigger than Paulson and - pay attention because here's the only part where I guess at something without any good facts - probably gets around 25,000 for regular season games. Much more that Paulson can get except for a possible one-time, semi-final type situation.

3. i.) Our students have to pay too, and so do the students of every other school; ii.) Can't speak for other schools, but a huge chunck of GSU students live in and around Atlanta - a 3-hour drive from Statesboro. Plenty of them were able to make a quick turnaround and make a game two days after Thanksgiving while still on break; iii.) Similar to the student argument from your last point, an even bigger percentage of our alumni currently live in or around Atlanta. They had the same short notice and still made the trip; iv.) Ok. It's Boone. It snows and it's cold. I get that some people don't want to be out in that weather, but aren't you guys touting 30,000-plus in attendance this week while also jabbing at GSU fans that it will be in the 30's or 40's? Sure, it's a little colder in December, but 15,000 more empty seats worth of cold? I'd guess not; v.) Yeah. Same for everyone else. SCSU might have had 500 people in Paulson for the playoffs last year, and half of that was the band.

To compare last season, GSU had a regular season attendance average of 18,337 and our only home game in the playoffs brought 11,577. That big dropoff may very well be due to the exact same factors that you state. However, that is a dropoff of 7,260 people - 37% less than the regular season numbers. As I stated before, App is averaging a decline of almost 18,000 for playoff games as compared to the regular season - hovering around a 50% dropoff.

Seeing as how all of your factors should affect most schools about equally, I'm sticking with my statement that fuzzy math by the ticket takers in the regular season has more to do with App's disparity than Thanksgiving, winter break, or a little bit of snow and cold.

biggie
October 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm at The Rock every game. Its not fuzzy, I see that many people each week. If anything this year it is under reported slightly.

Of note as well the new 1,500 student seats in the endzone aren't included in the seating capacity (when looking for the ~8k over capacity).

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Reports numbers 50% higher than measured by an independent third party? I assume you do not have these 'independent third party' numbers handy.

In this case, the third party I'm referring to is the NCAA. Even if it's the same people counting tickets during playoff games - although it isn't for GSU playoff games - the NCAA is much more exact and thorough in getting an attendance number as that number is used in the distribution of money taken in at the game.

With that being said, here are your playoff attendance numbers.

15,706 - 2010 vs. Villanova
13,322 - 2010 vs. W. Illinois
12,216 - 2009 vs. S. Carolina St.
15,215 - 2008 vs. Richmond
13,712 - 2008 vs. S. Carolina St.
24,140- 2007 vs. Richmond
16,947 - 2007 vs. E. Washington
14,040 - 2007 vs. James Madison

None of these numbers are disputed and you can find them anywhere. NCAA, App St.'s website. Hell, I bet you could get them off of Yahoo Sports.

The only game in the bunch that even comes close to the numbers regularly reported is the 2007 semifinal against Richmond, which really throws a wrench in the defense that it's winter break and no one will show up.

Again, I'm not arguing with crazy conspiracy theories. This is all plain as day. App gets a ton of people coming to regular season games, but short of all of Boone being baricaded and inaccessible to others come Thanksgiving, the regression of attendance at App games as compared to similar stats for other teams suggests that - given the larger than normal dropoff for ASU - the regular season numbers are probably 10-15% over what is actually showing up.

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Things that GSU and ASU fans agree on...

Furman Sucks
Marshall Sucks
ECU Sucks

thats about it.

Saint3333
October 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Everyone under reports playoff attendance guys.

Go sit in the student section on Saturday and you'll see how 30K can get into KBS.

biggie
October 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Things that GSU and ASU fans agree on...

Furman Sucks
Marshall Sucks
ECU Sucks

thats about it.
We "almost" pity Western.

HighCountry
October 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Everyone under reports playoff attendance guys.

Go sit in the student section on Saturday and you'll see how 30K can get into KBS.

Definitely agree on that last point. I think these guys have more room than us students do on game day.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/112/PreviewComp/SuperStock_112X-8522.jpg

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.stadiumsusa.com/images/thumbs/411d94cedf43beedf767ba7ed94609d133c0991f.jpg-590x1000.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VZZAxeqisYw/TqVnsIQtzKI/AAAAAAAAABY/zJq7qnv2N-8/s800/nova.jpg

Which home side do yall think holds more people?

AshevilleApp2
October 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.stadiumsusa.com/images/thumbs/411d94cedf43beedf767ba7ed94609d133c0991f.jpg-590x1000.png

I couldn't say. Which home side draws more fans?

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Not the point but, apparently App claims that they have a higher seating capacity which I would have to disagree with looking at the picture.

Smitty
October 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Not the point but, apparently App claims that they have a higher seating compacity which I would have to disagree with looking at the picture.

