PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-17

JALMOND
October 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Here we are in the middle of October and, true to form, the picture is getting clear in regards to the order in the Big Sky. Everything is getting set and teams are staying put in the standings, which usually means things are about to change. But for now, this is the calm before the storm. Here are this week's power rankings (last week rankings). Not much change, but placings may be different next week. As usual, all are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---Any questions of how good the Bobcats are may have been put to rest with a resounding effort and a big win last weekend at home against Northern Arizona. Is this a magical season for the Bobcats? Can they be stopped? This weekend it is Northern Colorado's turn as the Bobcats have to go on the road, as if that might stop them.

2. Montana (2)---After last week's game against Portland State, the Grizzlies were like a good martini, shaken but not stirred as they were able to pull out a victory in the end. After a shaky start, the upset minded Vikings were put in their place and the Grizzlies emerged with the win. This week, they head down south to Northern Arizona, hoping to keep the train going on a collision course with Montana State at the end of the year.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---Speaking of shaky starts, the Eagles seem to have put aside their shaky start to the season after last week's home win over lowly Northern Colorado. A game the Eagles could have easily overlooked, with both Sacramento State and Portland State on the horizon. This week, they go back on the road to Sacramento State and back to business.

4. Weber State (4)---The Wildcats are still trying to get over the hump, move up in the standings, and garner a little respect. Last week, they let their conference rival, Idaho State, stay around for the first quarter, then blew them out of the water. This week, they move out of conference to the Great West strong team, and future conference opponent, Southern Utah at home.

5. Sacramento State (6)---Last week was a bye week for the Hornets, who are trying to kick start what started out to be a magical season, yet it seems to have got away from them as the season went on. Good things were planned and, after the big win against the Pac-12, it seemed those things were right there. Now, they welcome defending national champ Eastern Washington to their home field. Winning would resurrect the season, losing may bring the curtain down.

6. Portland State (5)---Moral victories, that is what the Vikings got last week at Montana. Similar to the moral victory they got against Montana State the week before. Those moral victories show how quickly this program has turned around, playing the best team in the conference as tough as they did, and following it with a close loss at such a difficult place to play. The thing is, moral victories count as an "L" in the standings and you need real victories. This week, a good chance at a real victory as they play DIII Willamette.

7. Northern Arizona (7)---What is going on with the Lumberjacks? They had a chance for a statement last week at Montana State and just fell flat. They have been close but still seem to get a loss every time out. This week, they have another chance at a statement as they welcome Montana to their high-altitude dome. Always a good crowd, always noisy, but it seems always a loss. Will that change this weekend?

8. Idaho State (8)---Trouble within the Bengals, yet they stayed close to Weber State for a quarter anyway. Then they fell asleep and returned home on the losing end. Are they still participating or are they getting ready for next year already. This week, they step out of conference, and out of the FCS once again, to face Brigham Young. This may get ugly.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---What was mildly shocking was that the Bears kept the game close in the first half last week at Eastern Washington. Then the Eagles took the game away. But still, a good first half means the Bears are improving and are getting competitive, sort of. This week, they get to deal with mighty Montana State. Oh well, at least it is at home.

I Bleed Purple
October 19th, 2011, 02:22 AM
What a difference a half of football makes. Weber would be #2 if they had a good first half against EWU and won that game. Instead, they're fourth.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I agree down the line with you JALMOND, though I don't think many would disagree at this point. The conference is starting to take shape.

1. MSU - until someone knocks them off their perch (hopefully this doesn't happen ;)) they stay in the top spot.
2. UM - 2nd best conference record with victories over the defending champs and a tough PSU team, but stumbled @ Sac St.
3. EWU - the season started off rough for the Eagles, but they are returning to form with 3 straight wins. Even with worse conference and overall records than Weber, they rank ahead of them by virtue of the head to head win. I also think they have a good chance to win out and it is likely that Weber loses to at least one, and possibly both, Montana schools.
4. WSU - 3rd best conference record, but best win is over Sac St. Tough remaining schedule means WSU can potentially move up or down 2-3 spots by the end of the year, IMO.
5. Sac St. - Big wins over FBS Oregon State and Montana, but 3 road losses to pretty good teams. A confidence-building win this weekend could give way to running the table the rest of the year due to having 4 of 5 at home, facing only McCaffrey-less PSU on the road.
6. PSU - on a 2 game slide after facing the Montana schools and McCaffrey being injured does not bode well for the Vikes. Must win all remaining FCS games (@ EWU, Sac St., @ UNC, WSU) to reach playoff eligible 7 D-I wins.
7. NAU - also on a 2 game slide after facing 2 of the conference's top 3, with the 3rd coming to town this weekend. Ouch, that is one tough stretch of schedule.
8. ISU - been a tough season for the Bengals, getting beat by significant margins in almost all their losses. Only wins are D-II Western State and conference mate UNC, which leads us to ....
9. UNC - a bad team with no wins and losses to D-II transitional school Lindenwood and a blowout loss to fellow bottom feeder ISU. It's hard to pick a game that they win out of their remaining schedule, but hopefully they don't pack it in for the year.

