PDA

View Full Version : New FBS East Coast Conference

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
The following teams have all had talks about moving up and are all members of the same FCS conference. Georgia Southern, Jax State and App State have also expressed interest in making the jump to the FBS. A conference like this would mirror the ACC much like the MAC mirrors the B1G.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218095850174721965174.0004af03997b7fcba1ba4

The schools are... (current conference)
Appalachian State (SoCon)
Charlotte (Indy / possible CAA)
Delaware (CAA)
Georgia Southern (SoCon)
Georgia State (CAA)
Jacksonville State (OVC)
James Madison (CAA)
Old Dominion (CAA)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/josephs2k/CAA.jpg

Other Possible Schools...
Villanova (CAA)
UMass (MAC)
Liberty (Big South)

Long Shots...
UAB (C-USA)
W&M (CAA)
SCSU (MEAC)
EKU (OVC)
FAMU (MEAC)

Current Sagarin Ratings...

Appalachian State -87
Charlotte - NA
Delaware - 116
Georgia Southern - 46
Georgia State - 229
Jacksonville State - 145
James Madison - 92
Old Dominion - 137

Team - Attendance - (Capacity)

Appalachian State -26,212 (21,650)
Charlotte - NA (15,300)
Delaware - 18,821 (22,000)
Georgia Southern - 20,173 (18,000)
Georgia State - 16,312 (71,228)
Jacksonville State - 16,783 (24,000)
James Madison - 24,979 (24,878)
Old Dominion - 19,818 (19,818)

bluehenbillk
October 20th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Yes, some of our fans, including myself, would like to see UD move up to FBS. However, UD itself has never publicly even hinted they'd entertain the move. Unless there is a change of leadership you can scratch UD off that list...unforunately ain't happening.

superman7515
October 20th, 2011, 08:04 AM
But there's an NCAA rule against teams moving up without an invitation from an existing FBS conference, so it's a moot point.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
But there's an NCAA rule against teams moving up without an invitation from an existing FBS conference, so it's a moot point.

I could be wrong but I believe that is not accurate if schools move as a group in an already in existance conference.

asumike83
October 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Theoretically? That would be a great move for all involved and be a ton of fun to watch.

Realistically? Probably never going to happen.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Theoretically? That would be a great move for all involved and be a ton of fun to watch.

I actually got the idea from a App State fan who claimed to be "in the know" he said it was one of the options that the ASU board looked at if they did not get a FBS offer. All i'm saying is that they talked about it, not that they were moving ahead with anything, but still interesting to me.

Another problem would be Charlotte's stadium being too small in it's initial configuration.

asumike83
October 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I actually got the idea from a App State fan who claimed to be "in the know" he said it was one of the options that the ASU board looked at if they did not get a FBS offer. All i'm saying is that they talked about it, not that they were moving ahead with anything, but still interesting to me.

Another problem would be Charlotte's stadium being too small in it's initial configuration.

I have definitely heard it mentioned by ASU fans and Charlie Cobb himself has also mentioned the possibility of a new FBS league among our options for the future. Not trying to knock you for mentioning it, I just think there may be too many moving parts for it to work. Getting all those schools prepared and willing to move at the same time would be difficult but if it can be done, I would fully support it!

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 08:17 AM
In a recent, small sample size, poll on GSUFans.com a slight majority would be in support of this rather than playing in the already established Sun Belt conference.

Bogus Megapardus
October 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Presently, the only conference that would be eligible to move to FBS as a group would be the Ivy League.

asumike83
October 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM
In a recent, small sample size, poll on GSUFans.com a slight majority would be in support of this rather than playing in the already established Sun Belt conference.

I think that league would be MUCH better than the Sun Belt. Given the pre-existing rivalries with GSU and JMU along with ease of travel, I would probably prefer this league to C-USA if ECU is no longer around. Like I said, I just think the logistics would be tough.