*capacity*

What game is this picture from? Just by looking it isn't this year...

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
*capacity*

What game is this picture from? Just by looking it isn't this year...

Im not sure when the Chattanooga picture is from could be from a national title game, or the GSU game last year. But the App State photo is from their playoff game against nova last year.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
In this case, the third party I'm referring to is the NCAA. Even if it's the same people counting tickets during playoff games - although it isn't for GSU playoff games - the NCAA is much more exact and thorough in getting an attendance number as that number is used in the distribution of money taken in at the game.

None of these numbers are disputed and you can find them anywhere. NCAA, App St.'s website. Hell, I bet you could get them off of Yahoo Sports.

The only game in the bunch that even comes close to the numbers regularly reported is the 2007 semifinal against Richmond, which really throws a wrench in the defense that it's winter break and no one will show up.

Again, I'm not arguing with crazy conspiracy theories. This is all plain as day. App gets a ton of people coming to regular season games, but short of all of Boone being baricaded and inaccessible to others come Thanksgiving, the regression of attendance at App games as compared to similar stats for other teams suggests that - given the larger than normal dropoff for ASU - the regular season numbers are probably 10-15% over what is actually showing up.

The 2007 Richmond game was the only game that was a National Semifinal and the only one played at night. I am actually glad you posted this, because it disproves your theory. Based on the indisputable, NCAA-stamped attendance listed, there was a 43% difference in attendance from the last playoff game in Boone in '07 to the first game in '08. Why is a similar drop-off from regular season to early round playoffs inexplicable?

In an earlier post, you also touched on the fact that GSU has a vast majority of their alumni in Atlanta, which is an easy highway drive, as well as much more moderate winters. In spite of this, you still have a 37% drop in attendance. It is a problem for all schools and even more so for us, considering that our alumni have to drive up a mountain in worse weather. Clearly, you believe what you want to and that is fine. Agree to disagree.

The embarrassing playoff attendance has been a problem for years but it does nothing to the legitimacy of our regular season attendance. If you would like to draw that imaginary line, feel free. In any event, you should make the trip up for the game this weekend if you have not been to KBS any time recently. It will be quite a scene.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM

The club level of KBS is cut out of that picture, but I would say they are about the same. Difference in capacity is on the other side, which is where 4,500 seats were added in '09.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM

I think just about everyone's attendance drops off in the playoffs. Especially the early rounds.

Y'all had 10,214 for the South Carolina State game.

Posting low playoff attendance numbers isn't proof of anything except that our attendance sucks in the playoffs. And, I don't think you'll find an App fan that argues that. Our attendance does suck in the playoffs.

Waco Kid
October 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Just an FYI: KBS now seats 23,150 with the addition of the north end zone seats this year. Not sure why the facilities page hasn't been updated, but the game notes list the current number of seats.

GlassOnion
October 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Its funny seeing people from a georgia swamp discounting the effects of weather at 3,333 Ft, and 500 miles north.

Last year we had a game where we stood in 6" of snow, IN THE STANDS. Imagine how cold your feet get, basically sitting on a block of ice for 5 hours. Frozen rain can make the roads back down the mountain downright life threatening, especially when the NCAA gives you a 5pm kickoff in 20 degree weather. Its common to have 4-5 days with zero sunshine in the winter months, just grey cloudcover as far as the eye can see. No sunshine, means iced roads dont melt, even during the day. Sometimes when the snow comes on fast, you get trapped. Boone weather is no joke.

Waco Kid
October 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM

One thing I'd like to point out is the 2007 game vs Richmond was BEFORE the upper deack on the East Side (4,400), Club Seats/Suites (1,500), and North End Zone seats (1,500) were added. So take the offical NCAA numbers for that game 24,140 then add 7,400 and what do you get??? My calculator says 31,540. Stadium attendance record is 31,531. End of discussion.

John Deere
October 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Its funny seeing people from a georgia swamp discounting the effects of weather at 3,333 Ft, and 500 miles north.

Last year we had a game where we stood in 6" of snow, IN THE STANDS. Imagine how cold your feet get, basically sitting on a block of ice for 5 hours. Frozen rain can make the roads back down the mountain downright life threatening, especially when the NCAA gives you a 5pm kickoff in 20 degree weather. Its common to have 4-5 days with zero sunshine in the winter months, just grey cloudcover as far as the eye can see. No sunshine, means iced roads dont melt, even during the day. Sometimes when the snow comes on fast, you get trapped. Boone weather is no joke.

I love it though.

GlassOnion
October 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I love it though.

Hell yeah, no better place to be on a Football Saturday!

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Now, let's see if we can change the topic from attendance reporting to the game itself. ASU has looked much better on offense in recent weeks but I have serious concerns about our ability to stop the option. We seem to be getting thinner on defense every week and this game will be very difficult for our young guys on that side of the ball.

