PDA

View Full Version : Furman upsets #5 Wofford

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Great win for FU 26-21, bring on Chatty!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP_S36QvAzo

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Give us another half and we'll talk about it :)

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Will do, next week will be a big game between two solid teams.

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Chris Forcier and Jerry Williams had great efficient games for the Paladins today!!!!

Sets up a game with the Mocs that will have the winner still in prime position to make the playoffs.

CSN-info
October 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
GPI 22. Furman won 26-21 vs. #2 Wofford

The polls are popularity contests.

I-16Bandit
October 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Nice win, Furman.

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Ok, Mocs are up 42-18 with 3 mins left...I think we got it covered.

So...
Bring it Furman!

Mocs 3rd round (of 10) of the playoffs :), 2pm, Saturday at Finley Stadium

Ought to be a great game.

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Agree, it should be a really good game, hope you guys will have a big time crowd and atmosphere for it, also two great QB's going at it, with Forcier and Robinson ;)

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Nice win, Furman.

Thanks mate, feels good to finally win a big game again!

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yall boys aint ready.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Cue TheFan in 5... xlolx

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Yall boys aint ready.

Out of curiosity, when is the last time UTC beat FU in Chattanooga?

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
some time in the early to mid 90s Id guess.

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Do you think you guys will have a big crowd for the game, I hope so, should be fun!

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBvsuVuxhNY

longtimemocfan
October 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Out of curiosity, when is the last time UTC beat FU in Chattanooga?

I believe it was '93

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Do you think you guys will have a big crowd for the game, I hope so, should be fun!

I would say at least 12K

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM

probably 12-15 k

veinup
October 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
nice win. dig the video.

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
The SoCon just got a little more interesting. Thanks Furple; I salute you!!

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Next week is gonna have some huge games in the league!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Good job Furman, big win. Good job to Chatty as well, looks like they may be hitting a decent stride right now with that score today.

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Furman Powers Past Fourth-Ranked Wofford, 26-21

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Jerodis Williams rushed for 155 yards and two touchdowns to power Furman to a 26-21 Southern Conference victory over Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) fourth-ranked Wofford in Paladin Stadium Saturday afternoon in the 85th clash between the state's oldest football rivals. The win marked the second straight triumph for Furman (4-3, 3-2) over Wofford (5-2, 3-1 SoCon) in Greenville and ninth victory in the last 11 clashes with the Terriers in Paladin Stadium.

Continue reading:
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/releases/201110221or4ti

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Chatty is a different team without Coleman; a much for dangerous and unpredictible team. The UTC/Furman and ASU/GSU games will do a lot to determine playoff lives/positioning not to mention the SoCon.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
FurmanWins!! If that article is not your own property please just post the first couple paragraphs and then provide the link to the rest of the article.

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Chatty is a different team without Coleman; a much for dangerous and unpredictible team. The UTC/Furman and ASU/GSU games will do a lot to determine playoff lives/positioning not to mention the SoCon.

Fully agree.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Chattanooga will be better when they have coleman and Robinson. Which will probably be this week.

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Chattanooga will be better when they have coleman and Robinson. Which will probably be this week.

Robinson looked awfully good today. Kid has a bright future if he stays healthy.

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptgXNaLg-0

FurmanWins!!
October 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Gotta do it guys ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1wnMVrMc18

ngineer
October 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Great job Furman! I think Wofford got caught in the classic 'trap' game....looking ahead to Lehigh!xsmiley_wix:D

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
GREAT WIN FURMAN!!!!

FurmanWins!!
October 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
2011 NCAA FCS Passing Efficiency Leaders:
http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/passing

straightshooter
October 23rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Interesting that GSU QB Jaybo Shaw's passing efficiency rating is 181.9 and he's not listed. Must be a minimum number of passes to qualify for the list, and Shaw has thrown less than 100 passes in seven games.

polsongrizz
October 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
GPI 22. Furman won 26-21 vs. #2 Wofford

The polls are popularity contests.
Cry me a river coffin boy...

gasoutherneagle
October 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Thinning out the top of the SoCon... heh heh... AND THEN THERE WAS ONE! Thanks FURPLE. Good rebound game, FurmanWins!!!

