PDA

View Full Version : A Forgettable Rivalry

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Not only did the Washington DC mayor no-show the D.C. Mayor's Cup on Saturday between Georgetown and Howard, the coach of the Bison was unaware of the trophy presentation:

"Following the game, we saw Howard's Head Coach had asked about how they wanted to proceed with the trophy presentation. He had not been aware of it and was unsure how to get into the trophy case to bring the cup out to the field. Kudos are in order for [asst. coach] Luke Thompson, who went back to Coach Harrell's office and was able to help slide the glass door open to get the Mayor's Cup and bring it back to the team to bring back to the Hilltop."

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101811aaa.html

Go...gate
October 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Sometimes that stuff happens. Congratulations on the victory and the progress you guys are making. The hard work looks like it is beginning to pay off. Keep it up!

I think Colgate-Georgetown will be a hell of a game.

TheBisonator
October 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
What are the chances that wins for Georgetown = Stadium upgrades??

GT has such a beautiful looking campus, I would hate to see that be the location for possibly the worst stadium in FCS.

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
What are the chances that wins for Georgetown = Stadium upgrades??
GT has such a beautiful looking campus, I would hate to see that be the location for possibly the worst stadium in FCS.

That's the only location, short of moving off-campus.

Based on past experience, this will not be settled soon. Yet another project has leapfrogged it.

ngineer
October 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM
A shame to hear about the fiasco, but the only antidote to disinterest is to keep winning. If you knock off the Raiders this weekend, you should start hearing a buzz.

Squealofthepig
October 18th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Just as another positive anecdote, I had the Hoyas in my ballot this week (albeit at #25). You're having a solid season, and I hope to keep voting for ya!

Bogus Megapardus
October 18th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I just took a look, and Howard athletics doesn't even mention the Mayor's Cup in its game summary. That seems really odd. This is a game that makes abundant sense on a number of levels.

superman7515
October 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Howard fans and alums don't like the game at all. The feel if the situation is if they win, who cares? If they lose, how the heck did you lose to Georgetown? And that they're in some way helping Georgetown because "black people will go to the game at Georgetown, but the whites won't come to the game at Howard" so they're just putting money in Georgetown's pocket and playing meaningless games that can only hurt them in the long run with recruiting and relevancy in DC.

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Howard fans and alums don't like the game at all. The feel if the situation is if they win, who cares? If they lose, how the heck did you lose to Georgetown? And that they're in some way helping Georgetown because "black people will go to the game at Georgetown, but the whites won't come to the game at Howard" so they're just putting money in Georgetown's pocket and playing meaningless games that can only hurt them in the long run with recruiting and relevancy in DC.

Wow. What if everyone took a similar attitude? I certainly hope that isn't the view of a majority of Howard fans/administrators. Princeton and Hampton don't seem to have a problem.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Funny, but the same thing happened with Lafayette-Lehigh. "You mean there's a trophy? Oh we lost it."

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Funny, but the same thing happened with Lafayette-Lehigh. "You mean there's a trophy? Oh we lost it."

With Howard it seems to be indifference. With Lehigh it's either competitive fervor, or spite, depending on your point of view. But we don't really need a trophy. Everybody knows what we're playing for and there's no lack of enthusiasm even after 150 years. Besides, in the best of years, the trophy handed out at the end of our game is the PL championship trophy - as it should be. xnodx

And yes, now that you've asked, it is indeed possible to turn any thread into one about The Rivalry.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM
That's because there is only one that matters... though the Bird Turds would have you believe it is Hamilton when they are riding high.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Putting money in Georgetown's pocket by packing Multi-sport field? Really?

More seriously, it shows that bridging the cultural divide between "country-clubby" Georgetown and "urban culture-centric" Howard has a long way to go, and a couple of football games aren't going to bridge the divide by itself. While close together geographically, their only sort-of similarity as institutions is their academic focus on politics, and that their schools have the highest academic standards in their respective conferences. After that, though, they're about as similar as Northwestern and Liberty.

I actually have been to see a game at Howard, and the folks at Georgetown could learn a thing or two about creating a decent, cozy football stadium near campus from them. But years of uncompetitiveness have meant that their focus isn't on playoffs or MEAC championships, and instead is on the smaller battles with other HBCU's. I went on Homecoming against North Carolina A&T, which was darned near a sellout and I had a great time, but it didn't have much to do with the FCS playoff race, or, for that matter, the MEAC title race.

If "white people won't go to the game at Howard", that's ridiculous, and I find that hard to believe.

ngineer
October 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
With Howard it seems to be indifference. With Lehigh it's either competitive fervor, or spite, depending on your point of view. But we don't really need a trophy. Everybody knows what we're playing for and there's no lack of enthusiasm even after 150 years. Besides, in the best of years, the trophy handed out at the end of our game is the PL championship trophy - as it should be. xnodx

And yes, now that you've asked, it is indeed possible to turn any thread into one about The Rivalry.

Very true about not having a trophy. Despite suggestions over the years,the fact that one has not been created or agreed upon seems to say that no trophy of any kind is adequate to represent the feelings brought on by winning The Rivalry game.

DFW HOYA
October 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
The use of The Rivalry as some sort of brand is not effective. Ask someone outside central Pennsylvania what The Rivalry game is and I'm fairly sure they will not answer "Lehigh and Lafayette."'

