PDA

View Full Version : SNW: Surprises and disappointments from NCAA meetings

TexasTerror
May 1st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Didn't see an individual thread about this, just that old NCAA meetings thread. Interesting read by The Sports Network and 'Where's Matt?' himself, Matt Dougherty...

Lots of information on who, what, where and when happens now...
-----------
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - We will still be playing and watching I-AA football in 2006.

Barring a last-second miracle, the I-AA name remains for at least one more season, as the NCAA Division I Board of Directors decided Thursday to defer the change in nomenclature to another date. The Board deferred taking action to delete the subdivision labels in Division I until replacement labels are set. While the Board acknowledged that the wrongful use of labels can be a problem for I-AA teams, it could not take action with an absence of new nomenclature.

While the lack of action was a surprise for I-AA leaders, it was reluctance on the part of I-A presidents on the Board of Directors that put a halt to the name change.

"We were told on our Wednesday meeting with the NCAA that they hit on us being the Championship Division and were comfortable with it," said Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton. "Obviously the word wasn’t out there yet because the I-A Presidents pulled off of it."

Fullerton believes there is a chance at quick movement if people only have to sign off on the nomenclature, though there would have to be work between the staff for the committees for both I-AA and I-A. However, he knows that at a certain point very soon the change has to be a year away. The next Board of Directors meeting will not be held until August 3.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4018370.htm

May 1st, 2006, 06:59 PM
Just wait until tomorrow's WAVES...

TexasTerror
May 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Just wait until tomorrow's WAVES...

"Where's Matt" going to emanate from the NCAA meetings? ;)

May 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM
"Where's Matt" going to emanate from the NCAA meetings? ;) Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher, Commissioner of the Ohio Valley Conference; Doug Fullerton, Commissioner of the Big Sky Conference; Dennis Poppe, NCAA Managing Director of Football (and Baseball); and Patti Viverito, Commissioner of the Gateway Football Conference and Pioneer Football League all talk in 20+ minute segments about the meetings and all the future changes, in-depth and insightful. It's a bit different to say the least.