PDA

View Full Version : AppSt: What are the chances...

Appaholic
October 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM
...App would pursue Everett Withers once Coach Moore retires? With the loss to Miami in front of the new AD yesterday, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion (IMO) that he's just keeping the seat warm at Carolina. If not him, who? Your thoughts.....

Apphole
October 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Scott Satterfield

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
If I was App, Satterfield all the way

Appaholic
October 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
You'd both take a coach with no direct headcoaching experience over a coach who has at least one year head-coaching experience in a BCS conference? With a current record of 5-2? Interesting...

Apphole
October 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
You'd both take a coach with no direct headcoaching experience over a coach who has at least one year head-coaching experience in a BCS conference? With a current record of 5-2? Interesting...

Aka the brain behind arguably the best offense in FCS history. As long as it's not jr I'm happy.

GaSouthern
October 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM

it's working for GSU

eaglewraith
October 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Aka the brain behind arguably the best offense in FCS history. As long as it's not jr I'm happy.

I'll argue best offense in FCS history with 6 national championships.

Go Apps
October 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Moore will not be leaving anytime soon but when he does we need a coach that intends to stay for the long haul and not leave like Moore

GlassOnion
October 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Tressel?

Mikeyosef
October 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Tressel? Not a bad idea...we all know how much he hates Michigan and if he signs up soon he could play them again with App State.:D

Skjellyfetti
October 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Withers would be a good hire if Moore was retiring this offseason. But... I think Moore is sticking around for awhile longer. Withers will be snatched up by someone in the meantime.

We do have a lot of successful coaches with Appalachian ties, thankfully. Another possibility off the radar might be Pete Shinnick... who has done a good job restarting UNC-Pembroke's program.

But, I'll also say this... if we're moving to FBS.... the hire to replace Moore is absolutely HUGE. Can't overemphasize it. It will make or break us. I think Cobb will make a good hire though... because his career prospects probably hang on the decision. If we move up and are relatively successful, he'll get some big athletic departments coming after him, imo.

Go Apps
October 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Withers would be a good hire if Moore was retiring this offseason. But... I think Moore is sticking around for awhile longer. Withers will be snatched up by someone in the meantime.

We do have a lot of successful coaches with Appalachian ties, thankfully. Another possibility off the radar might be Pete Shinnick... who has done a good job restarting UNC-Pembroke's program.

But, I'll also say this... if we're moving to FBS.... the hire to replace Moore is absolutely HUGE. Can't overemphasize it. It will make or break us. I think Cobb will make a good hire though... because his career prospects probably hang on the decision. If we move up and are relatively successful, he'll get some big athletic departments coming after him, imo.

based on the recent moves in FBS there will be no place for ASU in the near future

Skjellyfetti
October 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
based on the recent moves in FBS there will be no place for ASU in the near future

based on the recent moves in FBS, it will be impossible to tell what the landscape will look like in 6-18 months. xtwocentsx

App-a-latch-un
October 16th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I think when/if the move happens should be when Moore steps down. New FBS program, new coach. No need for Moore to have to go out during that sort of transition.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM
There are plenty of people who have more experience than Scott Satterfield. Probably at the head of the list would be Tim Horton of Arkansas, a former Moore assistant and player, with John Settle of the Carolina Panthers and Stacy Searels of Georgia also on the top of the list. Any of them would be great for the program. There are no shortage of coaches like Withers from the family tree that have been head coaches, or NFL assistants, like George Edwards (DC at Washington and now Buffalo) and Steve Wilks..

SoCon48
October 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Scott Satterfield

He's making more as an assistant coach now than he possibly would as HC at ASU.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
He's making more as an assistant coach now than he possibly would as HC at ASU.

As are all of the other potential candidates. If ASU goes to FBS, there will have to be a significant bump up in salaries for the entire coaching staff.

SoCon48
October 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Whoever replaces Moore will have the fans on his back from day one. There are many who ride Moore's back this season after 21 winning seasons in FBS, not to mention 3 national championships and a win over Michigan. It's the old adage, "you're only as good as your last game."

seantaylor
October 17th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Appy is done. Got fat while GSU hired two retards in VG and Hatcher.

Appaholic
October 17th, 2011, 04:12 AM

I agree re: Moore & Withers with respect o immediate future......also agree the next hire is HUGE...