SideLine Shooter
October 20th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I like it. Travel would certainly be easier.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Having App and starting a rivalry with GaSta would be an attractive option for many GSU fans. "Local" games wil Charlotte and JaxSt would also be a plus for GSU

Apphole
October 20th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Only if UNCC comes in all sports would I consider them to be eligible for this list since they don't bring much in terms of football. You know how they're madly in love with the A-10 and all. Other than that I like the idea alot. I also don't think it'll ever happen. It just makes too much sence.

fc97
October 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM

is playing in a conference of all good a risk for fans that arent used to losing

Cocky
October 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Looks good to me and we are on the outside edge of the group. I would like to see EKU and UTC included. It would take a very short amount of time for this group to pass the SB, WAC and MAC.

Some JSU officials have mentioned a new conference possibly forming.

TheRevSFA
October 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I like it. It honestly looks feasable if everyone got on board.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Has EKU made any mention of going FBS? I have not heard anything from UTC fans or administration that they were looking into it.

GannonFan
October 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM

The NCAA would be really behind the 8-ball to try to enforce that rule in a court of law. Sure it's a rule, but it's never been challenged and it would likely not hold up.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I think a "group" effort will be required to make this happen, one school trying to move up and stay Indy would not only be suicide IMO but also would be more easily blocked.

jmufan999
October 20th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Why would we do this, though? We already play the CAA teams, and occasionally play SoCon teams either out of conference or in the playoffs.

So we're going to go from playing each other with the main goal being a national title, to the main goal being a meaningless bowl game. Doesn't do it for me. I want to play for the highest possible prize at JMU's level, and this would not do it. I'm not one of those people that cares if we're on ESPN (although that's a great bonus when it happens) or if my friends know/care about JMU football. As you can tell, I'm not in favor of a JMU-to-FBS move anyway, since we wouldn't be going to a BCS conference. I'm not interested in playing for the Jack Links Beef Jerky Bowl (don't even know if that exists but wouldn't be surprised).

These ideas sound very nice, and they're great football programs. I just don't see it as an improvement over what we already have (at least in JMU's case, I won't speak for the other schools [even most JMU fans disagree with me and that's fine] ). More money involved, great. I'm interested in national titles, period.

WH49er
October 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM

This would be pretty easy for us to solve as the stadium can be expanded up to 40K.

WH49er
October 20th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Only if UNCC comes in all sports would I consider them to be eligible for this list since they don't bring much in terms of football. You know how they're madly in love with the A-10 and all. Other than that I like the idea alot. I also don't think it'll ever happen. It just makes too much sence.

I don't think the majority of our fans are "madly in love" with the A-10. Until 2013, basketball is our money sport and the A-10 is one of the few non-BCS conferences that consistently provides the possibility of multiple at-large bids for the tournament. That being said, we haven't done much lately with these opportunities.

Once football is here the "basketball first" attitude will have to go.

Cocky
October 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Has EKU made any mention of going FBS? I have not heard anything from UTC fans or administration that they were looking into it.

Not to my knowledge, I would just like to have the states of Tn and Ky represented. EKU fans would like to make a move somewhere. OVC doesnt have toomany football first schools.

Apphole
October 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
This would be pretty easy for us to solve as the stadium can be expanded up to 40K.

40k empty seats won't solve anything. Filling the first seats would be priority one.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Why would we do this, though? We already play the CAA teams, and occasionally play SoCon teams either out of conference or in the playoffs.

This "new conference" would provide a regional FBS home for similar schools to compete at the highest level of football available. these schools, in most cases, have similar stadiums, tradition, success, and passion at the FCS level and have all, in some form, talked about or looked at the possibility of making a move to the FBS.

Waco Kid
October 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
UTC should really study their potential in FBS if ASU and GSU leave the SoCon. They would really have nothing in common with the rest of football playing schools in the league. Charlotte is at least 5 years away from being able to make the jump so I'd say add UTC to your list in place of Charlotte for now then add the 49er's down the road. If UD isn't going anywhere take a hard look at Liberty to fill that spot. I know the religion thing can be an issue for some, but if we're talking purely about this from an athletics point of view they fit in. Delaware would be in a similar situation to UTC if JMU, ODU, and G State leave the CAA with UMass already bolting. Both schools might be forced to move up.