GSU appears to be the better team but crazy things tend to happen in Boone. If either team scores less than 30 I will be very surprised. This one will come down to the wire and I am hoping the good guys come out on top at home.

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah we know less people show up for playoff games. That has nothing to do with how many people fit into the stadium during a regular season game. Do you honestly think there aren't 6,000 extra people on the bank and crammed into the student section for that McNeese game?

Again, I'm not arguing about what anyone thinks. Just what the numbers show.

I'm far from the only one sporting this opinion. Having worked for an athletic department in the recent past, I can assure you that many other schools share the opinion that while numbers can be dropped or boosted to a school's liking, the extent to which App has done it in recent years is pretty extreme.

It's not even a knock, really. I don't care if App puts 50,000 in the stands. I just don't see why App is seemingly the only team that consistently loses half or more of its fans while everyone else does much better comparatively.

Either way, be it 25,000, 27,000, or 30,000-plus this weekend, none of them matter nearly as much as the 22 that are on the field at any given time. They'll have more to do with a win or loss than anyone in the seats will.

Waco Kid
October 24th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I changed that post so please go back and read.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
App is seemingly the only team that consistently loses half or more of its fans while everyone else does much better comparatively.

No we're not. xlolx

Again. EVERYONE'S (except maybe Montana's) attendance drops off significantly in the playoffs.

Even Georgia Southern's.

Y'all's regular season attendance last year was over 19k
Y'all barely got 10k for your game against SC State in the playoffs.

Your attendance almost dropped by half from the regular season to the playoffs.

Is this evidence y'all boost your regular season attendance?

No. xrolleyesx

Baldy
October 24th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I can only say that from all the times I have been to Paulson for ASU games I have never seen anything close to half the attendance ASU has on a normal basis.
We had over 20K there to watch your team get shut down last season.

Try again. xlolx

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
We had over 20K there to watch your team get shut down last season.

Try again. xlolx

You mean you REPORTED 20K! GSU over reports the official stadium capacity by almost 30% so I will dispute that figure. Are you REALLY saying you had 6K in the end zones?! As has been previously proven through the egregious lies by the ASU attendance figures, that is impossible.

*end sarcasm. I think attendance figures for both schools are legit.

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
No we're not. xlolx

Again. EVERYONE'S (except maybe Montana's) attendance drops off significantly in the playoffs.

Even Georgia Southern's.

Y'all's regular season attendance last year was over 19k
Y'all barely got 10k for your game against SC State in the playoffs.

Your attendance almost dropped by half from the regular season to the playoffs.

Is this evidence y'all boost your regular season attendance?

No. xrolleyesx

Actually, if you'll go back a couple of pages and look, you'll see that the average regular season attendance was a little over 18,000 and the playoff game drew about 11,500. If you look at the percentage drop - therefore making everything relative - App's drop is much more severe than GSU or anyone else that regularly hosts playoff games.

But enough about the attendance. I agree that this thread should get back to talking about the actual game.

I seem to have hit a nerve, and some of you obviously feel the need to defend it more than I feel the need to keep looking up facts. If you still want to yell at me, go start another thread and I'll follow you over there.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Actually, if you'll go back a couple of pages and look, you'll see that the average regular season attendance was a little over 18,000 and the playoff game drew about 11,500. If you look at the percentage drop - therefore making everything relative - App's drop is much more severe than GSU or anyone else that regularly hosts playoff games.

GSU regular season average: 19,109
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/d47a560045aad7aab88ffc9080650d5b/2010_Attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=d47a560045aad7aab88ffc9080650d5b
GSU playoff attendance: 10,214
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303310290

46.5% drop

ASU Regular season average: 29,448
ASU Playoff average: 14,514

50.7% drop, including a WIU game played in a snow storm. The difference is minimal, we ALL struggle to draw in the playoffs!

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I suppose if you want to discount over 1,000 fans by using the ESPN box score instead of the game notes, that's your perogative.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Actually, if you'll go back a couple of pages and look, you'll see that the average regular season attendance was a little over 18,000 and the playoff game drew about 11,500.

Actually, no. You are either getting bad numbers from somewhere or you're bad at math.

Your regular season attendance was 19,109
Your attendance for the SC State game was 10,214

If you look at the percentage drop - therefore making everything relative - App's drop is much more severe than GSU or anyone else that regularly hosts playoff games.

I agree that our attendance drop off is much more severe. Georgia Southern is still around 50% drop off, though.

Our attendance sucks in the playoffs. No doubt about it. No one is arguing that it doesn't. I'm just saying that our postseason attendance isn't evidence that our attendance in the regular season is boosted.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I suppose if you want to discount over 1,000 fans by using the ESPN box score instead of the game notes, that's your perogative.