Cleets
October 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
After watching 12 minutes of Game Highlights
Shouldn't anybody playing defenses against Wofford have 11 guys no deeper than 7 yards off the line of scrimmage..?
Even the passes were 4 yard completions before the RAC

Maybe you want a few guys back (I guess) so you can see the play develop..?
But essentially the Ham Bone or Wing Tip or whatever Wofford calls it looks like a RUN RUN RUN - short dump pass - RUN RUN RUN offense

I'm not suggesting it's not a powerful offense - what I'm suggesting is - why would you have line backers and safeties 10 and 15 yards off the ball..?
No way..!!!!

Side Note:
I'm not sure a Three Four defense is a good choice to use against Wofford either - because - the Ends getting sucked in or tricked is a huge part of the Ham Bone offense

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Serious question and I know how I feel about it.

Does playing a team like virgina-wise look even worse when you lose an FCS games?

I think yes. What do you think?

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Serious question and I know how I feel about it.

Does playing a team like virgina-wise look even worse when you lose an FCS games?

I think yes. What do you think?

yes. I'd rather play a Big South/patriot/pioneer team and get an "on paper" easy win against a D1 team for the playoffs. The sad thing is that very few teams want to play us because we've gotten so good lately.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
After watching 12 minutes of Game Highlights
Shouldn't anybody playing defenses against Wofford have 11 guys no deeper than 7 yards off the line of scrimmage..?
Even the passes were 4 yard completions before the RAC

Maybe you want a few guys back (I guess) so you can see the play develop..?
But essentially the Ham Bone or Wing Tip or whatever Wofford calls it looks like a RUN RUN RUN - short dump pass - RUN RUN RUN offense

I'm not suggesting it's not a powerful offense - what I'm suggesting is - why would you have line backers and safeties 10 and 15 yards off the ball..?
No way..!!!!

Side Note:
I'm not sure a Three Four defense is a good choice to use against Wofford either - because - the Ends getting sucked in or tricked is a huge part of the Ham Bone offense

I'm refusing to watch the highlight tape....but from memory I remember a lot of plays where they just knew what we were going to do. They would line their linebackers up 5 yards off the LOS and beg us to run at them but they knew we were going to the pitch....and we did.....and we're not as great at the pitch as GSU. last week we had 5 HBs.....at one point yesterday we only had 2 not counting Donovan Johnson (more of a hybrid type). Our perimeter blocking needs work

FurmanWins!!
October 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Interesting that GSU QB Jaybo Shaw's passing efficiency rating is 181.9 and he's not listed. Must be a minimum number of passes to qualify for the list, and Shaw has thrown less than 100 passes in seven games.

Jaybo Shaw-GSU 35 - 63 - 0int 55.6pct. 751yards 5tds

Yeah probably not enough attempts
http://www.primecomputing.com/

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
ha!

unranked Furman - 26
Wofford - 21
cool story bro, tell it again

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I'm refusing to watch the highlight tape....but from memory I remember a lot of plays where they just knew what we were going to do. They would line their linebackers up 5 yards off the LOS and beg us to run at them but they knew we were going to the pitch....and we did.....and we're not as great at the pitch as GSU. last week we had 5 HBs.....at one point yesterday we only had 2 not counting Donovan Johnson (more of a hybrid type). Our perimeter blocking needs work

Furman ran virtually the same defensive set they did against Georgia Southern. The only difference from what I could see is our strong-side DE was on his feet instead of in his three point. The real difference here is the Furman defensive backs got off their blocks and swarmed the Terrier backfield. GSU killed us with the pitch when our backs couldn't get off blocks.

I thought Wofford played a good game. They lack any semblance of a vertical passing attack, so playing from behind takes them clear out of their comfort zone. Furman forced them to earn every inch, as I can only remember the screen pass to Britenstein getting them any large chunk of yardage. At the end of the day, Furman just out muscled Wofford on both sides of the ball.

