PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stategies.

catbob
May 18th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I think it would be a fun thread to talk about any trickery your team likes to do.

The Bobcats have our starting QB do the punting, and he usually finishes in the top 5 in net yards. He does a rolling punt, rolls out to the right and then line drives it down field, works really well on turf. Plus there is always the threat of a fake, keeps the defense on guard.

I've seen a couple teams have 2 guys back to receive, one about 50 yards back and one about 25 yards back, to catch the line drive if possible. Also they stack the right side because he always rolls to that side. I personally would rather see us use a true punter, but it has worked the last few years.

bisonguy
May 18th, 2005, 05:07 PM
About the only trickery NDSU has is a punt out of a FG formation with a direct snap to the kicker. Usually pins the other team inside the five.

kmax
May 18th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I think it would be a fun thread to talk about any trickery your team likes to do.

The Bobcats have our starting QB do the punting, and he usually finishes in the top 5 in net yards. He does a rolling punt, rolls out to the right and then line drives it down field, works really well on turf. Plus there is always the threat of a fake, keeps the defense on guard.

I've seen a couple teams have 2 guys back to receive, one about 50 yards back and one about 25 yards back, to catch the line drive if possible. Also they stack the right side because he always rolls to that side. I personally would rather see us use a true punter, but it has worked the last few years.
Seems like I remember one of the spring articles had Kramer saying Lulay would also be doing some normal style punts this year out of a regular punt formation. Which style of punt would depend Would be good as the threat of a fake would still be there but should limit alot of the negatives of the rolling punt.

The rolling punt thing is definately unique, at least I had never seen it before the Cats began using it a couple years ago.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM
My favorite is on a 3rd and long play, a team will line up in a regular formation and punt away, which is similar to what you talk about. Sam hasn't done it while I've been here, but some of our opponents have. There's enough former HS punters who are QBs out there to pull it out, I'm not surprised that it happens.

Those unexpected punts, they really throw people off...

Oh, Sam does do one thing...in our spring game, our FB had more throwing touchdowns (2) than any of the QBs. He doesn't have the best arm, but he's been utilized...threw one to our QB.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM
About the only trickery NDSU has is a punt out of a FG formation with a direct snap to the kicker. Usually pins the other team inside the five.

Don't forget QB turned WR Nick Jacksons Double-Reverse TD Pass to the QB on 4th down.

charliej
May 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Nova's thrown the RB pass a couple of times. Last year vs Penn. we had a 4th & 2 from around the Penn 45.They lined up to punt,then snapped the ball to Ventrone who bolted for a first down.

Tribe4SF
May 18th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Tribe has run flea-flicker and a variety of RB and WR passes. A few years ago they ran a fake double reverse with a throw back to QB Dave Corley for a 50 yd. TD.

bisonguy
May 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Don't forget QB turned WR Nick Jacksons Double-Reverse TD Pass to the QB on 4th down.

Shhhhh......

You can't show 'em all your cards. ;)

LBPop
May 18th, 2005, 08:41 PM
What some are describing in this thread is a modernized version of the Quick Kick. In a defensive battle, it can be a huge weapon. Of course, the 'T' formation lead to its disappearance, but the Shotgun and its variations have put the QB back where he can "punt" on 3rd down. It was even a big weapon in the pros--I believe Sammy Baugh still holds the NFL single season punting record while a tailback in the single wing for the Redskins. He did it by frequently kicking that old round ball with a forward end over end spin. With nobody back to catch it, that thing could roll 60+ yards on those old hard northeastern fields in the winter.

No no wise remarks, please. I am not old enough to have seen Baugh play (close, though :( ). I simply have always loved this game and learned as much history as I could. Thought a few on this board might feel the same way. ;)

GreatAppSt
May 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM
On third or fourth and short for a firstdown or goal the fake QB timeout call with direct snap to the RB is pretty cool to see.

eaglefan452
May 18th, 2005, 10:16 PM
GSU's trick plays are cool. The coolest one I have ever seen is where the quarterback takes the snap, and get ready for this, throws the ball to a receiver who happens to be wide open because he is faster than anybody on the defense and every defender and his mother is stacked up on the line to stop the run. Pretty "tricky" huh? :D :D :D

Grizo406
May 19th, 2005, 12:46 AM
The Griz are STILL trying to perfect the shovel pass...when we do, watch out!!!

Look for it a lot this season from us. :D

DemiGS
May 19th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Although I have yet to see this at GSU... My high school team (who also ran the option) would occasionally have a play where the offense would break a timeout and leave one receiver standing just inbounds facing the coach like he was not even in the play. I saw that play catch several defenses completely unprepared, and providing the QB could hit a wide open man usually led to big yardage.

blueballs
May 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Although I have yet to see this at GSU... My high school team (who also ran the option) would occasionally have a play where the offense would break a timeout and leave one receiver standing just inbounds facing the coach like he was not even in the play. I saw that play catch several defenses completely unprepared, and providing the QB could hit a wide open man usually led to big yardage.

That's a penalty in NCAA football. All players have to be in a huddle if there is a huddle and the huddle can't break with more than 11.

Proud Griz Man
May 19th, 2005, 10:21 AM
GSU's trick plays are cool. The coolest one I have ever seen is where the quarterback takes the snap, and get ready for this, throws the ball to a receiver who happens to be wide open because he is faster than anybody on the defense and every defender and his mother is stacked up on the line to stop the run. Pretty "tricky" huh? :D :D :D

It seems like we saw this GSU trick play during the fourth quarter of the 1-AA playoff loss to New Hampshire. I think its called a "fourth down incomplete pass". ;)

SoCon48
May 19th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Ouch. :(

NoCoDanny
May 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
The Statue of Liberty play. It's our bread and butter, we run it at least 3 or 4 times a game.

blueballs
May 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM
It seems like we saw this GSU trick play during the fourth quarter of the 1-AA playoff loss to New Hampshire. I think its called a "fourth down incomplete pass". ;)

We also saw it in the second quarter of the 2000 NC game where J.R. Revere found Chris Johnson so alone he was the only guy in the picture for a TD after the obligatory play action fake.

eaglefan452
May 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Hey, even GSU has times where some plays don't work. I know it is hard to imagine, I can only think of a few times myself. ;)

GrizFoo
May 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Don't forget the absolutely devastating (for the Griz, that is) Globe of Death.
It is embarrassing even mentioning it.