WH49er
October 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
40k empty seats won't solve anything. Filling the first seats would be priority one.

Where did I state we would fill a 40K stadium from game one? I was responding to the poster's concern about our stadium being too small for FBS.

Rather than offer insight on a problem that affects your university too, you chose to let your obsession get the best of you and make another Pre-K comment about Charlotte. That alone speaks volumes.

49RFootballNow
October 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Where did I state we would fill a 40K stadium from game one? I was responding to the poster's concern about our stadium being too small for FBS.

Rather than offer insight on a problem that affects your university too, you chose to let your obsession get the best of you and make another Pre-K comment about Charlotte. That alone speaks volumes.

It's his Schtick. It's all he has besides bumper sticker counting.

Anyway, A10 is the worst basketball conference for us, besides all the others that turn less of a per-team profit.

jmufan999
October 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
This "new conference" would provide a regional FBS home for similar schools to compete at the highest level of football available.

That's fine, but why is the "highest level of football available" the best? Doesn't it bother you to know that winning a national championship would instantly become out of the question? You could win this conference for 5 straight years, posting a 60-0 record, and the winner still would still be at home watching Alabama play Ohio State for the national title. Even if Boise State had gone undefeated last year, they still wouldn't have played for all the marbles. And they've been dominant for several years now.

I know this is probably an "agree to disagree" situation, it is just depressing for me to know that winning it all is no longer an option. The whole "polls aren't important in FCS because we have the playoffs" thing is no longer valid; the polls and BCS standings are everything. And again, I know that I'm in the minority on this. It's just depressing to me. I've heard JMU fans say that we could move up to an FBS conference, dominate, and move again to a better conference in 5 years. I just don't think that is realistic.

Apphole
October 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I just know more about UNCC than the average person. You're just mad because the truth hurts.

49RFootballNow
October 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I just know more about UNCC than the average person. You're just mad because the truth hurts.

Apphole, you wouldn't know s*** if you were the last link in a human centipede.

Cocky
October 20th, 2011, 01:38 PM
That's fine, but why is the "highest level of football available" the best? Doesn't it bother you to know that winning a national championship would instantly become out of the question? You could win this conference for 5 straight years, posting a 60-0 record, and the winner still would still be at home watching Alabama play Ohio State for the national title. Even if Boise State had gone undefeated last year, they still wouldn't have played for all the marbles. And they've been dominant for several years now.

I know this is probably an "agree to disagree" situation, it is just depressing for me to know that winning it all is no longer an option. The whole "polls aren't important in FCS because we have the playoffs" thing is no longer valid; the polls and BCS standings are everything. And again, I know that I'm in the minority on this. It's just depressing to me. I've heard JMU fans say that we could move up to an FBS conference, dominate, and move again to a better conference in 5 years. I just don't think that is realistic.

What about all of your other teams? Football is the only one with a chance at a NC, so why not drop to DII so everyone would have a chance?

ASUMountaineer
October 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM

I think you're right that it's an "agree to disagree" situation. Winning the FCS national title is not the end-all-be-all for me with college football. Don't get me wrong, I am darn proud of those championships, but a solid, regional conference, with similar schools, playing at a similar level is more important to me than winning the second highest national title.

I used to be anti-ASU moving to the FBS, but have come around to the idea. It seems to me that some of these schools have outgrown their conferences, and quite possibly the FCS. For some, a move will be feasible, and for others it won't be. IMO, for ASU only, I think a move to FBS is the right move. I know there are plenty that disagree.