Furman's still a work in progress, but this team is going to be really good soon.

X-Factor
October 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
cool story bro, tell it again

xpopcornx

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
sure, no problem

Wofford lost to an unranked Furman team 26-21 and will cause Wofford to drop out of the top ten this week....

By the way, how is that incredible Wofford rush defense that you were bragging about recently?

Rushing yards against Wofford
Furman - 208 yards

cool

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Furman ran virtually the same defensive set they did against Georgia Southern. The only difference from what I could see is our strong-side DE was on his feet instead of in his three point. The real difference here is the Furman defensive backs got off their blocks and swarmed the Terrier backfield. GSU killed us with the pitch when our backs couldn't get off blocks.

I thought Wofford played a good game. They lack any semblance of a vertical passing attack, so playing from behind takes them clear out of their comfort zone. Furman forced them to earn every inch, as I can only remember the screen pass to Britenstein getting them any large chunk of yardage. At the end of the day, Furman just out muscled Wofford on both sides of the ball.

Furman's still a work in progress, but this team is going to be really good soon.

We had more success with Breitenstein than GSU had with Brown though, he 5.4 yards per carry and we were really predictable with our play-calling. It looked to me as if Furman tried to stop the pitch man more than the inside game. there were times when the inside got stopped but nothing like last week against GSU. I remember on the opening possession most of our plays came up the middle. After that it was predictable. 1st down-dive, 2nd down-pitch, 3rd down-pending on distance. It was frustrating to watch.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
sure, no problem

Wofford lost to an unranked Furman team 26-21 and will cause Wofford to drop out of the top ten this week....

By the way, how is that incredible Wofford rush defense that you were bragging about recently?

Rushing yards against Wofford
Furman - 208 yards

are you done? seriously. we'll be fine. Wofford will still make the playoffs. I guarantee it

GATA
October 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
We had more success with Breitenstein than GSU had with Brown though, he 5.4 yards per carry and we were really predictable with our play-calling. It looked to me as if Furman tried to stop the pitch man more than the inside game. there were times when the inside got stopped but nothing like last week against GSU. I remember on the opening possession most of our plays came up the middle. After that it was predictable. 1st down-dive, 2nd down-pitch, 3rd down-pending on distance. It was frustrating to watch.

I think Robert Brown got like 4 carries against Furman. We sat him down with an Achilles injury and he spelled Dominque Swope who started the game. Swope got the bulk of the carries.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
I think Robert Brown got like 4 carries against Furman. We sat him down with an Achilles injury and he spelled Dominque Swope who started the game. Swope got the bulk of the carries.

well from what I heard the inside game was shut down, but that explains the lack of yardage for Brown

I-16Bandit
October 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
and would that be like your "guarantee" of the Wofford win against Furman?

oops!

Dude, what is your problem?

Engineer86
October 23rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Dude, what is your problem?

+1 come on Fan you give LU a bad name

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM

Neither GSU nor Wofford was really able to run the ball in the middle of the field against Furman. Breitenstein is a horse, and got yards, but Furman really limited his ability to break open big runs. He fought for every yard and often had about four guys hitting him every time he touched it.

Wofford ran the same game plan against Furman's defense. Credit to Bruce Fowler. He figured out what didn't work in Statesboro and fixed it.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
and would that be like your "guarantee" of the Wofford win against Furman?

oops!

tell me where I guaranteed a victory over Furman. hint: a prediction is different from a guarantee

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Neither GSU nor Wofford was really able to run the ball in the middle of the field against Furman. Breitenstein is a horse, and got yards, but Furman really limited his ability to break open big runs. He fought for every yard and often had about four guys hitting him every time he touched it.

Wofford ran the same game plan against Furman's defense. Credit to Bruce Fowler. He figured out what didn't work in Statesboro and fixed it.

