PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Fan Review: JMU's Bridgeforth Stadium

JmuSkinsfan
October 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I know this only applies to 4 fan bases so far, and fanbases that tend to travel poorly, but I was curious as to what visiting fans' impressions were of JMU's new digs? I know Richmond fans took a lot of shots at the stadium before our game (unwarranted, IMO), but afterwards heard a few say they loved it. I'm not trying to toot our horn, because I know we have a sick stadium that JMU fans absolutely love, but I was wondering what opposing fans felt...

jmufan999
October 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Drinking game: every time someone uses the word "lopsided" in this thread, take a drink.

asumike83
October 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Drinking game: every time someone uses the word "lopsided" in this thread, take a drink.

Great looking stadium, just so lopsided! I really like the new digs but being so lopsided is the only thing holding it back from being even more awesome. Once you guys add levels to the visitors side, it will look excellent and not so lopsided. Right now it is just so... lopsided. Very lopsided.

Tip your bartenders.

UNHFan
October 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I know this only applies to 4 fan bases so far, and fanbases that tend to travel poorly, but I was curious as to what visiting fans' impressions were of JMU's new digs? I know Richmond fans took a lot of shots at the stadium before our game (unwarranted, IMO), but afterwards heard a few say they loved it. I'm not trying to toot our horn, because I know we have a sick stadium that JMU fans absolutely love, but I was wondering what opposing fans felt...

Can somebody please interrupt this opening line for me? I know this only applies to 4 fan bases so far, and fanbases that tend to travel poorly,

StorminASU
October 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Can somebody please interrupt this opening line for me? I know this only applies to 4 fan bases so far, and fanbases that tend to travel poorly,

Alright:
"I know this only applies to 4 fan bases so far: AHHHHHHH!!!! HEY, LOOK AT ME!!! HEY, STOP READING THIS SENTENCE!, and fanbases that tend to travel poorly"

How was that? Is that what you had in mind Academia?
Academia!! lol

tribefan40
October 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Went up for the Maine game and was very impressed. I was sitting on the old side so the lopsidedness (does that count?) didn't bother me so much. I felt like the basketball arena hid the lopsidedness well from outside the stadium. Consessions were great, video board/sound were top notch, and they had the play-by-play going in the bathroom. Very nice.

JmuSkinsfan
October 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I know this only applies to 4 fan bases so far, and fanbases that tend to travel poorly, but I was curious as to what visiting fans' impressions were of JMU's new digs?

Okay, re-write: "I know this thread probably won't get too many responses since not many visiting fans have attended JMU games this year, but can those that HAVE please give feedback?"

UNHFan
October 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Okay, re-write: "I know this thread probably won't get too many responses since not many visiting fans have attended JMU games this year, but can those that HAVE please give feedback?"

I am beyond jealous of the JMU Stadium... and I will be visiting next year when UNH heads to your place. I am sure Ill be drooling from what pics I have seen. If you come to UNH you may want to get drunk before showing up...I do... makes its look like Gillette stadium! :-P

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I am beyond jealous of the JMU Stadium... and I will be visiting next year when UNH heads to your place. I am sure Ill be drooling from what pics I have seen. If you come to UNH you may want to get drunk before showing up...I do... makes its look like Gillette stadium! :-P

Won't it look like Gillette stadium this week???

owascoag
October 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I like the proximity to the Appalachian Trail. A quick ride up to Swift Run Gap.

kdinva
October 21st, 2011, 05:51 AM
I was curious as to what visiting fans' impressions were of JMU's new digs? I know Richmond fans took a lot of shots at the stadium before our game

.....jealousy.

344Johnson
October 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM
It looks like a great venue especially for an FCS team. I am extremely jealous. Wouldn't mind seeing NDSU put a project like that together but filling it up would be tough especially in late months. Dont take that stadium for granted!

JmuSkinsfan
October 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
I like the proximity to the Appalachian Trail. A quick ride up to Swift Run Gap.

Actually, I never really thought about that. Visiting fans (especially ones from outside Va who don't spend much time in the state) should make a weekend out of the trip. You have the App Trail, Blue Ridge Parkway and Luray Caverns all within 20-30 minutes of Harrisonburg. There are certainly many things I haven't taken advantage of as a student that I'm sure I'll look back and regret. Too many weekends spent drinking in apartments and not out in the great surroundings provided by the Shenendoah Valley.

JMUNJ08
October 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Actually, I never really thought about that. Visiting fans (especially ones from outside Va who don't spend much time in the state) should make a weekend out of the trip. You have the App Trail, Blue Ridge Parkway and Luray Caverns all within 20-30 minutes of Harrisonburg. There are certainly many things I haven't taken advantage of as a student that I'm sure I'll look back and regret. Too many weekends spent drinking in apartments and not out in the great surroundings provided by the Shenendoah Valley.

There were not enough weekends spent drinking in apartments****

But I agree the outdoor activities are great and should be utilized more by visitors and the students

jmufan999
October 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM

Not trying to derail the thread topic, but my biggest regret was not using UREC more (especially the rock climbing wall, which I didn't start getting into until I was a senior). So I would take advantage of that as often as you can.

heath
October 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Looks great from 81,don't really recognize the lopsidedness,just see the purple seats rising above the campus.Back in the 80's we used to sit below the train tracks on the hill and catapult water balloons onto the field after leaving fraternity row tailgates.We almost hit Tracy Ham on the goal line in 85 I believe it was. Wow.....time fliesxchinscratchx

proasu89
October 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM

I'd be happy to interrupt and tell you how lopsided it is.

HailSzczur
October 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM

When we went down for the playoff game in 2008 we did Luray Caverns and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and it made for a great weekend. Sadly I could not make it down for the game, but can't wait to check it out in 2 years hopefully. My brother stopped by in August to check the stadium out and said that the pictures didnt really do it justice, that you needed to actually see it to believe it.