PDA

View Full Version : Question for ODU fans - tailgating

ur2k
October 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
We're trying to get plans in place for the trip to Norfolk a few weeks and have heard that tailgating for visitors is not easy to do. What's the deal, is it possible? What are the public lot options, if any? UR is having Spider Club event at the Webb University Center so we're trying to figure out if we need to buy tickets for that.

I'm sure the JMU fans coming to town before us have the same questions.

VBR_Productions
October 18th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Parking lots designated for tailgating go exclusively to season ticket holders. There were rumors of assigning one lot going forward to fans of visiting teams but I don't know the status of that. We have several season ticket holders who don't even get passes to these lots so they park in one of the general parking garages and meet up with friends at the lots. The Monarch Grille is a couple blocks from the stadium and downtown Norfolk is only a few miles away (if you're not familiar with the area) with lots of bars.

The best I can tell you is to (1) call your athletic department, (2) call the ODU ticket office at 757-683-4444 for a more official response, or (3) post on message boards to see if you can buy a pass from someone. That's not the most friendly answer for fans of visiting teams but with limited space available that goes to our highest donors, that's the hand fans are dealt.

Poly's Brutality
October 19th, 2011, 02:03 AM
When we went there last year, there were more than plenty of friendly types who enjoyed talking about the game with us, and we also brought some nice grape juice (apparently had fermented somewhat); maybe a clue is in there somewhere ;-). We had a great time. I bet there will be places of interest where people are also interested in what you have to say as long as you enjoy them, too. Very friendly, we had big group, too, about 12-15 who were also able to join in. It was along the major pathway in, from the first area of parking, if that helps!?

ur2k
October 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks VBR, that's what we heard but weren't sure if there were "non-official" lots where you could tailgate as long as you weren't being out of control with it. That's too bad that visiting fans can't be accommodated to tailgate. In the CAA, there are some groups of fans that travel well.