We ran it up between the tackles pretty well for the first possession...looking back at the drives, a couple things stand out
1) Furman's offense kicked our butt up and down the field
2) Furman played a near perfect game minus a bad snap and bad kicking
3) There was only one drive outside of the final possession for Wofford that Furman was able to get a 3 and out for without the assistance of wofford penalties. We drove inside Furman's 40 on three straight possessions but couldn't get any points.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
We ran it up between the tackles pretty well for the first possession...looking back at the drives, a couple things stand out
1) Furman's offense kicked our butt up and down the field
2) Furman played a near perfect game minus a bad snap and bad kicking
3) There was only one drive outside of the final possession for Wofford that Furman was able to get a 3 and out for without the assistance of wofford penalties. We drove inside Furman's 40 on three straight possessions but couldn't get any points.

Wofford did what they needed to on the first possession. The remainder of the game, they were pretty much stymied. Remember, some of their biggest yardage came via Furman personal fouls (roughing the passer on their biggest gain of the day and a horse collar after blowing up a reverse for a massive loss). Both of those penalties kept Wofford drives alive and set up scores. Getting inside the 40 is nice, but that's pretty much where every Terrier drive stalled.

At the end of the day, the game was won by the Furman offensive line. Furman did essentially whatever it wanted on offense, and they did so without calling passing plays. Furman could not have been any more vanilla on offense. The Terriers just couldn't do anything to stop it.

In any event, that was far from a perfect game. Anytime you miss two extra points and give your opponent life, you are far from playing perfect football.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Wofford did what they needed to on the first possession. The remainder of the game, they were pretty much stymied. Remember, some of their biggest yardage came via Furman personal fouls (roughing the passer on their biggest gain of the day and a horse collar after blowing up a reverse for a massive loss). Both of those penalties kept Wofford drives alive and set up scores. Getting inside the 40 is nice, but that's pretty much where every Terrier drive stalled.

At the end of the day, the game was won by the Furman offensive line. Furman did essentially whatever it wanted on offense, and they did so without calling passing plays. Furman could not have been any more vanilla on offense. The Terriers just couldn't do anything to stop it.

In any event, that was far from a perfect game. Anytime you miss two extra points and give your opponent life, you are far from playing perfect football.

and I can agree with the last 2 paragraphs, but I don't think one can say that Wofford played their best game, I think predictable play-calling, turnovers, and penalties did us in offensively.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
and I can agree with the last 2 paragraphs, but I don't think one can say that Wofford played their best game, I think predictable play-calling, turnovers, and penalties did us in offensively.

Yes, but Wofford is predictive playcalling. The run a balanced option attack with no vertical passing game. Like GSU, everyone in the building knows what is coming. They tried some trick plays in there, wen't for it on fourth down, and nothing seemed to work. Frankly, I think they were too concerned with what GSU did against with Furman (success on the outside), that they got away from dancing with who brung them (Breitenstin).

The problem for Wofford, is they really haven't played from behind all season, and they had to on Saturday. Furman "out wofforded" Wofford. Ran the ball, controlled the ball, and forced turnovers.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Yes, but Wofford is predictive playcalling. The run a balanced option attack with no vertical passing game. Like GSU, everyone in the building knows what is coming. They tried some trick plays in there, wen't for it on fourth down, and nothing seemed to work. Frankly, I think they were too concerned with what GSU did against with Furman (success on the outside), that they got away from dancing with who brung them (Breitenstin).

The problem for Wofford, is they really haven't played from behind all season, and they had to on Saturday. Furman "out wofforded" Wofford. Ran the ball, controlled the ball, and forced turnovers.

reps...because it's true.....I mean I really don't think I can add to that, because I think if you look at the film for the first drive a significant number of the runs were between tackle, not necessarily a dive, but still a run up the middle. I was worried about our offensive gameplan as I wasn't sure if we were going to duplicate GSU approach and Furman try to stop the pitch or stick with what worked and Furman stop the run as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if we messed up on the first couple of drives, because ultimately I thought we'd adjust but in actuality Furman seemed to adjust and we went away from what worked.

youwouldno
October 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
tell me where I guaranteed a victory over Furman. hint: a prediction is different from a guarantee