From your website:

South Carolina State (9-3) vs. Georgia Southern (8-4)
Date: Nov 27, 2010 • Site: Statesboro, Ga. • Stadium: Paulson
Attendance: 10214
http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com//pdf8/725862.pdf

xrolleyesxxlolx

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com//pdf8/725862.pdf

That better?

Twentysix
October 24th, 2011, 12:11 PM
App, Ive never asked you for anything before...

Please beat georgia southern.

Thanks

Twentysix

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Actually, no. You are either getting bad numbers from somewhere or you're bad at math.

Your regular season attendance was 19,109
Your attendance for the SC State game was 10,214.

I'll meet you halfway. After looking at the NCAA link, I mistook the total avg. attendance for regular season.

Don't know where you're getting the playoff attendance from though. http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/fls/18700/Stats/Football/2010/geos.htm

Ok. Now I'm done with it. Back to on the field discussion... I think that the atmosphere of the game and the revenge factor from last year spots App a touchdown, but I don't think that's quite enough.

GSU wins 31-27, but has to stave off a last minute drive.

Eaglesrus
October 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
GSU appears to be the better team but crazy things tend to happen in Boone. If either team scores less than 30 I will be very surprised. This one will come down to the wire and I am hoping the good guys come out on top at home.

I can agree with this except where you contradict yourself there at the end. I'm expecting a score of something like 38 - 35, with us getting that field goal (if the weather allows Mora to get his footing). Would be a real shame if he was to miss for the first time this year because of slipping in the snow!

appmaj
October 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Ok. Now I'm done with it. Back to on the field discussion...

Thank You!

Attendance figures do not win games.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I can agree with this except where you contradict yourself there at the end. I'm expecting a score of something like 38 - 35, with us getting that field goal (if the weather allows Mora to get his footing). Would be a real shame if he was to miss for the first time this year because of slipping in the snow!

One thing I can say with confidence is that if ASU wins, it will almost certainly NOT be on a field goal. Our kicking game has been atrocious.

straightshooter
October 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
One thing I can say with confidence is that if ASU wins, it will almost certainly NOT be on a field goal. Our kicking game has been atrocious.

And GSU has blocked three kicks in the last two games...

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
And GSU has blocked three kicks in the last two games...

If we are inside the 35 and facing a 4th and short/medium, I'd expect ASU to go for it almost every time.

soweagle
October 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Your kicker is going through a slump. He has been good in the past and will come out of it eventually. I just hope he waits another week.

biggie
October 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
New kicker for all PATs this past week. Martin pulled a groin last week, removed from kickoffs/place kicking after missing the FG in 1st qtr, probably will just stick to punting.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
New kicker for all PATs this past week. Martin pulled a groin last week, removed from kickoffs/place kicking after missing the FG in 1st qtr, probably will just stick to punting.

I noticed that, first time I have seen #40 out there. Hopefully he can step in and do a good job, Martin is definitely an asset as a punter.

Apphole
October 24th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Sam Martin is an NFL caliber punter. He's a *****ty place kicker.

james_lawfirm
October 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Now, THAT'S the weather we need this Saturday! All the GaSo fans should go buy black fleece coats at Mast Gen. Store. That will keep them warm, AND they'll look good.

There's something special about sitting outside in inclement weather for 3 hours watching a football game (and don't forget the tailgating prior to the game). 20 degrees with 6 inches of snow on the ground sounds pretty good to me. Bring it on!

AppMan
October 24th, 2011, 09:00 PM

KBS doesn't have a "home" side. The entire stadium is a HOME side.

Block-A
October 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thank You!

Attendance figures do not win games.

No, it doesn't. But if the App crowd can get into the game, it DOES make a difference.

I honestly think that the Halloween night crowd from a couple years ago helped doom Wofford.

CC Eagle
October 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Until this week...

I'll say that 3k+ GSU faithful make their way up to Boone.

That might not be overwhelming, but they'll be loud as all hell. Of course, the crowd will be the least of App's worries this week. :D

AppMan
October 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Apps will miss the experience of Gainey, Tanyi and Brewer on defense, but have Kimbrough back in the middle after sitting out the Wofford game. Mountaineer offense is turning the corner. Coaches finally have figured out we don't have the big bodies up front to pounds guys and have started going around them. GSU can match ASU's team speed, which always makes this a great game, and getting to the corner will be tougher. Jackson is growing up, but he has never been hit or hurried like he will be on Saturday. WR corps is getting better each week as Peacock and Washington have become legit threats stopping teams from doubling Quick. Steven Miller is beginning to show why he was a Juco AA. The kid can fly and runs with a lot of power for a little guy. If the Apps can neutralize the FB they will be in a great position to win. Suddenly I like what I see from this team, offensively. Defensively we have got to get better tackling frm our LB's and DB's. Gonna be a good 'un on the Mountain come Saturday!