wapiti
October 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
1. Montana State---Played well at home against NAU

2. Montana---Squeeked out a home W over PSU, but enough to stay at number 2

3. Eastern Washington--Working their way back up the rankings and still have a shot of being playoff eligible.

4. Weber State---Still has room for one loss and be playoff eligible. BBQ has a decent chance to move up these rankings.

5. Sacramento State---A bit inconsistent in their play. Sac beat a FBS team and Montana for the first time, but have big losses to SUU and BBQ. Sac state is both good and bad this year. Which team is going to show up?

6. Portland State---I would have put ahead of Sac State, but with the loss of their stud running back they get knocked behind Sac St.

7. Northern Arizona (7)---The game against MSU showed that NAU has some work to do.

8. Idaho State (8)---I thought ISU would have made more noise then they have thus far into the season. They still have work to do.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---

Walkon79
October 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
NAU and Sac State could shake this up a ton with wins this week.

THE HERD
October 19th, 2011, 03:26 PM
The Cats are gonna run the table in the BSC and get a top 4 seed...book it.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The Cats are gonna run the table in the BSC and get a top 4 seed...book it.

I feel somewhat confident in this being the end result, but the game in Ogden worries me. And in almost any year, no matter what the difference in the teams, Cat-Griz is such a huge game, you can never mark it on the calendar as a W. Playing it in Bozeman makes me cautiously optimistic though.

CrunchGriz
October 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I feel somewhat confident in this being the end result, but the game in Ogden worries me. And in almost any year, no matter what the difference in the teams, Cat-Griz is such a huge game, you can never mark it on the calendar as a W. Playing it in Bozeman makes me cautiously optimistic though.

Good thing it's only "cautiously optimistic" -- During the last 10 years the visiting team has won exactly half of the games (Cats in 2002 and 2010, Griz in 2001, 2007, and 2009). Home field has turned out to be virtually a non-issue in this game.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Good thing it's only "cautiously optimistic" -- During the last 10 years the visiting team has won exactly half of the games (Cats in 2002 and 2010, Griz in 2001, 2007, and 2009). Home field has turned out to be virtually a non-issue in this game.

I'm not sure that home field has turned out to be a non-issue. The results of the last 10 years being a split have nothing to do with the fact that crowd noise can cause a false start, make it tough to audible at the line or cause a TO to be taken. If you had wanted you could have even gone back 20 years and they would still only win 50% due to the Griz's 16 game streak. Being at home doesn't guarantee a win, but most people would agree that a home field advantage does exist. FWIW, I would be "cautiously optimistic" if the game were at Wa-Griz, too. I'm just a little more so with it being at Bobcat Stadium.

I Bleed Purple
October 20th, 2011, 12:17 AM
WSU-MSU traded road victories for awhile. MSU won in Bozeman last year. Time to return the favor. :)

Ginsbach
October 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM
My only prediction is that EWU wins all of their remaining games except for the last one. ISU will beat EWU in the last game of the season, effectively killing EWU's playoff hopes.

A man can dream, can't he?

JALMOND
October 20th, 2011, 12:58 AM
My only prediction is that EWU wins all of their remaining games except for the last one. ISU will beat EWU in the last game of the season, effectively killing EWU's playoff hopes.

A man can dream, can't he?

Yes he can. But it is nice when those dreams come true. I'm still trying to figure out 2009. Or 2005.

Walkon79
October 20th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure that home field has turned out to be a non-issue. The results of the last 10 years being a split have nothing to do with the fact that crowd noise can cause a false start, make it tough to audible at the line or cause a TO to be taken. If you had wanted you could have even gone back 20 years and they would still only win 50% due to the Griz's 16 game streak. Being at home doesn't guarantee a win, but most people would agree that a home field advantage does exist. FWIW, I would be "cautiously optimistic" if the game were at Wa-Griz, too. I'm just a little more so with it being at Bobcat Stadium.

And this year it's a different "Home" than we've ever seen before :)

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM
And this year it's a different "Home" than we've ever seen before :)

Agreed:D. The new end zone expansion will make that end extremely loud, making offensive communcation difficult for the Griz. xnodx