HXC Niner
October 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM

mhmm....Actually it seems like you are the one who is always mad. People are discussing legitimate realignment possibilities, and who always pops in to say "No, I don't like Charlotte! blah blah blah community college, blah blah blah, no support, blah blah blah App is closer to Charlotte than Charlotte." Everyone get's it. Now stop throwing tantrums like a little child. Let me guess, "I live in Charlotte so that makes me an expert. Have you seen how many App stickers there were today?"

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227119_202850579751693_100000802568024_481543_3192 168_n.jpg

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
This is one reason I think Charlotte needs to be a lock, the ASU Vs Charlotte rivalry would be instant.

jmufan999
October 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I think you're right that it's an "agree to disagree" situation. Winning the FCS national title is not the end-all-be-all for me with college football. Don't get me wrong, I am darn proud of those championships, but a solid, regional conference, with similar schools, playing at a similar level is more important to me than winning the second highest national title.

I used to be anti-ASU moving to the FBS, but have come around to the idea. It seems to me that some of these schools have outgrown their conferences, and quite possibly the FCS. For some, a move will be feasible, and for others it won't be. IMO, for ASU only, I think a move to FBS is the right move. I know there are plenty that disagree.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll warm up to the idea like you did, eventually.

What about all of your other teams? Football is the only one with a chance at a NC, so why not drop to DII so everyone would have a chance?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. We won a D-1 national title in archery a few years ago, don't know if there were other JMU sports that did as well. I guess you lost me on this one.

jmufan999
October 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I think that league would be MUCH better than the Sun Belt. Given the pre-existing rivalries with GSU and JMU along with ease of travel, I would probably prefer this league to C-USA if ECU is no longer around. Like I said, I just think the logistics would be tough.

Maybe I'm looking at this too negatively. I totally agree with this post. If the choices are Sun Belt, C-USA, or this new proposed conference, I would take this new conference in a heartbeat.

Dignan
October 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM

We won the national championship in women's field hockey my freshman year, '94. Also, we have been in the baseball college world series and are often in the NCAA soccer playoffs in both men's and women's. Even in basketball we've had periods in which we've been strong.

I'm not saying I agree with jmufan999 about not moving to FBS necessarily, nor am I trying to be snarky with you. Just want to set the record straight.

gasoutherneagle
October 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM

WELL, I think you've just solved the Big East's mass exodus issue. Start making phone calls, Big East!

Friend of Pounce
October 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm going to assume my comments will be somewhat flameproof since it's someone other than a GaSt fan who put us into the conversation...

I think this might actually be the most ideal FBS scenario most of these schools could hope for. I think it's hard to deny that many people will simply care more about a program when it competes at the FBS level, but it seems tough to tell, say, GaSo fans: "Okay, now the North Texas game is more important than the App St. rivalry." If that'd even be there at all anymore. I definitely feel that for our fans, the combo of FBS-level football and rivalries that make sense would work well.

And yes, I do want to see our team grow a bit as an FCS program before taking such a leap.

Also, I'd add that South Alabama and Troy might be interesting additions from the Sun Belt is this were to ever happen.

PonteVedraEagle
October 20th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Yes, some of our fans, including myself, would like to see UD move up to FBS. However, UD itself has never publicly even hinted they'd entertain the move. Unless there is a change of leadership you can scratch UD off that list...unforunately ain't happening.

Why, do you think UDel leadership hasn't shown interest?

Mr. C
October 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I could be wrong but I believe that is not accurate if schools move as a group in an already in existance conference.

At the FCS summit we had in Frisco on the day of the championship game, Tom Yeager asked the No. 2 man in the NCAA the question of whether a conference could move up together. He was told, flatly, NO. It would take new legislation to make that possible and the powers of FBS would never vote for that.

93henfan
October 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Why, do you think UDel leadership hasn't shown interest?

Our President is a Wharton guy and our AD is a Georgetown guy. They've shown that moving the football program forward is not a concern of theirs in their "Path to Prominence". If you mentioned being in a conference with Appy, Jacksonville St, and GaSou, their elitist blood pressure would rise and they might have a coronary on the spot.

