PDA

View Full Version : Question for the App State crowd

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Did not want to post this on the MMB for obvious reasons, so I figured I would solicit some input on here. I cannot speak for anybody else but I absolutely HATE the Delphi Forums layout that the MMB uses and rarely read or post there for that reason.

I registered a free address with ProBoards, which uses a similar layout as AGS. If anybody would be interested in joining an ASU board which uses that platform, let me know or give your vote and I will get it set up. If not then no worries, it didn't cost anything to register.

Any non-ASU people who would like to mix it up with us crazy mountain folk, free free to chime in as well.

UPDATED - Here is the link to the forum created: http://appstate.proboards.com

eaglewraith
October 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Delphi sucks goat dick.

Could be why App has used it for so long.

/obligatory Georgia Southern troll post

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'll join as well

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
....if it will let me register

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 06:20 PM
....if it will let me register

I'm not sure if you have to register at the particular board or if it can be done from the general ProBoards site. If enough people are interested, I will post a link to the forum once it is ready to rock.

Mntneer
October 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
This has come up a few times on the MMB itself. The admin there has no particular attachment to Delphi but a lot of the dinosaurs that post there sure seem to. Personally I agree and can't stand it. 10 years ago it was serviceable, today it's junk. That said, this has been tried before and failed (App Country). A forum is only good if enough people participate.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
This has come up a few times on the MMB itself. The admin there has no particular attachment to Delphi but a lot of the dinosaurs that post there sure seem to. Personally I agree and can't stand it. 10 years ago it was serviceable, today it's junk. That said, this has been tried before and failed (App Country). A forum is only good if enough people participate.

Absolutely. If nobody wants to leave the MMB then it is a moot point but I just can't stand that platform. I did not pay anything to register the site so if it does not work then I won't lose sleep over it, just wanted to give the option. If enough interest is shown in the coming days, I figure it is at least worth a shot.

MaxASU'81
October 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'd look at it....platform is not as important as ease of signing on....to me!

Go APPS!

Apphole
October 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Absolutely. Especially since I can't stand to go on Appfan any more. I like the blog posts, but some of the people that comment really get under my skin. I have a different alias there and I'm not sure which one I would move to this board if it works out.

ElonFirefighter
October 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure if you have to register at the particular board or if it can be done from the general ProBoards site. If enough people are interested, I will post a link to the forum once it is ready to rock.

you must register for each board. I created elonphans on proboards and its very user friendly. have any questions about it feel free to ask

Dblue
October 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
...have any questions about it feel free to ask

I have a question...Why are you an ***-hat? Your posts on that board are childish.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
you must register for each board. I created elonphans on proboards and its very user friendly. have any questions about it feel free to ask

I appreciate the help. I've cruised around the site to check out their boards and have been pretty impressed. If the idea gets going, I may have to take you up on that!

Block-A
October 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Personally, I don't visit the MMB at all.

All my App info I get here, or on goasu.com, or people actually at App.

Pretty close to the last thing I need in this life is one more MB to keep up with.

No offense, ofc. :)

asumike83
October 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Personally, I don't visit the MMB at all.

All my App info I get here, or on goasu.com, or people actually at App.

Pretty close to the last thing I need in this life is one more MB to keep up with.

No offense, ofc. :)

Nah, none taken. I figured there would be a handful of folks who would have no interest, which is why I decided to get a feeler before I put any effort into setting it up.

10 folks interested so far and a few others I have spoken to. I may put it up later this evening, take a "if you build it, they will come" approach and hope some lively conversation gets started.

ASUG8
October 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'd check it out. Aside from the blatant homerism in any fan site, the layout of MMB has kept me away from there.

ASUTodd
October 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Did not want to post this on the MMB for obvious reasons, so I figured I would solicit some input on here. I cannot speak for anybody else but I absolutely HATE the Delphi Forums layout that the MMB uses and rarely read or post there for that reason.

I registered a free address with ProBoards, which uses a similar layout as AGS. If anybody would be interested in joining an ASU board which uses that platform, let me know or give your vote and I will get it set up. If not then no worries, it didn't cost anything to register.

To see what their platform looks like, here is their support forum:
http://support.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=promotion

Any non-ASU people who would like to mix it up with us crazy mountain folk, free free to chime in as well.

My suggestion would be to contact the owner of the MMB and ask him to move it to whatever site you want or think is better. He's a fairly agreeable guy. The point is that it looks like you are just trying to be the "owner" of a new APP board... No need to fragment our fanbase even more. I say stick with MMB and ask him to move it to a more agreeable place. If that fails then do your own. Just a thought.

SpeedkingATL
October 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'd check it out. Aside from the blatant homerism in any fan site, the layout of MMB has kept me away from there.

+1 but I do currently post a little on MMB; many times a voice of reason and maturity is required.

asumike83
October 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
My suggestion would be to contact the owner of the MMB and ask him to move it to whatever site you want or think is better. He's a fairly agreeable guy. The point is that it looks like you are just trying to be the "owner" of a new APP board... No need to fragment our fanbase even more. I say stick with MMB and ask him to move it to a more agreeable place. If that fails then do your own. Just a thought.

Yeah, he is definitely a cool guy. I made a post on there about how much I disliked the Delphi forum a few months back. His response was that he was not tied to them at all but that there were a good number of members that for whatever reason, do not want to switch from the Delphi platform. It might be worthwhile to drop him a line first and I may end up doing that, but he did not sound like he was prepared to move the MMB.

The last thing I want to do is divide the ASU crowd and I could honestly do without the headache of being the Admin on a message board but I just really hate that platform. I enjoy talking to all the people on this board but there are many topics that nobody outside the ASU fanbase cares about and the MMB website keeps me away.