Advice: take advantage of the ignore feature. Addition by subtraction, as they say.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Advice: take advantage of the ignore feature. Addition by subtraction, as they say.
I'm getting there, but honestly I think that's an immature way to deal with things

youwouldno
October 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
I'm getting there, but honestly I think that's an immature way to deal with things

Why? The interwebs are full of trolls. Ignoring a few here and there lets you exchange with people who actually might have something interesting to say. Trolls feed off reaction to their antics... take that away and it improves the board.

ngineer
October 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
yes. I'd rather play a Big South/patriot/pioneer team and get an "on paper" easy win against a D1 team for the playoffs. The sad thing is that very few teams want to play us because we've gotten so good lately.

Actually, we'd love to play you guys, Furman, The Citadel, and other SoCons as one or two of our OOC games. Unfortunately, other than you guys 11 and 13 years ago, we can't get a game with anyone from your conference. Main reason has been that for the open dates available, the SoCon teams would rather get $450K to play an SEC or ACC team, than a non-revenue game or costly game, if away; and a game they may get beat. Our AD has lamented this situation for years. With our former HC now at The Citadel we thought a match, there, would be cool. Yes, it would, but not "cold cash". Such is life. So we're left with maybe meeting in playoffs...Once with Furman around 2000 or so. Two small, private schools with great academic reputations would seem a natural.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Actually, we'd love to play you guys, Furman, The Citadel, and other SoCons as one or two of our OOC games. Unfortunately, other than you guys 11 and 13 years ago, we can't get a game with anyone from your conference. Main reason has been that for the open dates available, the SoCon teams would rather get $450K to play an SEC or ACC team, than a non-revenue game or costly game, if away; and a game they may get beat. Our AD has lamented this situation for years. With our former HC now at The Citadel we thought a match, there, would be cool. Yes, it would, but not "cold cash". Such is life. So we're left with maybe meeting in playoffs...Once with Furman around 2000 or so. Two small, private schools with great academic reputations would seem a natural.
from what I can tell, the alumni would LOVE to play a team like Lehigh. the problem is mainly financial/not having enough home games on our part

ngineer
October 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
from what I can tell, the alumni would LOVE to play a team like Lehigh. the problem is mainly financial/not having enough home games on our part

Exactly.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Exactly.

It is hard to turn down those big SEC paychecks.

Once the economy turned, I see Furman playing home games against a lot closer schools. I imagine we will see the rotation of Presbyterian, Coastal, and points surrounding for a while now. Just not economically feasible to make cross country trips to play a football game anymore.

PaladinNation
October 23rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
As a Furman Fan what I liked was Coach Fowler didn't panic after the GSU loss. In recent years BL would panic and Furman would try some many things we did very few things well.

Bruce Fowler wants Furman to run the ball, and to be able to stop the run. GSU was a reality check for us fans. It took Bobby Johnson years to build Furman into being competitive against the speed and discipline of GSU. Furman, and Wofford IMO will never match athlete to athlete against the likes of APP, GSU, and Chatty.

Furman at it's most successful played tough, physical balanced football, at times we could be flashy, but most of the time Furman played smash-mouth football. We saw flashes of this against GSU and a good bit more against the Terriers.

Will be interesting to see what type of team Furman puts on the field in the next couple of years.

Tribal
October 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
I've had Wofford near the top of my AGS poll all season. I won't change my voting because of one game. Because I'm not a toddler xholyx, my attention span exceeds 1 week and I haven't forgotten that they gave Clemson all they could handle. Nov 12th will be huge.

apaladin
October 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
I've had Wofford near the top of my AGS poll all season. I won't change my voting because of one game. Because I'm not a toddler xholyx, my attention span exceeds 1 week and I haven't forgotten that they gave Clemson all they could handle. Nov 12th will be huge.

Probably not worth much but I like that WC had more big plays, yards and points against Clempson than FU. xthumbsupx

OL FU
October 24th, 2011, 06:21 AM

When you predict the kind of lopsided game you predicted, that's as close to a guaranty as needed:p

You know I can't let you slide:D

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Great win Furman!!! There is such parity in the Socon this year, it's amazing...except for Western that is. Now that we've rediscovered our offense and FU has shown that Wofford isn't invincible, I want ASU to have another crack at them. I think I would like the outcome more the second time.