For me as a UD football fan and season ticket holder, I'd LOVE this conference for football. It would be a blast. Doesn't make a helluva lot of sense for us in the other sports though.

PonteVedraEagle
October 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM

I agree with most of what you're saying. I also think the cards are stacked very high against anyone trying to climb to the BCS level. Any of the top 15 FCS programs would have a decent shot at a no-name bowl if they individually moved up to the Sun Belt, etc...

I've watched USM over the years and see them as a program in a similar setting as GSU. I feel zero envy for what they have. No disrespect toward their program, but they're getting little respect from anyone in the BCS. They play a good brand of football, but it has much less appeal (to me) than the FCS Playoff system...

tribepride74
October 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM
anybody watching uab and central florida- maybe 500 people there- is that what u want - another sunbelt where nobody cares?

PonteVedraEagle
October 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Our President is a Wharton guy and our AD is a Georgetown guy. They've shown that moving the football program forward is not a concern of theirs in their "Path to Prominence". If you mentioned being in a conference with Appy, Jacksonville St, and GaSou, their elitist blood pressure would rise and they might have a coronary on the spot.

For me as a UD football fan and season ticket holder, I'd LOVE this conference for football. It would be a blast. Doesn't make a helluva lot of sense for us in the other sports though.

Thanks

PonteVedraEagle
October 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
anybody watching uab and central florida- maybe 500 people there- is that what u want - another sunbelt where nobody cares?

That's Conf-USA

tribepride74
October 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
real academic powerhouse conference- why not just call it sunbelt east

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm going to assume my comments will be somewhat flameproof since it's someone other than a GaSt fan who put us into the conversation...

I think this might actually be the most ideal FBS scenario most of these schools could hope for. I think it's hard to deny that many people will simply care more about a program when it competes at the FBS level, but it seems tough to tell, say, GaSo fans: "Okay, now the North Texas game is more important than the App St. rivalry." If that'd even be there at all anymore. I definitely feel that for our fans, the combo of FBS-level football and rivalries that make sense would work well.

And yes, I do want to see our team grow a bit as an FCS program before taking such a leap.

Also, I'd add that South Alabama and Troy might be interesting additions from the Sun Belt is this were to ever happen.

That is why I can't get into the FBS talk for JMU. When we were talking about the MAC, our closest rivalries would be Ohio U??? Really??? How much fun would that be for a fan base primarily in VA and Northeast? Even though I am in NJ now and can't get to the games as much, its nice to see all the in-state and local rivalries. Rivalries are what built the game into the $$$ maker it is now at the upper level. Can't believe Texas A&M finds it better to play Kentucky and Vandy over Texas....

Mr. C
October 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM
That is why I can't get into the FBS talk for JMU. When we were talking about the MAC, our closest rivalries would be Ohio U??? Really??? How much fun would that be for a fan base primarily in VA and Northeast? Even though I am in NJ now and can't get to the games as much, its nice to see all the in-state and local rivalries. Rivalries are what built the game into the $$$ maker it is now at the upper level. Can't believe Texas A&M finds it better to play Kentucky and Vandy over Texas....

It just doesn't make sense for most FCS teams. I could give Villanova a pass for wanting to move up, because if the Cats went to the Big East, they are protecting basketball and moving to a current BCS conference. Most other FCS schools have ZERO chance of ever breaking into the FCS, or ever leaving the bottom quadrant of FBS spending.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM
That is why I can't get into the FBS talk for JMU. When we were talking about the MAC, our closest rivalries would be Ohio U??? Really??? How much fun would that be for a fan base primarily in VA and Northeast?

You mean, Tuesday night football doesn't hold fascination for you? xlolx

Mr. C
October 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM

You have to love the Tuesday Night MAC Game of the Week.

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2011, 11:16 PM

I always catch the Bowling Green / Buffalo games.....that is when DWTS isn't on...

apaladin
October 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM
The NCAA/FBS would never allow a "new" FBS conference made up of current FCS members. What would be the point anyway? All it would be is a label change. Would those teams really want to give up a chance to win a NC albeit a lower classification for maybe a very low bowl game? They would never be even in the conversation for the popularity championship called the BCS.