Mntneer
October 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
The MMB admin (understandably) seems to want to please most of the members with regard to the board's home. But anyone who's spent any time over there surely realizes that the likelihood of a move is slim to none given the average members aversion to change. So while a conversation might do some good, if people really want an alternative they're just going to have to push ahead IMO.

ASUTodd
October 18th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, he is definitely a cool guy. I made a post on there about how much I disliked the Delphi forum a few months back. His response was that he was not tied to them at all but that there were a good number of members that for whatever reason, do not want to switch from the Delphi platform. It might be worthwhile to drop him a line first and I may end up doing that, but he did not sound like he was prepared to move the MMB.

The last thing I want to do is divide the ASU crowd and I could honestly do without the headache of being the Admin on a message board but I just really hate that platform. I enjoy talking to all the people on this board but there are many topics that nobody outside the ASU fanbase cares about and the MMB website keeps me away.

Its all good man! I actually like the Delphi layout more than the AGS layout, that's why I don't post here. I'll go wherever the crowd is. I will say that the Delphi forum is MUCH better than the lame layout the ECU (Boneyard banter) crowd has...

Mntneer
October 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Its all good man! I actually like the Delphi layout more than the AGS layout, that's why I don't post here. I'll go wherever the crowd is. I will say that the Delphi forum is MUCH better than the lame layout the ECU (Boneyard banter) crowd has...

Yikes. Poor use of screen real estate, horrible fonts, intrusive ads. To each their own I guess. But I think we can all agree that ECU board is horrible!

boonedocks
October 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM

No doubt! Virginia Tech has a message board with that same layout as ECU. I can't believe anyone actually uses that. Delphi is so far superior to that layout it's not even funny. It seriously blows my mind people use those sites.

StorminASU
October 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'll definitely use a new board, that one is so old. If it's just a bunch of the old guard that want to stick with it, they'd probably like to talk amongst themselves anyway. We'll just clear it up a little.

wb247
October 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm for something new. I absolutely detest the delphi system. It's gotten better now that some of the stuff actually loads for me, but it used to be simply unusable for me, whether I liked it or not. I guess the change in ownership came with some hardware upgrades.

AppCountry was great; I hate that it failed. I don't even look at blog posts anymore on AppFan, just to keep myself from getting sucked in to one of their mind-numbing conversations.

That said, I have some experience with zetaboards/proboards, if there's anything I can do, lemme know. I guess I'll get an email if you PM me? If not, I won't notice it for about a month. Additionally, I'd wait to see if we are impacted by conference realignments. If/when we land elsewhere, there may be a conference board we can get tacked onto.

If there's a change and one has to be made from scratch, take input on what people who use MMB like about it and what people who don't use it dislike about it. I really like how threads for all of the sports and general discussion are sorted independently. If a new option didn't do that, I wouldn't make the change -there's more to black and gold than football season. I hate the frames.

I'll also agree that ECU has simply the worst message board I've ever looked at. There's no way to sort junk from real info with that nested format they use. The CUSA board through NCAABBS isn't much better, but at least it's not nested and they're surrounded by conference mates.

asumike83
October 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I like AppFan itself but sometimes the commenters (or one in particular) can really ruin it. I will definitely send you a PM with any questions that I will surely have, and you will get an e-mail notification unless you turned the notifications off.

It is pretty easy to sort the categories, so I would definitely set up different sub-topics for football, basksetball, other sports, general discussion, etc. It looks like there are at least enough people interested to give it a shot so I'll set it up and if it loses out to a better conference board later, so be it. I'm hoping it works out but if people don't decide to utilize it then no sweat, I haven't made any financial investment.

GlassOnion
October 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Can you weed out the nutters please?

AppStsGr8
October 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Personally, I'm fine with the MMB where it is. If the current admin at MMB moved the board, I'd move. I've enjoyed meeting some folks over there and like having an App-only board for family "chats". I'm not so much interested in following two different App boards. If it's all App, it's all good!

asumike83
October 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
OK gentlemen, I have got it set up. Very basic but fully functional. Let me know if you have any issues registering, I created a thread on there for any critiques, suggestions, etc.

http://appstate.proboards.com

asumike83
October 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Can you weed out the nutters please?

Yes. I'd say 3 'Fire Jerry' threads earns a lifetime ban.

asknoquarter21
October 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I am interested

I don't like the layout on MMB at all hence why I rarely post there. I would certainly post more on a different format, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

asumike83
October 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I am interested

I don't like the layout on MMB at all hence why I rarely post there. I would certainly post more on a different format, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

It would be a great thing, I enjoy your posts. Sign up!

ThompsonThe
October 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
On MMB it would be great to easily add some pictures, but basically like the one message at a time, with links to previous messages they are referring to posted.
You do not say what you would change it to. What, something like this board? Sure do not want something like ECU's Bones board, that thing is so hard to follow that I lose interest just reading it. Plus seems to restrict replies quit a bit, or people just give up on posting.

asumike83
October 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM
On MMB it would be great to easily add some pictures, but basically like the one message at a time, with links to previous messages they are referring to posted.
You do not say what you would change it to. What, something like this board? Sure do not want something like ECU's Bones board, that thing is so hard to follow that I lose interest just reading it. Plus seems to restrict replies quit a bit, or people just give up on posting.

Yes, the layout is similar to this board, posting pictures is pretty easy (see the look-alike thread just started this morning) and it does allow you do quote the message you are replying to.

Here is the link if you'd like to check it out: http://appstate.proboards.com