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Great win Furman!!! There is such parity in the Socon this year, it's amazing...except for Western that is. Now that we've rediscovered our offense and FU has shown that Wofford isn't invincible, I want ASU to have another crack at them. I think I would like the outcome more the second time.

If the SoCon can get four teams in the playoffs, it is almost assured that one team will get a second crack at a team that beat them.

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Don't forget their horrible showing against Presbyterian too.

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM
If the SoCon can get four teams in the playoffs, it is almost assured that one team will get a second crack at a team that beat them.

as long as it is GSU vs. Furman in texas that is fine with me!

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Don't forget their horrible showing against Presbyterian too.

I don't worry much about Wofford's showing against Presbyterian. Remember, that was Presby's first game of the season, their chance to make a splash on the national stage, at home, and against an in-state team. Litererally they loaded up the entire wagon for that one, and undoubtedly spent the better part of the summer focusing on Wofford (because they certainly didn't focus on GSU and Furman).

I remember seeing a similar event in 2005 when Furman lost in Cullowhee. Sometimes you just can't discount a team that turns a game into their superbowl and puts all their eggs in winning that game, even if there is a big talent disparity.

I know GSU folks want to use transitivity to convince themselves that Wofford isn't that good. I think that's a dangerous line of thinking.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I don't worry much about Wofford's showing against Presbyterian. Remember, that was Presby's first game of the season, their chance to make a splash on the national stage, at home, and against an in-state team. Litererally they loaded up the entire wagon for that one, and undoubtedly spent the better part of the summer focusing on Wofford (because they certainly didn't focus on GSU and Furman).

I remember seeing a similar event in 2005 when Furman lost in Cullowhee. Sometimes you just can't discount a team that turns a game into their superbowl and puts all their eggs in winning that game, even if there is a big talent disparity.

I know GSU folks want to use transitivity to convince themselves that Wofford isn't that good. I think that's a dangerous line of thinking.
And conversely, Furman lost to Coastal in the first game of the season this year. I think they're better than that. Wofford came out with the same level of energy saturday as they did against PC. Furman was more into it (not as into it as PC though by any stretch) than Wofford was, and if you're Wofford you can afford to be that way against a sub par team like PC, but not against a very good team like Furman (especially when Furman played a near perfect game offensively).

FurmanWins!!
October 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Here is the real highlight Package ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvqFbecnMhs

Terrierforlife
October 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. We got punched in the mouth all day. This Furman team looked nothing like last years.

Terrierforlife
October 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
unranked Furman was simply much better than Wofford this past weekend

simple

very simple indeed

Again, I have to agree. That is how it looked Sat. I was amazed.

eaglesrthe1
October 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Furman had a good game plan against GSU. They contolled the FB dive, they made the QB pitch by having a man on him all day. They were in position on the pitch man, but GSU countered with exceptional perimeter blocking. FU had the bodies in place, GSU just executed. I remember thinking near the end of the 3rd qtr that GSU had the game well in hand, but that they had to pay for pretty much every yard they got.

The only thing that GSU was able to get any large chunks of yardage on was the handful of passes that they threw.

The "closest" 50-20 game that I ever saw, if that makes any sense.

seantaylor
October 28th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Furman had a good game plan against GSU. They contolled the FB dive, they made the QB pitch by having a man on him all day. They were in position on the pitch man, but GSU countered with exceptional perimeter blocking. FU had the bodies in place, GSU just executed. I remember thinking near the end of the 3rd qtr that GSU had the game well in hand, but that they had to pay for pretty much every yard they got.

The only thing that GSU was able to get any large chunks of yardage on was the handful of passes that they threw.

The "closest" 50-20 game that I ever saw, if that makes any sense.

Disagree. GSU played the backups the entire 4th quarter. Would have been a bigger blowout if the starters stayed in.