GaSouthern
October 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
The other option would be for the WAC to add ALL of these members on the east coast and break up into divisions, then the east coast schools would form their own conference but i'm much less a fan of that idea because it would involve playing at least 2 west coast teams a year.

GaSouthern
October 21st, 2011, 06:40 AM

Our fans would not show much interest in a game against UNT but we have had some pretty hated games against Ark ST (national championship) Troy and MTSU are former rivals and one of the F_U schools was playing us now and then about a decade ago.

I agree though the UNT, ULM and ULL games would be a snoozer.

As far as USA or Troy joining my "new fbs conference" I really would have a hard time seeing any FBS school join a conference made up of all FCS startups.

asumike83
October 21st, 2011, 08:42 AM

Every conference has a stinker in terms of attendance and for C-USA, it is UAB. They only average 18K/game. Would have been a different scene if it was played at Central Florida, who averages 40K.

ur2k
October 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
At the FCS summit we had in Frisco on the day of the championship game, Tom Yeager asked the No. 2 man in the NCAA the question of whether a conference could move up together. He was told, flatly, NO. It would take new legislation to make that possible and the powers of FBS would never vote for that.

Mr. C - thanks for this nugget. This is a piece that always gets conveniently left out when this moving up as a conference talk happens.

The Moody1
October 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM

This sounds like something that might have to be worked out in court. The threat of litigation could change some minds.

walliver
October 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
This sounds like something that might have to be worked out in court. The threat of litigation could change some minds.

The NCAA is not afraid of litigation. They frequently lose, but aren't afraid of litigation. By the time such a case could make it through court, the current BCS contract will have ended (2013). At that time, the big boys will likely leave the NCAA, or at least have their own little bailiwick. It would not surpass me at all if by 2014, there is only one D-I in football, with a national championship that the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC whatever will boycott in favor of their own lucritive deal.

alvinkayak6
October 22nd, 2011, 01:00 AM
They have lawyers just sitting around for all kinds of stuff.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM

Doggoneit, that puts a bullet in my pipe dream of the SoCon being that "east coast WAC-style" conference that David Jackson mentioned a year ago.

SoCon48
October 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM

I'm pretty much in the minority of App fans, but I'm not positively excited about moving up to the FBS. I respect Delaware's apparent decision to remain in the FCS. To me the added costs of the transition do not outweigh the perceived gains of moving to what many consider "big time" football. Many believe that some sports will have to be dropped in order to cut expenses that will incur as a result of being a member of the FBS. Another thing which must be considered for ASU is the negative impact being a member of certain FBS conferences. Do the benefits of being in FBS outweigh the astronomical costs of travel for ASU as a result of being in a much wider geographical "foot print?" It seems questionable to make such a costly move with the economy in the condition it is in at present and for the forseeable future.

SoCon48
October 22nd, 2011, 11:35 AM

So we're going to go from playing each other with the main goal being a national title, to the main goal being a meaningless bowl game. Doesn't do it for me. I want to play for the highest possible prize at JMU's level, and this would not do it. I'm not one of those people that cares if we're on ESPN (although that's a great bonus when it happens) or if my friends know/care about JMU football. As you can tell, I'm not in favor of a JMU-to-FBS move anyway, since we wouldn't be going to a BCS conference. I'm not interested in playing for the Jack Links Beef Jerky Bowl (don't even know if that exists but wouldn't be surprised).

These ideas sound very nice, and they're great football programs. I just don't see it as an improvement over what we already have (at least in JMU's case, I won't speak for the other schools [even most JMU fans disagree with me and that's fine] ). More money involved, great. I'm interested in national titles, period.

I'm one who is not interested in playing in bowls of that sort either, especially when you consider that preety much half of the FBS teams play in so called bowls.