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM
The use of The Rivalry as some sort of brand is not effective. Ask someone outside central Pennsylvania what The Rivalry game is and I'm fairly sure they will not answer "Lehigh and Lafayette."'

OK.

superman7515
October 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hey LFN, clear out some space in your inbox.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Done.

And "The Rivalry" will be known to one and all as Lehigh vs. Lafayette. Just give it time. xsmiley_wix

WileECoyote06
October 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Putting money in Georgetown's pocket by packing Multi-sport field? Really?

More seriously, it shows that bridging the cultural divide between "country-clubby" Georgetown and "urban culture-centric" Howard has a long way to go, and a couple of football games aren't going to bridge the divide by itself. While close together geographically, their only sort-of similarity as institutions is their academic focus on politics, and that their schools have the highest academic standards in their respective conferences. After that, though, they're about as similar as Northwestern and Liberty.

I actually have been to see a game at Howard, and the folks at Georgetown could learn a thing or two about creating a decent, cozy football stadium near campus from them. But years of uncompetitiveness have meant that their focus isn't on playoffs or MEAC championships, and instead is on the smaller battles with other HBCU's. I went on Homecoming against North Carolina A&T, which was darned near a sellout and I had a great time, but it didn't have much to do with the FCS playoff race, or, for that matter, the MEAC title race.

If "white people won't go to the game at Howard", that's ridiculous, and I find that hard to believe.

I wouldn't be shocked. This is the same reason A&T fans gave for discontinuing their series with Elon. When your team isn't in a position to challenge for playoff spots and conference championships consistently, then the bottom line becomes your primary focus. Georgetown and Howard nearly have 28,000 students combined (plus plenty of alums in the DC area). The game should sell out at both stadiums. xnodx

BTW, homecoming is a near-guaranteed sellout at any HBCU, regardless of who the opponent is.

DFW HOYA
October 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't be shocked. This is the same reason A&T fans gave for discontinuing their series with Elon. When your team isn't in a position to challenge for playoff spots and conference championships consistently, then the bottom line becomes your primary focus. Georgetown and Howard nearly have 28,000 students combined (plus plenty of alums in the DC area). The game should sell out at both stadiums. xnodx BTW, homecoming is a near-guaranteed sellout at any HBCU, regardless of who the opponent is.

Attendance at last week's game? 1,891.

Both schools have about 6,500 undergraduates, and yes, there's no recent winning tradition for either to bank on, but still there's no good excuse for Howard to draw so poorly, and not even bring its band to a HOME game.

WileECoyote06
October 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Attendance at last week's game? 1,891.

Both schools have about 6,500 undergraduates, and yes, there's no recent winning tradition for either to bank on, but still there's no good excuse for Howard to draw so poorly, and not even bring its band to a HOME game.
Agreed on all points. The band was in NC for a battle of the bands, but that was sunday.

OhioHen
October 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM
The band was in NC for a battle of the bands

And THAT is MUCH more important than some lousy football game at most if not all HBCUs.

Doc QB
October 20th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Neither school is in central PA, DFW, both are situated almost equidistant from NYC and Philly, and many alumni reside along that corridor. A great number like to get back for it, it still matters. And even if nationally, no one knows who participates in what we affectionately call, The Rivalry, we dont care. My dad is an alum, played in a few. I have seen over twenty and was suited up to play in two, and took my now five year old son to his first in 2009. He and his three year old brother will be there this year with my father and me.

If some years the Colgate matchup has greater conf race ramifications, sure we may talk up a rivalry with 'gate. If LU or Laff has playoff aspirations to consider, sure the game has a different tone because it may not be the last game of the year. But, the game is still important and is one of the best weekends on either campus each year.

Bogus Megapardus
October 20th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Jealousy, that's all.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1656/lehighlafayette3crop.jpg

The Rivalry pre-game, 2010, March Field - Lafayette College

WestCoastAggie
October 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Wow. What if everyone took a similar attitude? I certainly hope that isn't the view of a majority of Howard fans/administrators. Princeton and Hampton don't seem to have a problem.

Well it's not like Georgetown helps sellout Greene but then again, if it isn't Homecoming, where Diddy could pop up in the stands, Howard really has a tough time selling out their stadium.

WestCoastAggie
October 20th, 2011, 09:22 AM
And THAT is MUCH more important than some lousy football game at most if not all HBCUs.

It is what it is. Can't knock the [culture].

GAD
October 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
May on the east coast, but not on the gulf coast!

dgtw
October 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I used to work with a black guy who said he went to a lot of HBCU games. He said he didn't care about seeing the band or any of that other crap, he just wanted to watch the game.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Yes, LFN, Get out your vacuum cleaner.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM

A few years back, there was a popular website poll where Lehigh-Lafayette was selected by fans (and ballot-stuffers) as the top rivalry in college football.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 20th, 2011, 11:08 PM
A few years back, there was a popular website poll where Lehigh-Lafayette was selected by fans (and ballot-stuffers) as the top rivalry in college football.

I'm sure the ballot stuffers had the most to do with that. If it was limited to FCS I could see Lehigh/Lafayette being the popular consensus, but if you ask a random sampling of run of the mill college football fan's I'd wager that Michigan/Ohio State, Auburn/Alabama, Army/Navy, or Harvard/Yale would get the nod for the top rivalry in college football. I'd be surprised if Lehigh/Lafayette even made the top ten.

Of course, none of that really matters, nor does the branding of 'The Rivalry' as long as the game continues to sell out and create buzz locally for both teams.