MaxASU'81
October 24th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Now that should end this senseless attendance talk! Go ASU!

GaSouthern
October 25th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Until this week...

I'll say that 3k+ GSU faithful make their way up to Boone.

That might not be overwhelming, but they'll be loud as all hell. Of course, the crowd will be the least of App's worries this week. :D

Because we are so limited on the "guest" seating I think we will be spread out so much that the noise from GSU fans will be kept down to a minimum.

AppStsGr8
October 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I noticed that, first time I have seen #40 out there. Hopefully he can step in and do a good job, Martin is definitely an asset as a punter.

What baffled me was why they didn't have #86 kicking Saturday. That kid's the real deal and, unlike #40, can do both punting and kicking.

Apphole
October 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Because we are so limited on the "guest" seating I think we will be spread out so much that the noise from GSU fans will be kept down to a minimum.

And hopefully because you don't have anything to cheer about

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Very true. If 3K Georgia Southern fans make the trip up that would be very impressive but there are nowhere near that many guest tickets, so y'all would be spread throughout the stands and in the lawn.

eaglewithabus
October 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
the last time I was up in Boone for a game it was not cheering fans that made most of the noise, it was the thunder sticks. Do the students still have those in the games?

GlassOnion
October 25th, 2011, 08:40 AM
the last time I was up in Boone for a game it was not cheering fans that made most of the noise, it was the thunder sticks. Do the students still have those in the games?

Most likely. Terrible towels last week, and Black Saturday is usually thunderstick day.

asknoquarter21
October 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Those things always pop after the 1st quarter

Apphole
October 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I've always hated thunder sticks. I'm pretty sure the stadium is way louder without them. They just distract people from really cheering. If we want to make it rumble to add to the already deafening crowd noise, we should just start banging on the bleachers like we used to.

biggie
October 25th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Appears, by tickets sold the attendance record could go down, but doubt with cold weather that everyone will show up. I usually watch the number of tickets remaining and so far it looks like we've sold 2-3k more for GSU than for Homecoming last week.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205321825

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM
There's a simpler explanation for why App. beats GSU in attendance besides Charlie Cobb or Sam Baker cooking the books...

North Carolina has third-rate FBS teams.

Georgia has an FBS team that is consistently near the very top in football revenues, near the very top in merchandise sales, and fills up their stadium no matter how bad they are.

Just saying.

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 12:01 PM
There's a simpler explanation for why App. beats GSU in attendance besides Charlie Cobb or Sam Baker cooking the books...

Georgia has an FBS team that is consistently near the very top in football revenues, near the very top in merchandise sales, and fills up their stadium no matter how bad they are.

Just saying.

True, but the only in-state competition for GSU is UGA and to a lesser degree, GT. UGA is a much bigger draw and generates more revenue than any single NC school but not more than UNC, NC State and ECU combined. All 3 of those schools put 50K-60K in the stands every Saturday and have healthy followings across the state. Throw in the small pieces taken up by Duke/Wake Forest and ASU has as much if not more FBS fans to compete with than GSU.

eaglemachine
October 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
True, but all Georgia has is UGA. GT is an afterthought, even in Atlanta. UGA is a much bigger draw and generates more revenue than any single NC school but not more than UNC, NC State and ECU combined. All 3 of those schools put 50K-60K in the stands every Saturday.

now now, your forgetting about the biggest and best team of them all..Georgia State. I mean look at their attendence num....nevermind.

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
now now, your forgetting about the biggest and best team of them all..Georgia State. I mean look at their attendence num....nevermind.

*Insert UNC Charlotte remark here.

ASUMountaineer
October 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM

I don't think Jayson Foster has any eligibility left...AT LEAST I HOPE NOT!

ASUMountaineer
October 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM

But enough about the attendance. I agree that this thread should get back to talking about the actual game.

I seem to have hit a nerve, and some of you obviously feel the need to defend it more than I feel the need to keep looking up facts. If you still want to yell at me, go start another thread and I'll follow you over there.

Actually, I could give a **** about arguing attendance...honestly, who gives a crap? I thought there was a football game worth talking about being played this week...

I have no doubt this will be a hard-hitting, nasty game...much like the 2007 game. Here's to hoping for a better outcome. Go APPS!

CC Eagle
October 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Actually, I could give a **** about arguing attendance...honestly, who gives a crap? I thought there was a football worth talking about being played this week...

Which is exactly why we've been on discussion of the game for the last three pages and 20+ hours.

Are you on dial-up or something?

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Just saying.

Not bad for a Penal Colony!

ASUMountaineer
October 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Go in with a positive, respectful attitude and you should have no trouble. We'll be cooking up some fried eagle in the deck, you're more than welcome to stop by. Just send me a PM...

