PDA

View Full Version : FCS Doubleheader at Mercedes-Benz Superdome?

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The Superdome may be home to a FCS doubleheader down the road. The facility already hosts the Bayou Classic and is seeking a major contest for a neutral site game. In addition, this article indicates that they would consider a FCS doubleheader.

I realistically believe that with the right team(s), that a Louisiana FCS doubleheader could exceed attendance of the regular occupiers of football Saturdays at the same facility.

Personally, I feel you can include Mississippi. Make it McNeese vs Jackson State & Southern vs either Southeastern or Nicholls as the matinee.

Bruno would like to see matchups similar to the LSU-Oregon game earlier this season at Cowboys Stadium and the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic between Georgia and Boise State at the Georgia Dome.

Bruno said now is the perfect time to maximize on the potential of the stadium, which has undergone $336 million in renovation and recently was rebranded.

“We normally are the leaders and not the followers,” Bruno said. “But what Texas has been able to do with the new stadium that they have there in attracting big college football games is something that we have to do here. We are a tourist town, and clearly it would be very attractive for any of these universities to schedule one of these rivalry-type games here. It would be a great shot in the arm for us.”

Thornton was in full agreement and acknowledged that his staff already has been searching to land such a game, pitting two regional teams from BCS conferences. Dome officials are also considering hosting a Football Championship Subdivision doubleheader with in-state teams.

http://www.nola.com/sugarbowl/index.ssf/2011/10/nba_lockout_impasse_wont_negat.html

kdinva
October 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
From a geographic point of view, that's a good place for a neutral site game with App. St. v. Montana; Georgia Southern v. N. Dakota St., etc, etc. xnodx xbeerdrinkx .........but, from a {regular season} logistics/traveling point of view........ xchinscratchx I know the article mentions Louisiana/area schools.