PDA

View Full Version : Tribe Football Movin' Up!

Tribe4SF
April 30th, 2006, 05:29 AM
A look at Jimmye Laycock, and how he built a successful program with limited support and meager facilities.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-fairbank_apr29,0,840797.column?page=1&coll=dp-sports-columnists (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-fairbank_apr29,0,840797.column?page=2&coll=dp-sports-columnists)

Link goes to page 2 of the article. Click previous to get to first page.

vmisport
April 30th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Jimmy and W&M have consistently produced excellent teams with quality student/athletes. It is a program for all D1 to emulate.

DFW HOYA
April 30th, 2006, 11:39 AM
A look at Jimmye Laycock, and how he built a successful program with limited support and meager facilities.

Meager facilities? W&M has it better than a lot of schools.

Tribe4SF
April 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM

True, but then Georgetown is not our competition. When Jimmye started, our facilities were awful. I was in that freshman locker room with him. It doubled as the kinesiology lab. Reeked of formaldahyde, and frequently had cadavers in there with us.

Once the football center is built, we'll be as well off as anyone. 30,000 sq. ft. for football only.

DFW HOYA
April 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
True, but then Georgetown is not our competition....
Once the football center is built, we'll be as well off as anyone. 30,000 sq. ft. for football only.

Well, both schools should be, but that's for another topic. If the Tribe can schedule VMI, it can do the same for Georgetown at some point (Washington to WM: 150 miles; Lexington to WM: 188 miles).

W&M should end up in the top 3 in the A-10/CAA on facilities, probably trailing UD and maybe JMU, but ahead of UR, Villanova, Towson and the New England schools.

89Hen
April 30th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Compared to some of the A10 they are meager. I'm guessing a little but I think W&M may have the second most wins in the A10 since joining. Anyone feel like doing the math?

BTW, Zable has to be one of the weirdest stadiums in the fact that on the visitor side there are no seats between the 40's.

https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/TRImages/Zable%20Stadium%20-%20William&Mary.jpg

Go...gate
April 30th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Great story; Laycock is a credit to college athletics.

DTSpider
April 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM
W&M should end up in the top 3 in the A-10/CAA on facilities, probably trailing UD and maybe JMU, but ahead of UR, Villanova, Towson and the New England schools.

JMU is probably easily the best. UR is spending a ton of money as well. UR already has a field turf practice field. Looking at spending $20 million on a new on-campus stadium. Completely re-did the weight facility last year, put in new practice locker rooms and that'll be expanded as the new $15 million student athletic facility opens next year.

In this case W&M is just keeping up with everyone else. It's a real arms race for facilities in the CAA. Everyone in the south is really looking to upgrade. Towson has a new stadium. 'Nova will have to do something soon or they'll really lose out.

Tribe4SF
May 1st, 2006, 06:34 AM
Well, both schools should be, but that's for another topic. If the Tribe can schedule VMI, it can do the same for Georgetown at some point (Washington to WM: 150 miles; Lexington to WM: 188 miles).

Tribe has played VMI 83 times, second only to Richmond for length of the series. Our games with them also draw well, and it's not likely they'll be off our schedule any time soon. Last time we played Georgetown was 1934.

I wouldn't mind playing the Hoyas, but your attendance and capacity probably preclude it. We're in for another two years with Liberty, and we'll see how that goes. The team I want us to play every year is Hampton.

DFW HOYA
May 1st, 2006, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't mind playing the Hoyas, but your attendance and capacity probably preclude it. We're in for another two years with Liberty, and we'll see how that goes. The team I want us to play every year is Hampton.

Well, it's a future consideration then.

A 4,500 seat facility is under "extended" construction at Georgetown, which should be enough for a game like that. VMI and Brown have already played there, as will Penn and Yale in two years, but it seems very difficult to attract any interest from A-10/CAA teams.

BigDukeDawg
May 1st, 2006, 08:39 PM
no bull****ten, and definately no disrespect i didnt even know georgetown had a football team... being from hampton i knew they had a basketball team (AI) but i thought they were on some type of suspension because of misconduct or somethin... is georgetown makin big moves (other than the facility) to push their football program big time?

BigDukeDawg
May 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
then again, my ignorance has been displayed because i dont keep up with the patriot league too much... whata ass

DFW HOYA
May 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM
no bull****ten, and definately no disrespect i didnt even know georgetown had a football team... being from hampton i knew they had a basketball team (AI) but i thought they were on some type of suspension because of misconduct or somethin... is georgetown makin big moves (other than the facility) to push their football program big time?

Georgetown started its program in 1874. It dropped out of major college (I-A level) football in 1951 for financial reasons (not misconduct) and revived its program in 1964. However, the only Virginia school it has played over the last 15 or so years has been VMI (the schools split the series).

The stadium issue is vital, but the school's immediate need is to fully fund its grants. It competes at about one-third of the budget of other Patriot schools and that translates into depth problems at skill positions. It's like playing college basketball with five scholarships instead of 13. Eventually, the lack of depth is exposed.

BigDukeDawg
May 3rd, 2006, 01:47 AM
i see

WMTribe90
May 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
I'd like to see a one time home and home series with Georgetown in a couple years once the new facility is completed and hopefully G-Town continues to make some strides on the field while increasing scholarship numbers. This matchup has alot going for it:

1) Proximity, cheap and easy road game
2) Lots of WM alums in the DC area
3) Would be good to get some press in the DC market where WM recruits a good bit
4) Matchup of two schools with similar academic profiles

I have no real interest in playing Liberty on a regualr basis. They don't bring a ton of fans to Williamsburg and I don't see a real intense rivalry develping there even though they're in state. My ideal OOC schedule for WM is VMI and a IA game every year. The third OOC game would alternate between Hampton and a matchup with an Ivy/Patriot opponent. I'd like to see a Harvard, Lafayette, Bucknell, Penn, Georgetown, etc on the schedule every other year.