Skjellyfetti
October 25th, 2011, 02:38 PM

Just trying to come up with more excuses.

FIFY

pike51
October 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Go in with a positive, respectful attitude and you should have no trouble. We'll be cooking up some fried eagle in the deck, you're more than welcome to stop by. Just send me a PM...

I'm going to run up in the deck and yell, "Hey, I'm Pike!! Now where's the free fried bird I was promised by you ASU MF'eers !!??!!??" I have a feeling that will go over very well. :)

Apphole
October 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
What is the deck?

james_lawfirm
October 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Just saying.

UNC has a football team? Who knew?

SpeedkingATL
October 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
One of my co-workers came in my office here in Atlanta this morning and said he was listening to one of the ATL sports stations on the way to work and they were talking about the App/GSU game. Good to know that someone is paying attention outside of our fan bases and a few FCS die hards.

AppAlum96
October 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM

1999 – W vs GSU 17-16
2001 – L vs GSU 27-18
2011 - ? vs GSU

I was there in 94 and 99, Missed 96 and 01. I live in California now, and will miss 11. I hope I wasn't the mojo that put them over the top in 94 and 99.

ASUG8
October 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
What is the deck?

ASU Mountaineer has his very own parking deck. He gives around $1Billion a year.

AppAlum96
October 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM

During the regular season, schools can take one of a number of means to report their own attendance. In the postseason, attendance figures are closely monitored (and many times even personally counted off at the gate) by NCAA personnel. I realize that in playoff games, there tends to be a drop due to students being on vacation, holidays, etc. That being said, the disparity of App's attendance numbers is alarming - especially for a town with such a hard-on for its team that should more than make up for the departure of students, right?

2010 avg. - 25,750
Playoff avg. – 14,519
Reg season avg. – 29,493
% difference = (-49.2)

2009 avg. – 24,003
Playoff avg. – 12,216
Reg season avg. – 25,967
% difference – (-47.0)

2008 avg. – 25,561
Playoff avg. – 14,463
Reg season avg. – 29,260
% difference – (-49.4)

Last time I checked (And I may genuinely be wrong, it's been a LONG time since I checked) The non-university population of Boone was around 10k. The entire population of Boone would not be enough to make up for the loss in student attendance. What other school averages 2.5x their home town's population at every game? (1.5x in the playoffs?).

Again, I may be off, here.

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm going to run up in the deck and yell, "Hey, I'm Pike!! Now where's the free fried bird I was promised by you ASU MF'eers !!??!!??" I have a feeling that will go over very well. :)

You don't have to run up the deck, you can take the elevator. It has 2 of those.

T-Dog
October 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
You don't have to run up the deck, you can take the elevator. It has 2 of those.

Well I was about to say "which deck?" since there's two but River Street has two elevators while College Street only has one so that narrows it down.

Rekdiver
October 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
If that GSU fan gets in my face again like the last time he did here waving that stupid flag and spraying spittle everywhere I may not be so charitable...of course that was before the game. Last time i was in Statesboro I felt like I was being assaulted by Dale Earnhart fans. Left feeling like I needed a shower. Other than that enjoy the trip to Boone, pack your Sunday best longJohns. We'll be nice if you are nice. if you are not nice we will whip your ***.

GSU EAGLES
October 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM
If that GSU fan gets in my face again like the last time he did here waving that stupid flag and spraying spittle everywhere I may not be so charitable...of course that was before the game. Last time i was in Statesboro I felt like I was being assaulted by Dale Earnhart fans. Left feeling like I needed a shower. Other than that enjoy the trip to Boone, pack your Sunday best longJohns. We'll be nice if you are nice. if you are not nice we will whip your ***.

He's from North Carolina as are his most loyal fans. I am sure you will be surrounded by plenty of those in Boone. I just am thankful everyday Charlotte won the NASCAR hall of fame bid and you guys didn't turn our beautiful centenial park, world of Coke and the Ga aquarium into a North Carolina redneck fest. Of course I hear attendance is horrific and it will probably go belly up.

blueballs
October 26th, 2011, 07:32 AM

That's pretty interesting... ask T-Dog, Great App State, Asu Kep, Kiss My Apps, etc. if they enjoyed hanging out with us at the RFG the past few trips.

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 08:19 AM
He's from North Carolina as are his most loyal fans. I am sure you will be surrounded by plenty of those in Boone. I just am thankful everyday Charlotte won the NASCAR hall of fame bid and you guys didn't turn our beautiful centenial park, world of Coke and the Ga aquarium into a North Carolina redneck fest. Of course I hear attendance is horrific and it will probably go belly up.

If ever there was an exercise in futility, it is folks in North Carolina and Georgia arguing about which one has more rednecks.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Are you suggesting that Atlanta isn't anything but the crime-ridden **** hole that it is? You have to dodge drive-by shootings to get to a Braves game.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Jerry Moore>Erk Russel

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Separated at birth or what?

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 09:01 AM
We are going to learn a lot about both teams on Saturday. For ASU, it will be interesting to see how Jamal Jackson reacts in his first truly big game as the starting QB. It will also be a chance for ASU to prove they have become a better football team since the loss to Wofford.

For GSU, as impressive as their season has been (you cannot argue with 7-0), they have not yet faced a test on the road. They did open the season at Samford, who is a pretty solid team but not exactly a tough environment. The best teams they have played, UTC and Furman, were both at Paulson.

Aside from playing their first road game against a team that can match them from an athletic standpoint, how will they react to being favored against Appalachian? There are a lot of kids on GSU's team that have played in this rivalry including their win at home last year. However, there is nobody in that locker room that has played ASU when they were expected to win. Playing against expectations, on the road in front of about 30,000 fans is a tall task. If the Eagles get out of Boone with a win, I will be able to do nothing but tip my cap to them.

Good luck, I will see y'all on the mountain!

GSU EAGLES
October 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Jerry Moore>Erk Russel

We didn't almost fire Erk Russell.

GSU EAGLES
October 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Are you suggesting that Atlanta isn't anything but the crime-ridden **** hole that it is? You have to dodge drive-by shootings to get to a Braves game.

Braves game: no. Ga State campus: yes

GSU EAGLES
October 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
We are going to learn a lot about both teams on Saturday. For ASU, it will be interesting to see how Jamal Jackson reacts in his first truly big game as the starting QB. It will also be a chance for ASU to prove they have become a better football team since the loss to Wofford.

For GSU, as impressive as their season has been (you cannot argue with 7-0), they have not yet faced a test on the road. They did open the season at Samford, who is a pretty solid team but not exactly a tough environment. The best teams they have played, UTC and Furman, were both at Paulson.
Aside from playing their first road game against a team that can match them from an athletic standpoint, how will they react to being favored against Appalachian? There are a lot of kids on GSU's team that have played in this rivalry including their win at home last year. However, there is nobody in that locker room that has played ASU when they were expected to win. Playing against expectations, on the road in front of about 30,000 fans is a tall task. If the Eagles get out of Boone with a win, I will be able to do nothing but tip my cap to them.

Good luck, I will see y'all on the mountain!

Fortunately we have an established senior QB that has started in the ACC in front of bigger crowds.

eaglemachine
October 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Jerry Moore>Erk Russel

Sorry but not true. Jerry Moore did not win 2 championships with a bunch of walk ons like Erk did and Jerry is nowhere near the motivator that Erk was. Both coaches have 3 championships with comparable win percentages but Erk was the better coach and did it with much less, much quicker.

Jerry Moore
Seasons:21
Record: 189–76
Percentage: .713

Erk Russell
Seasons:8
Record: 83-22-1
Percentage: .790

GlassOnion
October 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Fortunately we have an established senior QB that has started in the ACC in front of bigger crowds.

Good thing your OL didnt.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 10:11 AM

KBS is more intimidating than a good bit of ACC stadiums. VT and FSU are loud but UNC, Duke, Wake, UVa, NC State ect are anti-rowdy.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry but not true. Jerry Moore did not win 2 championships with a bunch of walk ons like Erk did and Jerry is nowhere near the motivator that Erk was. Both coaches have 3 championships with comparable win percentages but Erk was the better coach and did it with much less, much quicker.

Jerry Moore
Seasons:21
Record: 189–76
Percentage: .713

Erk Russell
Seasons:8
Record: 83-22-1
Percentage: .790

Id like to see the stats where you prove that he's a better motivator. I suppose you were in the circle last time Moore game a speech? Why did Erk have to play with a bunch of walk-ons? Was he a ****ty recruiter?.............They look very comparable to me.

Waco Kid
October 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM

What about the other 21 guys on the field?

Skjellyfetti
October 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM

He started 1 game with Georgia Tech.

Against Duke.

At home.

xlolx

VidEagle
October 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have yet to see anyone in the stands make a tackle or complete a pass. Coaches will tell you the impact of fans is highly overrated. In public they will talk it up, coach speak. Only place it has any real impact is playing in a dome. The actual time spent travelling and all that goes with it has a much bigger impact.

introvertedGSUfan
October 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
LOL at thinking Moore is a better motivator than Erk.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
LOL at thinking Moore is a better motivator than Erk.

Frankly I'm surprised by all the Jerry Moore experts that are Stink fans. Tell me, in your in depth study of both coaches, who had the bigger dick?

GSU EAGLES
October 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have yet to see anyone in the stands make a tackle or complete a pass. Coaches will tell you the impact of fans is highly overrated. In public they will talk it up, coach speak. Only place it has any real impact is playing in a dome. The actual time spent travelling and all that goes with it has a much bigger impact.

Vegas gives you 3 points for being at home. I figure we would win by two touchdowns over App on a neutral field so we should win this one by 11.

blueballs
October 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Jerry Moore>Erk Russel

Not on his best day...

Moore is a great coach and sure fire HOF but what Erk Russell accomplished at GSC in the 1980's is nothing short of a miracle.

GaSouthern
October 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Vegas gives you 3 points for being at home. I figure we would win by two touchdowns over App on a neutral field so we should win this one by 11.

I said we'd win by 10 with a late GSU score securing the victory

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Not on his best day...

Moore is a great coach and sure fire HOF but what Erk Russell accomplished at GSC in the 1980's is nothing short of a miracle.

Shhh I was just trolling

Gringer1
October 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM
If Erk was only 1 thing, it was a great motivator. He is renowned for getting the most out of his players more so than crafting a master gameplan. It is interesting that you attempt to call Erk a lesser coach and motivator because he had so many walk ons. Winning championships with walk ons shows great coaching. No matter what, I don't see the point in getting into a pissing match over 2 coaches, neither or whom will be wearing pads this weekend.

eaglemachine
October 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Id like to see the stats where you prove that he's a better motivator. I suppose you were in the circle last time Moore game a speech? Why did Erk have to play with a bunch of walk-ons? Was he a ****ty recruiter?.............They look very comparable to me.

Erk won with a bunch of walkons because we just started a football team, we had no money for scholarships and still won two championships. He was a great recruiter. He got Tracy Ham to play for him didn't he?

Erk was a better motivator no doubt about it. See his tenure at UGA and GSU. Numerous players of his have stated that they would run through a brick wall for the guy.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Erk won with a bunch of walkons because we just started a football team, we had no money for scholarships and still won two championships. He was a great recruiter. He got Tracy Ham to play for him didn't he?

Erk was a better motivator no doubt about it. See his tenure at UGA and GSU. Numerous players of his have stated that they would run through a brick wall for the guy.

I could find a lot of testimony about how Moore has changed kids lives, was a father figure, ect. Numbers don't lie and they seem pretty comparable. I'm not hating on Erk, I just think you should respect the winning-est coach in conference history

eaglemachine
October 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I could find a lot of testimony about how Moore has changed kids lives, was a father figure, ect. Numbers don't lie and they seem pretty comparable. I'm not hating on Erk, I just think you should respect the winning-est coach in conference history

I do respect Moore, he is a great coach and his numbers prove it, but he is no Erk.

Like I said before Erk won the same number of championships as Moore with alot less talent, money and facilities and did it within 8 years of starting the team from scratch. I do not believe you will ever see that happen again.

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Just curious, why do you think GSU is a 2 TD favorite on a neutral field? We are the best team that y'all have faced to this point and we only have 2 common opponents, UTC and Samford. We each squeaked out home wins against UTC and had 2+ TD wins over Samford. I think these teams are much more evenly matched than you seem to.

Baldy
October 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Good thing your OL didnt.
But 3 of the starters are Seniors and one of those is an All-American. You need to worry about how your OL matches up with our DL. xnodx

GSU EAGLES
October 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Just curious, why do you think GSU is a 2 TD favorite on a neutral field? We are the best team that y'all have faced to this point and we only have 2 common opponents, UTC and Samford. We each squeaked out home wins against UTC and had 2+ TD wins over Samford. I think these teams are much more evenly matched than you seem to.

I am just talking smack, but we have a solid consistent team led by a senior QB. I am very interested to see how your QB does if he gets under pressure. Will he get rattled? Will he step his game up like Armanti? He is unproven so nobody knows. Usually though, an inexperienced QB runs into some hiccups when things don't go perfectly. I think we will win by a TD. We seem to have a special group of players all on the same page.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM

I am just talking smack, but we have a solid consistent team led by a senior QB. I am very interested to see how your QB does if he gets under pressure. Will he get rattled? Will he step his game up like Armanti? He is unproven so nobody knows. Usually though, an inexperienced QB runs into some hiccups when things don't go perfectly. I think we will win by a TD. We seem to have a special group of players all on the same page.
I think most sports books that do FCS games just use Sagarin's PREDICTOR column (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm). GSU is 69.99 and ASU is 62.86. Add 3 points for the homefield and I would guess the spread would be GSU(-4). Pretty accurate I'd say. I'd take ASU and the points.

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM

That is definitely possible, I have been impressed by what I've seen out of y'all. It will be your toughest test of the season though and for us, how JJ reacts will be huge. One thing is for sure, we will have to score 30+ to win this game. I'd be surprised if it was more than one TD either way.